Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to season two ninety six, Episode two of Day's Guys Stay production of My Heart Radio. This is the podcast where we take a deep dive into America Share your Cats.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and.
Speaker 1: It is Wednesday, July nineteenth, twenty twenty three. Yep, my name's Oh yeah, what's what's seven nineteen Jack?
Speaker 2: It's not. It's International Retainer Day. Yeah, teeth man, keep your teeth straight. Your parents money for your teeth, man, exactly, not the legal retainers retainer, ad Man. Not that retainer for your teeth. You know your parents paid all that money for your braces. You don't want to just god your teeth washed out on retainers, man, I'll wash up on a retainer Wana. Also National Hot Dog Day. I didn't realize that feels late.
Speaker 3: Damn.
Speaker 1: That would be like Happy Birthday January.
Speaker 2: Yeah, shout out Jamie Loftus, shout out row Dog. The book is fantastic and also so shout out to my grandmother Rest in peace, because this was a game we used to play all the time. National Words with Friends Day because she used to whoop and scrabble yo. She never she was fucking ruthless when we way scrabbled since I was since I was literate, okay, since I could play. My mom was like my grandmother was like, okay, so we got a fucking chump tonight. Yeah, Michael, yeah, Vernon Maxwell talking about But yeah that also played into like my just hardcore style because when I played with her magicy, She's like, what are you fucking doing? I'm like a triple word score that ship and like you were too good and she like she says, I'm like, way, like I'm not having fun with it. Yeah, like I'm getting because I'm I'm very mad. You know, you got to be efficient with those tiles to get the most points you can out of every word. Score that no, no, exactly, And I have the pain of my grandmother, Carmen rest in peace, just wind milling on me scrabble. But that's how you you know. I think she was very much like, don't you know, teach the kid's house really out like what it's like out there, so they can, you know, rise it. So anyway, shout out wards with friends.
Speaker 1: All Right, Well, my name is Jack O'Brien.
Speaker 4: AKA.
Speaker 1: It's no big secret why jiff O Bunnius doesn't work anymore. That was me trying to come up with the equivalent of Van Vaught for my name. The AI generated title we covered on yesterday's episode. It's no secret. It's no big secret why Van Vaught doesn't work anymore with a picture of Vince Vaughn. Hey, I is brilliant. It's gonna take all our jobs and do them so badly. Anyways, I'm thrilled to be joined as always by my co host mister Miles grand Mile Gray k.
Speaker 5: Tall and tan and young and lovely. The A I called e Banima ai ying and each where she passes, each one she passes.
Speaker 2: Go okay, shout out to locker room. He actually put dolphin noises, but I just wanted to go just kind of take it into our dystopian computer world. For those of you remember those old g I Joe PSAs from early YouTube, I was taking inspiration from the computer one.
Speaker 1: Damn that was Yeah, that sounded like all the sounds just getting blended together. I don't I don't know if I caught the store. What is the AI and Banima? Is that the name of an Ai.
Speaker 2: I could be? I don't know.
Speaker 1: The reference to a story I didn't know.
Speaker 2: No, honestly, loceroni. Let me know if that is tied to something. But you win points because you know I love a bit of uh, you know, the Brazilian Boston Nova goat, and.
Speaker 1: It got our got our energy in the night. Yes, I feel relax. Yes, shoulders are loose, Yeah, shoulders loose, head on a swivel. Yeah, hips got honey. So it's time. You know what that means. It's time to be thrilled to be joining our third See, professor of Alaska Native Languages at the University of Alaska Southeast, the host of the podcast The Tongue Unbroken from Next The Next Up Initiative. Please welcome doctor Hune Lance twitch On.
Speaker 3: Hi, it's me. I'm the problem. I'm colonization. How's it going. It's so good to see you guy.
Speaker 1: It's good to have you back.
Speaker 3: You know, someone tried Ai with our thing. It language. There was no there's a reporter here in Juno for the Juno Empire, and so she had entered a short She wrote a short story and then she entered it into this thing that that had the Clinquet language as an option, and then she sent it to me. She said, could you just take a look at this and I said, well, those are words, but it's just grabbing words and just putting them at random, including my name, like my name was in the story like ten times. And so I said, wow, it's just complete gibberish. It makes no sense.
Speaker 2: So the computer like from it, from it trying to glean information about cling it that it found your name, and it's like, okay, so this must also be part of the mix. Yeah, yeah, and here we go, here's your story. Wait, how didn't you read what?
Speaker 1: It was?
Speaker 3: Truly out of order, just like yeah, salad. Yeah, there's a couple of words. But like one of the big problems is when you change a verb in our language is it changes a lot. And so to be able to man you could you could develop something that could manufacture stuff in our language, but you would have to spend a lot of hours. And so what it seems like it did is found a dictionary and just sort of grab words but never really looked at what they mean, I guess, And so it's just like here's a bunch of words, here's a word, salad, and that's your story.
Speaker 2: So you know, task complete. Yeah, I mean that's good to get to know that AI is still right now, it's only fucking up like English.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, and so, but it's probably coming for everything eventually. And so, but maybe maybe there's a world where you have someone to talk to. Because with our language, we have about forty people left who could speak, so it does get pretty scary. And we have a language north of us that's called Eyak that lost its last living bird speaker. And when she was the only speaker for quite a while, she would say, I talked to my TV, I talked to the walls. I talk to God, and nobody talks to me. So like what we're trying to do is like keep that from happening. So I started with a Taylor Swift take on a Taylor Swift song because I thought, maybe if we can get the Swifties and the Beehive on board with decolonization, right, like, they've got so much energy and commitment, and so I think maybe we'll get somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it definitely makes sense for Taylor Swift. I feel like she her career has gone from being just like ah shucks.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I guess I'm just kind of a good songwriter to like she We've like witnessed her waking up a little bit to the complexities of the modern world. So I don't know at least private Yeah, you know, which isn't isn't that?
Speaker 2: Yes, That's why I got those new albums Private Equities, because Taylor's version Baby Private Equity, all lines go back there.
Speaker 1: Even a bro clock you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah serious?
Speaker 1: All right, well who and we're going to get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, we're going to tell our listeners a couple of the things we're talking about. We got a couple like word doc length tweets truths from Donald Trump, just like freak outs, So we're going to talk about that. But the big thing we're going to talk about is we finally found undeniable evidence that we live in the matrix. This TikTok video of a person being frozen, like standing frozen for I'd say two seconds, and everyone's like, whoa impossible NPC right there. Yeah, but this is this is the whole wing of TikTok that we're going to cover, Like the glitch talk I think it's called, and just the idea that people now that everyone has phones like we are able to come into contact with glitches in the matrix all over the place, and it's proof that we're living in a simulation. And I will talk about that, we'll talk about why people want to believe that you might talk Avatar Whu Nay. You offered to give us a brief Indigenous review of the Avatar Cinematic Universe. So I'm excited for that.
Speaker 2: And I mean, just just to tease that, did you enjoy it?
Speaker 3: Well, I could do the whole thing right now, because it's it's really a two sentence review because you know, as as I thought about, I listened to you guys show all the time. It's awesome. Thanks for everything that you guys do. Thank you Indigenous people's I would say in North America, it depends on where you live. It might be like one out of every hundred people is indigenous. In Alaska is one out of every four, so we have about twenty five percent indigenous people. So you guys should have one out of every four guests on your show be Indigenous or somewhere in between there and one out of every hundred. So when Avatar two came out the water thing, I was like, oh, maybe they'll bring on an Indigenous person to give their perspective about Avatar, and I'll give you my perspective, and to be fair, I've never seen any of them. But here's my two sentence review of the first Avatar. One Indigenous people are not blue and two white people did not stop colonization. And so I think there's a bit of a fantasy world that we see quite a bit, Like it's kind of teased and dances with wolves and it's teased, and a lot of kind of Native American films that still center whiteness. It's like there's this sort of portrayal of colonization and white people like fighting against it, right, which did happen? But maybe that was like one out of every ten thousan yes.
Speaker 2: Right, something like that. Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, no, you'll get into it.
Speaker 3: No spoilers in my review though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh I'm going big spoilers.
Speaker 4: We're going deep.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so we'll talk about that plenty more. But before we get to any of that, Khune, doctor Twitchell, we do like to ask our guests, what is something from your search history that's revealing about who you are?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I was going through my search history and actually the one thing that I want to look at is how many Native American remains human remains are in museums and universities. Because I went to a training once on this law called NAGPRA, and NAGPRA is the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act, And so one of the things I think about is when you make a law, there's like some reason for it. And so there's a great quote by an author named Walter Echohawk who said, if you dig up graves, you go to jail, but if you dig up Native American graves, you get a PhD. And so, you know, I was thinking about this because I was at this training because NEKRA does two things. One it says you cannot dig up Native American graves, right and so low key. When the Queen of England passed away, I wasn't trying to be disrespectful, but I was thinking, are they going to send parts of her to kind of different colonized places because they have lots lots of our people in their museums and their stuff. But so it says you cannot dig up Native American graves. And the other thing that it says is if Native American people can identify something in a museum that belongs to them. There's they can get it back. It doesn't mean they will get it back, but they can get it back. And so that's the repatriation part. So I was at a training for this and our trainer said, and I don't know if he was accurate on this after I did some research, but it was still jaw dropping. He said, they're about two million Native Americans on the earth today, and this is in two thousand and six. He said, there are more Native American remains human remains in museums and universities than there are walking the earth today Jesus Christ. And so I'm not sure if that's the accurate thing, but I do know it's well over one hundred thousand people. And sometimes it's a brain and sometimes it's like a finger, or they would they would chop someone up and send them to different parts. Like there was someone who resisted people taking their land in the East Coast. He was called King Philip, and that was the English name that he was given, and he was chopped up and sent to like his head went to Boston and like his hands went somewhere. And so these are some things that I think about because We're always trying to get stuff back, and I'm always trying to let people know the depth of what colonization is, which is why decolonization is a thing to embrace. And one of those things is because it's a complete separation of people and humanity. And so I think for some people they'll say, well, these people are not humans, so we could do whatever we want to them because they're not Christian, they're not being saved by God, right. But the reality is, like I think people separated themselves from their concept of being human beings and humanity, and so decolonization reconnects the people, the descendants of the folks who were making those decisions to take everybody's stuff and keep them from speaking their languages and take their children and do all this other stuff. So it's not fun stuff to google. And so I'll give you like one more because someone send me a message said, do you guys feel the earthquake? I was like, well, I live in Alaska and that was a big earthquake, but it was nineteen hundred miles away, so it's about the distance from Los Angeles to New Orleans, and so would you feel about you know, so call someone in New Orleans say did you guys feel that earthquake? And I'd be like, no, bro, I was like just sitting here. And so Alaska's a big place.
Speaker 1: Is Alaska's fucking huge, isn't it? Like it's the biggest state by orders of magnitude. Yeah, like orders of magnitude. It's so much bigger than like Texas is way bigger than like my brain can possibly wrap itsself around with. Like I've driven through Texas. I've like like flown around Texas, like gone from one airport to the next, and it's like, oh, it's like an hour and a half flight. Like that's like going from you know, many states over and Texas like fits into a corner of Alaska. Alaska is that's Alaska on top of the United States. Yeah, it's like the entire Midwest.
Speaker 2: Like eight yeah, it is, right, Yeah, and almost all of Florida too. Yeah. If you actually extend it down, it's amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a big in So yeah, you can go nineteen hundred miles and you're still you know, like that's just air miles. Like if you just got in a little plane and just run for nineteen hundred miles, you could still be in Alaska.
Speaker 1: So do you have to be pretty comfortable with getting in little planes and flowing or do you do you do that?
Speaker 3: Well, my grandma she wouldn't, and so we'd have to. You know, we have a ferry system that goes through here that's become unreliable and unstable, but it's it's been wonderful because you could put your car onto the ferry and then you could go because where we live you can't. You got like forty miles of road here and that's or maybe sixty uh, but you you can go to the end of the road in four different spots and that's all you can really do. And so for some people that gets really tough for them. You can get a boat and then you could go somewhere. But we do have a ferry where you could put your car onto the boat and then you could drive out from Skagway or Hanes or go down into Canada. But small planes are a thing here, and they are they could be pretty scary. So one time I was living in Skagway and we had sixty mile an hour gus, you know, gusting up to eighty miles an hour. So I called the airline, I said, are you guys art flying today, are you? Because I'm supposed to go to this little town called Petersburg And they said, we're not, but these other guys are.
Speaker 1: They're pretty drunk.
Speaker 3: But I said why why and they said, well, oh no, it's it's no problem. Like our plane the wings are on the top, and they're plane the wings are on the bottom, so they could fly in higher winds. And I said, okay, I'll call them, and you know, they said, oh yeah, well we'll fly. And the wind was blown so hard that when that plane took off into the wind, it felt like the plane just went straight up in the air like a helicopter and then turned around and then we just got blown down to Juno, which usually takes an hour, but it took us about twenty five minutes.
Speaker 2: You just like lifted up and then rode the stream.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like very close to the ocean, like we fly over the ocean. It's wintertime. The ocean's probably about you know, forty degrees, so it was Yeah, it was an eye opening experience.
Speaker 1: Right, that's so cool. I'm very scared of small planes for for some reason, but I've been in like a couple of them, and it's they really move around the lot up there. Little planes are really Yeah, it turns out those things are really going up and down quite a bit.
Speaker 3: But yeah, and we got some that land right on the ocean right so the floatplanes are here. And so the one time I took a floatplane, I went to this village called Cassane, which has about forty sixty people. Amazing village. And so the first time I was going there, I flew to catch a can. So you take a larger plane to catch a can. And then I was going to get on the small floatplanes. And I get on and we take off and we get in the air and the pilot turns to me and he says, so where's Casan? And I said, hey, you're the pilot. Man, Like you are the pilot, you know you need to And he's like, is it over by this place or is it by that place? I was like, bro, I've never been like this is this is literally your job.
Speaker 1: It's just so much more casual. It's like an uber Yeah, And he says, how do you want me to go to Lax?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think I remember, And he nailed it, he got it, so, you know, good on him.
Speaker 2: I just love that kind of confidence. So too, you're up in the air. All right, So generally, where are we going right now? Okay? Okay, yeah, I got I gotta go, got it?
Speaker 1: You are the pilot. What is something do you think is overrated?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: So my overrated is using the term western in academics and arts to code whiteness. And so people people do this stuff like they'll say Western and Eastern, and this becomes the sort of one thing or the other that you use to talk to, Yeah, like you know, Western science and they'll say Western art or Western and use and it's it's tough to get Yeah, it's tough to get out of because for that if if there's Western and Eastern, then what about Africa and what about Native Americans? And what where do these things fit? And I think it's a way to sort of if we look at how colonization entrenches and normalizes certain things, it does it through these mechanisms to say, well, if it's not one of these things and it doesn't fit, and so it's something that we study instead of something that we it becomes foundational to our own education. And this is one of the reasons why I think people generally don't study indigenous peoples. Like, if you graduate high school, do you know the name of the people who lived where you were or where you are and they're still there? Do you know what their language is? You can you name five people who have done historically significant things who are indigenous to that particular place, you know? And I think about these things everywhere I go, you know. And so I think about this stuff as well, because colonization is forever dehumanizing indigenous peoples. And one time someone asked me for an example, I said, well, I went to a gathering of high school government leaders from across the state of Alaska. So these are probably high performing academic kids who are you know, they're young, and so it's not on them, but it is on their teachers, and it's more so on the system. So I showed him a picture of a guy named William Paul, and I said, can anybody here tell me who this person is? And there's about one hundred to one hundred and fifty people there, including teachers from all these different schools, and not a single person could tell me who that was. And I said, well, this is a clinket man named William Paul. It is Clinkett name was Shkundi, and he was the first Native America. He's the first Alaskan Native to become an attorney. He was the first Alaska Native to become a territorial legislator. As an attorney, he gained Alaska Natives the right to vote. And he also desegregated schools in Alaska in the nineteen twenties, and then he initiated land claims efforts. And I said, he did all of that stuff and nobody can usually tell me who he is. And I said, could you imagine going into a school in like Arkansas and putting up a picture of Martin Luther King and if one hundred people were there, nobody could tell you who it was. And I said, that's what dehumanization is. We don't get to be names and people and faces. We just get to be this conglomerate of a thing. And so I think if you start challenging yourself when you say western just like colonial, and then you might sort of say, well, that makes me uncomfortable, But then you might sort of push your brain towards something that has diversity so that you could say, oh, yeah, there's actually like a huge plurality of things, and it doesn't have to fit into these two boxes.
Speaker 2: Right, Like is Western just being code for the established colonial powers of Western Europe? And it's like, well, let's let's tighten that up so we don't put that much information. And yet to your point about Martin Luther King, I mean like I feel like that is the slow pace that like American society is kind of moving towards that I'd imagine there are people like I would love in fifty years to go into a room with one hundred people and I put this picture up and they don't know who that is, and yeah, yeah, that sort of really resonates with how quickly your history can just be disappeared like that in an instant, despite like the massive contributions of the people that people have made.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is what's something you think is underrated?
Speaker 3: So by underrated, there's a friend of mine named pat Race who floated this idea here in Juno and so it tax onto this idea of land back and language back initiatives, which I think are wonderful, Like if if city governments especially could just say, you know what, we've got some land here, let's give a certain percentage of our land base to the Native American tribe that's here. Let's just give it back to the Native peoples because there's no legal or rational claim to why people took land from Native Americans, you know. And so what are the difficulties with federal Indian law is Federal Indian law is basically born on this concept that they are not human beings, so they cannot own the land. So it's it's ours, you know. And plus you add concepts to that like manifest destiny, which is basically saying God sent us here to save these people, and by saving them, we're taking all of their stuff. That's that's what I mean by saving that, right, right. And so it's like if I came into your kitchen, it was just like loading up all your food into a bag and you're.
Speaker 2: Like what you hate?
Speaker 3: What are you doing? Like, well, I'm saving you. I am really, I'm helping you out here.
Speaker 2: You don't know how to use this like I do, so I'm saving you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you weren't even using this, so you weren't making use of it the way I envision how it should be used.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So one of the ways that this can can work is I don't think land back and language back should be just the burden of Indigenous peoples. And so this is going to be the really hard part. Is so let's say you have a property tax or you have a sales tax in your community, so you either raise it a bit or you just take a chunk of that and say this goes back towards land back and language back initiatives, which means when it reaches a certain point, we'll work with the local tribal leaders of the Native American tribe there and we will let them select a parcel of life and to purchase back, and we'll pay for it, and we'll say there you go. That's and we start accumulating a land base with Native American peoples. Because if we look at global warming, if we look at the climate crisis, if we look at pollution, if we look at all these other things, that there's two things that are really on a parallel. This is really kind of scary stuff at this particular time. The number of species that are going extinct or at such a high rate that we'll never know how many species that there are right now, but there'll always be less than there are right now. The same thing can be said with languages. We'll never there's about seven thousand languages, but will never actually know how many because they're going extinct at a rate faster than we could keep track of them. And so if we look at land back and language back, so the land back portions like take a chunk of money by land, give it to Native American peoples if you have land. For example, the town that I was born in, Skagway, Alaska, which we call Shuckwey, there's a chunk of land that the Catholic Church owned, and the Catholic Church had a Native American boarding school there. And a boarding school was a place where Native American children were sent, usually against their parents will, and they were forced to speak English, and they were beaten for speaking their own language, and they were usually punished, and their labor camps they weren't really given So in some places they were given a decent education, but a lot of places it was all about assimilation and killing off their own culture and language. So if the Catholic Church had a bit of a consciousness that was thinking about doing the greater good and thinking about what did we do in our history that has caused harm, they would have contacted the tribe and say we'd like to give you this land because it was a boarding school and maybe you could build a school on it that will help your language, right, But instead they struck a deal with the city to say we'll sell it to the city and the city will do it on the condition that the tribe can never put in a claim that they should have that land, right, And so they instead conspired to shut the tribe out. And so I think what cities should be doing is trying to find land that they could give to Native American tribes. Then I think they should be taxing the people who live there to help them buy land back and defund language revitalization programs, because everywhere you go in North America there's probably an endangered Native American language, and it's endangered because of colonization. So now everyone who benefits from that should be able to contribute something to the restoration of these languages and the land of peoples.
Speaker 2: It's wild, like you know, right now, I feel like there's so many there are these like parallel movements with like land back and language back and also talking about reparations. And I'd imagine the pushback is probably similar to like what you hear about reparations, just like why had nothing to do with that? So why do I need to And I mean, I get that the situation of what racism and chattel slavery is under black people has effects, but that had nothing to do with me. And I think that's just too much money for one person to get it. That's not fair, is that. I'd imagine those the same criticisms are levied at any you know, any kind of movement or you know, push to try and give any kind of land back or is it or are people just straight up just kind of being like wait, what for who?
Speaker 3: It kind of varies like it depends like that for some places you go, like you might have a certain number of the population that's kind of they kind of get it right. But one of the things I think that you were talking about a little earlier is how there is a push to just never look at this history right, so it's like basically out locked from textbooks. Like yeah, I could see a future probably in Florida where you say, you cannot say people took land from Native Americans, like that's illegal to put into a textbook, Like that's probably something that's coming and you cannot say slavery, and actually it shouldn't.
Speaker 2: Be kept reading this article, yeah, and.
Speaker 3: I was reading this article says well, you shouldn't say slavery, you should just say human trafficking, right, because even the term slavery has been just sort of numbed. It's just sort of number like, oh, yeah, there was there was slavery, you know. And so but one of the things, I think there's a push from people who don't want to examine these histories to call it like labor, right, they were laborers, and so yeah, as we look at reparations and we look at land back and we look at language back, it's it's difficult to push through people who who just want everything to maintain the way it is, because they say, I have the privilege, I have the power. I mean I consciously think of that, but why would I want to share? Because sharing, I think is definitely not an American value in terms of like if you go back to the forefathers or whatever that people like to talk about. I don't think that compassion and sharing and helping each other are true value. I think the values are really like taking and acquiring and securing your own and so one of the difficulties is if we don't sort of talk about that, then we have a difficult time talking about what the alternative could be, which is really to share. And it's sort of like going against a billionaire mentality. It's like, hey, you know, you've got like so much, maybe maybe you should just stop and then let other people get some. But it's it's too hungry.
Speaker 2: But it's precisely that thinking that is also the cause of so much discomfort that people aren't realizing either, is this disconnected is because we live in like the way that our values are reflected back to us is you get yours, and you get yours and fuck everybody else because you've got to get yours. And part of that is we feel so disconnected. We feel disconnected from we do, We feel disconnected from the places we live. Rather than realizing like the best times that if you feel like alive is truly like when you feel like you are connected to the people around you, to the community, you're into, the land you live on, all of the like all of those things come together. But yeah, we just like live and have such an antithetical mentality to that and still are just like, oh god, I hate this damn matrix.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, and it's the matrix, right, and it stuck. There's nothing we could do shut if we could have done something different. And I think another thing that's like a subsurface thing is like when we talk about declonization, we talk about reparations, and we talk about trying to make things a little bit closer to right. I think some people think, oh, now it's my turn for slavery. Oh now you're going to take my land, right, And now you've just been waiting to do this thing to me that I know in my brain my ancestors did to your ancestors. But it's really that's not the conversation. Like when we say decolonization, we're not talking about buying tickets for all the white people to leave. You know, we're talking about, right, We're talking about decentering whiteness to say, like, you know, there could be other things in the.
Speaker 2: Middle, right, And part of that and part of like healing not just for the people that have been on the shitty end of those transgressions, but for the transgressors, is to connect to that humanity and offer a hand and say, you know what, my batteries charged at one hundred percent y'all's is at like two percent. Let me give y'all forty percent, and then we can all kind of get to some level where we all feel that we're I don't know, at least helping each other. But yeah, I totally feel that.
Speaker 1: All right, should we take a break and come back and talk about how we're all living in the matrix? Hell yeah, bro, hell yeah brother, all right, we'll be right.
Speaker 4: Back, and we're back.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 1: You know, every once in a while, we like to look over at truth social just to see read the tea leaves. You don't even have to read the words. You just have to like kind of look at the sheer like tonnage of text that yeah, Trump is producing on truth and you like get the sense that, okay, the Richter scale in his brain indicates that an earthquake is coming and that an indictment might be on its way. So so we're picking up those signals. Yeah, some media I think, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's you gotta put your ear down. You got to see what's going on. We hear rumbling, you know, is it gonna be Georgia where the Fulton County da fani willis that grand jury investigation seems to be at the here's your indictment phase, so could be there. And it's been clear for the last couple of weeks that Trump has been freaking out over that specific investigation, considering that he went all the way to the Georgia Supreme Court to essentially like attempt to have Willis disqualified and then tried to prevent any of the evidence that was found in the grand jury report like being presented to a jury, like don't do it, don't let her do it, and nothing that she learned can't be presented to anyone during a trial. They luckily, the Supreme Court unanimously told him to eat fuck. So we have that. So now we are, you know, we're in the like we were seeing some late night truth social screams, rather this time this kind of came in the morning. But he's saying I'm getting indicted and it's not quite Georgia time. It sounds like Jack Smith has got another one for Trump, and this time for trying to subvert the twenty twenty election as we all saw. And I'm just we're just going off the sheer, like Jack said, the tonnage of this truth tweet or whatever truth that he is going to be indicted because he always has a freak out pre indictment, and rather than like just typing, I guess the character count was not set to like I'm so fucked, so he had to just export a PDF of a word document and upload that and it's so long. I don't even know where to start. I don't want to start.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 2: I'll just say, well, on Sunday night, wells with my family having just arrived from the Turney point of vanm Florida, where I saw straw poll. Like again, it's nonsense. He's talking about first paragraph, they love me in the polls, and then he finds out horrifying news for our country was given to me by my attorneys, the durained Jack Smith, the prosecutor for Joe Biden's jeep, blah blah blah, and it goes on for like this is only page one of the truth. I didn't even put the other fucking word doc that he posted. So he's freaking out. But again I don't know. I'm like, can one of these just fucking stick already? Because it almost feels like the more indictments he faces that somehow there's like a higher chance of him walking because like the sheer volume of is I don't know which woman to do. Man, It's like, these are all these indictments. Can't I just go home? But I don't know. That's what it feels like. When we just see more and more, it's like, yeah, okay, okay, and come on, let's get to the fucking find out phase please?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, more on that later if we get it. He did this, nobody cares, seems to be my concern. That's my concern, right that it's just like, but we've seen him walk before, And the more of these we hear about, the more normalized the fact that a former president and you know, the likely Republican nominee is is going to be indicted, Like the more that seems normal, But like, I don't think that's how the law works. Like I think, you know, he's gonna actually have to face.
Speaker 2: We're a victual charges. We're testing the very limits of whiteness with these indictments, That's what I do know. And we'll see what happens under this stress test if somehow his complexion will allow him to subvert elections, steal documents, uh and all those other things. Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I'll just say if I was the word truth, I'm just so pissed off right now.
Speaker 2: I would I would.
Speaker 3: I would sue his ass for just ruining my good name.
Speaker 2: Take a truth.
Speaker 3: Truth social really.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh see that's where we need, Like, wherever there's that citizens united case, words need to be people that can sue and also have a vote. Yeah, because I would love to see truth come around to be like, no, this is nonsense, but hey, this is It's a very well constructed grift by having your website be called truth. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And it's really interesting because like there's so much evidence and I think he even said before he was elected, like I could shoot somebody in the street and I would get away with it, right, And I kind of believe that, you know, just because he's white and he's a bill you know, a billionaire. He's a rich white person, and like they don't always come for them, and so but it's starting to stack up and it's starting, you know, it's not bad.
Speaker 1: For a long time, there was Yeah, there was an implied watch this after he said that, Yeah, right right, I could shoot someone and get away with it. Watch this. Watch what I'm about to get away with?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gonna be Yeah, it's again we're testing the limits of what his privilege can do. But I mean, that's why I'm hoping that these are like these aren't just like, oh, you dodged your taxes like some white collar crime. This is I don't know whatever. Again, I've seen this country do all kinds of wacky shit to preserve the status quo. So who knows, maybe we will see him get a favorable outcome here.
Speaker 1: It's a lot he's gonna need a lot of favorable outcomes. It seems to be the direction that.
Speaker 2: Well, he's already begging like the like the court and floor to be like, can we just like push my documents case to like I don't know, fucking never, like literally yeah, they're like, uh no, what do you mean? Like cause the judge Cannon was like, okay, we got a mid August date, and the DOJ came and said, you know what, let's give him four more months. We'll do it in December to try and preempt like it's too soon thing. And to that he was like, oh no. The lawyer's like it's just unprecedented. He's gonna be running for it has to be at least after the election or who knows, you know, if ever, but you know he's trying.
Speaker 1: It is interesting. I do feel like he is particularly vulnerable now because his entire career is built on him doing blatantly illegal stuff, just being like no, I won't pay you, then getting into legal battles with people and just dragging it out and like winning via pure shamelessness and being wealthy privileged enough to you know, outspend outspend the person. I feel like we're probably seeing something happen like where he seems as isolated from reality as probably he's ever been because he just spends his entire day getting his ass kicked by people who think he's somewhere between like a business genius and a like godhead messiah, right, And so I do feel like he's pretty vulnerable at this point, and like the the legal strategies that he's coming up with seemed to be things that are just like based I'm wishful thinking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or it's like that moment I remember, like when my mom would be like, you're gonna get pimples from eating so much sugar, because like I would break out a lot when I was a kid from eating like That's why my mom was like, have you been like sneaking a bunch of sugar? Because then I'm like, no, I don't know. And for a while I was able to eat a lot of sugar and not have my face break out. And I remember that moment happened. It was causing like I feel, I don't know if this is like Donald Trump. But then you're like, oh shit, I'm mortal to a much lesser degree and I'm just talking about my skin.
Speaker 1: An that's so funny. My dad thought soda caused his acne when he was in He.
Speaker 2: Was like like Boomer loom right, yea. Everyone was like, oh, you're gonna get pimples from sugar.
Speaker 1: Working at this grocery store when I was twelve and I got free soda pop and then like, you know, I got a bunch of acne because I was drinking too much soda.
Speaker 2: How old are you twelve? Okay? And then maybe that was around puberty.
Speaker 1: Also, no, no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: Puber what no Huber? Not that all right?
Speaker 1: Well, we like to feel like we're in control of our own breakouts, don't we. We like to think that it's, you know, something we're doing to cause it we like to feel like we're in control of our reality. Yeah, and there's a new trend trend on TikTok that is convinced that we're all living in the matrix. I watched these videos and immediately saw the appeal. So I am I am target demo for this. I'm like, hell, yes, this is what the Internet was built for. Feed me daddy.
Speaker 2: It's this this clip of a woman crossing a street looks like in the UK, and there's a moment where she just freeze frames in the middle of her stride.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I'm on board with this. Her ponytail seems to freeze in the air.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which to me, I would say reeks of doctored video, right, Like they froze the frame and then ken burns effect within that frame to make it look like there was camera movement impossible. I don't know. That's just me with my like production nerd hat on and I'm like, I see how you do this because like it. I get that there's a car that goes by in the foreground, which sort of like anchors this idea that this person has like mid stride been put on pause. But I don't know.
Speaker 1: She also does a weird thing with her step after where she like it looks like she was frozen, like she got like a Charlie horse or something. And then do you see what I mean? Like, yeah, yeah, she like kind of like does a weird like loping thing with her next step after the being frozen.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Or it's like you got your foot stuck in something. It kind of looks like you're regaining your balance after you got your foot stuck in something. You're like, yeah, just trying to balance yourself out. I don't know. Again to slitched out.
Speaker 1: Like this on the air, then Justin just has to edit around it where I just freeze for like thirty five to forty five minute.
Speaker 3: I've been on plenty of Zoom calls and I see people freeze all the time. So you know, what do you think is this? I think it's been confirmed. So I just want to write to the great coders who are out there programming the Matrix if you could just put more indigenous content in there, like just throw some of my language out there, just make it, you know, just alter this reality, because this reality is you know, I'm going to give it two thumbs down and just say, you know, we gotta do a little bit better on what we're experiencing in terms of indigenous peoples and colonization, Like so, can you just run the decolonization program, run, just take a winter key on that one, and then let's just try and see and let people freeze, let them freeze, let them, let them glitch out. As long as we're decolonizing, that's all I really care about. So in that case, you know, send send. I don't know what the Indigenous version of the Keanu Reeves character was.
Speaker 2: It neo neo could be.
Speaker 3: The people asked me sometimes how to translate this stuff, like how would you say the one? It's like, you know that like I'm not going to work in our language, you know, like you could just say yeah, weight take like the one. It doesn't work. It works good in English, right, So we had a lot of that, like single word concepts people say, like can you translate freedom? You know, and like, well, you know, like our concept of freedom is litally different, you know, because and so you got to have a lot of concepts of freedom, I think in America, because you've had a lot of slavery and you've had a lot of stealing of other people's stuff, and so I think freedom becomes this huge thing to live by. So to the coders, more indigenous stuff, just just.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have studio notes. Yeah exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, I mean it could be anything. It could be, you know, a neurological condition this person suffers from. Because the person says like they were frozen like that for a minute, that the walker could be doing a performance art thing, or most likely it's an intentional trick, or even more likely, it is proof that we live in the matrix and it's a glitch and everything is frozen. There's no way to know. But this is an entire genre of TikTok video that I'm now fascinated with. There's another one that went super viral where a plane appears to just be like frozen in mid air and the text on the video said, another plane flew past minutes before. So I know for a fact it didn't move.
Speaker 2: And that's proof because the person's text in the video exactly what the fuck? Okay, sure, because you said, so it's been like this for seven thousand years. Has it moved? Someone care to explain? Still there?
Speaker 1: And you can take that to the bank. Also, as we've already discussed, on this episode, Like sometimes a plane does just kind of hang out up there because the wind at that height is incredibly fast, and you know, you're like, the plane is going the equivalent of like three hundred miles per hour because the wind is like going against it at like two hundred and fifty miles per hour or whatever.
Speaker 2: Nah, jackets floating, come on, then try to throw water on this. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the simulation theory, which yeah, you know, this has been a thing in science fiction forever, but the one that has gotten popular recently where it's like, and I think I heard this before two thousands, because like the people credit it to the Oxford philosopher Nick Bostrom in the early two thousands, but I think it's been around for way before that. I mean, the matrix came out in the nineties, didn't.
Speaker 2: It isn't he also effect of altruism Bostrum.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Bostrom is also a right idea.
Speaker 2: This guy's an idea.
Speaker 1: And he's also like on Wax being just a straight up racist.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: Openly like saying the N word in an email race.
Speaker 2: It was a list Serve Jack from the list Sir that I think was his defense. He's like, it was not me, it was the list serve.
Speaker 1: So it's annoying that you know, an idea that it is fun to play with, the idea of that you're living in a simulation is goes back to this racist piece of shit. But it's it's also like, definitely, you know, a symptom of something like that, this is the reality that we choose to kind of or the model of reality that I think a lot of people are Like that actually makes sense to me. It makes sense to me if I just like started noticing like birds glitching out in mid air.
Speaker 2: Because.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I must live in a computer simulation there and therefore because I just I think people feel isolated, yeah, from their reality, from the system that.
Speaker 2: Hey, teenage assholes, teenage assholes on TikTok. It's not a fucking simulation. You're just experiencing the fucking ills of capitalism destroying everything around you. Okay, Like you think of like the nature of the fucking quote what work is right, Most people do not have the benefit of doing work that is connected to something they fucking give a fuck about, or even making something that they feel is meaningful that or does good in the world, like I mean, few people have that benefit as they toil or work or whatever you want to fucking call it, and because of that, we feel isolated as shit. We feel like cogs in a machine or in the case of the matrix, those little fucking battery cells that everybody's in individualized where your whole purpose as life forms is to generate energy or capital for larger system. So I totally get why you saw the matrix once and now you're like, this explains what I'm living now, and it must be the matrix, rather than trying to actually begin to break out of this fucking frigid paradigm of like what we consider work or freedom or what we like how we even live, because we can't live in a normal way, Like we can't just enjoy the world around us. We don't have leisure because everything is fucking private property, or you need money just to fucking afford to live or have medical care or breathe air basically, so it's dystopian, And of course people want to find a way to break out of the simulation. But the answer seems pretty simple here, like, especially when you hear people investing money into being like, figure out how we break out of this simulation. I'm a billionaire. What what? Yeah? No, no, come on, fam, that ain't it.
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: There are evidence that people are pointing to a bird crossing the skyline but its wings are turned down. There's one where they're like, look at these sheep. They've been standing completely still for like an hour. It's like as opposed to what but they like playing music over it?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: I kept playing cards?
Speaker 2: Aren't they like? Aren't they playing Nintendo Switch?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 2: That ship looks so boring? Fam, you know what's wild? I'm I fell victim to that because I asked on Twitter because I there is like a person with like a horse nearby, and I see like this horse just like chilling, you know, like all day by by themselves, and I was like, damn, that shit kind of fucked up, And I asked on Twitter. I'm like, yo, do horses get bored? Please let me know, because I don't know this fucking people like, No, they're they're fine, They're good here. Yeah, but again that does play on my version of like they're as smart as me, and you would be so bored and you probably want to know what's happening on TV and I should be telling you. Oh, it sucks to be a horse.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: There's also a trend on glitch talk with people being like someone's stealing my utensils. I'm down to one fork. I just found a haven the cup even though I only bought a set of six.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, they never come for the butter knives. I'll just say that, like you butter knives actually multiply.
Speaker 1: Thirty.
Speaker 3: I got thirty, I got four forks, six spoons.
Speaker 2: Do you own currently own a butter knife? Just a quick check of the room, does it people still own like that? Like very specific, like flat, like it almost looks like a little butter knife.
Speaker 1: I just can't water the knife, like the one that cut that I put out at dinner when we're setting the table, a butter knife.
Speaker 3: Like when you get a silver ware set, it comes with like a little fork, big fork, the knife, big spoon, and then the knife the butter knife thing. Yeah, wait, what's the butter knife?
Speaker 2: What do you call the.
Speaker 1: Knife that has the little it's like smooth at the top and.
Speaker 2: Hold on, what's a knife?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: Hold on? A butter knife? What the fuck? Oh wait, you just meaning the one that has like like a round, more rounded edge at the end, it's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's got like little ridges. You can't really.
Speaker 2: But like I think about like the first set that most young people have, which is like that Ikea. Fucking you buy that whole silver war set of Ikea that doesn't have a rounded edge.
Speaker 3: Is it sharp? Is it cut?
Speaker 2: I mean you can't stab with it, but like you can cut chicken and like with it. I wouldn't you know, And like maybe tender other tender meats.
Speaker 3: Yeah they got yeah, they got some. That's some serious silverware, I think, because like what I get, like you get like a butter knife. It can't cut butter, right, maybe you could cut some bread. You're gonna saw that bread up, You're gonna kay.
Speaker 2: So that's what I'm thinking. Like this one here, like the most they call it, I guess a spreader. That makes sense because it got that big flat yeah, big tip on.
Speaker 3: The end, oh for like your fish spread. But you were calling this a butter knife, that's that's a butter knife.
Speaker 1: That is what Google is calling a Oh it's calling it a inner.
Speaker 3: Knife, an inner knife, Get out of town.
Speaker 1: You call it a dinner knife, Miles, I don't even know in my mind a butter knife Okay, here's the other thing. What is the one that I call a butter knife to you in your head? What is the word?
Speaker 2: What is this? That's just like a shitty dinner knife sty dinner knife? Yeah, because like it ain't steak, you know what I mean? Like, yeah, that's always had just it was meant to spread and like that's just like if you need to cut some shit. Oh and the other reason I'll tell you is in Japan, like when you buy like a like a container of like soft butter, it's like built for you to put a little butter knife in. So like a lot of Japanese homes have like a butter specific butter spreader. Mm hmm. But again that's I'm like, are we here to even this whole fucking matrix thing? But came in It was a definition of a spreader versus a knife.
Speaker 3: Okay between the three of us, yeah, we may have figured this out.
Speaker 1: Yeah okay, well I would even throw the different colored dresses and the green needle space whatever into the thing where it feels like that was when those two things happened, everyone was like we live in the matrix, like this is glitching out. How do you see a black and blue dress, I see yellow and white. So I don't know, I find this stuff interesting. I mean, yeah, I don't think it means we live in a simulation.
Speaker 2: No, I think it's just it's only a sign that people are are, you know, becoming more aware of the disconnect that they feel, and they're just trying to make sense of it, and they lack the vocabulary or tools to like articulate it in a way that makes sense. And all we have are fucking movies and Elon Musk tweets for a certain generation. So when he starts, when everybody's aboutetting red pilled and shit, they're like, yeah, dude, that shit's real good. I don't know, Like, who know what do you think of? Like, I feel like this is all part of, like in the last times you've come on to to talk about how disconnected we are, especially from like where we live and our surroundings, and like how that's part of like being able to like in a way make a step towards like decolonizing the way we live. Because I feel like this is this is like this is a perfect example of how we've completely colonized our own minds into thinking this is the one way that society and the economy can function.
Speaker 1: That is a great question, Miles. And let's hold that thought and we'll take a quick break and we'll carry it back and we're back, and so do I repeat that question?
Speaker 2: Yeah? But like I was saying, no, like, and I think if you didn't just skip ahead, the point being is I think there's there's a lot of like you've you've spent a lot of facts every time you've come on, but that have really made me think about how much the way that we this like our societies were built in this country was built, how much it affects us now, how much it poisons us now to the point that we have no connection to each other, community, to land, and things like that. I'm do you see this as part and parcel of that disconnect or is there is there another way you're looking at it? Well?
Speaker 3: So, I guess I think of a couple of things. One is, when I was going to school in Hawaii, I was living with one of my teachers named Larry Kimura, who we call him the godfather of the Hawaiian language movement. He's just he's an amazing person, and at one point he was just he kind of started going off about these people wearing these shirts that say Aloha Aina, which is like love the land. And he says, you love the land, show me your fingers you got you got dirt underneath your fingernails. Have you been out working in the land. You've been digging, You've been planting stuff, You've been doing stuff. And so for me, I think, if if the world starts glitching out, go out on the land, right, just go go see what's out there, and and go get your hands dirty. And then I also sometimes I have theories that maybe people don't want to hear. So I was in a class on American literature and the theme of the class was paranoia and that this sort of culminating moment in the class. This was for an MFA and creative writing, and the teachers who was really he was a great guy, and he said, well, why do you guys think there's so much paranoia in American literature? And this person had an answer, and that person had an answer, and that person had an answer, and I raised my hand I said, well, I think it's because America stole everything from Native American people's and they're just kind of waiting for their comeup.
Speaker 1: Ins.
Speaker 3: And I also think that it's you can really geek out on sci fi theories and stuff, so you don't have to assume that your ancestors did something really horrible. And so I think if people say, no, this is all part of this larger program that we have no control of, I think it's another system to avoid doing the work that it's going to take to sort of start moving towards a sense of equity which is totally attainable, which is totally possible. But I think colonizations sets up all of these mechanisms like either like it's it's already in place, it's too late to do anything, it's this thing or that thing, or the limitlessness of resource extraction and the absolute limit of budgets and time and energy, right, and so it just sort of gets you trapped into these systems. So for me, I'm always, you know, I'm always paranoid that something is racism, and I'm always paranoid that something is colonization. And I'm usually right, but I'll also say, you know, so that's my matrix that I'm stuck in, you know. So sometimes I'll be dealing with something I was like, is this a colonization thing, or is this a race? Like am I getting Am I getting treated different because of you know, my name or because of who I am or how I look? Are my kids being treated different? And so I'm always sort of I'm paranoid myself, right, But I'm also I have it, you know, I don't have TikTok channel for it, but I've been right quite a few times with this kind of stuff. So for me, I think it's fascinating and it's neat to look at, and like I have friends who've seen UFOs, and I have friends who've seen we have our own monsters here that live in the woods. We went camping last weekend and it's fun. It's it's a blast. Like we're in Alaska. You can just walk out your door and you're in the wilderness. But that means, you know, the dog starts barking. You're cooking some delicious dinner out in the middle of nowhere in the dark. Well it's not in the Milan Nore but far from you know, a hospital. Yeah, and the dog's barking and looking down the trail and you're like, grab all the food, get in the cabin, you know, because there's probably, you know, like we respect the grizzly bear so much that we got two names. Like so hoots is what we would call it, so it means brown bear, and we say it's eke for black bear. But the brown bear is the one that's it owns the forest and we know that. But when we're out in the forest, we say yet see neat, which means a living thing. So we don't even say its name when we're out there, because we're like, you say it's name, it's going to be like you talk, yeah, call me. Wait, you're in my house. And so we talk to them before we go into the woods, and we sort of live this life that's pretty connected to the natural world. So I think the other thing too, is there's a fascination with an artificial world because there's a prescribed disconnect with the natural world in order to maintain a sense of colonization and economics the way that it's required today, like you have to be separate from it to say, yeah, cut all the trees down, yeah, like kill off all those buffalo you know, like this these mountain lions scare me, so just murder them, right, and so, but in order to do that, you have to remove yourself, which you know, Christianity kind of did that already. It's like man has domain of everything, including women, right, and it just creates tons and tons of problems because I think human beings and especially we just narrow it down to one gender, don't have enough skills and ability to like manage the universe. It's sort of like, actually, you should just be in the universe and figure out how you're part of that, because you're not. You're in the food chain, you're you're in You're in all these circles, you're in all these cycles, and what you do affect all of these things. And so I like the conversations. I think it's fun. I think it's fun to watch this stuff. You're like, oh, yeah, that is weird and that's pretty cool. But you can also zoom in on your iPhone. It starts to get pretty grainy, and then it's probably pretty easy when you got.
Speaker 1: To share his camraigns in my house, what the fun I think? I mean, I think that kind of ties nicely into just you know, if you have any additional thoughts on Avatar, but like the reality of you know, what we're doing to the world and other humans and the history of what you know, white people have done to the world and other human beings is maybe too uncomfortable for some people to take in and they want to create an artificial reality. In the case of the Matrix, it's like just coming coming up with a system of belief that like we are in an unofficial reality. But in the case of Avatar, it's like creating an unofficial, like an artificial reality that you can go live in for a couple hours that also like rewrites that history where you get to like be on the good guy side, on the on the side of the victimize the people being victimized by colonialism. Like I do think Avatar is really interesting just as a phenomenon, because I don't, like, I can't think of another cultural, pop cultural thing that was that is as successful as that those movies when they're happening and then as completely embarrassing the second they stop happening, Like like it happened once with the first Avatar and everyone's like, man, that was weird, and like Avatar was like a punchline. But then they did again, like you brought you brought Avatar two out, and every everyone went to fucking see that one too, and like they are the two of the three most top grossing movies of all time, but like nobody would put a movie poster of that movie up except ironically, And so I don't know, I think there's like a weird disconnect. And then we also have the thing where like people were experiencing depression after they came out of the movie because they couldn't just like experience that reality around the clock. So it's definitely filling a need that people have, but one that is disconnected from their mind in a way that like makes it unique where they can't like kind of incorporate it into their lives the way they can a Star Wars or something like that, where they make it part of their personality. Like it just feels like Avatar is this thing that is an experience. The then you like try not to think about when when you're not at an Avatar movie or something. But yeah, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on Avatar.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I think largely there's this fascination with white savior films, you know, and so dances with wolves. What was the one dangerous something whether there's like a white school teacher who goes into dangerous minds. Yeah, a black neighborhood, and you know, and and like, there are certainly stories of people who come in and embrace community and become part of it and become something different and do fight racism and fight colonization, you know, but it's it's very rare, especially when they like they win or something. And so I started to think about this stuff quite a bit. And then there's a film called Real Engines which is spelled r e E l I n j u n s, which is a documentary on the history of Native Americans and film, and it kind of goes through a number of different sort of scenarios and at one point it talks about all these different white actors who have played Native Americans, and so there's a growing list of you know, well, you know, there's quite a few of them who have played Native Americans. And then you also just get really interesting things like there's a guy I think his name was Ironized Cody or Cody Ironized, I can never remember which way it goes, but he played so many Native Americans and films that he full on believed he was Native American when he died. And to some extent, I think his children do as well, and so like he can assume this entire identity. And so I think there's a fascination with that to think about what if there was something different. But then there's a disconnect as well, because you don't really see that embraced in people's reality, because if they come out of like, let's say they came out of Avatar and said, whoa like, I should learn an indigenous language, and I should go contribute to a land back initiative, and I should actually do something that's embracing decolonization. Because the film, you could argue, is about decolonization, right, it's a totally fictionalized decolonization, and so you could like if it translated into real action, that would be more interesting to me than just sort of saying, well, you know, it's a nice fantasy to say, oh, yeah, well, what if we had actually done something a lot more humane instead of taking everything from everybody? Because if you look at some things, like we talked a bit about the Supreme Court, who is all kinds of fucked up, like just the types of things that they're doing, these decisions are horrible and they're just destructive for movements towards equity, but the one thing they couldn't do is dismantle the Indian Child Welfare Act, you know. And so the reason why the Indian Child Welfare Act exists is because in the mid to late nineteen seventies, one out of every four Native American children were removed from their homes and placed with white families. In addition, one out of every four Native American women were sterilized without their full consents. Like this kind of stuff was still happening, and so the removal of people and so like the other thing, I think there's a fascination with the idea that colonization had an endpoint or it had like we're in this post colonial sort of world, which we're not, and we could be, but it requires a consciousness that's going to move you beyond going to a movie for two or three hours and completely immersing yourself in this other idea and just saying, actually, we can have a reality that is kind of close to the Avatar universe, which you know, I'm not opposed to that reality, but what I'm opposed to is the idea that it exists, or that going to the movie is somehow enough.
Speaker 2: Right, right, Yeah, Yeah, it's funny too, because it like to your point, if you're not coming out of the movie being like, wow, we got work to do, then really, then I don't know how good it's doing because most people come out of that movie and be like, why is it Pandora Real? Why can't you go? So the message was maybe like secondary or tertiary to like the Wow, isn't this shit fucking cool? Anyway? Like then there's like some other shit happens to these blue people whatever.
Speaker 1: I came out and inspired to be seven foot six because that does help with balance, it turns out, yeah, and too well, who knows such a pleasure having you back on the show. Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well, I have a podcast called The Tongue Unbroken and season two is launching in November, so we're going to launch during the start of the Native American Heritage Month. And the Next Up Initiative is fabulous and I really encourage you to just go check it out. It's the Next Up Initiative with the iHeartRadio and look at the current this whole new generation of Next Up Initiative folks who are coming out and I'm really excited to hear their podcasts and to be a part of this movement where we're trying to find voices in the margins and pull them closer to the center so you can find me. I'm sometimes on Facebook, sometimes on Twitter, although Twitter has gotten a lot less interesting as.
Speaker 1: They would have to be.
Speaker 3: Oh, you know, this billionaire bought it and like h and now his tweets just keep popping up, like you know, and so I tried to mute one of his tweets and says, this will make Twitter a better experience for you, and I was like, it will actually make Twitter a better experience for everybody if we saw a lot less of that voice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been.
Speaker 1: Getting a lot of AI ads that are just like really insulted, like here, I just screenshok. One crazy thing happened with askdata dot co today, still in shock. I was troubleshooting with a customer on zoom and you'd just gotten his person and it's like keep reading meat day to get it done. And it's like a promoted post for fucking some bullshit. They're all over the place. Anyways, I'm glad I interrupted for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The other thing I really want to promote is just indigenous language revitalization. So if you're not familiar with what the Hawaiian Language Movement day is, or a Jibwe or a Mohawk or the sale is of Spokane, go look at what they're doing. Like it's very possible. So on the Tongue Unbroken, we like to talk about how do you do it? How do you take these steps? If you have a thousand speakers left, if you have ten speakers left, if you have no speakers left of your indigenous language? What kind of steps could you possibly take? And we like to invasion a world where we dream the impossible dream and we get back to a place of strength, which takes action, which takes courage, which takes determination, and also takes a ton of self analysis. Like colonization isn't just about people creating a bunch of harm to people. It's like also the indigenous people internalizing that harm and then hurting each other, which we we got a lot of work to do with that as well.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 1: Is there a work of media social media that you've been enjoying?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there's two. There's one that's really just funny where there was a girl who gets in a car on Instagram and says like, I worked ten hours. All I want is Wingstop fucking drive hurt.
Speaker 1: I mean, we get the audio real quick of that, he said, I'm the email, let's watch it just comes in, enters the car on but it's a mass and this guy like puts it to a metal song and it's it's a brilliant piece of social media.
Speaker 2: Yeah, stop fucking drive.
Speaker 1: Her phone are dying in the background and they're like, yo, we just picked her up.
Speaker 3: It's just such a brilliant mashup. And then I think the second one was on TikTok. There's a Maori just a wonderful explanation of what decolonization is and isn't because a lot of people they get really scared of that word. But I think we don't need to be scared of that word. I think we need to understand what people are saying. And it's not the removal of whiteness. It's not going back to some pre contact state. Because sometimes when we talk about decolonization, people are like, well, and give me the keys to your car and your fucking phone, right, And it's like, no, that's not what we're talking about. Like, it's a lot more complex than that, and I think this clip explains it really well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, colonization is lists about returning to a pre colonial societ and more about recognizing that we live under a colonial system, that things are the way they are not by accident, but because a particular ideology has systematically erased others while normalizing itself. Once something is normalized, it's hard to imagine anything else.
Speaker 1: We become confined.
Speaker 6: Within that particular ideology, and then the mindset of hmm, it's always been this way starts to creep in, and then the origins of the colonizers, which in our case was a very violent one, can be forgotten. We start sweeping things under the rug, and that's why many people are confused by things like the Maldi Health Authority and even Ewie settlements. And so when we're able to recognize these structures through what will be a never ending process of decolonization, it helps us move forward towards a society which doesn't just straw inspiration from a diversity of spaces, but is also self aware.
Speaker 1: Boom boom, awesome, amazing, Thank you, Miles. Where can people find you? What is the work media you be enjoying?
Speaker 2: Just Miles of gray where they got at symbols don't really have anything. I've been watching. I haven't been on the Internet's Media's much later. Oh y'all just say hey, my new podcast actually talk about that The Good Thief about the Greek robin hood Vasilis Palio Costas. It's really dope. Episode two comes out today. Thank you so much for everybody that's been listening, And if you haven't, I'm telling you, I'm killing it on this podcast. The sound design is amazing, the production team is killing it, and this is like a really easy listen. So if you could support it would mean a lot. But yeah, then that you know where to find me. Yeah, find me on our basketball podcast Miles and Jack got Mad Boosts and also talking ninety day Fiance with Sophia Alexander on four to twenty day Fiance.
Speaker 1: All Right, you can find me on Twitter. Jack Underscore, Obrian Yeah tweet, I've been enjoying David Underscore, Jay Underscore, Roth tweeted. My father in law is watching a YouTube channel where a guy searches for and sometimes finds old silver dimes. This catchphrase is it's time time. As far as I'm concerned, my father in law is the only person using YouTube properly. I would crossed into that.
Speaker 2: Yea there, and then.
Speaker 1: Bergs At a serious man tweeted, I hate when I grab a live wire and everyone sees my damn skeleton. You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O Brian, you can find us on Twitter at Daily Zekeeist. We're at the Daily Zeikeeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fanpage and a website, Daily zekeeist dot com. When we post our episodes and I are a footnote, we link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as the song that we think you might enjoy. Well's their song that you think here, well you might enjoy.
Speaker 3: I think we're gonna go out on this track by sd NAC.
Speaker 2: E st Ee and Ack, just some good old fashioned head nod wrap for you, hearkening the times of Golden era and Golden era hip hop of New York. This this track called expert Slope thousand, two thousand, two thousand, not Pouba though, but yeah, this is just like a dope track. And you know, for you you sample heads out there, this is like such a I'm getting into production Lingo and I can already hear Marcella make you fun of me. But this sample is chopped up so wacky that it just has like its own swing to it that it's really dope. And I just want to put a bubble jacket on smoke a blunt to stare. Well. So anyway, this Expert Slopes by Estein Nap.
Speaker 1: All right, well, we'll link off to that in the footnotes. Today ZE is the production of My Heart Radio. For more podcasts from My Heart Radio, visit the Heart Radio w ap Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That is gonna do it for us this morning, back this afternoon to tell you what's trending, and we'll talk to y'all then Bye bye the cheese