Speaker 1: Native lampod is a production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Reason Choice Media. All right, what's up, everybody, it's your favorite podcast, Native Lampard and I'm Andrew Gillam sharing this wonderful stage with my beautiful co host Angela Rye. Butcari Sellers. Angela Rye, Oh again, two of you're such a big personality, a tivity Cross. Do it over?
Speaker 2: No, we're not doing it.
Speaker 3: We're not doing it over because at dinner last week, I want you to know, Tiffany Cross looked me dead in the face, dead in the face.
Speaker 2: You said, Andrew, what you ordered? What you order? You know, we're not doing it over, you know.
Speaker 4: Like this, And I was like, what's the problem. I didn't even realize, I said, he flipped me off, y'all.
Speaker 5: And listening, she flicked everybody off.
Speaker 1: Just in that case, we will not be doing your introductions over. But this is episode one and four and I I am here with TeV Bacari and Angela Raie and we're happy to be with you as we recount the days of passing future. And more importantly, we've got some I think some great content coming up, y'all. What's on your mind, Angela, tiff.
Speaker 3: Well, for me, I mean I just think that that Democrats had an amazing week. I mean, you can't count a race that Democrats lost in the elections. But what are the lessons that we take from them?
Speaker 2: Can you repeat them?
Speaker 3: I think my answers no, but we'll see what happened ansteresting what you got.
Speaker 5: I also want to talk elections.
Speaker 6: I had the opportunity this week to sit down with our vice president. My vice president still because I don't know about this new one, Kamala Harris, she toured to Seattle in the Pacific Northwest. So happy to highlight that briefly and whatever else y'all want to talk about.
Speaker 1: I'm ready for That was big news, and we're gonna hit that more. We're not gonna glance so that, Tiffany, what do you have landing the plane?
Speaker 4: I'm really excited to talk to our guests. We have a guest today, Karine Jean Pierre, who had the privilege of being the first black woman and takes the podium at the White House doing those daily press briefings. So I have a lot of questions for her, but also excited to hear from you. Listening at home and watching at home. We have a couple of viewer questions that I'm excited to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too, I'm excited about those your questions as well. One of them I think a little bit refreshing, off topic, different topic, rather but important. Nonetheless, those sound good, y'all. So let's get into this thing, all right, y'all. We tell you at the top of the show that we're gonna have a very very special guest. And here she is, indeed the history making first time African American woman to serve as Press secretary, the voice, the representative voice on a daily basis, coming into your homes and radio and wherever else she can pour it into. On behalf of the President of the United States, Joe Biden. I think got her start in the White House under President Barack Obama, and now Miss Jean Pierre is a published author. I met her back when during her days that move on, I think it was, and then and then organizing days when we all work together, and now we are a privileged, privileged, privileged to welcome you to this platform. Native Lampard, Welcome Karine Jean Pierre, Thank you so much.
Speaker 7: Hello, Hi everybody, Thank you for having me, and congratulations on the expansion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we we have added a fighter ever since she joined us, you know, having us in fights.
Speaker 3: No, I just think I think I think she was using an expansion with just the most positive, positive tone.
Speaker 1: Pos Your season is not over here exactly.
Speaker 3: I mean, we literally won elections last night because of my addition.
Speaker 2: But we'll talk about that.
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you, Jesus, Thank you Jesus.
Speaker 5: Now we went from Beyonce Jesus.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, we are. But in case you forget, his name is Bacar, you can always call him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's what he saw this. He was the Beyonce of the crew.
Speaker 2: Listen, we're here now, we're here now with great success.
Speaker 7: Is that so you're talking about like the jealousy on you.
Speaker 2: You know what, we can have a whole episode about this, you understand. Thank you.
Speaker 6: Finally somebody that you know, I didn't expect that the first black woman press secretary we joined the podcast with missing disinformation.
Speaker 1: It's least not a press secretary that was that wasn't working for trumpsation.
Speaker 8: That's right.
Speaker 4: I'm just trying. I'm just trying.
Speaker 5: We got some questions, We got some questions. Force.
Speaker 4: We know you have a business schedule.
Speaker 5: We want to hop right into this interview.
Speaker 1: Andrew, I know you want to us well what I want to let you and the throes of it all, because I know you've done a million interviews and led a million and all kinds. I'm very curious in the book touring experience up to this point, what are you most surprised has not been dug further into that you thought when writing you'd be able to eliminate more attention.
Speaker 7: That's such a good question because yes, I talk about a particular period of time during last year, which you know, which I talk about in a very personal way. Yes, I make a big announcement about my political affiliation. But there is a chapter about black women called Sisterhood. By the way, I mentioned Angela isn't in there, and I talk about the state of the people and everything that she's doing there and when with black women. So I have a chapter called Sisterhood on black women. It's like my love letter to black women and everything that we have done for the party, for this country, for our community. And I talk about Australia Chisom, I talk about some of the most impressive heroic black women over a time that have opened the doors for all of us. I have a chapter of misinformation disinformation, I have a chapter on the media, and a good part of the book is really how to move forward. And there is a misconception I am not telling people to not get involved. I'm actually trying to push people to get involved. And the way that I'm trying to it's nuanced, and I know people don't like nuances nowadays, but the book is very nuanced.
Speaker 8: What I'm pushing for is.
Speaker 7: To people to be independent thinkers and to think about the moment that we're in differently. Because there's misinformation, because we have to fact check, because everything is sitting on us as private citizens who should be engaged in our civic process to get it right, to make sure that we are educated in a way that we are able to make decisions. And so right now in this moment, it is very difficult. The political discourse is such that it's hard to break through. It's hard to get information. And one of the things that I have been doing on this book tour is talking to young people, and they've been tough conversations. Don't get me wrong, young people, I don't think we give young people credit enough because they are paying attention and they're very aware of what's going on in this moment. Their thing is their disillusion and don't know how to like how to really move through this moment that we're in. And my message to them is find find it, get involved, And I actually really want them to run or get involved in the electoral process because we need their voices now because we have to. We're gonna have to rebuild everything that's been undone, and we can't rebuild it the same way. So there's this other message of how do we reimagine.
Speaker 8: The future for all of us.
Speaker 7: So those are the pieces that I was hoping that I can talk about, but it just varies. It just obviously that's not what people want to hear or where it goes.
Speaker 1: Well, certainly that's not that's not where.
Speaker 7: The interview interviews with the interviews, not with people out there.
Speaker 1: In the world right right right what there was a lot said and a lot a lot that's been interesting, and very rarely do we get to hear really directly in such quick order after an administration some of the inside and so I know you, I know you can imagine why folks are are more curious about certain pieces others I know, And so I'm going to yield the Florida some of my more my more curious colleagues and and we'll have a conversation. Angela, I think you uh teat up.
Speaker 6: I wanted to touch base just on elections. So this week there was a very consequential election in states that some folks would find surprising, Mississippi, from Mississippi to Virginia. I know that Virginia in particular was a nail bier for a lot of people who do organizing work on the ground.
Speaker 5: And I wonder how.
Speaker 6: You feel these are election results square with your perspective. There are a number of people who are saying, you know, this doesn't mean anything about the Democratic Party, that people just want the opposite of whatever's in now, and they wanted to make that statement. There are others who say this shows that the Democratic Party is going in the right direction. That doesn't necessarily square with your book. There are a lot of folks. Even on our podcast, we were asked what political party affiliation we all have, and I think at least three of us said we vote Democratic, but right now are feeling a little more independent minded it's not because of how Joe Biden was treated.
Speaker 5: And so I wonder from.
Speaker 6: You, you know how you think that these election results square with the premise of your book and where you think the country is going.
Speaker 7: It's so funny because I I'm so glad you asked that question, because I've been thinking about that, right. I've been looking at the results from up and down obviously across the country and up and down the East Coast, and look, I think what is important here is that people are coming out. They're making their voice very loud and clear, and I think both can be true in what you just stated, and what I mean by that is, I think folks have been so disillusioned with the Democratic Party that they went into their community, they find other ways to get involved, and they are feeling as if they felt as if, Okay, I'm going to use my voice and I know there's important local election here and I'm going to get involved in That doesn't mean that they are not disillusioned and didn't look what was happening on the national level and didn't think, Okay, that's not happening there. I'm going to do it here. And I do think for Democratic Party more broadly. There is an opportunity here. There's an opportunity with the wins from last night, there's a lesson to be learned. You had Mum Donnie, who is a Democratic socialist, who showed I think a way I haven't seen what he's been able to do in a long time, in a long time. When he participated in the Democratic primary, nobody knew who he was, and he built a grassroots organization. He went out to the subways to people and talked to them directly, and young people got involved, and young people were like, you know what, I like this guy, and they got involved in they voted for him in a primary in an off year election. And I do think the way that the Democratic leadership responded to him that only hurts us. And I'm not saying and I'm not talking about his politics or his policies. I'm talking about the way that he was able to excite and expire and that's something that Democrats can learn from, the leadership can learn from. And so I think it was a misstep that they did that. But on the other hand, you look at New Jersey and you have the a CIA agent who wins, and so I think that shows the diversity of the party. I think it shows that it is important that we continue, for me, continue to talk to how you can be independent thinkers and get results and that and that was one of the things that made me really upset with the party. It's a big tent party for a reason. It's a big tent party because we're supposed to have different voices. We're not supposed to all agree with each other. That's what makes it interesting. But we have values that matter to all of us. And so when you start shrinking that big tent, then people want to not they don't feel like they're being represented. And that's what I was seeing in the beginning of this year. I didn't see any fight. I heard, you know, like talking points pull tested talking points about you know, throwing certain people in the party under the bus. That was a problem for me, you know, and so I wanted to see more from the party, and I was hearing from people that I would go to the supermarket, I would go to the airport. That felt as if they were being left out of the conversation, as felt as if the leadership was letting them down.
Speaker 5: Thank you Korean.
Speaker 6: I just in this one quick follow up it is that in this you brought up Mmdannie Chuck Schumer didn't endorse Mamdani. Joe Biden, I think was silent on most of the races. And so I'm curious even as you're saying like this, there's this more independent free thinking that you're wanting to gravitate towards, but you're still saying we right like You're like, I know, So I'm curious where are you where you find your politics now in this big ten and maybe now outside of this tent, where do you find yourself aligned?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 5: And then where where is that home? Is there a home?
Speaker 6: Certainly you're welcome home on Native Lampid, but aside from that, you know, where is that home for you?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 7: So look, I mean a couple of things I have said in the book, and I've said this out loud, which is I'm aligned with the Democratic Party. That is not that is not changed. I wanted to start a conversation and I'm using my platform to do that. This is an experiment and it's also nuanced and what it has it started a conversation. And I'm also trying to speak for people who I have heard from, and that's what I'm trying to do. I'm never going to vote for Republicans, and I've said that very loud and clear. If anything, I really want people, young people in particular, to get engaged and to get involved. When you look at the Democrat sorry, when you look at Independence, there are millions of people who are independent, millions, and there's a growing number of young people who are becoming independent. And the message that should send to all of us is that there are folks who do not feel like they're being represented by Democrats or Republicans, and when there's a most primary process, they're closed out. So there is something fundamentally wrong here that we have to figure out and fix. And the two party system to me right now isn't working because you have our democracy that's at stake. And in Polyscia I learn in order to have a democracy that's working, the two party system needs to work. And you have party that's completely lost, and then you had a party that you didn't see any fight. You didn't see any fight, and so that is a problem to me. And so what we need to do, and what I think we saw in yesterday's last night's result is that the people are speaking out. This should be about the people. And they're being very clear and they're not They're not saying, oh my gosh, you know, you know, they're not saying mcdonnie's the leader. They're saying, no, we can be independent thinkers in our own spaces. And we see the moment that we're in and it is important to get out and vote, and we have to do our job. And obviously there's a lot of you know, craziness going in in the White House that people are reacting to. They are reacting to this, and so that's what I am seeing, and that's what I see the issue and the problem with the system.
Speaker 8: That we have right now.
Speaker 7: I mean, if we have got in order for us to get out of this situation, it's going to take some time. We need young people to engage and we got to meet them where they are right now.
Speaker 8: And that's what I'm trying to do.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm actually going to see my time to Tiffany. She was she's the journalist of the crew. My communications degree is in talking shit in the barbershop, so I know that she has some in depth, in depth questions about your book. I do want to come back to the end of the night, but I wanted to see my time because I know you're busy.
Speaker 1: To Tiffany, no, thank you.
Speaker 4: Sorry, Hey, hi, so I because of time, I've had like so many highlights in your book after reading. I have to tell you, I read it in one sitting, because you go through and highlight the policies that you align with and where you stand. And so I had one opinion about it reading all the reviews, and then when I read it, I had a thousand more questions. But I'll sew you what struck me specifically, Korean, and that is, you are really critical of the media, and I will tell you I echo all of those concerns. I share that here on NLP Weekly, and you go through specific examples. My frustration with these examples the White House as a gatekeeper in terms of who we have access to, who talks to who, And you know I would see constantly, particularly with the Joe Biden White House, in every administration, you saw a lot of officials go on mourning Joe. That platform has average about five hundred to seven hundred thousand viewers, and they have a certain perspective, a perspective that leans to the comfort of white people. Yet Joy read our sister, our friend, and Karina and I are friends. In transparency, she would have two million viewers. It was impossible to get somebody from the White House on her platform. I had more viewers than Morning Joe. It was impossible to get somebody from the White House on our platform. What was your role as press secretary in giving access to where viewers actually gathered? And what's your advice to candidates now trying to navigate that same course.
Speaker 7: I think it's it's two things that you just you just laid out things that we had issues with. I would year from folks and be like, why can't we get an interview? And look, those decisions were made from the com side. I think one things that people don't understand, like the press and the comms were very different, and we did different things in our approach and what we well, you know, what we executed was very different, and so those decisions came outside of me, above me on who certain people would talk to.
Speaker 8: But I think it was a problem. I do.
Speaker 7: I think that we needed to do a better job in taking tough questions from tough reporters like yourself.
Speaker 8: Journalists who were going to help us hold us into account.
Speaker 7: Right, and that is something that we that I acknowledged, that is something that some of us brought up and it just was 'nable to make happen.
Speaker 8: One of the things that we did.
Speaker 7: Try to do was the podcast and try to stay away from the cable, stay away from the broadcast because the podcast, as you all know, have a lot more reach. And so that is a decision and a direction that we did go.
Speaker 8: But look, we didn't do it things perfectly.
Speaker 7: Every administration has this type of issue of like who who are they going to have their principle talk to, what does it look like? And a lot of it is, you know, protecting their principle, doing our jobs and making sure that that happens. And that's you know, certainly part of part of the way that that operation works inside of government, inside of a White House. I mean, one of the things that I appreciated from example, Mom, Donnie and some others is that they talk to everybody. They really went out and you know, talk to everyone and had real conversations. But it is an issue that you have seen in many administrations, is protecting It's almost like you feel as if okay now or in government and governing is really hard, and it is there's a sense of putting the walls up and protecting and protecting your you know, your.
Speaker 4: Candidate given what you're describing, because candidates often make themselves available, but what you're differing exact uh and elected official from the people who will hold him accountable, you know, from journalists, from their constituents. And I think a lot of that happens is because the people who fill those roles often don't look like us. They're often, you know, white people who don't always know the value or the landscape of a more diverse media landscape. I want to follow up because you also describe a working relationship that you had in the White House that I think many black women across the country you can certainly relate to, where you know, you get this position, you're historic, you're taking that podium for the first time, and there was someone above you, and you describe this person should have been a mentor, they had great experience, and yet you describe a relationship where they're working against you. They try to circumvent you from traveling with the president, and they're telling you like it's they're doing it in your favor. You know, your benefit, You're a mom, you shouldn't go, but it was really trying to sun you a little bit. You know, who exactly was that person that you're talking about.
Speaker 7: Well, I'm not going to go beyond the book, but I wanted to share. Well, well, I wanted to share. I know, I see you, book, I see you.
Speaker 3: I was I was trying to figure out Tiffany with the mess I was going to ask something like that, but.
Speaker 4: Karine, because lots of people could be working for her, I.
Speaker 5: Know who it is.
Speaker 8: I will not like me too.
Speaker 7: I'm not confirmed, ton but look, here's I told that story because look, when I was White House Press Secretary, I was quiet about any attacks on me or anything that was happening to me personally because I wanted to focus on the job at hand. And so if this book gave me an opportunity to be like, Okay, you know what, I'm gonna speak to this.
Speaker 4: So, Kareine, you were just you had just named the person, but your audio went out, So can you say that name again?
Speaker 8: You're good, Tiffany.
Speaker 7: I I will not confirm her tonight.
Speaker 8: Not going to go beyond the book.
Speaker 4: I'm not going Well, what was thinking, honestly, what was your thinking and not naming names because there was a lot you could have said in this book. And I know, I think all of us on this panel I had some close personal connection to the campaign, and you were very light, you stepped very lightly in telling these stories. What was your consideration in not naming because I.
Speaker 7: Didn't honestly, honestly, I didn't want to live in it that much, right. I wanted to tell the parts that I think were important in telling the full story of the book. And you know, I also didn't want people to think they were living rent free in my head, you know, I wanted to just like we went through, we went past it. But I also felt like this moment that we were in right now was so critical and so important that we had I had to for myself get past it, and I had. But I wanted to tell my story in the quickest, easiest way, but also highlight something that happens to so many of us, whether were women, women of color, black women, or been othered. It is not an unusual story. It is something that lives with people every single day. But then I also wanted to move past it, you know, and some people I didn't mention is because I didn't want to give them. I didn't want them in my book. I didn't want to name them in my book. You know, I didn't want to give them that. So anyway, there was a there was I did think about that. I did really didn't, and I was like, you know what, I don't want them in my book. I'm going to try and move by this. But I also want to tell this story because.
Speaker 3: It's important for people to real quick question for me and kind of to put a button on this conversation. I think that you are a heroin a trailblazer and down South we say give people their flowers while they're living, and your accomplishment is something that I want say to be able to read about in schools one day, because I mean, you're just a badass woman.
Speaker 2: You need to hear that.
Speaker 3: How do we analyze watching the animus from all sides against my homegirl, Kamala Harris, just three hundred and sixty five days ago, versus the success you had in Detroit, Syracuse, Albany, New Jersey, Virginia, New Orleans, Charlotte. You saw women win all across the country yesterday. What what what am? I? And I guess this question is for Tiffany and Angela as well. But what am I taking away from that? Because after after Kamla got beat, I was told that, you know, we shouldn't have another woman run, we should stay away from people of color. Then last night you saw white women win, you saw black women win. You saw Helena Moreno win in New Orleans just recently. And I said last night, Tiffany's gonna fight me. But this week, you know what I'm trying to say, I'm trying to speak podcast language. And we saw women do extremely well all across the map.
Speaker 2: So how do I.
Speaker 3: Juxtapose those two elections that just happened three hundred and sixty five days apart.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I would love to hear from Tiffany and Angela too, because I know they're experts on having their finger on the pulse in the moment. And look, you saw what black women mayors just across the country making history. And look, I think we're in a different moment.
Speaker 8: I really do.
Speaker 7: I think people are afraid. I think people are scared. People are reacting to twenty twenty four. People are reacting to this moment that we're in with the disaster, the fear that folks are living with every single day. I mean, some folks are going about to lose their snaps. I mean, you know, their programs that people really need in their community, and this administration doesn't seem to care. They just don't seem to care. And I would say last year, there was so many things playing into this. There was the incumbency, There was the one hundred and seven days that she had to do this. I think there was the Democratic Party was not aligned. They were not aligned behind her in the beginning. It took a minute for them to get behind her. Think you had you know, you had misogyny, racism, sexism, all of that with Donald Trump, you know, being the megaphone for it, and people wanted something different. We weren't in touch on the economy, We weren't. We just were not connecting with people. So there were things that were happening that we just missed, we missed. And I think Kamala Harris Vice president. Harris did a phenomenal job in those one one hundred and seven days that she had a phenomenal job, and sadly it was just not enough for some people.
Speaker 5: And you know, that is.
Speaker 7: Part of the book that I talk about the reasons what happened in twenty twenty four, the disappointment that I saw, and you know now now there is a reaction to where we are in twenty twenty five Project twenty twenty five, and forty eight percent of that is done in just ten months, and that's hurting people, and people feel that. I mean, I would love to hear from Angela and Tiffany because I'm curious to hear what they think as well. Well.
Speaker 4: I would say, you know, the punditry class does not America make you know, again, the same way that you have in campaigns, white consultants who are getting paid a lot of money every month advising candidates on how they should maneuver their fingers are not on the pulse. The same way that you have a very the relics of campaigns, a very white landscape in media, going to people like James Carville, who quite frankly hasn't you know, it's not necessarily the person who's who I'd want to talk to about what tomorrow looks like gives ill advice. I think it is. It is an institution, an anachronistic institution that is having trouble keeping up with a diverse, multi ethnic democracy that they quite frankly served as gatekeepers and were not ready to engage. I don't know anybody who sits around and says, oh, did you see what so and so said on Meet the Press on Sunday? Or did you hear from from this person on Good Morning America. I mean, it's just a new landscape. On the flip side of that, however, I will say, in terms of engaging podcasts, there is some danger. Everyone with the podcast is not a political expert, So candidates should go everywhere whether they're a political expert or not. The media has to stop engaging people who are not experts and most of the time don't know what they're talking about, and giving them a microphone asking people who have never worked on a campaign. They're there day in their whole life, but because they have a big following, oh what's your attitude? What what do candidates need to do for black voters right now? So it's a double problem, a double headed snake. I would say, that's quickly rendering a whole lot of people less relevant and possibly escalating people to positions they have not earned.
Speaker 5: I'm on mute, I'm mute.
Speaker 2: So I was saying thank you. I was.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 3: Both of y'all are giving me something that something that you from from what happened this week.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, Angela, Nope.
Speaker 6: I would like to associate myself with my coll remarks and shout out to all of the black women who made history, who ran because somebody said they can't. And I also, I just think it's important for us to also dissect at some point, speaking of this big tent, why it's okay for white women to run and win statewide versus Black women who do the same and run into a lot of problems the party, the saying that they're not formidable enough, they're not going to be competitive, et cetera. So I want to have that conversation at some point too in what bars we put in place, guardrails and gatekeeping I think are different and we need to figure that out.
Speaker 5: I will shout out.
Speaker 6: I won't say this is the only compliment James Carvill will probably ever get from me.
Speaker 5: He was right about of Donnie. Okay, he got it right off and Donne.
Speaker 6: I don't know what Van Jones was talking about, but he was right about Donnie. So that's all I want to say about James Carfield. Other than that tip, I generally agree.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we should not be possible, that's what it's like.
Speaker 1: No, we should not y blessed by your voice, your example, and your service. At some point, mostly because I wanted to avoid myself asking this question about Joe Biden specifically, but at some point, I do think for the annals of history and so that future generations and those even of us in this generation who still perform in the future.
Speaker 2: Will.
Speaker 1: Look back on history and take the right examples from it. I do think it is important that people like you who were on the inside to state their word, to state their experience, whatever it may have been, on what happened during that period, because the American people deserve it. But more importantly, it ought to be of service to history so that we don't repeat the mistakes of the past. I'll that's really all I'll say about going back and rebirthing that experience during jump here is that as you go around, continue to speak it, and to speak it loudly and proudly. But I think the most relevant that it will ever have for me is that it served as important markers and that we take important lessons from things of the past that might inform our future. So thank you for taking time and being with us, and obviously we'll give give you a platform any time here on Native Land that you're willing to come and chat with us.
Speaker 7: I appreciate it any I would love that. This was I think an incredibly productive conversation and I appreciate the opportunity and I love you all.
Speaker 8: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Thank y'all, Thank you, kareem and stay tuned.
Speaker 9: On the other side, Hey, Native Land Podcast. My name is doctor Hope Coleman. I am a licensed club and social worker and I currently live in making Joygia. So it is really late and I'm actually recovering from surgery, so that's probably why I were crazy.
Speaker 5: But I was just.
Speaker 10: Thinking, if we can't beat them, can we join them? And what I mean by that is what if we did something like the spook who set by the Door type of thing. If we could all join the Republican Party and promote people who actually have our values in place to run in the public Republican Party, and then we nominate those people and both them into office. There is that Do you feel like that's reasonable? Is that something that we can do to like almost flip the Republican Party to being something better than what it is. Is that do you think that's something we can move?
Speaker 1: I like that doctor hope and we hope you are recovered or continue to recover, uh from that surgery?
Speaker 2: What what?
Speaker 1: What do y'all think? Infiltration?
Speaker 2: I like the creativity.
Speaker 3: I just don't I mean, I looked at Donald Trump ain't even support winsom Seers last night, So I don't really know if they want us, you gotta you gotta infiltrate and get some numbers and and.
Speaker 2: Do some things to find us well them. I don't know that the folks who I'm.
Speaker 6: Talking about Winsome, she is on some she is on some other stuff.
Speaker 3: Much you can put, you can put uh. You can put Winsome and and uh herschel Walker and even may he rest in peace Herman Kane into a category of people that the Republican Party put out the pastor pretty quickly. And so I don't think that there is a a true desire. I don't know the intricacies of the Republican Party, but I like the creativity. I just think our energy is probably best other used transforming a party that has included us from top to bottom, even when we are upset at it and reframing the foundation of the Democratic Party and trying to change that then infiltrating or the spook by the door. But I mean, I ain't really I'm gonna drink some tequila tonight and think about that.
Speaker 5: A little bit, including us from top to bottom.
Speaker 2: That's what I said.
Speaker 3: That's why caveat, caveat it is that a word tificy it is now?
Speaker 1: That is do you know? The only other reasonable response I could offer would be a lot of places in my state are just read top to bottom, from school board to your county commissioners to your mayor, and they have sizeable black populations in a lot of these places. And so the only way that a number of these people can feel represented or be a representative themselves might be to change party affiliation, run with the banner of Republican, and govern as your natural self, whatever your your political tendencies might might might lead you toward. That's That's really the one place where I think maybe a strategy around how black voices get integrated into decision making when you live in a county or an area that's just overwhelmingly Republican that you know, it's not even a beauty contest to run as a Democrat. It's nothing you you you'll never get there with that moniker. But but but the wholesale I just don't know that there's a national strategy that gets us where we want to be through infiltration.
Speaker 3: In that I mean echo Howard Dean for a minute, right, who kind of got a bum wrap with one live mic. I think I thought Howard Dean actually was a really good chair and had some.
Speaker 2: Unique policy perspectives.
Speaker 3: He had a fifty state strategy, which is where I'm going with with the with what you're talking about, Andrew, because I do think one kind of the antithesis to what you're saying is still along the same line. I think Democrats need to run everywhere, right, I understand infiltrating their party, but in these deeply read places, we got to run for doll catcher and make sure that they aren't able to run unopposed. Shout out to my friend who won last this week in in Mississippi to break the supermajority. Right, he flipped the I mean overwhelmingly flipped a Republican Senate seat. I mean, you're starting to see those things actually happen. They kicked the last Republican off the Orlando City Council last this week. I'm struggling with these timeframes. But it's justifitly about to just kick me from over here.
Speaker 5: But I do I do it to be but I just.
Speaker 3: Think that I think that we have to get back, and I wish we had the resources and the foundation because if Ken Martin popped up on the show, I wouldn't know who he was, right, I just don't know that cat that's the that's.
Speaker 5: The chair chair that would like to not use DEI.
Speaker 3: So, but I'm just saying I think that there has to be you know, I hear the infiltration of maybe this or that, but I just take it one step further. And even in those deeply read places, I think that they have to feel some pressure, even if you're not going to win this particular time run somebody's.
Speaker 4: And I just I just offer some historical context. I mean, this did happen before there was a switcher rouse, so to speak, of the political ideologies in the parties a century ago. You had the Republican ideology chains drastically after post reconstruction and then the New Deal. Uh, and it was really when Roosevelt's election, I think he got like seventy five percent of black voters, and then when the New Deal excluded so many black people. Between that era of the Civil Rights movement, that's when you really saw not only ideology shift, but you saw a shift in who black voters aligned with as the Republican Party increasingly became comprised of wealthy businessmen, and then you had people making inroads to folks once we have the rights to vote. So it's not impossible to happen again. And there are some people historians particular, who would say that everything repeats every hundred years. So she may have been a Nigro Damis with her question, but I don't know if that can realistically happen now. I think we're going to see the whole political party system implode at some point in the company's future, but I don't know that that will happen in our lifetime.
Speaker 1: Well before it implodes, we might want to just reflect on the politics of this week and how it may have changed the country. I am very very interested to hear y'all's takes on what we saw happen really across the country. I know there are places like New Jersey and Virginia and New York City that are getting a lot of attention. But as we pull back and think about what happened this week and elections that took place on Tuesday across the nation, I'm curious from you all whether or not these are bel weather are we seeing. I mean, I'll just be blunt and say Virginia, New Jersey, and New York City are pretty blue places. I mean, Virginia goes back and forth, but we're our safe territory for Democrats in a lot of ways, and so good that Democrats were able to pull through some of those places. But I do think it's the picture is actually more complicated than that. I think it's more diverse than that. And I'm wondering from each of you, how do you size it up and whether or not we can either continue the momentum in this direction or whether the politics of the midterms will have to look different.
Speaker 6: You know, Andrew, I want to get to that, but I also just want to highlight some things that I think that are unique about our show. There has been this big celebration, and I think it's good for people to see a momentum shift, especially amiss the shutdown. At the time recording this podcast, it is now the longest government shut down in history. There's conversation about moderate Democrats leaning towards a gutted out version of healthcare subsidies for tax paying citizens. But at the same time, we are still in the midst of shutdown, and people said they spoke decisively about what they didn't want.
Speaker 5: I think that there's still some.
Speaker 6: Ambiguity about what people do want and how we get there. So, for example, we know of the Virginia governor, the lieutenant governor, the attorney general. There was a full sweep in Virginia. But what I don't think we talk enough about are these percentage changes. These are things that you and Baccari have experienced firsthand having been elected officials.
Speaker 5: Why would Abigail Spamberger have.
Speaker 6: Fifty seven percent of the vote, the lieutenant governor who's a Muslim woman gets fifty five percent of the vote, and you get down to Jay Jones, a black man, it's fifty two percent of the vote.
Speaker 5: If you're voting across the back, you know, full ticket, what's up? What's up?
Speaker 6: So I think those these are the kinds of difficult conversations that we've got to have and we can't have it Ken Martin without DEI and without an inclusive componversation and about candidate recruitment and who you decide can win these elections, and talking to voters about their subconscious and sometimes very blatant racism.
Speaker 5: I think the.
Speaker 6: Other thing that Bakart brought up around Mississippi is important. There was not just a Senate seat flip, but also a House seat flip that's in the red state of Mississippi. There is almost no investment in southern states. There is a reason to invest in Southern states because when voters are motivated, when they're poured into just like anybody else, whether it's your congregation or is your workplace, people show up very differently.
Speaker 5: I think the other thing that I really want to highlight are two blue states.
Speaker 6: I'm biased here, so I want to talk about Washington briefly. Erica Evans, who ran for city attorney black women from my law school. She won decisively. City council woman Dion Foster will she will be a city council woman. In the King County exec we will have the first ever King County Exec. And Germai Zahala should he pulled this off, but he's running against a rich white woman and then of course New York and I think that the conversation that is frustrating me right now is is he represent the face of the party and people are the new face of the Democratic Party, the future of the Democratic Party. And I really appreciate what AOC said and part of what we heard from Koreem, which is this is a big tent party and it has multiple faces. And I think it is errant to assign any particular face or one body of politics to this entire party, especially because when you go to the Bureau of Queens, Mam Donnie just barely eaked out of victory there, and so what is the what is the world challenge there? That's not necessarily a party conversation, but it is a political conversation, and we've got to get to the notes and nets and both of that. I also want to shout out California on Prop fifty or the sixty three percent of people, ninety one percent of black voters support it Prop fifty.
Speaker 3: Media, Oh, go ahead, I'm sorry. I just wanted to just level set what what happened this week. I think I think it's important for us to just talk about how Dems won up and down the ballot quickly. They flipped two statewide seats on Public Service Commission in Georgia. And when I was talking about black women earlier with KJP, I forgot to mention Alicia Johnson, a black woman who did something that others haven't done in a very long period of time. And we're talking about Georgia. Democrats won by greater percentages than Democrats won in California and Hawaii. I mean, let's think about that for a second. You know, we won, We swept Virginia, New Jersey as well. We did things like when the mayor of Pittsburgh, Democrats did that jd Vance's brother got beat by over sixty points for the mayor of Cincinnati, Ohio. Shout out to Atap Pureval. And then in Virginia, to your point, Angela, every single county in Virginia swung left. And what we saw were the gangs that Donald Trump made in the Hispanic community actually immediately reverted back. And so you have to begin to look at some of these underlying trends. I just wanted to make sure that listeners and viewers Tiffany kind of understood the gravity because I can't go around a race outside of Melvin Carter being upset in Saint Paul, Saint Paul, Minnesota last night, which was just an upset. He just got beat by somebody who was you know, I'm gonna let them talk about their own race. But from similar politics, at least on the same side of the isle. You can't find a Democrat or a Democrat initiative that got beat this week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then you mentioned earlier some of the black winds, uh up and down.
Speaker 3: The ballot, some of those, Yeah, I mean Alicia Johnson and Georgia. You have Mary Mary Sheffield in Detroit. You have two new mayors in New York. I know a lot of people talk about but Aubany and Syracuse now have have Vylos one re election last night. I mean, but you know, now, let me just say this, Charlotte was under the microscope from the right wing because of the death, the unfortunate death of the young lady on the train. By the way, the city doesn't even operate the public transit service there, it's privately run, but they were. She was under fierce attack and she won with seventy percent of the vote. So I mean, I just think we have the level set Tiffany about what exactly happened this week.
Speaker 4: Is there, though, Bucari, like a geographical difference, you know? I have to say I'm really frustrated with the question and the idea around centering Mandannie's race, like is he the new face of the Democratic Party? I think that is a question that centers the Beltway so much because people who are impacted by this shut down, people who are hungry today, I don't know that that's what they're thinking about. I think, you know, it's politics, as we all know, as a local game, and people spoke to policies that impacted people that inspired them to come out Mondonnie. I will say that he did an amazing job hitting the nightclubs. I had never really seen that, and he understood that if I walk into this hip hop club, into every kind of genre of nightclub he could, and everybody was going to take out that phone and he's you know, flag surf into New York. That that was a free earned media opportunity for him. You know, that was just everybody was going to share that. And I thought that was really innovative for him. He's also a thirty four year old, you know, assemblyman, and he brought out the largest turnout in New York City in more than three decades. I think that says something. New York is a city of immigrants, now a city run by immigrants, and we know that, you know, exit polls are notoriously unreliable, of course, but he did at this point. I mean, these numbers will likely change, but he did get I think fifty five percent of the black vote, which says something. But mccaria, I thought it was really interesting that you talked about what happened in Georgia, and Georgia black voters are the base vote. They are not a niche group that you turn out to. So I just think it is it's so it's a flat terminology because all this this week, every single question has been you know, is he the new face? Is he the new face? And it feels like a question that's trying to pigeonhole Democrats, you know, so they can say, well, look at this, but you said that he supports this policy, and you're saying he's a new face, but what about this in this area? And I love when people push back on that question because it just it just seems dated this point.
Speaker 3: The reason being is because you know this, and we all know this better than most, but let's articulate it clearly. The reason being is because Kamala Harris is now somewhat on the sidelines kind of regrouping. Joe Biden is no longer necessarily someone that's out on the forefront. Barack Obama's been removed from the presidency now for nine years, almost going on ten years, or they're about and so the Republican Party does something extremely good, which is paint this boogeyman. And what they want to do is have this boogeyman in Mandani because they are going to otheriz him, because they're going to say that he is not American. They're going to say that, you know, you hear the litany of things to castigate him. And they want that boogeyman and to be a part of what Democrats have to say when they are articulating their successes and or failures or whatever it may be. And my point is this, the Democratic Party is Joe Manchin and Mundanni and everybody in between right and the Democratic Party, whether or not we like it or not, as a big tent party, but the successes don't stop. Because if you just mentioned Mamdanni and you don't mention the young ladies who won an Albany and Syracuse, right, you don't mention the individuals who won in Georgia or Orlando, Florida or Mississippi. I think you're doing a disservice, and I think it was an outwter rejection. I just think that last night is a vacuum. There are lessons that can be learned. But to Andrew's point, specifically as the great host of today's show, I'm not sure that that would foretell what will happen next year.
Speaker 1: You set up real straight, the Mundanni peace with regard to the boogeyman that Republicans want to create. My real frustration is the great assist in that deva they're giving from other Democrats, the fact that you've got so many prominent Democrats who are willing to either withhold support for Mondami or to you know, sort of you know, bottom of the page is sort of footnote all the differences in so many ways. I just feel like the party so often so afraid of its own shadows, so afraid of what the critique might be of their person of choice or the new person who's coming that they jump to the side and they do the job that Republicans want to do to us, they do it for them, And I would just yes, it's a big tent party, but also yes, the man actually has some good goddamn ideas that more Democrats got to pick up on, run on, win on, and then legislate on, just as is the case for a bunch of other candidates who are you know, bathe in the blue Democrats that we would all wrap our arms around and celebrate and lift up who also has their own set of issues if we want to go, you know, by lying hook by hook through which one of them to determine who is positionally the best next figurehead if you want to go down that line. But but the but my frustration with the calling out Mandamee as if he is some dinosaur and the rest of us are on some other planet is ridiculous. It's uncalled for, and voters will not reward Democrats for that. In the end, do not but tray uh this man simply because he didn't come up through the party in the same way that you did, didn't lay his Oaks in the same way and have the unmitigated gall to question whether or not the the the the international policy being pursued and and Gaza is the right one, or whether it's hu Maine or not. We got to learn that lesson first and stop doing the assist work to Republicans who are held bent on trying to cast get the guy and make him look like the strange dude in the room, you know, as quick as anything.
Speaker 3: And I think the I think the flip side is I think that Mom, Donnie and I believe this to be true. I think that and you probably can articulate this better. Everybody doesn't. You don't legislate how you campaign, right.
Speaker 1: Of course, he's already yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean you just I mean I think that people have to take a deep breath and understand that that is the way that politics, for.
Speaker 2: Better or for worse.
Speaker 3: I mean, I usually think it's for better because people get involved in a system, they understand the system, They understand how they can create successes within that system or shatter that system and try to recreate it in the image that they want. But I will tell you, Mandami did piss me off by being a part of a movement that didn't even support Kamala Harris. Now, for me as a Democrat going forward, that means that we now have to we now have to we now have to bring him into the fold or whatever it may be, or go wrap arms or whatever, go to his folk. I don't know how that works. However, there you can't. I mean, what is it past this prolog or whatever it is? And there is a weird expectation. And wait a minute. You you led a movement to abandon Kamala Harris when we when democracy was on the line, and now we're hip or critical for not supporting you today. I think now everybody has to take a deep breath and say, Okay, now, how do we move forward together in some way, shape, form, or fashion that means that we can beat fascism?
Speaker 11: Nobody knows.
Speaker 4: I wanted to touch on this point that Bakari made about him not supporting Kamala Harris. Vice President Harris and a lot of people didn't support her, and I think the important context there is her position on Israel and Palestine. And look, we talked about that on this show. We understood the danger that we were facing here in America. But if you are supporting a regime that is committing genocide, that is funding a genocide, and that is supplying weapons that are killing people that fit under the umbrella in which I identify, or even if it doesn't fit under the umbrella that I identify, I cannot be mad now. I think I wand up in protesting her is senseless and dumb. One of our friends that that's like showing up to a Beyonce concert to protest. R Kelly, like, I agree with that, but I do I understand. I think we have to extend some humanity. She was willing to call for a two week cease fire, and that wasn't enough for a lot of people. So I hear you, Bacari. I just think there is a legitimate reason why some people could not bring themselves to vote for her. Angela, I know we're coming to you. I just want to say, I know you spoke to her this week, and I'm really excited to see that interview and if there's anything, if we your co host can't have a sneak peek, can you just tell us anything because we obviously didn't watch it live, but I'm really excited to hear if you can share anything that we might want to know. As you answer say with your.
Speaker 6: Thanks, Tip, I just want to clarify briefly, there's I don't know, Bakari, and I love to see what you're looking at, but there's nothing that I've found that said that he did not support her. He did not publicly support her. I don't of an effort that he led to go against Kamala Harris. I just want to make sure we're precise and clear about that. I know he was very excited about her endorsing him. She made a statement where she said I'm gonn support any Democratic nominee, and then she went further to the point Tip.
Speaker 5: When we were in conversation.
Speaker 6: On Tuesday night, election night in Seattle, she was very thrilled to have been have supported Zora Mandani and and talked about how excited she was to have talked to most of the candidates the night of the election. So she definitely is not caring whatever. And I know sometimes when we love our people, we go harder for them than they want us to go. And they've moved past it and we haven't released it. But I think it is foolish for us not to see beyond new York the way that he was able to be unconventional in his approach he was doing. He did the one of the like Instagram posts he did. He went sat on this corner and talked about the legacy of LaGuardia, you know, talked about all of these things that he is trying to bring forward with New York, also trying, I think, show the as distinct as he is, as different and diverse as he is, there's some saneness, some similarity that he hopes to and some lifeblood that he hopes to bring back to the city. I think for us to or for people, for the American people to not see the danger in resurrecting Andrew Cuomo and after Donald Trump endorsed him, I just don't even know what the conversation is really about. If there was, if it was the Republican Party, they would hold their nose and keep going. They would hold their nose for Marjorie Taylor Green, they would hold their nose for Trey Goudi, they would hold their nose like for any of them, my bad bee. I know Trey Goudy's your friend, he's not mine, But any of them, right, they're gonna go hard and to paint for any of them. We act like if somebody has if we only agree with them seventy five percent of the time, then there is a no go and that it's so dumb.
Speaker 5: I don't like to say dumb, but that is I don't.
Speaker 4: Know, you guy, I don't know. Or I wanted to give McCary a chance to say, because I do think it's we owe clarity that if he led an effort.
Speaker 3: To Yeah, no, I mean I'm gonna be I'm gonna be extremely clear because I mean he he was a part of the uncommitted movement, which we know and we know we know about. In twenty twenty four, he owed urged voters to withhold their vote from Joe Biden and Kamala Harris. He cast a blank blank ballot, leave it blank campaign. I'm in the primary system, and so yeah, I mean, look, I can't tell you. I mean, the uncommitted movement was what it was. And yeah, I'm not talking about their reasoning. I mean, I know Tiffany just gave an eloquent defense thereof but I just wanted to say that as a matter of of just clarity, he was he was a part of the uncommitted movement.
Speaker 2: He did leave it, leave it, But I don't know.
Speaker 4: I gotta believe this man's word.
Speaker 6: He went on with Clay Caine and he talked about supporting Kamala Harris. So I don't I don't know when he supported.
Speaker 1: He also could be moments in time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it could be moments in time.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm looking at a I'm looking at a at a at an uncommitted. A tweet from Zora on the uncommitted campaign in Michigan is an inspiration for how we can organize it.
Speaker 1: Like so Michigan, Michigan's uncommitted campaign was very distinct and direct to the primary process.
Speaker 5: He didn't live there, he is, But I'm just but I get your point. But I must want to.
Speaker 6: Make sure that I'm not signing something to him that's not true redless of the assignment.
Speaker 3: What I am saying is now, regardless of the assignment and where we were, And I think my only point is where we were then and how people may feel about him then, or how he may have felt about us or whomever. Then this is a moment in time where we may have missed that train to defeat fascism together.
Speaker 2: Then but maybe there is.
Speaker 3: A point where we can meet together and try to defeat fascism.
Speaker 2: Now that's my only.
Speaker 4: Point, can I ask y'all, because you're saying, you know how the Republican Party they blindly support anybody, and I don't know that that's a fair comparison. They are rooted in our destruction, they are rooted in their racism. So of course, if that's your chief goal, then yeah, you can hold your nose and vote for anybody. I mean, we have, you know, women who support pro choice policies who cast ballots for Donald Trump because they are voting in another part of their interests. I think it depends, I want to hear from all you guys. I think it depends on what that seventy five percent is for you. You're saying, if they support seventy five p cent but not twenty five percent, it's a no go. But if that twenty five percent is, I'm going to keep supporting funding weapons that are killing people who look like me. That's a big twenty five percent. If that twenty five percent is, I'm going to support this Democratic candidate who does not support affirmative action, who does not support DEI, and who maybe isn't an approach choice candidate, but they seventy five percent of these things they agree with. It just depends on where we fall.
Speaker 3: You think that that's a I think that's somewhat of a kind of a red hearing.
Speaker 6: And the reason even I mean, look at Gavin Newsom's she's just asking.
Speaker 3: Because I'm going back, I'm going back to Israel and Palestine here and we talked to I mean, I would love to ask the simple question who was better on the issue, Kamala Harrison.
Speaker 4: Donald Trump, Kamala Harris.
Speaker 2: By far So.
Speaker 3: I mean, for me, it's like and I understand, I get it, I completely understand.
Speaker 1: It be that they're both unacceptable.
Speaker 2: Well and boom, how about that if they if they are, which.
Speaker 6: One is her own credit? To her own credit? Again, tiff, I want to talk about the interview to her own credit.
Speaker 5: She said that they made some mistakes.
Speaker 3: But she said, but this is a but see this is this is a concept of duality. You only have two choices and if you don't vote, if you don't vote, that is a vote for Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: Which is why I say, which is.
Speaker 1: With the exceptin this is the fine point when we were in Michigan. We heard from people who had lost their cousins, first cousins, aunties, grandma's, were still waiting to hear from other relatives that they hadn't been with. The choice for them was not about is this person better on this thing than this person when they're all leading to an relation of my relatives, the people who I know love, so on and so forth. So this, this one hundred percent of where someone stands on an issue is individual. It is not systematic. It is to me, ninety percent of my politics are my children, and if you do something that is going to stunt them, I'm not for you to you. You know, maybe I'm a twenty five percent person for blacks, and I'm a twenty five percent person on women and a but it's individual. And so for those folks who I said in Detroit, I cannot Who am I to stand here and tell somebody who's lost their cousin, their aunt, their great grandmother, whomever, and this war that you were faced with either Donald Trump or this woman and go with the one that's going to No, I can't do that because if you tried me like that, we have problems. And I know these these were folks who were reckoning out loud with us about the conflict they faced. They knew he would be no good, but they also knew that they couldn't reward in any way, shape or form the annihilation that was taking place of their people and their family at that point in time.
Speaker 6: I guess I think, sorry, I hear you, Andrew, and I just want to clarify my twenty five percent was not about Gaza.
Speaker 5: It was just it was a blanket. But I have you.
Speaker 6: And I but I appreciate TI sess it out, like, well, what is that twenty five percent? Because I think it's important where I think the Democratic Party traditionally goes wrong, and even special interests.
Speaker 5: We're negros, we're.
Speaker 6: The special interest group within the party, right, Like, do you have a pledge? Do you have an agenda that you expect people to ascribe to. When you do that, then you can really figure out if you can rock with that twenty five percent that's missing or not. But to what we have to talk about it in this amorphous way because there are no guard rails, and because there are no guardrails, when somebody comes in in ruffles feathers, because they didn't come up through the establishment.
Speaker 5: You get, you get.
Speaker 6: This, you get everybody'll the billionaire, the billionaire folks, the pundits. There are people who we know very well who worked on Andrew Cuomo's campaign endorsed by Donald Trump. So I'm just saying we should at least be clear about what we're not gonna be if we can't be clear about where we are going to be. But I do think we have some work to do. It's gonna be a tough road, but I think it's worth it because what happens if you don't agree with this twenty five percent of whomever, you end up with people who you don't agree with at all or.
Speaker 5: Eighty percent of the time.
Speaker 6: Like I'm gonna sit this race out, I'm gona talk about Kamala and Donald Trump. Now I'm talking about your member of Congress, I'm talking about your mayor, I'm talking about your city council member. And I think we sometimes get so we want people to pass purity tests. We can never pass at work, correct, You just hit it, you just hit it.
Speaker 5: We can never at the store.
Speaker 1: That's a type of that is a type of voter just to some of us are harm reductionists, as voters. Yeah, there are others of us who are changing. Those who are who are better than sixty percent. There are others who are Just this is the thing that is really bugging me. I never voted before, but I'm going to the polls because I believe marijuana to be legal. That's it, period, enough said, I'm done.
Speaker 2: So I just I'm glad you're finally motivated. I'm glad you're finally motivated.
Speaker 5: Shot, But you.
Speaker 6: Got the point. The point here is this, And I don't want to skirt this either. This is so I wish we need to do this like a three hour podcast one day. But I think this is such a profound This is why Tiff is our journalist. It's such a profound question because it causes us to stress test one our history. Like if you look at the historic win of the Democrats in two thousand and six sweep took over. They were there, they were winning on draining the swamp right language that has now been stolen from the Democratic Party. That particular Congress was even though there were black people who became chairs of committees, it was particularly harmful to black members of Congress and black politics because they were asked to regularly hold their those they were going to get to it. Then two thousand and eight, hold your nose, Barack Obama's get to you second term, and we keep holding our nose and never getting a win. And now what has happened is the same black folks who need to vote for this party for it to stay in power, to retrieve power, to regain power, They're like, well, what do.
Speaker 5: I get for it if I do? Because every time I do this, I have to wait.
Speaker 6: That is a real wrestling and a family conversation that we have to have because it just won't work anymore. And one of the things I really appreciate about with Kamala what Madame Vice President said yesterday or tip whenever I did the interview, Okay, I messed this up every time she said that we shouldn't try to be reflective and reminiscent on what was the system that was because we know it was broken, So we shouldn't be striving to go back to rebuild something we talked about on podcasts too that we know it doesn't work, So what does the new road look like?
Speaker 3: I know we got to get to CTA's. I know we got to get to CTAs so yeah, but I just I appreciated that question a lot because it makes you dig a little deeper. And like, I don't think I'm a seventy five to twenty five type of voter. I'm a we can't be free until we all are free type of voter. And like I just look at the core ethics or morals or the what the what the inherent beliefs are of the choice, because I mean, it's you're making a choice when you cast a ballot, and if if that, if those inherent beliefs are more in line with mine, even if they're not all in line with mine, then that is how I cast my ballot.
Speaker 1: I hear you, Well, you continue this.
Speaker 4: Get the viewer question. We had another viewer question.
Speaker 1: Yep, We're going to get to that. We're going to get to that. Right after I finished this. We are hopefully going to continue this conversation as a part of our mini pod today. We'll talk a little bit further on the electoral side and get underneath some of the apparatus that helps some of these campaigns to succeed or not. And I also think it will be able to dig a little bit on what is accountability of your people, your side, how do you hold them accountable? And before we head to our CTAs, want to kick to this viewer question and maybe the best cook among us think you can address it. Ah, I'm a breakfast cook.
Speaker 12: Hello Native LAMPI I am Chessatia. I am the managing partner. All I want to do is feed you well and I create one of the kind experiences culturally relevant experiences around food. I got the opportunity to see you at Afrotech, but didn't have quite the time to ask my question. I am a native of Chicago and I have been activated in the Bay Area for the past ten years. My question has a lot to do with why I'm at Afrotech this year. It has to do with our recipes and our legacy data. My question to you is who is protecting our recipes holding on to our recipes? If you could name at least three people who you will leave without naming Michael Harriet, whose book is Magnificent, I bought three copses without being Michael Harriet. But somewhere in that line, who is holding on and preserving our legacy data and holding on our recipes?
Speaker 1: That's y'all.
Speaker 4: I love that question.
Speaker 13: I love.
Speaker 4: It's good because I know a lot of families this month are going to be making Thanksgiving dinners. And I was thinking, just this week, I used to, like a lot of black women or black girls. I used to sit in the kitchen just watching my grandmother cook, and while we were talking, you know, she'd like, you know, dice these onions from me, you know, chop these peppers. You know, I was her sous chef while also getting like life advice from her, So she was teaching me how to cook before I could see over the stove, but also just hearing those moments. And you know, I live alone, so it's not often that I'm cooking like a huge meal. And every Thanksgiven, we would all the entire family would be an audience and stand around my grandmother and watch her make her dressing because it was so good. And I was thinking, like, damn, did I still make her dressing? She passed away like ten years ago, and I haven't made dressing in probably ten years, like since she passed away, and I was trying to think of everything that went into it. So this question, I think, is, so as we lose our elders, lose our ancestors, you know all the things that we've learned to make how are we holding onto this? So to answer her question, I would say Chef Carla Hall. I know Chef Carla Hall has the book coming out. We should have her on the show, but I think she'd be a good person. Potentially Melba who we love, Joy Reed and I hosted a special with her, Melbyn Harlem, who loves the show. So those are my two answers.
Speaker 3: But I'm curious my answers are a little different because when I think about could take, say, keeping your recipes, I just don't think about it in the kitchen.
Speaker 5: So I was it didn't sound like she did either.
Speaker 4: I mean I think I just totally misunderstand that.
Speaker 3: Yeah you might have because Michael Harriet. But then no, I think you're right. But I think she referenced both. And I like the fact, by the way, her name is dope, because you know, she just didn't say cook.
Speaker 2: She said cook.
Speaker 3: Well, yes, the name said that you ain't coming for no half ass meal. You know we gonna cook. Well, So I appreciate that, but I think that our the stewards of our recipes. And I'm biased because I grew up in a household of one are our HBCU presidents. I don't think that they get enough love. I don't think they get enough support, encouragement and thanks. But I think those individuals have their finger on the pulse of a generation. They're always changing. That generation is always growing. They're always nurturing and shout out to people like doctor Warmack at Klaflin and roslind artists at Benedict. I mean, are they are the ones who are on the front lines with what are not the future leaders, They're the leaders of today. So I think that that is where our recipes get passed down and cultivated and preserved.
Speaker 6: I'm thinking about I'm just saying to name too quickly, Andrew. I want to hear your thoughts too. But there are two people who I feel like regularly stretched well. I can't say Michael Harriet, but of course he stretches us too. I want to go to Nicole Hannah Jones because recently she just uh, I think she purchased or she's renting out of space tip correct me if I'm wrong.
Speaker 4: She's building a building a place. Yeah, so she bought a building, a warehouse in Bedstye that's going to be books in Bourbon, her two favorite things. Hell, it's going to be a writer's residency with like three apartments. It's going to be a like we can record the live podcast there. It's going to be like a speakeasy that only her cool people know about. It's going to be a bookstore.
Speaker 2: All the things you.
Speaker 3: Just told, just told every listener about to speak easy Nicole.
Speaker 13: You know, Hell, But but I wanted I wanted to bring that up because what I love even about this purchase tip is it's an old black owned hardware store in Bedstye, And to me, like Nicole will find a way to make sure that we are going to learn our history, whether it's on paper it's tough agree or it's through a purchase like this, I think it's profound.
Speaker 6: And she just inspires me to constantly think out out the box, so it stretches me. I think about recipes that stretch you, not the simple ones you know off hand, but like the ones you might have to remix it to make sure it tastes good. And then I also want to shout out our friend Van Nwkirk, who is regularly going to find the stories of people that you may not have had on your walls grown up on your mantle on the church fan. He goes to find these people who are working to preserve their own legacy and there might also preserve our own. So at an end of time right now where I feel like the recipes are the things that Tiff talked about being passed down. The main way we can pass things down is to ensure we know how they're fighting against us, so we can proactively fight back. And of course y'all are my recipe keepers too. I get stretched by y'all every week. Sometimes y'all get on my nerves, but I'm always better for it.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you and vice versa.
Speaker 2: In all the way especially.
Speaker 1: I think I think doctor Abram Kenny is an important.
Speaker 14: Part of our history of today and obviously collecting history of the past and helping us draw connections between them.
Speaker 1: And I think another recipe keeper who is important that I can't name a singular person here, are going to be those people who are in your community who can track back. Almost every time a new thing is introduced that folks want to do right now in my city, you know, they're trying to determine where they want to want to give the publicly owned land of the hospital, the same hospital which didn't treat black folks until the sixties, want to give it to Florida State University, thereby becoming an asset of the state of Florida. Now giving it is what I'm saying, because this is a hospital paid for by local residents. And I've just read some of the most compelling things and from people writing about just elements of history that auto service cautionary note, cautionary tale to the decision makers of today about why it would be a bad reason to make this decision. Some of those cautionary detales are rooted in racism, others in classism, others in the power of the state to bigfoot people locally. And I just think these perspectives are so important, they're so rich, and it just sometimes takes the lived experience to have seen how people once reacted something to remind us that, hey, it may have happened fifty years ago, but if you don't trust now, trust trust, trust trust forever. Now after Donald Trump, that the things that we thought had once gone away and would never revisit us is right now the monster, supermonster that we're fighting right now. So those those recipe keepers who are resident in cities, counties, communities all over the country, who are keeping score and keeping record to remind us that, Nah, you don't want to go down that path. We traveled it and I can tell you where it leads. They're important to our community recipes. That was That was really fun. I also appreciate you a question or allowing us to sort of expand in our own interpretation your your definition. So thank you, chef. Y'all we're at CTAs.
Speaker 15: Who cares about truth in the last morning?
Speaker 1: Seen it? Where should we began? Tiff? What you got for us?
Speaker 4: Okay? Well, mine is a little selfish. I'm crowdsourcing. We used to be able to do this on Twitter before it turned into a right wing garbage but you could ask people like for information and you could actually get in its early days, you can get good info and I get it less so on Instagram too now. So hopefully our listeners can help me out the Moors, as I'm sure a lot of people know the Moors ruled Spain for like eight hundred years, and so the concept of Africans Spain for that long. I will be honest, I don't know a lot about it, and I have been looking for books to read about that, like how it came to be and how they lost Spain. So I am crowdsourcing asking if you know of really good books, not so much academic because I get lost in those, but more a narrative of how this happened. If you know of great documentaries that tell this story, I kind of want both. Please leave a comment. I will look at it. I'm definitely looking to learn more about that, not for any reason, just because I want to know, but I think when we hear about these stories, it changes how we look at the times happening now and changes how we feel about ourselves. So yeah, if anybody knows of a really great book on how the more Is conquered and ruled Spain for eight hundred years and what happened, drop a note.
Speaker 3: Nice b What you got minus is kind of simple, But I just want to remind people to find something to be really really good at. I was in a trial last week. I have another trial coming up next week, and it just reminded me that I love my profession and my.
Speaker 1: Goal is so damn good as to be very very good at it.
Speaker 3: And when I was playing basketball in high school, my coach reminded me that I was a jack of all trades and a master of none, and I just think about that often. Many times we get caught up in trying to be fast and be quick, and we forget that there is innate value and being very very good at something. So whatever you're focused on, just be the very best, y'all.
Speaker 6: My call to action is going to be to please find Bacari's high school stats. I'd like them for Tiff, who is our resident sports expert, just in case we can use that against him as well while his haze up continues. Mine is I borrow something from the conversation with Madam Vice President yesterday, which is to God this week, which is to not let your light be dimmed by this moment.
Speaker 5: Again.
Speaker 6: We're in the record breaking government shut down and it's impacting everyone from hunger to health care. So I want to make sure that while you are fighting to preserve your light, you might be one of the furlough workers, you might be somebody who's been laid off, that you don't let your light be dimmed, and that you keep talking to us. All we want to hear from you if you've been impacted by this shutdown. If you're experiencing healthcare premiums rising, we want to know, we want to be able to tell your story, and we certainly want to be helpful.
Speaker 5: Again.
Speaker 6: We've been inspired by so many folks in our community who have reached out to lend a helping hand in this really, really difficult time.
Speaker 1: I love it, mind quick. It's because it is for myself and anybody else who wants to take my mother's words. My mom had a knee replacement surgery this week, and so we spent some time together at the hospital, and Bacary while we were together, she said, now, let me ask you why you won't let Bacar we talk. Why do you keep why you keeping the rupt them? You know, I thank you because you listened on the show, but you don't need to be running over other people talking and that is a good boy, and I don't want to see you do that again. So Bacary, I apologize as I did at the I said mine did say sorry at the end of the show, and then you said something else, and then I was like, I don't know what else I said. Then I remember I hate you feel that way, and I was like, there's another So just no, man, my mama really rides for you. I had not been admonished before by her for something. And I apologize to all my co hosts for running over you, which I hopefully really do, but I will.
Speaker 6: Being sensitive to her other child because you don't be running over here.
Speaker 5: Y'all was running over each other.
Speaker 2: No, it was good.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think people were just amazed that it took one hundred and three episodes for you to get a word in. So that's what Andrew sounds like.
Speaker 1: Anyway, y'all have been listening to I'll be back with her tomorrow. We're getting moved to uh to rehab. But she's a charger. She's getting up. I mean, you know, the day of the morning she had surgery, first thing in the morning. That afternoon, the guy from from what do you call that therapy?
Speaker 11: Therapy came in and boy had her out of the bed walking to the bathroom, and because of the way she was, you know, struggling, I was like, man, we got to do this now.
Speaker 1: But you know they know best. You got to get moving when you get a new replacement. So thank you for asking. She is well, wishes us well, and we'll see you tomorrow. We'll move her to a residency.
Speaker 2: Welcome home, We.
Speaker 1: Welcome home, and welcome Welcome to recovery mommy. And for the rest of you, we have elections for sure. Let's cirta. You heard that for sure? Tip come in one of these days when I find it. Oh, there it is. There are three hundred and sixty two days until the mid term elections. We want to, of course, encourage all of our listeners to continue listening to the recent choice media family by checking in with Jamil Hill off the Cup, with Si Cup and our newest addition to the family now you know, with Noah Debraso. Be sure to give those all of those a follow alike share on social media along with them your sharing of us, and if nothing else, we ask and encourage you to subscribe all ways to native lampod dot com. I was to native lampod. You can do that a Native lampi dot com. You can be a person who gets to hear what we want to share with you firsthand. We are your very very lucky host Andrew Gillam Bacari sellers, Tiffany Cross and Angela Raie miss Rye. Native flam Pie is a production right Heart Radio, and it is in partnership with Recent Choice Media. You can of course access this show from anywhere you listen to your podcast and also off of what I Heard Radio app if I'm not mistaken, and also Apple Podcasts. Did I miss any y'all? I think we got them all? Welcome home, everybody.
Speaker 15: Welcome home to the Natives landing on the podcast face tests and for greatness, sixty minutes is so hit, not too long for the grape shit, high level combo politics in a way that you could taste it then digest it. Politics touches you even if you don't touch it.
Speaker 2: So get invested.
Speaker 15: Cross the t's and doctor I kill them, got them ass sellers stand on business with ry. You could have been anywhere, but you chose us. Native lamb Pod is the brand that you can trust.
Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reisent Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.