Speaker 1: The day is June eighteenth, Thursday, twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: This it is Disclosure Day. It was so this, you know, it's disclosed. I really liked Disclosure Day, but it was such a weird adaptation because they didn't talk about trans people at all.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, at the end when the alien comes out and then she pulls up her skin and it's candid.
Speaker 2: Oh, so that was supposed to be like that was kind of like a metaphor. It went a little over my head.
Speaker 1: She was wearing a lot of makeup. She's got some new work done. I don't know if you recognized her.
Speaker 2: I did think her head looked kind of big, but the rest of her was skinny. She's clearly on ozembic skinny rose.
Speaker 1: My favorite part of Disclosure Day is when they.
Speaker 2: Said this is Disclosure Day.
Speaker 1: It's disclosure Day.
Speaker 2: My favorite part of Disclosure.
Speaker 1: Day never to start.
Speaker 2: My favorite part of Disclosure Day was when the Cardinal Cardinal the Casey Musgrave song, when the Cardinal flew into the room and Emily Blunt hit the ton k and hereditary boom new I'm right right now, I'm I can I'm mewing, and I can also read all your thoughts and I know that your transsexual. Rose.
Speaker 1: What am I thinking right now?
Speaker 2: You're thinking it's actually kind of easy that you want to suck off Josh O'Connor. No, that was so close though, I was you were thinking people should see stop that train.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, we're getting ahead of ourselves. Okay, a little preview of what we're about to talk about in this episode. But before we do, Yes, we did miss our episode drop last week due to unforeseen tragedy circumstances, unforeseeable circumstances. Will chat briefly about it because Rose wants to, and then you know, we'll carry on with the rest of the episode. Rose, what we were down bad last week?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So my grandma passed away last Monday. She had been in the hospital for a little bit and passed away very suddenly last Monday. It's weird to talk about because you know, when I tell when I have it's only been a little over a week, and when I've told people, oh, yeah, my grandma just passed away, I think people don't really know how serious it is because grandmothers are very different figures in a lot of people's lives. I think a lot of my friends, grandmothers are these sort of like remote figures who are mostly you know, features in their childhood and like they have a lot of love for them. But my grandma was a really huge part of my life for which I will forever be grateful. You know, she was really young when I was born. She was only forty nine when I was born. I had really young, kind of vital grandparents my whole life, and it's only in the past couple of years that you know, she really kind of felt like the grandmother that everyone expects you to be talking about. And I am having a really tough time. I'm saying that now because Friend already knows it, and I would like our listeners to know because I care about all of you, and I know some of you care about us, and also because I want I want the world to know my grandma. She was really She was a really amazing woman. I also think anyone who has read my novel Best Woman knows how important family is to me. In a very complicated way, my grandma was, you know, inspired one of the characters in Best Woman. I thanked her in the acknowledgments. My grandma just loved me and her children and all her grandchildren a lot. She was really amazing. When I came out as trans, I actually cut. I gave the eulogy at her funeral, and I had a little bit of it where I spoke about her reaction to my transition, and I didn't end up actually saying it at the funeral, just because it felt like my place was more to be the representative of all of her grandchildren. So I just want to say here. You know, when I told my grandma was trans ten over ten years ago, she told me she had known since I was a child, and even though she you know, in the first couple of years, sometimes got a name, names or pronouns wrong, like I always knew that it was just it was a mistake. It was never ill intentioned, and after a certain point it stopped happening. And my grandma was incredibly supportive of me. When I did my book tour and I did a stop in my hometown last year, she was sitting in the front row. She was my biggest cheerleader. She was also really glamorous and fabulous.
Speaker 1: I was going to say she was a style.
Speaker 2: She was a style of icon. I think she and I look a lot of like my sister, my.
Speaker 1: Sisters, my mom exactly.
Speaker 2: This looks so much like her. I'm even getting my hair colored this week to like look a little more like her, just because I really want to keep her alive. And you know, the thing is, I have been so worried about forgetting things about her, and I think what I've realized and what I kind of said in my eulogy and have really been saying to my siblings and cousins and my mom, who is really going through it having lost her mom, is that I could never forget anything about my grandma because there's all these, you know, indelible parts of me that come directly from her. She was this unwavering pillar of support in our family. She was extremely passionate and creative. She was a really amazing woman. Her name was Harriet Weisman. She was my grandma for almost thirty eight years, and that was not long enough. And I will miss her every day. So thank you all for I don't know, listening to that waiting around, being around. Thank you for uh dealing with our absence last week. And I guess that, I guess dealing with me. I might be a little less funny than usual. I'm I'm still kind of adjusting to this new reality. Grief is really weird. Uh, this is the closest death to me I've ever experienced in my life. So it's going to be an adjustment period. But doing this show, I think will hopefully be healing and at least talking about stupid stuff like Disclosure Day. We'll keep my mind off things for an hour.
Speaker 1: Well, I was just about to say, baby, I organized a Disclosure Day viewing with a one Rose DOMI and a group of our friends last night to distract you. And boy were we distracted, you.
Speaker 2: Know, you know, like the original The original plan was we were going to see Stop That Train again. And then I realized, like, oh, I actually, like I can't watch a movie that I've already seen and I need to be totally swept up in something and enthralled. And honey, I was enthralled during Disclosure Day. It was, let me say, a dumb movie. But that is a feature and not a bug in my opinion.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh yeah, it was very very stupid if you were Okay, So if you're not aware of this film Disclosure Today.
Speaker 2: It is a film by Steven Spielberg and it is very kind of classic Spielberg. You know, he loves an alien movie. He loves like psychic phenomena, and this this was really giving. I think out of all of his films, the one it felt felt the most similar to was Artificial Intelligence. But you know, the logline is that Josh O'Connor is playing this whistleblower from a private company that has been that has been suppressing information about aliens UH and their contact with humanity for decades he uh. Simultaneously, Emily Blunt is a news anchor who is having these weird experiences and which mostly involve mewing directly into the camera and at mewing at various ci animals. And they are trying to share the truth about aliens with the world, and Evil Colin Firth is trying.
Speaker 1: To stop them, right, Evil Colin Firth actually kind of slays Coleman Domingo plays the guy on the phone, the guy in the laptop kind of trope. He's the guy that is like remotely kind of managing the situation. And I will say they found in a secret agent film. Oh yeah, it was kind of like involving like an FBI agent usually has like a guy on the yes, you know, a guy that's the laptop, a guy in the control center that was Coleman. And I think you're making a really good point and something that I actually liked about the film, but I think might be what's not going over so well with audiences is this is not so much like a huge explosiony action movie. It kind of plays more like a spy thriller in a way, because, like, weirdly enough, the objective of these people is that they have to get to a local news station in Kansas City so that they can play all of this alien footage live on TV, because that's the only way they can prove to the world the aliens are real. A ridiculous premise for a film in twenty twenty six, as if anyone would not see footage of, you know, proving literally craving the aliens were real and wouldn't either scroll past it think it was a deep fake, or be like, okay, whatever, who got kicked off All Stars last week?
Speaker 2: You know it's that's.
Speaker 1: Literally the tea, That's okay. So, like, if we're starting with the thing that to me, the fatal flaw of the film is that all all of the suspended tension or like the overhalling. The majority of the stakes of the film rely on this like truth of the movie that I don't think is true to real life, which is that if humans were shown substantiated and unequivocal evidence that aliens exist, everyone would stop what they're doing and be.
Speaker 2: Moved, and like everyone would like no one would can even even position it against some vague geopolitical conflict, Like at some point in the movie, they're like talking about how their World War three is about to start. People are in gas stations, like stocking up on you know, bottled water and toilet paper, and so I guess the movie is trying to pause it like this information would be so literally earth shaking that that wars would end because we would realize that the real important thing was aliens. And I have to tell you, as someone who has been living on Earth these past couple of years, that has we have at various points gotten like proof about aliens and weird shit, and no one gives a fuck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Spielberg literally like he loves aliens so much, and you can tell he cares a lot about it because he's supplanting like his kind of like kind of like reverence for extraterrestrial life and the possibility of it, and and kind of he's like like laying it over what he he's kind of like just placing it onto the general population. That's just not how the general population feels. I don't know if the Disclosure Day is like literally working with the Pentagon right now now, but like the last I think three to five days, like the Pentagon has released more videos and images of like UFO sightings. I think it's like the third batch of like documents images and no one gives up. No one fucking cares. Pop crave is literally tweeted.
Speaker 2: I saw it the other day.
Speaker 1: A photo of Menda's back, Yes, like literally a photo Shawn Menda's back will like get more retweets than like this UFO, like this literal Pentagon UFO sighting like no one fucking I do.
Speaker 2: Think because Steven Spielberg loves to go heavy on a theme, and this movie is chalk full of themes. It's almost more themes than story. Like none of the characters are really real, none of them have like any sense their interiority and and let me and they're like their vehicles. I really enjoyed the movie. I give it four stars on Letterbox. It was so really enjoy and I was I did not think about a single thing while we were watching it. But I think what Spielberg is trying to say, and like he has the characters more or less say it in a couple different ways, is that like truth is the most important thing in the world. And I actually think this movie is more a commentary on like the the age of you know, misinformation and fake news than like literally about aliens. And I also think it's about empathy. There's there's kind of a really poignant moment, like one of the better written things, one of the better written kind of monologues in the film, where one of the characters talks about how truth is important, like that everyone has a right to know everything and and oh no, no, sorry, I was talking about empathy.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: What they were saying is that that that the specific aliens in this film, which I did like there like very classic alien They look like what everything is like you know, the the nothing like the first the first clip we see of the aliens is from the Roswell Crash. So basically where this movie is saying, like in the world of this movie, like every alien sighting has been real. But and then it talks about Nixon can see aliens, which is but the point I liked that they made was that the aliens because Emily Blunt is gifted this, you know, like telepathic ability, and Coleman Domingo delivers this speech which he says, like to the aliens, they see us having evolved past empathy when they actually view empathy as the the ultimate evolutionary peak. And that I thought was very beautiful and is is such is such a Spielberg idea, like he's so ooey gooey and cheesy. And there were moments in the film that that really like sung to me like that, like there was even there's a there's a part where Emily Blunt finally links up with Coleman Domingo's character, and the way her power works is that when she looks at someone, she knows everything about them, and he asks her why she won't look at him, and she says, because you know everything. And when I look at you all know everything and I don't want to know everything. And I thought that was such good writing. And then there like there are moments like that, and then there are really dumb, stupid moments and like bad piece of dialogue and all this shit about people actually caring about aliens that they like no one ever would have cared about. So it's dumb. But like I again, I think that's a feature. I think that's why I liked it. I agree.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, I something that I was thinking about when I was watching the film. I just couldn't stop thinking about, just like us, what it means to what a Spielberg movie is, and and I forgot how it feels to watch one. The last Spielberg movie I watch was Westside Story, which I actually really loved. But before that, it had been like ten years, maybe more, since I'd seen a film like probably like Tintin was. What do you think is your favorite Spielberg Probably Hook? But I really really love Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom. I obviously really love Jurassic Park.
Speaker 2: I'm a Minority report girl.
Speaker 1: I love No.
Speaker 2: I've never seen Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I would really like to. I know a lot of the discussion about this movie is like people being like Steven Spielberg has already made a better version of this movie, and it is Close Encounters of the Third Kind. So I would like to revisit it. I don't know. I think this film has caused a lot of hand ringing online by people who have because I think people are seeing that the box office numbers are somewhat disappointing and they're like, it's crazy that even Steven Spielberg can open a movie and like he's lost the sauce. I don't necessarily think he's lost the sauce. I actually think this movie, had it come out in like ninety four, would be a classic. But we this movie has not.
Speaker 1: We're desensitized to the things that Spielberg would like us to not be disensitized.
Speaker 2: Yes, and the world has moved on, but he hasn't. And this movie does feel very dated.
Speaker 1: It does, but that but here's the okay, so here to to my back to the point of like what makes us Spielberg film? This is part of like what I was thinking about. I kept watching the film and having like a kind of immediate or gut reaction to certain things and be like, oh, that's so cheesy. Oh that's so corny. Oh like we've this is like so uninventive, Like we it's like all these different kind of like tropes about aliens, images of.
Speaker 2: Tropes about characters like Colemon Domingo is a textbook magical Negro character in this film.
Speaker 1: Kind of yeah, like things like that. It's like very like not, it's very just like yeah, and then and then and then I was kind of like, well, maybe that makes you feel a little nostalgic for you know, the peak of Spielberg's career. Actually, I mean he doesn't really have a peak, but like maybe like no he died, I would like when he was making Any seventy and the other alien movies, and like, yeah, you know what I mean, like he I wouldn't say. I don't think peak is the right term. I think it's kind of like, ye.
Speaker 2: The golden age of Spielberg, Yes, when I mean he kind of invented the idea of a summer blockbuster. He directed Jaws, which kind of was the first summer blockbuster, and he has kept creating that. I just think as a culture, we've kind of moved beyond those movies.
Speaker 1: And like certain tricks he uses cinematically for suspended attention, certain shots that zoom in on people's faces or that have a certain kind of genoesequa of like like yeah, just like him as a master's suspend attention. They're all things that all the their filmmaker's reference now and repeat, and so now when he does it, it's like it feels.
Speaker 2: It feels tired dated when he was the one who invented it, but it's not.
Speaker 1: He invented it. He invented it, and so like, I don't know, there there was something I think it's funny, we we. I really was comforted by this film. I don't know if I'm gonna watch it again, no, but I was so comforted.
Speaker 2: I was. There were some really thrilling sequences. There's a there's a there's a chequence, yeah on with a with a train stop that train promo that was really amazing. I don't think. I actually think the biggest problem with this film is the writing. The film was written by David Cope, who looking at his credits, he's written a lot of really shitty movies. It's a lot of like bad sequels and prequels and like he wrote Jurassic World, Rebirth and oh like Secret Window, that like weird depth movie. He just like does not have very good credits. So I'm not which one was Rebirth. Rebirth was the most recent one with Scarlett Johansson and Jonathan Bailey and his slutty little glasses.
Speaker 1: Actually, I can't remember if I've seen the Julianne Moore Jurassic Parks.
Speaker 2: It is the third one.
Speaker 1: I think I need to see it.
Speaker 2: Well, have you disclosed?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Today it's Disclosure Day, and you know what, one day we will get an accurate adaptation of the documentary Disclosure about trans People Jen Richards.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, girl in the car Home, Laurel and I could not stop saying it. We were like, this is Disclosure Day, Like it's so.
Speaker 2: Oh my God. Sitting next to Laurel during that movie was such a game from God because she really kept me entertained the whole time. It was so weird how we were cackling through the whole film and the rest of the audience was dead silent. The first time Emily Blunt mewed, we were screaming, and the theater was and the theater around us was like a ghost town.
Speaker 1: We did have most of the time, uh laughter domino effects. We would laugh first and then the rest of the theater would laugh because we were laughing as particularly, there was one moment I camera what it was. It was probably just another crazy shot of Emily Blunt with perfect makeup, perfect lash lashes, face in the shape of.
Speaker 2: An incredibly distracting Veneers.
Speaker 1: Mewing the housetown mutes, mewing the house down mutes yes, and Laurel just goes like that and then the whole theater erups in laughter. It was so it was so weird to not be on the same vibe.
Speaker 2: But you know what, I just leaned into it. I was the person who led the applause when they said in the film, this is disclosed.
Speaker 1: It's disclosure Day.
Speaker 2: I mean that was worth the price of the ticket, honey, although I didn't pay for the ticket. Do I owe you for the ticket?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I haven't even asked people Venmo yet all anyways, but this is disclosure day, and today I'm disclosing to you Rose Dom you.
Speaker 2: I'm transjob me too.
Speaker 1: What's the whole time?
Speaker 2: The whole time?
Speaker 1: Okay, So, because we touched on it, I think maybe we'll just like quickly talk about Stop that Train. We were going to see Stop that Train a second time. Now we're like, I'm not supporting that film, but an actual to day I still really do want to see it a second time.
Speaker 2: And I'm not wanted a second time for like neural reasons. It's mostly just because once was enough.
Speaker 1: Well we I The one of the number one reasons I wanted to go is because I was like, I want to buy tickets to support are the film maker. Yeahaul, Yeah, I want to I want to put to queer art. But yeah no, I was like I want this. I want Stop That Train truly genuinely, actually I want Stop That Training to be a box office success. And I was like, I want to buy tickets, but instead we supported, you know, unsung independent filmmaker Steven Spielberg, which I'm also proud to be a part of that.
Speaker 2: We're basically his patrons.
Speaker 1: Yes, but virgins if you're not aware. Okay, we talked about it last time. There was an AI controversy surrounding the immediate aftermath of the premiere of Stop That Train. Adam Shankman. Basically, people saw the movie online They're like, that looks like really shitty AI. It's really just city, And then Rose and I were kind of talking about it. We were like, no, it's like maybe just really shitty CG. And like people are assuming that it's AI because it seems like something that the movie would do. It seems like something Rude Paul would do. It seems like the kind of movie that would use AI. And Adam Shankman made a statement at that time saying there is a sum total of zero shots zero conceived by AI in the movie. And Rose did clock that the word conceived is maybe a little ishy. What does that mean? Sounds like a little you know, you're talking around something. And I was kind of like, no, what I mean, Maybe he's on the right side of her story. Lo and behold Extra Magazine with the scoop in an interview with Extra Magazine. Not that Extra, but there's like a queer magazine called Extra.
Speaker 2: They interviewed me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they interviewed you. They also interviewed Adam Shankman recently and asked him about the AI again and he.
Speaker 2: Oh, well, no, basic thing is no, I don't know if you saw this. That interview was done before he made the no AI statement. No, Oh, I didn't read.
Speaker 1: I didn't see that. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So they switched like as Nicki Minaj said, so in.
Speaker 1: The in diametric opposition to what he had previous to what he had said in the public statement, he says to Extra Magazine, some of the windows were AI. There was only one AI shot or two AI shots of the train. The rest are CG. Most of the CG is the train, then out the windows is mostly AI, but the Florida station, that's all that CG and different license imagery. Okay, girl, if you used AI, why would anyone ever do? Two windows right? And the knives AI?
Speaker 2: You're like, we used this, you know, lazy cost cutting measure, but we only used it twice.
Speaker 1: We only used it twice. Girl, There's no way you only used it twice.
Speaker 2: Wasn't even on set. They just a eyed her in use a you know, like every season of that Grace.
Speaker 1: Well now home girl, husband caught lying and so there's no world where and we'll believe anything he says.
Speaker 2: Ever again, Ever, unless he says they're making a sequel to Hairspray, I would believe that.
Speaker 1: And mind you. In his original in the public in the public stamen that first reached the public, he was like, there were hundreds of computer generated to get CG artists working on this film, and I was like, look, I believe that it's shitty CGI, Like I believe that there is shitty CGI in this movie, but like, I just don't under I'm like, girl, clearly you used AI probably a lot.
Speaker 2: But I think and this could be wrong, but from what I read when you look at the actual credits of the film, there were only I think one or two VFX artists listed on the film, which, if and there were a lot more people with sort of like ill defined visual jobs, that seems like maybe they were just a I prompters literally, oh girl.
Speaker 1: Allegedly like allegedly, allegedly allegilated allegations.
Speaker 2: It's very disappointing just because you're right, I do think this is this was a film peop we especially were very excited to rally behind, and I uh, it's it's the lying and the the the mixed messages. I think if he had said something along the lines of like, yeah, we use some AI, I don't feel great about it. But this was a really low budget film and it was the only way we could get it made, I maybe would have been a little more forgiving. But the lying in the.
Speaker 1: Lying for me says anyways, tell it to me straight, tell it to me.
Speaker 2: Get that train. Was there a train? Was there even a train. Was there even a train to stop? So you know, make your own decision about you know, whether or not you're going to see stop that train. I still think it's a good time.
Speaker 1: I think it's a good I think there's I think we should still see it.
Speaker 2: I wanted to give some recommendations to both of you and the listeners. Yes, well, first I want to assign some homework. I'm really loving the new Olivia Rodrigo album. You said you seem pretty sad for a girl so in love. I Fran has not listened to it in full yet, so we're going to discuss next week. Everyone listen at your leisure and we will talk about it. But we both watched some new to us films this week. The one I want to talk about. So when I was home, we were with my mom and my sisters. The night after my grandma's funeral, we watched Moonstruck, which was her favorite movie. Y'all know that we love Moonstruck on this podcast. And then and the next night we watch Terms of Endearment, which I've never seen. It's a nineteen eighty three film starring Sherley McClain and Deborah Winger. It's sort of in a way kind of like proto Gilmore Girls. It's about this mother and daughter who are like way too close and like all up in each other's lives and just kind of about their different romances and lives and heartbreak and cancer. It's very much a tear jerker, but it is an incredible film, super performances from Sherley McLain, who won an Oscar for it. Jack Nicholson won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor. It won Best Picture. It's really it is like sometimes kind of cheesy in that way that tearjerkers often are, but the script is so good and like that's kind of where I see the Gilmore Girl like more than anything. It's like, yes, there's like the mother and daughter who were too close of it all. But it has this really kind of like snappy, almost overwritten, like very like naturalistic but heightened dialogue. You know, like the characters talk like they're in real life, but they also talk in this like very heightened movie way. And it's a really it's a really good watch. If you have seen it, chime in in the comments let us know what you think about it. Fran I think you will love it. Deborah Winger is like now one of my summer style icons after watching this film. It also features a young hot Jeff Daniels who is extremely say.
Speaker 1: Love young hot Jeff Daniels. I it looks like it has the makeup of everything I would want in a movie, and yeah, I'm I'm down to watch it. It seems like, uh, is it sad?
Speaker 2: It's extremely sad, but it's also very funny and it's giving kind of I've actually never seen this, but like it's giving still Magnolia's you know, like warm, funny, female centric movie that ends in a very sad way, but like it's still really touching and moving and like you feel good after after watching it, even though it's very sad.
Speaker 1: I am adding it to my list versions added to your list. I the as Roh said at the beginning, we both return. We we we have movies that are new to us, meaning they're nostalgic. You should add them to your qu if you haven't watched them. I for the first time watch Uptown Girls Believe, which.
Speaker 2: Is Uptown Girls.
Speaker 1: My god, what I've never seen Uptown Girls this, This is why we started this, or least well, I know one of the greatest films. I've ever seen sheets of a jet shot.
Speaker 2: Ah, that is a fucking pop.
Speaker 1: It's a banger. It should be on Spotify. Maybe I could get Spotify. I love this film. If you are not familiar with the premise of the film Uptown Girls.
Speaker 2: I would I would guarantee that ninety nine point nine percent of our audience I've seen Uptown Girls. Look.
Speaker 1: Maybe the look this is like a virgin Maybe virgins listen to this show. Okay, I mean I know virgins listen to the show in general. But yeah. The story follows Molly Gunn. She is a NEPO baby. Essentially, she is the daughter of a famous rock musician who's passed away. She's living off the royalties of like her rock dynasty family. She is a quintessential New York girl slash socialite. Maybe the film opens with her birthday. She's going to a birthday, her own birthday party at a club. She wears a fucking beautiful and iconic bloomern dress.
Speaker 2: Costumes such good early aughts vibes.
Speaker 1: I don't know, actually, if I've had a reaction to a dress like that in a long time, A such a visceral envy and be like I want that dress more than anything in the world.
Speaker 2: Oh see, I felt that way about the sort of pink like White House Press secretary dress Emily Blunt Warren disclosure to day.
Speaker 1: That also looks so good. But wait, she does she hear that?
Speaker 2: But I didn't. I did not think it was cute.
Speaker 1: Oh I thought I thought it looked good. I was like, literally thought that you looked.
Speaker 2: At she looked like she looked like she was a real tur on selling sunset.
Speaker 1: She did actually look like that.
Speaker 2: Rose.
Speaker 1: Did you know that this the dress, the Bloomerine dress that Brittany Murphy wore is now owned by Ivy Getty Because I love I was like, where is that dress?
Speaker 2: Now? That makes sense?
Speaker 1: That tracks I'm pissed.
Speaker 2: That dress to me is up there with like the green dress that Jennifer Gardner wears and thteen going on thirty, Like it's an iconic early aughts pop culture movie dress. I thought you were gonna say the green Versaci dress, that j Loog dress. We have to put it to rest.
Speaker 1: I mean, it is the most famous dress. Well it's tough.
Speaker 2: I mean, the most famous dress is the dress? Is the dress? Dress is the dress?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: And also kind of the dress from Mother Mary.
Speaker 1: Literally, well, okay, so there's this socialite lo and behold, it's discovered that the bookkeeper for her parents estate essentially is a scammer, disappears, and all of a sudden she is penniless. She's being evicted from her luxury town you know, her luxury apartment in uptown Manhattan, and to make ends meet, she takes a job as a nanny for a braddy little eight year old or nine year old girl. I think nine.
Speaker 2: Made impeccably by a young Fanning.
Speaker 1: And this Dakota Fanning's character is like a type a full grown adult in an eight year old's body, kind of like I've had it kind of energy. And they are beautiful foils for each other because Brittany Murphy is the kind of manic pixie, the quintessential manut pixie dream girl in almost every film she's ever been in, but especially in this film.
Speaker 2: I would call her a manic pixire dream girl. And girl interrupted, Oh yeah, sure, okay, I mean she was definitely manic.
Speaker 1: She was definitely manic, and like she's you know, she's chaotic, she's erratic, she's unpredictable and Dakota Fanning is like likes order, likes cleanliness, predictability, is a germophobe, all these different things. And to be honest, I had only put this film. I thought this film was kind of a was kind of a in the rom com category, and it's like, I mean, it is a little bit, but it's not. It's a story about two women. It's definitely in the thirteen going on thirty category, maybe like Princess Bride kind of category in that it's like, actually more because the actresses are so compelling, it is more about them than it is about the romance. It's more about the singular person and their journey than it is about the romance. I don't know if that makes sense. Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the romance there is a romantic subplot in the film, but the real romance is between Brittany Murphy and Dakota Fanning. And I don't mean that in a pedophile way. I mean that in a you know, they like they need each other and they form this you know, like sisterly friend relationship that is their bond is so real, the realness.
Speaker 1: The real. But yeah, I think part of what I'm saying is like with this film, thirteen going on thirty or Princess Bride or like films like it. It's like, when we talk about these films, we don't say, oh, a beautiful rom com. Oh the thing I remember about the film is the romance. No, that's not what you remember. You remember the story of a girl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like it's it would be called like you know, in the early two thousands, we called we would have called if this was a if Uptown Girls was a book, we would have called it chick lit. You know, we would have said, it's this category the story of a girl. These are women's stories.
Speaker 1: These are women's stories, and you know stories are so are soul loved Uptown Girls. Okay, I'm wondering if there is anything else to discuss.
Speaker 2: Okay, I need to talk about the worst travel experience of my life. Oh, Delta, when I find you, so, Delta work, what you got to do with that? So, as we know, I had last week was Roses very bad, no good week, and I was already dreading, you know, leaving Florida, not being with my family anymore. And it was made even worse by the fact that I had to travel almost a full twenty four hours to get home because Delta was fucking playing in my face. My flight Sunday night was delayed, diverted to Baltimore. I was supposed to arrive home in New York at ten thirty Sunday night, did not arrive home until the next night. I had to check into an airport Holiday and Express in Baltimore at four am Monday morning. Then that day went back to the airport only to sit on the runway for five hours because two planes had been diverted and were loading next at gates next to each other in the airport, and they didn't tell any of us which plane to get on. We just had to figure it out for ourselves. That it was. That is like, you know, I've had I've had bad travel experiences, but this was legitimately the worst travel experience of my life. I have never been more tired and exhausted. I felt so bad for the flight attendants who were not even supposed to end up in New York that night. They were supposed to go back from Florida. Many of them it was their off day and they had to get back on the plane with having no luggage. One of the flight attendants told me she hadn't even brushed her teeth. I offered her my toothbrush. She was like, oh, that's gross. I did make a friend with one of the girls in my flight, and she gave me a xanax, So shout out to that girl. Her name was Lily. We bonded over having our names, although there was a weird moment where we were like telling each other like about ourselves. I was like, oh, where do you live? She was telling me she lived at Town. I was like, oh, yeah, I'm in Brooklyn. I'm in Clinton Hill, sort of your bedstide. And she was like, oh, that's not bad. And I was like, well, I wasn't presenting it as something bad, like I like living in Brooklyn.
Speaker 1: Meaning like, oh, you live in Brooklyn, you must be compromising.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. She's like, oh, like that's all that far out in Brooklyn. You know that's not bad.
Speaker 1: You're like, no, no, being far out is part of the heel.
Speaker 2: But you know, she did give me a xanax when I was milliseconds away from screaming on the plane, and I did get a little Kareny at certain points, and believe me, I will be channeling my inner Karen when I need to get a refund.
Speaker 1: Baby, Oh, you I mean you'll be getting a refund. You also need vouchers, baby, Oh, I want vouchress for days. But like, I'm going back to Florida next month, and I didn't book without with Delta because I just don't trust them right now, Right now, we don't take because hey, I have miles I want to use. But I'm I also have points with jet Blue, so I'm gonna I'm gonna fly jet Blue for the summer and then we'll see if Delta can win me back. But your days are fucking numbered. I don't even I don't just want my money back. I don't just want vouchers. I want to own the company. I want to be SHEEO of Delta. I I'm pretty sure this was Adelta Fly. I don't really remember where I was going, but I had a similar travel experience where I spent a total of over six hours on the tarmac and that was in a combination of three separate planes. I had to d plane two planes sitting on the tarmac. Yes, first first plane I think over two hours, second plane like easily hour and a half. Third plane like another two or three hours. It was cuckoo bananas, like, and I pretty sure I got a like less than eight hundred dollar voucher. Yeah, but you you got to push. I think eight hundred is the mark you should be trying to hit. I think eight hundred is a perfectly reasonable amount of money to get from the airline. I think that that's something they'll settle for. They're probably they probably have a lot of increase on that specific flight. I think that's something I know.
Speaker 2: I've already received an email that was just like we're sorry, Yes, we're sorry. That's it, just we're sorry.
Speaker 1: Wait, it doesn't say we're sorry. Here's like a free cocktail the next time you ride dollars.
Speaker 2: No, all they gave us was a hotel voucher and a twenty four dollars voucher for food. That's really and and like again like, I do not blame the crew on our flight. I will say those round crew at BWI they are on my list because I understand that the situation was out of their hands and not their fault. It was kind of the way that they were talking to us at two am as we had been deplaned, like we were crazy for being frustrated by it. It was just such a fucking nightmare. But it's over. It's over, as I think is this episode, and before we sign off, I just want to say this. In the last couple of years, as I realized my grandma was getting older and I was going to have less time with her, I was very intentional about visiting home more often, spending as much time with her as I could. I went there for her birthday for the past couple of years, and so I just want to say to anyone listening, hold the people in your lives close to you, if you can be intentional, spend that time with them. Don't have any regrets. I really don't. Even though I'm sad, I don't have any regrets. And I'm so grateful for that. And I'm grateful for all of you. I'm fran I'm so grateful for you. I love you so much. I could not have survived this week without you. Yeah, You're gonna make me cry to you.
Speaker 1: I love you so much.
Speaker 2: I love you. I love you bad. I love you down.
Speaker 1: I love you down.
Speaker 2: Diva.
Speaker 1: Uh, I would die for you. I would die for you. Anyways, I will see you maybe Thursday whole and this I mean today is this, and this is disclosure.
Speaker 2: Is Disclosure Day.