Speaker 1: You might be familiar with the cosmetic line Anastasia Beverly Hills. Today we are diving into a discussion with the president and founder of the company, Anastasia Soiree. I have known her since we were both broke. She has a friend. She is the real deal.
Speaker 2: She doesn't stop.
Speaker 1: She's a powerhouse, she's a workhorse, she's everything. This is just Be Influenced. Let's get into it. Okay, So everyone, this is Anastasia. Anastasia was on my talk show and on Just b but we haven't really talked about how we really like came up at the same time, in the same like in the same era frankly of the entertainment industry in La it was very different than now, and there were no weekends, like we worked seven days a week. We were happy to just we weren't even making money at all, like we were broke. Like, so I want to really I wanted you to be on Be Influenced because it's about influence now and how so many people are just selling all the time and how difficult the beauty industry is and how much it's changed. But let's just start to give the audience a background. What's your perspective of how we came into each other's lives and how far into your journey was that.
Speaker 3: Well, I met you when I was renting a tiny little room at ju Juan and just started and you and Michelle and Shannon, the group of girls that they're working, they were working in pr and supporting luxury brands or film or actress actress. We were together. I felt like we were like a group of girlfriends who used to go out. Do you remember parties? And it was amazing. Everybody wanted to find their way to make something. You know, I was trying to build a business, a client, tele you were trying to You did everything. You were such a hustler. I mean, I you, you will not give up. And we worked down stops seriously. I remember one night, you guys came from a party which was work for you, and was probably ten o'clock and you could see from boy shirt the light in my rented room and you start screaming like, yeah, she's here. So you guys you came in.
Speaker 1: There was a party at the line downstairs.
Speaker 3: Ten o'clock. I start doing your eyebrows and whatever I mean.
Speaker 2: And it discount.
Speaker 1: I just asked you you used to do it for me for sixty dollars, and I think it was more expensive for everybody else. I used to beg you to do it for sixty dollars, and I used to grapple with the fact that I had to find a way to tip you also because you're the owner, but I want to tip you, And that was every There was so much money to me, I couldn't afford it. So I'd do it like a couple four times a year, and you would say, they're growing in and they looked you have to do it more, but I couldn't. And how far into your journey was that? Like, so you are upstairs at Juan Juan, So how far into your beauty journey was that?
Speaker 3: Oh? When I was Juan Juan, I used to charge ten dollars and I just started. I came in United States almost ninety the end of eighty nine, and three years later.
Speaker 1: Wow, So I really did know you went like from the beginning the beginning.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Likewise, likewise, I was host to sing at Laskala, you know, the slinging salads for seven dollars an hour.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So there's no way you had any idea that you could build this right, like you overshot the mark.
Speaker 3: No oh, no, I had no idea. I just wanted to have to build a better life for me and my family. And I never, of course, I wanted to be significant. Of course, I wanted to do something. I want to prove myself first what I am capable of doing, like yourself, you want to do something for you like, okay.
Speaker 1: No, but I say that to you because I felt the hunger and like I didn't know where I was going and what was going to happen. And I didn't have a big plan. But I was like, just the work every day, like put the foot in front of the other and just go correct.
Speaker 3: This is exactly how it was. And you will grab you will go in one direction, and you saw that that will work, then you will put more effort into that direction. I mean, we tried so many things and you you were caught in at the end. You know you figured that out.
Speaker 1: I think it's like law, case law, Like now I'm a great business person, but just because of all the things that have happened and all the failures and mistakes, those are cases. It's case law. Lawyers every day go back and say, oh, in the case of Joe versus Jane. That happened, and so now remember when that happened. That's what we're doing, don't you.
Speaker 3: I think is the experience, the work. Everything we've done we remember, and you don't do twice the same mistake, right, I mean, if you don't fail, if you don't try, you will never know, you know. I think this is what made you today, and this is what made me today.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about this new world of influence and influence and I say influenced because after that crazy mescalegate thing, everyone started talking about ads and adding lashes and what the responsibility is of the brand. And it was crazy because on TikTok, for example, and Instagram, the customer thinks the content is real, so they're not used to the fact that it's a commercial. Because these young kids are watching twenty four hour a day commercials.
Speaker 2: When we watch.
Speaker 1: TV or open up Vogue, you know it's an ad or a commercial. So there's sort of this thing where even though it's airbrush and the person looks beautiful and you think they look beautiful in the back, you still kind of know that it's an ad. And so this world new world order where it's twenty four hours a day QVC selling, but no one's saying they're really selling. Even when they're not being paid, they're sort of selling so they might get paid. It's like a whole circular reference. So I remember having you on my podcast before this really became what it is, and you were one of the first on Instagram to really pop off as a beauty brand, and you were doing things before anyone else. And I remember looking at your content and all the incredible like beauty and makeup and all this stuff. But I didn't realize that that you don't have to pay all these people. Some of these people are just people that are influencers and you're just posting their content, right.
Speaker 3: You know, it started, It started very organic. We discover the Instagram. My daughter introduced me to Instagram, and I thought, wow, this is a great way of talking about my products, teaching the customer how to use the products. And we start following all the skills that in the closet. They will at night, they will do a tutorial or try to do makeup. The camera. If you remember, it didn't have a great the iPhone didn't have a great coming. So one year I went to China, and I discovered ring light. I bought few ring lights and I start sending to a few of the girls that we used to send the makeup, and we used to send them makeup, and you know they didn't need to will never ask oh do this or do that? Like do whatever you want. Well, it was all organic, and I think was a way to create this beautiful community of people who were trying to learn how to do makeup. Later on they became incredible artists because when you practice over and over, this is what happens.
Speaker 1: It's like cooking, and you're right, it's a rest cooking that you could do a bunch of different ingredients exactly and any different depths exactly.
Speaker 3: And then when later on when there were companies that they start measuring the MV, the earned media value, then the big companies thought, wow, what anastacioost how come she has two hundred millions MV. So then they start going to the biggest performer, and this is how it became paid advertising. But I think it all started organic, and of course now it turned into an industry. And that's the natural progression of everything if you just think about it, that it is.
Speaker 1: But I've watched and I want to hear from you because I think I have a good handle on it, only because I came in with brand new eyes the minute I started accidentally just posting about drug store stuff. Last April, I literally had makeup in my drawer that just either a makeup artist had left or someone had sent me, or I bought at an airport drug store.
Speaker 2: Like I had no plan.
Speaker 1: I would get my makeup done at any time I had to, and I've never been a big makeup person, so I have Like I opened my.
Speaker 2: Eyes and was like, oh my god, this is a world.
Speaker 1: Like I walked into TikTok and I walked into a room and then all those videos came and for the next six months, it's all I lived and started to understand.
Speaker 2: And I did think about.
Speaker 1: You because you were early, like you had an eyebrow business that was amazing, and you you pivoted and you shipped, and then you moved into the eyebrow accessories, and then you were at Nordstrom and you were doing the makeup, and like you kept moving and innovating, which.
Speaker 2: I realize is massive and so competitive.
Speaker 1: You have to be innovating all the time, and beauty it must be exhausting and really expensive. Because so I watched that, and then eventually a lot of newer brands, like I'm considering you in the world, not newer now, but newer like now what we grew up with stay Laud or Langcolm like this was a more modern day brand. And then I watched all these other brands coming in and now I watch TikTok is a new world. It's different than the world that you built on Instagram. You have to kind of learn a new language, and I want to know where you are in that language, and then where you are in this innovation vortex. Because the competition is way more than when you started. It's not even the same game. From my eyes, I'm watching someone could be on Nobody and have a not even great product, but if they do a viral video, everyone's buying it and it's garbage or good. I'm just saying, it's just a different world.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, You're totally right, and it's a natural progression. Now it's a new thing like Instagram was in twenty twelve, something new organically, it built this community that was doing just for fun. Then they start getting paid. Now is TikTok And I'm sure it's gonna move, It's going to change, because it's almost like a wave everything. Probably a few years from now on, something else will come up the AI that is so huge. So I think everything moves now. I think the consumer it's at the crossroad where they think, Okay, what do I believe or whatnot? Because yes, you push me, you do a great TikTok. I will buy this product, I will use it, and then maybe I would not like it. I'm disappointed. What I'm going to do.
Speaker 1: The problem is, I think there's an unfair pressure with beauty because what I've come to realize is that, yes, there are some things you like for some reason. It could be emotional, it could be a brand name, it could be a packaging.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: You're not putting the packaging on your face, but you like the way it feels no different than you know. You don't have to buy an air mez bag. I have a ton of Airms bags. You can buy another beautiful bag that has leather and stitching and hardware and it will do the same exact thing. But you chose to go into that store for whatever the reason is for that. And I think this like unfair pressure. Is being put on beauty that we're going to buy it and it's going to make all your dreams come true. And the pressure is on the influencer to make it like your dreams are gonna come to Your dreams are not gonna come true. This ten cream bronzers yours happens to be excellent. I tried it, so you want to make sure you're at least got a good product. And then people are getting more into the clean and the ingredients.
Speaker 2: But like, what do you want?
Speaker 3: What I want and what I stand for is always create amazing products. The quality should be amazing, use the best ingredients, the best quality ingredients, and come with innovation, you know, innovate kind of Even with my own products. When I started and I created the products in two thousand, the technology was different. I created the Palmad for instance, that was not waterproof because the technology was not good enough at that time. Well, in twenty fourteen we change the Palmd because the technology was good enough. In the laptore these.
Speaker 2: For the brown.
Speaker 3: So constantly I like to change, to improve, to do better for my customer. My goal and I always believe in this. You need to offer your customer the best and the customer knows, they will try many things and they know quality and they want but you want.
Speaker 1: To say something new. You usually want to say something new. And is that pressure on you to do that? Like you know, is your daughter who's involved in the business, both of us, it's both.
Speaker 2: Of you running the whole company and doing the innovation.
Speaker 3: Yes. Yes.
Speaker 1: When I said what do you want? I meant like it's about what she wants, like or he what what the customer wants?
Speaker 2: And I'm saying there are.
Speaker 3: Any different We listen to the customer. Yeah, by reading the comments, but being on top of everything, you listen to the customer because you need to offer what they want and what you anticipate that they will want, and they will they will. You could offer this is how it works.
Speaker 1: And what about the pressure of TikTok and how fast it is and how much messaging there is? How do you jump in there? How do you navigate that? How do you translate what you've done on Instagram to TikTok? Like how she did not pay?
Speaker 3: It's not peasy, it's very quick, it's very you know, entertaining, it's short to the point, and man, it's not easy. It's no definitely not easy. So it's a new language. Try to stay relevant because it is what it.
Speaker 1: Is, and how important are the influencers and how do you either avoid or lean into the temptation to keep up and have to have influencers and work with influencers because other people that I had never heard of, like Patrick Ta, got their way into the influencers. And so there are these brands that they're really influencer brands.
Speaker 2: I had never heard of Patrick Star Patrick. These are all TikTok brands to.
Speaker 1: Me, maybe I don't know anything, but that to me in my life, I never heard of them until I got on TikTok.
Speaker 3: Of course, of course, I mean you constantly you have to stay relevant, and not only that when I started remember doing Guybros. Two thousand, then being on on Oprah. Sure the people that watch that they are getting gold. So you constantly you have a new generation. A twelve thirteen, fourteen years old yes, wants to you know what I mean? I mean, I go to DOPR or do events in Sephora and I have a thirteen years old coming with her mom or dad and say, oh, I want to be like you. I want to have my own makeup.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so true. Every year you have a new happen a little.
Speaker 3: Constantly, of course, yeah, send the message constantly.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think it's the same with other industries, but more so with beauty, like it changes so often and the things they want, and you know, you can enter into a space for twenty dollars to get a mascare and feel like a new person by a new color or something. So it's different than other than other categories. What about how much should people trust what they're being told on social media by beauty influencers who are posting five times a day? How many? Oh my god, this is the best thing I ever had in my life when they I said five times a day.
Speaker 3: But look, the customers will know and at the end they will figure out what is good, what what is relevant, what they want? They they will and the customer is very smart. They will see in on TikTok and then they will go in store, they will try the products and then they will order. The customer is very smart.
Speaker 2: You can what about the twins? What about the kids? How smart they.
Speaker 3: Will figure out? I think that the kids are smarter than the adults. Trust me, Oh yes, they know they this is what they do. They go in the store. They will go and support our ulta with whatever product they saw on TikTok. They will try the product and then they will buy it.
Speaker 1: They don't advice. That's the best advice. Yeah, and I think it's.
Speaker 3: The best advice in my opinion. You know, don't don't just go and see yourself because sometimes maybe it works for me that product, but doesn't work for you.
Speaker 1: What's in your opinion, your best product you've ever done?
Speaker 3: Our best seller is the brow Whiz.
Speaker 2: The brow is the best seller. Is that? Do you think it's the best product you've ever I.
Speaker 3: Think all my products are the best, but our best seller is the braw Wiz. I love, I love them. The brow Freeze. The latest innovation that we had.
Speaker 1: That new bronzer I think is pretty amazing. The small bronze.
Speaker 3: Yes, I love the brow pan that you could create hairs like strokes. I like our consiler. Did you try our consiler is very good? Chris, the clear brow Jill, that's my.
Speaker 1: Favorite that I love because I'm not that I love. How much do you copy? And how much are you copied? Because I've seen in beauty it's almost impossible not to go with some trend that someone else has already done. It's a very it's different than handbags or shoes or any other section. Like, let's be honest, Like Charlotte Tilbury was doing those squeezy things. I don't know who else is doing. I mean, I don't know who started it, but in my life, those squeeze pens was her. And then I see Elf has a skinnier version, and Revolution has a version, and I see it as an Amazon version, and like everybody seems to be okay with that, influencers will promote that that also worked with Charlotte Tilbury. I would not have the stomach for being copied like that, like you with your gel or your brow, So like what's the name of the game and copying?
Speaker 3: But I end up to believe that copying is the biggest form of flattering. I invented eyebrows. They were not eye broke exactly, so every single product I stopped it from nothing from scratch, and then everybody else copying. But you know, what, what can you do? You you? I think I still believe nobody knows eyebrows better than me.
Speaker 1: No, I know that I know that, and I saw everybody copy you were back the way you were the first. You were the first do eyebrows in a way that was intentional, not just like a place to go get watched. You had an intention and fill in and a process and how you're going to grow them, and a whole thing I never thought about, and.
Speaker 3: The products and then the products.
Speaker 1: You were the first, yes, but that means you just constantly have to be so like you got to be first, and you gotta be well. The thing is like me. I always say, there were all these women in the same franchise, always watching what I was doing, but it doesn't matter what they were watching because I was onto the next thing already.
Speaker 3: So let me give you another example. Why we created this brow freeze a few years ago on Instagram was that trend to the soap eyebrows. They will have a soap with water and they will give a laminated look to their eyebrows. When the the water will evaporate, became flaky. And I looked at my daughter and I said, we should create a product that will have this result. But you don't need to have the that side of flakiness and all that. So we work probably a year and a half on creating this product because it's not that easy and needs to perform. Every product that I create has to perform well if it's supplied perfectly. And this is how we created. So innovation is something that comes from out of nowhere or something that probably the customer will desire to have something, and I create a product. So I believe in innovation. I will never copy anyone because I don't think anyone anyone.
Speaker 1: It's funny because we haven't talked about that. I haven't seen you copy anyone. And I've seen all the brands copy some and I honestly have I haven't seen you or I give.
Speaker 3: You another example. Contouring was in Hollywood Forever the makeup arties that using Kim they contour. Then Kim Kardashians start talking about how she contour her face and and then I sat down with my daughter and I said, oh, let's do them based on the golden ratio. Let's do a contry kit with with dark colors to contour and and light horror light colors to enhance the cheekbones and the contruring of the face. So that was an innovation. Okay, it sold out on Instagram. It's not like it didn't exist contruring, but you're able to bring to the public. This is what innovation is.
Speaker 2: I agree, No, you decide, yeah, exactly, I could.
Speaker 3: That's not then everybody else started doing control can.
Speaker 1: It's like you you could have your own contour program because of this palette. That that's innovation and that's yes, that's that's this.
Speaker 3: Is how it works.
Speaker 1: Yes, and so what all right? So what about taking on selling? You so your company, but you kept a percentage.
Speaker 3: I got a partner that has a minority stakes in the company just to be able to expand internationally.
Speaker 1: And was that all positive or their drawbacks all positive?
Speaker 3: It's great, all positive to help us with guidance. They had access to technology. They have access to many things that help us to expand internationally.
Speaker 1: And just remind me how it's divided between you and your daughter the business what you both what are each of your specialties. She's focused on all the influencer and social.
Speaker 3: Media, so that so I do we both work together? So when we decide to make a products and new products or work on something or maybe now we work on fifty products. Sometimes a product doesn't work and will drop it because if we are not one hundred percent in love with the products. We will not launch. Sometimes you create a products and because of the component doesn't work and then you have to start all over again. Or the stability test that takes six months in the lab, where it's just a very long process. So together we are doing the eye test the products for eyebrows. Even now after so many years, I approve every batch of every single product for eyebrows because the color changes. The raw materials I bought from a different part of the world, in different countries, and the like. A red could have a different undertone, could be a blue undertone, orange undertone, so that changes the color of the pencil, and I need to make sure I adjust every time when we could appear an order. So I do that with the eyebrow products. Claudia does that with the eyeshadow and all the makeup.
Speaker 1: So you're just going to keep going. You'll be like, you know, one hundred and five in the box, doing as I love you.
Speaker 3: Working and my daughter the SAME's the same thing. Oh my god, my daughter works seven days a week. Sometimes I tell her, I remember when she was young in school, she used to work for me part time and she used to be late and like, I can't believe you are late while you're like, mom, I don't want I want to have fun, I don't want to work. You are like a NonStop and now the other day, so like, you know, I think it's time for you to take some time off, take a week off, like, no, I can't.
Speaker 2: She got the bug, she got the.
Speaker 1: I will say this, I always say this. You deserve every bit of it. You honestly do.
Speaker 2: You're amazing.
Speaker 1: I'm so so excited to get to say that I knew you. It's so nostalgic. It's good to have someone that you know that like it was right there with you.
Speaker 3: And you know when you did. Do you remember when you did the opening party of the salon on Bedford Rive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, you let me do exactly like you let me do that. I just love and that meant everything to me. I just remember being so proud of you having that new gorgeous salon.
Speaker 2: You're so busy and.
Speaker 1: There was this waitless and I always felt so important that I'd be like, no, I'll walk in there and she'll take me. She'll take and you would see me and you would take me because I know you. Since the beginning and they'd be like famous people and billionaire wives. I love I need my freaking eyebrows done. I will tell you that right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Please, Well, I love you, Anastasia. I really appreciate you doing this. I will always help you in any way that I can. I love getting your products, and I love telling everybody on TikTok that I knew you went yes yeah, And I miss you and I love you.
Speaker 3: I'm so proud of you and I'm so happy, uh for everything you've done. And and please please groom your daughter to work with you, because you are I will build this incredible business. And it's for her.
Speaker 2: She's been doing these.
Speaker 1: She's been doing these beauty reviews because she thinks it's fun. Send her a PR package just for her coloring blonde and blue eyes. Just send it to her, because it's different when I just give her my stuff. She gets her own little PR. So like mom, I got sent PR. So she'll do a video for you. But I love you and I appreciate it. And you must think I'm nuts on my on the social but I've gone crazy. I'm like a middle aged crazy person.
Speaker 3: Now. Well, but that's why people are drown to to yours.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 3: You enjoy about this job? What do you love about it?
Speaker 2: The podcast is amazing, amazing. I'm like you.
Speaker 1: I just go where the passion takes me. There's something going on today that I've been fighting for people's rights, and like, now I'm this accidental activist that I didn't intend to be because it's just something I thought of. You know, relief work has been like that, so I thought I was kind of retiring. I was just kind of like just doing the things that I'm already doing and doing my podcast, and then all of a sudden, all these other things have opened up. So I just go where the fish are. I have no goal and I just do what I I just do where it takes me.
Speaker 3: I think you are passionate and authentic, and this is what is your juice. This is what is Bethany or about. If you're not passionate and authentic, you don't do it, right.
Speaker 1: I just so it's not Yeah, I did well, and so now the rest is gravy. It's like whatever I do, I can do what I want to do. I don't have the answer to anybody, and I just do what I want to do. So it's it's it has a rhyme or reason, and that I'm always playing chess.
Speaker 3: But I'm so lucky, Bethany. We are so lucky.
Speaker 2: We do what we love exactly.
Speaker 1: I love you, and I want to get together with you in La the next time I come.
Speaker 3: And Island came.
Speaker 1: Right now, we have to book eyebrows and book a lunch or dinner with an associate, and you.
Speaker 3: Don't come to my house, and we'll your house.
Speaker 1: Thank you, love you, Bye, guys,