Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the forty nine Ers First and ten podcasts, presented by Cisco. Ten minutes of the most up to date forty nine Ers news. First Thing in the Morning, I'm your host Brion McDonald and joining me is forty nine Ers team reporter Lindsay Polares. The forty nine Ers fell to the Rams twenty seven to twenty four on Sunday. It was a tough loss for the team. It came down to a very close game and a field goal deciding the winner. Lindsay, what went wrong for the Niners in Week three?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Brace, So the Niners were very much in the driver's seat for most of this game, and I think really the difference between winning and losing than this one were some special teams errors and then some costly penalties. You know, we always talk about out the turnover battle being significant. Rams didn't turn over the ball at all, while the forty nine Ers had one turnover. You know, just a lot of I think execution errors more than anything down the stretch. Like I mentioned, forty nine Ers racked up over one hundred yards and penalties, and then quite a few of those came in the final minutes of this game.
Speaker 3: That allowed the Rams to jump back in it.
Speaker 2: And so it was a little bit of everything that didn't work out in the end. But I think the positives we can take from this game is that the forty nine ers were missing some of their biggest offensive playmakers and then we're still able to run a productive and efficient offense. And like you mentioned, this one quite literally came down to those final seconds. So I think for this one, it's just about cleaning things up, tightening things up headed into Week four, making sure that they're not giving up explosive plays. And we heard this from a lot of the players during the press conference. There wasn't a lack of effort. There wasn't a lack of enthusiasm, you know, lack of motivation. It really wasn't anything about that. It is just looking at the execution, cleaning that up, and then getting ready for Week four, because the forty nine ers will be back at home and welcome in the Patriots in Week four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Niners had several key players sidelined for this matchup, But lindsay, how did you see the team adjust in week three?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think it's very much a next man up mentality always when you're missing some key players, and I think for the forty nine ers, who are who were without George Kittle, without Christian maccaffery, who's on IR without Deebo Samuel whose sideline for a couple of weeks with the Calfs train, you saw people rise the ranks, and you know, I think Juwan Jennings is certainly someone that is very much appreciated by the forty nine ers, faithful by the team. You know, he's earned that nickname third and Juwan for a reason.
Speaker 3: But he put up a career.
Speaker 2: Game against the Rams, and that's something that I think should not get lost in this loss.
Speaker 3: Eleven catches for one hundred and seventy.
Speaker 2: Five yards, three touchdowns, a career first for him both in yards and scoring. So a huge congratulations to Juwan Jennings. Caught nearly every pass thrown his way and was absolutely I would say the offensive MVP along with Rock Purty yesterday, and we just saw that he very much rose to the occasion in his first start of the year. I think one of the cool tweets that I saw out on X yesterday was that Juwan Jennings had two regular season touchdowns in all of twenty twenty three, so he surpassed that in one game three touchdowns yesterday, and you know, it was just it was contested catches, it was touchdown receptions, it was you know, big conversions.
Speaker 3: He had a little bit of everything.
Speaker 2: Obviously great passes thrown by brock Party, but just someone I definitely wanted to highlight coming out of this Week three matchup.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, even with a tough loss, there was some really standout performances from the forty nine ers. Brock Party had an impressive three touchdown game again despite missing key offensive weapons. Lindsay, what did you learn from the quarterback after his Week three performance?
Speaker 2: You know, I think this is a great example of brock Party is an incredibly talented elite quarterback. We will say it again, missing three of the biggest offensive playmakers for the forty nine ers, you know, in recent history, and he posted his second one hundred plus passer rating game of the season, led a really efficient, productive offense. You know, I think there were certainly opportunities there that he created. The forty nine Ers were able to score on five of their nine offensive series.
Speaker 3: So a lot of good.
Speaker 2: Things from brock Party, and obviously that connection with Juwan Jennings absolutely on fire yesterday. Juwan Jennings, I think he had twelve targets, caught eleven of those passes, so certainly the hot hand was Juwan Jennings. And then you know, Brock Purty also leaned on Jordan Mason to take care of the ground game he also delivered. So yeah, huge, huge congratulations to Brock Purty as well. I think this was a really good showing from the quarterback. And you know, and still you hear him in his post game press conference just say, you know, I want to be better, I can be better. Just such a humble person that's always looking to improve his game. But definitely one of the highlights of the forty nine ers offense yesterday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we can see Juwan Jennings praises after this game, his standout game with eleven catches and three touchdowns in each and every way, Lindsay, tell me about how he's worked up to this career high performance.
Speaker 2: I think Juwan Jennings has always had this. The opportunity definitely was there yesterday with you know, so many guys out. This was his first start of the twenty twenty four season. He took that opportunity, he ran with it, and he over delivered. This is exactly what the forty nine Ers needed from him in Week four. So yeah, I mean, and then Juwan Jennings always is a huge impact when it comes to blocking. He's one of the best blocking wide receivers this team has, and we hear about that a lot because he's physical and that's exactly the brand of forty nine Ers football that you know they pride themselves on.
Speaker 3: So he can do a little bit of everything.
Speaker 2: He was the hot hand yesterday and you can just see that he's been building on that chemistry, that connection with Rock pretty over the past three seasons. You saw the fruits of that labor yesterday against the Rams.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One other highlight from the defensive side of the ball was All Pro safety Tellano Whufunga's return. He had his first game back from his ACL tear recovery. How has his return brought a new energy to the Niners defense?
Speaker 2: You know, I think this is a long awaited return, not just for the defensive side of the ball, but the team as a whole. He brings an energy that the forty nine ers very much welcome.
Speaker 3: He's a hype man on the defense.
Speaker 2: He's I think is just a great locker room guy and obviously going through a significant ACL injury and ended his season in twenty twenty three. See him, to see him working back and finally complete the comeback is always a great way to uplift your team, and he brought a lot of energy yesterday seven tackles against the Rams, and I think the coolest showing really was his very first defensive snap. He goes and gets the tackle. It's as if no time has passed. Obviously, you know you have to work your way back up, as with any injury, but I think a good first outing for Talano Hufunga was playing alongside gay Year Brown yesterday, but definitely more good things to come.
Speaker 3: This is just obviously the first game back for him.
Speaker 1: And finally, Lindsay, you gave us a glimpse into sort of what the tone was like from the team after the game. But what was the message that the team shared following that Week three game against the Rams.
Speaker 2: I think one of the great things about this team is that they're very introspective and always hold themselves accountable, and I think that was the theme of all the players that we heard from and like I just mentioned that, it wasn't about you know, not having a good practice week or not having the motivation or running out of steam. It really was just about cleaning up the execution. The talent is there. They know what they have to do, so no one has like lost hope by any means, and they know what they need to do to get right, and now it's just about doing it and moving forward. And we've seen this team handle a bunch of adversity in the offseason. We've seen it happen in recent seasons. They always find a way to bounce back. So I would definitely feel optimistic still about this team moving forward. No one in that locker room is freaking out, you know. So now it's on to the next Yeah, we're looking ahead to Week four at home against the Patriots now, But that will do it for today's episode. Subscribe to First and ten presented by Cisco for more forty nine Ers updates and turn on the notifications for any breaking news Move the Chains episodes. Thanks for tuning in.