Speaker 1: Kabbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old Republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: The Clearinghouse of Hot takes break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 1: In the air everywhere, The Fifth Hour with Me, Ben Maler and Danny g Radio and a happy Sunday to you, the final Sunday before the Ash Football League takes over. And also, oh, by the way, the final day of the month of August. We will bid a do it say? I'm told it's a holiday weekend this weekend? Is that correct, Danny? I know it's for some people's holiday. And when you were working, radio store never closes. The store is always open.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's not a holiday for us. We're working, Yeah, we were working.
Speaker 1: So but if you are celebrating the holiday weekend, I have a wonderful, glorious time and all that. But here we are hating out final day of August and we've got Ohio al ready to go, and that means it's the mail bag. It's this mail.
Speaker 3: Bag, today's mail bag, complaint free.
Speaker 1: We took care of all of our complaints yesterday. Yeah, that's sixty dollars for daycare. It's pretty an hour is pretty pretty extreme.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Eighty dollars in parking, you have me beat.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that was ridiculous. Eighty dollars. Even when I went to pay for the parking for the show, the guys like, you know, it's thirty bucks for the show. And the show's like at night. All these shows are ninety minutes. So we could do some math on that. Hold on a second, let me do some malor math on that. So I said, the complaining is over. Oh that's true. I guess I can't. Yeah, I can't.
Speaker 3: That would be that would be wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a lot. That was a lot per minute I was paying anyway. First best message from Reggie from Detroit. He writes in He says, Hey, Ben and Danny, I heard you the other night. Ben, you did one topic radio you don't normally do that. You talked about Michael Parsons pretty much the whole show. How did you handle the repetition? Says Reggie, it was fine, Reggie. There was a a lot to break apart. And I mentioned this on the show Nanny. We get into talk radio, there's a thing called the topic tree. I don't know if they still teach the topic tree anymore, but I learned the topic tree when I was a kid. And you have branches of the tree, and you start out with the main topic. And there were a lot of branches to the Micah Parsons tree. There was a lot to it. So to answer your question, Reggie, I did not really have that big a problem with it. It was a good story. And there's a lot of times I'll go into the radio studio and there's not a really good story, and so we had a good story to talk about. It was nice and juicy, and that was good. And so I would prefer not to do those kind of shows. I like talking about something different, catches my attention, it keeps the show flowing. I think there's a better flow to it when you change topics every hour and not just do the same thing. But it was yeah, it was all right. Al from Sin City, says Ben and Danny. Hey, Ben, after your latest voyage to Vegas, do you see yourself going full JT the brick mode and just staying there to do a residency with shadow band ballplayer, a shadow band ballplayer. I can see it now. On the Marquis Benny and the Bauer says, alf Yes, I think I'm in La through marriage. If I was, and my wife doesn't want to really live anywhere other than La, So I don't think I'll be leaving anytime soon. I have thought about it. Although Vegas is pretty big now, it's pretty massive. It's pretty pretty massive, so it's still much cheaper than La. I could see myself living in Vegas. Although it was one hundred and we did the Malor meet greet last week. It was one hundred and twelve degrees. We came out of the meat were at like six o'clock. It was one hundred degrees at one in the morning.
Speaker 3: No, no, you need if you live there, you need a swimming pool. Oh there's no question you have to Yeah, no question. You have to have a pool, which you.
Speaker 1: Have to have. Danny is a massive air conditioner the size of the dome where the Raiders play. Just a huge air conditioners which you have to have. It's so fricking Just stay inside. That's it my god, Scott's writes in on the mail back Fifth Hour. By the way, if you want to send a message in you can send it care of real fifth Hour at gmail dot com. That's real our at gmail dot com. Scott says, Hey, if you could hold a Mallard meet and greet at any location in the world, what would you choose? He says examples. I thought of the White House, a casino, sportsbook, a nunnery, and iHeart CEO's personal residents. What's the dream setting and why? Says Scott. It would be fun to go to a ballpark like Finway or Wrigley Field and have a Mallard meet and greet and now while there's a game going on, but just be able to play a game. We could have We could have teams of Mallard like people that show up with these meet and greets and they could play in a game on Finway, parks Field or Dodger Stadium or Wrigley Field or somewhere like That would be pretty cool.
Speaker 3: That would be cool. That would yeah, that would be a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Or we could just go to Klay Travis's house. That would be fun too. You know why, I'm sure that'll solve it. Uh, let's see what is my Steve Wrightson says in de Haas, Oh, this is a place that one of our listeners match I think it was Matt Jack wants us to do a mal of meat read. He says, Hey, guys, I love the show, never miss it via the podcast. And now I live in work Nights, lived in work nights for so col Gas. He's retired. Now I'm local and we avoid this place. He says. He avoids in DA has considered a dive and can be dangerous. Steve says, just ask the San Dimas Sheriff's department. He says, the food's not good, the service is not good. Wow, can you speak to some other locations might be okay during the daytime. I suggest you send in a point man to check it out. Well, Steve, I actually used to live out in your area in SoCal and I've been to Zendejas and it was okay. You gotta understand, though, and you've been to these meet and greets standing you can speak for this. We't Our crowd is a pretty tough crowd, like somewhere. Say that when we show up the sheriff department has to show up, you know what I'm saying. So I don't think we're worried about that. And I think the food was okay. The service was not great. When I was out there, the food was all right. I don't have a I have only been to Zenday House once and it was fine. It was good. We do these things during the day anyway, Steve, so it'd be like in the afternoon, it'll be fine.
Speaker 3: I don't think it'd be a problem with it.
Speaker 1: It's been out there for a million years. It can't be that bad. It's been around for thirty five years.
Speaker 3: Probably.
Speaker 1: I would say something like that, it's been a long time. Let's see Kwang from Vietnam Rights and says, hey, big Ben and Danny G. Would either of you guys eat the Indianapolis Colts poop pretzel?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: Well? Yeah, well, it looks like it looks like a turd. Have you seen this? Just google it, Danny. The Indianapolis Colts pretzel for this year. It's a giant it's shaped like the Colts logo.
Speaker 3: Okay, I have seen this on social media.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so you want to of course it's a pretzel. I would eat it. Why would you not eat it? It's a pretzel. Pretzels are delicious, They're wonderful. The middle part of the pretzel. I guess there's really no middle part of the pretzel though, right, it's.
Speaker 3: A horseshoe by the way. How good is that pretzel at Finney's?
Speaker 1: Oh? That is really good? Yeah, Danny, you had recommended that place on this podcast, and I was in Santa Barbara a couple of weeks ago with the wife and I was like, hey, we gotta go. She's always looking for places. He was place Fennis or fenni'es whatever, really good. That was probably my favorite restaurant in Santa Barbara.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's my food, you know, it's my kind of food. You're kind of food, right.
Speaker 3: Oh man, it's this big, piping hot pretzel that they bring out with three fancy dips, caramel like a sweet honey mustard, and melted cheddar. It is amazing. It is by far the fanciest best pretzel I've ever had in my life. Yeah, and I.
Speaker 1: Learned something about myself that I did not know when I was eating that pretzel. I did something that I didn't think I would do. I didn't think I enjoy, and I did that. Carmel was amazing that pretzel. Carmel tell me, oh, man, that's a home run in your mouth right there? Man? Was that kid?
Speaker 3: That's a drop.
Speaker 1: That's a home run in your mouth right there? All right, all right? Marcus in San Antonio writes and says, Dear Big Band and Danny G. One of my favorite things about the Weekend podcast is listen to you guys talk about things you did growing up as kids, through the bachelor years, and into marriage. I'm not sure if my favorite stories are about Danny G and his brother raising heck or Danny G sharing his wife's massage experiences. I hear your stories and I think about things I used to enjoy as a kid, like jumping on a pogo stick, riding a bike, or even playing corn hole in the backyard. We've all seen the extreme sports that took those things we did for fun into new heights, and some are now borderline life threatening. He says. Then I saw a clip of an Asian kid winning his eighth Yo yo championship racist and wondered, what is the next kid's toy or game?
Speaker 3: Why does it matter that he's Asian? Racist?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm just reading the email. He even said the guy's name here, but I didn't say that. I don't know who this person is. Just what's the next toy? He says. I always thank you for keeping me entertainment. I'm getting my weekend choice done. I never miss a podcast. God bless you Marcus in San Antonio, who sent a link to the yo Yo kid here, that yo Yo kid. So the way I'm determined this Marcus is, first of all, whatever's popular right now, whatever's kind of cool for young people right now, in twenty years on twenty forty five, will be monetized, marketed, and repackaged as nostalgia. That's my theory. Anything that's twenty years old or so, and maybe even more than that. What do you think they twenty thirty years? You gotta think when kids are like ten, So maybe thirty years is better.
Speaker 3: Well, i'd say twenty five.
Speaker 1: Okay, so twenty five years. So if someone's popular when you're ten years old, you gotta wait till the person's thirty five, because then they'll have a job, they'll have a family, most likely we'll have a career, they'll have money to spend to buy the product or support the product. So yeah, that's it. That's the key. I've figured it all out. I don't need to go to some marketing webinar or anything like that. It's just whatever is popular now. Twenty five years from now will they'll have a renaissance and all those people that are around thirty five or forty so oh, I remember that. It was so cool, It was awesome, amazing. That's a home run in your mouth right there. One of the things that I got a kick out of this week, and I was gonna do a monologue about this on back on Thursday, but then the Parsons trade happened and we had to we had to put that to bed. We couldn't, you know, we're pretty much talk to Parsons. The team called the Savannah Bananas. There was a story this week that the people at Major League Baseball want to partner with the Savannah Bananas, which, like, I look at that team. That's that's the kind of gimmicky team twenty five years from now, if there's if they're not around twenty five years from now, they'll pull out the guy and the gold tuxedo. You know, that guy that wears the yellow tuxedo and yeah, and they'll have like a nostalgia thing with the Savannah bananas and bring them back and and and all that. But that's like, that's kind of a fatty thing. Gotta be careful. I say that that's that's going on right now and will be popular. I don't know the other like what other stuff is really popular with kids that would be popular twenty five years from now. I'm in I'm in my lane, stay in your lane. So I'm not sure. Really young kids or teenagers like I'm talking about like you obviously have a very young yeah. By the talk about like yea kids ten eleven, twelve, you know, it's mostly video game stuff.
Speaker 3: And also fashions. I would say, like they're all wearing those stupid burking stocks right now, and they love the shoes, the white nikes, and then they get them all dirty and messed up looking on purpose, which is very interesting because when we were kids, we had those sneaker cleaning kits. We were so psycho about our shoes, our tennis shoes being clean that we had little kits to clean our shoes. Teenagers I have now they get their shoes dirty on purpose.
Speaker 1: Nice. Yeah, I remember we have white shoes, and I say, we never wear them, only wear them once in a while, don't wear them outside.
Speaker 3: You know, So our fourteen year old in twenty five years, there's gonna be a radio show that says, remember when it was popular to wear Birkenstocks sandals to school, And she's gonna be like, oh my god, I begged my mom and stepdad to have a pair of those. And they'll talk about white nikes and getting them dirty on purpose, and it's dumb, it makes no sense. But you know, hey, I guess every generation the pair and say the same exact thing.
Speaker 1: Let's let's let's have a party and pretend like we're going to school. All right, everyone wear your pajama bottoms because that's how you go to school, pajama bottoms and in the birkinstock. Yeah, all right, Ferg Dog Right, send from Fullerton to mail bag and CROs if you want to send a message in Real fifth Hour at gmail dot com. Real fifth Hour at gmail dot com. Ferg Dog in Fullerton, the winter Wonderland of Fullerton. I know Ferg's excited that we're going to get that new crop of tire Iraq commercials. Right winter has arrived, or Winter's Coming or anyway. Uh. Fergduck says, Hey, Ben and Danny g to maintain P one status in the mal or militia, is it now required to watch all your YouTube videos in addition to listening to the live show, the podcast of the live show, and the Fifth Hour podcast. I'm willing to do it. Ferg Dog says, just give me the word. Yeah, I'm giving you the green light on that for Duck. Now, you don't necessarily have to watch all the YouTube videos, but what you do have to do you have to click the play button and then just set it and forget it. Like Ron Polpiel, who was going to go on this podcast, was booked on this podcast and then decided the very last minute he didn't want to go on this podcast because he wanted to play with his grandkids. And then he's now he's dead. But good decision by him anyway. Yeah, you got to consume all that. Also, Fergdog says, I'm loving all the video game content on the show lately, whether it's your Sonic the Hedgehog lectures, or some guy calling in while playing Castlevania two. Simon's quest. I hope he calls back after he beats it, says Fergdum. Yeah, I've realized I've known this for a while now that the number of people, the number of dudes that stay up till three four in the morning playing video games and then have our show on in the background is next level. There's a lot of people that just love to play the video games and they get their radio fix and the video game thing at the same time. Next up is Joe from New New York, but not New York City. He says, guys, Taco Bell said this week they're reconsidering their drive through with AI, and what do you think about that? He said that the reason they're thinking about changing this up is because there have been some viral pranks. I guess on TikTok people have been pranking the AI drive through, and there was one prank, Joe says, involving a thousand or thousands of cups of water. I did not see that. Did you see a Taco Bell prank with thousands of cups of water?
Speaker 3: Didn't see that?
Speaker 1: I must have been How did I miss that? How would I How would I miss it? I don't know. But it's been close to five years since the surprise, you know, the metaverse was going to be here, and all this stuff the next big thing, and artificial intelligence is around and Taco Bell reevaluating its use of AI in drive throughs a a very rocky rollout. I've been getting a lot of trolling because of it. There's some viral videos. According to Wall Street Journal, there are currently more than five hundred locations where customers can place their order via virtual assistant. However, apparently there are there are some issues. For example, here's I found the story here. It said some people doing pranks and taking advantage of the AI. One person unsuccessfully attempted to get the AI to ring up an order for eighteen thousand cups of water before an actual employee had to step in. Okay, well that would have been Why not just a five hundred would have been funny too. Five hundred would have been good.
Speaker 3: While we're on some food, be fun here. Did you see what McDonald's is doing?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: This what they got. This is from CNN a few days ago. The inflation crisis that followed the pandemic altered many customers' views of McDonald's from a cheap place to get a quick meal to a pricey fast food restaurant that barely undercut a higher quality sit down restaurant like Applebee's or Chili's, with the latter thriving over the past few years, McDonald's is now cutting prices of its combo meals to convince customers that it's affordable again.
Speaker 1: Oh, that'll do it. Yeah, that's it. Well, they knock a dollar off. Remember McDonald's, all these fast food places, we haven't done foodie fun recently. We learned that on that you can still get cheap fast food, but you have to do it on the app. And most people, I guess are not doing the app. They're not downloading the McDonald's app or the Burger King app.
Speaker 3: It's a very good point. In fact, Brenda just downloaded the McDonald's app for the first time to get some breakfast from there, and she is amazed at the app. And I told her about the stupid app two years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sometimes it takes a while delayed reaction. You planted the seed, Danny. It was a de laateed reaction speaking of well, this is serendipitous, Danny. You mentioned the McDonald's and we talked about food. Well, Paul from Orlando, he says he listens every single morning. He can't sleep because he's old. Well, I guess that's our future, Danny. Anyway, Paul says, do you see this story, guys, worst fast food item in America? The top ten worst fast food items in America. I know Terry in England loves a list. This is not my list, so it doesn't count. I don't do lists. It's just this is a story that Paul from Orlando Terry. If you're upset, contact Paul. He says he's old and he can't sleep because his body hurts, so contact him. So this is a study done. And how much fast food do you eat? Danny? I don't eat much fast food. I'll occasionally eat raising canes. That's my little dirty secret. Sometimes I'll go to Chick fil A with the wife or something, but very rarely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say once a week, if not every other week.
Speaker 1: Okay, So how are you going? Can you name? How about? I'll give you five guesses, and how many of those five are in the top ten worst rated fast foods in the nation. These are items fast food items that are rated the worst.
Speaker 3: Oh, this is specific to the fast food Joint.
Speaker 1: Yes, American fast food who scored the lowest. What food particular items like? You could say a taco from Taco Bell, gotcha?
Speaker 3: Gotcha? Okay, I'm going to say a burger from Burger King.
Speaker 1: Burger from Burger King. Not there strike on on the top. That might be because people stopped eating.
Speaker 3: At Burger King. What's next?
Speaker 1: Number two?
Speaker 3: I mean, I wish I knew more about fast food is probably good. I don't know that much about fast food. I'm like you, more like you. We go to Chick fil A, Panda Express, Rotate, and sometimes Taco Bell is a treat maybe once a month.
Speaker 1: Well again, I don't do this. I'll give you the big board.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll give you the big boy.
Speaker 1: Let me give you the big board. I'll just go real quick. Ten worst from the home office is Dave Leederman say home office in somewhere in Nebraska. Number ten. Domino's Pasta was number ten pasta. Papa John's wings was number nine, Pizza Hut breadsticks was number eight. Those are the same breadsticks I ate thirty years ago. They have not changed them. The Chipotle case ideas are those are on there? Domino's wings. Apparently people don't like wings from fast food Number five was a Panda Express. I them, Danny, the fortune cookie from Panda Express.
Speaker 3: Yees, god, there, they're always stale. Yeah, not good.
Speaker 1: They likely bought them all in nineteen ninety nine and they're still giving them out all these Jude. Number four, the KFC chicken sandwich was number four. Looks good apparently does not taste good. Number three back to back in belly the belly was the KFC chicken tenders. That's not good if you're Kentucky Fried Chicken and you've got the lowest, fourth lowest rated chicken sandwich and the third lowest rated chicken tenders. And now to the top two, Danny the top two number two. Number two the Chipotle rice bowl. I've never had a rice bowl from Chipotle, so I could not tell you that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, me neither.
Speaker 1: And number one, Number one, that would be the chicken tends at McDonald's rated the worst fast food item in America. Congratulations to McDonald's A way to Go. It's a great honor there. I'm sure you're very proud that you've come up with the worst item imaginable at a fast food restaurant.
Speaker 3: Still a good treat, though, Ben to go there once in a while so you don't die young, and get some fries and their diet coke. The carbonation there is off the hook.
Speaker 1: Gotta go fries, and you've got to get the cone, the vanilla cone, or a Sunday. I'd allow a Sunday. And you got to go to the in La. You got to go over to Downey to the original, well not the original, but the oldest standing McDonald's where they have oh yeah, McDonald's. They have the fries, they.
Speaker 3: Have the pot, the fried apple pie where I.
Speaker 1: Remember being a kid biting into that fried apple pie burning my mouth.
Speaker 3: Not only your tongue, you would burn the roof of your mouth.
Speaker 1: It was so painful. It was the the heat equivalent of when you get brain freeze from eating ice cream too fast.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: It was wild and the doing apple stuff would it.
Speaker 3: Would run down so good man, it was.
Speaker 1: It was wild. What else do we have? Let's see here. This one's from Tony in Phoenix. He says, hey, guys, there was a study that revealed which generation of Americans want a four day work week the most. And Tony says, Ben, I know you can read this. You should ask Danny, So I'll ask you, Danny, because Tony wants me to put you on the spot. This is according to research done by Talker Research. I don't know what that is. And they found which generation blank generation the most likely to support a four day work week? What do you say?
Speaker 3: Gen Z?
Speaker 1: You're going gen Z all right? Surveys no, Millennials, no, millennials as a generation are most likely to support a four day work week. Seventy five percent of millennials want to do a four day work week. And then gen Z was a little less, but close, little less. I think we're part of gen X, right? Are we part of Gen X?
Speaker 3: We are?
Speaker 4: We're Generation X, Generation X all right, so we were the last the last generation without the internet, right, I think that'd be accurate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why we're the most creative generation.
Speaker 1: That's right, baby, Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 3: And that's why we're good communicators.
Speaker 1: I don't mind working. In fact, we don't do a four day weekday, we do an eight day week. Here.
Speaker 3: You ain't lying.
Speaker 1: It's it is a grind, man, It can't be a grind at times. We love doing the podcast, but it's as long as you get you guys keep listening, We'll keep doing it, but the moment the numbers go down, I'm out. That's it. And and really the cool thing is that you should get more people. I'll talk to a buddy of mine about this. We need more people to get other people who listen to the podcast, not because necessarily we're good at podcasting, but this literally costs the company money. We get paid based on how many people listen to this podcast correct any essentially a percentage of how many people listen to the buddies. Yeah, so technically they call it impressions. Impressions. Yeah, so you want to stick it to iHeart and cost them lost them money and then get more people to listen to this podcast, not because we're good, not because we're doing a great thing. I think we are, But if that's up to.
Speaker 3: You, Yeah, if you really want to make a good impression, send this podcast to a family member or friend for us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because we'll get a little extra scratch out of it, and that's kind of cool. Vince from Northern California, right Sin says Hey, Ben and Daddy G my two favorite Dodger fans, says, Spirit Airlines filed for bankruptcy. I've heard you guys talk about Rob Parker and his love of Spirit Airlines. How will Rob recover? Yeah? I don't think they're going out of business, right, Danny. I think they just filed for bankruptcy so they can re shuffle the finances.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I guess they're just doing what a lot of big companies have done. Yeah, basically, it's debt management.
Speaker 1: Yeah, debt management. We know a lot about that. Travis and Dallas, several people right now, I'm using one from Travis and Dallas. He says, Ben and Danny, did you guys pour one out this week for Doris Burke? And I don't know much about history, but I know the French and German don't like one another. Racist. Yeah, so Doris got demoted from the NBA games on ESPN. She's but I'm not gonna pour one out for Doris Burke and people. I used to RiPP her all the time because I ripped her because she was bad at her job. I didn't rip her because she's a bad person. I don't know Doris Burke. I've never met her. I mean, she's fine, she's just bad at commentating on the NBA and I would always hit the mute button. So I'm not gonna pour one out. She got a contract extension, So what do you want me to do? I'd be good for her. She got a contract extension, all right, Danny, we'll get out on that. Thanks to everyone else who we didn't get to. I'm trying to think of some names that George, no Bill, Bill from Georgia, Brent somewhere in Ohio.
Speaker 3: I feel like you're just making up names right now.
Speaker 1: I can show you the emails. If you want a guy named Mike in southern California, there's only there's only a two people named Mike. All right, we will be back. I'll be back tonight. It is a holiday for most holiday weekend, but I will be doing it live on the radio in the overnight leading into an NFL week Baby and Danny, any surprises for you this week?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we are also working Coveno and Rich will be filling in for Dan Patrick and the Dan Hats who are taking the holiday off, so you could wake up with us six am on the West coast, nine am in beautiful. Let's think of a good East Coast city.
Speaker 1: Beautiful, beautiful, anything Virginia Beach.
Speaker 3: Ye like it's a good one. I'm getting a lot of calls there for c and our beautiful Virginia Beach, Virginia.
Speaker 1: Good military town. I've only been to Virginia Beach once and I was walking up the boardwalk there and there were I felt like I was in my childhood. There were a lot of planes from the military bases flying. They were doing their exercises over the beach there, Virginia Beach. I have a wonderful, wonderful rest of your Sunday and we will chat you. Thanks for listening. Bye, I appreciate it. We'll chat you with you next time.
Speaker 3: Later.
Speaker 1: Skater got a murder, I gotta go. That's a home run in your mouth right there.