Speaker 1: Col Zone media.
Speaker 2: Hello everyone, unwelcome to it. I could happened here. My name is Zanna el Kherd, and I'm a researcher and analyst of Arab and Palestinian politics. Today I wanted to talk about Western Sahara and the Moroccan occupation of Western Sahara. I'm taking this opportunity because Morocco's in the news, specifically for the World Cup, but it's always a good opportunity when Morocco is in the news to bring up this issue and to talk about the ongoing occupation of this territory. Now, Western he Hero, for those who are unfamiliar, is often called Africa's last colony. It's been contested between the Saharawi indigenous people and the Moroccan government since Spain withdrew from the territory in nineteen seventy five. Now Morocco took over most of the territory and fought a war with the Polisaria Front, which is a liberation movement that represents the Saharawi people backed by other neighbors of Morocco, including Algeria, and it fought a sixteen year war for independence before there was a nineteen ninety one Sea. Now this sees fire collapsed in twenty twenty and there was a UN promised referendum on self determination that never happened. So today Morocco controls roughly eighty percent of the territory and there's still hundreds of thousands of Saharawi refugees that remain in refugee camps in Algeria. The United States accepted and recognized Morocco's sovereignty over Western Sahara in exchange for Morocco signing a peace agreement with Israel. So that happened with the Abraham Accurts. Now recently, through US led diplomacy, there was a twenty twenty five UN Security Council resolution that pushed for Moroccan autonomy rather than Saharawi independence, as the basis for resolving this conflict. So to talk more about this issue, I thought it would be a good opportunity to get the perspective of a Saharawi person and someone who is very embedded in the issue and has lived experience. So I spoke today with Mahmad sadem Urud, who is the co founder of Saharawi Voice. This is a collective of citizen journalists and filmmakers based in the Western Sahara Refugi camps in southwest Algeria, and this collective basically is a way to provide a platform for Saharawis to share their challenges, experiences and hopes with an international audience while equipping Saharawi youth with the knowledge and tools to advocate effectively for their cause. So I spoke some Hama Sadams today to get a Saharawi perspective on things. Now, there might be some listeners that don't agree with everything that was mentioned, and that's fine. The point of this kind of interview is a type of data. How do people see this issue from this perspective. So, without further ado, here is my interview with them. Hama Sadum, Hamma Sandam, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 1: Thank you for the invitation.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to ask a few questions about recent Saharawi politics and events, starting with the UN resolution that happened in October Resolution twenty seven ninety seven, which basically for the first time made Morocco autonomy the explicit basis for negotiations while kind of ignoring self determination for the Sahrawi people. A lot of our listeners have never heard of this resolution, but people have called it the biggest shift in the conflict in decades. So can you tell us from a Saharawi perspective what it means that the UN and international body that once promised Saharawi self determination and referendum starts treating the occupier's plan as the starting point.
Speaker 3: So the resolution itself is after they exhausted all the other pressure means the US, the European Union and through their own individual country pressure and inconditional support to the Morocco. The UN was the last resort and they want to have a stamp of legality on it. And that's why the instrument used the Yuan and and the reality and the talk now because we don't have a negotiation yet, we have talks that have been sponsored and actually administrated and by the US. The now is a sideline. And the reason is because the international law is clear and.
Speaker 1: The repeated resolution before.
Speaker 3: This, all of them they have called and demanded that the final status of the territory should be decided through a referendum, and sometimes the referendum was mused, but always there has to provide.
Speaker 1: For the self determination for the people.
Speaker 3: And even like playing with self determination for listeners and the referendum itself. It's a huge concession from the Sahara side. What in a in a just world, in ideal world, moroccould called to withdraw from western Saharah, paying the reparation for the Saharai, and those are the steps for a just solution for the Saharai past. But the Saharai, we're willing to go to the extra mile, and they made the concessions. They accepted the referendum, which is, by the way, we will intel a huge number of the settlers will be taken apart in that referendum and would not be just the Saharau. But even with that is still not sure that they will even win the support of their own settlers that they brought with them. So they had to ask the US for the help. And of course the US is doing this as a reward for local for being a sub servant stage and the watching dog of the European Union, for being willing also to go public with their relationship with the Zions State of Israel, because for us, we have been saying this for a long time.
Speaker 1: Morocco always had those relationships. It was the.
Speaker 3: Price of recognizing the moroccanity of Western Sahara was the price to go public with those relationships, and that's what they did. Eventually, Morocco is selling themselves to the Doubles to get support and recognization for their occupation of Ustern Sahara. They are accepting the Jerusalem is the capital of Israel. They are sending their money to finals the Peace Board committee that Trump made, They are sending their troops. They are willing to send them even to fight resistance as they are doing everything. They are building chemicals, drunk chemicals factories, Israeli chemicals factories in Morocco. Everything that people couldn't even the nation. Now it's a reality, and the prices to win APAC and Israel support. And they're back in turning the occupation into a THEATA company. And not just that, but to even use you. And in the international law and all the international body so impose the occupations. But for us, we know that slavery and many other stuff were legal. So even if they were to outlaw the self determination, outlaw our demand for free and independent state still will not make any difference to us. We are determined to fight for what's ours and as a Saharai x Saharai leader who passed away told the Bush because this is not the first time. Maybe this is public, but this is not the first time US try to do this.
Speaker 1: During George W.
Speaker 3: Bush first term, when the Twin Tower were hit and US wanted to just like rush to solve or to just finish all other conflicts everywhere, they wanted to resolve the occupation of us in Saharas and asking the Sahara to accept the autonomy plane of Moroccan people. And that's and they said, like when when the Sahara leader was pressed to accept that cicill, we're not accepted. You know, we are so powerful that you can dictate to people how to live, but you are not powerful enough to dictate to people how to die.
Speaker 1: So it's the same for us. Nothing changed.
Speaker 3: Morocco has enjoyed the supports for a long time from the majority of the country and especially those like called the first world country and feel world all that bs. They have always into the supports, but not on theerground. Nothing changed, of course, made our independent. It's difficult, but we make it impossible.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The rights of indigenous people are not determined by international law.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, And Morocco is asking for support and I want to legalize their occupation first from Western Sahara and they are asking the wrong people and they are waiting the support from that. And yeah, their teacher and their biggest sponsors are friends with all its colonism atrocity in all Africa and other places. And the US, who was a country that was built on the genocide of indigenous people.
Speaker 1: So they are they they are.
Speaker 2: In the right company.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, exactly, that's what we Yeah, Sahara will say like if someone gives you advice, you have.
Speaker 1: To look at their house and.
Speaker 3: If they are abiding by the advice, they are giving you a nuts. So the yeah, the market chose the right mass and the right sponsors to continue its occupation. And yeah, graduates from the occupation university.
Speaker 2: So for our listeners, I want to also kind of specify that this February, after the UN resolution, the US can be in secret talks in Madrid between Morocco, Algeria, Mauritania and the Pulsario, overseen by Trump's African advisor. Yeah, now it's being negotiated behind closed doors. How are ordinary is always especially in the camps. What is their relationship right now to these negotiations and to the Pulsaria leadership.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's the talk I refer to, because negotiation has to start after you established a framework for what to negotiate, and so now that hasn't happened, so they are more accurately should be described as talk, you know, early stages of talk and meetings instead of negotiation, because negotiation then when you have a framework for the things that you want to achieve and the demand of two parties.
Speaker 1: And in this case, we.
Speaker 3: Haven't even seen one photo of the tool negotiating parties and that's very obvious because it shows just how different and how how far from each other. And the US came with the misconception that they think they just like, can't rush this into solutions and be done with it. And when they saw resistance from the from the Sahara negotiation team and also for the record, also algeria hessitance to accept them posing of all those solutions, they started to reconsider. And we have many statements from a Sight Bulls, the advisor for North Africa and the Middle East or North Africa, where he's saying, this seems to be more difficult than what we early imagine. And you know starts to reconsider his positions. As as to your question the Saarah in general, the vast majority of the Saharawi consider the Policario to be a liberation movement and their representative. And even if they don't have opposed or work in a certain they consider themselves to be a Pulicario member. That doesn't mean we agree with all Policario. We don't have a different opinion about how things should be managed and how the saharawikas should be administrated and how to deal with with many things. That there is a huge and age gap between the first generation of police are that the vast majority of those are the members now and who are at the top of the leadership are people who started the police area. So I was talking about people who have been in the leadership position for fifty years. So of course there is an obvious need for them to step down and be replaced by younger generations, by people who have the ability both the physical and the mental and right judgment of the time and of the means that should be employed to accelerate the liberation of firstern Sahara. We see them, but the legisation, as you said, it's happening behind the closed door. There are no press conferences. We are dependent on the statement from there and there to try to build a bigger picture of what's happening. But the biggest takeaway and the conclusion from the three rounds that took a place so far, two in Washington and one in Madrid, there's nothing measure is happening except the fact that the US is starting to think that it's it's it's more difficult and it's going to take more time than what they initially imagine. So that's the biggest time I think that and the Morocco the autonomy plan. They had it in three pages paper that was their proposal for a solution, and France and the US asked them for a more extended version where they have to outline details, and they hadn't showed or produced anything yet. So that's I think they are closest ally and supporter and formal colonizer as Francis is working closely with them to develop that proposal.
Speaker 1: I see.
Speaker 3: That doesn't change a lot, because you know, if we wanted autonomy would have been better up with with Spain, and why would we like say say no to Spain all to accepted fifty years later to Croft monarchy and a servant and the paper to the Zion Standard trance. Yeah, our occupier is enjoying their support or nothing new in Dada San, I mean.
Speaker 2: It's it's funny that you mentioned that the United States and the Africa advisors is starting to recognize it's not as easy. I mean, you know, very surprising that the Trump imfestoration advisors thought it was going to be easier than it is, but obviously not. Yeah, I wanted to ask a question also about kind of daily life right now for Saharawis. You know, it's been fifty years after the Madrid Accords, you still have Harawis under Moroccan control in the territory. And then there's of course the refugee camps in Algeria. Now that the diplomatic horizon seems to be narrowing, what's life like for people who are fighting for Saharawi independence? So like human rights defenders, the women, the students, you know, I know they face a lot of repression in Moroccan territory, but maybe you can describe to the listeners, Yeah, what the conditions are like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, it's probably not something intended to do but it's not Moroccan territory. It's Western Sahara territory occupied by Moroccle my mistake.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, yeah.
Speaker 3: So the situation there is difficulty the territory. There is a media black black heide that's imposed in the territory, so non international observer or a journal still allowed to access the territory and to see the situation.
Speaker 1: On the ground.
Speaker 3: The people there are morocco Is using both the stick and the carts, so trying to buy their allusions to the occupation, try to reward those who are willing to give up their political rights and so giving them out, putting them on social work for projects and those kinds. It's not a lot, but enough to survive. And on the other hand has jail and depression and the job cutting people from their job and making their life as miserable as possible to the point either they are announced their activism or leave the territory and in some cases there are sentenced to life in prison, which has happened to many Saharawi activists who have a group called their Music Group have been in jail since two thousand and ten, and yeah there are some of them are are serving thirty years, some of them twenty, some of them life sentence, and a few of them were released recently. So the situation is very difficult and very deplorable. And what makes it even difficult there in the occupied territory are out numbered, so there are three more can settlers to each. Those are very conservative estimates, it could be more so anything that's civil disobedience strategy or tactics will be bemit successful and will not produce any results. So it's a very difficult situation. But nonetheless there are still or per standing background or still despite all the oppression and all the economic warfare that Marc is waging against them, and the even social astralization to try to.
Speaker 1: Even threaten people around you.
Speaker 3: So if you are an activist, even your father, your people around you, they will be laid from their job just as the repercussions for your activism, So they can punish you if you don't care about or own self like they punish you through the people or inners call and your global close to you.
Speaker 1: So it's very difficult.
Speaker 3: And on the other hand, also the infrastructure there are are are not are not as fancy as Morocco try to claim. There aren't a single university, and Morocco is building more of jails and even the presenter Saha, they sentenced them and they when they're serving their senses, they put them far away to punish their family, to make them pay a lot of money and travel inside Morocco to be able to visit their loved ones instead of having them close by. Artists and occupied Western Sahara. So the stuition is very difficult. But those who are choosing to stand their ground are a reader of history and they are aware of the price that has to be paid order to obtain our freedom and our independence. And the darker it gets, we know that closer that there will be a another morning that's coming behind that. So we have been here way longer before Trump administration and his advisor, and we will be here. So it's the moroc I think that they think this is their golden opportunities and that they can use everything including the international law and international institution and body like the Johan to impose their acupation and Western Sahara.
Speaker 1: But again they aremist guided. At the end of the day, they would have to put up the table.
Speaker 2: And try to find I think from a pasting in perspective like the genocide in Gaza has clarified that the international system is not functioning. So you know, they're trying to use the international system. Countries like Morocco are trying to use the international system for legitimizing control. But the international system itself needs to be restructured. And I do also want to apologize. I meant Moroccan control of the territory, so I sincerely apologize for that. Yes, I also wanted to ask because we I mean, we have listeners everywhere, but especially for listeners in the United States. You know, our government here is driving this process. What would you want listeners in the United States to take away from this conversation or to do?
Speaker 3: To be honest, I have been to the States one time, and I have met many Americans, and I am a bead the reader of their media, and I follow their their famous podcasts and TV channels and Twitter, you know, discussion, and it's very obvious that American they don't care about what's going on outside America. They care about the prices of all all of house prices and rents and the college she is And.
Speaker 1: It's okay, I think it's okay.
Speaker 3: To a degree when your country is not involved in maintaining and parting and that your own taxes are used to maintain and support and finance genocide and other military occupation. Otherwise, then you have the luxury of ignoring what's outside.
Speaker 1: But when it's not, you can just like put.
Speaker 3: Your head on the ground and imagine and just going to care about what's happening here domestically and foreign policy. What's happening there is far away. Therefore, I don't, yeah, So I would like them to inform themselves about Western Sahara, understand that they have to push their government and functionally to the Western Sahara. At least, we don't have a politician in the United States who thinks that the occupation of Western Sahara will accelerate the arrival of the Messiah, and that it's far away, it has nothing to do with the ideology, with the religion, believe anything like that. And it would be easier, supposedly, and it will be less hesitant politician to take the right stand and the right position if enough people know there and they have a responsibility to learn and to understand, and that their money and their politicians and their foreign policy are taking tools on people past, present, and the future in a.
Speaker 1: Very practical way.
Speaker 3: And they don't have the luxury to be ignorant or to be to have the apathy. They have to just not care about what's going on. They should care because their money and their political support and their country resources are used against many other people and then anything happened. We have the Americans acting like we don't know what's happened. Why the rest of the world hates you. People hate you for the million of the things your government and your silence has done and has caused everywhere else. So they have to learn they have a responsibility. They have to speak to their local politician and their their representative in Congress and Senate and ask them just to do the basic thing to follow the international law and start supporting my local militarily and politically involved in them to continue their occupations and prolonging the suffering of the Sahai. That's the very bare minimum.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much. On that note, I will link Sharawi Voice in the show notes. Yeah, I think that people can can learn more about the work that your collective does. And thank you for making the time.
Speaker 1: Thank you for the invitation as an honor thank you.
Speaker 2: Take care, Take care. It Could Happen Here is a production or cool Zone Media. For more part podcast from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for it could Happen Here listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.