Speaker 1: From Mahart where Innovation, money and power Collie in Silicon Valley, NBN.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde and Ed Ludlove.
Speaker 3: I'm Caroline Heine Bluemug's World headquarters in New York, and I'm Ed Ludlow in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: This is Bloombay Technology.
Speaker 3: Coming up full earnings coverage ahead salesforce and jumps after forecasting profit the top estimates and showing signs of momentum in cost cutting.
Speaker 4: And Elon Musk says the advertiser boycotton X may kill the platform. Will break down his comments and look at the rollout of Tesla's cyber truck plus.
Speaker 3: Today marks one year since the public rollout of chat GPT, bringing AI into the spotlight and sparking a wave of investment and hiring. Will dig in to what that one year anniversary red means. But first that's checking on these markets because while we're coming to the end of the month here and what a month it has been, but in the short term we just perhaps give off some of those profits. We see off about nine ten percent on the Nasdaq. Look the PCE, the number, the inflationary indicator coming in basically where.
Speaker 5: The market had anticipated.
Speaker 3: So they're already priced in the good news and maybe we sell the fact we'll look at the ten yure YELD actually just bouncing up a little bit after what has been a roaring November for the bomb market as well. I mean, just phenomenal by everything rally for the November month, and we're seeing Crypto just giving off a little bit, but look hardly any movement there down a by a tenth of a percent, moving on, and I just want to give you the context of where we've been this month because an extraordinary move high that we have seen in the Nasdaq overall, and we've given well, well you see over the last actually there is Bitcoin over the last month that's up some nine percent, Nasdaq itself up well ten percent on the months, which has clearly been the best month for the Nasdaq since January, and Bitcoin as well, up more than nine percent. Really, it's been in everything rally, risk on and what about the individual movers.
Speaker 4: To It's been a really busy twenty four hours in the earnings context with Technology Snowflakes strong outlook boosting that stock up almost five percent. HPEU graded at Morgan Stanley which is adding to a two day rally. It posted results Wednesday night, you'll remember, but it is showing real strength. Then a thriller for you in the story's face, pure story is giving a weak sales outlook that really hammering the stock. And then elsewhere, big rival Newtoni's actually upgrading its billings forecast that's supporting that stock. The main earning story is Salesforce, and you're right, the story with Salesforce is that it's cost discipline, its cost cutting is showing a real path to boosting profitability. The stock up six and a half percent, putting it on track for its biggest jump since March.
Speaker 2: Is this the Mark Benioff effect?
Speaker 4: Is this him listening to the investors and acting while the stock seems to be reacting such that it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, look at that up more than six percent. Let's get to it with our own Salesforce reporter bringing Brody Ford, and.
Speaker 5: It does seem to be this new era of cost discipline that really benefits Salesforce. Is there underlying revenue generation going on?
Speaker 2: Hit to you, that's everybody's fear, right.
Speaker 6: I mean, it was a year ago, about a year ago today that Salesforce said that their co CEO is stepping down. It kicked off as kind of unprecedented wave of chaos.
Speaker 5: Right over the period of a quarter or two.
Speaker 6: We saw executive resignations, activists, investors.
Speaker 7: Taylor is right, right, but yeah, and ultimately though they raised their profits incredibly, it made people very happy, but then it made them very scared because then revenue growth started slowing down.
Speaker 6: What we saw last night is that as long as revenue growth stays stable and profit keeps going up, well that's good enough for now.
Speaker 4: Hey Brady, how does AI play into that story? I know it's something that any off flights to talk about.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so they're really big hope here with AI is that it can help bring revenue growth back up. That's immaterial for the current year, but they're hoping that when it comes to next year, it'll help, you know, upsell people on most new so descriptions. Right, You got to pay a little extra to get the chat bar in your apps where you can use that to automate your processes, ask good questions, bring in your favorite large language models, and so there you have been pretty much putting AI into every single press release you can find and it. You know, the cat is out on whether it will truly boost revenue growth the way they hope.
Speaker 4: Doomber's brady for busy earning season. For you covering Snowflake as well, Thank you very much, all right. The other top story. Ever since Musk agreed with an anti semitic post on his social platform X earlier this month, that was November fifteenth, the billionaire has been under fire Caro from the White House, several test investors. But for the first time since that post prompted the global backlash, let's be honest, Musk has apologized to his choice of words, saying that the post was quote the worst and dumbest he's ever done. That was during the New York Times Deal Book conference in New York. He also said his trip to Israel was planned before the advertiser backlash and wasn't an apology tour. So, I mean, look, you and I were talking about this this morning at our desks. This is an apology first and foremost, and then an exploit expletive laid in message to the advertisers, which was basically, don't advertise.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's not apologizing to them.
Speaker 3: He might be apologizing to the media, to the user base, to those that he feels have perhaps misunderstood his messaging along and certainly once again time and time again saying he's not antisemitic, but many will point to the way in which he interacts on his own social media platform as not being clear and consistent with that thought.
Speaker 5: But putting to that to one side, the fact that.
Speaker 3: He can basically bring Bob Iger's name into the conversation on stage explutive least as you say, and basically saying, look, you're the ones that are killing X. Meanwhile, I mean many would say is he the one killing X in the respect that it's his own actions that perhaps push away some of these advertisers, but also he's the guy who could perhaps sustain it.
Speaker 5: He's got the money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you know.
Speaker 4: There are the debt equation of Twitter and X and how he bought it. There are the equity holders in X, the platform formerly known as Twitter. That basically what he said, and it's fair to point out. On November fifteenth, he regretted that post, but he said he immediately followed up with the clarification that the media ignored in his words, and as for Bob Byger, he basically said, hey, Bob, I'm sure you're in the audience. We think that's a reference to Disney CEO Bobbieger, though he wasn't explicit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and probably they'd been together in the green room perhaps before of that, because Bobbigo had been speaking at the same conference as well.
Speaker 5: But all of this basically is noise around what.
Speaker 3: Is going to be a big main event for one of his key companies, Tesla. We just referenced how some investors have been concerned about the way he's been behaving on his social media platform, and we want to be bringing in Craig Trudell now on the fact that actually what he wants to dominate the headlines today is a cyber truck unveiling RNE.
Speaker 8: I don't think I'll have any trouble doing that. Of course, it's a pickup that made an awful lot of headlines going back four years now. Right, So, this was a truck that they showed very famously or infamously, I guess, depending on your view through the metal ball at the windows they cracked.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of people.
Speaker 8: Who were in the room sort of gasp when this truck was first shown and you know, some weren't really sure how serious it was.
Speaker 2: It's dead serious.
Speaker 8: It's finally ready for deliveries a couple of years late. But it's no question that this one's sort of a head turner and you know, sort of as polemic a vehicle as they come, you.
Speaker 4: Know, Craig, the pickup category, be it electric, hall combustion engine, is just sacred in North America. And you know, donah Hole has written really smartly about how Musk has been signposting for like years that this is really ambitious, is not going to be easy to build.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I think she did a great story this week, you know, really drawing parallels between you know, this is their first pick up. They had a first suv years ago, the Model X. That there's a lot of similarities in the way Musk has talked about these two, you know, with the Model X, you know, he talked about, you know, regretting the fact that they sort of overloaded it with technology, and then he's gone on to say that he's overloaded the cyber truck with an awful lot of technology. So there's a lot of ways that this, you know, manufacturing this pickup could go sideways. I think he's really sort of you know, gone out of his way to bring expectations down in terms of how quickly they'll be able to scale this up, when they'll be able to do so in a way that's not you know, burning through lots of cash, and so, you know, I think, you know, we may be surprised. There are some people who, you know, think that this thing is kind of hideous and and a bit of a monstrosity. There are some who think it's really really cool. I think, you know, there's probably going to be no trouble here with demand. For me, the question is how the heck are they going to scale this thing up and overcome the various manufacturing challenges that he's flagged going into this.
Speaker 5: Craig, we thank you. Bliombo's craigtured all On.
Speaker 4: Sam Altman is officially reinstated as CEO of open Ai, and it has a new initial board of directors, with Microsoft now joining as a non voting observer. All of this happening one year to the day after chat GPT was released and made it accessible to the public. Let's bring in Bloombo's Rachel Metz. Lots of news out overnight, and you had an interview with Sam Altman.
Speaker 10: He did, Yeah, there's a lot going on at OPENINGI A lot of it is rubber stamping in a sense of things that we had already learned that Sam Altman is now officially back at the company as a CEO, and and Greg Brackman, who had been president, is also back at the company. Miramrati, who was very very briefly interim CEO, is now back as a chief Technology officer, and a bunch of other things that you just recount.
Speaker 5: I'm a whole bunch of other things.
Speaker 3: I mean, notably, Microsoft comes on as a non voting observer. Still a lack of diversity at the interim board level as we can currently see, but I'm interested that they are saying is certainly Brett Taylor was writing alongside some Mountman in a post that look, prepare yourself. We are going to be diverse, and we're also going to look into why any of this upheaval happen to begin with.
Speaker 10: Yes, absolutely so on the first point, diversity and just enlarging the board. When I spoke to Sam yesterday, and also I got to speak briefly to Larry Summers, who's one of the new board members. They both said that they're planning to enlarge the board significantly. Wouldn't give a number on how many people will be in it eventually, but they're definitely planning to add people. Or as to the other point that you were making, now I'm blinking on what that was.
Speaker 5: Go back now.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's so what you have covered and the amount that you have covered over the last few days, no wonder you're going to be blanking. But really, Larry Summer's coming on board, many feeling is sort of like the experienced board director and himself thinking about the way in which this board can be expanded and thought upon. And he says, like, give us a minute. We've only been in the board of interim board for about half an hour. I think, what's the coak that he gave you. Rachel Metz, we thank you so much for your time and of course continued conversation that she manages to have with these key executives. Let's get another key angle from Sarahkrat's, Professor of Government and director of Tech Policy Institute over at Cornell University. And Sarah, you yourself were you were back in the day before open AI became a for profit business. You were helping alongside early open ai employees co author research documents, thinking about ultimately how generative AI can work in hand and be good for humanity. How has the era of chatchpt fast forward in what you thought was achievable in artificial intelligence?
Speaker 11: Right? No, So, I started working with OpenAI back in twenty eighteen when it was still the nonprofit, and then in twenty nineteen it became the for profit. I've but I think as the company it's really almost only a year old because it was so formative in that time. Between twenty fifteen and twenty twenty two, most people hadn't heard of it. We were writing and researching, and then in twenty twenty two, chat gpt became this consumer facing platform that was so easy to use, so user friendly, and it just took off the fast setting records for its uptake one hundred million users within the first two months and now one hundred million users per week, which is really astonishing.
Speaker 4: It's incredible to track how far we've come in the space of the year. But much of the last two events put the spotlight on what's to come next, the next generation of large language model on the board issue this is what Brett Taylor, whose interim chair of Open Aiyes Board, said, we will build a qualified, diverse board of exceptional individuals reflecting open ais message from technology to policy. That last bit, technology to policy. Why is the makeup of Open Aiyes Board important to their success in developing the technology?
Speaker 11: Yeah. I think what we saw in those two weeks, in these last two weeks was just that kind of tug of war on was between the two visions of what AI should look like. And there have been a lot of discussions about how much of that was just kind of a myth and outsiders reading things that weren't there. But it does seem like there are these two real philosophies about how quickly to move, and that the philosophy about moving quickly seems to have one out. And I think what the board should do, or its intended role, is to be kind of a rudder in shoppy water or what could be choppy waters. But I think where the nonprofit board, the former board got in the way was that its vision was so at odds or seemed to be at odds with not just the direction Open AI is going, but AI in general. And so I think right now We're in a real arms race, and the I think legitimate perspective of the Open AI people who have stayed is that this technology is developing quickly, whether we're on board or not, and so we might as well be. We Open AI be leading and trying to do it responsibly. So you know, the nonprofit or what was the not what is the nonprofit board, but the former board I think it wasn't that they didn't want to develop AI, but I think they just had different ways of doing it. So the new board will come in and try to i think, be more compatively aligned with that, with the direction that the company and with the direction the AI is going.
Speaker 3: And of course much of the hand wringing around AI and safety has been a worry about bias. That is why many people are saying, you need to have minor at the table. You need to ensure that all voices are heard. Here we re established at the interim board as it stands, looks pretty undiverse, one of them being Larry Summers the course, a paid contributor of Bloomberg. I'm interested as to what you think, Sarah will be the next situation. Will open AI be able to be as agile going forward. Do you think after this, No, I think there.
Speaker 11: Has to be a real goal and I think for them and in general, the diversity is not an end in itself, but it does give you different perspectives. Some of the early versions of AI really did, I think, warrant some criticism about bias and discrimination. So I think there is a lot of attentiveness to that. So it's important for that board to be able to read team different ideas and present different perspectives without being misaligned. I know alignment is a big term in the AI world, but just kind of contributing to a different set of perspectives that can kind of be a force for good while not holding back the technology.
Speaker 4: Sarah As, Professor of Government and Director of the Technolicy Institute at Cornell University.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: This is Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 3: It's time to turn to the intersection of artificial intelligence and healthcare. Phillips is exploring the technologies potential in when of course, when it comes to wearables, imaging, hospital task automation.
Speaker 5: We're pleased to welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Roy Yakovs is Phillips CEO, marking one year at the helm of the company, a company that is now fully focused on the medical use and healthcare applications, and AI is a key driver in that. Just tell us how already you're working with well the departments in some ways of those that are looking at tracking using an or ring or whether it be a garment watch, how are you already working with governments and indeed consumers.
Speaker 2: So we are in un monitoring business.
Speaker 9: We have a wrong collaboration where we can actually include all the data from any Apple devices or rings devices that you're using in the house or in the home to insert that into a patient context to understand how that actually makes a better diagnosis or full patient picture. Were also remotely monitoring in the home, for example, for cardiac rhythm problems to early pick up signals that can actually then prevent deterioration later. So bringing here to the home is a big part of what we're doing, making sure that actually we start the journey as early as possible so that actually you can prevent deerioration. But then also in the hospital we see that actually AI is picking up very quickly. Just coming out of Chicago where we had a very big show around how we can improve imaging because there's a huge demand for more images. But actually the hospital sector is really challenged to have enough radiologist or technicians to do all the cats.
Speaker 2: So that's where AI can come.
Speaker 9: To the rescue to really make a productivity difference.
Speaker 3: I think of how I use my connected wearables, and some of that's to track my sleep. Now I want to shift gears a little bit because there has been a safety issue involving your dream Station two. This is about sleep apnea and the machine there. The FDA having a certain reports of overheating, worrying about fire smoke burns. There's also been other concerns around just sleep at near products. How are you tackling that as the CEO right now?
Speaker 9: Yeah, when I came into the office, I said, first priority is patient safety quality, so I put a world class team on it to work through the challenges. We also said we need to get very proactive and identifying what is out here so that actually we can.
Speaker 2: Address it and put the quality on up.
Speaker 9: So it's about how we identify and then make sure that we across the company provide the best quality care and make sure that in the daily practices when we work with customers and in the context that they have, we can make sure that actually they can rely on our products, so that's something we have doing in our strategy. You also have seen that from the recent quarters we have been seeing quite an uptake in the performance of the company because we have.
Speaker 2: Been able to start growing again. Now we have four quarters of growth. We have up the guidance twice.
Speaker 9: But also that what's under the premise that basic safety and quality, supply chain improvements and simplification of the organization are really important to drive better impact for care.
Speaker 4: Mister Jacob's good morning from San Francisco. That issue, the most recent was on the thermal issue of your current generation, but it's kind of brought back the discussion about the recall of two years ago over the polyphone deterioration.
Speaker 2: There's a large body.
Speaker 4: Of academic work that shows a latency in the cancers that arise from exposure to deteriorating polyphone periods of twenty to forty years down the road. Is Phillip's conscious of that latency.
Speaker 9: So we have done extensive testing towards the health risk of degradation of the p perform. We've also come forward with our testing which actually shown that there's no peaceable harm from the usage of our devices. So that's something that we have done over three period with very strong evidence created together with the best scientific bodies, external bodies and toxicologists to make sure that actually we have no patients patient safety home for our users. Also from there, we have been working with the whole group of healthcare providers that we currently are addressing to make sure that patient safety and quality is the first priority. That actually also transmits into how you can use AI to improve the daily practice of AI, because if you look at what AI can do, actually can help you read and interpret images in a more accurate fashion. Can also make sure that the radiologists that are reading from home nowadays seventy percent is reading from home, can get access to the images and then make sure that they have the propriate interpretation support with AI before and after their week miss.
Speaker 4: The actives set aside one point one billion for remediation and half a billion for law suits. Is that sufficient or we have to add to that.
Speaker 9: So we have been dealing with it. We call we made great progress. We actually have now we mediated the sleep patients and actually we are getting back into providing sleep products outside of the US to our patients. So we have provided for that that actually is also been sufficient to date. We took economic loss provision early this year that actually also will be evactuated next year. And then if you look to how we are getting the rest of Phillips to where it needs to be. We have been making significant progress with the profitability that went up. We have guided or increased our guidance now twice for this year. We're heading towards six or seven percent growth rate this year, both from health as well as from the consumer health side. So we actually getting the company back in to a growth and contributing level. And we do that on the back of our innovations that have real meaningful impact in the healthcare challenges of today where they have a massive productivity gap that they need to address, where our technology ANAI comes to the rescue.
Speaker 3: Roy Jakobs, Solips CEO. Should we have more time? This is Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to Bloomberg Technology. Ed Ludlow here in San Francisco, cal and hired in New York.
Speaker 3: Let's get a check on these markets, because halfway through this training day, look.
Speaker 5: A little bit of profit taking.
Speaker 3: Maybe after we come off a stellar month and as back had its best month since January, we're up about ten percent. We pull back a little bit, but not quite a percentage point, and then as that one hundred off by nine ten seven percent, we're seeing the bond market seeing significant action on the day at seven basis points.
Speaker 5: But remember how far how fast.
Speaker 3: We've come, basically the best month for the bond market since the nineteen eighties. And therefore you're seeing this sort of everything rally, risk assets pushing higher as everyone anticipates a federal's that just cools down on its rate hiking path, indeed starts cutting as soon as May. We're looking at what's happening in the risk asset of choice in the technology market, which is bitcoin. It's currently off by just about a tenth of a percent as the dollar just kicks up a little bit. Remember it's been a story of dollar weakness on the month of November two. Move on, look at some of the individual names that we're looking at on the day, and look at shine a light on some of the key movers like PDD what now eight year old startup from China now worth more from a market cap position versus Ali Baba more than one hundred and eighty eight billion dollars. IT eclipses IT were up three percent on the trading day. I'm looking at what's happening also in terms of some numbers. Synopsis have actually been doing well before the market opened. They then pull back, even though they're managing to postgit gains. Remember, this is all about electronic automatic this is about design, automation, design, and particularly around the world of chips, they might be selling off some parts of the business. So we're looking at a currently a pullback of about three percent for that particular business. And lastly, I'm looking what's happening with in video, because we're all thinking about artificial intelligence and chips and more generally, and it seems as though actually a lot of these chip related names in the world of artificial intelligence said I'm just offer a little bit in video pulling back by some three percent as well.
Speaker 4: Over g those are the public market moves. There are big moves in private markets. Big Series A together AI research driven AI company working for more open source models and data sets, just raised one hundred and two point five million dollars in a Series A round led by Klina Perkins. Other investors who've participated in the round, including Nvidia, Luxe Capital, Greycroft, and a few others you can see there on your screen. Clina Perkins partner Bucky Moore and Vple Bedpra Cash, CEO and co founder together Ai, both here with us in San Francisco. You want to offer a place where you can take a custom model, an open source model and build it affordably. I think Bedrock aws because of this week and what's been in the newsflow.
Speaker 2: What are you trying to build?
Speaker 1: First? Thank you so much for having us here together. We believe open source is a big part of the ICs future. So what we've built is a very optimized out platform for buildings some data AI applications on open and custom models. You know, we provide APIs where if we have hundreds of models to feed packaged the user's going to use, and we provide for best in class tools to allow companies to build their models from scratch or take an open model and bap them with find doing for their purposes.
Speaker 4: Bucky, it's a big check, a few checks for a series A. You know this space better than many you're taking on the hyper scalas and you're trying to offer something at a better price than they are. But you're confident that this gather AI can do that.
Speaker 12: So you've been covering this space for a reason. This is a fundamentally new form of computing that is going to be as disruptive as internet and mobile and with respect it together like an OS basically absolutely and with respect it together. What we're seeing as enterprises are now leaning in and wanting to build on these open source and custom models, and to do that, they're going to need a platform upon which these models can run, and we think Together's that platform.
Speaker 3: I'm interested from your perspective, what we like to categorize perhaps in the media is this tension between open source and closed models. And I mean, the open source movement is as old as software itself Forbell, but I am interested in the perhaps car crash of a story that we had a couple of weeks ago around open AI. Suddenly corporates are thinking about business continuity, about ensuring that perhaps they're not dependent on one particular LL and provider. Has that changed in the conversations you're having.
Speaker 1: With corporates, I would say it certainly illustrates the need for a choice. You know, companies that are building the strategies around and radio AI want control of their models. They want to own the output of their efforts, and open source is.
Speaker 2: It's a great way of doing that.
Speaker 3: Okay, from your perspective, can be more resource intentive though, to sort of manage your open source code in some way. And I'm interested in how companies are really going to end up aligning when it comes to their own proprietary data and building on these open source models.
Speaker 12: So, first of all, open source AI is really history repeating itself. Business has been leveraging open source in the form of databases and other core underpaintings of how they develop their software for decades. So again, this is history repeating itself. And in that sense, yes, there is some operational burden that a company has to take on to leverage open source relative to a managed service, but this is precisely where Together's technology comes in. They want to make that piece easy and take it off the hands of enterprises so they can realize all those benefits without the operational burden.
Speaker 4: Vivo, You've got Nvideo as an investor, fantastic, but have you got them as a technology partners? You have a big old bag of h one hundreds that you can sling over the shoulder.
Speaker 2: And call it a day.
Speaker 1: Everyone wants that, right, you know, the other technology partner and Ridia is really a leading company the space. I would say they have the platform today for AI everywhere.
Speaker 2: Well, what are there er options to you?
Speaker 4: I mean, I guess considering what you're trying to build right the whole business offering from you, were there any alternatives other than Nvidia to get the compute needed to build a platform like that?
Speaker 2: To day?
Speaker 1: We get a lot about price performance. So the services we provide for our infant service are six times cheaper than Opening Eyes, our training services are four times cheaper than AWS, and we're able to do.
Speaker 4: More times cheaper than AWS. Can you absolutely guarantee.
Speaker 1: That, absolutely guarantee that yes. And this is both a combination of our hardware stack as well as the software that we have both on it make training and infence more.
Speaker 5: Efficient, Buckie.
Speaker 3: There has been much said about the hype dare we call it?
Speaker 5: Around artificial intelligence? What draws you to a team like People's. Is it talent?
Speaker 3: Is it what they've already been putting out there in terms of innovation? Isn't how they look there to be using a very large check that you've all managed to put together.
Speaker 12: So Caroline, when we've thought through what it takes to emerge as the leading provider of platform infrastructure for all of these businesses who we believe will be leaning in on open source and custom models, we really think it requires this unique combination of systems engineering and research talent, and both of those have to come together in a world class way to really build that market leading product. And together is the first company we've seen that really brings that to the marketplace in that manner, and that's why we're so proud to be their partner.
Speaker 3: Fiple the money, what will be allocated towards talent? How expensive is talent at the moment and is it all being brought together to bear where you sit now over on the West coast or are you're looking more geographically?
Speaker 11: You know?
Speaker 1: The capital one we are going to do deep investments and product.
Speaker 2: You know what as.
Speaker 1: Keeper is saying, we have a very deep research effort. We have a research company. We invest a lot, you know, corea research to build better models, build better model architectures, build better data sets, and a little better platform. So that will be a known investment. And yes, I think the talent.
Speaker 2: Market is you know, very tight today. But we have some of.
Speaker 1: The sort of leading researchers in the space are our co founders and part of the company and that really helps bring together the research community and have them attached to the company.
Speaker 4: But you always find interesting is the rationale of making investment based on what's put in front of you right with the greatest respects together. AI is not a massive company. How much weight do you put on the individuals they have? From a talent perspective, everyone's got GPUs. There are very few data scientists or engineers that can actually make them work from what I understand.
Speaker 12: So look at this stage, startups are all about the people behind them, and this is a world class team. As I said, that brings together this unique combination of systems engineering and research talent that we think is the most potent combination to go and build a market leading company in this space. And that's what we're excited about here.
Speaker 2: I just asked you both very quickly.
Speaker 4: It is one year to the date day since chatjept was released. For Paul, how has the last twelve months changed or accelerated what you've tried to do in AI?
Speaker 1: I think it has act beautiful a moment that made it very clear with a power of foundation models and their applicability, and that's really sort of you know, created a huge market around and interest in large and rated models.
Speaker 5: Fascinating from both of you.
Speaker 3: Always bucking more with your seeing around corners when it comes to infrastructure in the future thereof particularly when it comes to the world of AI. We thank you Kleine Perkins partner there and vivill Read Pracash of course CEO and co found together AI with that one hundred point to five million Series A. Meanwhile, coming up, let's talk about the social media and well got to think about how it implicates child safety online. We're going to be talking about how tech CEOs have been called to Capitol Hill to testify on exploitation.
Speaker 4: At I'm taking a quick check on shares of Meta down more than two percent. The whole market kind of took a weird turn at some point in the session. But the company plans to appeal a district court decision rejecting its attempt to block the FTC from modifying a twenty twenty settlement with the agency that required the company to update its privacy practices. Something that's playing out in court and drawing no cause or link, but it is interesting to see meta under pressure. This has been Bow Technology.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 4: Time for talking at tech. First up, move over Ali Barber. It's lost its spot as China's most valuable e commerce company to Pinned wod Woe, best known for its opping apps Timu and pinned Woad wide. The eight year old PDD has gained more traction with investors, while growth for Jack Mars Ali Baba has softened. A big story of the week and if you're a fan of NASCAR, you'll now be able to stream the racing sport online. NASCAR sign deals with Amazon and Warner Brothers Discovery to show its races on their respective Prime Video and Max streaming platforms. The deal reportedly valued at seven point eight billion dollars plus. Morgan Stanley CEO James Gorman will now have a seat on Walt Disney's board of directors. Gorman's appointment will take effect on February fifth, twenty twenty four. The move comes ahead of an expected proxy fight and amid reports of interests in a board seat from billionaire Nelson Pelts. Veteran media executive Jeremy Dearrek will also be appointed to Disney's board effective January nine.
Speaker 2: A former Sky CEO, carro.
Speaker 3: Let's take a turn and talk about some of the other executives across the technology at large right now, but in particularly the CEO is a matter of ex a TikTok, a snap of disc They've all just been summoned dead by the Senate Judiciary Committee to testify at a hearing on child sexual exploitation that's now been given the date of January. This comes just a few weeks after Meta, of course, was sued by California group of more than thirty states have a claims that its social media platforms exploit youths for profit and feed them harmful content. It's a sensitive discussion and we're going to have it with Camille Carton, Center of Humane Technology Senior policy manager, And all of this comes at a time no matter where you're seeing the lawsuits coming from, whether they're families, whether they're coming from of course ultimately ages, whether they're coming from a federal level, all of them are they likely to disrupt the business models of these companies enough that we do see greater protection in whatever guys you might want to see it happen whether it's internally if you're working at the company, or externally using their products.
Speaker 13: I think what we're seeing right now is that we are absolutely at an inflection point, which is what you just described. Whether it's research that has been done by whistleblowers, researchers themselves, whether it's the lawsuits from ags, from parents, school districts, we are just seeing overwhelming kind of support for these platforms to take on much more responsibility, for them to be accountable to their actions, and for them to change the way that they design their products. Right now, these products are designed to capitalize on children's vulnerabilities, the things that make their development different than older users, and we know this from these disclosures, and so that's exactly what people are looking for when they're going through with these lawsuits and with these testimonies.
Speaker 3: When we think of the testimonies, we think, if Judge von Rogers has allowed them to proceed in some way, many would say, actually, the decisions that they've made means that.
Speaker 5: Much business model disruption won't happen.
Speaker 3: The fact that the endless scrolling isn't going to be something that's focused on but it will be more about protection and ultimately oversight from parents.
Speaker 5: Is that going to be enough? And how do you think if you think about.
Speaker 3: The other side, what Meta and other companies would say is what we're building isn't wrong.
Speaker 5: It's the way in which you mounted to use is it that is wrong?
Speaker 3: How can we get a better balance between the two.
Speaker 13: So I think the most important thing is to look at the incentives. Right These companies right now are incentivized to design their products with profits first. But we have tons of legislative solutions out there. We have COSA at the federal level that has over fifty bipartisan co sponsors. We have the Age Appropriate Design Code that's been in place in the UK was introducing California you mentioned Judge von Rogers. These solutions look at actually changing the way these platforms are designed. They look at how can we change these platforms so that kids' best interests are put forth first. They focus on privacy, they focus on changing features that are addictive, and they also provide a duty of care, basically requiring platforms to prioritize the best interests of kids over profits. And I think that's the best way forward here.
Speaker 2: Camille.
Speaker 4: Your position, and it's shared by others, is that social media platforms are deliberately designed as pieces of technology to be addictive to children and teenagers.
Speaker 2: Have I got that right?
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 4: TikTok is an example, set out a policy in March. That policy was that you have to be age thirteen or a different age at least depending on local law restrictions to use the platform. Aside from legislation and the policies of companies like TikTok, what fixes would you recommend to safeguard teens and children? What technological solutions are there?
Speaker 13: Yeah, this is a great question, and TikTok has this policy as well as Facebook and many other platforms. But what we're learning from many of these disclosures related to the Attorney's general investigation is, for instance, Meta actually knows that they have millions of underage users. They have millions of users under the age of thirteen, which is in violation of that are a law that they are collecting data on. Not only do they know this, they are taking great lengths to make sure that the public doesn't know that they know this, and they're studying these users, they're capitalizing on these users. So these platforms already have a way of knowing who is and isn't on their platform, but they're choosing not to do anything about it, and they're choosing not to make sure that underage users are not accessing products that are not built for them.
Speaker 2: In January, on January.
Speaker 4: The thirty first, I believe a number of CEOs will go to Capitol Hill for a Senate hearing. When executives go before lawmakers. What is it that you hope comes out of public hearings like that? How does it move the agenda forward?
Speaker 13: I think that this is a really big opportunity for policymakers to push these executives on the fact that they know they have users that are on their platform that are not supposed to be the fact that we now have evidence that they are intentionally designing products in ways that are harmful to users. For instance, Artur Bihar, who was the most recent metawhistleblower, shared that one in eight young users under the age of sixteen experienced unwanted sexual advances, and despite Meta knowing this, instead of designing a reporting mechanism for users to be able to report this to Facebook, sorry to Instagram, for Instagram to be able to fix what was going on, they intentionally designed a reporting flow that was really hard for users. It took a lot of effort, it was really long, and they took out all human oversight. So young users are essentially not incentivized to report this anymore because the company doesn't do anything and the company is no longer being flagged about these issues that are happening. So I hope that these sessions we can actually get to the bottom of the fact that these companies know that some of the product designs are harmful and that we need to end this practice.
Speaker 3: Camilla, I'm sure we will go forth to these companies' leadership and say as to how they have been responding, because I'm sure they'd like to say a response to us to all whether or not indeed they have been trying to make it more or less difficult for these sorts of things to be reported. But Camille Carston, we thank you so much for your insights the Center of Humane Technology, of course, and we'd.
Speaker 5: Potentially like to be getting back ahead of that. January the thirty first up on Capitol.
Speaker 4: Hill, Robin Hood's making its international debut, launching commission free stock trading in the UK. The firm has started rolling out trading of more than six thousand US listed stocks and other securities to British retail investors. CEO of vlad Tenev spoke to Bloomberg's Tom McKenzie.
Speaker 14: So we have products for customers that who have low risk appetite for financial risk as well, and I think we can serve their needs. But I think there's two things we do exceptionally well in the US that carry over in the UK despite any cultural differences. People in the UK love easy to use, compelling mobile interfaces and they love getting the best possible economics on investing in other financial services. And I think these two things have been the cornerstones of Robinhood product design and development. We have really a beautiful our customers love the beautiful, almost magical quality of the Robinhood experience, and they appreciate the fact that they're getting industry leading economics. And when we talk to customers in the UK, there's a lot of enthusiasm over bringing these things to this market.
Speaker 15: As crypto bottom do you think and is it what's still being in the crypto space given what's happened with the likes of Finance and an FTX, or is that an opportunity for robin Hood to take market share.
Speaker 14: I think in the long run, it's certainly an opportunity and it's good for the industry to have unscrupulous actors weeded out and kind of falling off, because I think in order for the industry and the technology to become truly globally accepted, there has to be a foundation of regulatory compliance and it has to be integrated more and more into the traditional financial system and help solve real problems for people. So Robinhood continues to build crypto technology and be a leader there. We've been pleased with the growing market share we've been seeing in the US even through the winter, and as you probably know, in the UK, we're not launching with crypto. We're very focused on US shares and the high interest product with no FX fees, but we are also expanding in the EU and we will have a crypto available in the EU in the coming weeks.
Speaker 5: How does it for this edition of Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 4: Yet Bloomberg Technology Podcast. Check it out wherever you get your podcasts. From New York City and SF. This is Bloomberg Technology