Speaker 1: Coming up.
Speaker 2: We're talking training camp things we expect to see from the rookies in the vest.
Speaker 3: We're talking to Santana malls.
Speaker 1: That means we gotta talk about scary terry.
Speaker 3: What about July fourth?
Speaker 2: What do you really like and what players compare to July fourth foods?
Speaker 3: Let's see how you.
Speaker 1: Doing, guys? It is to Get Loud podcast. Is anybody seek Deep? The official ticket A partner of the Washington Commanders. I'm Jakes. That's smooth. Before we get started this, give us a call. Hey, come on, call us.
Speaker 4: But yes, we have a house phone. I noticed outdated. I know people don't like to use them no more. But leave us a boy some messes and tell us what you want us to do on the show. If you want to do a signey, let us know. We might do a signal with you. Hit us up on the line and leave us a message.
Speaker 2: Month free seven O three seven two six seven four nine seven.
Speaker 1: O three seven two six seven four one not.
Speaker 4: I thought it was like seven O three Get Loud? Nah, it didn't work. We don't have a budget for that.
Speaker 1: The three numbers right there. Then you got the four tom Oh, we gotta figure that out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, most definitely.
Speaker 2: Let's start with I ain't in camp because it's gonna be here before you know it. So what is one storyline that you're following or you're interested that?
Speaker 4: Well, everybody the low hanging fruit right now, be Jade there, Yes, the number two pick, the quarterback, the Heisman Trophy winner. No, that ain't where I'm going. I'm going to the defensive backfield because I want to know it's like seven eight guys that then started in this league. But I know seven eight guys can't start on Sunday when it comes to the defensive backfield.
Speaker 3: Kawan Martin had a pick.
Speaker 4: That was out of his mind the other day where he caught it behind his back. That's crazy. So where does Kawan Martin fit? More safety, more ConA man? You will Forbes? Can you pick up and show people who you are and be a starter on this team? Saint Jukes, they go another story there, got realize we signe Jeremy Chen. It's a lot of people back there and people forget about defo Oh yeah, people get about defot dfo had a season before he got hurt. Like so the question to me is who is going to be the lead dogs? Who is going to be the starters? Who is gonna be the defensive backs that we leaned on we won the week eighteen. I think that's a big storyline that nobody's talking about because you got to realize with Wit coach Witt and DA and this team, they are very defensive back friendly defense always have been who's going to excel and who's going to start.
Speaker 3: That's what I want to know, Jackson.
Speaker 1: I'm curious to see how Jamon Davis does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because now you have Bobby Wagner obviously right there patrolling the middle, Frankie Louver. I feel like it's gonna move around all around. So now we get a guy who has potential. We've seen flashes and this is his time, right, It's just time to step up, especially with that job.
Speaker 3: I think he's gonna step up.
Speaker 4: Like listen, I have been asking them to let him rush the pass since he got here.
Speaker 3: He's a specimen. He's fast, he's.
Speaker 4: Scrong, he could do whatever you ask him to do. We accidently play in space. He picks off a ball against b John Robinson on one on one route.
Speaker 3: I want to see him going downhill with their speed.
Speaker 4: I want to see him become the game record we thought he could become. And I always tell people that you can't judge athletes when they're not being coached properly.
Speaker 3: Yep, Like, I'm just sorry. So that mean we're set up to fail, all right?
Speaker 4: I want to see what he does and highlight himself in the defense. I think I'm gonna go out on the limb. I'm gonna go out on limb right now. Go to the MGM right now, if you got to. I think if he rushes the passer for seventeen games, he going to.
Speaker 3: The Pro Bow.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, I think I think that, especially with the cover package that they have on his team, he's going to the Pro Bow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I said it.
Speaker 1: All you did said and I see that coming.
Speaker 2: So give me one vat Yeah, and one rookie that you think is surprises.
Speaker 3: One vet right.
Speaker 4: First of all, since I've seen him in the uniform, it's been one Frankie Louvu. Like I like guy's first name story to l It's just something about those guys. You could depend on those guys when it's time, when it's time to play some football, Frankie Louvu jumps off the screen. If you go to practice, he jumps off the practice field. You can see the energy, you can see the intensity. I wish I could have played with him because I used to like to bring that type of intensity and have fun doing what I'm doing.
Speaker 3: Walk my word.
Speaker 4: By game four, we'll have more Frankie Louvu jerseys in the stand. Okay, then probably the run Payne jersey and the one Pain had a.
Speaker 3: Couple of year head start on him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Frankie Louvu will be the hot jersey.
Speaker 1: He will be the hot name.
Speaker 4: Now when it comes to the rookies, I'm not gonna say jayde Dan.
Speaker 1: That slow hanging through.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, I'm gonna go being senate.
Speaker 3: Outside right, I said.
Speaker 4: I just think he's gonna creep his way slowly but shorely. Maybe start off the first two games two catches, ten yards, fifteen yards, twenty yards.
Speaker 3: For a week, god, three catches, you know, thirty five yards.
Speaker 4: I think it's the season go on, He'll just start to stack up, stack up, stack up, and you know if he has to fill in as a starter or just gaming to y'all. So being senate is the guy that I think the rookie in the vet, the vet Louvu the rookie senate.
Speaker 1: How do you feel vet wise about zach Ertz. I feel good about it because.
Speaker 2: Don't you think, especially when you have a rookie quarterback, this guy's been there, done that last year.
Speaker 1: He's Kingsbury, but we know he's been there.
Speaker 2: He's healthier than he's been and you know, as a rookie quarterback, a lot of times you look at that tight end as your security blank.
Speaker 4: No, he is your security blank. He is the easiest throw on the field. That's why I pick being sent a senate to be my rookie because I know one thing about it. That tight end position. You get beat up a lot in there. It ain't just about catching passes. It's also about blocking in there. And I know the one thing you do you rotate your tight ends. And that's why I say safest throw on the field is a tight end. That's why I do think zach Ertz could have a resurgence because he could be the highest target guy, especially.
Speaker 3: The first four weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the guy most excited about his rookie is Mikey Saintrius. Still I just love and I'm not a big scout. I mean, I look at everything else like everyone else out there. Yeah, but watching his tape and seeing how much bigger he plays than he's always around here, he's awesome.
Speaker 4: And you gotta realize he's a cornerback with a wide receiver's mindset and this and this is what he's gonna be so good. And like Nick Saiven said, pound for pound, the best player when when somebody says that, now, now I'm gonna telling somebody saving he's the greatest college coach of all time.
Speaker 1: But he's also a dB guy like that.
Speaker 3: He's a deep He.
Speaker 1: Got an I for DBS.
Speaker 4: He loves DB's for him to say that this this high praise.
Speaker 1: If a guy named Rick Saban says it, you don't care if listen to me.
Speaker 4: You better listen, all right, And then, like you said, turn the film on his them speaks for what he says.
Speaker 3: He's one of those guys that's gonna hit the NFL running.
Speaker 4: I mean, he ain't gonna need time to adgist, he ain't gonna need a period to adjustment period.
Speaker 3: He gonna hit the ground running. Great pick by you.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that because you don't have to be a football like for you know how this was some great athletes. You're just watching the game and you keep going back, who is that?
Speaker 1: Who is who? Who is that? And make the play when they need it.
Speaker 4: Any time you washed Michigan and they needed to play, Number zero was there.
Speaker 1: Always there.
Speaker 4: Number zero was right there jumping out your screen. So they mean he's Johnny on the spot when I need them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, We're gonna pay some bills and then quickly get back into more football talk and let us know what you think.
Speaker 1: Seven o three seven two six, seven four one nine called the house phone.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Recycle Track Systems transforming the way commercial businesses and communities manage waste and recycling.
Speaker 1: They combined the power of AI with the Powower.
Speaker 2: Premium customer service to optimize waste pickup schedules, ensuring timely and efficient collections to keep our neighborhoods.
Speaker 1: Cleaner and greener.
Speaker 2: Powell visit RTS dot com to learn more about how they can help your business manage waste more responsibly. So you mentioned Mikey Santrister once played receiver. We'll get one of the best receivers right here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in the National Football League and Terry McLaurin. So when you think about his game.
Speaker 2: One of four wide receivers in the NFL to have at least seventy five catches and one thousand receiving in the last four seasons. Davante Adams, Stefan Diggs, Tyreek Hill. We're gonna bring in Tanna and a mint to talk about. Yeah, but when you're getting excited about this team, he was on Scott Van Pelt not that long ago.
Speaker 3: Jordan.
Speaker 1: Everything he does is just so impressive.
Speaker 3: I met his dad. So I met Terry mclaughan' dad at a football game, and now I.
Speaker 4: Know why he's so impressive. Okay, he was just raised good like sometimes happened. But this is this is what I find so impressive about what Terry's doing. Look at the guys on this list, Davonte Adams, who is his quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: Being Rogers and Josh Allen.
Speaker 4: Like he's like, look at these guys like Tyreek Hill has had Patrick Mahomes in Touur, yep, like Stephan and Diggs, Josh Allen.
Speaker 3: Now he got C. J. Scroud. Now let's go through. I got Terry McLaurin.
Speaker 4: And see who he's had the quarterback That shows you what this guy is no matter what it is, I have no excuses. I'm gonna come out here and I'm gonna play some football. And he's always been that guy, no excuses, very much like Santawn. Like him and Santawn, career is taking a very similar art to it. But I like the way he's by and it means necessary. I don't care who's the quarterback, but I can't throw before to yours when I come back thirty five. He doesn't care what the situation is. He just shows up and play football. And I respect that from any player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just like Sam, how's not good und pressure, Well, I'll find a way I get over.
Speaker 4: And that's what it's about you, if you're a wire receire, if you're a football player, period. That's why I told you. I chose not to play wide receiver. I did not want another player to dictate my success, all right. I didn't want my success to be in the hand of a.
Speaker 3: Quarterback of Pat Ramsey, Joe, you know I.
Speaker 1: Did, Tony Banks. I didn't want that, so I chose to.
Speaker 3: Play dB and go against him, all right.
Speaker 4: So I know how hard it is to make it hard on a wide receiver, especially when it has a good quarterback. It's easy for us. When the quarterback ain't that good as a DJ back, I can shit you down. And did I really shut you down? If you if your quarterback ain't good.
Speaker 1: Right, I wasn't. Just the ball's not coming to you.
Speaker 3: Thank you, right Like?
Speaker 1: So it's a give and take there, Jake. So we'll ask Tan about this as well.
Speaker 2: But how beneficial is it for a guy like Jaydon Daniels. He comes in and not just a great receiver, but one of the leaders on this team is one of your receivers.
Speaker 1: No, that's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the first thing you want is a quarterback I needs. I gotta have one person to throw it too. Yeah, I gotta have one person that dictates the defense. Like when we leave a huddle, it's where's the all right quarterback? First?
Speaker 3: But then's where's Terry?
Speaker 4: Like, so it's got to be that one player that the defense says, you know what, once we stop him, we can kind of slow this offensive down and do that with Terry's that guy. Terry also can come back to the hudder and be like, hey man, check this out. They playing me too, man, I'm gonna take it up top. They playing cover three I'm gonna bend this inn in a little bit more. That's what he wants from Terry. That's what he needs from Terry. That I on the field where he can't see stuff, he can see it, and this to keep.
Speaker 1: Let us know what you think. I'm gonna keep hammering this home. I want to see people in the comments.
Speaker 2: I want to hear people on the hotline seven o three seven two six seven four one nine.
Speaker 1: Let's place the bills, call the hot from.
Speaker 4: First, all right, and then we'll pay them big Get Loud podcast is bought to you by Bet three sixty five, the official sport and bet partner of the Washington Commander's been on a range NFL markets with the Best three sixty five app. Craft your own personalized bet slip with parlay at six thousands of games with live screaming, place your best before the match, doing the game.
Speaker 3: It's up to you. Download the Bet three sixty.
Speaker 4: Five app today and enjoying eighty million members worldwide, Yes, I said it, eighty members.
Speaker 3: Eighty million.
Speaker 4: That's a lot of people. I wish I had eighty million dollars all right. Age twenty one plus only must be physically located in Virginia gambling problem. Call it texts one eight hundred gambler mwaa. We don't travel to escape life. We travel so life don't escape us. We're dreaming any place in the world. In the blink of eye, we're there. All you have to do is decide is where to Dulles International Airport. Let your imagination short book you adventure today at fly Dulles dot com slash none stop.
Speaker 2: We were talking about Tanner Tanna those receivers, so we got to ask him about Terry mclan and bring him in.
Speaker 1: Why not, We're gonna get ready for the upcoming season and talk receivers.
Speaker 2: So we got to bring in eye receiver Santana Moss now here a person.
Speaker 1: We got him over the phone, here, got him on video.
Speaker 2: So Tanner, let me ask you and we'll get to Scary Terry in a second. But as a group, what do you want to see from this receiver group in training camp?
Speaker 5: You know, training kept one of those things.
Speaker 6: Man, it's kind of iffy because you don't know how many of those guys gonna stick around. But what I would like to see is just I guess you can say that that top three or four guys show they face, you know what I mean, we kind of know, we can kind of speculate now who the top three should be, but you really don't know until you know. And I think what you want to see out the gate is just see those guys show they face and see the team. I guess you can say that Core grow and say Okay, this is who we're gonna be on this year, and we don't have to sit there and you know, be waiting for the last preseason game to see who's going to be the added guy.
Speaker 4: If somebody like Terry or DMMI Brown, some of these older wide receivers sit Santana mouse down and say, Santana, how can I help a young quarterback? Like how can I help Jaydon Daniels this year? What would you tell those guys?
Speaker 5: That's a great question of Fred. It's funny, man.
Speaker 6: I can just always go back to the guys that I've you know, once played with the young quarterbacks I play with, I play with a lot of them, or even from far as back as Jason Campbell. I think the first thing you want to do, and this is what I would tell him, is just you know, show them that you're available. All the time, you know, show them that every time you line up he can depend on you. And beyond that, you got to get to know that guy to the point where he understands when you're coming at him, you coming at him out of love.
Speaker 5: It's kind of bond that y'all. Y'all, y'all have.
Speaker 6: That you're not leading them wrong because you know, some of these young guys, you know, and it's not all of them. Some of them come in and they have so much thrown at him, especially at the quarterback position, they might not know how to take a hard criticism from an older guy, you know, especially a guy who's gonna be you know, expecting them to hit the you know, find them when he's open all the time.
Speaker 5: And I think that's one of the things that happens to a lot of the receivers.
Speaker 6: We come off kind of hard at these guys, and the older guys can take it because they gonna come at us also. You know, I love older quarterbacks because they gonna tell you straightforward what they need, what they want, and you got to go out there and do it, especially if you want the ball. But the young quarterback, especially when they're like that, that that guy come in with a.
Speaker 5: Lot of hype. He might not necessarily know how.
Speaker 6: To take a guy like like my self or Terry going at him hard. So you got to make sure you established that that friendship, that bond, that relationship out the gate to let him know that, look, bro, I'm not gonna tell you nothing wrong, and everything at our says my bond.
Speaker 5: My word is my bond.
Speaker 6: So if you trust that, we're gonna have a great relationship, and I think if you can kind of join that line is saying and get that established, y'all both should be well, you know, well off that year, Janny.
Speaker 2: When you talk about position groups and guys who need to play well together, you think about the offensive line, you think about the secondary.
Speaker 1: How do you do that as receivers.
Speaker 2: When all of you guys want to eat, all of you guys want your catches.
Speaker 6: Right, Yeah, it's easy. I think you got to have that kind of a team structure to know that I gotta, I gotta do my part. I go back to in twelve when RG three got there. We also brought in Pierre, We also brought in Josh Morgan. These guys are new to the team. We've already had little a Aldrick Robinson, which we call him Little a.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: We had Leonard Hankinson myself, and we kind of, you know, reconstructed that whole core, and you look at it, you say, with all these guys here, how we gonna even have a chance to do what we do. Also that year, they changed me from a predominant Z guy to the slot guy. So now I'm sitting there like, man, I don't know how I'm gonna be involved. But if Mike Shenahan said this is gonna work, then I'm gonna go with it. And if you look at that season, I believe like all four or five of us had five hundred yards or more. I let the team in touchdowns, Pierre let the team and yards. Think he had six hundred. But Pierre got hurt that year, so that's, you know, that was kind of low for him. But he still let the team and receiving yards. But that core together understood their roles. We understood our part of that team. And one of the things that Kyle Shenahan did a great job at he made sure that every time we was in the game, we made sure we didn't leave a play. You know, we didn't leave nothing on the field. We left my bad, we left everything on the field. We didn't go out that game saying that we didn't do our part. So every receiver kind of came into that whatever down they came knowing that, Hey, this is my opportunity.
Speaker 5: Make sure I make it worse my wild you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: So I think that kind of mindset has to be established out the gate and know that, hey, we all have a part here.
Speaker 5: We just have to do our part and we should be rewarded.
Speaker 4: But tall we know how teams go, We know the every flow of things. And I know you don't like to play the what if game, but I'm gonna play it. Which is anyway, if I tell you, if the end of the year, if we look back and this team has won ten games excluding Terry McLain, take Terry out of it. If we win ten games, which one of these other wide receivers balled out, because you know, it's got to be more than one. Which if you had to pick one, which one of these guys would it be?
Speaker 6: I would say at the gate, Johan, I mean honestly, I mean it would be. Look, you gotta understand this kid, if he could come into this season and give us a glimpse of what he did his rookie season. This offense is almost well off already. You know, we don't even have to say, you know what they're gonna do in the backfield, because we know those guys in the backfield gonna be chopping at the bits.
Speaker 5: And then at the quarterback position.
Speaker 6: If Johanna's getting off, you know, good dog going well, that the quarterback is playing good and Terry is eating as well. So I think if Johanna's if this team is doing that thing and we got to exclude a guy like Terry, it has to be a dominant Jahan Dawson out there killing everybody week in and week out, and they don't know what to do with him.
Speaker 5: So now all the other guys out there eating freely.
Speaker 4: So do you think Johanna would be better because we be watching practice all the time. Do you think his skill set is suited more for the outside of the insider? It just don't really.
Speaker 1: Matter, you know.
Speaker 5: I look at his skill sets and I say he can play both.
Speaker 6: Now the question would be is what he does better than the other And that's to me, I think still to be determined. When I watch him inside. I see him eating a lot inside. We saw that last year. So if I'm a receiver, I particularly want to see him more inside where he get favorable matchups and then he has more to feelter, you know, to his advantage. Now, I won't exclude what he can do outside, because I saw him out there work guys too outside, especially his rookie season. But I think when it comes to just his body type, you know, I want to know if he's a guy that wants that kind of because you see, I was a guy. If you look at me, you say, well, Tanna's a small guy. But I have a different side structure. You know, I'm a little more compact then people might give me. And so I was able to take that, you know, that pressed man and that bump and run coverage outside, and I think that raised a lot of eyebrids in the league when I first came in, because they didn't they didn't expect that. Now you get a Jahann a little probably a little taller than me, but I think a lot lighter than me, and I'm not sure if if if he favors that kind of attention on the outside. Although they don't even play like they play like we played back in the day, Fred, I mean, you know it was it was pressed bumping run. Guy's gonna hold you from exactly all the way down the field.
Speaker 5: So these guys have favorable matchups anyway. You know.
Speaker 6: Didn't want to, you know, call it, but I would say out the gate if I had to make a decision today, I would want to see him play more on the inside.
Speaker 1: So, Tanna, I want to include Terry McLain for a second. Is there is there another level for him?
Speaker 3: Win?
Speaker 1: You're as good as he is, He's level always, I think.
Speaker 6: I think so, Man, Terry's one of those guys you can never really say which one of these years was his best year. Yeah, I mean it seems like he just get better and better and better if he didn't do something way to do it. And I think right now from what I'm just seeing and from listening to some of these interviews that he's had here locally and then the one he did with the guy.
Speaker 5: ESPN.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, just just hearing them speak, man, you can tell Terry plays with that chip.
Speaker 5: Every year he has a chip.
Speaker 6: I don't think he feels that he get enough credit for what he's done.
Speaker 5: And that's a good way to look at it.
Speaker 6: That's a good tip to have because as a receiver, you know, you got to think about.
Speaker 5: It whatever way you want to come in there.
Speaker 6: If you want to be an angry guy, if you want to be a guy that said, I'm just gonna go out there and do what I do. However you do it, you're gonna get your opportunity, especially when you're the guy. And I think we all know that when we want to have success on this team, the ball has to be going to Terry McLaurin. He gets things started and he's one of those guys who can finish us as well. So I think you know, every year you can look forward to a guy like him come and come in here ready to work.
Speaker 5: He's a he's a guy.
Speaker 6: He's from He's from Indiana, Yeah, Naptown if you want to call it. And those guys just have that hard working mentality. They they bingo blue blue collar workers or lunch pill and hard hat every day.
Speaker 5: And I think that's what he's gonna bring.
Speaker 1: Well, this is what you and Terry do.
Speaker 3: Have him come and that.
Speaker 4: Like they say, to be a good husband, you cannot have ten wives. Now we know about your quarterback position. Like, Terry has only been in the league with four or five years and he's had six seven quarterbacks already.
Speaker 1: Man, how how how?
Speaker 3: How like?
Speaker 4: How does it take just the stress off of you as a wide receiver to know this is my guy moving forward for the next four or five six years?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 5: Well, one of the things you can't do as a receiver.
Speaker 6: You can't even you know, wrap your head around saying this, this is gonna be your last guy, because you never know, especially especially with our luck here in Washington.
Speaker 5: I feel like that was my luck starting in college.
Speaker 6: You know, people fail to realize, you know, and this is something that this is a fun fact you can probably probably bring up. This is probably my first time bringing up on you guys to show. But I had a different quarterback all throughout college every year four years straight. So when you think about the quarterbacks I went through in the NFL, think about the quarterbacks I went through, you know, all through my coalition years. I mean, bro, that's gotta be the most stressful thing that ever go.
Speaker 3: Through as a receiver, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: So to see Terry have the kind of success he's had thus far, he's already probably reached the quarterbacks that I had in ten years in Washington in five years. He's going to a sixth season, and I'm sure he doesne had at least ten quarterbacks already, So you know, for him to have this kind of success that he has had, that just shows you what he's doing, you know, behind closed doors and trying to make sure that he comes ready to work and prove to the team each and every year that I'm your guy.
Speaker 5: But with that being.
Speaker 6: Said, man, it's I would hope that he spoke about being uncomfortable and that's the way he plays the game like he's he's always playing with that kind of you know, mindset that he's ready for whatever happens because he don't want to be comfortable.
Speaker 5: So I think as a receiver, I.
Speaker 6: Never he and Terry said I kind of had that perspective as well.
Speaker 5: Mine was a little different.
Speaker 6: I used to always just tell myself, hey, just be ready because you never know what might happen, you know, understand. So it's similar to how Terry's already saying that, hey, man, I'm just uncomfortable. I've played uncomfortable for so long to whereas if you give me whatever you give me, I'm gonna take it and run with it.
Speaker 5: And I think that's the kind of misset to have. Dan.
Speaker 1: We always love having your person. But great to see you on video and thanks for being with us.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: We'll see you soon enough as always.
Speaker 5: Appreciate your feeling and enjoy that vacation.
Speaker 1: Always great to see Tanna.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna pay some bills real quick, and then we're gonna wrap things up with whom July fourth talk?
Speaker 3: Why not the fourth? I love the fourth?
Speaker 1: Oh, I know you do.
Speaker 2: I want to hear what you're doing the field. How we talk to you about see Geek please do oh. The official ticketing partner of your Washington Commanders, the Dealer's finalize. They are the newest member of the Commander's family.
Speaker 1: Our family out here about it? Yea, we are family.
Speaker 2: That's right, Sister Sledge back in the day. If you haven't heard the name yet, get used to it. You'll be hearing it all season long. Doesn't matter if you're buying or selling tickets to Commander's games or any of live event in the DMV. Seek Geek gets the place to do it. The official ticketing partner of the Washington Commanders. So Commander's fans can fan Independence Day?
Speaker 1: Yes, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 3: Think?
Speaker 4: I'm I'm getting the band back together. Oh yes, I'm getting the band back together. And me and my boys had a ritual when we was growing up, and after I got to the league, we did it every year where were the fourth of July?
Speaker 3: We would go to the Essence Festival.
Speaker 1: Oh okay.
Speaker 4: And when I say we did it, we did it like fifteen years consecutively. The only thing stopped us from meeting was Katrina. Okay, Like when Katrina happened, we took a couple of years off. It's the funny thing is Jinx, I met my ex wife at the Essence You really, that's how, That's how. That's how connected.
Speaker 3: I came this.
Speaker 1: Close to seeing a new edition one year and I scrapped into the last. What kind of dude are you know? I know you're not truly American?
Speaker 4: Got who you went to the Essence Festival. I'm just telling you. I'm telling you what about you? What you're doing for the fourth?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 1: Well, it's gonna be fun.
Speaker 2: I'm getting together with some friends and we're gonna see fireworks there and their caring it.
Speaker 1: But the ordering tacos?
Speaker 3: Hold on, hold on, yes they all in tacos.
Speaker 1: Yes, on independent on July fourth?
Speaker 3: Who ideal was this?
Speaker 1: They live on Capitol Hill. I'm like, why are we having burgers hot time? Where's where's the fourth of July? Who said you know what?
Speaker 3: Order Chipotle? Who said that?
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: I was going like, this sounds fun, This sounds fun tacos?
Speaker 1: So that's gonna be strange.
Speaker 4: So is it a fix your own tacos? So I can make me a taco salad.
Speaker 1: You can make your own taco. But they're catering, having like you know, the different means of tortias.
Speaker 2: It will be delicious, it's just not not traditional.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't fit for that day. I'm sorry, right, Cinco de Mayo, Yes, yes it works right.
Speaker 4: No, I'll be hot though, yes, Reels, I'll be the real thing. And who brought the potatoes? Potato salad? That's always the big pushed Okay, so.
Speaker 1: We're talking about that.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is I want to close this out right, Commanders players as Fourth of July foods.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's do it. Let's start with the ice cold beer.
Speaker 3: Now, when you say the beer. It's the beer the essence of a barbecue.
Speaker 4: But if it's the beer, the one thing, So let's say the beer is the substance of the of the of the barbecue.
Speaker 3: Who is the substance of this team?
Speaker 1: I would have.
Speaker 3: To to dudes, I'm gonna go duel, Okay.
Speaker 4: The identity of this team for a lot of year has been the d line. Okay, So I'm gonna go to run pain and John Allen out the butt wiser and butt light.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you want.
Speaker 4: To couple up, but that's what I'm saying. So I would have to say those guys have been the soul of the team for a while.
Speaker 3: Who you got? You know what?
Speaker 1: Think about when you've been instruggling for a while right now, like it's hot like last week, like last week, and you have an ice cold beer in your life. And Daniels, it's been a minute, man, Can I can I have a pitch? You know what?
Speaker 3: Just keep him coming.
Speaker 1: I needed this, so, Jane Daniels, Yeah, that.
Speaker 2: That refreshment that everyone enjoys've been waiting for this.
Speaker 1: It's route.
Speaker 4: That weed and Barley will will, We'll help you get everything going. The Hamburger is a staple. It's an American state. It's needed. You could buy it on every block, but fourth of July. When he's coming off the grill burnt unburnt. It doesn't matter who is that player on this tea. Who's the hamburger of this team?
Speaker 3: You know who? I got tyler Bish.
Speaker 4: I was going very similar to be You know why, because everything starts with the burger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like when you when.
Speaker 4: You walk in the barbecue, the first thing you you, oh, dude, they got beer? They do you know? Then you go, oh, they got hamburger.
Speaker 3: Like that's the second thing. Hamburger's right there.
Speaker 4: So I think be Hoddish because you know what, he touches the ball before the quarterback.
Speaker 3: Everything starts with the center beyoddish some love at this barbecue.
Speaker 1: We're thinking on the same wavelength. I'm going to Sam Cosmi.
Speaker 3: Oh why not? He's only the best beef?
Speaker 1: Yes matter, but broad doesn't matter. IF's to burger? Who got beef?
Speaker 2: And you can cook a burger different ways? Guard tackle medium, rare meeting. Well, I don't know, how do you like it? As long as they got that beef?
Speaker 3: There? Are you a hot dog guy? You a Broad's guy?
Speaker 1: I like a broad, but I love a good heart.
Speaker 4: I say, like the hot dog is so simple. My kids don't eat no more, you know, I guess.
Speaker 1: They losing, losing the lust.
Speaker 3: But I love to go to the Nats game.
Speaker 4: First thing I reached for as a hot dog, you have to like and it's something about a hot dog that been wrapped in altin.
Speaker 2: And for its dy that and warm so good.
Speaker 4: Just eat it all right, So the hot dog of this team, meaning not a lot the hot dogs, not a lot of flash to the hot dog. But it's dear when you need it. Don't cost a lot, but it's dear when you need it. Zach Ertz, Oh, I like that. Zach Ertz is that hot dog. He's gonna be that hot dog for Jane Daniels. You know why, because the tight end is a quarterback's best friend. When he has no where to throw it to me, he just need to.
Speaker 3: Get it out of his hand. Ertz right there with it, probably join the heart, like I love you, but that's what you want. I say, zach Ertz is the hot dog that the pictn me hot dog.
Speaker 2: I got one for you, Adam Peters, you know yeah, I tell you why tell me this guy looks good. Everybody loves him in the draft room, didn't didn't He just exude confidence like I'm hot dog. Yeah, everybody came here on independence dage and look who the star the shorts and now I'm crushing it.
Speaker 1: Look at that person over there and joining a hot dog. Look at that person joined it.
Speaker 3: Cut the mustard, you know what.
Speaker 1: Put whatever you want to on it. I'm still the hot and knew it and crushed it.
Speaker 4: Now I got to give our producer Anna flat okau. She wrote on a piece of paper, coin on the car. Now I don't personally, I don't go to a barbecue looking for coin on the car.
Speaker 3: Now it's gonna be there. Now it's just there.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now if you told me, oh no, this is Mexican screek coin, now that's a different coin on the car. But the corn on the car cannot be placed on a pedestal.
Speaker 1: So I removed her.
Speaker 3: Corner, okay, okay, And we put ribs.
Speaker 1: Oh, ribs.
Speaker 3: It ain't nothing like ribs or beef elk, buffalo elk.
Speaker 1: I don't care ribs. Ribs.
Speaker 3: Ribs are the main attraction to me, okay. And that's why it's Jade and Daniens.
Speaker 4: Okay, because when you see the big rack of ribs right there, and you'll be like, give me my baby back, baby back, baby back ribs.
Speaker 3: It's something to it, and it's so good to you.
Speaker 4: You start to like leeve soths right there and it's a messy eat.
Speaker 3: It's worth it, but it's worth it, so I have to go, Jayden days is the ribs.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about this, Bobby Wagner, you know why age. First of all, when you get a good rack of ribs, that's hall of fame. When you get a hall of fame rack of ribs. And also the back of the bone, backbone bringing in one of the greats.
Speaker 4: That's so bagone, Bobby wagon that's so good of you right there to do that right there. That is Bobby Wagner right there. That actually was perfect right there. But what happens when you walk to a barbecue and you see a dude eating ribs with a fork?
Speaker 1: Uninvited him out.
Speaker 4: Listen, I have stopped the barbecue like, hey, hey, we got a guy out here eating with a fork.
Speaker 1: I'd rather see someone eating some ribs.
Speaker 7: I don't care. Hey, get that sauce on. It's all right, but you can't eat it with a fork. Now, we got to bring in at least one dessert. Okay, one dessert. Now, some people like ice cream, all right. Uh, I'm a lemonade.
Speaker 4: I like my tea, but I also like a good fruit salad because it's hot, so I can eat this fruit.
Speaker 3: It's good. So the dessert is like the icing on the cake. The icing on the cake to me is Luke McCaffrey.
Speaker 1: Okay, he's the extra.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like on Draft Day we were like, hey we got Jay Dais and Luke McCaffrey like that, the extra And it feels like he's been here before. I feel like he played in the early eighties here and now we just got Luke again, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So the dessert, they get your cake.
Speaker 1: And eat it too.
Speaker 3: It's Luke McCaffrey.
Speaker 1: I'm going ice cream. Ice cream is versatil right, it is?
Speaker 3: What what's your what's your flavor? Flavor?
Speaker 2: I like cookies and cream Ockey road right, that chocolate hut up you know on occasion, whyn't you ever one of them?
Speaker 3: Black wall of ice cream? I hate.
Speaker 1: I hate it, but think about it having a cone, having a cup, maybe a Sunday maybe milkshake. You can do it all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Austin Eckler, Ooh, I like that. You want to handoff? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I can catch passed out of the back.
Speaker 3: You can block, I can block. You need touchdown?
Speaker 1: Yeah, whatever you need, I got it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You just tell me what you need and I'll make it that way.
Speaker 4: Ice cream, Yes, you scream ice cream?
Speaker 2: Call us seven three seven, two six seven four one nine. Put your thoughts into comments. Have a great fourth, did July? I know you're gonna have a great I am. I am getting the band back together. The views and opinions expressed by our podcast guests and or hosts are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views or positions of the Washington Commanders or any of their representatives.