Speaker 1: Podcasting from the Hip Hop Weekly Studios. I'd like to welcome you to another episode of Civic Cipher, where our mission is to foster allyship empathy and understanding. I'm your host, ramses.
Speaker 2: Job, he is Ramsy's jah, I am q Ward. You are tuned into Civic Scypher.
Speaker 1: Indeed you are, and today to say we have a special guest, that would be an understated gross understates absolutely, but we only have this special guest for a small amount of time, and so normally where we would go through all of the pleasantries of you know, hitting our segments and features and so forth, We're just going to cut to the chase and get right to the good stuff. We are joined today by the one and only Eric Holder, the former US Attorney General during the Obama administration and the first African American to become deputy Attorney General in US history. He is currently Senior council at Covington and Berling, where he successfully tries discrimination lawsuits and has represented several life sciences companies in litigation and investigations. Eric Holder, welcome to the show. We appreciate you spending some time with us today.
Speaker 3: Well, I want to thank you all so much for having me. I'm looking forward to the conversation.
Speaker 2: So we were lucky enough to be in the same room with you recently. Talk to us about campaigning in the swing state of Arizona for the Harris Walls campaign and what that experience has been like for you thus far.
Speaker 3: Sure. I was in Phoenix, I guess probably about ten fourteen days ago, and it was a great experience, a lot of enthusiasm there, a lot of people I think, really anxious to start voting. And now early voting has actually started in Arizona. So I want people to make a plan and to vote early in person. You can do it now and do it by mail. Go to Iowa vote dot com if you have any questions about that. But Arizona plays a particularly important role this year. There are seven states that are going to decide this election. I've been quoted as saying, you know, Kama Harris is going to win by She's going to get five million more votes than Donald Trump, but that doesn't mean she's going to win the election. It's going to be decided seven states. In Arizona is one of those states, and so people have to get out and vote. And I think black folks have to make sure that they get out and vote, because so much of what is of concern to us is going to be decided about who the next president is. And we know who Donald Trump is, and we also know now who Kamala Harris is. The choice could not be more stark. And so I hope that all Arizona's and especially African Americans who live in Arizona, will get to the polls as quickly as possible.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure, Now, Now I want to ask you a question, you know, as someone who has you know, your level of insight and oversight on the topics like these, what sort of things have the voters in Arizona been particularly interested in? Or what sort of things should Arizona's voters be interested in?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I think that's a really good question, and I think, you know, people need to make an intellectual decision here the factor in some degree of emotion. But I think you know, people have been focused in Arizona and other places around reproductive rights, around protecting the right to vote, around issues related to the climate. These are all the kinds of things that you see motivating people that people have talked to me about as I've gone around the country, and certainly what I heard, you know, when I was in when I was in Arizona. So I would think those are the kinds of things. And it's interesting that in Arizona you've got, you know, some down bout measures that you've got to focus on as well that kind of demonstrate again what I was saying. You know, the state Supreme Court there decided to keep in place an abortion band that goes back to the Civil War. Arizona's are going to have the ability to say to Clint Bollock and Catherine King, to Supreme Court justices that they shouldn't stay on the court. They have it's called the retention elect you can say that they shouldn't. Republicans in Arizona, sixty six percent of the people serve in the state legislation in Arizona believe that Joe Biden didn't win the twenty twenty election. Their election deniers, and so you can vote them out of office as well. But those kinds of things, democracy, protection of democracy issues, reproductive rights, climate, the protection of voting rights. These are all the things that people have been focused on around the country and in particular in Arizona.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've seen some added focus on the state of Arizona, so we know that Arizona is pivotal with this upcoming election. We noticed that former President Obama will be in the state of Arizona this week, and on a recent appearance, President Obama made some remarks regarding black men. He said, I quote, part of it makes me think, and I'm speaking to men directly, part of it makes me think that, well, you just aren't feeling the idea of having a woman as president, and you're coming up with other alternatives and other reasons for that. Now, do you have any thoughts on those statements by former President Obama?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he was expressing a concern that he had. My hope would be that those marks made people and men in particular, think about, well, you know, if I'm not for Kamala or if I'm thinking about voting for Trump, you know what's this all about. And you know, if you look at Donald Trump and if you're black, you got to remember this is a guy who labeled Barack Obama as not being born in the United States. That was racist. You know, he was a birth he started that stuff. He was also the person who wanted to execute the Central part five, those five innocent young black men charged improperly in New York. You know, many years ago his company would refuse to rent to black tenants, had to be sued by the Justice Department. So that's who Donald Trump is. If you look at what Kamala Harris has said about her agenda for black men, you know, a million small business loans, FI giving up to twenty thousand dollars to black entrepreneurs. She's championing education, training, mentorship programs to help black men to get good, good paying jobs. Focusing on health issues that are particular concern to black men, prostate cancer, mental health, you know, diabetes, and then legalizing marijuana and making sure that African Americans have the ability to succeed in this new marijuana industry. So you compare, you know, who Donald Trump is what Kamala Harris is proposing. I don't think the choice is is a difficult one. And I think Brock was trying to say that if you're having doubts, you know, look at the facts, look at the facts, and make a decision based on those facts and then vote early. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So let's go with voting early, because you mentioned that earlier and I made a note of it. But also you and I were talking before you came on, and we were checking with each other to make sure that we had both voted early. Talk to us a bit about the importance of early voting, like what impact does that have and why should people vote early if they're able to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for me, I always vote early because it's like a protection thing. You know, there's a problem with my ballot, I don't want to find out about it, you know, if I've not filled in something correctly, if I for whatever reason, didn't bring the necessary I D with me, I find out about it, you know, that day, and then I have the ability to come back, you know, a couple of days and make sure that my ballot is actually cast. So I think it's it's it's a protective thing. And to you know, Republicans try to make it difficult for certain people to vote. In African Americans to vote, They come up with all kinds of things. You have to see it, make make sure they have your necessary I D. And make sure that you're in the appropriate place. And if you have questions again go to I will vote dot com. But I think voting early ensure is that you also have the ability to decide when it is you're going to vote. You know, maybe you're doing something on election day. Your hours at work will not allow you to be at the polls on election day. You know, voting early or voting voting by mail allows you to you know, work, voting in which is really important around the other parts of your life. But the thing that really drives me the most is that protective notion that I get to the polls, if there any see that my ballot is accepted, is there any issues I can come back, you know, later in the day or the next day and make sure that my vote is actually accepted by the system and then is ultimately counted before we let you go.
Speaker 2: You touched on this a little bit already. When we are headed to the ballot box and we are about to cast our vote. Some of the things that we should consider making an intellectual choice, of course, but of course, as you stated, there is some emotion involved. Recently, Vice President Harris announced a new Opportunity Agenda for black men. Talk about some of the ways that could impact people who are still trying to make up their mind about how they should vote men in particular in this election, yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, as I was saying, you know, this notion of small business loans to focus on help black entrepreneurs, mentorship education programs, focusing on the health of black men, and and then coming up with ways in which you allow African Americans, particularly men to be engaged in, you know, the legalized marijuana industry. I mean, that's that's, you know, kind of that's where her specific opportunity agenda is for African American men. But I but I think, you know, you have to look at at at her record. You know, I've heard some people in the community say, well, she's a prosecutor. Well, guess what, you know, I'm a prosecutor or. I was a prosecutor. But the question is, you know, what kind of prosecutor are you? And I'd like to think of myself in the same way that I think of of Comma, as somebody who used the power that we had to go after people who did negative things in our community while making sure that our people were treated were treated fairly and equitably in a criminal justice system that too often has turned its back on black folks. You know, I was proud of the fact that when I was in the Justice Department, that we had a drop in the crime rate, and we also have the smallest number of people in the criminal federal prison system that we had in forty years. And that's the kind of things that I did, and that's consistent with the way in which Kamala conducted herself. And what we have to always remember is that I want people to be treated fairly in the criminal justice system, but I don't want people in the criminal justice system at all if I can possibly help it. And that's what she has tried to focus on herself, to try to come up with ways in which you prevent people from becoming involved in the system. And always remember that the vast majority of African Americans are nothing more than law abiding folks who simply want to do the things that every American wants to do, you know, send your kid to school safely, make sure feel safe in your house. And so she is about protecting people, but also making sure that people who become engaged in the system are treated fairly and with dignity.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and you know, I think that it's really critical that we doubled down on that because, in our opinion and our estimation, the easiest way to change the system is to do it from the inside, you know, or do it from the top down. And so that seems to be consistent with you know, your legacy as you mentioned, and Kamala Harris's legacy as well, you know, Ramseys.
Speaker 3: That's that is a really important point. And when I came out of law school, that was a question that I had asked myself. You know, how did I think I could have the best the greatest impact. I'm a kid of the sixths, you know, so I was demonstrating taking over buildings, you know, all that kind of stuff. Sure, and how how could I best impact the system? And the determination I made was to go if I was a prosecutor, a person in law enforcement making law enforcement decisions, that I could have a greater impact than if I was a defense attorney just representing the interest of one person. Now, defense attorneys are extremely important, you know, and they play a huge important role in the system, but you've got to have good pricecutors were making sure that the right people get charged with the right crimes, asking for appropriate sentences, and then so also making determinations about even if somebody is arrested, a case should not be brought against that person, and I thought, I think Kamala believed the same thing, that that's the way in which we could have the greatest impact on making the criminal justice to said system, you know, more fair than it historically has been.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And I appreciate you saying that. You said that much better than I ever could. I know that we are over on time. We appreciate the extra couple of minutes with you. I know you have to run, but before we let you go, I want to make sure that I say it as often as I can. Donald Trump did not send you twelve hundred dollars. That was a Democratic Congress that sent you that twelve hundred dollars. Donald Trump held up that twelve hundred dollars because he wanted his name on the check. And if you think that Donald Trump went to his bank and took that money out and sent it to your house, you're playing right into his hand. Is for everybody listening, want to make sure that you know that Eric Holder appreciate you taking the time to talk with us. It's been a joy and an honor. Indeed, this is something we've very much been looking forward to. So thank you so much for taking the time. Once again our guest today, former US Attorney General during the Obama administration, the one, the only Eric Holder.
Speaker 3: Well, thanks for having me and you all are doing a great job. I am extremely proud of you two young men. You all are doing a great job.
Speaker 2: Thank you, brother, We appreciate you. Man