Speaker 1: This is live coverage of the twenty twenty six Steelers training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by your neighborhood Ford Store creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, First National Bank. Let's Get Started Member FDIC West Shore Home Remodeling Reimagine by Leecom Digital, Donz Appliances Visit Donzappliances dot Com guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery, CGR Wholesale and Hossa's Steak and Seahouse hass Is is hospitality.
Speaker 2: Good evening, Steeler Nation, How we doing well? That's good us too. It is our number three, the Bonus Hour here as we roll into Thursday evening and the Steelers second day of training camp proceeding second practice. They've been here for three days, but we kind of count the days and in terms of practices. And you know how we're gonna kick off this hour, Matt, it is by getting to the tweets and our buddy Michael Edesso passing this along. We I mentioned I'd love to see the numbers of Ohio state wide receiver contracts just over the last two years, Jack and Jackson Smith and Jig but four years over one hundred and sixty eight million.
Speaker 3: I think he's top of the market right now.
Speaker 2: He has the number one. Yeah, Chris o'lave four years, one hundred and thirty two million, not bad. Garrett Wilson four years, one hundred and thirty million, I.
Speaker 3: Forgot, he already did get extended.
Speaker 2: And Terry McLaurin three years, ninety seven million.
Speaker 3: You forget about McLaurin sometimes in this max. He's a little older than the other group. He's a third round pick. He wasn't a top twenty pick.
Speaker 2: Like he's like the only Ohio State guy that wasn't a first round pick.
Speaker 3: Right. But think you said to Buka is on the on the war path coming up here, and you know Tate and I mean they got tons of them.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, Jeremiah Smith might be the first overall draft pick next year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he'll be first quarterback take non quarterback taking for sure.
Speaker 2: Chris Henry's son, Chris Henry Junior, who he's a Onster recruit, right, I think he's I think he was the number one recruit in last year's class.
Speaker 3: Daddy was talented.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes he was, he sure was.
Speaker 3: I watched Daddy at WU and I was with the Brownies.
Speaker 2: I watched Daddy at WU when I was knee high to a grasshopper. No, I mean I was like twelve thirteen, four year and so on topic. I think I was in middle school. Oh yeah, that was kind of like right the start of really becoming a sports fan. Steelers were kicking booty WVU was actually good. I didn't realize how good I had it at the time. I tell you. Matt tweets us and says, do you guys have any concerns about Rico Dowdell in pass protection? Could he be two one dimensional? In sort of a tell to the defense worried about him blocking for the quarterback who's a little bit older.
Speaker 3: Yes, I do. I think that's his number one negative and doesn't mean he's only going to be out there on first downs, but it has been a problem throughout his career at two different stops. Obviously, McCarthy is familiar with him and probably won't put him in those situations, but it definitely is a tell. I mean, when defense is no, you're running back is not. I don't want to say capable. I mean, because Dowdell's capable. It's not like he's just out there with and left and right. But if they know it's a problem, you're going to get more blitz, you know. But I also think Rogers helps alleviate that stuff too, you know, and Frasier at this point being smart just changing protections to try to A huge thing with pass rush schemes right now is trying to isolate backs against linebackers. But if you can defensive ends and edge rush shorts, you know, anytime you can isolate a running back, it's in the defensive advantage. Even if he's the best pass walking back in the league. Well, Dowdle's going to have more of a struggle with that, and Rogers might have to help them in terms of moving them around pre snap or setting them up to have easier matchups. But I want people to be aware. I mean, none of these guys are perfect players, and that's definitely one of his biggest negatives.
Speaker 2: Whereas for Jalen Warren, that's something that I think is actually a pretty very underrated element of his team. And I wonder if that ends up. I wonder if that ends up kind of being the difference in I don't think there's going to be a huge difference in this guy clearly RB one and this guy's clearly RB two. They're both gonna get a lot of spin, both gonna get a lot of reps. But maybe that pass pro stuff will be what important makes Warren more more usage than Doubtell, because it is very important. Not especially yeah, right, especially lev Bell was a spell a stud at it, and especially.
Speaker 3: Every down backs you better be more than capable in.
Speaker 2: Protection, especially when your quarterback is forty two years old. Yeah, you know, and and isn't Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson in terms of mobility back there, It's certainly gonna be something to keep an eye on.
Speaker 3: As for Dowbdell, I don't know how much we'll I don't think we'll see backs on backers. I don't know how much protection stuff will actually see here in Latrobe, and I don't I'm my hunches. He won't play a ton of snaps in the preseason either. I would think that it's gonna be Caleb Johnson and younger backs. I wouldn't think Warren and Dowbell you need to beat them up at all. In the preseason.
Speaker 2: Would like to see a lot of Caleb Johnson in the preseason. Pittsburgh Conversation asks, could the attention to detail that my McCarthy has brought to camp just be the missing ingredient needed to make a playoff run?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 2: I hope so?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Right right?
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, you, you and I have laid this out. There is no perfect way to coach. There is no perfect offensive or defensive scheme. There is no perfect level of physicality or lack thereof in training camps. If there was a perfect way to do it, everybody would do it that way if if it was, he sure did there is uh, you know, it's it's funny, Matt, I always you know that phrase. There's more than one way to skin a cat. I don't know why we have to skin the cat, right, I'm not even a cat guy myself, but I don't need to skin the cats. Let's leave the cats alone and let them do their thing exactly exactly, exactly right. I'm good on all that. Let let the cats be. But you know, there's more than one way to peel a potato. I'm sorry, I don't know. I guess it works, but there really Isn'telle. You could go from the tob or from the bottom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but there's really only one way to peel bit.
Speaker 2: I think you're right. I think you're the potato.
Speaker 3: You can go a lot of different directions.
Speaker 2: You certainly, you certainly could. I think the attention to detail, but really the attention to keeping these guys healthy matt to me. You know, to me, that feels like what could be the kicker. We talked a little bit about the fourth quarter defense struggles earlier in the show Brutal, as we mentioned a few weeks ago on the drive, you and I really dove deep into those numbers and they were not great. And he tweeted us and said, I won't soon forget your all's discussion about the Steelers fourth quarter defense. The numbers matched what our eyes were telling us, but it was still painful and sobering to have it quantified.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's the numbers were worse than what our eyes were telling us. And did you look back? It was that bad.
Speaker 2: And maybe that's the kind of attention to detail aspect of this. Of Hey, when we get to fourth quarters, particularly in you know, holiday season, late November December into January, when you're making that playoff push. We need these guys fresh, We need these guys you know, peaking at the right time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, then we wouldn't I mean not to reiterate it, because we will talk a lot about it a lot, but I mean going forward, But there's numerous reasons in my opinion why the fourth quarter defense flat out failed. One of them was being on the field too long. Definitely, lack of adjustments. One of them could be conditioning, slash age. And if you could maybe get better in two of those three areas great, I mean, there's almost nowhere to go but up. In terms of the fourth quarter defense.
Speaker 2: It was the numbers were drastic, they were jarring. They were the worst in the NFL. And yeah, if you go back, if you go back into our podcast feed into the last couple of weeks, and you want to find that also on the YouTube page, Matt did had some great numbers in terms of the Steelers fourth quarter defensive struggles. And that's one of the things every every offseason, you know, we've discussed points of emphasis for this team and not just oh you got to find a franchise quarterback, like real tangible you need to get back towards the top of the league. In sacks, you need to improve your yards per carry.
Speaker 3: Those are our two big ones we harped on last.
Speaker 2: Year, last year, this year, fourth quarter defense man has to be has to be better. And you know, you and I laugh normally when people say things like, well, it can't get any worse, but it.
Speaker 3: Always can always get worse.
Speaker 2: But it almost couldn't for the Steelers in terms of how bad that when you're last in the league, chances are you're going to go up, obviously, yes, but I do love when people are like, can't possibly be as injured as you were last?
Speaker 4: Are you?
Speaker 2: Certainly?
Speaker 3: This league's pretty rough.
Speaker 5: It's pretty rough, Yes it is, Ian says uh tuning in late so sorry if you guys already discussed this, But how has the offense looked so far under Mike McCarthy's new system seems to have a little bit of an air and out feel so far, and I dig it.
Speaker 2: Thanks, love you guys. Yeah, it's still early doors in that conversation.
Speaker 3: And they're also not going to work on the run game here, mashing people. You know, I mean not that you won't work on the run game, but you're gonna do more route concepts and stuff like that in this environment before the pads go on.
Speaker 2: Too too early to say, I do think it's too early to say.
Speaker 3: I think Growman Wilson's look good. I think Jeremy Bernard's look good. I mean, those are new additions that you're happy about.
Speaker 2: You know, Jeremy Bernard's a fun one to be keeping an eye on out here, because I think we're going to continue to see him get more and more on his plate. And how will he respond to that? Matt says, Hey, guys, happy training camp. Is there any chance that Joey Porter Junior could get franchised next year? Also, what do you like better? No red lights on the way to work or no red lights on the way home from work?
Speaker 3: I don't really work both.
Speaker 2: I don't really work, he says. I would say probably on the way to work, because you know, I'm usually cutting it a little tight on razor thin margin.
Speaker 3: I don't want to be late.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be late. Yeah, you know, I'll get home when I get home. Although it is nice both ways.
Speaker 3: But that is a card in the Steelers back pocket. If they can't get a deal done, he will be up for free agency. I'm sure he won't like it. Nobody does. But it's also not the worst fate in the world to get X amount guaranteed is a top five corner that if he is an awesome season or a good season, or is playing like he is now, he's good enough to franchise. I mean Benton for example, I'm not picking on him, but he could have a real good year and he's not going to be franchise worthy. Porter could be franchise worthy.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, yes, I would be hard pressed to find a scenario where Joey Porter Junior is not a Steeler in twenty twenty seven, right, whether it's a contract extension, whether it's a franchise tag, it would have.
Speaker 3: To be something crazy like bad blood exists through this contact extension and he demands a trade or something crazy like that. I mean, I'm really reaching here though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, absolutely, it just it feels inevitable in some type of some type of regard.
Speaker 3: However, through two practices, his starting replacement of Sante Samuel's really shined. Oh yeah, he never gets talked about. But I mean, with all these corners out, Samuel's thriving.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, absolutely me tweets us and says doctor Wes and Professor Matt how we doing. Here's my biggest camp question for you. If you had a Godzilla sized Steely mcbeem versu a Godzilla size pirate parrot vers a God's Deli sized Iceberg, who wins and what's the finishing move?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 2: Well, I like Steely mcbeam's chances if he's especially carrying around the steel beam.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some of these are very formidable in the mascot world, though, be like the.
Speaker 2: W W wrestler who comes into the ring with a chair, you know, and and just starts taking four had two by four Jim or whatever that sound. The iceberg, you know, could take his skates off and stab somebody with it, so he would have that going.
Speaker 3: For I would say in mascot world, though they're low on the list, there's there's gonna be some tougher mascots out than those three. Steele's kind of muscled.
Speaker 2: Hold on, hold on, are any mascots, I mean, you know, are any mascots intimidating and scary?
Speaker 3: And I think that kinds there like a San Jose or I'm sure there has to be tigers and lions and scary.
Speaker 2: You know some of those SEC schools they have real animals as their mascot, Like l s U has an actual tiger that sits there. You know, Texas has Beavo and yeah, Colorado has the Buffalo Bulldog and yeah there's the Georgia.
Speaker 3: Ugah.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's right. Ugah. Nate says, with you guys doing so much radio throughout training camp, how do you keep your voices fresh?
Speaker 3: So I did read that. I've never done one bit about that, you know, like I do that podcast with Peacock every morning. Yeah it's a morning for him because he's on the West Coast and he's like a professional radio guy. I guess I am too, But I've never had any training. Like he went to you know, school to do these things, and he does like exercises before because it's the first thing he talks all morning. Like he's got a young son. He's like, well, you're the first adult I talked to every day. I talked to my my not infant, but like five year old son. So I gotta warm my voice up. I'm like, I never do any of those things. You know, do you care one bit?
Speaker 2: I so you'll laugh.
Speaker 3: I've never got an issue.
Speaker 2: I never had an issue, and you know this, and I think I might have shared this with our audience a few months ago, but you know this, I never had an issue until a couple months ago.
Speaker 3: I didn't know if you were gonna bring it up or not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, back in back, it was around the NFL draft time for whatever. I had vocal cord inflammation and it was weird, and it was every day Matt and I. You know, it was like a couple of weeks where Matt and I would do the show and I'd be driving home and I'd be like, not like I was in a crazy amount of pain, but I'd be like, why is my voice so sore? Discomfort is that is the term that I would use. I'd say, I'm almost I had to do pregnant zone, which is a steroid for a couple of weeks. Like they told me to drink a ton of water, drink a ton of tea. Just give it time, you know, rest your voice. This time of year when you can type thing, it's it's so much better now than it was a few months ago, but it's still from time. Like yesterday, you and I did five straight hours of radio today and and and last night, like I I had a throat laws enge and you know, some stuff like that. So I would say I pay a little more attention to it now, but I never used to until a few months ago.
Speaker 3: I'm almost never on the air. I'm never on the air without either coffee or water in front of me. I maybe that helps, but I don't do any I don't give it any thought ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I didn't either, like I said, until a couple months ago when I was kind of forced to. But hopefully that was just a little just a little roadblock, and it won't be won't be an issue moving forward. All we're going to get to a break here in this hour. Maybe we'll get to some more tweets as we roll along. I do want to, though, hear a little bit from Broderick Jones. He spoke today for the first time about that neck, about the new look coaching staff and offensive line. As we'll kind of continue, you know, it's just been an offensive line day here on the program, highlighting the big guys and making tungching Wolf happy in the process too. Matt, we'll hear a little bit from Broderick talk a little bit more about Broderick and that O line. When we return here in our bonus hour of the Drive, West Shuler, Matt Williamson, It's all happening on the campus of Saint Vincent College. We are at Chuck Nolefield and Fabulous Latrobe. It is the Drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live Cobry Chup Dot twenty twenty six, Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by your neighborhood, Ford Store Creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, First National Bank. Let's get started, remember FDIC West Shore Home Remodeling re Imagine by Leecom Digital, Donz Appliances Visit Donzappliances dot Com. Guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery, CGR Wholesale, and by Haas's Steak and Seahouse. Hass Is his hospitality.
Speaker 2: Back on the Drive here as we roll along in the bonus hour, There's been a lot of offensive line conversation on the show today and really these first couple of days. Matt, it's a big X factor for the Steeler's success and the guy who might personify that the most. Maybe not necessarily for the overall unit's success, Matt, but certainly for him in a crossroads year and a crossroads moment is Broderck Jones.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I think he could reach his immense ceiling and wow, what are we gonna do with them now? Contracts up, he ends up being your starting right tackle or maybe factors in a guard and what I've seen through two practices he's only aligned at left tackle as a backup, but subject to change. Who knows.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And obviously we were all encouraged that he was here and ready to go after that scary neck injury back in was I think early November when we were in Chicago there at Soldier Field in that loss to the to the Bears. Roger Jones speaking today talking about his neck, his recovery, this new look coaching staff and offensive line. Here's what the big man had to say after practice. How you feeling good?
Speaker 4: Good? Glad to be back with the team. You know, I'm knocking the rust off.
Speaker 6: It's been a long time since I've been out there on the field with the guys, so you know, I'm just glad to be back with him. Well, the biggest hurdle for you, the biggest hurdle I'm getting back here and healthy. Probably just the conditioning part, like on the back end of like rehabing stuff, like trying to get clear knowing we're coming back to camp, Noring's gonna be hoigh, you know, just trying to because I wasn't doing nothing for like I would say, like three months, three or four months, so you know, just trying to get back in shape, hitting the gym hard, you know, just enjoying, enjoying the time out.
Speaker 4: Here with the team.
Speaker 2: So were you ever concerned?
Speaker 4: Were you ever concerned this was gonna be a career ending injury?
Speaker 6: Yes, and no at first when it first happened, just because of how serious it was. That was that was my first like serious injury ever, like, so it was it was kind of an eye opener for me. But you know, now, I know talking with the team docs and talking with doctor doctor Oh, he did a great job. He said, the MRIs and stuff are coming back great. So you know, I'm just trying to continue to get better.
Speaker 4: It was a pretty serious rember, know I did it.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, no, like yeah, it was after the MRI, I like they made me go the following morning, Like after after the game, I felt fine. I told like, I went in the next day and I was telling Gaye like, this is the best I ever felt after a game.
Speaker 4: And he was like, I don't know how because you're done. I'm like what. But you know that's how that conversation went. But you know, for the most part, it wasn't.
Speaker 6: It was a shock, but you know, God always has plans for us, so you know, it's it's nothing that I can't overcome.
Speaker 4: I just got to continue to battle through it.
Speaker 3: You're trying to replay of it, well, I mean, it looked kind of like.
Speaker 4: A freakish injury on this It did, but it didn't.
Speaker 6: At the same time, you know, we're all out there playing football at the end of the day. I'm not saying it was a dirty player or anything. You know, I just feel like you wanted to make a football play and you know it's just wrong place at wrong.
Speaker 4: Time type type scenario. So you know, I gotta be better, you know, having my hands up, not not shooting for you know, leaning and stuff like that to prevent things like that.
Speaker 2: But you know, it's football.
Speaker 4: It's a physical game, so those things around that happening.
Speaker 6: That's my biggest folks, that's my biggest focus on my technique and my strength because at the end of the day, that's all.
Speaker 4: It comes down to.
Speaker 7: Did your eyebrows raise when they drafted masks and were you?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: You know, it's a business as you just said. You know that it's new player.
Speaker 6: You know, I was in the same situation when I came in and Dan was here, so it was the same way. You know, it wasn't It wasn't really a shock for me because I was hurt. You know, you never know what the future hole. So you know, it's a business decision on their part. You know, I just got to continue what I can do for the team and then just try and.
Speaker 4: Continue to show up and get better.
Speaker 6: You both. What are the conversations done, like with this coaching staff about hid for you, just just continue to get healthy, you know, that's that's the first thing. That's the main goal, because if I'm not healthy, you know, I'm not gonna be out there. So uh but that that was like the main focus for them, you know, just talking to me like, don't try and rush it, you know, because anything can happen, so you know, just take me your time and actually like listening to the points that they're giving you and.
Speaker 4: And just implementing them into your day to day. You be a starter again this year, I believe happened. What did you feel when it happened?
Speaker 6: It felt like a stinger. It just felt like a stinger, honestly, down both arms.
Speaker 8: And then.
Speaker 4: That was that was honestly about it. It went away. Probably it took a little longer to go away than usual.
Speaker 6: I think like the stingers didn't go away until we got an a tent and then it was kind of like, uh, that's why they took me to get an X ray and then.
Speaker 4: They pulled me. So right, you played both whit and left tack. I've been doing that since I've been here, so right, Yeah, So what.
Speaker 2: Is what is your focus right now?
Speaker 4: Is it just getting open wall technique back?
Speaker 6: Yeah, just wherever the team meets. You know, as as I just got back, it's only my second day. You know, I'm not trying to rush trying to get back into the starting lineup because you know, it's it's it's things and and plans in place for that. So you know, I'm just trying to stay the course.
Speaker 2: And you know care what side you.
Speaker 4: Work on and you're gonna Bemily on the right or.
Speaker 6: The left, you know, not really, So you know, at the end of the day, I gotta work both. I gotta be able to play both because you never know. Troy can go down, I can go down, Max can go down. Anybody can go down, So you know, we all have to be prepared to play both sides.
Speaker 2: As Roger Jones there speaking after today's practice, and you hear some of that, I mean almost I would call it vulnerability, like him talking about how you know, the disappointment and some of the uncertainty around that neck injury. I mean, Matt, Even for an average person a neck injury is a massive deal, but when you play in the trenches, in a violent position and a violent league, that's something that rightfully so I understand the uncertainty, the concerns of like, am I ever going to get back to where I want to be? Is this gonna not only affect my NFL career but for the rest of my life? But it sounds like so far, so good, and he is on the right path and maybe even a little bit ahead of schedule.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is all very promising. The one thing I wanted to mention though, is he does look lean. I mean, he doesn't look like the three hundred and twenty pound guy that you drafted. And frankly, he's smaller than Darnell Washing and Georgia Buddies. You see him walking around, you would think Washington's the tackle and Jones is the big tight end. And I'm sure the neck injury had to really hinder some of his weight stuff, you know, I mean some of these.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think anytime you go dry serious surgical procedures and all that, you're you're not eating and doing all the typical stuff that you normally would. But all the best of Broderick and hopefully we'll have some champagne problems on the offensive line, Matt, where you've got more than five guys that are that look the part, Yeah, and go along way with that. They certainly could, certainly could. We'll have our final segment of the day. We'll wrap up the day's proceedings when we return. It's all happening here at Chuck Nolefield on the campus of Saint Vincent College and fabulous sunny lay Trow, Pennsylvania Westchhuler Matt Williams said, it's the Drive. Are part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage up the twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by your neighborhood Ford Store creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, First National Bank. Let's get started remember FDIC West Shore Hole remodeling reimagine by Leecom Digital, Donz Appliances Visit Donzappliances dot Com guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery, CGR Wholesale and B. Hass's Steak and Seahouse.
Speaker 2: Hass is his Hospitality, final segment of the Bonus Hour, Final segment of the day here for our day two coverage at Steelers Training Camp, Weshooler Matt Williamson is the Drive and Mike McCarthy a lot of man just different, a training camp of change here certainly. Yeah, And with that, we're hearing from Mike McCarthy every single day, which has been fun. He kind of you know, outlines the day's proceedings. The standard operating procedure of how he wants things to go out out here pretty precise to man, very precise, very detail oriented. Like you mentioned, if practice is supposed to go until twelve forty six, it goes till twelve forty six, not twelve forty five, not twelve forty seven. It reminds me, Matt of one of our favorite movies to quote Monty Python in The Holy Grail when they are lobbing the Holy hand grenade at the at the Killer Rabbit, right, three shall be the number of counting, and the number of counting shall be three, not two, not five. Three. Here's what Mike McCarthy had to say on day number two.
Speaker 9: Hey, you said the other day, Mike, by your feelings by tackle a camp? How you know, I know, do you wig with the veteran team and how do you think about it? Maybe installing physicality if you don't tackle in camp.
Speaker 8: Or yeah, I think there's so much the football I think when you have a definition of having a physical camp, I feel I have great confidence of just let's just get to the end of the camp and you can you can grave my camp. So you know I've tackled before in camp. Uh, it's it's a risk assessment decision. The fundamentals of tackling we work every day, so I have confidence in that. I mean, the option of tackling and goal line, it's it's it's always a conversation. You know, there's years I've done it, there's years I haven't done it.
Speaker 4: It's it's a hard.
Speaker 8: Drill to do. I think there's more brought it up yesterday, So that's that's part of it. But there's there's so much more that we can do in that area to emphasize that, you know, the long stride, short stride, the specifics of how the fundamentals are being taught to the the you know, the approach to strike, the wrap to finish. Uh So these are constants that are taught, you know, throughout you know, our our whole our whole team, you know defense obviously special teams and our offensive players that play special teams. So it's a it's a primary fundamental. We call it the Steeler six. You know, we have six fundamentals of Steeler football of emphasized. Obviously, tackling and breaking tackles is one of those six. So those six fundamentals are emphasized daily. We have a period just fourteen fundamentals to emphasize that, so, you know, doing it for a long time, I have great confidence and frankly, evaluating the team last year, you know, I think that's definitely I would say, is an asset, you know, moving forward. So it is a veteran team. But we have preseason games too, you know, so that's that's always part of it. Who plays the preseason who doesn't, So I mean, all those things are discussed, and I think that's why I'll continue to say there's a systematic approach to everything we do. You know, we have a plan, but the plan has proactive adjustice that it gives us in a systematic mindset.
Speaker 3: You share the other five?
Speaker 4: Do you share?
Speaker 8: The other five have ball security obviously taking care of it, extracting it. Ball security is number one. Blocking obviously, sustaining break you know, obviously getting off blocks, already hit tackling about big plays as the fundamentals. You can't win in the National Football League without big plays just you know, each game. If you look at the league average average is about thirty six a game. So uh so you get you got it. You gotta emphasize it. The finish, the pursuit and finish. UH is clearly a big part of that too, But in one that we you know, spend a lot of time in, particularly because the way we have to train more than everyone else season is the mannerisms. Mannerisms in disguise is a big part of pro football. I think it's particularly coming from the quarterback position. You know my history, you spend time there, but you know the games evolved that way. We're both sides of the of the ball are doing it a lot more here and seeing it more in special teams. So those are the six, you know, fundamentals of still the.
Speaker 4: Football is it?
Speaker 7: Are you on the tackling end, yes, was any part of evaluating the team and last season and what you saw and they mis tackles that showed up that went into your decision to not have live tackling this year, Like any concern about Rosco.
Speaker 8: Teams, there wasn't anything anything from the l this UH end of season evaluations that affected the way we trained in the team today. You know, it's a it's a clean slate for everybody, coaches and players. You know, the teaching environment that you want to create. I feel good about it. We're off the good start. I think I think we hit the target in the spring. We're doing some things here in camp that you know, we have we have you know, a talk through, a walk through type thing in a gymnasium. So that's been very productive last today. So the teaching environments is clearly there, and then the you know, the competitive nature of the practice.
Speaker 4: Environment will improve.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 4: Obviously we're doing we're.
Speaker 8: In shells and protective shirts again today. You know, we're on the clock. We'll emphasize two minute again.
Speaker 4: Today.
Speaker 8: You'll see you know that, you'll see the two minute team go today. We're still we're still hitting the end of the game. Talked to that yesterday. We got some end of the game things we're looking at, uh just because you know, finishing the install coming out of spring, and we'll you know, always have a fundamental sections and so forth. So you know, we're working in accordance uh to the you know, the CBA with like everybody you know, and I think practicing and helmets and shirts, you can emphasize things more on the perimeter, you know, ball in space and those types of things, and that's what we're doing.
Speaker 2: Like when that two minute emphasis at the end of practice yesterday at the hearing was you got four seconds different down in distances starting points? Just what's kind of your.
Speaker 5: Mythology methodology behind that and what do you guys kind of gain out of some of that chaoticness and going.
Speaker 9: Through those plays?
Speaker 8: Well, big, a big part of the game of football is you know, the understanding of time clocks, you know, and you know and particularly when you talk about the two minute situation. I mean, if you look at a seventeen game season and the really numbers haven't moved a whole lot in my time in the league. You know, on an average of seventeen games, eight games a year on an average will come down to the last series. You look at play a football almost it's probably even closer to ninety ninety five percent of the games come down to the last series. So those those the things I look at. So when I'm when I'm putting together a training regiment, so the opportunity to win games. We're the Pittsburgh Steelers, you know, we're gonna get everybody's best shot, so uh so maybe ours will be ten eleven. So that's how I evaluate it. That's how I when I look at the training how we're gonna set up the practices, the reps, the quarterback school. Obviously, I think we all start somewhere as coaches. You know, my starting point was, you know, the quarterback room. So uh, that's I trained the team in a lot of ways. How I learned learned you know, the training of the quarterback position. And I think you know and then you take it down any either further into the science of what every play represents, like today when the emphasis in the team meeting today was the anatomy of a play, you know, and the pre snap is the first part of a play.
Speaker 4: So everything that goes on in the pre.
Speaker 8: Snap up until the ball snap, you know, the specifics, the mannerism, disguise, that's why, that's why it's it's a fundamental, uh, the cadence, the substitution patterns, you know, the ability to get to get this personnelity and quickly in the red zones. So you have to practice all those little things now because it's going to show up in preseason games. It's going to show up when you get out there for the first time with the ninety maninion rosters. So so you got the pre snap, but then if you go if you watch as you watch film, you study the film, you'll see in the first two point three seconds, that's really the actually, that's the execution battleground. That's where really the play gets established in the first two point three.
Speaker 4: So that's another time block.
Speaker 8: So and then above two point three two point five, now you get into extended play. Okay, so now we're talking about extended plays, which is what big plays, big play opportunities, which is another still er fundamental. So that's that's the way my brain works. That's the way I've learned it through the as of a quarterback in my time this league, and that's why we train our team. So all our situational emphasis, you know, really is broken down every specific play and how we can train in those in those little segments in our and hopefully, as I expressed this, you know, hopefully hopefully you see that in our practice structure.
Speaker 4: It seeming you get a pretty aggressive caseence in terms of how the plays get called the practice. How did you come to that? And can you push that too far? We're going too fast loses some things in some other areas well.
Speaker 8: Everything's calculated, everything is regulated, so you know, there's obviously science behind it. You know, we're we're in tune with the conditioning of our players.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 8: The commandment that players made in the spring was was evident, you know, and I like, I like what I've seen so far, what they've done away from here, particularly the men that you know got together in their individual groups. So my point is it's showing up. Yeah, So it's it's all this is all by design. There's history behind it. So we're learning each other's you know there everybody has a genetic you know, you know background that that that you pay attention to. Some guys can rev higher than others. And so this is part of the process. You know, we meet, we meet up, meet, we meet on it daily, so we're aware of that. And but yeah, it's clearly design because you know, you go back to religious talk about the pre snap.
Speaker 4: You know, we need you.
Speaker 8: Everybody talks about the physical and the mental you know, stress of a of a physical camp. Well, what the hell about the nervous system? You know, who's training that? You know, how you how you tapping at, how you pushing that, where you getting that at? Where's the mental toughness, where's the emotional toughness? How do how do you train that on? A football field. So that's this is all by design. I mean, that's and like I said, a lot of a lot of my ideas, a lot of my approaches, you know, the systematic things really comes from the days as a quarterback coach.
Speaker 2: Early on.
Speaker 5: But I know, I know it's early on in general.
Speaker 2: After day one, what did you see that you liked? What did you see that you didn't like?
Speaker 4: After what practice?
Speaker 8: We were on time and we finished on time, so we won't we're in compliance with the CVA rules. You know, m I say that with total sarcasm. I think that, you know, the big thing there was I I liked the way they came out of the meetings, they came out of talk through. You can see that they had they you know, they were sharp. Now the execution part we got. We got a ton of work to do. I mean we that's that's what training camp looks like. And then when we get pads next week, pads are not going to be consistently low enough. And so I mean we look, you know, it looked like a normal starting day. You know, I really is trying to watch the individual players, particularly in the fundamental work. You know, that's usually where my eyes go, you know, to see to see if they're you know, closing that gap with the veterans. So but I thought we got off the off to a nice start. It's been about eight years since you've last coached Aaron.
Speaker 2: What's it been like getting reacclimated with him and how do you feel like both you and him have changed.
Speaker 3: And evolved over those ears.
Speaker 4: Uh, it's been fun.
Speaker 8: I mean it, you know, personally, it's it's it's been awesome. But you know, the big, the big, big thing is really for him and I is how we're connected and engaged with everybody else. It's it's I'm not I'm not as concerned about being on the same page when and it's make sure and the whole group is connected, you know. You know, conversations that you know, him and I have are on the level of a coach, you know, uh, leadership level coach, so as far as how we want to play, you know, getting connected to the particular young guys in the perimeter. You know, I feel really good about what he's already has established with the offensive line and the tight ends. You can see that. You know, obviously him and d K. I thought they showed some big time things, you know, just in the OTAs so but it's it's it's really it's really the younger guys. And frankly, we got new coaching staff, so I mean that's that. You know, he's worked with some of those guys, and you can see the relationship with James Camping and and and the guys he's worked with before. But just getting that all connected just because you know, once again, we you know, we we we want to be a master of our offense, you know, and play the right way.
Speaker 4: We're not.
Speaker 8: We don't want to be jack of all trades and try to you know, run a little bit of this, run a little bit of that. You know, he knows me and he feel he thinks the same way. It's got to fit together. It's got to line up at the end of the day, every offense I've ever coordinated, and that it'll never change. It's built around making a quarterback successful and that's that's the design of it. No one knows it better than he does. And then we just got to make sure we get that thing lined up and get the reps all right, thank you, that'll.
Speaker 2: Do it, Matt. We hear from the big man, Mike McCarthy as we see the Steelers getting into the walk through portion of the day's proceedings. The mental side to close down today for the Steelers and that will do it for us. Matt here on our second day of training camp coverage. Well, we will be back on Friday. We'll be back on Saturday as we roll along throughout these acclamation days. Thank you, Matthew. Great stuff today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's always It's been a good start to camp for sure. Weather and luck going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, big, big thanks to Mike the Fabo of the Athletic for stopping buy in the first hour talking about his Mike McCarthy story. Make sure you check that out. It's it's free to view, and it is just a really great profile on the Steelers new head coach, how much it means to him to his family and the weight that he carries of the loss of his brother while he has the great honor of coaching his hometown football team. Thanks to Mike the Fabo for joining us. Thanks to Ed for producing here on site, Justin for producing back at the ranch. Take care everybody, and we will talk to you tomorrow. As always, you know where to find us. It's on your twenty four to seven, home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network