Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Hey, Joel is here. Good to see Joel. Always great to see Joel, And of course Danny g on the phones at eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox Super producing spot putting up videos at Covino and Rich if you want to play along at home, if you're keeping score at home, I said, I'm sorry, who keeps score at home anymore? Old people? Old people? And Michael Kay because he says it all the time for those of you keeping score at home. And we're live in Mercedes Benz Studios. This hour brought to you by tire rack dot com, the official tire expert and retailer of the Dan Patrick Show. Go to tire rack dot com slash Dan and try the tire decision. Guys, see the full line of Goodyear tires special offers, free road hazard protection and mobile tire installation tire rack dot com. Wait, tire buying should be good Years to get to. No, it was the worst. Oh that's a Leslie Nielsen quote naked gun style. You know, I got to ask you if I'm I'm doing something that's a little too extra, or if you think this is the right move and then we're going to get to an anniversary of a classic movie. We'll get to that in a little bit. Talk to some NFL, but we're talking about kids sports. You said you went to Dick Sporting Goods the other day. When was the last time he went to a sporting goods store? I went yesterday. If you have little kids, it might be a minute, because you find yourself the same way you find goldfish and Ritz crackers and all the stuff in your house that you didn't have for twenty years. Well, it's not even that too, I mean our lifestyle change, meaning I'll just get it on Amazon. Why do I gotta go in?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Honestly, I bought a new pair of turf shoes for softball, ordered them online. Right. I didn't go to the sporting goods so, I mean, we just happened to be walking by because again, Famili's in town, and my sister wanted to go in there. So I was like, yeah, let's go that like childlike excitement. Remember when you were kidding, you beg your parents and they wouldn't take you. So I'm like, yeah, let's go in. Let's check it out. Next weekend, my daughter has the parade, all the kids, you know, carry a little banner around of whoever sponsors them. It's a proud moment. And with the girls little softball league, Yeah, they all dress up. That's something new. What do you mean they dress up themed based on their team name. Ah? Really okay, they're not wearing a uniform. No, they are, but like but enhanced. Where the Sparkle Pixies. Oh, pink Sparkle Pixie. So here's my question for you. Did you name that team? I did? Thought so so. Bunch of six year old little girls. They're excited. You know, you try to get kids involved, whether it's little boys little girls of your coaching, the whole goals to try to get them enthusiastic about sports, right, so you lean into the fund great confidence builder for sure. And I went to this little league meeting, and I think we've all been there where you're like, man, these parents are not only a some of them are pain in the ass, but some of them just go overboard and they're like, yeah, we're gonna do this, and we're gonna ask for an extra money for each kid to do this, and then the snack shack and this, and you're like, what is going on. Can't they just play just way too involved? They got so much time, Like I'm like, how do you have so much too much time on hands? It's too much, so much time on their hands. And a couple of the moms that are coaching and helping out with these young girls. I was like one of the only dad coaches, and I heard a couple of moms say things like, yeah, well we go a little extra in this league, or we go like you can't, like you can't go to extra. I mean, keep in mind it's also la but maybe that's how it is everywhere. I don't know, Like I'm picturing all these little girls coming in with like sparkle bats and like they're they're going a bit overboard. So I had an idea. I go, hey, you don't want to have a sparkle like Pine Tar incident. You know, you don't want to have a George Brett thing. You don't want to have a little Briella. Yeah, her home run didn't count too much, sparkle up the handle of the bat too much. You don't want to have a George bretton.
Speaker 4: Here is this rich in full uniform as the coach on the side he's.
Speaker 2: The manager as Tony Lush. Yeah he wears though I pink, not I black. I'm the He might be a player manager for Awena, So I do I do because this is an extra league. All the girls have their nicknames on the back of the jersey. I love how Rich calls himself the manager and not a coach. Since the beginning of time, anyone that coached your little league team was the coach, coach, butter Maker, coach Montini for me, coach whatever. Rich is the man. How do you not see the difference, because there I don't know. I don't want to be. You know what a coach does. A coach shows up and helps the kids. You know what a manager does. I have to carry the equipment and he hits wrestlers with a steel chair. Yes, I'm mister Fucci. He has a megaphone. Yeah, I'm Paul Hayman. You'll get me. I'm just saying I'm the manager that each team. What do the Yankees have a coach or manager? It's six year old softball, dude. I never You're the only guy I've ever heard say I'm the manager of a little kid team. When was the last time you my friends participated in the coaching round the little kids. I don't know. You don't think I have nephews and nieces that play sports, Like I promise you, the person running things they're calling them, just sure they call them the coach. You're the only guy I've ever heard say this for a six year old softball? Do the players call you rich? Coach? Rich? The manager? But every team has a manager. Dude, Joe, do you think I want to be the manager? You think I want to field emails from every parent? You think I want to be the one ordering little sparkle shirts roll the kid? Do you think I want to do that? No? Anyway, But here's where I do want to go extra. And I want to know if you guys think this is a bit much for all the same This is the question coach, for all the parents, for all the parents that coach their kids. Knowing that all these other California I rolling moms are going to go above and beyond with all the stuff for the kids, I was like, well, you know what form my team? I said, Hey, is there any rules against walk up music? And they're like no, But I don't think anyone's done it for the little girls. Like, oh, well, well, well hold on now, I think I got the Fox Sports radio voice to do player intros for the girls, and I asked all the girls, Hey, tell Coach Rich your favorite Disney song. So I'm gonna have these girls come up to bat with the Fox Sports voice introducing them while their favorite Disney song plays. Is that extra or is that awesome? It's extra and awesome. I will say this as a guy who built his career in radio, It's an honor to get the voice guy and the production guy to create an ID for you. I'll never forget working at k Rock, New York. And I was just a van driver who was doing weekend shifts at a big station. And the first time a production guy made me El Covino on ninety two to three A rock put a tingle in my radio dingle. So for these little nose picking kids to get that honor, just to walk up to their little kids softball game, that's a big deal. The little kids won't know how cool it is, but the parents, the parents will take note. Three one not a Juliet elementary school. Yeah, batting number six, her nose, her name is Cindy. Let's give it up for Cindy Lou who on the Pink Sparkles. Obviously you don't know little girls names now they're all like old lady names again. Oh Charley, Hello to Edith. So Daisy Daisy's batting, Second's Aronda and all and all of a sudden, I hit Phyllis and you know what, there's a there's an app. Well, I'll tell you the name of the app on your team. Yeah, hold on, I gotta I gotta tell you that. I gotta tell you the name of this app because this is it's called I think it's the batter batter Up. There's an app. There's an app for everything, there's an app for everything, but the actual app that people use there is that there's one that apparently is the universally loved one where I think it's batter up where you could load the voice and ten seconds of a song, right, and it's just like a touchpad. Kids having walk up music next bat sort of commonplace. I see that at liter League games today. But the actual radio, professional production and voice is next level. To answer your question, I think it's extra and awesome, but are you showing up other parents? Is this gonna ruffle some feathers and ruffle some ridges, is the question. Yeah, that's the thing. Are the other coaches on the other teams gonna be like, all right, guy, what's with your Frozen and Moana walk ups? And the girls like am I? Is this a little nice little jet to the other coach, a little coin, a little extra to the production people. You think they got just time to be voicing off these it's the production guy. I mean, I know it's like for a good cause and for little kids, and it's a nice thing to do. But is this like a pro bono sort of situation. Yes, yeah, you're gonna throw them like uh, money gived. You know what if he doesn't want to.
Speaker 1: Do any do it.
Speaker 5: No, this be a good side hustle for our boy, Vito, who does the production for a network. If they're jealous, just give them one of Vito's business cards.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you so, Hey, just just an idea. I just want a production guy needs extra work. Why are you even putting that out there? Because it's true, But I get it's a nice thing, it's for a good cause. Little kids are awesome. But to answer your question, very extra, but very I think you're using your resources and he's wrong with the MP three machine. Let me tell you I bought I bought a portable speaker yesterday on Amazon. I'm all sad. I'm like, I'm going to bring a big speaker to the game. These kids my team has got. You know what all the other extra parents would be jealous of the spark Oh, we're didn't start at zero zero. We're this new season, new season for the Pink Sparkle Bandits.
Speaker 5: Riches out there with an instant replay, three point sixty on his lap playing sound effects.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just outside. So hey, if you're living that mom or dad coaching life, shout outs to you now today. I said this earlier. I think it's time to pay tribute to a to a movie, a classic that's twenty five years old to day. This movie came out February nineteenth, nineteen ninety nine. In that movie my Friend's Office Space, I'd say cult classic. But still I think Quotable definitely hit the mainstream. We've all seen it at this point, I would imagine. I mean, at this point it's twenty five years old and there was a side debate too. Is this the Ghetto boys biggest song? I'm saying no mind playing tricks on me because of the video. I have that on maximum single. I'm saying for the casual music fan, they know this song from the movie this. Yeah, it's a big soundtrack song for this movie, no doubt, no diggity. Now, when you think of Off the Space, everyone immediately thinks of Lumberg, right as like the worst boss. That's the boss no one wants. Oh, I mean everyone pictures, you know, Lumberg getting it down. You don't want your wife to end up with Lumberg. I looked it up. It's Lumberg Lumberg because that was like, is it Lumberg or lumber Lumberg Lumberg Lumberg, Lumberg Lumberg. So it was also Mike Brady, didn't He also played Mike Brady and The Brady Bunch. Mike Lumberg played Mike Brady. Yeah, in the Brady Bunch movie.
Speaker 6: We have sort of a problem here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, talk about it and IMDb Lumberg and Mike Brady. Let me look up that dude's name, Well, look up his name, give him some props. But it got me. It got me. He does look like a he has a Bergeron vibe to so I ask you this, if you want to share a story about a bad boss or better yet, this is Fox Sports Radio, but a bad manager, like you, what coach or manager do you feel like did the most damage to the team you're a fan of? Like is there a is there a team that you root for where one manager sticks out, like that guy set us back years he was the worst football, baseball, basketball? What coach or manager do you feel like, Wow, they did not Not only did they do nothing for my team, the fact that they hired this guy set the team in the wrong direction. You know, sometimes I think it's it's the team that sucked and not necessarily the manager, but because he managed the team, you associate him with sucking. Like I don't know as a kid growing up, if Stump Merrill was the worst manager ever but his name sucked and the team sucked, behigh So I'm like, well, he must have sucked. So it could be a misconceptsy like Dave conceptsion, it could be a misconception. By the way, Bill Lumberg was played by Gary Cole, who was Mike Brady and the Brady Bunch. Wow, it was Ron Livingstein and of course Mike Judge was behind the movie. Uh, Stephen Root played Milton my Stapler, my Dapler and Stephen Stephen who was also in Dodgeball. And I'll give you a fun fact. You want a fun fact, rich please? I believe Billy West was one of the co writers of this movie. He was involved, right, and he wrote the Milton character based on a dude that I worked with in radio. I worked with the guy that Milton was based on, and he was a weirdo just like that. I could I could listen to the radio to read the value Meg Stapler. So yeah, again twenty five years ago today, I does I think guy is synonymous with Stapler some anytimes someone asked for a Stapler. There's a reference to Milton from Office Spaces twenty five years old. Today again, if you're just joining us. February nineteenth, nineteen ninety nine, twenty five years ago, I forgot Jennifer Aniston was in that movie. Of course she was. She was who Lumberg was? I know, but like at the time, you didn't. I didn't realize it. Chokes was looking back now, I haven't seen it in a minute, but yeah, Bill Lumberg is the is the one of the main characters. He's the boss and nobody likes him. No one's working. They do what and approximate what fifteen minutes of work per dayah or something like that. So Michael Bolton, Yes, Michael Bolton that no talent asked clown. Lots of quotes based on that. Who comes to mind? I mean there's a few people to come to mind for me. Now, you're always going to go to your team. You're always going to reference the team you root for, Like I remember that guy, he's stunk. In fact, our team was headed in the right direction until that guy. And listen my forty nine ers fresh off of Super Bowl loss. I got no problems with Kyle Shanahan. But if you want to rewind ooh, I don't know seven years. I think eight years. Do you remember the Chip Kelly in San Francisco experiment? Yeah? One year with the Niners two and fourteen it was like, yeah, this later by out. You could say, what about what about Urban Meyer in Jacksonville didn't even last a year? Who comes to mind for you? Eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox? What about coach Klein in water Boy? When he lost his confidence? When when his playbook was stolen a lah. Henry Winkler, the fond as the coach in water Boy, just wasn't the same without his playbook. Look Like I said, there's a lot of times too when you want to think about leaders, coaches, managers, just guys you worked with too. There's also that fine line of were they the worst because they pushed you hard and pushed you to be better as a result. Well, because I've worked for people that I hated at the time, kind of like the movie twenty seven No, Devilwaar's Prada or Whiplash, Like JK. Simmons was the worst teacher, but did he push you for greatness? And that's why he hated him because it was tough at the time. I look back and I worked for tyrants rich, but you know they taught me work ethic that I used to my advantage in the future. So made two movie references Devilwaar's Prada and Whiplash. Yeah, the real life version of the grumpy guy that gets a lot out of you. The new documentary people are talking a lot about the Patriots, the Dynasty, and you're already seeing Danny g the footage coming out of that where they're making it seem like Bill Belichick was like not only was he not fun to play for, but like it was like miserable. Yeah, I mean, and maybe that's why he's not finding a landing spot right now. I mean, he's got the resume and the credentials, But what young dude wants to play for that type of guy right now? I don't know.
Speaker 5: The comments from Gronk. From Gronk make it seem like they felt like they were in prison.
Speaker 2: Well you saw the personalities of Tom Brady and Gronk, like when they played for the Bucks for that year, for those year or so, they were like different people. But again, what did he bring out in these guys greatness? He was very JK. Simmons life, you know, And that's that's part of it.
Speaker 4: And I this might be a little off the topic, but I thought that about Bill Belichick until I seen his honey. You can't pull a fine honey like he got and be the dude everybody's saying.
Speaker 2: He is, NA, you can separate that that's working personal. Maybe the field he's like, uh, maybe the honey like the money, ah, you know, you never know, so or maybe he holds it down. Maybe he yeah, maybe it's his trumpsp sneakers? What U what coach or manager set your team back in a way that you hated so much? So, since it is the anniversary of Office Space, who is your lumberg? Who is the guy that you're like, I hate this coach, I hate this manager. I brought up the one year ex experiment of Chip Kelly for the forty nine ers. I mean, there are times where your team gets rid of a guy you like and they bring in someone else and you're like, that's who they're going with, all right? Usually you know an interim guy. Sometimes you know is that guy? And I believe Jock Vaughan, coach of the Nets, was just fired. Yeahpeaking up to tie it in, was just let go today. So the lumberg that comes, I'm sorry, the lumberg that comes to mind for you in honor of this cult classic, like anyone's I don't think anyone's devastated about jocke I think it was time to move on anyway, all right, your phone calls your feedback. Next Covino and rich In for the great Dan Patrick here on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: It's Caveno and Rich live from Mercedes Benz Studios. The utterly inspired All Electric EQE Sadan from Mercedes Benz with hundreds of customizable comfort settings inside the cabin. It's the EV that recharges you. The vehicles, all Electric, the feelings, all Mercedes. Learn more at MBUSA dot com slash EQE. We Got Danny g We Got Joel Spotty. Is Caveno and Rich Day one of the Dan Patrick Patrick and Happy President's Day. Do you have a fun factor?
Speaker 1: Rich?
Speaker 4: I mean I have.
Speaker 2: If you want another, you said one every hour. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting. By the way, we're also getting to your phone calls at eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox and your feedback at Covino and Rich on social media talking about the worst coaches, worst bosses. In tribute to Lumberg from Office Space, which came out twenty five years ago today, Feel old yet nineteen ninety nine on this date, Office Space. Great movie, you said, could classic. It's a cult classic and it's now old enough to have a mustache. It could have been married and divorced by now for all we know, now twenty five years old. How you feeling today, by the way, not bad? Why would you say okay? I'd say I'm okay Martin van Buren. Oh, you know who went to Martin van Buren High School? Your dad, Burger Fries Rob Parker right here for Boppy from Fox Sports Radio. The Rob Parker. Rob park went to Martin van Buren High School in Queens. And it was Martin van Buren who came up with and popularized the phrase okay rock Okay is a Martin van Buren thing who came up with Oki doki Okay is an idiom that took the world by storm when it came out of the mouth of President Martin van Buren. Van Buren carried the nickname old Kinderhook okay and he would say, oh okay. Well, George Bush came up with fool me once. Shame on you, shame on you, fool me twice. Won't be fooled the game? Yeah, he did come up. That was a good one too.
Speaker 7: Hey.
Speaker 2: Speaking of presidential fun facts, oh, Bill Cone was the only one that had a cigar forget Canton, No no, No, you can't say that on Fox. But there's an unwritten study, unwritten rule or law or theory. I should say that, either subconsciously or consciously, not a day goes by that President Abe Lincoln doesn't cross your mind. Meaning maybe you see a stop sign, a school, a statue, a building, a five dollars bill, a penny on the ground. Something happens once a day you listen to Lincoln Park, you think of Abe Lincoln. You see some dude with a top hat, you see Danny G's beard like, you see something that reminds you of Abe Lincoln. You see someone hunting vampires. Yeah, no, but it's true, and think about it next time it crosses your mind and be like, ah, I've heard that before. Well in honor, we said twenty five years ago, the movie Office Space came out on this day, Lumberg might have been the worst boss. So he said, Hey, worst boss, worst coach. He was sort of apathetic. What coach set your team back? Where you're like, oh, I hated that coach. I forgot this one. I gotta be honest. Someone hit me up with this. Cowboys fans probably don't forget Dave Campo. Three years in the early two thousands where they went five and eleven, five and eleven and five eleven, the fact that Jerry Jones stuck with him for three years because he was a defensive coordinator on some of those big championship teams. But and I would say that's a fair assessment, too rich, because I mean some of the names that we threw out there. You think of the worst years of whatever team you root for, and you're gonna associate that coach with it. But sometimes in their defense, they had a weak team to deal with and really didn't get much opportunity and are sometimes three years that's that's a good chance to prove yourself. Or sometimes the personnel's there and the coach just stinks. And no offense to Romeo Crenell, but he went two and fourteen with the Chiefs with six Pro Bowlers and a pretty sweet roster. Andy Reid took over the next year eleven and five, and the rest is history. That's when the Chiefs started really coming into their own. So sometimes the coach just thinks, Josh McDaniels seems like he's done that for a couple teams.
Speaker 5: Now, oh man, there's been a couple of coaches. Besides Josh McDaniel's being pretty obvious. Think back to twenty twelve through twenty fourteen. Dennis Allen.
Speaker 8: Oh, I was gonna, I was gonna say Art Shell two point zero. I mean, at least Artchell had always love him. Halt, Yeah, I love him all right. He's a Hall of Famer. Dennis Allen eight and twenty eight in a very punishable face.
Speaker 2: Now I'll throw one out there too, to not steal anyone's thunder. I see a lot of people are on hold, so I'm not going to steal your as like if you a random one. Dave Shula like fatherlike son, not exactly. Non Shula as the most wins in NFL history, finishing his career with a record of three twenty eight, one, fifty six and six. His son Dave spent all hi on four and a half seasons. Hi, I'm Dave with the Bengals, compiling a record of nineteen and fifty two. So he goes down, especially being that his dad was one of the greats. Yeah, you know, it's hard to be Dave. It's like being h It's like being Fred Claus when your brother Santa. It's like being Ozzie Consider, it's like being Frank Stallone. Let's say, what's up to Eric in Connecticut? What's up man? What coach comes to mind? What coach or manager set your team back? What do you got?
Speaker 7: You already sold my thunder. I was gonna say Josh McDaniels with the Broncos, because man, my team's still struggling fifteen years later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like he I think it's over for him, not as a coordinator. Some you know, he'll he'll. I think he'll be around the league. But I think the days of someone saying he's the guy that's gonna lead our team. Sometimes as good coordinators that like Steve Spagnola as a head coach had some rough moments, but you could argue he's a Hall of Fame coordinator. So sometimes you just gotta know your your way, you fit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, guys like Norv Turner was a great, great coordinator, exactly really bad head coach.
Speaker 2: You could say. You could say that about a lot of coordinators where it's like, yo, you're you're best at just doing this, and you know what's It's another topic maybe for another day, but now that the forty nine ers are looking for a new defensive coordinator. Two names that are floating around are Pete Carroll and Bill bellich check, which sounds ridiculous, but Kevino's like, why would you ever be a Hall of Fame level coach and then be a coordinator? But maybe at a certain time of your career, like you know what, I want the challenge. I don't know. I mean, yeah, it seems like a big step back, but it seems like a step back. But maybe that's where they are in their career and they're willing to put their ego aside and be honest about it, then yeah, that could work. Mike. In Montana, you're all with convene on Rich and for the great Dan Patrick. What's up, Mike? What's up? Mike?
Speaker 3: You know we'rest coach. We're going back to high school ninety five Burlingame High School varsity baseball coach Terry Whitfield garbage.
Speaker 2: Is this your personal experience? Yes, sir, I'm sure Terry is proud of the shout out you've given him. What what made it so bad? He benched, Mike. Mike got pulled in the second inning. Yeah, sorry, Mike, sit to hear about that. John and Florida. What's up, John, you're all with Covine on Rich?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm gonna say Nick Saban the one year he did with the Miami doll and when he asked for total control, picked Culpepper over Breeze, and then quite a year into it and we didn't even have a GM or a president of operations to hires replacement and we were all downhill after that.
Speaker 2: You know, because of his collegiate success, a lot of times that sort of swept aside, but he really did set your team back. Like that was again a very urban Meyer Jacksonville jackstyle, where it's like this is not working, like when a team pulls the plug before season one is done. I mean, look at Frank Reich in Carolina. You had Bryce Young, you had a fresh young team, and what did they win one game before they let him go? Hey, Rich, how do you think the Weieniels of today would view the coaches we had growing up with cigars and blowing cigarette, smoking your face and wearing like beer T shirts. And you know, the coaches we had, I mean I thought they were great coaches, but how would they view that type of coach in today's world? I'd like to think we're not that old. But if you played sports in the nineties, like my little league, coaches were smoking pipes and cigarettes and cursing and everything like one hundred percent. And when I had just a kid's stance, now I have to be the depth to hey, parents, could I touch their arms? You know, it was at a very different time. It was a bunch of old guys who didn't even have kids in the league anymore. They just want to get away from their wife. They just wanted to get out of the house. So I wonder how you view that in today's world. I just looked this up Rich because it's funny. I always assumed Buddy Bell he was a coach for a long time. You know, the Bells have a long history in baseball. But Buddy failed pretty bad for three different organizations. I was not aware of that. The Tigers one hundred and eighty four two seventy seven. The Colorado Rockies won sixty one and one eighty five, the Royals from two thousand and five to two thousand and seven one hundred and seventy four wins two hundred sixty two losses. Again, not a lot of talent on those teams. But he had a winning percentage of under five hundred, like barely four hundred. So Buddy Bell failed three times with three different teams. Now the hat trick of losing. He brought up the Tigers. Yeah, and I I think I'm correct in saying they tried to go to the well with Alan Trammel, And I get why teams do it, right, they take a former familiarity, they take the former all star face of the team. Years later, like every time the Mets have an open position, what do you always hear based out of our New York friends, Oh this you're going with a Wally Backman or you know, bring in Beltroun or oh David right, you always want to go to the well of who is the star player he could coach? Now rest in peace. Before Gary Carter passed Dowa, I remember back in the day, they're like they should have Gary Carter. That's a sentiment. It's a good uh press release.
Speaker 5: I had a lift driver call up. He couldn't stay on hold, but he said to mention. Magic Johnson is very short tenure coaching the Lakers. He was five and eleven. Remember he resigned because the Lakers finished the season on a ten game losing streak. So he's known obviously for failing at that in his late night TV talk show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not everybody could do that. And by the way, his late night TV talk show, a lot of that credit unfortunately goes to Howard Stern when he made a total mockery of it and they sang wipeout and they were, you know, ripping ass.
Speaker 5: Now, later Mike Magic said the reason he hated coaching was because he couldn't get the players to practice and have excellence of the game the way he did, so he was just really frustrated.
Speaker 2: How about this stint rich on your team, Mike Singletary. I didn't mind Singletary, the Singletary years eighteen and twenty two. Can't play with him. But again, yeah, I didn't hate him. I didn't hate him because the Niners have had like Mike, Tom Sullo, Jim Kelly. He was fired though, and it was sort of a bizarre little stint. That is true team, but there have been worse And uh, what did you just bring up before that? I'm brain Dad at Magic John's Magic Johnson. I know it's based on U reality, but that DOCU series we loved about the Lakers winning time on HBO that got canceled unfortunately. Paul westthead. I mean, he won with the Lakers, but after that he really didn't have much success. That you wonder like, well, the leaders could body seem to be in question? Could anyone have d energy? Could any of anyone have led that Lakers squad to glory? Because they were just stacked back then late.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't say anyone because there were so many big personalities on the team. You had to be a leader of men. You had to be able to get all of those egos in check and be able to work together.
Speaker 2: You know. It's always an interesting one. And again there a lot of them are legends. But have you noticed that in sports very rarely we brought this up recently, very rarely when a legendary coach or manager goes to another team. Bruce Bochi defied the odds by winning with the Rangers. That's how the conversation came up. Remember during baseball season, we're saying, very rarely do coaches or managers go to another team later in their career and duplicate the success, like Jimmy Johnson with the Dolphins. Anywhere Parcels went anywhere. Remember Joe Gibbs two point oh arcell two point zero, Like anytime you go to the well a second time, it doesn't usually translate like can Like if Belichick were to get a head coaching job next year, I think you'd be crazy to think it means automatic success. Joe Tory with the Dodgers. Joe Toy with the Dodgers came off of looking like he couldn't not win one hundred games as a manager, and then you know that was short lived in Los Angeles. So it could be bosses, because we're doing this in tribute to Bill Lundberg, your von Burg, your favorite boss, my favorite worst boss ever from Office Space TPS reports could have been a boss well Tony Lusso and his last thing with the White Sox for sure, Yeah that didn't vibe. Yeah, but he but he is a guy that won in multiple places, right, but he overstayed his welcome. Maybe he was one hundred and seventy six years old coaching young guys, so you know, maybe it was in your life. Maybe it's a coach. We'll take your phone calls to wrap it up. Dave and Boise. What's up, Dave?
Speaker 3: Hi, I'm Dave.
Speaker 9: Big Fangio with the Dolphins, absolute vibe killer. Would not players would not play for him.
Speaker 2: You get that vibe. Sometimes you're like, yeah, this is they got to pull the plug. And sometimes the team doesn't pull the plug right away, and you're like, now we're just killing time. Now we're just killing time. Robert and said to about vibe killing. You know, there's vibe creators and vibe enhancers. And you see that with Danny G's Raiders right now with Antonio Pearce. That dude's a vibe creator. Vibe setter. Doesn't mean no win, but he's a vibe creator. Need that as a leader too. You need to change that culture. If it's it starts from the top. If that guy is weak, yeah, it's not gonna be. It's not a good outlook for your team. What's up, Robert, Yeah, what's up? Buddy?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 3: Billy Martin.
Speaker 7: Blue out the five best arms in the eighties worst ever.
Speaker 2: You know, what's a weird thing to look back on. I was a little kid in the eighties, more of nineties kid, but you know, as a kid growing up on the East Coast, I grew up in New York. The whole Billy Martin lup Panela thing. Looking back, it felt so weird to me, just as a kid like, wait, does Steinbrenner just keep switching them when he's in a bad mood? And looking back, it seems like that was the case. I don't think you've ever seen anything like that in any other sport, right where it felt like every year or so it was like and then he just dissed Yogi Bearra and that's why he didn't come back for all those years. Yeah, that was a weird ego thing though, Billie Martin for sure. Yeah, h Wilson. We'll take the rest of your feedback at Covino on rich In for the Great Dan Patrick. We have more next, we'll tuggle NFL to wrap the show. Hang Tight cn R on FSR.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: Covino and rich Live from Mercedes Been Studios again. We're here on Tuesday and Wednesday and on Thursday in for Colin Cowhertz would definitely join us. We appreciate it and check out our social media. Cavino and rich for more. Actually, let's be friends. Let's do it. Joe played a little missy in Sierra? Did you play that? Because Sierra is packing up the house? Do you see Russell Wilson put the mansion on the market in Denver. You don't do that. You don't buy one of the most expensive properties in Colorado history and put it on the market if you don't think the writing's on the walls and play for the Jets. I hear one st Where's he? Where's he going? I keep doing just kidding. There's rumors and speculation on which teams he'd fit in best with, and of course the Raiders and the Steelers Jets. So something's going down. Or maybe he realized he had far too many bathrooms in that Denver mansion. What did he have? Like twelve? But he only had four bedrooms, which could be a tactic like I just don't want visitors. Who knows, we'll keep you put. We're gonna actually wrap up with the NFL. Well, you know what, let's take two quick phone calls and then I have thoughts on Russell Wilson. Well, we'll get to our more NFL stuff tomorrow. We're a couple of days for Dan, Greg and Louisiana. You're all at CNR. What's up Bud?
Speaker 7: Thanks guys. First of all, on and off the field, Steve Kime Arizona worst general manager, crap the bed with all his number one draft picks for over ten years, not to mention a terrible contract to Cliff Kingsbury and freeak In, Kylan Turdberry. And then just an off note, I went to high school with friends with Greg Pitts from the Office who made the face he got out the classes at the Vans High School.
Speaker 2: There you go, and by the way I left him? What do you call him? Kyler? Who do you call him? Cliff Turdberry had some name from anyway? Good bad coach. Let's go to Tommy. Wrap it up. We're in honor of the twenty fifth anniversary of Office Space. Who is your Lumberg? What coach? What boss? So to speak? Was the worst for your team? What's up Tommy?
Speaker 6: Hey, guys, So let's go back to the eighties, right for you? Eighties throwback? The Seahawks starting quarterback suddenly gets a job as the Washington head coach. Came out of nowhere. Nobody wanted Jim Zorn as a Washington head coach and nobody wanted how we longed to act in movies, but those were two bad professional moves that we just had to put up with. Thank god, Jimson is gone.
Speaker 2: Thank you Tommy. How long the movie start? And can I wrap it up with? You know who's the weakest manager.
Speaker 1: All on?
Speaker 2: Bill Lumberg style, Rich Davis of the Pink Sparkle Pixies. How I mean we're inform not even yeah, not even a manag He's a coach. I'm the manager. He's got a headset on because he's the DJ. Where gonna be the best six and under girl soccball team in the valley.
Speaker 4: You'll see, we'll see all right, But he can't turn off all the lights outside and put a spotlight scrobe them? You know?
Speaker 2: You know what then't the girls have a tendency to do every little kid when you try to feel the ground ball, there's a couple of girls that try to like push their glove down on it, and you have to teach them, like no, no, no, Well you know whose job is to teach him?
Speaker 3: Me?
Speaker 2: You you better get on it. Coach Dicky got a coach's job. Orn't you know tough questions. Guy thinks he's Tony LaRussa. Now you brought up Russell Wilson. Joel played a little Sierra one two step, great classic from the two thousands. Sierra's pack in the house. They put it on the market, which means writing is on the wall. Now you gotta ask yourself this. There's quarterbacks out there that you're gonna absorb a little money and there's not much you need to give in return. And then there's some players where you're gonna have to give something a return. So if you're Pittsburgh and Mike Tomlin, do you say, I want Justin Fields, But Chicago's gonna want something for Justin Fields and want Justin Fields over Russell Wilson. But you know what, Russell Wilson comes with a cheaper a cheap price tag for what his contract was, right, and you don't they're not wanting anything in return, the Broncos. The Broncos are pretty much saying, like, take them on a deal, we don't really need anything in return. So if you're the Pittsburgh Steelers or you know, one of these teams like the Vikings, if you have the Vikings, you stick with Cousins or do you say, oh, we want Justin Fields. Do you take a chance on a veteran or do you give a young guy a big contract? Like what about the Dolphins? If you're the Dolphins, do you say let's give two of the big deal or do you say, you know what, let's not do that the crust bringing like a Cousins or something like that, not a like a Cousin's. I'm saying he did well in that role towards the day he's done. That's that's all I think that I didn't mean this year. I'm just giving you the example from last year. That's Tampa Joel rug Florida team. Yeah, I know, I think they found their quarterback. And then tomorrow Rich based on all this, we're gonna try to figure out what team is looking best for next year. There's so much speculation, which should be the most excited. We're eight days where eight days removed from the Super Bowl, there's already articles, headlines, pieces done on what teams should the Chiefs be worried about? We just saw this morning. Was it on Speaker or ESPN? Was it on Fox or ESPA? Where it's who are the forty nine ers. Biggest worry in the NFC next season, It's like the biggest worry it was Green Bay. The Rams are the allions the end. No one's even given the Cowboys or Eagles credits. We'll talk about what teams should be concerned, who should be excited. We'll get to all that tomorrow, plus of course more just random fun here with Cavino and Rich and anything you miss you can always catch on the podcast. On the podcast search Cavino and Rich, leave a review you qualify for a swiggy and again if you want to watch what we do, we have a bonus pot over promised on Fox Sports Radio's YouTube pagee We'll see you guys tomorrow and for Dan until then, are web there Betty to see you in the Promised Land. Goodbye, guys,