Speaker 1: Scaled, Come Robbaby and Frill Scared, Come.
Speaker 2: Robby and froll Cab Goddess. What's Popping? Congregation is Schagirl Lacy mostly aka scam Goddess and Guys, I'm so I always say what do we say? Say it with me? I'm so excited for today's guests, but for real, y'all, Okay, this is the first time that we've had a repeat guest. Uh the one the only I think for the whole season, this will be the only repeat guest. Guys. She is the Emmy nominated hilarious queen, one of the amazing hosts of Nailed It. You love her podcast, Why Won't You Date Me? You love her podcast best Friends, you love her and everything that you freaking see. This is Nicole Byer Guys, what's up, Nicole Lazy?
Speaker 3: What a beautiful intro. And I love that you tell people to say things with you because I would love to see someone like in their car just being like just talking with you, feeling themselves.
Speaker 2: I love it, right. I feel like, especially now, podcasts are like you're just kind of talking to yourself, So I want you to feel like I'm talking back, like what did I say y'all so crazy. We would just had a moment, so y'all get to keep that. Well, we've talked about scams, Nicole and your relationship with scams, and yes, yes, yes we talked. I remember you telling me that you've you've fallen for some scams, right, have I fallen?
Speaker 3: I don't know if I fall I scammed. We talked about me scamming my dad.
Speaker 2: Ohkay, yeah, we did talk about you scamming your dad. I thought it was a scam that you fell for. Maybe I was wrong, Maybe I was wrong.
Speaker 3: Maybe I don't remember, and I'm trying to rack my brain, but I mean, I just bought a shitty bike from a shitty company, and I think that that was a fucking scam bikebury dot com. I got very drunk and was googling bikes and you know, they paid for those ads to pop up first, so I clicked on that paid for ad. I found this purple bike that like said it was a cruiser, But then I got it there was a hole in it. So then I took a picture there was a hole in the box, and I sent that picture to the company and they were like, oh, well, the thing that's poking through the box was there just in case there was damage to the box during shipping. I said, well, I don't know if I really want to open the bike and like figure out other stuff wrong with it. And they were like all right, and you know, bat on me for not reading their return policy where it's like you paid for the ship and back. I don't know how much shipping is for a fucking bike on my set. You know, it's probably probably it's a heavy it's like seventy I don't know, not seventy pounds, sixty pounds, forty pounds, I don't know. And then you pay like a fifteen percent restocking fee. And I was like, so I'm still gonna be out like fifty sixty maybe eighty on this two hundred dollars bike. I might as well just put it together. Put it together. This thing is so fucking janky, like the gears just twist around. And I didn't put it together. I can't do that shit.
Speaker 2: I had a man, did you put it together? I was about to be like, okay, this is that. That was the scam right there.
Speaker 3: You put the bike together, had a man put it together, and he was like he followed the directions to a tea and we could like the gears just spin. It is such a shitty bike. So then I post about how shitty it was and they're like, well, we started a return for you, and I was like, yeah, but I also told you I was gonna open it and see how it was. And I opened it and this is a piece of shit bike. I'm very entitled to that opinion. And I'm like, so now you want me to disassemble it, put this fucking shitty ass bike back in the box. You want me to pay fifteen percent? No, I'm just gonna donate it. Jacobaizaki was like, you should donate it, and I was like, oh, yes, so I might be able to use the frame because the frame isn't bad.
Speaker 2: The wheels are bad, the handles are bad. I thought you were saying you're gonna donated to a place where it was like gonna be some little keyd riding this junky ass bike. I'm like to go that right.
Speaker 3: Imagine I donated to like kids and need a bike and then they die on this Bikeberry dot Com bike.
Speaker 2: Also, I feel like a bike is something that most people buy in person. Am I crazy? I feel like this is very ambitious of you to like buy a not a do it yourself bike.
Speaker 3: I know, I know. It was very ambitious. I thought I was getting a good deal. But you get what you pay for. Uh.
Speaker 2: John was like.
Speaker 3: My roommate was like, yeah, you have to go sit on the bike and see it in person.
Speaker 2: I suck.
Speaker 3: All right, I give up, I'll go I'll go sit on a bike another day.
Speaker 2: I think that's the right choice, because look, I won't even do a sour dough starter. So you are very brave. You are very brave to buy a whole bike in a box. It's my bike and a box. It's a bike and my box. Oh goodness. Let's get into what's hot and fraud. I need to name Nicole for this person. Mm hmmm. This person probably identifies as a woman, but I don't care. You can it can be any name you want in the world. Okay. I love that you're really giving this a lot of thought.
Speaker 3: Okay, you just just a name, just a name for a person. Okay, let's call her Teresa. What a basic name? You did all that, I think all that time, and I came up with Teresa. No, she'll sh Shamika. That's my cousin.
Speaker 2: I like, I know some Shamika's. They're nice, most of them. They can fight. Can your cousin fight? Does she does? She look like you can fight.
Speaker 3: I think Shamika could take you on on a fight.
Speaker 2: She's tall.
Speaker 3: Oh, Okay, she's a tall woman.
Speaker 2: I've never met a Shamika that couldn't fight, so that that's just something they're skilled that. Okay, it's not the wrong with that. So Shamika says, I did this scam a decade ago when I was a young, broke adult and it worked out well at the time. Okay, she says, in my state home state of Montana, Smika. Okay, Shemika is definitely white. I just looked at the Google photos said also, she said my homestate of Montana, and that made me shoot my eyes back up to the photo because I was like, yeah, is there black in Montana.
Speaker 3: I went to Billings, Montana once, and to get to Billings, Montana, I think I flew to whatever their capital is or whatever their big city is, and then got on the tiniest fucking plane to get to Billings and the black flight attendant looked at me as I got on the plane and said honey, you going to the right place.
Speaker 2: And I was like, well, if she's asking, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Then I got there and I was like, m now I know why she was.
Speaker 2: She was worried about me. She started smiling and the tears came. Yes. She was like no, no, no, no no yes, she was no, no, no, Get get off the plane, get out. I feel like you went to one of those towns where like they have a popular sign and then it like goes up when you get there.
Speaker 3: Yep, uh huh, I goes right back down when I left the next day.
Speaker 2: Were you there for work or something? Why were you? Okay?
Speaker 3: I was doing a show at a college. College shows have truly taken me to the wildest, most racist, smallest towns I've ever been to.
Speaker 2: And it's funny because they hired you. Correct now, now, I'm you are very funny and you're very talented and very beautiful and the cole But part of me wonders if they hired you because they were like, this is our one chance to lay eyes on a black person. We're gonna have to pay them, but they will come.
Speaker 3: A lot of campuses are pretty liberal, like you'll be smack dab in the middle of like Confederate flag country, like I was in Arizona, got off the plane, tons of Trump flags. This is in twenty fifteen, and like, you know, Confederate flags. I saw like a people of swastika somewhere and then got to the campus and it was like hippy dippy people with like neon hair, and I was.
Speaker 2: Like, what the fuck did I do.
Speaker 3: It's so it's like once you crossed over into the college, they're like higher learning, We're inclusive, we want to love everybody. So but also maybe it is just to see a black one one time.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it was because you're very funny, but also I'm sure afterwards they were like, Wow, that's what it's like, guys, a black person. Oh my god. Did you do meet in person?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I usually do meet. They got to talk to you. They did. They did.
Speaker 3: In one college, a woman gave me lotion and I was like, is this a dig?
Speaker 2: I was like, am I?
Speaker 3: I guess I'm notoriously ashy. I always post pictures and I look so ashy. And it was a white lady and I was like, oh no, if they know, no, not if they know.
Speaker 2: Look, white people don't know about ashness. They don't know about it, but I will say that Jaquith says that it's racist when people don't have lotion in the bathroom because black people need lotion after they wash their hands. So maybe maybe she was just trying to help you out.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe she was. She was like, there's no lotion in Billings, Montana. Not one Walmart carries a single drop of lotion.
Speaker 2: White people do need lotion. They do, but they don't know that they need it. Oh you know what, now it's their chance, y'all lotion. Everybody needs it? Yes, everybody. Wait, here's the indication. Okay, I think this is gonna be indicative if she was being shady. Was it like a fragrant, like a nice lotion or did she give you some jargons?
Speaker 3: No, it was actually very nice lotion. I cannot say the name of the company. I've been laughed at before. Leoctane lost Oh my.
Speaker 2: God, yep, no, no, no, no, listen. I didn't know either. I had a boyfriend in college and he spoke fluent French and one time I was like, oh, I love Octane was.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, luxititumb that's so I'll never remember that name luxit doom.
Speaker 2: What a treat lux it dom rolls off your tongue though you're giving me face, remember it? Well, No, that she was trying to flegs. She went and got you some good lotion. I think that was a shade. That was a shade.
Speaker 3: Okay, she was being nice, all right.
Speaker 2: So back to Shamika, who was definitely white. She says, in my state of Montana, we have a quit line you can call for free anti smoking items like gum and patches. I took it upon myself to call the quit line and have the short conversation about my smoking habits. They agreed to send me the patches, and every two weeks I need to have a fifteen minute conversation with them to check in on how I'm doing. That's interesting to me because it's like, if people want to quit, then why do I need to Like they're like, oh, hey, yeah, you want to quit. So how was this week? How many cigarettes did you have? How much to like, how much tobacco did you lick on?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What is this conversation? Lick up? Well, quitting is very hard.
Speaker 3: I've tried to quit smoking, uh no, less than four times, ten times one hundred times.
Speaker 2: Uh, and it's hard. I will say that I was never into smoking cigarettes, but for a four month period, I was jeweling like I was a fifteen year old.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, you just puff on them inside. It was that's so wild that you weren't a smoker, but you were like, but jewel, I'll do that, tell.
Speaker 2: Me because you know, we do comedy and we'll be outside of bars and shit afterwards, and you know, you have a few drinks and then people would be like jeweling and I'd be like, sometimes back in the day, I would like bum a cigarette. So it wasn't like a big deal to like, you know, do that. So I was like, oh, shuel. Then I was like, oh, it's not sanitary, just like puff someone else's jewel. I'll just go grab my own for whenever. And then I meg up and the call, I kid, you not jewel pods everywhere like fucking chargers everywhere. And I didn't know when I had become this person. I had a jewel charger in my car, so I really plug it in my car and keep the jewel charged all day. I had no idea idea that I was so ridiculously addicted to it.
Speaker 3: So the commercials are real when there's a team that's like it started with one puff and next thing I knew my life revolved around jewel.
Speaker 2: I was sucking dick for jewel, like it.
Speaker 3: You know, that's when times it was rough, when you were sucking dick for a cigarette or a jewel.
Speaker 2: They're not cheap either, And those pods are not cheap. How much are those pods? Those pods? Depending on what story you're going to, some stores will really rip you off and they'll be like thirty five for a four pack, yam, and then some places it's twenty seven for a four pack.
Speaker 3: Damn. You know, I missed the days where you could share a cigarette with a friend or drink after a friend.
Speaker 2: Never again, Never again.
Speaker 3: We was fucking nasty now, like you know, like now that I think about it, like I kind of like wearing a mask, especially like working, because like people get so close to you, to mike you, and now it's so nice that like we're not breathing on each other.
Speaker 2: I think it's great. I also think it's a wake up call to people who had hot ass bread and we can never tell people that they breath hot, Like can we normalize telling people that their breath as hot as fuck, because there's people sending my eyelashes off and now I know they gotta smell that. They gotta have it own, not just right back up.
Speaker 3: And there I was at a protest and I was like, oh no, I think I have bad breath. And then so she was like, did you wash? When's the last time you washed your mask? And I was like wash.
Speaker 2: But now I'm in it. I'm in the game. I realize it's like.
Speaker 3: Clothing, you gotta wash it every couple of days.
Speaker 2: So I'm in it. Yes, I've had I've had to go out with a funky mask once or twice and I was like, this is fucking torture. Just it's awful scarce.
Speaker 1: God.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so, oh my god, I've never admitted. Am I gonna maybe I'll cut that out. About the duel thing. I don't know if I'm ready to tell you guys that I was doing that, but I was, I was. I guess I'll be honest. I mean, you don't have to. Don't do juil. You don't want the information out there.
Speaker 3: I rarely talk about smoking because people look down on you so much and they're like, just quit it's not good. And I'm like, you don't think I know we're in a pandemic and I'm hiding in my house because I'm more susceptible.
Speaker 2: To like I have bad lungs. I know, I know what I've been doing, right, And it's like and people, but that's what Maybe this will be a cautionary tale for someone out there. Guys, don't jewel. Don't jewel, it's bad. Don't jewel. Don't start. Don't start, No for real, don't start.
Speaker 3: It's like I had to learn how to smoke. I'm not an inherent smoker, so I would like sit in my garage and like inhale and then cough and then slowly inhale halfway hold the other half in my mouth.
Speaker 2: It was why for what?
Speaker 3: And now it's you know, twenty dollars every couple days, just so I can get my little fixed.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's a thank you, Big Tobacco. That's a scam, right, oh, the biggest, one of the biggest. It's crazy that Big Tobacco also pays for all the ads that warn you about cigarettes. Because that's like doy, that's like they're rule, like there are a thing with the government is like Philip Morris, like they have to pay for those ads. They pay for the truth. Yes, with the little black kids like I would never smoke because I can't let my hood down. And now we about to dance play basketball? Why are those commercials like that.
Speaker 3: That? I mean, yeah, black commercials. Sometimes I'm like, who did this? Was it a black person or is this a white person projecting what they think black culture is.
Speaker 2: If you want to see a TV show where you can very much tell where everyone on it was white who was writing for the black people? I highly recommend In the Dark. I think that's what it's called on Netflix. That's the show about the blind woman who becomes a detective. They don't even.
Speaker 3: Sound right, but I'm not being ablest, but maybe I am being ablest.
Speaker 2: I feel like that would be just a real uphill. Bad it is, and that's why the show was fun to watch, because you're watching her like she's impressive, but then she she saw in the murder of her her little black friend who saved her once from a mugging. But he's a drug dealer. But like he's clearly a British actor and the whole thing is written by white people. You can just tell that they never they'd never heard of drug dealers before they did. They probably watched the wire a little bit, and we're like, I can do that.
Speaker 3: I once did a McDonald's commercial where McDonald's, you know, perhaps to them, they have a whole website four black people. It's called McDonald's three sixty five and they and it's like they talk about black history all year round.
Speaker 2: But I that's.
Speaker 3: How, you know. But I did this voiceover. It was me and uh two or three other black women, and I don't remember if I had auditioned for it, but they were like, all right, let's go for it. And my line was don't steal my French fries. So I said don't steal my French fries, and they were like can you? And then I was like, sass it up. And then the other women laughed and I was like.
Speaker 2: Don't steal my French fries.
Speaker 3: And then the other women sounded just like me, and they were like a girl, that's my call.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna keep it in a French fry year.
Speaker 3: And then after all three of us did it like that, the whoever, I guess it was, whoever, like the producers or whatever, the buyers were like, Okay, let's just go back to your normal voices. And I was like point made. I like, I love that we made that point because it was like, if you want a minstrel show, that's what you can have, or you can have like just three black women talking.
Speaker 2: It was why I'm gonna take that with me because that is an excellent wage. Not who's also like, why are the lines like y'all getting robbed? Your bet don't? Because I know you, like what why are you getting robbed in this commercial?
Speaker 3: So sheher has a pretty good joke about it. I can't remember. It was like the Black Blinds to Go where it was like.
Speaker 2: You can't see in my house.
Speaker 3: It was based on a commercial. And then I have a joke about McDonald's and how my god. Sometimes they're just like my baby daddy took me to get a mc rib and I was like they both back and You're like.
Speaker 2: What fu fuck they go back.
Speaker 1: I'm leaving.
Speaker 2: I'm leaving. I have to go home, and I'm at home, So guys, what a wild tangent. But to wrap up Shamika White Shamika's letter, uh huh. White Shamika says after she would have her conversations where she talked about how hard it was, and actually we just talked about how hard it is, and so I understand these conversations now. She said, I received all three stages of patches, not sure how many in total, but as soon as I got them, I put them up for sale on eBay, and I had no problem selling them for thirty or forty dollars a box. I know I made a few hundred dollars doing this, and eventually I just ignored their calls and quit getting the patches. I'm terrible, signed Shamika. Just in case you forgot what we were talking about when we went on these tangents. I did Shamika maybe never smoked cigarettes, or if she did, she didn't quit, or she just called the quit line, got the very expensive free quitting materials, and then she went to eBay and she slanged them.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't knock the hustle.
Speaker 2: I really don't, Shamika. I fucks with you like I think, come on in Montana. Yes, get it, Shamika.
Speaker 3: I think Shamika is an entrepreneur.
Speaker 2: Yes, she's a what are they calling when you're a woman entrepreneur? A entrepreneur. I thought we had a word for that, do we were? We just put her in it or something? Entrepreneur?
Speaker 3: Entrepreneur truly sounds like something wrong with like a herniated disc.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh disc. Yeah, you're right. It's not very motivating, don't. We don't need that one. So this is my favorite segment of the show, Historic Hoodwinks, where I will regale Emmy nominated Nicole Byer with I just have to sprinkle it in like seasoning a.
Speaker 3: Little bit, because honestly, it truly is such a wild thing.
Speaker 2: Who would have thought I would have? Who would have thought? Black Queen? I love it. So I'm gonna regale her with the Historic Hoodwink and we're just gonna get her thoughts and opinions along the way. Today we're talking about a man named Jonathan Walton, a producer on American Ninja Warrior. That's that show where the athletic people hurt themselves. Yeah, and they do an obstacle course, so you watch it hoping that they fall. Yes. So he was conned out of nearly ninety thousand dollars by his best friend. Gonna put that in quotes Mayor Smythe mayor claimed to be a royal Irish heiress waiting to inherit five million euros.
Speaker 3: So wait a minute. If I ever met somebody, if I ever met somebody who was like, just see you know, I'm an heiress and I'm gonna inherit five million dollars, I'd be like, so you good with money?
Speaker 2: I don't have to give you shit, right, good, you're about to get it. But I'm about to get it though, girl, Like, I just need the texts and fees.
Speaker 3: No, don't worry about it. You can pay for all that once you get your inheritance.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna I'm gonna tell you some things that are gonna make more sense as to why maybe this worked on him. Okay, So the first time that Jonathan, who was forty five, met this woman who became his best friend and turned into his worst enemy, obviously, she was offering to help with his building's pool. So Walton lived in a bunker Hill apartment complex in downtown Los Angeles. Where is bunker Hill here? I don't know where bunker Hill is, but it says downtown LA. I don't live down there, so it says they lost access to their stunning pool. Amid a dispute with another building. These are a Champagne problems. So we're like, we lost the pool. Also, what do you mean to dispute with another building? Y'all was fighting that building. I really want to imagine people punching brick, but I know that's not what's happening. So when Walton, an earnest and animated former news reporter, held a meeting about the incident in his living room, about thirty people showed up because they're trying to get the pool back. Guys, I guess. So that meeting is where he met forty something year old woman with jet black hair in a pixie cut. Ooh, she's a manic pixie dream girl who soon took charge of the conversation. She was dressed in pastel colored clothes, shoes that looks high end, and she spoke with the slightest trace of an accent, which I'm assuming is an Irish accent, which is a hard accent to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did you just like a trace of I would think it's harder than just fully getting into it.
Speaker 2: The only think saying I want the pool to come back.
Speaker 3: I don't whoop whoop wood.
Speaker 2: That was really good. That was better than anything I could do. I literally went to They're magically delicious, like I could never they.
Speaker 3: Stole me like of charms and took away at my pool.
Speaker 2: Well this worked. Also, I feel like he must have equated her just casually wearing pastels as someone who's like rich. I'm trying to think. I don't see a lot of people, just like unless you're at Coachella, you don't just see people who are walking around in full past not like head to toe in pastel.
Speaker 3: But now I'm thinking about maybe I gotta get more pastel in my life.
Speaker 2: Right? Is that how I shall people?
Speaker 3: I'm a real fancy holl is me like I got manny I'm wearing lavender?
Speaker 2: Maybe because I really don't see it that often. So. She said during her conversation where she had taken over that she was a luxury travel agent and her boyfriend was a prominent real estate lawyer. She said that she had sued their own apartment complex a couple of times, and one, oh, how do you ever needed to sue your apartment? Well, I mean you live in a house, but when you lived in an apartment, did you need to sue them?
Speaker 3: No? No, no, no no. Although my landlord. Oh maybe I talked about this last time. My landlord was running a scam, so he was like, you can give me or the super your rent. And then a couple of years down the line, there was a note on the building that was like, do not let Lewis in the building. He was in buzzling money. And then in the paper we were like, oh shit, Yeah, he was like in buzzling money and send his kids to private school, which I was.
Speaker 2: Like, you know, that's nice. That's a nice kid. You know that's nice. We need to children, let them lead the way.
Speaker 3: Yes, but no, I've never had to sue my apartment. I don't pay rent. I never paid rent on time. This is the first time in my life where I've paid my living expenses on time because it comes out of my bank account.
Speaker 2: Oh right, because it's like auto withdraw. Yeah, I'm childish. I won't that, and I know that I could withdraw forever and I'd probably be fine. But I every month, I just get the email and I begrudgingly go over there and like hit the payment button. And I don't know why I do it. I think I get like high from it. Sometimes I'll wait because I only get till the third. I don't even get till the fifth before you get a late fees. So I'm like, you only get to the third third, girl, they don't play.
Speaker 3: My apartment in New York, when I finally moved out, I would also never pay rent on time. I would pay like three months at a time. After the three months, and then when I finally moved out, they were like, your last month of rent is due. And I was like, that's why you bitches have security and they're like, no, the security's covering all your late fees.
Speaker 2: And I was like, I don't.
Speaker 3: Live here no more, so I this is pay dable.
Speaker 2: You really are a scammer. She was like, that's why you got that deposit, but bye mate. So she's very charismatic. She's bantering with the neighbors. She sued the building a bunch of times. I imagine her going to like Judge Joe Brown suing the apartment building. I hope that's where it happened, and her story is that she in time would also mention that she was palsed with Ashley Judd and show him a closet full of allegedly thousand dollars designer shoes and share that she had a psychic gift. Now, I know what you're thinking. If you met somebody and they were like, hey, I'll be sawing my apartment buility every other Thursday. I own thousand dollars shoes. Ashley Judd is my homegirl, and also I'm a psychic. Like, if you heard all of that at one time, you would be like, bitch, what's going on?
Speaker 3: I would be like, I should stay away.
Speaker 2: From this fucking person. This is too much. But they were friends for four years before she scammed him.
Speaker 3: Honestly, bravo, this is bravo.
Speaker 2: What a long time, right. I was very impressed. So I get how over the years, if you have a casual conversation, like my homegirl would be like, girl, you know I'm a brew ha, And I wouldn't think that's crazy. I was like, yeah, you're a brewha. But I know her for years. I was like, sure, you're a brewhaw. She hasn't asked me for ninety thousand dollars yet, but beware, right, but she has shown me some nice clothes, she is friends with some famous people, and she's a brewhaw. So technically I already know somebody like this I'm just saying she worked it in a way. I was like, all seems legit seems normal. So she unwound her story over many many meetings, like we were just talking about and later on, in a visit to her apartment, Walton glimpsed at a small frame printed on what Smith said was the Constitution of Ireland. So it's her last name is Smith. So he looked at this frame and then he was like, what is this And he was like, oh, this is the Constitution of Ireland, you know, casual hanging in my living room. She said that her great uncle had signed it, she explained, pointing out his signature. Later, she said that the same great uncle had just died and stood to inherit. She's sit inherent part of his twenty five million dollar euro or excuse me, a million euro inheritance, which is about twenty seven point five million dollars mm hmm. So, in keeping with her image as a wealthy and worldly heiress, she occasionally showed Walton texts and emails from her friends, like Ashley Judd, whom she had met in college. Ashley, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, truly that her name is dragged all over this.
Speaker 2: Also like, is she like read labeling somebody's number in her phone Ashley Judd and texting her fribubly.
Speaker 3: But also what a wild person to pick no shade to Ashley Judd. But she's not well, I guess, honestly, what a smart peck because she's not super famous. But like we all know Ashley Judd's name.
Speaker 2: Well, didn't Harvey Weinstein her career? I think that's why Ashley Judd, girl, I could be absolutely wrong about that. Let me say allegedly allegedly, and by allegedly, I mean I thought that. But last time I came on here and I said that Michael Jackson's song at the end where they go Mama Sam and Masada Mama Gusa, I was like, it's actually words, guys, it means I'm gonna keep going on. I'm not gonna stop. I'm gonna keep going. I definitely don't anybody that was true And they're like, no, it's not.
Speaker 3: That is I love that you just up on her lying of people. People be telling their friends facts that they learn from Lacy and then they're like, girl, that's not it, that's not no, she's lying to you that.
Speaker 2: The scam facts are true, guys, we researched. I swear, but anything that I say off the cuff could be a lie. But it's not a lie. I believe it. I remember. That's how the truth works. I taught you at.
Speaker 3: That's what I honestly believe.
Speaker 2: So due to her family's money, she said that she didn't need a job, but preferred to keep busy, working for luxury tour operators uh sure, Pacific Islands dot com and later as a psychic. In the time Walton knew her, she also had several plastic surgeries, including what he recalls as a nose job, a breast enhancement, and some LiPo section. She's an LA girl. Yes that lay snatched gating lip fillers. Uh huh, y as you do. She's she's a housewife. I love it, not mad at all. So they have this really close friendship. He opens up to her her about his family and about his sexuality and how some people didn't accept him. She understood how painful alienation from family members, could be, she said, revealing that her cousins were trying to get her disinherited the drama, so she showed him nasty texts and emails from these cousins, especially one named Fenton, who occasionally wrote in Gaelic. Walton was enthralled with the family drama, so she basically was like, I wouldn't be surprised if this was like all the plot of several Tyler Perry movies that she is see.
Speaker 3: She puts, I'm gonna do my own. I mean, Tyler doesn't take too much time to produce them. I think she took more time to produce a Tyler Perry movie then Tyler takes to produce his own. To produce these emails, you might be right, and I'm not being shady, because he very quickly shoots seasons in the matter of weeks, and he does which is wild.
Speaker 2: And I know actors who work for him, and they work very hard. It was like shout out to y'all because who long days, long long days. And wigs the wig wigs on wigs on wigs, the wigs. Just if you could manifest struggle into a hair piece, those wigs. They're rough bub run. So basically, she moves to a new loft and they call each other all the time, tell each other that they love each other. So now let's get into her inheritance by April twenty fifteen, homegirl had come to Walton with tears, cats skating down her face, asking for a loan. So the first loan that she got was for forty two hundred dollars. Then she came back and says she needed another fifty eight hundred dollars to pay rent at her new loft, which is crazy because she had an inheritance.
Speaker 3: Right yes, and she's a psychic, so she didn't see it coming, and she didn't move before she couldn't afford to pay it.
Speaker 2: She did not move before she could afford to pay it.
Speaker 3: Okay, it out.
Speaker 2: She said that her great uncle's will contain a claw stating that anyone with a convicted felony would be exempt from the will. Walton voiced his fears that Smith's cousins might frame her to push her out of the will. So this is one. So in twenty fourteen, walton speculation seemed to come true. He received a collect call from a detention facility that Smith had been arrested on charges that she had stolen about two hundred thousand dollars from Pacific Islands dot Com, which is the travel agency that she worked for. So she basically sold this his life, like, my cousins are setting me up. That call that you got from jail, that's fencing in them? Was it in Gaelic?
Speaker 3: I mean this is exhaustly honestly, the amount of work she put in, she could have just gotten herself a job.
Speaker 2: This is this is work, this is what. That's the thing about scamming. People think scamming is not work. Scamming is an employment. It's a profession. I'm honestly upset that scammers can't get unemployment right now because they have been self employed. And you know that's something we need to work on. H they won't. They need they stimulus too. We need a scam.
Speaker 3: Stimulus for robbery.
Speaker 2: Okay, how you gonna be doing robbery when everybody in their house?
Speaker 3: Truly, I was just thinking that the other day. I was like, how do you rob a house if everybody is home?
Speaker 2: So, just like hairdressers can't do hair in person, robbers can't do their normal robbers exactly. So everybody's really hurting right now. So I feel for I feel for my I do. So cut back to She's crying to him, like I need this money. I gotta go down to the Attorney's office because they done froze my bank accounts, the LA District attorney froze my coins up because they think that I did this robbery at this job that I definitely worked at, But really was my cousins who had set me up. But for some reason the jail called you. But it was my cousins who had put me in jail from Ireland. This makes sense.
Speaker 3: I mean, the favor that he felt for that is so wild.
Speaker 2: She was thrown a lot at him at once. It was probably a lot to process, yeah, you know, and he's like, but that's my pastel friend, right, and she he came out to her about his lifestyle like she accepted him. So they had an emotional relationship. So it makes sense. So he wrote her a cashier's check, which those are the checks that.
Speaker 3: Go that's money that's liquid.
Speaker 2: So he agreed that. She said when she regained acces to her bank account or received her inheritance, she would pay him back. In the meantime, she moved back into Bunker Hill Towers for a relatively cheaper rent. With a case still ongoing, she asked him for another thirty eight hundred dollars the next month, for rent. Over the year, as it passed on and dragged on, with Walton receiving frequent updates, she was still asking him for money. So in September twenty sixteen, she finally came and just really got the bag. She said that, Hey, they're gonna give me a plea agreement for this money that I didn't steal from my job, that my definitely my cousins had framed me from a different country. Great plea agreement. I'm getting fifty thousand dollars and served jail time, but I'm gonna need fifty thousand dollars from you.
Speaker 3: And this man gave her fifty thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: He forked over nearly sixty thousand dollars. Yeah, and he also loaned her two thousand dollars for the lawyer to help her avoid eviction. Because then she wasn't paying rent.
Speaker 3: Then what was she spending the money on. This man needed to ask questions. I would be like, what how, No, he didn't ask a six so he just had sixty thousand dollars laying around. This man is a smart man to have that much cash, Like, well, he worked a.
Speaker 2: TV so you know he might have been getting the checks, I mean, damn, And he's why he believed her. He believed that she was going to repay him. But one day during her February twenty seventeen sentence, when Walton logged onto the jail's website to schedule a visit, he clicked on her profile at the La County Sheriff's website and he noticed something strange. She had been charged and convicted with a felony, so she was trying to avoid eviction. She eventually did have to go to jail, and then when he was going to go see her, probably put some money on her books for some ramen noodles and stuff. He looked and they were like, yeah, she was convicted of a felony, felony, like she was doing crime. Crime. So he took a day off work traveled to the Airport Courthouse near lax to draw up the records on her case. When he started looking through the records, he realized that everything that she told him was say it with me, guys, a lie. The plea agreement meant that she had pleaded guilty that her bank accounts had never been frozen. They weren't frozen, they just were empty, empty I'm gonna start telling you my bank account frozen if there ain't no money in there. That's it, basically is the bank won't let me make transfers anymore because they said it's no money in there, so they stopped. They froze my transfer they frozen.
Speaker 3: So if you want to, you know, paypound me some. You want to venmo me something so I can get my transfers back up, that's my god, that's excellent.
Speaker 2: Worry if you would have venmoed me money so I could get my transfers back up, that's the phrasing. That is excellent phrasing for I don't have no money, Send me money so I get start spending money again. That's amazing. So her plea agreement was for forty thousand dollars, not fifty, and it included one hundred and eight day jail sentence later reduced to thirty days. Oh god, So basically she skimmed him. She's like up, she was like, I need fifty thousand dollars so I can get this time served. Then she just kept a little tense so she could get her transfers back up. So she was like some for the court, some honey, some for me. On the day of the release, he picked her up, which I'm like, bro, why are you even still fucking yeah? Why are you still involved? Because I think he was trying to get his money back. So he was like, he's been lying to me this entire time about everything. The next day, he filed a police report alleging a total theft of seventy five thousand dollars. Right so, Walton's landlord shared that Homegirl also was twelve thousand dollars behind in apartment payments and had delayed them further because she says she had cancer and that her disability insurance wasn't arriving on time. She was running all she my god, so where was the money for rent gone? Because remember he helped her with an eviction law quote unquote two thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Well, that's how she had that expensive shoes and shit, she was just buying stuff.
Speaker 2: She just can't buy shoes. She's funny. I love her. They were like, man, we're gonna put you in the street. She was like, okay, but I really need these lubatants. Also, my cancer hurts right now, so I might cancer. HER's so bad, I better go buy a shoe. That's the cure. Yeah. I can't actually talk about this right now because ooh that was my cancer. Okay, so I'm gonna close the door now, bye bye. So background checks reveal that she'd also been charged with writing bad checks, fraud in Tennessee, in Florida, a grand theft, among other kunts. She was also doing San Andreas. I love her, Yes, And then the jury found that Smith was guilty of grand theft and sentenced her to five years in jail. So this is on top of one hundred and eighty days that she got from robbing her former employment. She did end up having to go to jail for robbing her homeboy. And man, there's a lot to unp there that we just don't have time to pack, you guys unpacking in your cars wherever you are. But uh, this irishwoman is a queen. I love her. That's it.
Speaker 3: That's like, over the course of four years, you stole eighty thousand dollars. That's pretty good. That's twenty a year. That's nice, tax free, that is twenty thousand dollars a year. That's like pretty decent. And I'm sure that's something only scam she was running on people. Obviously she can rent scam. She had grand theft, she had like her whole life was a grip.
Speaker 2: She doing it. She's doing big things. So for Scammer of the Week, we just want to highlight a king, a Floridian, a Florida man. You know, if you really just want trash, if you really just want I can say that I lived in Florida. It's okay for me to say that a Florida man bought one hundred and forty thousand dollars Porsche with a check that he printed from home on his computer. I don't even know you think of this.
Speaker 3: But also the dealership was like, ah, it looks right, but what look?
Speaker 2: Times are hard. They trying to sell these motherfucking Porsches. They said, anybody want to come in here? Yes, so forty two year old Casey William Kelly. I love that he has three first names. That's what I'm talking about. Robbery was charged with a grand theft of a motor vehicle and uttering a false banknote. According to the Walton County Sheriff's Office, he allegedly handed over a cashier's check that he printed from his home computer to buy the car. The car was later reported stolen to Okaloosa County sheriff Office. So he so also we just talked about in the last story, like you do a cashier check. That's as good as cash.
Speaker 3: Pretty much, if it looks real, if it looks legit.
Speaker 2: So this is what he did. Shortly after purchasing the German luxury car. Authority say that Kelly then attempted to buy three Rolex watches he was loan. Later ride, he said, where my printer at I get the ink jet? Been so funny, that is so fucking funny. He handed over a fraudulent check for six see one thousand dollars to a jeweler. However, the jeweler kept the watches until they could determine if the check would clear see because jewelry. You know, he's a white man.
Speaker 3: People don't fuck with jewelry because jewelry goes up in value sometimes.
Speaker 2: So like like a vintage Rolex, those go for like a like a ton of cash. So smart on them.
Speaker 3: But also with the car, I would have done a lease. I would have given them a fake address. I would have done I mean, you probably had to put some money down so you get the fraudulent check for that, give them a dummy address, and then never park the car near your house.
Speaker 2: And be like, I don't know what you're talking about. That's a good one, because then it's also like they might contact you like, oh, this check didn't go through, but you we got this lise set up, We got all your info and then you could drive it around for longer. He's just straight up yes, like stealing it. Okay, Now I have the perfect plan.
Speaker 3: Okay, so we get a fake driver's license with your picture, different name, different address, because I don't think they do any sort of background checks. So if you can make fraudulent checks, write that check for the down payment on the lease, how will they get to you. They can't, They can't find you. And then the bank is on the hook because when you lease a car, the bank buys the car. You pay the bank, so you are literally out of it.
Speaker 2: Everyone go out there and print your cashier's check. Immy nominated. The cole buyer has taught you how to do this scam. That was her ted talk. It was free for you and for me. I just I think also the jeweler probably caught on because jewelers deal with criminals all the time, like, oh yeah, jewelry, like the three rolexes for what for? What for? Why for? How? So you know what? But shout out to a three first named king, Casey William Kelly because I don't even know how you thought to print out a casher check at your home. Probably been saying the side too long, coronavirus. She was like, I could print out of cash your check.
Speaker 3: From or maybe he saw Catch Me if you can that movie with Leonardo DiCaprio running all them scams and he was like, I can do that.
Speaker 2: I'm cute listen and he did and did he did get the car off the lots. So I'm proud of this king, but we too, we have reached the end of the show.
Speaker 3: Nicole Lazy, thank you so much for having me back. Honestly, it's just a treat to talk to.
Speaker 2: You is thank you for being here. Seriously, Wait, where do you want to be found?
Speaker 3: I'm hopefully engaged with a nice man now. You can find me on Instagram, Twitter at Nicole Bayer. I have other podcasts, Why Won't You Date Me? Best Friends, ninety day ban Patreon, drag Her with Mono Agapi, where we talked about drag Race Newcomers with Lauren Lapkis where now we are watching Lord of the Rings and good fucking Lord, that movie's a scam.
Speaker 2: They're too fucking long. They should have been broken up.
Speaker 3: But yeah, you can just Oh and I have a book, Very Fat, Very Brave. It's a self help guide for fat women. But if you're a thin and you have low.
Speaker 2: Self esteem, I guess maybe you'll help. I don't know what a sales pitch there. You hate yourself? No no, no, no, no, I can I can help you your thin self hate and bitch. No I'm kidding, no no, no, no no. But it's a good book for just confidence in general.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's gotten like little comebacks if someone insults you. The main takeaway of the book, I'll just tell you, I prefer if you bought it is like if someone says something about your body, it means you're powerful because that person had to stop their day to tell you something and you never thought once about them.
Speaker 2: Yes, uh, I love that. Yes, guys, Very Fat, Very Brave. Oh my god, all the things you have so many podcasts. As always, guys, email us scamcottspot at gmail dot com. Snitch on your friends your family and yourself. If you want to find me d I V A l A c I d elates. You have all platforms if you want to support a black queen out there, okay, if you want to do your activism for today, like uh wait, I was about to say, like a subscribe b just sign YouTube, subscribe to our show, give me five star reviews and talk about how lovely of human being that I am. That's how you can help me. And then and then you help the black person. Today you get to go to bed like I did it. I did something alright, Congregation, Damn Goddess. This has been in the Earwook production in association with Team Coco Scam Got His Stars and it's hosted by me Lacy Mosley aka Scam Goddess. Our producer is Jessica cis Neros and our audio engineer is rich Garcia. Research for the show is conducted by Kate Doyle Stay Scheming