Speaker 1: Toss Popcorn is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm Sianna Jacob and I'm Leanna Holston and welcome to Tossed Popcorn, the podcast where two idiots watched every film on the AFI's one hundred Greatest American Movies of All Times, the Very Slightly Less Racist tenth Anniversary edition, and are now watching films of our own and listeners choosing that were directed by women. This podcast is a safe conversion camp for people who don't know anything about movies. Today we're watching but I'm a cheerleader, I'm a sexual, I'm all of sexual. Congratulations Megan. Warning, there will be spoilers about this gay old film. A content warning I suppose for yeah, conversion therapy, Yeah slash. It's a parody of it, but it is still a topic.
Speaker 1: True.
Speaker 2: Oh girl, I just woke up from a nap. I feel I feel like a haunted Edwardian child.
Speaker 1: I woke up from a full night's sleep. Okay, just after I said that, I remember.
Speaker 2: You remember when do you remember that time where I was like, oh, yeah, I feel this way about things, like I feel like sometimes this happens to me, and you were like, yeah, sometimes that happens to me too. But it turned out it was the exact opposite for you, when.
Speaker 1: You were like, oh yeah, when like men turn not to be engaged, and then I was like, this guy keeps talking to me, and I think.
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah, yeah, I'm sorry, say I missed the mark with that one.
Speaker 2: Sorry about that. It's so funny to try and commiserate and then realize you've shared something that's exactly the opposite you. You're actually experiencing exactly what the person is 'rening for. Yeah, you're like, oh really, sorry about that about Lantis. I'm sorry about.
Speaker 1: That, Leona.
Speaker 2: Now, well, prediction we do, Yeah, we do.
Speaker 1: Prediction. So had you seen this movie? Had you you hadn't known anything about this movie?
Speaker 2: Hey, let me play in my prediction.
Speaker 1: Gosh, how perfect is that? Yes?
Speaker 2: I think I may answer those questions in it if I. If memory serves Hi, Sienna, it's Leanna. I'm above to watch. But I'm a cheerleader. I don't know much about this beyond Natasha Leone and lesbians, but I gotta predict there will be cheerleading and kind of really kind of like maybe an early two thousands or late nineties take on gay rights so sligh love you guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my gosh, wow. I already want to talk about it so much. But first, let's do my predict. Okay, let's do my pretty That was of the greatest love songs.
Speaker 2: On two CDs this Valentine's Day nineteen ninety nine. Order for your loved one. High Leanna.
Speaker 1: This is I'm about to watch outside. But I'm a cheerleader. I got this movie that's been on my list for a really long time. I really love Natasha.
Speaker 2: Leone Are You at the Zoo? It seems so.
Speaker 1: Funny and campy and kitchy and gay, and I'm really excited to watch it. I don't really know what to expect. I know the basic plot is, like, I think a gay conversion camp sort of thing, Yeah, something like that. But I can't wait to see what this could. Classic is such a classic? Nice?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: I love you Goodbye?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I knew it was a cult favorite. I've seen the trailer like a million times, but I've been around to watching it. M shout out to one of our listeners actually who even said that we should.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, someone very recently messaged on our list.
Speaker 1: But I'll say that moved it up the power of the people. It is true, you don't know what we're doing well theanna before we get into it, which again I just can't wait. Yeah, hey girl, how's it going?
Speaker 2: Hey girl, I'm I'm fresh back from a march against fascism really in London.
Speaker 1: Fashion our fascism or your fascism?
Speaker 2: Global? Global, but certainly certainly America was the topic within it, mainly Elon Musk, but then also this guy Tommy Robbins in the UK who has been a leader of the far right in the UK for a couple of decades, and was it's just kind of a piece of crap, you know, And there was apparently a march in support of him and his hateful agenda. And so today today and so Dustie, there was a counter protest by people who think other people deserve rights. Yes, I'm sorry, it just sometimes I don't understand the agenda of the other side because I'm like.
Speaker 1: What are you accomplishing it? I just.
Speaker 2: I don't know why we don't think people should have rights. I don't want to get into it too much, but I went to that ran into somebody I did an acting intensive with eight years ago, instantaneously at the march said hello, sides with them, I know, thank God, could you imagine? Yeah? Yeah, And honestly, the march was pretty lit. We were right by the drum section, which was super fun. And then they like singing songs. They were doing chance to the tunes of like Drunken Sailor and other banging tunes. And then my favorite one was when I say Nazi, you say scum, Nazi, scum, Nazi, scum Nazi, Nazi nazimcums come.
Speaker 1: That is nice.
Speaker 2: It was so fun. I turned around, I was like, I love that's that's a good one. That's a great one. And keep marching, keep marching, and like scam, scam, scim because we love the word scum here at tops podcorn and so I was yours com. I was so pleased to see it leaking into the the anti fascism movementcm com com.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Again, not to get into it too much, but yeah, that the whole the conservative side is just like, let's undo everything, let's stop progress, social progress. It's like, what are you Are you really proud of the things you've done because all you've done.
Speaker 2: Is undo And I get that. It's that tactic in order to make us exhausted, and yes not but totally my good God.
Speaker 1: Over here in America. Also, people keep being like, this is way worse than I thought, and I'm like, how you I'm not. It's not helpful to be like it's not helpful to be like that. Now to there, like I told you so, and I don't.
Speaker 2: Revel in that.
Speaker 1: However, Yeah, this is absolutely as bad as I thought it was going to be. But yeah, we're out here, We're staying educated. Love, love to see you out there marching. Also, congrats on your show that you're taking to the French that Leanna famously did not mention last week. Well, I truly had to edit down how long we talked about your toothbrush and yet not once just mentioned any of these accomplishments here on our comedy podcast.
Speaker 2: My accomplishment of being against fascism. Hey girl, I've recently achieved being against fascism.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: I completed it. I've completed being against fascism. Yes, my friend and I are taking a show to the Fringe, the Edinburgh Festival Fringe this summer. We're very excited about it. And we did our first work in progress show yay this week, Yes, yay, yay, May you come.
Speaker 1: I don't have any plans of death for this year.
Speaker 2: I like, I don't have any plans passed when my current visa expires because I still don't know about my next one. So yeah, God, come on down. Well, I know I'll at least be in Scotland in August. Beyond that, who's to say.
Speaker 1: Who's to say? Okay, well, we'll figure.
Speaker 2: Girl, I really want to go to that ice cream shop. I follow her, Mary's Milk Bar. If you've not been, if you are there and you see me in line, you let me in front of you. I've said it already, okay, in a brand ambassador for her for ten years, So.
Speaker 1: You're not recommending it. You're just telling people that you are going to cut them.
Speaker 2: I will be there and I will cut you in line. If you are at Mary's Milk Bar, no, please go so it stays open so I can go again. But again, if I've gone and you're there, I will be cutting in front of you. Oh, Mama needs her gelato.
Speaker 1: Mama, Mama, mama, Hey girl, hey girl, I'm just gonna give you some rapid fire updates. First of Okay, for breakfast, I noticed I'm eating a series of black sludges because I'm having a vegemite, which is very delicious. I'm sorry now that I get it, I really get it. But then coffee sometimes are you ever drinking coffee? And you're like, what are we even doing to ourselves? Yeah? Yeah, you know, it's just like hah, it is a drug. Yeah, caffeine water. And then I put people syrup in it, and I was just looking around and I was like, oh, this is a lot of sludge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a lot of slugs. They're like, do you remember that villain from the movie fern Gully the Last Range?
Speaker 1: Yes, and I think about it often. Yeah, yes, exactly. That's what I am right now this morning, just gooping around. Uh. I had to make a puppet for a short film, and okay, I gotta say, I'm actually really proud of it.
Speaker 2: Is that what was on your Instagram story the other day? Yes, there was a photo of something in the front seat of a car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they' I'll post more of it because to be honest, to be honest, what this really is is I had to do this project. They wanted some alien looking puppet that looks kind of like Stitch or one of the Gremlins puppets. Yeah, which it's not hard at all to make something look like something else, at least for me. I'm always kind of creative. I'm like, do you want it to be interesting and creative in this way?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: And they're like, gosh, no, we want it to be just exactly like that first thing. And I'm like, I know I can do that.
Speaker 2: What you're like the second son of a wealthy aristocratic family in London in the in the Georgian era, like in the early nineteenth century, who's like, I want to be an artist, but everything I do is derivative. I want to do something original, something.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the thing is, I don't mind doing something derivative. I don't mind me it's just that I usually feel the pressure to do something better and different. But here they're like, no, your job is just to do something that's exactly like those other things. And I said, no problem, no problem. But every first thing that I did ended up working out, and I realized it's because I just know what to do now, because I've gained skills.
Speaker 2: No crazy, Oh, it's nice.
Speaker 1: It's like one of the most successful things I've done in a long time. But it's after all the trial and error. So that's been that's been exciting.
Speaker 2: That is very cool.
Speaker 1: Okay, And the final thing I'll share is that the other day my friends realized how large my wingspan is. And I was thinking about that at the beginning of this podcast because I had to reach for my this blanket and it was really far away, and yet I grabbed it and I was like, there's that wingspan again.
Speaker 2: There she is, there, she blows. Is it longer than your height? I imagined it's the same.
Speaker 1: I don't think it can be, can it. I mean, well, and I don't know.
Speaker 2: Your limbs are a little freakish. Yeah, I think I just wonder if your large feet, if maybe you're if maybe you also had for some reason a big wingspan.
Speaker 1: I think it's especially I think it is like my feet, and that it's particularly large. I'm a real I'm a real loose lady.
Speaker 2: Everything's yeah, yeah, yeah, anyway, it's noticeable.
Speaker 1: You can't see it on the podcast, but I feel like you can probably hear it. I have a very large wingspan.
Speaker 2: People are always reading in to be like, does Siana have a big wingspan.
Speaker 1: You can hear.
Speaker 2: Something like, she's got quite the wingspan. Well, there's air is bending around something, and my senses it's Enna's wingspan.
Speaker 1: Well, Leanna, we've hate girls. Hey, speaking of the old wave of girls and girls and girls bodies. Yes, talking about her film, Would.
Speaker 2: You please give us a synopsis of But I'm a Cheerleader?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will. But I'm a Cheerleader. Natasha Leone is sent to a campy gay conversion camp.
Speaker 4: Hm.
Speaker 1: But she ends up falling in love with the girl and embracing who she is the end.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's really what happens. It is campy. It is called the Yeah, Leanna, let's move on to phone notes. We're talking about the note that we took on our phone while watching the movie.
Speaker 2: But at the top of this, I want.
Speaker 1: To know you feel about it generally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, let me up at the top of at the top of that apologize because I took like seven notes during the course of the entire movie. It turned out okay, great. Yeah, I was watching it. I think I was also kind of processing, you know, being anti fascist. I was a little I just kind of reconciling, you know.
Speaker 1: It felt a little silly to me watching something after I'd just been actually ending fascism.
Speaker 2: So for me, like, I mean, a movie is getting out in the streets. I can't say the movie ended fascism, but I did. It kind of pales in comparison to randing fascism. Yeah, yeah, I single handedly ended fascism today and you're welcome.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I just was tired, so I didn't write much down. But as a result, I really had my eyeballs on the film much more than I normally do. Me too, Oh okay, and then now that that uptop has been cleared, we can move down to the other up top, which is I I thought this movie, this is said with so much love. This movie was bad, but I didn't mind that. Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like in terms of it's quality, yeah, the acting was.
Speaker 2: It was really silly. And then I thought some of the acting was really hard to watch as in bad huh. But overall it's so camp that I was like, that's fine, that's the genre. Totally totally Leanna, how about you.
Speaker 1: I loved it. I think it's my favorite movie. Whoa, I loved it so much. Oh my gosh, I see what you mean about it being quote unquote bad because it's just exactly the type of thing that holds my attention.
Speaker 2: Ah yeah, and I.
Speaker 1: Just loved it. I loved the cast. There was what you said in your prediction where you said like it would be like a nineties take on ye gay rights and things. I expected it to be a lot more dated and where it was coming from, But it was just like a lot sweeter than I expected. I thought. I knew there'd be like funny gay jokes and everything, Uh, but be funny gay jokes and then it would be making fun of it. But I thought I thought it would be more irreverent, I guess, and it was really campy, but.
Speaker 2: You know what, over the top. I really thought there was gonna be a lot more cheerleading. I thought it was going to be like bring it on, like they're training for the championship and she's kind of grappling with her homosexuality along the way. But I expected a lot of routines and there was not even one.
Speaker 1: No. Once she does at the end is like so not cheerleading. I loved it. I thought it was so much fun, Oh yay, and just really sweet.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, well.
Speaker 1: Your first note is kissing really seems like it sucks. Listen, say more, it's been a it's been a minute. Don't pretend you haven't kissed.
Speaker 2: No, but it has been a minute. Uh, it's been a long minute.
Speaker 1: So even thinking about it, I'm remembering it like this.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm just like, it's a lot of tongues. Well, I would say it's a little bit terrible. And I get that they were over I was gonna say overdoing it, I hope. Even when she was kissing a girl, I was a little bit like, I don't know, actually good either, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to be clear, the kiss with her boyfriend was.
Speaker 2: Over the top.
Speaker 1: Oh, definitely bad.
Speaker 2: Bad.
Speaker 1: I thought that was so she was.
Speaker 2: Not into it. I did think that was funny. And then I was just like, Okay, it's gross, please stop. Yeah, ad break actor, dancer, homosexual. I'll be right back. Yeah, Seanna, your first note is cheerleading is insane? Okay.
Speaker 1: Did you know cheerleading at your school in high school or middle school?
Speaker 2: Middle school? We did have cheerleading in high school.
Speaker 1: I don't think.
Speaker 2: I don't think you're allowed to throw a child that young in the air, are you middle school?
Speaker 1: I think you are allowed to throw a child that high in the air, if it's like at their own cheerleading camps, as long as it's school throwing them in. The reason I thought of that is because my roommate actually she did it in middle school.
Speaker 2: She said, whoa gosh, that's young. Uh, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know, it just feels like it's one of those things that I think. It was kind of a classic high school. We didn't have them at my high school because my high school was Catholic. No, it just like, was, what's the word, what's the Catholic? When it's like braggy Catholic. No, No, pretentious. My high school was pretentious in that they kind of thought they were better than everybody else else. That's kind of how I think. So it's like, we don't have cheerleading, we have like a spirit squad because okay, because we're special and so I always thought of it as sort of a distant concept. But it's one of those things that I look back on now that I'm done with school. Yeah, I'm like, that is one of the most hardcore sporting events you can possibly do. People are throwing themselves. You have to be so buff to do that and that's just the thing that we're like, oh my god, like so hot, like they're there, these incredibly athletes. I've never done anything like that. I've never done any sort of flip. I don't know if I've ever ever gotten air in my whole life. I don't think I've ever gotten air.
Speaker 2: Really. Oh you gotta go get air.
Speaker 1: My wingspan.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you'd be slapping the whole team, everybody, the whole pyramid down.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, Leanna, your next note is hahaha, my Christmas her I assume vegetarian part.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the vegetarian meal she has of corn, peas and carrots and mashed potato. That is literally what I eat on Christmas dinner.
Speaker 1: That is so funny. I was looking at that just like where is what's the secret? What's the secret vegetarian meat?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were just tired, you know.
Speaker 1: The I'm like the equivalent of people being like now, which one's the girl and which one god in like gay relationships, like which one you use the meat? Which one is the meat? What do you which? What? What do you eat? Is the meat? So I don't understand it.
Speaker 2: You're so uh car carneo normative.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I don't even eat that much meat. I don't like cooking it that much. But I have just a thief that I.
Speaker 2: Haven't seen you eat a lot of meat. You'll have like a dried stink of meat.
Speaker 1: Thanks. That's the thing. I always try to throw a little bit in once a day, m but I often don't. I don't know what I eat.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'll have a lot of canned fish things like that. Oh god, oh my god.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I'll read your next note, which is kind of along the vibes what we're talking about. You said, honey, we think you're a lesbian. My family waiting for me to come out.
Speaker 2: Everybody's waiting. I'm like, listen. As soon as I know, I'll let you know because I keep performing at this venue in London called the Queer Comedy Club, and my family are so wonderfully supportive, especially when I repost those nights to my stories, like they're like.
Speaker 1: Yes, love love this, honey, I love that, And guess how's fun I love you?
Speaker 2: We all love you. I'm like, thank you. It's I have a gig that is so funny. But yeah, that is how it feels, or like I went to a friend's birthday that was like specifically at like a lesbian karaoke venue, and I had dinner with my family the next night and they were like, and how was the party?
Speaker 1: You're like, I know, you guys just want clarity and I can't grant you that, and I me as well.
Speaker 2: I'd love to know again. As soon as I know, I'll let you know. Messiena, you wrote, Leona, what's your heterosexual root? I was a little bit confused about this. I kind of missed this. I thought they were so funny. Though, they're so funny.
Speaker 1: So they all have these they're supposed to find again, it's a gay conversion camp. It's like completely all this is very wrong. This is true. Anybody out there who's it's listening to our podcast and still has misguided views on these things. This isn't how things work.
Speaker 2: But yeah, they were the homophobic listeners who are are always tuning in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is they were trying to find their root, their homosexual root, the thing that made them gay.
Speaker 2: They were what was your favorite one?
Speaker 1: Grants's I loved my mom got married in pants? Oh yeah, and then uh Shanades was I.
Speaker 2: Was born and was born in France. Yeah, that was my favorite one.
Speaker 1: So funny.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, that would do it.
Speaker 1: I was born in France.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 1: They were so funny. Anyway, again, not to define our sexualities, but for your particular weird sexuality do you have?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, we all have weird sexualities. I mean for your weird whatever you've got going on. Honestly, if anything, I'm rocking an asexual vibe right now, which I think stems from my wasp heritage, and well that is just inappropriate.
Speaker 1: My mom got married in pants.
Speaker 2: I am. I am descended from wasps a church, thank you?
Speaker 1: Which kind?
Speaker 2: They got married in Maine? I don't. I think Episcopalian. A few years back I was informed, as Protestant.
Speaker 1: Your parents got married in an Episcopalian church in Maine, So maybe.
Speaker 2: That's your I mean, couldn't get wasp beer. Really, really, what's yours? Hm hmm. Catholicism?
Speaker 1: Ye, honestly, straight up, I don't know. Let's just say it was the first time they did the we all come from dust, and to test dust, you will return songs at school.
Speaker 2: Was ashes to ashes, dust to dust.
Speaker 1: Leanna, you said, fake garden two weeks in a row. Weird?
Speaker 2: What was that the woman who ran the funding fake flowers in Dirt Bai Rose.
Speaker 1: This movie did have.
Speaker 2: There was overlap, an odd sort of facility.
Speaker 1: They're trying to change the youths.
Speaker 2: To be quote unquote normal. Yeah, the parents take them there so that the kids can have a quote unquote normal life. Strange, but yeah, I found that very eerie. Actually that twice that in both movies a woman is planting fake flowers into a garden bed. I was like, what does this say? Like? What are we? What is what is this about society that we are saying? And why does it keep coming up?
Speaker 1: What does it mean? What is this theme? Are there any characters you particularly enjoyed or who stood out to you in this movie? It's okay with the answer is no, By the way, thank you.
Speaker 2: I really liked and I'm not sure if this is true, but the cross eyed gay man.
Speaker 1: Yeah was he cross Okay? I loved he kind of was?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: I loved their energy when they had that conflict and they resolved it.
Speaker 2: Oh that was really nice.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: It was really nice they talked it out. Yeah, And then I love Melanie Lynsky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love her. Why is she so lovable?
Speaker 2: She's got such a comforting presence, Like if I was sent to conversion therapy and she who had to show me around and be like, well, maybe this is fine.
Speaker 1: I thought the woman in charge was It was really funny. She kept trying to make her son familiar. Who was I know, I got her gay son. She's like, stop at you, stop drinking out of that fancy straw.
Speaker 2: Stop it funny? Oh what?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: I was talking about the way God.
Speaker 2: The woman in charge we have seen in Raging Bull? No, what who was she? She's like the teen that he picks up from the pool.
Speaker 1: She's the girl who I'm so offended that. Well, I'm so glad she ended up here in her career. That actually warms my heart so much that she ended up in this very gay movie directed by a woman, a queer woman.
Speaker 2: Instead of oh I think was the opposite of Raging Bull.
Speaker 1: This is the opposite. It's the remedy. I looked it immediately versus hating it immediately, and it's made my life better instead of ruining my life. Oh my gosh. That is women's rights in a big way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, you did note having a full conversation in the middle of hooking up is women's ready.
Speaker 1: I loved that. I love that they're like a sex scene where first of all, it was a very beautiful and cute sex scene that's just like kissing and kind of like lovingly touching each other a little, and then they stop, yeah, finger blasting, finger bringing, finger boning, finger boning, and then they stop talk for a while about cheerleading, and then it's just like back into the music and making out. And I was like, absolutely.
Speaker 2: Love that about their real.
Speaker 1: I've been missing out, I really have What am I doing?
Speaker 2: Do you think? Do you think you'll give it a go?
Speaker 1: Probably not, because I think I'm but I found a person who's very much one of the girls, even though yeah is identifying male leading leaning.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I loved a lot about their relationship, the emphasis on that they just really enjoyed each other's company and left together. I think if I'd seen that in high school, that may have taught me a valuable lesson. And if you're supposed to have a crush on someone who you enjoy spending time with, m.
Speaker 1: There's just something that's really hard to wrap your head around. I think I think probably another part of what I was yearning for is that even though there was queer media around, I didn't really embrace it in a way where so much of in high school you're just like I was still doing the performative girl thing for boys. Like not even that I was doing that that much, but even in my head, I was like, oh, I'm supposed to be like this. I was always think about what I was supposed to be, like yeah, for guys, because that's what so much of media is. Yeah, queer media is often really really pushing back on that obviously, and I just wish I could have absorbed it more because, like you said, yeah, there's so many beautiful lessons in it. They're just friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Leonna, your final notes are this movie is bad, but that's okay, and thank you. Remember shanded fascism before this, so she was looking at it through that line.
Speaker 2: Sorry guys. Yeah, it was a specific thing.
Speaker 1: And then Leona, your last note is OMG, yes, cheer your way into her heart.
Speaker 2: I did. I love that she was like, I did it. I wrote a cheer for you.
Speaker 1: It was cute.
Speaker 2: It's just really cute. I love that she was, like I just love cheerleading. I really love it so much.
Speaker 1: I loved that too. They didn't make her give it up or go like, oh this is stupid. This is part of hetro yeah, the hetero world, and this is part of my old life. She's like, I love it. I love it so much, and the only thing I love as much is cheerley. He's making out was my girlfriend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Very's exhilarating. Very, it was really cute. And Siena, your last note is the cocksucker looks lit af looked fun.
Speaker 5: People are there every night, but they say people, Yeah, they'll all go there every night. There's a nice sense of community, certainly the cocksucker.
Speaker 1: I just want a big fat wiener in money. Do you think women are pretty? You're gay? We'll be right back.
Speaker 4: We're gay, you are gay?
Speaker 1: Well, Leonna. Let's move on to badges and trages.
Speaker 2: Yes, where we give badge our segment. Yes, this is our segment.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is our segment where we give badges for bisexuality, sexuality, being true to yourself, and trages for trying to change the people you love.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, a badge for they let Melanie be from New Zealand. I thought they were gonna make her do an American accent, because they always make her do an American they do exactly accent.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, yay, badge for the cast. I love Natasha Leone and Ru Paul Are you kidding? Honestly? I love whenever he acts and things. I just watched the episode of broad City that he's in, and it's one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Still, Oh my gosh, talent, so funny. A badge for the color scheme. I really enjoyed the aesthetic of this film in that way. It reminded me of Lisa Frankenstein, which we watched for Patreon. But then I got a little spooked because Lisa Frankenstein was so spooky and it felt similar as wells that, like, I was thinking a lot about Lisa Frankenstein actually, and then I was like, eh, then I was like kissing his gross I was like, he's a monster. His penis fell off, uh ew, she had a.
Speaker 1: Sewe back on.
Speaker 2: Anyway, there they they commit so much to an aesthetic, and also I think I feel unsettled in these kind of surreal worlds that these movies create create, And then I get a little afraid that it's gonna get violent or like I get what you unhinged.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's this liminal space that I told you get that. It's like when you watch some adult animation, you're always waiting for it to become gross and violent, you know what I mean, like something about the actual it's this this uh aesthetic is used often in yeah or yeah thanks, so then you're.
Speaker 2: Expecting yeah, I do get that, but then they didn't, and so simply a badge for the Colors team.
Speaker 1: I'll give my badge now for art direction. I mean it's just really good, Like when she wakes up and she's on that pillow case that has like it's like cute sort of paper doll girls all over it, and yeah, it's all pink. I love their Another badge I have is for their room. Yeah pink, and they have the plastic pillowcases and it's just so cute and cool.
Speaker 2: I loved that purple room that they were in where it was all like purple corsets and stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, iconic.
Speaker 2: A badge for this movie is hilarious. There were so many hilarious moments in this, like when when the gay boys are playing football, I just let like you could really feel that there was there were queer creators making this and everybody was like having fun. Yeah, it just seemed like it was fun to make and everybody felt safe and they were. It was so tongue in cheek that it was like this is this is also for the girly, like this is for the gaze and by the game and of the gaze.
Speaker 1: I'm so happy to live in a world I want to we have. We must preserve and protect queerness in this world, even when fascism is taking over. Please please, please. It is the beautiful thing about being alive. Badge for so cute. I was so much sweeter than I even expected. That was a real treat for me here. I thought it would be a lot more sort of I don't know, drag queen humor, which is to say, sort of a reverent you know yeah yeah yeah, and like really funny and.
Speaker 2: But there's like a biting nature to that type of humor.
Speaker 1: But it was just it was super sweet, Like it just ends with yeh, she does a cute cheer of like I love you, and then they kiss. It's really cute.
Speaker 2: I will give a final badge for community because I really loved that, like the x X gaye who have their own house and they come and they take them to the nightclub and they're like, we're just showing you, like what life could like, another option for what life could be. And that's where she goes when she has nowhere else to go. And I was like, damn, that is also very real, like that is the found family concept, and but it was in like a really nice and gentle way.
Speaker 1: It was really responsible about messages like that. Yeah, Badge for Andre I loved actor dancer homosexual. He was the one who was the most Yeah, when they're like supposed to be shooting and stuff's like.
Speaker 2: Ah he breaks in action.
Speaker 1: Half meant to be butch Oh my god. I loved him Badge for I thought the sex scene was really cute and really beautiful. I just love when women do sex scenes. They're just more intimate and less about showing things off to the to the audience. Yeah, it's just like it's just cute.
Speaker 2: Man. I don't know what's going on with me. Maybe I'm in my prude era, but I was just like, this is not hot. I don't think it was meant to be.
Speaker 1: I don't think it was meant to be.
Speaker 2: I think it's like it's teens kissing. Yeah, the whole time I was like, oh, and not because they're lesbians.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: I would have said that about anybody of any gender, sure, and any sexuality.
Speaker 1: Totally sure.
Speaker 2: I think it was, Yeah, it's not meant to be, like, hbo, you.
Speaker 1: Were already so turned off by their acting too and watching them kiss, You're like, I loved it. Then my final badges are, of course, I'll just say it one more time in case we cut it out. I just want a big fat wiener up. I thought that was so funny. And then my final bygees for that she loves cheerleading and then she gets to keep loving it. Yeah, how she expresses herself because she's a cheerleader. Yes, finally, trages.
Speaker 2: Trage is trage for kissing. Sure, I guess is where I'm at right now? Do you know what it is? Also? Genuinely, every single time I go up the escalator from the tube at the station nearest my flat, someone is kissing. Well two people takes two to tango. People are kissing in front of me because for some reason, couples love to turn and face each other on the escalator and kiss right in front of me makes me want to jump into the Thames. And it happens every single te I hate it so much. I'm anti kissing right now. Stop kissing everybody, don't do it. I don't want to see that in that.
Speaker 1: Why are they? What is it about London that's making people smooch?
Speaker 2: I don't know, because also why won't they if clearly, if you're smooching hy, are none of you smooching me?
Speaker 1: Why don't you just turn around and plant one here?
Speaker 2: God? You know what it is? What I got the ick about my crush this week, and I think I'm just like mad in general totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the ick is Listen, I understand where you're at. I've had icked moments, weeks, months, and it's just like everything is gross.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so confusing, it's so confused, a good girl.
Speaker 1: My main trage is that I looked up a picture of the director and her hair was so good. But it's like, oh, she has straight hair and I will never be able to have that haircut. But it is exactly the haircut I dream of having.
Speaker 2: Oh damn.
Speaker 1: It was like kind of like an easy semi mullet, but just like an easy, short, little chop.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm sorry that happened, thank you. Yeah, I have a trage for being a woman sucks. Yeah. They're doing that thing of like, oh my god, yeah, discovering your gender role in society. And of course again it's all tongue in cheek, but the boys are learning what like men do in the world, and it's like chopping wood, grabbing their crotch and playing football with the boys. And the girls are learning what women do, and it's like maintaining the home. Have it like giving birth and then rearing a baby. My god, I was like, being a woman is awful. I had a nightmare last night about giving birth. I had a nightmare that I was agnant and I was like, guys, I.
Speaker 1: Really don't have this baby, and they're like, you're far along, you have to. It was terrifying.
Speaker 2: It's very very scary.
Speaker 1: Tho's all your trages.
Speaker 2: That's it. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, let's move on to our next segment, which is, of course, how to pretend you've seen this film.
Speaker 2: This is for you are.
Speaker 1: At a football game, m You're just there to see your friend the cheerleader do her athletic feats, but of course a lot of people are there for the football, as if that's any as if that takes nearly as much work as the cheerleading.
Speaker 2: And uh, what was her boyfriend's name, like Jonathan or something?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Oh, he was so creepy.
Speaker 2: Jared, Jared, Jared, and Jali.
Speaker 1: Comes Football's up to you and says, Hey, so glad you're here at my game, he said, can't wait to make out playing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going to make out on you.
Speaker 1: You're like, oh, he says, you know, being at this game always reminds me of for some reason he wants to tell you about. But I'm a cheerleader. Can you you're a girl? I think a lot of girls kind of like this. Maybe I'll impress you with this and then we can make out. I thought all the makeout scenes in that movie between the guys and the girls were really good, super hot. So maybe I'll impress you by telling you about this movie. You've probably never seen it before. It's kind of a cult cult movie.
Speaker 2: And in order to tackle Jared to the ground and out of this conversation, We're going to give you a few sentences you can say to pretend you've seen the film, but I'm a cheerleader. Yes, Jared, I've seen, but I'm a cheerleader. My favorite celebrity sighting in that film was the one, the only, Rufio from the Robin Williams version of Peter Pan.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 2: That of course is called hook. Oh that's what my.
Speaker 1: The Robin Williams Peter pan Yeah, my roommate said the same thing. And you know what I recognized him from. I was like, his voice is so familiar. He's Zuko from Avatar the Last Air Vibe.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, no, wonder Zuko is hot? Zuko is I was like, wait, who is the one with the face scar right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's hot?
Speaker 2: I was. Yeah.
Speaker 1: When I heard that voice, I'm like, why is this voice making me feel things?
Speaker 2: It's Rufio, the leader of the Last Boys, the hottest Last Boy.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I worry about Natasha Leone. Okay has a really cool vibe. But she has the vibe of somebody who had some like crazy teen years where she didn't have any supervision, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Okay, So is that like true or is that somebody else? I'm thinking, I feel like that's true. Don't she have stage parents or something.
Speaker 1: The fact that she was in this this young makes me think that she was one of those New York kids where they treat you like you're twenty five when you're thirteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well here's a piece of trivia for us. Yes, yes, Jared, I have seen, but I'm a cheerleader. Fun fact. The day before shooting, Natasha Leone had gotten drunk and was tattooed on her back shoulder at a shop on Hollywood Boulevard. The director was very upset because Natasha had to film scenes in a sports broad doing cheer routines the director. Now that I think about it, they don't really show her back, the director said. Uh. The director said to her, how could you do this? And Natasha responded, I don't know what happened. Oh oh god.
Speaker 2: Oh god. I'm about to clap back at Jared, but I'm interrupted by the cheerleaders going five, six, seven, eight. God is good, God is straight. I said, what happened to the separation of church and state?
Speaker 1: What happened to the superation of church and state? Oh my gosh, Oh my gosh. Kathy Moriarty, who is the person who was from Raging Bull that we were talking about asks the character if she wants to be a Raging Bull Dyke. We already received an OSCAR nomination. Oh, poor girl for her role in Raging Bull.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: I love that she did this though, that she came back and she's like, we're making this.
Speaker 2: She's had a long career, her IMDb Bush's career in Big Sleigh. Thank god Godging Bull wasn't like traumatic and stopped her want to do acting whatever. You know, maybe it was traumatic, but she pushed through. I don't know. I don't know. Oh. Jared finally sachets Away back into the football game. Yes, And I say, ugh, what a I would never kiss that guy. And my friend says, it's really easy to be approved when you're not attracted to him, And I say.
Speaker 1: Oh, how dare you? Yes, Jared, I have seen but I'm a cheerleader. Cleo Duval and Natasha Leone appeared as guest judges on RuPaul's show Race in consecutive weeks. So much, well, Leanna, Let's move on to our next segment, which is, of course, should you watch us or where we tell you if you should watch this film or if you should do anything else?
Speaker 2: What do you think I would say, yes, you can watch, but I'm a cheerleader and be ready for yes very much, cult, classic vibes, specific aesthetic, a little bit, surreal, Uncanny Valley a little bit. And uh, you could also attend your nearest anti fascism march, because we have to keep up that energy even though we're tired and scared and sad. That's what they want, so we must not give it to them. That's what I would say, Ciana, what about you, I'd.
Speaker 1: Say, you can totally watch this movie. I loved it very very much. I think it is actually a great movie to watch.
Speaker 2: Please watch it, yay yay.
Speaker 1: And what would you?
Speaker 2: No? You first, what would you rate the film? But I'm a cheerleader.
Speaker 1: I am going to give this film five pomp Palms out of five.
Speaker 2: I loved it.
Speaker 1: It was great. I loved every second cue honestly, six it was great. What about you?
Speaker 2: I will give the film three lavender corsets out of five. It's not my favorite, but I also don't think. I think it's just not my style, totally fair. It's not that I think it was like objectively bad. I think I'm just very subjective about it, and I think if it's a worthwhile watch.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. I mean it was way it was totally my style.
Speaker 2: That has to be everyone's and that's what being gay is, and that's what being gay is about. Again, that is what so you know for our large homophobic contingent is tuning in every week. That's been our review everybody of But I'm a Cheerleader. We are Tossed Popcorn. You can find us on Instagram at Tossed Popcorn and you can find our bonus video episodes on our Patreon that's patreon dot com slash Tossed Popcorn for reviews of movies that are in theaters now and join us next week when we will be watching The Proposal prepending time Valentine Today, the love is in the air. Thank you, We love you. Bye bye.
Speaker 1: You can find us on Instagram as at Sienna Jaco and at Leanna Holsten. Please check the description for the spelling of our dumb names. We put out episodes every Tuesday, so make sure to subscribe so that you don't miss an episode. See you next week on Tossed Popcorn. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, check the iHeartRadio app. But I'm a Listener you right now listening to our podcast. We'll be right back. Yes, sounds like one of Marge Simpson's sisters.
Speaker 2: It is a little bit, yeah, Marge. It's giving Marge