Speaker 1: The volume. All right, olgodon to Hoops tonight. You're at the ballume heavy Wednesday, everybody. I hope all of you guys are having a great week so far. We are continuing our player rankings today with number seventeen through number fifteen. This is a fascinating group. We just finished a group with three super talented young players, as you guys saw with Jalen Williams and Palabancaro and Kate Cunningham, all guys that are under the age of twenty five. This next group of three are all veterans with good playoff resumes. These guys are all more or less kind of at their peaks or maybe on the back end of their careers, but they have a wealth of experience that makes some very dependable players, especially in the playoff context. Different kind of group of guys that we're going to be looking at today. You guys are the Jill Portget Sarty to subscribe to Hoops and I YouTube channels. You don't miss any more of our videos. Follow me on Twitter and underscore jsnlts. You guys, don't miss show announcements. Don't forget about a podcast fee. Wherever you get your podcast under hoops tonight. It's also super helpful if you leave a rating and a review on that front. Jackson's doing great work on our social media feeds on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and TikTok. Make sure you guys follow us there. In the last minut least, if you disagree with any of the rankings on this list, drop it in the mail bag questions. Just put in there in your mail bag what you disagree with an elevator pitch like a concise version of why you disagree, And in our player rankings mail bags, we will debate where you guys disagree with me on these rankings. All right, let's talk some basketball. Number seventeen Pascal Siakam. Last season in review for Pascal, he played seventy eight games, average twenty point seven rebounds and three assists one point four stocks per game, as well made the All Star team for the third time in his career. Pascal is putting together an underrated NBA resume. He won Most Improved Player back in twenty nineteen. He's now made three All Star teams. He made the All NBA team twice, including second Team All NBA back in twenty twenty. That was a YEARI also finished top ten in MVP voting, and last year he was one of the best players in the playoff field and got within one win of his second championship as the secondary star on a team. His efficiency numbers from last year in the regular season fifty two percent from the field, thirty nine percent from three, which was a career high for him, and he actually expanded upon that in the playoffs, which we'll talk about in a minute, seventy three percent from the free throw line, fifty seven percent in effective field goal percentage, and sixty percent in true shooting, which was the third highest efficiency mark of Pascal's career. I really want to start with the defensive end here for Pascal, because, like Pascale, to me, has one of the highest floors of any player on this list, because he's just a rangy athlete with a seven to three wing span that does a ton of damages with his activity in his high motor. He posted one point nine stocks per game in the playoffs, which was substantially ahead of where he was in the regular season. It was the highest mark he's ever posted in a playoff run. He was top ten in both total blocks and total steals in the playoff run. His length in athleticism was what makes him so profoundly impactful in the setting. He had sixty four deflections in the playoffs, that was the fifth most out of any player. He contested one hundred and fifty seven shots, which was the third most among any player in the playoff field. He was near the top and loose balls recovered as well. He's just a defensive Swiss Army knife. He even did quality on ball defensive work at various points in the playoff run, including some really nice reps against Jalen Williams in the NBA Finals. This is all uniquely valuable to an Indiana Pacers team, who, as we all know, thrives on transition pushes off of missus and turnovers. They love to get up and down the floor. They do it the same thing on makes, but it's obviously easier off of missus and off of turnovers, and Pascal was one of the guys that was fueling the chaos that led to those transition opportunities. Before we get to anything having to do with Pascal's more refined off defensive traits, He's just an absolute monster on the margins. We covered all the defensive activity just a second ago. It's also his rebounding. He had three games in the NBA Finals where he grabbed four or more offensive rebounds. It's his work as a floor runner in transition. How many times did you guys see Pascal Siakam leak out in this playoff run and get a layup or a dunkin transition? He was literally the best transition scorer in the entire NBA playoff field in made field goals. He made forty eight shots in transition through four playoff rounds. That's more than two makes per game. They played twenty three games, forty eight makes in transition. He's so gifted running the floor. He's also hyper efficient in transition. There were fifteen players in the NBA last year in the playoff field that logged at least fifty transition possessions. His one point three to eight points per possession was far and away the best. Anthony Edwards was second place on that list, and he was below one point three, So a big gap between Siakam in transition efficiency compared to the rest of the NBA. Siakam's combination of athletic tools, motor and natural basketball instincts make him one of the more reliable playoff players in the league. Those are all things you can count on regardless of what variance might occur for players, shots going in or not going in, getting foul calls, not getting foul calls. Pascal's seven to three wing span, high motor, high defensive IQ, and activity overall athleticism that just brings an extremely high floor, a variance proof version of Pascal that you can count on to be there every single night.
Speaker 2: And it's the addition of the.
Speaker 1: More refined set of offensive skills that he showed this year that vaulted Siakam all the way up to this point in the list. This is by far the highest that Siakam has ever been on this list since I started doing it. There's a reason why Pascal was a career twenty seven percent three point shooter in the playoffs before this year. Even two years ago when they made it to the Eastern Conference Finals, he was a sub thirty percent three point shooter. This year, he shot a career high in the regular season at thirty nine percent, and he followed it up with a forty three percent three point shooting playoff run. On over eighty attempts. He was a dead eye shooter for them when you left him open. He was forty eight percent on unguarded catch and shoot jump shots. In the playoffs, he was literally hitting nearly half of his open threes. That is a big ceiling razor for Pascal with this team. He was also a very efficient one on one player for the Pacers. In the regular season, he was off the charts good. He ran five hundred and thirty seven post ups in ISOs, including passes, and got six hundred and nineteen points out of them. That's one point one five points per possession, which is like super super good. He shot forty six percent on pull up jump shots, fifty one percent on Hook's reliable short range shot, and anybody who's watched Pascal long enough knows he's one of the most gifted, like tough contested layup makers that I've ever seen. He was sixty six percent on layups in the regular season last year. That's insanely good. I think he was up to sixty seven percent in the postseason. He just kind of has this like natural ability to slip through cracks, like these tiny little windows of space where help defenders are collapsing, and he just somehow like gets through many times falling down and just somehow extends that long ass wingspan out there and just feeds it softly off the glass. He's a remarkably gifted layup maker in the NBA, So all of that translates super well to the postseason. Yeah, one point zero seven points per possession, one hundred and forty one to one on one, so post ups and ISOs in the postseason. Again, that's a little bit below where he was in the regular season, but that's still very good. He shot sixty seven percent on layups and once again had like a dozen more of the most insane looking, slashing, falling, slender man layups that.
Speaker 2: You'll ever see.
Speaker 1: He was already a super gifted two way player with a ton of utility, but he added this other level of refined offensive skill, especially from the three point line, and then his work as a runner in transition fits so wonderfully in Indiana's offense that he has vaulted up to an entire different tier overall as an offensive player. You know, he kind of reminds me of Clay Thompson. And by the way, I'm not meaning this as like a player archetype, because obviously.
Speaker 2: They're very, very different types of players.
Speaker 1: But when I look back on this era of basketball, Pascalzimi falls into a tier like Clay in the sense that he doesn't He obviously doesn't have the on ball chops to be like the best player on a championship team. He's not a guy that kind of has the star power that some of the top guys in the league have. Neither did Clay, but he was tailor made the system he plays in. I think Pascal is literally a perfect fit in Indiana, just like Clay was in Golden State. They both have a ton of offensive utility as a number two within that system. Again, very different types of players, but within their respective systems immensely valuable number twos and then a legitimately awesome defensive player that carried a heavy load on that end of the floor. You guys, remember Klay Thompson used to pick up Kyrie Irving for entire NBA Finals runs. He was one of their best perimeter defenders. So kind of what I mean in comparing him to Clay, He's like a player that never is going to make it super high on player rankings list, but a guy that I'll remember very fondly from his era, like a guy that I have a ton of respect for, just as a winner, like I think Klay Thompson is one of the best winners of his era. I think Pascal Siakam is one of the best winners of this era. Pascal is a winner. He makes your team better and he falls in at number seventeen on this year's list, Number sixteen Jimmy Butler. Nothing says summer like long days, clutch plays, and firing off a few bets on the game, all with Draftking Sportsbook. As the season heats up, so do the bats. And DraftKings Sportsbook hats you covered with live betting, home run props, odds, boosts, and more. Whether you're chasing dingers or jumping in mid game, there's always action to be had. Never bet on baseball before.
Speaker 2: It's easy.
Speaker 1: Pick a guy to go yard, hammer some live odds mid game, or just ride your squad and hope for the best. Those spreadsheets, just vibes and dingers. My favorite guys to watch are always Aaron Judge and Show Heyo time, especially if you're betting home run props. Here's something special for first timers new DraftKings customers bet five dollars and get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets instantly. Download the DraftKings sportsbook Gap and use code hoops that's hops. That's code hoops for new customers to get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets instantly when you bet just five bucks only on DraftKings.
Speaker 2: The Crown is yours.
Speaker 1: Gambling problem called winde hundred ambler in New York called eight seven seven eight Hope and Why, or text hope and Why to four six seven three sixty nine. In Connecticut, help was available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit.
Speaker 2: CCPG dot org.
Speaker 1: Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino and Resort in Kansas twenty one plus. Age and eligibility varies by jurisdiction. Void in Ontario. New customers only. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. For additional terms and responsible gaming resources, see dkang dot co slash audio. Last year in review In review for Jimmy fifty five total games played, twenty five with Miami, thirty with Golden State. He averaged eighteen points, five rebounds, and five assists per game, one point seven stocks, one point four steals per game, which is a really high mark in the NBA. His efficiency numbers shot fifty percent from the field, actually the second highest mark of his career, fueled by Jimmy being fifty five percent on twos, which was the second highest mark of his career. He was just thirty one percent from three, which was a big drop from the previous year when he went over forty percent for the first time in his NBA career, but he attempted just one point nine to threes per game, which was the fourth lowest mark of his career. He did tick that up to closer to two and a half. When he was with Golden State, he was eighty four percent from the line on seven attempts per game. Consistently finding ways to get to the foul line was like the biggest thing that I think has allowed him to extend this phase of his career when he's lost a little bit of his athletic pop. He's very good at taking these kind of bizarre driving angles that veer into the defender's path that essentially force defenders to fall him. I talk about this a lot. Foul grifting is about understanding how the game is officiating in finding ways to force refs to blow the whistle. It's gamesmanship. Jimmy's really good at it, and with the Warriors, we saw it consistently serve as a means with both to generate scoring in the half court, but also as a way for them to set up their defense. Jimmy draws a foul, you go shoot a free throw, gets set up to play defense, and get back out in transition going the other way. It was a huge boost to that Golden State offense. Jimmy was a mediocre pick and roll player in the Golden State system, but a very good one on one player. He generated zero point nine to two points per pick and roll one hundred and sixty five reps. That's way below average. He just struggled to make shots. He went over on pull up threes. He didn't make a single pull up three the entire season with Golden State, shot just thirty eight percent from two out of pick and rolls. That was a big part of why his efficiency wasn't great there. But again, he was a monster on ISOs and post ups for Golden State one point one point nine points per possession including passes on two hundred and six attempts. We were just talking about Siakam being really really good on one point one point five. Jimmy another level even above that shot super well. He shot forty seven percent on his own shot attempts in one on one situations got to the foul line. It's son, this is I was like legitimately blown away when I saw this stat today. Jimmy got fouled more than one third of the time when he took a shot in ISO or post up situations. Think about how I'm saying that is Jimmy personally took a shot in ISO or in the post one hundred and three times with Golden State in the regular season. He ended up shooting a free throw thirty six of those one hundred and three times. It's unbelievable. That's a foul rate over thirty five percent. So as a result, his score percentage. Remember I used to talk about this concept with Yoki. Score percentage is just like if I throw you the ball down there, how likely are you to score on that possession at all? Whether it's one point, two point three point whatever it is. Generate a point for your teammates. What is the score percentage on ISOs and post ups. Jimmy was over fifty percent on both, So it actually became one of the safest plays for Olden State to call. Let Jimmy go one on one and he's either gonna score or he's gonna draw foul, and he's gonna generate points for you more than half the time. And this doesn't even get into the fact those are big picture regular season metrics. This doesn't even get into the fact that Jimmy was consistently able to scale up his offense to the superstar level when the situation called for it while Steph Curry was on the team. It got a little tricky when Steph went down with his injury, but in the last three games of the regular season when they were struggling for playoff position, averaged twenty seven points per game. He had twenty three assists with just two turnovers. He logged two stocks per game in those games, got to the foul line in those final three regular season games.
Speaker 2: This is crazy.
Speaker 1: Thirty seven times in three games. He had three twenty five plus point games in the Rocket series, including in some pivotal moments like Game four where the series was hanging in the balance. Jimmy had his lows, and he had his struggles when Steph Curry went down with injury. But I think the Jimmy Butler experiment with Steph Curry has generally been a resounding success. His defensive playmaking alongside Draymond was profoundly impactful their defense. The Warrior's defense was five points better per one hundred possessions with Jimmy on the floor versus off Like we talked about in the j dub video the other day, He's not the perimeter weapon that you can deploy on the other team's best player for an entire series like the way he was in the past. But he's still a super valuable like help side guy who like anticipates actions and blows up plays. I kind of you him as a defensive playmaker at this point in his career, and on offense, I thought he was the perfect counter to balance Steph. I'd love to see them get some more reliable scoring from the perimeter at the guard spot, but overall is a secondary star. I think he was a great fit with Steph. Brought strong bench play, reliable second side creation, he had the ability to scale up his scoring in big moments when his team needed too. Like we talked about, I thought he was an excellent active playmaker in the Warriors offense. When he would catch the ball in the middle of the floor with an advantage off of something Steph was doing, or running off of an off ball action, he would be able to quickly process there and make the right read and keep the engine flowing. And most importantly, this is arguably the most important thing out of all of it. Getting Jimmy Butler in the door reinvigorated Steph Curry. Steph was clearly frustrated with the lack of a supporting star on the roster over the previous years before the deal was made, and it affect his play. Before Jimmy ever played a game with the Warriors, they were below five hundred. They were twenty five and twenty six. They were eighteenth in offense, tenth in defense, sixteenth in net rating. Steph was averaging below twenty three points per game, below forty percent from three, and only forty three percent from the field. After Jimmy Butler suited up, they went twenty three to eight. The rest of the way, they were eighth in offense. So they jumped up from eighteenth all the way to eighth in offense, from tenth all the way to first, and defense literally jumped up ten spots in both categories third and net rating. And Steph Curry went from that twenty three points per game on below forty percent from three to twenty seven points per game on forty one percent from three and forty seven percent from the field. He reinvigorated. Steph Curry got him reinvested in the potential to win a championship. Now, Jimmy's obviously in a different phase of his career. Now, he's not the twenty three point per game guy that was the best player on multiple finals teams. He's been in the top ten on this list before. He's more reliant on foul grifting than he used to be, and just overall his savvy floor game to carry him on offense more than supreme athletic gifts. He's not going to go out there and give you seventy regular season games. I mean, hell, he didn't do that when he was younger either. He's done it twice in his entire career. But he is still one of the best playoff performers in the NBA. Because of his versatility on both ends of the floor and his wealth of experience, he immediately was able to step into Golden State and fill several specific holes in that roster that completely changed the dynamic of that basketball team, turning them from a team that was destined for another year outside of the playoffs looking in to a legit second tier contender with a puncher's chance to win the title. And who knows what would have happened if Steph Curry didn't get hurt. Now, this is the lowest that I've had Jimmy Butler on this list since I started doing it, but he still comes in at number sixteen. This year, Number fifteen Devin Booker. I think it's going to break people's brains that I have Devin this high. Why because how could two of the top fifteen players in the NBA play for the Suns and they missed the playoffs. I used to get the same argument with the Lakers all the time, But this is a classic example of how NBA basketball is way more complicated than it looks, and roster balance is vitally important to succeeding in the NBA. We've talked about it. The Suns had issues that extended far beyond the star power. The issue was, is they indexed more towards star power going after Bradley Beal instead of indexing more towards supporting talent, which is what they needed when they already had Devin Booker and Kevin Durant on the roster.
Speaker 2: It was a poor.
Speaker 1: Decision, a poor direction to take the franchise. First of all, it's worth mentioning when Kevin Durant Devin Booker both played on the same night for the Suns, they were thirty two and twenty four. That's a forty seven win pace, which would have put them right in that like seven to eight range in the standings even with all of the massive roster shortcomings that they had, and they had a positive net rating with the two of them shared the floor together. So it was a combination of the poor roster construction that we were talking about, the complete lack of high motor athletes and center play and all the things that they needed to be a functional basketball team, and the fact that they were just dealing with a bunch of bang up injuries that kept their best players from being on the floor together. So yes, the Phoenix Suns missed the playoffs, and I still think Devin and Kevin are two of the very best basketball players.
Speaker 2: In the world.
Speaker 1: Let's look at Devin Bookers last season in review. Devin played in seventy five games. He averaged twenty six points, four rebounds, and seven assists, just one point one stocks. He was one of three players in the entire NBA last year to play at least sixty games and to average at least twenty five points, four rebounds, and seven assists. It was him, Kid Cunningham and Nicole Jokic were the only guys that met that criteria. His efficiency, he was forty six percent from the field. That was his lowest mark since twenty eighteen. Thirty three percent from three the second lowest mark of his career if you dig into the numbers, and we're going to do it more in more detail here in a minute. But Devin talked about this in his postseason press conference. But he just didn't foot the ball well, particularly from the three point line, and that was the big thing that kind of prevented him from reaching the same efficiency marks that he reached at earlier points in his career. But he was thirty three percent from three, that was the second lowest mark of his career, eighty nine percent from the line, fifty three percent in effective field goal percentage, and still because he's got a super intelligent approach to offense with a high like a quality shot profile, and with the ability to take mid range shots and actually make more than half of them, he still posted, even on a tough shooting season, a true shooting percentage of fifty nine percent, which is really good playtype data. Devin Booker, still, even with poor shooting, was one of the best most efficient shot creators in the NBA last year. I think that Devin is one of the most underrated passers in the league. He was fifteenth in assists per game last year. I'm not sure people realize the type of high level playmaker that Devin Booker has become over the years. I don't think he's in that truly special tier of playmakers at the top of the league where you have guys like obviously Jokic and Luca and Trey Young and James Harden and Lebron James. There's a group of guys Tyr's Halliburton. There's a group of guys that has like that kind of like organic, natural excellent passing ability that that is something you're born with, and Devin Booker was not born with that per se.
Speaker 2: He's more of a natural scorer.
Speaker 1: But there's a handful of guys over the years in the NBA, at least in my time watching, that were natural scorers, but who became really high level passers, at least relative.
Speaker 2: To their peers over the course of their careers. A couple of examples.
Speaker 1: DeMar de Rosen, especially in the years in San Antonio, became a really high level passer for a guy who was a score first guy. Brandon Ingram He's a guy that, when he's healthy and in rhythm, is one of the better passing forwards in the league. Jalen Brunson is a guy who's become a very good passer despite being more of a score first guy.
Speaker 2: In his career.
Speaker 1: Damian Lillard became a higher level passer Jannison Tenna Kumpo in the last year or so. I think Devin Booker is in that tier as well. A guys who were, like I'd called him, like second tier passers, like really good passers that obviously aren't the organic natural like like from birth. They just just saw the floor differently than everyone else did.
Speaker 2: Type of guy.
Speaker 1: So all of that combines to make what I believe Devin Booker to be a legit second tier offensive engine in this league. By that, I mean he's not good enough to take mediocre players and make them an elite offense. But if you put him on a legit championship caliber roster, I absolutely think Devin Booker can be the best offensive player on your team, which, by the way, he nearly did in twenty twenty one when he came two wins away from getting the job done. Despite the poor shooting, Devin's playtype data was still excellent last year. Yeah, one point zero four points per pick and roll including passes on over twelve hundred reps. That's right there with where Kay Cunningham was, with where James Harden was, and again it could have been better. It was his pull up jumper that just wasn't there. Devin Booker last year shot twenty nine p on pull up threes in pick and roll. That really hurt his efficiency. We know Devin can hit those shots at a higher clip. He was off the charts on ISOs and post ups still because a lot of that mid range scoring. Right, he was the very best ISO player in the entire league. Last year, Devin Booker. Among the twenty three players to log at least two hundred and fifty ISOs, Devin Booker came in at number one with one point twenty seven points per possession including passes. He shot fifty four percent on twos out of ISO. He had a high free throw rate. He got to the free throw line fourteen percent of the time on ISOs and he passed well out of them. Good post up player two lower volume seventy four post ups generated eighty seven points about once a game. Right got one point one to eight points per possession. That's very very good, thirty three percent free throw rate, kind of Jimmy Butler esque.
Speaker 2: More pump fake base.
Speaker 1: He used a lot of pump fakes, but Devin Booker was a very very high free throw rate guy. On post ed he gave the ball to Devin on the block and he was gonna get to the foul in half the time. Really, he just needs to get that pull up three back. If you look at all his data, it's pretty good. He shot fifty four percent on pull up twos that's excellent. He shot forty six percent on unguarded catch and shoot threes, which is excellent. He shot sixty percent at the rim, which is excellent for a guard like him. Like for guards, anything over sixty percent is great. He just couldn't get his guarded catch and shoots so like contested catch and shoots and his pull up threes, those are the two ones that just weren't going for him. If he can get those things back this summer, his game should get back to where it was. And by the way, like I expect that to be the case for Devin, I expect him to shoot the ball better this year. He also turned himself over the years into a very dependable defensive player. He doesn't have the tools physically to be like a downright disruptive defender, but he competes hard and he has good attention to detail, both on the ball and off the ball. He's very competitive. He's got that fire in that willingness to do the work, especially in big moments. I think he's a legit point of attack option preferably is your second best. You don't want your best offensive player to be the primary point of attack guy. But if he's guarded the second best perimeter player. That's a really, really good role for him defensively, and he actually filled the primary point of attack role for Team USA and their Gold Metal run if you guys remember correctly, and like when we zoom in on the playoffs, this guy is flat out one of the very best playoff scorers of our generation. In forty seven career playoff games, Devin Booker is averaging twenty eight points per game on sixty percent through shooting. That's insane, and he's super dependable, even in the last two disappointing playoff runs where they got sent home in the first and second rounds by Denver and Minnesota. In those playoff runs, he was at thirty two points per game on sixty eight percent true shooting sixty eight percent. I think Devon's become one of the more underrated players in the league, mainly just because of that flawed roster construct in Phoenix and people's inability to see through that. I think if Devin gets picked up at some point elsewhere where he can be the second best player again on a team while having a quality group of role players, I think he's going to hoist the trophy. I know It seems hopeless right now because of the leadership in Phoenix, but I still think Devon has a very good chance to win a champion, to win a championship in his career. He's like a super easy plug and play guy too, Like you could talk him into any spot anywhere in.
Speaker 2: The league and he would fit beautifully.
Speaker 1: He can play off the ball, he can drive closeouts, he can run action and pick a role. He can play one on one. He's a versatile defender that can play on and off the ball. He's just a very good, very well rounded basketball player. I genuinely believe he's gonna put somebody over the top someday. I have a feeling that twenty years from now I'm looking back and talking about this era, I'll be talking about Devin Booker as an NBA champion. He's a super efficient, efficient, high volume score He's one of the top fifteen passers in the NBA. He's a solid point of attack defender, a freakish competitor, and one of the most reliably great playoff scorers in our era. And so he will lead off the top fifteen for US this year. In this year's rankings at number fifteen, all right, guys, It's all I have for today is always sincerely appreciate you guys for supporting us and supporting the show. We will be back, I believe, on Friday with our next mail bag. Remember this mailbag is one that I pre recorded because I'm in Alaska. So if you guys disagree with any of our rankings on this video, drop him in the comments and we'll get to it next Friday when I get back from Alaska. In our next player rankings mail bag, we will have on Monday fourteen and thirteen. On Tuesday twelve and eleven, we'll have that mail bag, and then erxers me on Wednesday twelve and eleven. Then we'll have that first mail bag that I'm talking about, and then we'll go back to the top ten and we're taking each player on that list one out of time from that point forward through the rest.
Speaker 2: Of the postseason.
Speaker 1: I will see you guys on Friday, m