Speaker 1: Earners.
Speaker 2: What's up.
Speaker 3: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like The checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds. Odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run, and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most Ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank, a lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, but understanding of professional's routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 2: We always talk about in our space as entrepreneurs, taking that imperfect action before you made that decision. One of the things you're contemplaying is it do I have to hit this financial globe before I do it? Or I've done enough to put myself in a position where if I want to take this leap and say this is where my values is, this is where my purpose is, I can go. What was that moment like for you as you're processing it?
Speaker 1: No, really good question. I think that moment was you know, obviously a very difficult decision, right I think everybody's telling you, man, it's the unknowns or tons of unknowns, the world's and chaos. But I had a mentor told me one time, if you have a fallback, you fall back. And I think at that moment in time, we were so purposeful and we were so passionate about the work that we were going to do, and we really felt we could change circumstances, we could change the world, and so the challenge from a decision making standpoint wasn't as overwhelming because we believed it was divine, it was our God's calling, and so from a decision making standpoint, it wasn't that hard. And we always knew I always could go back to law right, I could always be a lawyer. I could always go back to that law from environment. But I said, there's a few moments in your life that you can really take a leap and believe in yourself. And that was that moment.
Speaker 4: So let's talk about Africa. And you said, you've done a lot of work in Africa, and that's something that you know, I think a lot of people are interested in. We went to Africa, we went to Egypt, went to Nigeria, but specifically Ghana, went to gone On two times this year and we are working on some business out there. So the opportunities is endless. But a lot of people don't know where to start. So talk about can you walk us through your journey on the continent, Like where did you start, how were you able to scale, what challenges did you have, and what do you see the future of entrepreneurship?
Speaker 1: Yeah? No, So number one the power of partnership. Right, you can't do anything from a business entrepreneur standpoint without partnerships. And so I mentioned my brother was the cof of Fortune five hundred company proorst launching the Burns Brothers. That company happen to be a company called Conduit, and Conduit's the largest call center company in the world. My brother had thirty eight thousand employees across sixteen countries. But them we're in Africa, and so these are his real relationships. We got into Africa through a partner he had known and took us to South Africa about ten years ago and said, hey, I want you to meet these guys are doing great work. And the work wasn't necessarily call center per se. It was call center, but the work was providing opportunities for black people. I don't know if you all know, and those general vs. Gentlemen probably know, the unemployment rate across the kind of Africa for skilled Africans is outrageous. And these are young, talented, hard working people that just have done all the right things. They've gone to school, they got the degrees, but no opportunity comes to them. And so we thought, what could we do, not thinking of it from like a business standpoint, but from a human being standpoint, what can we do could change those circumstances. And so we became partners in that organization with the premise that we had American company relationships that we could drive business that would create jobs and opportunity. And so look at a lens of advocacy, a lens of like cultural change and impact was ultimately was the driving force. But then obviously from a business standpoint, through that we were able to build more busines, this relationships, and then through that we built war business relationships and grew the company across the continent. And visa that company, we're able to now open our membership club HQ in Nairobi, Kenya in four months. And so God is great, the blessings are abundant, but I think it's always leading with the lens of advocacy first and impact and then the entrepreneurship kind of second.
Speaker 4: What are some of the challenges that you face out there, Because we were out there, we saw a tremendous opportunity, but there are challenges, like even in Ghana they lost power for two weeks, and that's something that we can't even imagine something like that happening in America. But what are some of the challenges that you've been facing as an entrepreneur in Africa?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think technologies one. Infrastructure is one for sure. I think I don't know, cans up how many people in the room of bench of the continent? Okay, so a few people. I think that's one. I think sometimes just the level of liaising across the whole New side of the world from like an employee standpoint can be challenging too. One thing that's oftentimes I thought it was going to be a challenge but it's really not is the level of understanding of American culture across the kind of Africa. It's it's unbelievable. And so that was a pleasant surprise how much they embrace American culture. And there's so knowledgeable American culture. I think too, in some parts of Africa, there are specific things that change, just like the United States, with whatever administration is in office and right. So I think that can be a challenge to making sure you navigate the political landscape. But I think those are evolving and I think those are changing for the better. And I'll say, and I've said that for years now, Africa is not the future, Africa as the present. And I think from an entrepreneurship standpoint, you think about black people in this country, if you're not focused on what that connectivity looks like from an entrepreneurship standpoint, from the outreach standpoint, with the kind of Africa, you're doing yourself a disservice and you're doing the business of the disservice.
Speaker 2: It's interesting, you know, you got the hqg See house and most of us, you know, who travel and been to places, we've seen these type of houses. We've seen solo house. So I think it's brilliant that we have one that's ours that we can call our own. From a membership side, but I want to talk about the intentionality and maybe it was done very intentional. Right, you had it in DC you could have done it in New York, maybe Miami, Houston, Chicago, but you chose Notiroby talk about that because when we think Nairobi, and most people if they've watched like The Avengers, they've seen Nairobi in a film. But the tech center that has become the hub that it's become for East Africa, what was the intentionality in choosing specifically that place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a number of different factors went into that. So number one, as my brother mentioned, it's an economic hub brief East Africa, and it's actually the only African country that has a strategic partnership with the US. So from like a connectivity standpoint with the US, that was important, right, And we knew that trajectory of Kenya specifically and specifically Nairobi. I'm based upon just being there so much, knowing the government, knowing their focus, and I'm understand the vision of the US partnership too, and just the way that it's being kind of placed as a singapore of Africa. So from like a trade and economic hub, all that made perfect sense. And then me and my brother, we've always been focused on Africa and like we wanted to be those conveners, those conduits connecting African Americans in this country to Africans on the continent, because we believe that we can never really realize our true potential if we're not connected with all the amazing people across the continent. So those were two things, and then the third thing was we wanted to think outside the box. It's easy to go to uspace like you know, Detroit, or go to New York, or go to Atlanta. It's not easy, but it's easier, and I don't think the impact would have been as large. And I think for us, we're all about impact. And I think doing something and now creating what you brothers are doing too, you're creating opportunity and you're facilitating communities that people could never be a part of unless you were all were providing that facilitation. And so now us opening the membership club in Nairobi, not only can our members probably experience something that can never have dreamed of experiencing, but now we can introduce Nairobians to our members. And it's just a beautiful thing to be able to create a space and facilitate community that you're actually not only driving change, you're driving pure impact.
Speaker 5: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christinem, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned and deported, you will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 4: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security,