Speaker 1: Pushkin. Chino Morino is the lead singer of Deftones, the Sacramento band experiencing resurgence as a new generation discovers their nineties hits on social media. This year, Deftones have been selling out arenas while putting the finishing touches on their latest album, Private Music. During the recording sessions, guitarist Stephen Carpenter's health took a turn when he was diagnosed with type two diabetes. Chino stepped in to handle more of the guitar parts, approaching the album with newfound clarity after getting sober. On today's episode, Lea Rose talks with Chino about the band's early days living with their late bassist Chee Chang. He reflects on the story of their Around the Fur album cover, and shares his post show ritual, which often includes winding down with rom coms and his tour bus bunk. This is broken record, real musicians conversation. Here's Leo Rose with Gino Moreno.
Speaker 2: I was just listening to Private Music, and I was curious, Like the album starts so.
Speaker 3: Hard, so fast.
Speaker 2: It's got like that sledgy riff right off the top, Like how important is that first Like three seconds when you're sequencing the album.
Speaker 4: It's pretty important.
Speaker 5: I mean when we wrote that song, I kind of knew right away that that wanted that to be the first song on the record because I think the like you said, it's kind of this bombastic sort of sledge riff that yeah, and I loved Abes drumming on the song. I think it's really created what he does in the verses and the staccato intro as well. It's just like it kind of has a lot of elements that we're sort of known for, so it's familiar, I think in the beginning for the first thing to introduce the record, but I also think it's powerful and then the just you know, the song itself sort of has this like just great introductory phil I think too, like what's to come.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: You know what's crazy is that we we wrote the record in different sessions, like just getting together playing one we did in the desert, which was we probably wrote like five or six songs there, went to Shangri La, did another five or six songs, wrote them there, didn't record anything there but recorded what we were doing, but it wasn't.
Speaker 4: The actual you know, recording. We went actually after that we tracked it.
Speaker 5: So when we started tracking it, though, I already had a sequence in mind once we had of the songs, So we actually tracked the album in the sequence of the record, which was cool. So's that's something that I kind of like figured out early, Like I really had this mindset of like creating an album, the kind of that started in one place, went somewhere, and ended somewhere.
Speaker 4: I kind of liked that idea of doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have you guys ever done like a hidden track or anything like that, like any like special.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we did.
Speaker 5: That was like real popular in the nineties, I think yes on CD. So we we had one on our second record around the fir and it was pretty funny because it's like it has to be a part of the last song on the record, so the last song on the record, that being like thirty something minutes long or whatever, because we had like there was like a twenty minute like break of silence. It's pretty funny we we had. That was back when answering machines were still people still had answering machines in their in their apartments or whatever.
Speaker 4: So we were staying in this apartment in Seattle.
Speaker 5: We were recording, and Stephan Abe and myself shared an apartment, so we had our answer machine and our it was attached also to the intercom too, so like when friends came over, they'd pressed the intercom to call us, and then they'd leave the messages from either downstairs in the you know, in the intercom to our our answer machine or if someone called whatever, but we had our greeting on there. Was like super funny, Like it was like Stephan was like taking a bong hit and like, you know, call us back, you know what I mean, well over night, but we actually took that tape and we put that on there so that our little message thing was on as part of the hidden track. And then like a couple of minutes later, a bonus song pops in out of nowhere.
Speaker 3: Oh that's so cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember Alanis Morissette had one of those, and it came in like twenty minutes after. So if like you left the CD on, yeah totally, just like all of a sudden it started playing, you were like, whoa who is it.
Speaker 5: Was that on the Jagged Little Bit of album. Yeah, that was a great record. I mean it's crazy because that was also Maverick Records, which was where we were at at the time, So our records came out pretty close to each other, our first record and her record.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we had a kind of a close thing with that record. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's so cool. Yeah, that was an awesome era.
Speaker 2: So speaking of you guys living together, I know that I think like right after or maybe while you were still in high school, you lived with Chi right.
Speaker 5: Yep, right out of my parents' house. I was still seventeen. I kind of just stopped going to school. It was a senior quote unquot senior the normal high school I went to, and ended up going to a continuation high school, which is like sort of just where you go and make up credits and whatever, still get a diploma about you like, you know, you just kind of do textbook work. There's not really teachers and they're teaching. You're just kind of like going through textbooks and whatever. But we started playing shows actually, and we started taking little trips from Sacramento to like Oakland and San Francisco and just like d outskirts of a town and playing shows. So we'd get back from playing shows like you know, three in the morning, and then like and then I would just like end up saying over cheese house, and then I'd wake up in the morning and.
Speaker 4: Be like, I'm not going to school today.
Speaker 5: Like I kind of already had my mind made up that, like, you know, not that I would be successful with the band, but like I just was like that was kind of like my priority. And my parents were supportive. I mean, they were bummed I think that I like stopped going to school, but they were also a little preoccupied. My parents were actually going through divorce at that time too, so it was like I kind of slipped through the cracks a little bit. Like normally my parents were pretty strict about stuff, but like they were kind of dealing with their own things, so like I kind of just like was able to do what I wanted for the most part, wow, and really like checking up on me like are.
Speaker 4: You doing this, are you doing that? Are you doing this or whatever.
Speaker 5: So in a way, it was kind of I guess I got lucky in a way because I got just dived deep into music as opposed to like trying to do school and that. Yeah, I was able to really like focus on music stuff. But it was weird, you know what I mean. It wasn't like, you know, I was still kind of it was a bummer, you know what I mean. I was like one of the only kids at that point. We had a lot of friends whose parents were divorced, like when you grow up whatever, and I was always so proud, like my parents are still married, blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: And then right like you know, your high school league divorce.
Speaker 3: It wasn't like something you saw coming.
Speaker 4: Not really, no, no, Yeah, did.
Speaker 2: You guys sound like Deftones in the beginning, like when the band first started playing together, Like what did you sound like?
Speaker 4: I think, yeah, some of the DNAs there.
Speaker 5: I mean, obviously we were trying to figure out, like we were trying to figure out how to play our own instruments. I was, I was emulating a lot of what I liked, so like, you know, some songs, I would try to sound like Morrissey and sound like Danzing and like those things don't match. But like in a way, like I kind of came up with my own sound maybe because those things don't match.
Speaker 4: And I just liked what I liked and I was.
Speaker 5: Trying to take I was just taking influence from the things that I like enjoyed. Yeah, Also, like I listened to a lot of rap music back then, so I used to like to try to rap as well. And to me, I didn't think it was that weird to like put like rhythmic singing over some of the stuff.
Speaker 4: Whatever.
Speaker 5: My lyrics weren't really like I guess rap oriented lyrics where I wasn't like, you know, talking about things that I didn't really do. But I think just the format of like like the Cadences and things like that like that were inspiring to me. So I put like all those things together screaming from like I loved Pantera and Bad Brains and and so like just I guess all those little elements whatever, I was just kind of you know, emulating maybe each one at certain points, like a little bit more like where you can really tell, oh, he's trying to do this. And I think over the time, I've been able to, like, I guess, find myself within all those things and kind of have my own voice.
Speaker 4: I guess, I hope.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when did you find your voice?
Speaker 2: Like when do you feel like you were squarely standing in your own sound.
Speaker 5: I mean it would probably be I think definitely after our first record, because our first record is still hard for you to listen to because I can hear like myself not still like not being confident and not really knowing what.
Speaker 4: I was doing.
Speaker 5: I mean, I was so nervous on our first record that I didn't even write a lot of lyrics, like a lot of it's just like freestyling syllables and whatever. Like and then so like if you notice, like inside there's not lyrics in the record, there's some scribbled notes of me that I wrote whatever. So there's some words in there, but like some of it's not because I was so scared to commit to like what I was going to say.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just kind of like used my voice as an instrument more.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so that record's hard for us too because I can see exactly where I was whatever, just kind of non confident, like sort of still figuring out. Whereas maybe our second record, I think, you know, touring a lot from our first record and just like actually getting the opportunity to make a second record, which a lot of bands don't even get that chance, right, we got to signed to a pretty big label and yeah, and you know, we didn't sell anything close to like what Atlantis sold, right, so who's our label made? So like I mean honestly, that probably helped because I think our label was making so much money from Atlantis. Yeah that like they probably lost a lot of money on our first record, but allowed us to go and make a second record.
Speaker 4: Reallyant honestly, did.
Speaker 2: You have to like show and prove at that point to the label, Like, was there anything that you had to in a way promise them that we're going to bring next time to make the next album do even better.
Speaker 4: I don't think that there was early ever thatscussion, but I think within ourselves, I think we wanted to. I know I wanted to.
Speaker 5: I wanted to show and prove, like, wow, we can do so much better, because even if our first record was done, I knew that it wasn't as good as the band that we were becoming. So with the second record, I really think that we made a statement. I think it's probably still one of our strongest records to the state. And then after that we made the White Pony record, which was like a pretty big left turn to like where music was sort of at that point, where like a lot of new metal music what they were calling it at the time, which I guess they still call it that, but it was like kind of that was like kind of pop like on the Raino all day long, and we steered like far left of that and made the White Pony album. And the label wasn't actually really that stoked on it because of that, but they did support us a lot because they knew that it was still a good record. And honestly, that was probably one of the best decisions we ever made doing that, because I think it help with our longevity for sure.
Speaker 2: How hands on, was Madonna with a label because it was her label?
Speaker 4: Right? Yes? Yes?
Speaker 2: Was she involved with like the artist sound? Would she sort of be in like an executive producer position? Did you have any conversations with her, like creative conversations about what you were putting out?
Speaker 5: No, you know, no, not really, And I can only speak for us. Maybe she did with some other artists, but I mean, I remember the first time that we when we very first got signed. I went to the office and I didn't even know she was there. I went to go sit in my an r's office, the guy who signed his name's guy, And I was sitting talking to him and like staring at like, you know, face to face with him. The doors behind me, and the door opens and he starts talking to her. I just hear a female voice and I look over and I look up and it's her. And then she he's like.
Speaker 4: Oh, this is new artist, blah blah blah.
Speaker 5: And I was just freaking out because as like a ten year old and myself was just like.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: And then she ended up coming to a few of our shows, and like I remember one time we were backstage and we were about to go on stage and she was like looking me up and down. She's like, are you going to get ready? I looked down at my clothes. I was like, yeah, I'm ready. She's like, that's what you're gonna wear? And I think I just had a prayer like Dicky's and a T shirt or something on whatever, and she was like, that's what you're gonna wear, like kind of like and I.
Speaker 4: Was like, whoa, she's a come here.
Speaker 5: And then she like helped me like pulled my pants up a little bit, like help me fix my belt and whatever. And it was just like this is like surreal right now, But those kind of things are like, you know, like like a story like until today that still like brings joy to me totally.
Speaker 2: So I was going to ask you about like back when we were talking about you living with Chi. Since you've known the guys for so long, I feel like you can tell a lot about a person by the way their bedroom is. Do you remember, like growing up, what people's bedrooms were.
Speaker 4: Like, I totally do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like Abes or Chi or.
Speaker 4: Yes, Abe.
Speaker 5: I mean, so I'll use Abe as an example because this is great. I went to Abe's house for the first time. I think we were in seven, in maybe eighth grade. We're in junior high school, and I go to his house after school A skateboard over there, and I go into his room and he's got a little tiny room. I mean it's, you know, pretty small, but his drum set takes up his whole room.
Speaker 4: And it was his dad's drum set.
Speaker 5: His dad passed away when he was a couple of years before that actually, and he was in a band. He inherited the drum set from him, and he had so his room was just the drum set. And then he had a little tiny like mattress on the like in the corner, like where he slept. I don't even know if it was a mattress. I want to say, it was just like the blanket, started sleeping bag whatever. But he sacrifices like comfort. So it's like his room was just like his drum set. And then back then as when we had cassettes, so we have a whole wall of just like cassettes and a lot of like dub cassettes because that's what we used to be back in the day, like dub cassettes. And then like do our own artwork on him whatever, So whole wall of cassettes, you know. So I was just enamorated by his cassette collecting and it's just music, like his music ruled his life, so like that was his little world, right. That was awesome now now cheese. So we shared a bedroom when I moved in. It was a one bedroom apartment that we lived in, and he lived in there actually with his girlfriend at the time. When I would go stay the night over there, and then him and his girlfriend broke up and it could have had something to do with that. I was always asleep on the couch in the other room whatever, but she was finding like, yeah, it's either him or me or kind of thing whatever. But yeah, but she ended up moving out and then so I moved in officially and then we both shared room, so we had two like twin mattresses on each side of the room. But our room was a fucking mess. I mean, our whole apartment was. But it was like college off and it was actually on the college campus because he still went to school. The deal was his dad would pay half the rent as long as he was in school.
Speaker 4: So his dad paid half.
Speaker 5: The rent and then she and I split the other half. With the rent was so it was like the rent was like nothing. It was like it was like one hundred and fifty bucks a month, and it was in an apartment on kind of off campus a Sex State University. And I worked at the dining comments there, like the where they served the kids in the dorms stay lunches and dinners whatever, the dining home whatever, so.
Speaker 3: You could take food.
Speaker 5: Yes, so we used to like come home with food. Yeah, that's how we lived. But it was mostly just like beer. We just drank beer. And like she was, he's a couple of years older than then the rest of us actually, so so he was old enough to buy beer at that point.
Speaker 4: I was still young and he might not even been twenty one yet.
Speaker 5: But there was a store across the street that we could buy beer from so like, and it was cheap beer, like the cheapest beer you can buy.
Speaker 4: So like.
Speaker 5: Our whole balcony was just full of beer cans and it was like a total like I don't know, I guess what I would expect a front house to kind of write. It was just like us too, And then all our friends.
Speaker 3: Were there all the time, the hangout spot.
Speaker 4: It was just the hangout spot. Yeah, but it was awesome.
Speaker 3: So you must have been over high school.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't know, you seemed like you were beyond high school at that point, Like, I know, you're going to the continuation school, but mentally, it seems like you were already like graduated.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So yeah I did. I just stopped going to school. I stopped even going to the continuation school. And it was probably almost towards the end of the school year anyway. So I was kind of bummed that I didn't graduate. My parents were bummed that I didn't graduate. But other than that, I was just like, yeah, I was already. Like we started playing shows, and you know, we started to guard a small following even around Sacramento at the time, and we practiced almost every day and we just had fun. We were wrapped by the river, so we swam, like all summer, we're just swimming and like, yeah, it was like the time of our lives, really like making music.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and who came Did Abe come up with the name deftones?
Speaker 4: Stephan did? Oh?
Speaker 3: Stephan did yeah, And we.
Speaker 5: Were going to play one of our first shows and we had to buy tickets too. It was like one of the things pay to play kind of thing, but where we buy all the tickets and then we can We bought the tickets for a dollar apiece from the promoter and then we can sell them for three dollars so we can make a cop books up each ticket.
Speaker 4: But we did end up doing that.
Speaker 5: We ended up just giving away to our friends at school and whatever so we can have a pact for a show. And we were like, well, we need a band of we're gonna play a show. So Stephan said, oh, we're going to be called deaf Tones and I was like okay. So then Abe wrote it on the ticket, but he didn't even know how to spell it, so we spelled it like me a F tone whatever. Right, Oh, So we gave all the tickets away and he's like no, that's not how you spell it whatever.
Speaker 4: So it's like deaf, like you know, like the rap.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, like jamar or whatever.
Speaker 5: Yes, So I was like okay, so like yeah, it wasn't anything that was like well thought out or other than just you know, Stephan said, that's the name of our band.
Speaker 4: We said, okay, it's a great name. I mean, do you like it now? I don't know. I mean it's worked.
Speaker 3: I guess it's like you probably can't even think of it, like yeah, objective.
Speaker 4: It's silly.
Speaker 5: I mean most band names are silly. There's a lot of silly band names. But you kind of like the name takes on its own thing after a while, right, the music is kind of like whatever, and then you don't really think so much about the name itself.
Speaker 1: We'll be back with more from China Moreno after the break.
Speaker 2: Who in the band and is in charge of like the aesthetics? Like is there somebody who sort of keeps an eye on that or is it a collective thing? Like as far as the final album covers, the actual font of the band name has always been super cool. Is there one of you who is kind of like that guy?
Speaker 5: I'm pretty much the one that is like in the trenches with all that stuff. But everybody he's it, you know. I always I never do anything without everybody at least likes seeing, Hey, what do you guys think about this? And then there everybody's pretty easy going and they trust me, which is rad cool.
Speaker 4: But it's myself.
Speaker 5: And then there's a guy at Warner Brothers who has been working with us since the White Pony album by the name of Frank Maddox. So him and I like get together and brainstorm and like he's really good with graphic art and photography and so yeah, we just come up with random stuff and then we just sort of sort of start like brainstorming.
Speaker 3: And do you enjoy that part of it?
Speaker 4: I do? I really do.
Speaker 5: From everything from our T shirt designs to our like our so when we play our live shows now we have like these huge led screens behind us whatever, so there's like different content that goes on between during the songs, and then like some of it's imag which is basically like the live feed of us on stage in the crowd. But but I've been but like we throw filters on that kind of stuff whatever, and just the color palettes everything like I'm just like, really, that's kind of stuff is fun for.
Speaker 4: Me to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've seen like still shots of it and there's like pink like a woman's face.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I.
Speaker 2: Saw people on Reddit trying to figure out where those images come from.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a lot of stuff I research and find, like archive dot org is one one site that I've been going on for years and years, and it's just like all this like old archival footage of stuff whatever, some old movies like I like to find like old like rare you know stuff, And yeah, imagery and like sonics like those two things to me, Like, I love marrying those things together, whether it's like I mean, when I listened to music a lot of times, I'll see images and vice versa. I'll like look at the image sometimes and I'll kind of hear music. So really marrying those two things is always fun.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: And you've done some scoring recently, right, some movie scoring or show scoring.
Speaker 5: I've done some of it. Some I did, like this Hulu thing once I've done. Yeah, but it's something that I want to do more of. I haven't done anything recently, but I love I'm really into soundscapes and Yeah.
Speaker 3: That seems like something that you'd be really really good at.
Speaker 4: It still takes I mean, you have to know what you're doing. It's hard.
Speaker 5: Like coming up with the ideas, to me, that's the easy part, but like actually doing it. I like, I definitely help with that kind of the technical side of things. And then again it's like musically, I'm not trained professionally. I don't stand theory. I understand some. I'm trying to learn more. But that's kind of been my goal lately actually, as especially as I get older, is just working on piano, playing piano, taking less and playing guitar, learning chords, tunings, everything. Just that's kind of where I find fun now. Yeah, learning stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I heard Steffan saying that, I guess while making private music he he has type two diabetes and he started talking about it. But because of the illness, you had to do more of the guitar parts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, and honestly, it's crazy because I didn't I knew something. We all knew that something was going on with him at the time.
Speaker 4: Whatever.
Speaker 5: He was like very lethargic, Like during the writing sessions where he was there, he was present, but he was just like he just seemed run down, and like we'd start working on stuff and he'd kind of come in and he'd like, he just seemed like very slow. And it was hard sometimes because I would take it as like, like we got in a couple of arguments a couple of times where I was like, dude, look, what's wrong with you? Do you like not want to be here? Like I would just ask him, and then you get mad at me. You're like, what are you talking about? And I'd be like, how could you ask me if I want to be here? I'm here, and I'm like, yeah, I know you're here, but like you don't seem interested in what's going on. He's like, and he would get mad at me for asking that, but everybody else was thinking it, but no one else was asking this, So then he'd get mad at me for like confronting him about it. But we soon realized that, man, maybe something's going off to health. And then we were playing Coachella maybe I don't know, a few months after that after that one of those sessions and and we got a stage and he just like came up to all of us and he was like, you guys, I'm really sorry that, Like I played so bad, and honestly, I didn't really realize it. I noticed that he was a little sloppier than usual, but he was like, yo, he's like I was like having a heart standing up. He's like in my my hand wasn't like doing what, wasn't like responding to like playing these songs.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 5: And so I was like, yo, I was like, you need to go figure out what's going on with you. And he's been one of those people who I've always tried to self diagnose himself, like our golf YouTube and like be like, oh, well, this is what's wrong with me. And I'm like, dude, no, you need to go to the doctor. And no one really likes to go to the doctor. I get it, right. It's like, you know, sometimes it's like scary, right, especially if you feel like something's wrong with you.
Speaker 4: You don't want to hear do you know what I mean? But you you gotta know, right.
Speaker 5: So, so eventually he faced up and he went and then like and then I just like you just watched his whole like he just changes, like once he knew what was wrong with him, then he was like okay, and then he started to figure out the tools of it to deal with it. And now he's like he's an obsessive person where it's like anything he gets to do, whether it's like anything, just like he gets into he gets obsessed with it.
Speaker 4: So like how it's his health that he's obsessed with.
Speaker 5: So, like we share a bus together and he every night he's just like he's like, has this like his.
Speaker 4: Sugar mon like thing on.
Speaker 5: He's just like, look numbers and he's like, oh, look at my thing is spike here and it's blah blah blah, and I know so if I eat this, if I you know, and this whatever. So he's just like he's excited about it, and so like I just engage with him about it, and it's like I'm just seeing him like his like life come back into him, like physically and mentally. Like he's just like awakening because he you know, it's a it's a real positive thing that I'm happy with.
Speaker 4: But that's awesome.
Speaker 5: Back to what we were saying about as far as the writing stuff, so like during that time, I didn't realize that I was doing that. It was more or less like Okay, well we're here and we're just going to keep busy. So if he wasn't engaging. I would just be like, Okay, here's an idea, kamany, let's go boo boo boom, and then we'd just start working on stuff. But before you knew it, we had like almost the albums worth the material that where a lot of it. He didn't spearhead because of what he was going through whatever. So so in hindsight, yes, there was a lot more I think where I picked up the slack on whatever.
Speaker 4: But I enjoyed doing it too.
Speaker 5: I mean, I love writing music and I love playing with Abe and the other guy. So and it wasn't like a thing where I wasn't mad about it and he wasn't. Now I mean I obvious see it took him a while because he was I think before he knew what was going on and whatever, he was like and he's always going to maybe have been away where he's never really told me that. But it was weird when we did the Zanelow interview. He in the middle of the interview, he's like, I just want to say that, you know, Gino like really stepped up and he really like came through and blah blah, and he's like and that was the first time he ever like like complimented me or like our knowledge that, like you know, all the hard work that I put into the to the writing and stuff like that whatever. So like like I kind of got like a little you know, teared up a little bit. I mean funny the camera panned away from you because you can't see, but I'm there with my mouth open, just like whoa, like thank you for technowledging that.
Speaker 3: Oh that's so sweet?
Speaker 5: Right, yeah, I mean I was just it was it was like a you know, sentimental moment between friends.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a cool interview.
Speaker 4: I liked.
Speaker 2: That was just cool seeing you all together when you're in the studio, are you sort of I don't know if you saw the Beatles Get Back documentary, Oh yeah great.
Speaker 5: It was long, but it was like worth watching, especially if you're a musician. Like watching how they work and their dynamic between the guys, it was like.
Speaker 2: It turned them into real people for me, Like I didn't think of them as real people. It's like I understood their personalities and how they worked together and I had no idea, Like seeing Paul's roll, how he stepped up and he totally was like the task master and he's like the band leader.
Speaker 5: It's Orecm there like like George and they're just like showing his rifts and stuff too, and you're just yeah, WHOA, Like I don't know, I just love watching it because it's it's pretty funny because like most bands are the same, Like we all like there's so many cliches, like we all do the same shit, and like relationship wise, and like the kind of fight for you know this like underlying fight for like you know, who's kind of steering the ship sometimes, right, yes, And there's like with the Beatles especially, there's like there's a lot of great songwriting amongst all of them individually, right, So it's like how they made that work and how like you got to pick your battles and then you have to sometimes like not say what you're thinking and then sometimes also like tiptoe around certain things because as you know, that might trigger somebody or this or that whatever. Try to get your ideas heard, but like not take you know, not dictate what everybody should be doing. Let people come up with their own parts. And it's a part of being in a band. It's like you know, it's like, yeah, it's definitely like psychological like work.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, but I was thinking about that, like picturing you now in the sessions for this new album, Like are you sort of like the Paul McCartney of the group. I don't know about that, Like as far as you're like getting everybody in order, like organizing the chaos.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess so.
Speaker 5: I mean, we have a producer there that, especially with this with this record, Nick Rasky Lenox, who did this record.
Speaker 4: He also did a couple of workers.
Speaker 5: But one of the main reasons why aside from him being a great producer, but one of the main reasons for hiring him for this, for this record specifically, was for him to take on that role, you know, kind of take some of that off my plate, because you know, as much the band does trust me on certain things whatever, I still don't want to be the person that that's always kind of dictating like where we're going, what we're doing, and Okay, we're working on this song now or whatever, blah blah, and a lot of times they just like when we even were at sound checks, like Okay, what song are we playing, I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, I don't know what song you want to play?
Speaker 5: Like like I don't don't ask me all the time, right, I don't want to and I don't get mad about it, but it's just like, but it is very helpful to have someone else there in the room that sort of can just like be the sort of ring leader, right, and I can just work on my part.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I mean I think especially.
Speaker 5: To like I've had like three years of sobriety and just like a very clear minded now and focus, so like it feels natural for me sometimes to like make an order of things and like kind of keep track of what's going on whatever. Like my memory is like really crisp right now, you know what I mean. Sharp, And so I'm able to remember things really well. And like if I'm working with a a drum part whatever, like like I can like literally like three minutes ago you played this, but whatever, blah blah, and He'll be like and I'll remember, you know things like or maybe you know five years ago I would have not remembered. So it's cool to use those things, right, especially when we're working in work mode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally. And it keeps you it keeps you sharp. I mean, that kind of stuff is just important for overall health, for brain.
Speaker 4: Health as we get older, totally.
Speaker 2: You know, now that you're sober, you strike me as someone who's sort of romantic and dreamy and emotional. And I don't know if I'm just saying that because of the type of music I know that you were into as a kid, But.
Speaker 4: That's actually a lot of it. I mean honestly.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm just like a sucker for like all the stuff that I loved when I was a teenager. Yeah, and I still like look back to that time in my life as being like I can smell you know, what the air was like and what like. I'm just like really in tune with that time of my life and I reflect upon that time of my life a lot. And you know what's when I fell in love with music. That's when I love That's probably one of the first times I had a crush or this or that whatever. All those things are like really like milestones of like the human experience, So like I always draw from that.
Speaker 3: Would it help you with the substances to like get deeper into those feelings or can you still go there now? Being sober?
Speaker 5: Well, you know what I thought, I was like a big lie. I think I kind of fooled myself into believing that it was right. But yeah, but just created being creative in general, Like you soon figure out that like, yeah, I didn't need all that. I mean, not that I didn't make good music, like you know, being altered here and there, but and a lot of great music has been made that way or with being influenced by mine, altering substance whatever, but the fact that you know, you go through your whole life because I was pretty much since high school, I've been you know, like I was telling her, really just drinking beers and whatever. I never made music, you know, without that. So it was scary at first, right to think can I do this? Is it possible? And then once you do it, you're like.
Speaker 4: Oh, of course it is, and yeah that's good.
Speaker 5: All the clarity like I was talking about earlier comes along and then it's like, oh well, I'm even like I can do this, and I can do this, and you just start to get it's it's everything's more in focus, and then you can make sense of things a lot easier. And but yeah, I mean I still get lost though, too. I got I get I get lost in a good melody and a good you know story. I mean, I watch rom coms. That's that's one thing I do still like on the bus every night when I go whatever.
Speaker 4: I just like like romantic stories too.
Speaker 3: What's the last rom com you've seen that's really good?
Speaker 5: I mean I like dumb movies too, I like h like Proposal stuff like that. Like I love some j Lo movies. I love Yeah and Hathaway movies. I'll watch like all this like I don't know, yeah, I don't know why. I just like like those movies. I kind of like like turn off part of my brain. I guess whatever, and just like I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh, I want to ask you because I I know, like as when you were a kid growing up, it seems like with the band, you all of a sudden just made the jump and became a singer. Did you sing at all as a kid? Like were you inquire? Were you like singing around the house, Like was it unexpected? Like were your parents surprised at all of a sudden you were a singer in a band?
Speaker 5: I think so, yeah, especially because I was shy too, like pretty shy when I was young, So like I would sing along to records, but just to myself, right, not in front of people. So it was kind of out of nowhere, and really I wanted to I wanted to play the drums. To me, that seemed like the funnest thing ever, just like bang on these drums. I really loved rhythm that I still do. But yeah, I met Ad when I was in junior high school and he was already like a brilliant drummer, like you know.
Speaker 4: At twelve years older. I don't know what you were.
Speaker 5: So so I needed to find something to do if I wanted to be in the band with everybody. So yeah, Stephan actually he's the one who's like, oh, You're gonna be the singer and I was like okay, and he said he actually said that, He's like I heard you. How are you singing along with Danzig record or something whatever? Before he day you could sing? And I was like like like yeah, I was like okay. So it was like kind of cool that, like, you know, he made me believe that I could sing, and I really couldn't. I mean, it was really like trial by error a lot of it, you know, And it's kind of still is. I mean, I still don't really know what I'm doing. I just kind of I don't know, I guess just figured out as I'm going still to this day.
Speaker 3: Have you ever taken any lessons, like vocal lessons or anything like that.
Speaker 5: I did try at one point, and it was it was it was just super awkward. I probably should have stuck with it, but I but it was most things where like I didn't like the and maybe it was the teacher because like, you know, just probably like therapy, it's like, you know, you have one bad experience and then you can't say that it's all bad.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: Maybe it was just the actual thing, but it was like it just felt really awkward to me. It was like it's like they were trying to teach me how to sing a certain way that just didn't feel like natural to me. Yeah, I've always sort of just just respond did, like sonically to what the music is kind of you know, dishing out of me, and this is what I'm w I'm responding with this sound. So like if I was thinking too hard about it, I'd be like, well, this doesn't even it's not even fun. It doesn't I don't feel like I'm I'm naturally wanting to do. So that was my excuse for not going back whatever, But I'm sure there are techniques that I should.
Speaker 4: Probably not not too old to learn. I mean I did take from that.
Speaker 5: I did take a lot of these like kind of warm up exercises and things like that that are important that I still use.
Speaker 3: What do you do to protect your voice?
Speaker 2: I know at one point you had like some serious vocal issues just from screaming on stage, Like, well.
Speaker 4: It could be transparent.
Speaker 5: I think it was some scream but a lot of just like living wild too, like you know, drugs and alcohol and whatever and like not sleeping and you know, and so I think I just liked whatever. But I've noticed like the biggest thing for me is like proper sleep, lots of fluids. I drink a lot of water, tea, And there's really nothing I can do as far as because I do scream and I do sing, and I do it straight for you know, an hour and a half two hours, you know, at night, and physically like you have to rest. So it's like that's the main thing. It's like after the show, I'm usually quiet. I usually go on the bus and I don't talk much. Yeah, And I'm really like I really love getting good I sleep. And now that I don't drink, like I sleep really well, and so yeah, waking up and feeling invigorated and then kind of just like you know, do a little little warm up.
Speaker 4: I warm up in the shower.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: What do you do to sort of like get yourself in the headspace and just like physically get ready to be on stage and just to give all that energy.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So music is always something that's like like gears me up. So I listen.
Speaker 5: I listen to music, and then I also make playlists every day, which is really fun. So there's like a thirty five minute time where they change over from the band before us to when we go on. So so I make a thirty five minute playlist that plays in my dressing room, but it also plays in the in the venue, and so the crowd here is what I'm hearing backstage.
Speaker 3: Oh that's cool.
Speaker 5: It's kind of neat because I kind of feel like it maybe puts us all in the same sort of frame of mind before like the show show totally it and it changes.
Speaker 4: It's always like a pretty wild mix of stuff whatever.
Speaker 5: But they tell me like three two one play, I'll play it in my dressing room and it'll be playing in the in the venue. And then I get in the shower. Right then, the shower sort of just like regenerates me. I think a little bit the steam helped with my voice. Yeah, and then I get dressed, brush my teeth, and then I'll do maybe I'll do some push ups or whatever. I have a little rolling a pham roller.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, stretch on that nice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just kind of maybe some jumping jacks and just kind of like hide myself up. That's pretty much it.
Speaker 3: And then what do you do when you get off stage? Like how do you come down?
Speaker 4: Same thing?
Speaker 5: Shower right away. I think the shower in vigorates before the show. And then obviously when I got stage, I'm soaking wet. Usually just get in the shower and then you know, put on dry clothes. And usually they bring me food in because I don't eat usually like I don't know, four to five hours before we go on stage, because that's weird. But I'm never hungry when I get off stage too, So yeah, get me fooded, and I'm always just like just take it to the bus. I'll eat it later. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, but but yeah, I usually call home and check in and then I've been going to pretty much straight you know, to the bus. I'm pretty boring, man, I don't like it's not as crazy as at least it was at one time, right, Yeah. I don't drink anymore, so it's like, you know, I don't have the need to like go out and socialize too much.
Speaker 2: Yes, Are you like peopled out at that point? Like do you want to be by yourself?
Speaker 4: Kind of?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I mean I really do enjoy like the silence of just like you know, being on the bus and it's just on our bus now it's just myself stuff and then our assistant and our photographer, so it's just four of us on there.
Speaker 4: So it's really quiet.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, watch movies, play video games, kind of just really really relax.
Speaker 2: When you call home and you talk to family, Like if you talk to your wife or whatever, like do you tell her about the show or do you just talk about regular stuff?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I mean she always asked me how was your show?
Speaker 5: And like, my it's like, you know, when somebody ask how are you always say oh, fine, you know, at the show, whether there's stuff going on, I always.
Speaker 4: Just say, oh it was fine. Yeah. I won't get into too many details of it. The show's happened.
Speaker 5: Great, But but you know, sometimes there'll be a little like an audio thing or something will go haywire. Like last night we were playing a show and there's a few songs that I played guitar on that I use the RF mic on, and it wasn't turned on, so like the first verse, I'm like singing into it, and I'm like, oh, there's nothing coming out of this. So that you know, Tech runs on stage and he goes and he like turns the mic on. Okay, there you go. It wasn't turned on, but so like.
Speaker 3: It's like, come on, dude, one oh one, yeah, turn it on.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: It's one of the things where like I think years and years ago, I probably would have like lost it, you know, where Yeah, I think my patience is like a little better these days where I'm just like, Okay, shit happens, and and uh just laugh it off, and you know, I think people understand. I think I think probably back in the day, I would have like maybe felt embarrassed or like just Matt exactly like that's one on one, What the hell I got mad about it? Whatever, But it's like it's a mistake, and yeah, it was like the first half of the verse was.
Speaker 2: Not there, but yeah, and it's probably like so loud in there anyway, Like maybe people don't really notice, you know, Oh I.
Speaker 4: Think they realized. Oh really yeah, yeah, I think they definitely realized.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's part of the live experience though. It's nice to see, like, you know, bloopers and stuff like.
Speaker 4: That that we don't you know, use playback. How about that?
Speaker 1: Well, let's break when we're back with Lea Rose's conversation with Gina Moreno.
Speaker 2: Going back to the Deftones album covers, what are your would you say or your top five favorite album covers from Deaftones?
Speaker 5: From Deaftones, I like the Quino Yo Kan cover, which is a photo taken by the the artist Futura.
Speaker 4: Oh wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was like he we had talked with him about designing an album cover for us, and then we did a couple of different things, but ended up just gravitating towards this photo of his, which was like he took it in this hotel somewhere in China or something.
Speaker 4: But the picture itself, like you can't really tell. It almost looks like outer space.
Speaker 5: It's just like it's really like you got there at it whatever and kind of figure out what if it's the actual place and it's like I think it's a view through this class through towards the elevator or something. But I just it looks kind of otherworldly and and it's just like it's pretty and I like that cover a lot.
Speaker 4: What else? What are the album cover do? I like?
Speaker 3: What about around the fur Man?
Speaker 4: Honestly, like.
Speaker 5: Now I can appreciate it whatever, but like you know, and it's so weird that like even like as far as like our merchandise goes, like that T shirt with that album cover on it, like it is like one of the biggest sellers, like so many, but it's such a random photo and it makes no sense at all. And it was, honestly just like we were our photographer. The guy who was doing all our photos for that record, this guy named Rick Cassick, and he was from this magazine big brother from It was a skate magazine, and he and they ended up going out to do like Jackass and all that stuff whatever.
Speaker 4: So he's like in all the Jackasses stuff like that.
Speaker 5: But he was like the videographer photographer, and he was a good friend of ours, and he came to Seattle when we were recording that record, and he took all the a bunch of photos of us and then just photos of us hanging out like outside of the studio. So that record we were like all like twenty two, maybe we were still pretty young, and like when I look back at that record, it was like I don't remember hardly any of actually like recording the record, I remember everything.
Speaker 4: Outside of it, Like just like we were just like wild, like.
Speaker 5: Out every night, partying, driving around, listening to the roughs from the day and like that album cover was like after the we had like this jacuzzi at our apartment, the same one that were me and Haven and stuff, and we have the answer machine. Think there was a yeah, a hot tub downstairs.
Speaker 4: Whatever.
Speaker 5: So every night we'd like, you know, after at the end of the night, after all our bar happened, we'd go with everybody we'd meet from the bar, let's go back to our players.
Speaker 4: We're gonna gota.
Speaker 5: And that photo was just like from a random night there or whatever, and it was like it got mixed in with all the other photos from the thing. So when they came and spreading all the photos out for the album cover, that picture was there and like it was literally just like everybody pointed at that one.
Speaker 3: It's such a cool photo.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's very nineties too, so nineties, so it like really represents that time. It's kind of funny.
Speaker 3: Do you know who that girl is?
Speaker 4: I mean kind of she was.
Speaker 5: She was a friend who we befriended while we were there in Seattle, and I did see a thing the other day.
Speaker 4: It was cool that she was.
Speaker 5: They showed like you know then and now, so it was her Like now, she's probably our age now too, like you know, maybe late forties, early fifties, and she's holding up the album cover and she's like smiling, this is me, you know what I mean? Whatever when she when she was young as well, but who knew, right, It's like that like even when she was asked, hey, we want to use this for the album cover, but then thinking that like thirty something years later whenever, whatever, it is that like that would be such an iconic photo with like T shirts and all these like teenagers now wearing that picture on their T shirt.
Speaker 3: It is very nineties. That's such a good call.
Speaker 2: Like it's kind of like has like that kids like the movie Kids that asthetic or even like pre American apparel.
Speaker 5: Totally, and it has but like like the fish eye kind of lens of fact whatever. So it's like, you know, it's very like kind of like Beastie Boys. He kind of like go to like nineties kind of like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Flair, do you ever think back on those times, like the debaucherous times are just like, oh my god, I can't believe I survived that.
Speaker 5: Totally. I had a lot of good time. I mean we had fun. Yeah, we were kids. We were probably doing what we should have been doing, right. I mean, for the most point, we were like in a rock band, like you know, touring the world, like going places and doing different things like all out like walking the streets Paris or whatever at three o'clock in the morning, going into you know, different bars and meeting random people.
Speaker 4: And doing whatever.
Speaker 5: Was like yeah, I mean like you know, let's have fun. And it was my youth and whatever. But uh, you know, at some point, yeah, it's like I realized that I'm not once people that can just like just like have a little bit of fun and then just like you know, go to sleep, Like.
Speaker 4: I just like I'm having fun, Let's keep going.
Speaker 5: And that's I think what like the definition of like someone who's an alcoholic, right, So I had to learn that I don't denounce like a. I think a is great for people who especially works for I don't do it, but I don't live under the pretense of that, like you know, I'll never have a drink again either. I think that's kind of helped me stay sober too, is because like I don't feel like, oh my god, I'm never gonna have a drinking Like I honestly like want to be in my seventies sitting on my porch, you know, as an older man drinking a beer, petting my dog or whatever.
Speaker 4: Like I can foresee that at some point in my future.
Speaker 5: But I just like, like, right now where I'm at, I feel good. I'm on tour, I'm out here, like I like doing this sober. I like this part of life and doing it. But so I don't look at it as like and I'll be all thing and you know whatever, this and that whatever. But I just know it works now and I feel good, so I'm just gonna keep doing it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that makes sense. Living through what you've lived through, experience what you've experienced.
Speaker 2: As a father, were you like extra protective because you know what's out there, or were you sort of like let your kids experience things the way that you experience things.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, luckily that my kids haven't tested me that bad. I mean, I have good kids. I'm so lucky for that, especially my two older sons, who you know, they like, you know, and everyone.
Speaker 5: If you talk about like like the parts that I was probably that I'm probably ashamed about now is whatever is like you know, when my kids were coming of age, like when I used to live in Soccer, when I used to have like a I had a bar in Myles had a tiki bar downstairs, which was awesome.
Speaker 4: I loved it. Yeah, but it was.
Speaker 5: Like, you know, every night, like my friends would be there playing records, you know, sitting at the bar just drink or whatever, and my kids would be upstairs, you know, and I would like, you know, what do you guys want for dinner?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: We want Chinese food? Okay, I order them Chinese food.
Speaker 5: They want a new video game, Just buy a new video game kind of whatever, and they just kind of like you know, spent a lot of hours like on their own, just like you know, doing the same thing as I like upstairs, hanging out with their friends, playing video games, eating, you know, whatever they wanted and whatever. And now in retrospect, it's being like, man, it's like and I was busy with my friends downstairs, you know, still like living like I was on tour kind of thing.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: So now in retrospect, I can't get those times back with my kids when they were at a certain age where I wish I had spent more time with them, right.
Speaker 3: But you were young though, when you've I watched it.
Speaker 5: I mean when I was twenty years old, when my son was personal was more so I was pretty young myself. Yeah, but even in spite of that, like, I'm so lucky that my kids like have grown up and have been very responsible and are like upstanding sins and you know, they they work and they they hustle still and they don't expect like you know, just they're good. They're a good hearted kid. And yeah, my daughter is super smart. She's like she she's in college and she she's in college. Yeah, she's she's a junior in Calle. She's going to be twenty one next month. Too, So like, oh, now they're gone, you know, because everybody's like, oh, you're empty nests. I'm like, Nicks do all dogs like you can't. I can't just do whatever I want whenever I want. Like, the dogs are like a lot.
Speaker 3: How many dogs you have?
Speaker 5: So I have two, you know, little pugs and their rescues and they're they're they're awesome. But yeah, they're like a lot of work in there. But I love it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Maybe deep down I don't want to be an empty nester. I think that I have something to be responsible for, like all the time. It's like something that I need.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have you guys started working on the next album yet?
Speaker 4: Oh? I don't know.
Speaker 5: No, I don't really I feel I mean the record just came out like three weeks ago, two weeks ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, sometimes there's like stuff left over, and no.
Speaker 4: We do. We do have some luck.
Speaker 5: And my idea would be maybe if there's like a soundtrack opportunity or something like that, I think it'd be fun to go back and finish those things up, if for a specific thing or something like that. But but as far as I going in to make like a complete new record, I mean that's like at the long process. Yeah, yeah, I'm going to enjoy, like, yeah, just like not doing music and playing I started playing video games again, which is kind of Yeah. I didn't allow myself to play video games while I was working on music because I just feel like, if I have time to do this, I should definitely have time.
Speaker 4: To do it. My job is, so what games do you play right now? I'm just I'm playing these Star Wars. Like there's this platform game Falling Order. I think it's about for a while.
Speaker 5: There's a new one now that I but I want to play the beat the first one first.
Speaker 4: So it's just kind of like an adventure game. You going.
Speaker 5: There's like puzzles and stuff and I got to figure out, which is kind of cool because I feel like I'm still using my brain and figuring out.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But at the same time, it's like I'm just like getting to be a little kidding in and just like it's not music. As much as I love doing music, sometimes it's like it's kind of healthy, I think, to like do something.
Speaker 4: That's not music.
Speaker 2: I was watching an old interview with you, I think it was from ninety eight, and it was from some like Dutch TV show.
Speaker 3: Anyway, you were in a.
Speaker 2: Pool hall and you were talking about the thing that was most important to you was that the band had longevity, and you were like, you didn't care about the sound or the genre that you were placed in. The only thing that was important was longevity. And I was thinking, I'm like, okay, so you achieved it, Like here you are. How many years later it's twenty twenty five and you guys are bigger than ever. Does that feel like a miracle in your mind? Or does it feel like it was written? Like no, wonder.
Speaker 5: It definitely feels I don't know, a mirror. It's crazy to think about it, really is. I mean, it all happened so gradual, though, I mean obviously a lot more happened over the last few years kind of without our doing, you know, But like our career itself, like we were never like one day just kind of going and the next day we were the biggest band in the world. We've always started gradually growing as a band. Yes, we've had some like lulls in our career, for sure, But to look in retrospect now, for sure, it's like whoa Like, you know, last night we're playing a soult out arena and I'm looking out there and everybody's holding up their camera lights, are their their phone lights whatever, And just I'm like mesmerized by how many because you really get to notice when they do that, like how many people are up yeah, two hundred yards away, like you know, in a top back seat at a concert. And it's just like this is insane and seeing the demographic could be all over the board, across the board, parents and their kids and you know, so no, even if I did say that back then, I definitely didn't expect it to go to fruition.
Speaker 4: So I'm like bugged out by it for sure.
Speaker 3: It's awesome though, Yeah, awesome.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much for doing this. I appreciate it. Thank you, and have fun tonight at the show that's talking.
Speaker 1: Check the episode description for playlist of our favorite Deftones tracks along with their new album, Private Music, and don't forget to visit YouTube dot com slash Broken Record Podcast to watch all of our video interviews, and be sure to follow us on Instagram at the Broken Record Pod. You can follow us on Twitter at broken Record. Broken Record is produced and edited by Leah Rose, with marketing and help from Eric Sandler and Jordana McMillan. Our engineer is Ben Holliday. Broken Record is a production of Pushkin Industries. If you love this show and others from Pushkin, consider subscribing to Pushkin Plus. Pushkin Plus is a podcast subscription that offers bonus content and ad free listening for four ninety nine a month. Look for Pushkin Plus on Apple podcast subscriptions. And if you like this show, please remember to share, rate, and review us on your podcast app. Our theme music's by Kenny Beats. I'm justin Richmond.