Speaker 1: This story contains adult content and language, along with references to sexual assault. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: So the police officer they're supposed to decide whether there even is any evidence, which is obviously not an evidence based evidence system if you're already deciding who's lying.
Speaker 1: I'm Kate Winkler Dawson, a nonfiction author and journalism professor in Austin, Texas. I'm also the co host of the podcast Buried Bones on Exactly Right, and throughout my career, research for my many audio and book projects has taken me around the world. On Wicked Words, I sit down with the people I've met along the way, amazing writers, journalists, filmmakers, and podcasters who have investigated and reported on notorious true cases. This is about the choices writers make, both good and bad, and it's a deep dive into the unpublished details behind their stories. This week on Wicked Words, years ago, author Pagan Kennedy wondered about the history of the rape kit, a crucial tool for investigators today, who designed it. She found out that it was Martha Goddard, a pioneer who wanted to help police catch sexual predators using forensics. But sometime after she made history. Goddard vanished. Listen to Kennedy's story at the center of her book, The Secret History of the Rape Kit. I read a New York Times review of your book. I can't really remember the last review I read from the Times that had zero criticism about the I mean zero. What do you think resonates with readers? I know you're doing a lot of interviews. What do you think it is about this project that has really kind of caught the attention of readers today.
Speaker 2: You know, I really thought a lot about how to tell this story. You know, I really wanted to deliver new information to people, and really important information. But I think it's very important to wrap it in a story in the right way, and so I thought a lot about that. And the Marti Goddard story is several mysteries at once, kind of stacked up. And one mystery is what happened to her because she was key to creating the national system of sexual assault evidence that we have now. I mean, she really was the person behind the scenes who made it happen at a lot of levels. Then after she did that, she just disappeared to the point where it was really when I came looking for her. It was really really took me forever to find her. So there's the mystery of what happened to her, There's the mystery of how did she bring about this massive change, you know, as an activist in Chicago with seemingly very little political power. And then you know, really it's about the mystery of evidence. What is evidence? Who gets to say what evidence is? Who controls everything about evidence? Is about the power structure in criminal justice and in our world now there's all this argument about what is even true Now. It was a struggle to rethink evidence from the point of view of survivors, you know, in the nineteen seventies that Marty Goddard was a part of. And so I really it was also my own story in terms of, you know, I was molested as a kid. I mean also at the heart of this is if something like that has happened to you or somebody, you know, how do you deal with that longing for justice that you're never going to get And what if you don't have the evidence? What if you know something happened to you and you don't have the evidence of it. So I tried to weave in all of that and more into the book and keep it all keep it moving very quickly by kind of always having one pot or the other boiling at all times in the story.
Speaker 1: Well, that's a good nonfiction narrative right there. Where do we start with this story with you? Is it you and your journey trying to figure out who is the name behind the rape kit and how it is not accurate?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean, for me, the story started in twenty eighteen. The rape kit was very much of the news because people might remember there was a huge scandal then about untested backlogged kits and these were literally almost half a million kits that were sitting in police warehouses or it had been thrown away. And when I say police warehouses, I mean moldy basements with sometimes pigeons flapping around, you know, and mice eating them, you know, or literally lying there in black trash bags as if they're about to be thrown away or just thrown away. And so I think when you know survivors who had gone through a very very difficult and invasive forensic exams to create this evidence found out about this, there was a huge amount of anger. You know, these headlines were out there and I suddenly had the thought, you know, it didn't actually surprise me so much that the police would destroy or hide this evidence. But what did surprise me was what I really thought about it was that there was this national system for collecting evidence of sexual assault, and that you know, of course it doesn't always work as we would want it to work, but it potentially had such power to potentially take down, you know, somebody very powerful, a Catholic priest, head of a school, serial predator who had been hadn't been found for years. It also had the potential to free innocent black men who are all too often put in prison for rape and are kind of framed for it. And so that also, that power to exonerate people is really important part of the kit. So this thing kind of I was kind of like, how did this ever get created in a world that seems to be you know, in the rest of our designed environment, it seems like there's not a lot of care taken to prevent sexual abuse or you know, if you go on to social media or something, it's not like it's designed to keep people from being harassed or stocked or you know, any of that. So it just seemed kind of amazing to me. So I really suddenly wanted to know all the origins, how did this ever come into being? Because I also thought, well, this tells you more than just the story of the kid. It tells you how something like this that challenges power could come into existence. So my first stop was Wikipedia of twenty eighteen, and on that Wikipedia there was not very much information, but it did say that a police officer named Louis Futtulo in Chicago had been the sole inventor of the kit in the nineteen seventies, and it was called the Vitulo Kit after him because he was the inventor, so he was no longer alive and there was not really much information out there about him. So I kept looking for other people who might be involved, and I kept seeing this name, Martha Goddard or Marty Goddard. Being a longtime reporter, my first question is, well, okay, is she dead or alive? Because that tells me what to do next. I couldn't find any obituaries, any memorials, any indication that she was dead, you know, and almost always when I go looking for somebody, if they're dead, there's something it's very clear. So I had to assume she was alive. At that time, and so I was just hunting and hunting for her. So without knowing it, I kind of fell down the rabbit hole of looking for this mysterious Marty Goddard. And while I couldn't find her, I kept finding all kinds of things that made her story just appear before me in technicolor. Because I found these pretty obscure oral histories. She had done these long interviews, audio interviews where she told her story, and I began to find people she had worked with and talk to them who had also been involved in her projects, or had been working on the rap task for us in Chicago or whatever. The story just began to emerge before me. And that story was you know this, she begans when she tells her story in these oral histories. She begins in nineteen seventy two, when she was she's a divorce a and just divorced, just moved to Chicago. She's you know, I have pictures of her. She's this blonde woman with big goggly glasses and always looking incredibly sharp. She was very determined to be taken seriously, so she was always kind of in those suits that women had to wear in the nineteen seventies with the silk shirts and the sometimes like the little bow ties and the you know, the jackets and the briefcase and all of that. So she starts with the day or the days when she began volunteering. She was working at a nonprofit, but she was volunteering at a what they can called a runaway hotline in Chicago, and that was for kids living on the street to call in and get help. And you know, this is the hippie the height of the hippie movement, so they were calling them runaways, and the idea was these kids that sort of run away to have fun and be hippies and headed to San Francisco or whatever that was. That was sort of the idea. But she walked in and the hotline was housed in this old, falling apart townhouse in downtown Chicago, and it was staffed all by students and hippies, sort of hippie long hair people. So she really didn't fit in. She was this very professional looking person, but she sat down and began taking calls, and what she discovered was these kids were running away from home because many of them were fleeing from abusive family members. In fact, she began to see what was sort of before everybody's eyes in the early seventies, but nobody was talking about or able to see, which was that there was just a tremendous amount of child sexual abuse, which was thought to be incredibly rare at that time. There was really like not even a full understanding of child abuse at that time. She was thinking, if this is so prevalent, there must be so many predators out there, and she began getting involved in trying to help these, especially the girls who ended up on the streets, who would often be blamed. They would be called like prostitutes, and nobody would seem to think, well, how did that happen? How does a thirteen year old girl end up on the street, and who's to blame for that? You know, the girl herself would be blamed and the police would holler away to juvenile hall or something. So she got very involved in that, and in nineteen seventy four things really started to shift into high gear because there was the anti race movement really was getting started in America, and in Chicago, there was a huge amount of outrage starting to happen on the part of women who had been assaulted and the police hadn't done anything, and so in fact, the attitude of that time, not just in Chicago but everywhere was that you really couldn't prove that a sexual assault had happened. It was just always going to be a he said, she said, There's sort of no way you could ever get evidence of it, you know, going back into the police training manuals of the time, they would say, like women almost always are frequently lie. You can't trust them. So the police officer is supposed to be the judge the jury. They're supposed to decide whether there even is any evidence, which is obviously not an evidence based evidence system if you're already deciding who's lying.
Speaker 1: I remember reading that you were saying in these manuals that officers were told, you know, much of this is because their boyfriend or their husband's a cheater and they're trying to get revenge. So, yes, that seemed that was startling to me when I read that. One thing I wanted to bring up because I know we're framing the seventies and where we are right now. I just did a story on my other show with Poul Holes, which is Buried Bones, about the Miranda rights, the origin of that, which, of course was a series of sexual assaults. What I did not know, and I told one of my classes where I teach a true crime at the University of Texas, I said, I did not know that even now, what happened with the women who accused Miranda of you know, assaulting them was they were all given polygraph tests and you can still do that. And I just thought, how is that even possible when this is a tool quote unquote that can't even be admitted in court, let alone, you know, it must be used for intimidation or something. I was stunned by that, and I'm sure that there are a lot of other things that would surprise me about how police officers are able to get quote unquote the truth from people who come to the station and claim something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fascinating. I actually didn't know that Miranda was a sexual assault case, and that actually makes a whole lot of sense. Yeah, because you're being told that anything you can say will be used against you, which of course it's doubly true. It's sexual assault cases because the survivor is almost always treated, it is often treated like a suspect, and that's the fight, that's the struggle. We're still having today. You know, just seems so hard to shift that culture away from treating the accuser as a suspect or a liar.
Speaker 1: So in the seventies we have a don't believe her movement, it sounds like, and this is of course disgusting to Marty. I'm sure she's learning more and more about this stuff. And you were saying, was it seventy sixty you said, was when this anti rape movement was really gaining steam here?
Speaker 2: It was around seventy four. This is when the first women are coming out of law school. I mean, Barrital rape is still legal at this time. There's very little understanding of child abuse, so it's just the norm that sexual assault happens. If it happens to you, it's probably your fault. So yeah, so she because of Chicago had this big scandal on its hands and the police department there were scandal upon scandal in Chicago because the police department there were actually a secret police group inside the Chicago Police called the Red Squad. They also had this in other cities, but it was very especially kind of woven into the Chicago Police department, which was the secret police, and they were sort of the Dirty Tricks Gang. They would blackmail people they didn't like. They would definitely target African America anybody well, they would target anybody who brought up police abuse. They targeted African American men. They were sort of entangled with Nazi movements. They were, you know, so there was in this police inside the police, and they had these secret files. And Marty Goddard actually was pretty she was being followed during some of the time. When she began working on the Rape Task Force in Chicago, she did see a file against her. But then the files from the Red Squad just like quote unquote accidentally all went up in flame. So I went and tried to find the secret file, because there is still in Chicago an archive of what's left of the Red Squad files from the seventies, well sixties, seventies, but couldn't find anything there. So if she did have a secret police file on her, it was destroyed. But you know, you can get the whole the whole vibe. It was very much, very difficult. The police were the Chicago police was really were really known to be the worst in the country in terms of being very much a political group that would just hurt the enemies of the then the democratic machine. Anyway, she Marty Goddard, because of her activism, was made a head of the Citizens Committee on the Rape Task Force, and that gave her the power to go in and talk to kind of whoever she wanted to figure out what was going on, why there was so little effort to investigate sexual assault cases. And so she talked to hospital administrators, nurses, er docs, you know, people in the crime labs, police officers. She just talked to everybody. And this was something really interesting about her, which she's just a very curious person who wanted to make things work and get everybody on board. And so she could kind of go into these different spaces and make allies. She was very good at kind of showing up in her nice suit and shaking people's hands and making allies and then just sort of pulling things together. And so along the way she became convinced or decided, you know, well what she analyzed when she diagnosed what was going wrong. Of course, there's a big kind of cultural problem with the police really treating survivors quite badly. You know, there was, of course the culture, but then at the practical level, just people in the nursing staff in the hospital. They were just focused on when somebody came in after a violin attack. They just wanted to help them and treat their wounds, and so that they would try to collect evidence, but nobody had taught them how, so they just kind of do what they needed to do, throw everything in a bag and send it over to the crime lab. And then the crime lab opens this bag and here's this clothing that has been torn up by the doctors as they tried to get to the patient and they you know, in slides that hadn't been correctly stored and just a jumble of stuff, so they would throw it out. So that was what was happening to a lot of the evidence. So it became clear that you needed to train everybody. You needed to get them to all talk to each other, and you needed them to all be on board and create one unified system. She I think it was she who probably did have you know, talked to a lot of people and tried to establish exactly what happened. It's a little hard, but it seems like she had the idea of using the kit a kit to kind of be the object that moved from place to place, and kept everybody on the same page. I should say that she did not invent the kit, nor did Louis Viattulo, who was credited with it. There were actually rape kits in existence then they weren't used widely. They were used sort of here and there, like as experiments sort of or and many of them were quite bad.
Speaker 1: In what way bad like inadequate.
Speaker 2: Well, I found one from nineteen I found I didn't find the kit. I found the instructions from a nineteen seventy three kit that said that if you thought that the woman accusing rape was a quote ced prostitute, then you didn't need to collect evidence. Wow, you should collect evidence if she was a thirteen year old girl headed to Sunday school. But maybe if she was a quote bar maid, you didn't have to do it. So again, it was like actually codifying that police bias right into the tool. So there's nothing magical about a rape kit. A rape kit can be very bad. So anyway, Marty Goddard brought this, she was told by a friend in the police department, you've got to get Louis Batulo on board because he's in the crime lab. He was sort of Chicago famous at that time because he'd been helped to solve some big cases and he had just had a lot of power inside the police department. So she went to him proposed to this idea and or some idea that she had, and according to her big collaborator at that time, Cynthia Gary, he threw her out of the office initially and yelled at her for sort of presuming to come in. But then days later he had created a prototype of what they had discussed, and so she did end up working with him, you know, But she went on to found a nonprofit, Get all the hospitals on board, run all the trainings, raise all the money, think up you know. Really, there was so much about the kid that wasn't in the box. It was a sense of design, It was an attitude of looking at it from the survivor's point of view. Part of the original kit was a very simple didn't have that many tools in it, and it had a very simple set of checklists so that if you were trained, and you didn't need a ton of training, you could follow this and everybody would know exactly what evidence was collected and how to collect it. So it was very much about creating a system and then housing all these samples, biological samples that had been collected in exactly the same way so that it was standardized.
Speaker 1: I wonder if we can go back and do a little bit of a timeline of collecting evidence for sexual assault. Raye Paul and I on Barry Bones do talk about, you know, cases from the seventies and the fifties that are sixties that have been solved with DNA evidence that's been collected in a lot of time. It's that semen swabs, which for some reason always surprises me or right, they are often in cases like you know, I think it's a Knoxville, Tennessee where there was a suspected serial killer of young girls, and so you know there is biological evidence there. What's your understanding of when they first started thinking about collecting anything, I mean, my goodness, in the early nineteen hundreds. I don't even know if they would have known what to capture what not to capture.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the cases you're talking about are where the survivors are dead. So the survivors, the non survivors, the victims are dead, right, So that was really different like collecting from a dead body. We're talking about collecting from somebody who's alive, you know, again, it becomes much more of you know, it's if somebody's dead, it's clear that violence has occurred. Yeah, so it's a very different process when the survivor is alive and accusing somebody, especially somebody in power.
Speaker 1: Do you know when that would have started with survivors.
Speaker 2: It's a very hazy history, which I actually traced back to the witch trials because there was very you know, Matthew Hale, who was in English, I don't know if he was a judge. I guess he was a judge in the sixteen hundreds, who was the man who formulated a lot of the ideas that underlay marital rape. It was the idea that, you know, a woman was property of her husband, so she couldn't be sexually abused because she was property. And he also was involved in some witch trials. But you know, the idea of a witch trial was you're investigating somebody's body to see if they're a liar, essentially, and that idea, you know, and then you have, like in the Victorian era here and there, and even early twentieth century, you have female accusers being examined to see if they're virgins, you know, it's just a long chain of is she a liar? Is she a slut? You know, And so by the early seventies when this is happening, I mean, they certainly would have you know, of course, any situation where the victim is dead, that becomes a whole different kind of case. You know, there were really obvious cases or if you had maybe a sympathetic police officer or something. You know, it was just they would bring people in, they would collect their story, they might collect evidence, but it wasn't like there was any real system in place, and it was again very much under the control of the police officers to decide. And so what I think Marty Goddard and the other activists of the seventies were doing was trying to take the power, you know, out of the individual police officer and say, look, we're going to collect evidence from everybody who wants evidence collected. Anybody who's accusing and they want evidence collected. It was essentially creating a new norm, a norm that if you're a survivor in theory, you have the right to have evidence collected from you if you want it. That that belongs to everybody.
Speaker 1: What is the rule now, Is it that anybody who comes in, male or female and says I've been the victim of a sexual assault, it is their right to have their evidence tested? Or is there any discretion for anybody either at the hospital or at the police department.
Speaker 2: Well, in theory, that's how it works. In practice, and we can get into this later, there's all kinds of reasons why it doesn't always work that way and often doesn't, and that just the hurdles that survivors have to go through to even get to the point where they're getting a forensic exam or very high. And so a lot of people just simply don't have access to the system at all, just because they may not have a car to get to a hospital something like that. So as I've been touring with around after this book, you know, I just hear so many stories, for instance, male victims being turned away because somebody tells them, oh, the rape kit isn't for you, which is not true. You know. One of the other big problems right now is something that happened later. You know, as the rape kit comes into becomes a national system in the eighties, there's entirely new kinds of nurses. There's forensic nurses being trained, and there's now you know, the system is built out even further more and more to where we have the idea of trauma informed care and you know nurses who are specially trained to help survivors and all of that. But right now there's just not enough forensic nurses. So often also the people who are the nurses or doctors that you know, somebody might counter it's not their fault, but they haven't been trained, and they're any er where there's a huge amount of time pressure and stuff. So there's all kinds of reasons why it does not work as envisioned. But I think the idea there's something just important in the idea that everybody has the right to file evidence now, and that I never thought, even when I was working on the book, I never thought, oh, that could be taken away. You know, even if in practice we fall short of that norm, that that idea that we have that I thought we all shared that every person who's believes that they've been sexually assaulted has the right to report it and be examined and see if there's DNA evidence or other evidence that is now being chipped away in Idaho a law passed this summer, so anybody under eighteen has to get the parental consent in order to file sexual assault evidence.
Speaker 1: That's such bullshit. Yeah, but what is that? What is that coming down to? I mean, what is the politics behind that? It's the agreement that children shouldn't be making their own decisions? Is that what the push for that was? That parents have to be more involved? The lack of parental rights? Is that what this is?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a far right movement around. In fact, in Idaho, any procedure, even a minor one involving a minor, the parent have to give consent. But that of course includes going through a forensic exam. And so of course if the parent is actually the perpetrator.
Speaker 1: Or doesn't believe it.
Speaker 2: Or doesn't believe it, or somebody else in the family it's the perpetrator, you know, then that's a big problem. But the upshot is that, you know, in Idaho and potentially in more and more states, we could see this idea. I thought, you know that it seemed like we all share that any survivor who wants to report what happened to them and have evidence collected that they had that right that's not anything that I think we can take for granted anymore.
Speaker 1: Let's go back to the nineteen seventies. So you know, Marty is having a conversation with Vittulo and next thing we know, he's got this prototype for the kit. Do they get along on this process or is she done with this process once she gives him the idea? And where do we go from there?
Speaker 2: So yeah, when you read, you know, it's hard to know exactly. I have a lot about that in my book trying to parse that out, But it doesn't seem like once she had the prototype they were working together that much. And in fact, if you go back and as I did, and look through a bazillion newspaper articles and can kind of reconstruct the story, she then takes the lead, and she's quoted everywhere in the newspapers and sort of doing everything. So she now has the prototype, she has the go ahead to create a system in Chicago using this kit. She doesn't have the money. She started a nonprofit like as the Mechanism to do this, but so she needs to raise all this money. She can't get any funding because this is not the kind of thing that well healed philanthropic organizations are funding at that time. So this is kind of one of the many bizarre twists in the story was that her friend at the Playboy Foundation, Margaret who is now name Margaret Pcorney, reached out to her and said, look, I think you can get funding here. Strangely enough, the Playboy Foundation. Playboy, of course, was the big industry in Chicago. The Playboy magazine was making a lot of money, and Hugh Hefner was this real Chicago personality, and there was this huge building in the center of town that said Playboy. They were funding a lot of civil rights and feminists, activism and work. I didn't know that. How Why why? I think it made sense in a weird way for you Havener, because he wanted women to be liberated and sexually free, and if women are being sexually assaulted all over the place, that's not going to happen. He also funded Ruth Bader Ginsberg's projects at the ACLU as she got her start, so it kind of weirdly made sense for him. Anyway, they did get this grant to do this pilot program, and they got a lot of help from the Playboy staff. The designers helped did sort of a logo for the kit. There's a kind of groovy seventies women on it. They gathered volunteers there and had everybody put together these kits and made thousands of kits and got them out into the hospitals and started up this very very ambitious program across Chicago and then across the entire state. And part of the training that the nurses had to have and the doctors was that they were going to take this kit into the courtroom. They probably take the actual kit, but they were going to talk about what they had done and present it to the jury. And so the kit itself had to look really official and scientific, and the whole process had to be kind of put in this language of you know, scientific evidence, because again, you know, the accuser was not going to be believed by the jury, especially at that time, and so what you had is people who are kind of in a white lab coats talking on their behalf and saying, well, we did this test, and we did this test, and we did this test, and that really did start to help to win cases and persuade juries. You know, this was at a time before DNA identification existed. If they had, say blood in a sample of blood. You know, they couldn't really narrow down who was the suspect that much. You could do blood typing, you could do HLA take typing, you could do these other kind of tests. You're not really you're maybe eliminating, you know, a third of people out there are two thirds or something like that, but you're not really saying with any certainty who the suspect is. So Marty continued to you know, really advocate for this. It became you know, you see, if you're following it through the newspapers, you suddenly see exploding headlines all over the country. Wow, there's this new rape kit system. It's it seems to really be helping to solve cases. It seems to work really well. You see other cities adopting it. And she was given money by the Justice Department to go around the country and help other cities and states set up their programs. So that's what she did in the early eighties. And she worked really hard and burned out very badly, which I think is part of the why she disappeared. But because of the work she and all these other people did, wonderful people did back then, there was now these kits all over the country storing biological evidence. So when DNA identification did come along in the late eighties nineties, you now, these kits are just so much more valuable and so much more convincing to a jury where you can say, Okay, look, you know, we had three women accusing this guy, and we have one kit that shows that he's definitely the person whose blood is in this kit. So that kind of evidence really is much more convincing to juries.
Speaker 1: I remember, you know, when I'm in Texas, when Dallas got a new DA, the first black DA, Craig walk in and one of the first things he did was go and test all of the outstanding sexual assault kits and other biological evidence, and it came back something like I feel like it was like twenty five percent of the people who had been you know, arrested and convicted in those cases were exonerated just based on what he did with these kids. Was there a way to trace or tell the story of one of these kits where it leads to an exoneration or a conviction. I'm wondering if there's like a little map of where all these kits that came from Goddard's mind, you know, where they came from.
Speaker 2: Not really to be honest, because by the time the kits are really everywhere, they're already becoming slightly different everywhere. That was the thing, and I think she had really wanted a standardized system. We still don't have one. People became aware of the backlog of kits in the twenty tens, but they the backlog started as soon as you had DNA testing. So you know, you can imagine, like DNA testing becomes available, it's super expensive. A city like New York, say, already has ten thousand kits or something, and now they all need to be tested. And honestly, police departments did have tend to have pretty much money, but for whatever reason, it was not put into testing the kits. So immediately you start to see backlogs in the nineties, so a lot of there were all these kits on file that have been filed, but many of them had not been tested. And that only became an issue decades later because of some amazing activists who worked super hard to bring it to everybody's attention. But that was you know, that was one of the problems, is like in theory, yes, this is an amazing way of finding finding serial predators. But in practice, if you're not actually testing the kits, you know, that may not happen. I'm glad you brought up the exonerations. I think you know, when I talk about this, people kind of assume that the idea that if you have more kits, you're supporting the car sooral system, or you're supporting putting more people in prison. But the fact is, number one, we don't want to put the wrong people in prison. Number two, you know, the kids have taken gotten a lot of people out of prison, and whatever happens. I'm not going to get into the issues. I not smart enough to figure out how the prison system should work. But whatever happens, we need to know who is attacking, violently attacking, and sexually attacking people like I think that information is extremely important to know what we do with it, how we treat that, how we decide what we decide to do with especially the serial predators, that's another big issue. But certainly knowing who those people are, being able to identify them and being aware of what they're doing and hopefully able to stop it in some way like that, that's just an incredibly important thing. And it doesn't necessarily you know, honestly, there's so few convictions for sexual assault. It's not like any of this it's going to make it's making a lot of people go to prison or any of the right people.
Speaker 1: Well, you had a question that you were trying to solve at the beginning of your research, which is what exactly happened Marty. You said that in the eighties she was touring and lecturing and educating and everything and got burned out. So what did you find happened you know after that time? Is this when she vanished kind of from the newspapers and everything.
Speaker 2: She vanishes. And I was interviewing a number of people who had worked with her in the seventies and knew her or were friends with her, and even they didn't know what had happened. They wanted me to find her.
Speaker 1: Was she married or with kids or any family or anything.
Speaker 2: Well, one thing I was in touch with Cynthia Gary, who had worked with her, you know, had been studying police violence in the early seventies and worked really closely with Marty Goddard at that time and was also on the Rape Task Force. And so I was pumping Cynthia. She didn't know what had happened to Marty, but she knew a lot about Marty, So I was sort of pumping her for any clues that I thought would lead me to Marty Goddard's present day whereabouts, you know, family members, what, you know, anything. So I was hitting Cynthia with after we talked, with like a lot of emails, like I found this thing, do you think this is connected to remember this? And in the midst of that, Cynthia sent me this suddenly remembered something and sent me this string of emails that I got. Well, I was hiking. It was really weird. I just remember how shocked I was that day that Cynthia suddenly remembered In the late seventies, Marty had gone on vacation to Hawaii and when she came back, she called Cynthia and said that she had been violently assaulted. And this was already with when she was working in Chicago, with running this system as far as I've been able to nail it down, and you know, getting those emails and then it was just very raw because Cynthia had just you know, all the memories had come back and they were just very raw and jumbled. But then as I began to talk to more people. I would ask them about this if they knew about it, and I gathered more and more different points of view, you know, people telling me about, yes, this happened to her, and I had actually in these oral histories, there was one where Marty had mentioned something happening to her and then I the tape with actually was not very good, and she had mentioned something very brutal, and I thought maybe it was in childhood or something, and then I realized she was talking about this particular attack. And then I was eventually able to talk to her sister, and you know, whatever nail it all down. But the upshot was she was very violently attacked. She began drinking much more, she began traveling all around the country and doing this work, and people just lost track of her. And you know, I eventually did find out what had happened and why she had vanished, and you know, I can't answer all the questions, but I had a pretty strong story, and yeah, I learned a lot about you know, what happened after that and sort of why she disappeared and why she wasn't able to ever be part of this forensic system that she really helped to create ever again.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if we mentioned this, but part of the interesting thing about your book is she had known that people would not take this seriously if the kit were named after her, after a woman. That's why she sort of pushed Vitulo to be the name on it.
Speaker 2: Is that the document that is really surprising is that there's a trademark document from nineteen seventy eight which is filed by Marty Goddard, her nonprofit you know under the ageis of her nonprofit, and it is for a sexual assault evidence kit called the Viatulo Kit. So it was clearly her decision to call it this, and a rape kit doesn't need to be named after any person, and now isn't you know now would be called the mostly it's would be called the sexual assault evidence kit. Officially, everybody calls it the rape kit. But you know, now, like, why does it have to be named after person? You know, at the time, you know, as far as I've been able to reconstruct the story, it was just very clear that the police department and the State Attorney General's office really wanted credit for this, and that you know, again you're with this system is going to take power away from the police department. They're not in control of it entirely anymore, and so you know, I think that that was a very smart calculation on her part. Again, you know, she had been told by her friend inside the police department it's really important to get Batulo on board, so you know, that may have been part of it. Exactly what happened and what that conversation is like, I don't know if we will probably ever know.
Speaker 1: What do you think the legacy is here? Because while the rape kit, of course is very important, it sounds like her being out there being a face, really being an activist seemed to be as important. Am I right about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And I think also, you know, one of my obsessions is really the politics of design and the fact that everything we have, everything we interact with, is designed by people and they have agendas. Every tech chnology that comes along creates winners and losers. It's designed for certain people and gives certain people more power, and it may take power away from other people. In this case, I think it was so important to have more of a survivor's point of view in the design of this system, that it is designed around the idea that it's an evidence based evidence system that every survivor will be listened to, every bit of evidence will be collected, and we're not going to prejudge people. So, you know, I was really interested in making that more obvious to readers, and also to think about what are the problems with our designs, design now and our technology now, and who is it helping, who's it hurting? And who gets to design and create technology. That's an huge amount of power to have.
Speaker 1: Do you think that one of the next big steps would be making sure that not only you know, everybody is able to have their evidence collected, whether the police believe them or not. You know that everybody has that right. But also I wonder about the training of the nurses who are not trained specifically to collect this evidence, or the doctors. Is there any standardized training with how to deal with survivors of sexual assault? You know, while we're in a hectic area and whether it's a hospital or you are wherever it is, that seems that it could be as traumatizing, you know, for a survivor, the collection of all this.
Speaker 2: You know, really it's a matter of money, and we could use thousands more forensic nurses. You know that would be amazing. Another big problem is that the way that evidence is defined, the kid itself and the way that evidence is defined hasn't changed very much since the nineteen seventies. So when I do talks, I kind of show the original kit and then I show one of the kits today, because there's probably more than a thousand in America. It's also a complete tower of babble, you know, it's complete chaos out there. So this is another thing. It's not helpful to have all different kits with all different rules, which is you know, for the nurses. That's not good either. But anyway, the kit, you know, from the seventies, it's all on paper, it's in cardboard. The kit today still almost all on paper, but just much more of a mess. You know. The original one was very carefully edited and doable in a reasonable amount of time. The new kits can have dozens and dozens of envelopes, most of which you would never use. They're all there. It's like, if this totally rare event happened, use this envelope, you know, because committees and crime labs keep packing them with more and more stuff. There's just been no standardization. There's been and again talking about design justice. There's been no kind of sense of what the nurse needs, especially if she hasn't been trained in forensics, you know, which is what we seem to be doing now. That wasn't supposed to happen. But if that's what we're doing now, you know, the kit should be very very easy to use, and it can you know, there can be a lot of things that shouldn't be in there, Like the crime labs I learned are part of the problem in that they seem to have all the power they want to create new different kits. That has asked the nurses to do things that they want, whether that's what should happen or not. So an example of that would be some of the kids might ask for what medication the survivor is taking, even if that includes psych medication. That's not something the crime lab needs to know or should know. They might even ask to see the whole account of the testimony, which also the crime lab should not be seeing that because the job of the crime lab is to test samples and to come back with accurate tests. It's not to judge. Again, it's not to judge which kits they should process based on how they feel about the victim. And I would also say the craziest thing to me is all that it's still all on paper. Yeah, in a twenty first century world.
Speaker 1: You know, we're not saying what happened to Marty after all of this and her profile goes down. But do you think that she understood the impact that her work had or would have. I sometimes feel like it's such a shame when people die before they see you know, how prolific their one idea was and how much of an impact. I know there's so many improvements that need to be made, But do you think that she had a sense that she really moved the needle on the way other people did.
Speaker 2: I think for a time she did. Yeah. I mean it's hard because it's a whole many, many span of years, but I think there was definitely a period when she understood and she wanted to get back into forensic and forensics and wasn't able to.
Speaker 1: If you love historical true crime stories, check out the audio versions of my books The Ghost Club, All That Is Wicked, and American Sherlock, and Don't Forget There are twelve seasons of my historical true crime podcast Tenfold More Wicked, Right here in this podcast feed, scroll back and give them a listen if you haven't already. This has been an exactly right production. Our senior producer is Alexis M. Morosi. Our associate producer is Christina Chamberlain. This episode was mixed by John Bradley. Curtis Heath is our composer. Artwork by Nick Toga. Executive produced by Georgia Hardstark, Karen Kilgarriff and Danielle Kramer. Listen to Wicked Words on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Follow Wicked Words on Instagram at tenfold more Wicked, and on Facebook at wicked Words pod