Speaker 1: What up, y'all? This is your main man Memphis Bleak right here.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Rock Solid, her production of iHeart Radio and the Black Effect Network in partnership with my guys over at Drink Champs.
Speaker 1: You should nobody know. You should nobody know. You already know what it is.
Speaker 3: Yours truly am Greasy back with another exclusive Rock Solid podcast, and this one right here special because this is I'm on my actor shit today.
Speaker 2: Nigga actor dang. That's the on screen and off but mainly on. Now we all some shit. I got the number one heavy hitter.
Speaker 3: You watch any hood movie, he ain't it doing some hoodshit.
Speaker 1: He made the.
Speaker 2: Hood look good because back in the day they'll have a nigga with a bowl cut.
Speaker 1: Fucking I look up. You know what I'm saying. At least you one of us.
Speaker 3: That's welcome my guy Hot Sar Johnson to the building better known It's Rebay yea god man, g man, Come on man, before we jump into all that ship. I want niggas to know we really really rock like that, like you from one of my face like Marcia is my number one favorite project.
Speaker 1: Number two is Brownsville Houses.
Speaker 3: Number three is the plaza and then know my top five is staple to that ship. So you know what I mean, y'all. You know what I'm saying, and niggas don't know.
Speaker 2: Right before we get into the background and everything, I'm man through a party one time.
Speaker 1: If you from New York, That's what I was.
Speaker 3: If you from New York, you know the Bodegger life. You know, in the morning, Poppy and them go down and open the little cellar next door, walk down the stairs they store all the you know, the sodas, and.
Speaker 2: Then you know, you never ever see down there because that's the storage for the store. You just see Poppy and them moving ship up and down the morning, Like what up, Poppy?
Speaker 3: I saw it, like bleak, I got this club. I want to book you. I like my nigga book me.
Speaker 1: I come on pulling up.
Speaker 3: Let's worry about nothing. I'm like, we're the club. I'm here, and they gonna open the cellar door straight like that, come down through here we're coming from. You were gonna get busy, yo. I got that footage to somewhere. Y'all got that footage.
Speaker 1: We need that here.
Speaker 3: We walked out this motherfucker and it's Nagnia. It's like, yo, like, how y'all built a club down here?
Speaker 1: The bar, he had the joints. This ship was so shaken, like big screen TVs out of the out of every hood party.
Speaker 2: I gotta honestly say that might the top one hood party because it was the most unexpected.
Speaker 3: See the footage unexpected right right there, say Paul and Victory.
Speaker 1: So the ferry right there. Yeah, you can damn walk from the ferry. Yeah, and we had it shaking, yo, bro, y'all still got that spot. Nah. Now we was grand opening Grand Clothes, yo, so so so hold on bleak when you came, so you figured we opened.
Speaker 3: That was right before Sandy, So twenty thirteen of February, because we were grand.
Speaker 1: Open with Ed Lover, he host, he's the most of the little Comedy Night. But I was in Atlanta shooting.
Speaker 3: I couldn't even meet here on the grand opening my ship, but my partners held it down. And then y'all came around the summer because then Sandy happened. That was like October November, and then right after New Year's we shut it down.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: That's crazy. Fourteen run now that was it was a cool run spot we had classic y. We had it for Saint Paul's lamb.
Speaker 2: Let's take him back though, man tell him about Stapleton projects growing up and so life like that.
Speaker 3: Then so so so the town, right, I'm from park Hill.
Speaker 1: Oh but but no, look this is the ill part. I'm one. I'm probably the only park Hill nigga went to school and.
Speaker 3: Elementary school. So I went to school with Shah, his cousin came my nigga, a little elite.
Speaker 1: Kim to grow.
Speaker 3: I had a few right here there you over there, So I was the one year. I was the one park Killed nigga going to elementary school, right, because they're nins like that, we adopted big Yeah, so the time I repped then to the foot.
Speaker 1: That's my ship right there at sixty seven to twelve, you know, stream ships out Like I know, Jo, that's what I thought you were. But that's crazy. I go back, like Carse, that's time man years.
Speaker 3: Park connect all day definitely all day. Like what was it like back then? Man? For you before the acting? Before like what draw you into the acting? Was it what you what you was living? So being so I guess it was being from Staten Allen. Right, So he was the fifth bar Forgotten Burrough. We was always hearing about niggas in mass uptown Hall. Then we had our niggas, right, you know what I'm saying that that was getting busy getting to it. So unless you unless you left the borough, you ain't seeing no nothing except right.
Speaker 1: So so we were. I was getting that because my people from Corney Allen.
Speaker 3: Oh so I'm right over the bridge, Corny right here old the wire Corny Allen House is crazy, y'all close to the Corney Island then we are. That's a feeling were both in Brooklyn. That's crazy.
Speaker 1: I could get the Cornyllen cooker than you could from the start. Well, that's crazy. We got the bridge and a little toll ship, right, so.
Speaker 3: Shit, if it wasn't for the bridge, you get there in five minutes, if it was like a straight shot over the water for real. So so it was just crazy because we always was trying to like prove ourselves to a degree to the rest of the city, or at least not be as corny as people thought.
Speaker 1: Being from stann Allen was. There was just a little stigma like that was going on out there. Ain't nothing going on out there. The suburbs.
Speaker 3: It was we thought it would see us. Yeah, it was marbling. All the mob lived this staff.
Speaker 1: Yeah we know all the mob families is the stat island.
Speaker 3: A lot of ship, got a lot of people right up, and it told hell, you're gonna take a gain to throw and see where it is. World up they had the ship and smash and then of course the wool drop. So we so in that nineties, I knew we was gonna pop, right, I always wanted to.
Speaker 1: Be on TV.
Speaker 3: I didn't know what I was gonna do, right, But then you got Meth right cha Kwan that's his name, and that was his attribute on.
Speaker 1: The block before the wool ship.
Speaker 3: So my highlight on the weekend Friday night, but Francis, my mom used to let me stay out late. My highlight was I be on this on the block Targe Street right by him and you got trap. You we got bread together, right, so they be at the Chinese restaurant. You gonna get the beat boxing, Meth get to start rapping. So when I just heard meth Rash start rapping, I was like, oh, this nigga special, Like I knew he was gonna be I knew he was gonna pop.
Speaker 1: I ain't know nothing else, you know what I'm saying. It was definitely special.
Speaker 2: That first album to cal album Nigga was gonna pop. I studied that ship back and forth. Bro that Nigga was the illest thing. Got thought Nigga coming out to slice.
Speaker 1: Bread that like for real.
Speaker 3: I got the demo taking my cousin each regard the rest of the dad. That was Rizzo right here and him and him and Divine right here, and so I had them little demo change. They called themself the Flowers right and then it was the Red Posse d M D Possel. So they went through a couple of little phases to get the where they was at. Then once you got Dirty Master Killer just right throw that BK and then with the out of here.
Speaker 2: Went crazy and that I always admired the wood that y'all linked up all the hoods for sure, stat like you.
Speaker 1: Said, through some Brooklyn in there. Only we could have.
Speaker 2: Did that in Brooklyn, man, you know we had r v TP all see fur grug. Yeah, ain't niggas ain't never just kind of come together like yeah like that.
Speaker 1: That's dope that y'all was able to do that. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Fucking growing up in stanton ally, like talk about the ferry and all that ship.
Speaker 1: That ship was twenty five cent when I was shorty.
Speaker 3: Yeah all right, so you remember when it was the real rook. Then it went up the fifty. Then after the fire, the first one, they made it free because then they had one on our side.
Speaker 1: So it's free now, yeah, the very free. These kids they.
Speaker 3: I still jump on the boat. Yeah yeah, jump on the quick like if I got to go like anywhere. That was first o ship views Like I'm up sitting inside outside my old ship.
Speaker 1: Look at the stands. You're like, oh, chilling, right views that hookey on the motherfucker twenty five cent words. It was a core. That ship was a cool one way because it was free. It was going to come back, it was right.
Speaker 3: And then it went up to the fifty and they had the little token like you could use a little token, and then then it was free after that. So it's been free. I feel like very been free since.
Speaker 1: Before nine to eleven. Damn, that's crazy. Yeah, I'm free. Last time I rode to.
Speaker 3: Train the bus, they still was giving up colorful the transfers.
Speaker 1: Then the token in the store. Don't even about that metro call life yea passes that ship. You had the different color for the month.
Speaker 3: Oh my, so that's how you knew, Like you try to flash the old joint on the like, know the month is this coloring now that nigga pull out the sheet. It's the same way if you think you're going to these shows with the credentials last night, was this color today? The same because a nigga trying to pull out the last February and in this February shues you think because last year I got I'm more good.
Speaker 1: With the ding. So this politicket back and forth.
Speaker 3: She for us to highlight the standing all and growing up was going downtown Brooklyn shopping.
Speaker 1: The niggas wasn't even getting to Harlem to fifth that was another world. That was your bag had to be up to. I was just drawing to somebody about that going to Harlem. That's the only Burrough. You had to be fly to get fly. Yeah, like the starting kids, you had to already be fly. Yeah, so your bag had to be a little bit. That's a fact. Thinking about that. You're right, you had to already be Yeah, you can go pull up on Fort Street. Niggas who look just like you.
Speaker 3: They fucked up figure it out niggas Like yeah, in front of the store.
Speaker 1: Selling some ship I don't want to do Yoch Street, go get you a little tape some vil. That was a right yo highlight.
Speaker 3: That was the best time ever. I remember mister fullty right there right around from I kidding me.
Speaker 1: That was our first time feeling like we was eating design of.
Speaker 3: School like like on my like real really ship that really that was off the port type ship.
Speaker 1: Yo.
Speaker 2: So back then, like I always want to know, like because I wanted to act, but then when I got in front of the camera realized, hold on, they're looking at me.
Speaker 1: That's the part, right, That's what I knew I can't do this ship. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So so was it a person film or like, what would you say? A moment that let you know that, I mean, I could do this ship.
Speaker 1: So there's two things, probably I say for me, Eddie Murphy my favorite right, that's right top. It was probably trading places m one of my favorite movement that it was wolent.
Speaker 3: What he did when you're sing the park on this ship on the skateboard with the fake leg nigga got up.
Speaker 1: That did it?
Speaker 3: Now? I was like, Oh, this nigga right here, in this nigga in Nebraska, what the fuck is going on?
Speaker 1: I got I won't be like this nigga.
Speaker 3: But then I didn't think I had that comedic time. It's always funny now later in my career. Now I'm doing no more comedy like this ship, like the last oh G. The Netflix is Survival of the Thickets.
Speaker 1: I'm sliding and the kind of like Top five.
Speaker 3: I did Top five with Chris and them right, Chris shout out, So so it's funny now. But I didn't have a segue so between saying to myself, damn, I want to be on my my Eddie Murphy flags and the opportunity ain't come untick, I'm in high school rock and its shorty. Arianna. Her name was Arianna.
Speaker 1: Because she was going out with my nigga Tree and we played football, me and Tristan on the football team.
Speaker 3: She came because look, school was a cake walk for me, right straight a student. All that fly shit, I'm playing football, so all that extracurriculus shit bleak.
Speaker 1: I wasn't with it. The glee club, the math club, the African culture, club.
Speaker 3: They was always trying to recruit me, and I was on some nah noa, I got practice that right, trying to fuck with my little honeyes.
Speaker 1: That was too much to keep up with.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I'm passing. I do need to be doing all that extra shit, that's right. So I remember telling niggas I want to be on TV though, so she did me.
Speaker 1: She I don't know where she got the thing for Spike League for Clockers to fly to bring that up. She came in dead me to go to the open call. So now I'm sixteen. I remember the Flyers saying he's looking for eighteen to twenty five year olds to play a Spike Lee new film Clockers for the lead role strike. I'm like, damn, I ain't old enough. I was really letting this ship. So I'm already like.
Speaker 3: Thinking, that's why my Wikipedia fucked up. Now my birthday on my Wikipedia. I can't change the ship because that's the ship. I came out the gate saying how old I was to getting the movie yo.
Speaker 1: Crazy ship up. But anyway, but you know you can fix that. But every time I do the remix, it go back.
Speaker 2: Because somebody somebody in there changing it somebody, y'all come on, man, come on, because the regular person could go on there and change whatever.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: A lot of that information is that cat because my little Longlands thusting or something on it that bulls.
Speaker 3: I don't know thusting, but said all the bills to hell while you add up the nigga.
Speaker 1: Who oh, that's how y'all would to keep it right.
Speaker 3: So that's how it started, went to that open call. The rest was history.
Speaker 1: Yo.
Speaker 3: Man, You're gonna answer a lot of questions for me with these movies. Man, Clockers was my ship? My nigga end up being like that's one of them that hit after the fact for me, like all because then I peeked how it was supposed to be mar Scor Sase movie.
Speaker 1: It was on his slate.
Speaker 3: He couldn't do it. Spike selling me get that, and that's so that's what that's what scored Sase film. Even if you look at the style of the lighting, I'm looking at that over that that over the top dome light that ship he was doing in centim interrogation scenes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they shot that in stan all right, No, No, that was all in Gwanas and Brooklyn downtown. Y your we other way, watch another one? What another four? Another one? Non four?
Speaker 3: Look, they had a wet out one night. What's the block over from what's the back block from Balton? Because Balton goes straight through that.
Speaker 1: You in the Union on the next one, who got flat Bush got Union?
Speaker 3: Like when they go through the ps. That's where our campus used to be at the trailers. So they would just have them out there their team because they.
Speaker 1: Were not streets back there. That it's that back street of the keys. Yeah. I forgot Douglas one of them ships.
Speaker 3: So that's where our trailers was at. I remember we came back on set from one weekend. She was wet up, had holes through the clothes and all that. It was the wardrobe trailer. They had a wet out on that end because that's the quiet side of the peas.
Speaker 1: So they was over there bucking out. They hit up by joints one time, hit up the trailer, were at work, thank got and none of that.
Speaker 3: That's just to get your perspective of how it was in nine four and the question I needed to ask you about because you went.
Speaker 1: From Clockers and then hit come another Hood.
Speaker 2: Classic two D. That's my yo, Listen, my man, listen, that's my yo. Listen, Mac fight was my guy. Like, but that nigga was laughing to this nigga like you ain't even hit that, like, give.
Speaker 3: Me the ozy, give me the yeah, oh that was calling.
Speaker 1: So listen, how was them type of scenes acting? I know it took you a minute to get through that one that because niggas was laughing. That's what I'm talking about right there. Yeah, we had socking like yeah, wait this sig here, the fuck is going on? Get the call man, get there about to get bag fucking with you. And then they really had me boning in the Cherokee too. That was that was in eight ninety eight. Yeah, and we.
Speaker 3: Did so we shot into deep in Canada, Ohio and l A damn that damn that's crazy budget let's start with.
Speaker 1: But yeah, most of that ship is Toronto. That's crazy.
Speaker 3: That ship is Toronto. Now that scene we was in Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: It was we supposed to be acting.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, so that where we was weaving up on the buck and all that, that was in Cincinnati, yo.
Speaker 1: But how was it like as super gangstuff? But I diggall y'all and was acting like that the whole time. The whole time, and it was like what like you just like what up? Like like yeah, my nigga was just going to the team. You know what I'm saying. I was loving it. Though I was loving it. Keep that full ship that I got the battery worse. So you know, he just poured. He just poured it on. He did. He would have got an oscar for that, y'all all?
Speaker 2: Did ya think in that movie? That's a fucking classic class you're rolling in that movie. Niggana put the nigga on the table. Nigga say, Yo, son Bruce, Nigga said, Yo.
Speaker 1: Want me doing all that? I was just me and shouting and like what the fuck? Like Yo, I had did some wild ship to man because don't l poored it? Bed that was.
Speaker 3: Shot idea yo Chi was on some book because we in that basement to the community center we was filming. So there's a beer on this shelf, like niggas that was working in there and left for bed. It was an open bed. Oh so he just show so shot was like, Yo, Nigga, might as well violate him if you're gonna violate him violent.
Speaker 1: That's how I remember it. I know I ain't making this up the nigga shot and you know Ed was on bullshit, Jimmy.
Speaker 3: They snatched this ship from shot Like yeah, nigga, now you talk, it poured this ship.
Speaker 1: On him, like really just improved that whole ship, Yo, that's crazy. That's one of the illest memorial scenes in the Jong leg.
Speaker 2: Then you go from that, my g to the ultimate oultimate classic. I know you probably sometimes Nigga see you in the street, yo, wee bang.
Speaker 1: You know that.
Speaker 3: I know you be like, man that that person was twenty years ago, bro, like.
Speaker 1: I used to get tight. I had to embrace it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, I know, I know the feeling brod be like that with certain records, like why can't we make another record like that?
Speaker 1: Like Sam, that's the record for that and.
Speaker 3: Go back and just listen to it like we're talking about exactly.
Speaker 2: So what was that like for y'all to Wire? Did you think it would be a cold phenomenon like it?
Speaker 1: Because I'm gonna tell you why. I ain't think it was gonna be no cult phenomenon because the Wire was right after nine eleven.
Speaker 3: So what I'm trying to tell you is if nine eleven was note eleven was one right, we auditioning most of us as I was seeing niggas at the audition.
Speaker 1: So we auditioning that summer.
Speaker 3: Let's say August, and in the August September, right then Note eleven happened. So the wire almost ain't even get done because after that, remember how the city was shut down for like two three weeks, the ferry, the ton.
Speaker 1: Of Ton Ridges the only way you can come to this city with through g W.
Speaker 3: Yeah, after like a week. And that was after a week, right then everything else was still shut so like the world wasn't moving for us. I wouldn't think about no wire. I wouldn't think about that ship. I wouldn't think about that ship. Then I get so call for a callback. So now I remember going to the callback. Mind you, I auditioned for D'Angelo the Nephew. I never auditioned for we Bay. I never had an audition for Weba, Like never was we'd like, all right, come in for this. I remember being in the audition and Clark Johnson.
Speaker 1: Was the director.
Speaker 3: He from Homicide Life on the Street, right, David Simon and had created that shit. There was a whole prelude to the wire. You had homicide then you had the corner right. The corner was wild graphic right. Then they spun out with the wire, spun off with the wire.
Speaker 1: I forgot about the corner out that that's one of them, one so born. So I remember one of them.
Speaker 3: It was either Clark or David leaning over in the middle of the audition to the other.
Speaker 1: One like that's wee man, that's just like that.
Speaker 3: I'm in the middle of my ship rocking, yo, And I heard the nigger say that through my whole ship off.
Speaker 1: I got mad for a minute. Then I was like, chill out, do your ship right. I don't think.
Speaker 3: I got back across the water and I was getting the head on my pager for my agent.
Speaker 1: Think. I don't even I don't even know if I had a phone. If I did, it was a brick. But I remember my age.
Speaker 3: The brick needed a bag for that, in the bodega bag with the potato chips in the quarter of water.
Speaker 1: So so I remember getting the hit right bleek.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, oh, that's either it went down or it did. But you ain't gonna get a call faster for unless you got.
Speaker 1: It right right.
Speaker 3: You know, they gonna make you wait. So so I waited to get to the Bread. I was like, oh, then they hit me. It was like, yeah, you got the Wei Bas ship. Do you still want to That's like with Clockers the right going for the strike ship.
Speaker 1: Spike had us coming back. I auditioned for clock Is like eight times, damn.
Speaker 3: And then last audition was on a Saturday and Trobeca on the day of the Black X Bowl. Because I was tight, I wanted to go to the Jacob Javis. I was like, you want to supposed to go there?
Speaker 1: Bag man, shorty, I'm sitting in here this audition. Damn, Yo, that's crazy.
Speaker 3: So so so that's the same ship like with that, and you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: That shit was just it was it was over.
Speaker 2: Like The Wire, I think it's produced so many like you know how it's like looking at a rap crew, you'd be like, like, so many different elements and so many different stars came from the group, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: That's how I feel about The Wire. So many different stars and so many different elements. Thirty it's thirty main characters, like word up, thirty forty main characters, and you're keeping up with every last single one of them.
Speaker 2: And each character became a cult following the phenomenons, and it's rights.
Speaker 1: Like I'm saying that, you know what I'm saying, that shit.
Speaker 3: Is insane, Like do you feel like them roles that you played like that? Because did you feel like they tried to box you in with those type of roles by always sending them to you? After that, there ain't a boxing because I was able to play roles that whether my audience, our audience right or like they say the clock is or the street urban level audience. I played roles in films and television that might have went over niggas hed because that just whatn't air cup of tea right? And so just for this ship that gets notarized, right, that happened to be the street ghetto, ain't really nobody fall. So I don't play it to the type cash box you in shit because I played a doctor.
Speaker 1: I played a fan, a.
Speaker 3: Cop, but a far the right, an actual, a real person, something with three dimensions. I'm gotten that opportunity. So I don't think it's like a box. Because I remember complaining on my agent one time and the nigga he get tired of it. He like, look what you want you did the roll good? They love you for the ship, that's they bitess that what you want to do about that?
Speaker 1: Right? You just did it?
Speaker 3: Be glad they talking about you or requesting you for that as opposed to nothing.
Speaker 1: And like my baby mom say anything beat a blank that's right right, one percent of the sun is better than straight up. I don't really believe in that ship. You know what I'm saying. It's gonna be was.
Speaker 3: For you anyway, Like niggas always want to say, why you wasn't in what you call it? Like niggas be getting beat down with it all the time. Why you wasn't because I wasn't supposed to be.
Speaker 1: That's right, that wasn't you know? Then you did?
Speaker 3: You showed your other range and doing shit. When you drop flat bush misdemeanor, right there go, then we go with the many sh because now here go Drew, right, Uncle Drew just a regular nigga, like even when he got bad for clapping the a CS worker the lawyer doue like, see, look we're gonna say this because you ain't got no prize and you thinking like this nigga been wilding and all that time he never did no.
Speaker 1: Big but a lot of niggas, but they're staying on business. That's right, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: You know, some of the illness niggas never yo, you saying you look at niggas like all that ship you did, you never went through, you through.
Speaker 1: But it's like.
Speaker 2: That, It's like that, that's a fact, man. So what was that like for you man? Stepping into that?
Speaker 1: Bro That was.
Speaker 3: Funny because I remember having an audition for that and reading the script and going, I ain't no auditioning for this ship. I got this ship in the smash Like this, How this is easy? I told my I said, set up a zoom call with the creators. Kevin did shout out and the EPs and them and he.
Speaker 1: Was like, yo, you know what, that's a good idea? Was like, Yo, that's a good idea.
Speaker 3: Like you you made it far enough to be able to request that. And I had the zoom call and explain to them I understand the criteria, Like just let y'all get to know me instead of coming.
Speaker 1: In here and acting like somebody.
Speaker 3: If y'all just get to know me, understand that, understand the assignment.
Speaker 1: And that ship worked. That ship work, and that we was off.
Speaker 3: But I think because they let niggas go like I would, they were just letting me go. I don't know if show Time was able to keep up with the speed of it, right.
Speaker 1: But then at the same time, you always hear the political answer while.
Speaker 3: We got kids who have two seasons because they were trying to get their subscriptions up with a streaming platform.
Speaker 1: So you know, that's.
Speaker 3: Always you know what I'm saying that flicks they know how got these motherfuckers crashure Netflix?
Speaker 1: Like yeah, they came through like shug.
Speaker 2: They took everybody, everybody, everybody signed here they did, and.
Speaker 1: You tied of your that work taking this and in your video. Come on down to that Flix, man. That's how they pulled up on the industry.
Speaker 3: You're thinking already they got the cable hops, Shin and Mask Show, tim HBO, but.
Speaker 1: Then you got Netflix, so they could you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So we always be the casualtes man, man, and then the shit end up being a more iconic than it was when it was on TV. One thing I can always say, like me as a fan, this is not even no question. This is my opinion, bro, Like I commend you in.
Speaker 2: I respect that you never got lost in the role because I feel like you know, us as fans watching movies, sometimes a person can play a role and then they go so far that we can believe it and he a person to be like, man, don't fuck with that nigga.
Speaker 3: That nigga was all bullshit this, and then you gotta think your hope he.
Speaker 1: Was just acting right because I catch yourself.
Speaker 2: I felt like that about the homie bol King would bind okay, like seeing him in Dead President's wilding Out and then I met him mat fuckings despite the waffle spot in l a Roster.
Speaker 1: Yes, yo, bro, I.
Speaker 2: Almost was like, I really don't funk with But then I had to think to myself, like he is acting so but a lot of people they get lost in the roads, because then he did Jason's livert and I'm like, now I knew that nigga was a bullshit then.
Speaker 1: Go did go Nah.
Speaker 4: But that's what it is, because it's the lovelihood of all right, Like I guess it is a conflicting interest because you're getting to play these images and in these in these other lives that that may.
Speaker 3: Be synonymous or have commonalities with your traits, and some of them ships be so far left you start tapping into a dark side. Now that's where the heath ledgers.
Speaker 1: And whoever, Yes, yes, yes, they get stuck.
Speaker 3: In that, right, that was almost the worst shit for him, the best in the worst shit all in one is crazy.
Speaker 2: Crazy, Yeah, at least to my next question, it's ever been like a situational role or a movie or anything that you felt like was the most complex or something that was the hardest decision or something to achieve in this business for you?
Speaker 1: Yet?
Speaker 3: Nah, because I think I'll be ready for the challenge. I think it's always where it's like niggas be thinking I can't you know what I mean. So anything that come on now, you got nerves, you be nervous like me. I do get nervous like that. One day.
Speaker 1: It's that first day before filming.
Speaker 3: Like now you're about to meet everybody the production, right the grip. So that's why when you start running into people that you've worked with before, especially on the production, and you feel way more comfortable, like I he and she about.
Speaker 1: To have me.
Speaker 3: I'm about I'm safe. That's right, you know what I'm saying. So the first day be the most nerve racket. It's just the heighest breaking ship word with the lines and all that.
Speaker 1: Nigga, I might be just a yo. But after that first date, yeah, I'm out of here.
Speaker 3: And they say you get nervous, Like it's nervous because I still get nervous doing show.
Speaker 1: We've been doing this ship twenty.
Speaker 3: People like niggas be looking like Yo, bro, you've been performing for you still get yes, but first you bars you you good to go. And I feel like if you don't get nervous, man, and you don't love it, that's the thing.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Don't you don't scare you you don't love it? Man, you really don't have the real passion, don't you know what I'm saying. So because you want to do you want to do good, you want to do better.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: You all get out there and get the Sandman on you.
Speaker 1: That's a fact, yo.
Speaker 2: Like you definitely played a lot into hip hop, Like you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Hip hop?
Speaker 2: I feel like played a lot in your like defining your projects. You put it out of the culture into it, Like what has hip hop felt mean to you?
Speaker 3: How?
Speaker 1: How has it influenced the path you go down.
Speaker 3: I mean not to be so cliche with the ship, which it is, but the ship saved my life, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I think I think it was probably what I was ut fo.
Speaker 3: That's right, some ship like that on Mister Magical wanting them read alert. One day I heard the way it was breaking, shout out, like I heard that ship went.
Speaker 1: Crazy, Like what's this? Like? Hold on now? Like you know that my pops was.
Speaker 3: Coming in the crib with the record, right, he coming with remember he literally, yeah, he coming in with came in with that Jimmy Spice, a dollar bill Yard, a rapping duke, the hall, the hall.
Speaker 1: So my pops was putting me on a lot of ship too, So I was like right.
Speaker 3: And then as far as like with the with the with the like with the film ship. Some of my first jobs after Clockers was music videos. So I'm like that the music that alone literally saved me. Like that supplemented my income when she was sticky here on a couple of wound.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Music video that's a flat like every time yo, shout out Kyler Upshaw. She used to do all the casting for videos out here. Mega put me in the Faith video for the first time off the High School House because that was macay first movie after Clocking Yes, and then I did the video off the soundtrack. So certain little ship like that. Just let a nigga know, like, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: You had a way and you definitely did. Bro.
Speaker 2: You a legend in this motherfucker the They never tell you, I'm gonna tell you my name.
Speaker 1: Leg It's never been the movie.
Speaker 3: I see your name pop up and I watch it was disappointed. That's what looking like. Damn my dog.
Speaker 1: They put him in that to watch You ain't missing? So what what would you think?
Speaker 2: What kind of stories or characters you would want to be telling or exploring next?
Speaker 1: What's the next? Good question, my nigga.
Speaker 3: Uh, my dream role is as I saw a time to kill Remember this nigga hopped out the closet on him at the at the courthouse and killed them.
Speaker 1: Niggas raped his daughter Sam Jack.
Speaker 3: But Matthew McConney put on a clinic that's right in that courtroom.
Speaker 1: That ship. I want to fuck a courtroom drama up play a lawyer. Really blow that ship out the water. It's crazy.
Speaker 3: That's fire fucking you know what I'm saying. Then bringing up Samuel Jackson Rest in peace to Quincy Jones. Samuel that like Quincy Jones on the movie role, he got records like Quincy. He's the most box office nigga. Now it used to be like Harrison ford A. It's Sam jack that's crazy.
Speaker 1: He all his ship is broke like a bee.
Speaker 3: Bees and that he's literally in every movie. I don't think it's like twenty movies in the world that he ain't in. I saw some ship just always forget some titles, but I just saw some ship he was in.
Speaker 1: I was like from like twenty three two hours, Like I was mad, like and I ain't see this yet. I'm telling you that he got some bangers.
Speaker 3: He do, yo, Nick Fury, That's a fact, right, Fury.
Speaker 1: Fury Man.
Speaker 2: So when like speaking of celebrities and stars like that, that magnitude of impact he created for himself, Like when people hit the name Hasan Johnson, what you want them to associate and remember you by, like your body of work?
Speaker 3: They that all my ship solid, No, And I was a reliable nigga and my ship every you know what I mean? Like that's all Like I really love of the craft and the passion so much that I don't never want anything to be about me.
Speaker 1: So if I'm in it as a bonus.
Speaker 3: But I want the project to really stand on his feet and then just be happy that I'm a part of history.
Speaker 1: Maybe the why you conditioned me like that?
Speaker 3: Yes, you know what I'm saying, because I don't know no one and even Mike, if he was here, Michael k rest in peace. He tell you, ain't no one of us could steal no glory from that now. It ain't no one of us, not him, I don't think would Idris, Wendle, Piars, Clark Peters, Lance Reddick, God rest his soul.
Speaker 1: There ain't no one Andre Royo, JD.
Speaker 3: William There ain't no one of us that could feel like that sea.
Speaker 2: It was because of a collectively y'all all made that show what it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, it was not one person. I watched that ship.
Speaker 3: Every episode was for a different character, a different story, and just that lead. They was following them into some beef for this. You know how they gonna work they way out of this.
Speaker 2: So it wasn't just like you watch one thing when it's just for that like.
Speaker 3: The one off like it's just for that, right, you got compelled, you got everybody. You have to rewatch it, to watch other people's story to prod out why after that because you wasn't paying attention word, I was like, how much.
Speaker 1: You were studying? Like this something went over your head. You gotta back. That's a fact.
Speaker 3: So that's why I should end up being like, I know they had a course. I think the first it's all over the place now throughout the country, but I think Berkeley.
Speaker 1: Or one of them had like a wire one on one.
Speaker 3: Course like back like almost probably fifteen years ago over because that ship needed to be studied.
Speaker 1: That's a fact. Like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Like my thing one thing I always wanted to do, I always dreamed of, but I never got the I ain't gonna say the resources.
Speaker 1: I just never met the right people.
Speaker 2: I always felt like there's never been a real true New York comedy movie, like like a Friday, right, you know what I'm saying, It's never really been a real New York And then a lot of our New York movies we hot Jack, like King of New York.
Speaker 3: Frank White is the guy that's not real, like Frank White's running around a bunch of black niggers.
Speaker 1: Damn embellishment.
Speaker 3: So be through the rule. New Jack City was in New York. That's Detroit, you know what I'm saying. So we really don't have a lot of the clip. We stole a lot of classes, right, we don't have our own.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 2: Yes, So like speaking of like a Friday a person like ice Cube, Like if I'm speaking it's correct, I might be wrong.
Speaker 1: I thought I feel like they say down Pool wrote Friday Djool dj Pool. But see that, But that's the shot value.
Speaker 3: But that's the type of shot value that you still provid, Like when you hear like, oh what.
Speaker 1: You call it road that I ain't that DJ who? Yeah? Man, Like did you ever ever think about pinning the movie up? Yeah? Come yourself.
Speaker 3: I'm actually working on something now with my nigga, Little Sean.
Speaker 1: A word call just got paid the rapper. Yeah, his paying game is retarded. A Little Sean flexed on me as a shorty back. I owe him a.
Speaker 2: Flex if you know he know he wanted at Jay in my lifetime video shoot the remixing Brooklyn.
Speaker 3: I'm a little dirty, dusty nigga sitting there chilling. He was always the hoikies. My nigga walked up on me, called this chain out. He's like, yo, you know, am I missing a dimon? Oh?
Speaker 1: He is you with one of those. I looked at this nigga like he hits you with one of Yeah, Like I can't wait till I get somebody there. This how you do it? This FLEs diamond? Yeah, let me know, I can't see.
Speaker 3: I always felt like you don't get and that was just some whatever type.
Speaker 1: He wasn't doing it out of no knowledge like that. I wouldn't even world. But we got some flashy court just got paid. That's like a Friday take place in flat Bush. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I got all the elements, the characters organic, yes, the storyline, so being his dog like you said, like, I think that's where when he hit me with it and I read the synopsis, was like, well we don't got our own ship, right, I feel like and then it would be like if I could compare it to something, it's so what you call it on steroids because then that was a film. But it got like all the ship compacted. It's like a flat Bush misdemeanor, you know, what I mean.
Speaker 1: But if we turned it into a filmy and yeah, so and my thing is always said to being at the city. Pause. You know this kids, everything is poorsed. You gave us say ship like big you yo yo yo yo yo. Here we need to bring back yo m TV rights.
Speaker 2: Words as big as the city is always felt like you can do a Friday funny comedy mixed in with a hangover style.
Speaker 3: Where all over the place. You know what I'm saying, just going locations. I mean you got you got the city to go crazy, and you got stating now in Brooklyn, Halem.
Speaker 1: You even go to Long Island and get niggas.
Speaker 3: Word we used to get confused with Long all Long Island, right, so now you're right niggas because that's what i'maying.
Speaker 1: I got people from Coney all.
Speaker 3: Right, that's his own world world and then you got on that's another one my aunt.
Speaker 1: Right. So what I'm saying like it's come on like b K alone. Then the tentacles go crazy. But then that's what would make it.
Speaker 2: I want you got to have the relationships and the different but rows and different.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you it could be done, but the guy can really tell it I'm gonna it with you on that because it's just being I see that's where your heart at the man, Because we really need want to rep rep the town like we spost to rep the town.
Speaker 3: Niggas just want to be sweet with it and with the motion and looking sweet the way. We really the responsible for repping and putting our ship on from it. We don't really have nothing like that, right, oh my g you know, because you know Friday is Cali.
Speaker 1: That's all all day.
Speaker 2: That's and what I love about that he captured in that movie.
Speaker 1: Each character from one, two, and three the sheet.
Speaker 2: Really depicts the lifestyle of la Californian person.
Speaker 1: You will meet a Mexican like the like the day but he had with the door.
Speaker 3: Yah, yeah, that's yeah, you gotta day.
Speaker 1: They out there like like they like I know what you saying too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when we do ship we embellish like you said that Frank White's and then like the.
Speaker 1: Ship it's just natural organic.
Speaker 3: Ye not they not capping and going over the top, No, make it funnier, but that's them people act.
Speaker 1: That's bro.
Speaker 2: When I look at movies like the Wash Bro, that ship that's like class just to even yo, bro, just to even look at how doctor Dre and Snoop even acted them roles.
Speaker 3: I can never look at my man cheek and be like, yo, dog, you got me fired. If we're gonna be laught, you're gonna take the two weeks to film that scene.
Speaker 1: Because that's how much we're gonna be laughing like, And there was probably the two carmis niggas in the whole when.
Speaker 2: You think about it, yes, bro right that so I feel like we need one of those. So what my next question to you would be, what's the next chapter you see going far as like acting, we spoke on producing, crying, and do you like we basically just chopped all that up right now, that's what's next.
Speaker 1: Note, that's it. That's what snackt my nigga.
Speaker 3: That the oscoum doing what we already got playing it SE's doing. And then really the alley to shut off the backboard, five kids and whoever after this, that's a fact, stone right. They ain't really nowhere, I mean, and they always say, get a lot worse before it get better.
Speaker 1: But that's all the outside noise, that's the distractions.
Speaker 3: The ship to keep us stacked. Don't get worse for it get better. It's already worse, right, you feel like you only gotten better. He was born at our world, that bro. I tell people all the time. They be like, yo, yo, you know the recession coming, Okay? I was born in that, all right?
Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 3: I was a recession should don't affect me from we're talking about. I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: I know how to back. I know how to eat aureos today. I know how to sit down. Just sit down. You know.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you pulling up my guy. His love always man solid.
Speaker 3: Anything you gotta promote, anything you want to get out there.
Speaker 1: You ever want to come up here and get a word off around.
Speaker 2: My house is your whole, not you, you, my brother and family, and I love you for life, health and wealth.
Speaker 1: Baby, that's what we preach in. You know what it means, rock solid for life.
Speaker 3: I saw Johnson Rep in the city the where it's supposed to have been repped.
Speaker 1: You know what it is acting gag bones on the shoe in.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows at and you can follow me on any social media platform under the name Memphis Bleach.
Speaker 1: You see anybody fraud and flagging