Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalist at Comedy Center is America's.
Speaker 3: Only sorts for news.
Speaker 2: This is The Daily Show with your host Song Steward.
Speaker 1: What the back? Why is a Join Holt of the Daily Show? My name is John Stewart. We've got an unbelievable program prepared for you tonight. Gary Clark Junior is going to be here later to do.
Speaker 4: A little bit more with the LP machine going.
Speaker 1: But before we get to that, let's bring a little meeting into all our lives. Let's get to I don't know what I'm talking about. Let's get to the big news today. Breathless anticipation at Trump Tower over an important and perhaps earth taguing development in the world. Are former President Donald J. Trump?
Speaker 3: Celebrations are underway for former President Trump after claiming he won two golf trophies at his West Palm Beach club.
Speaker 1: That's right, woke libs, you think Donald Trump's a loser? What would a loser brag about winning a golf tournament at his own course. I don't think so. Although obviously Trump has an advantage playing golf, it's difficult for his opponents to say focus when they spend all that time staring at that ass. Come on, a lot of times golfers let you grab them by the asshole. Well, you love it if you're a celebrity. That's the worst Trump impression in the history of Trump organs. Actually, Trump one of the few talented golfers who has a thick ass and a front butt. He has a front button. So what it does is the butt and the front butt become like a big like a ball, like a big ball, the back and the front. It helps with the center of gravity. It's like being on a hipitie hop. But I'm kidding, of course. Congratulations Donald Trump on winning the Trump Cup. I'm actually talking about today's big Trump legal development.
Speaker 3: The clock is ticking for former President Donald Trump. You'll need to post a nearly half a billion dollar bond in order to satisfy his New York civil fraud case judgment. Otherwise the state could begin seizing properties to pay for it.
Speaker 1: Damn. That's right. All week we sat with breathless anticipation to see if Trump had four hundred and fifty four million dollars in his wallet or would Trump Tower be turned over to New York City to perhaps ease our terrible housing crunch, or more likely to do what they always do, another shitty Walgreens, I think. I think another shitty Wallgreens whose shelves are bear from the rogue bands of shoplift us. Thanks a lot, David Dinkins, is he? I don't know very small percentage of the audience who will understand whatever do, but the ones that do. As you can imagine the prospect of Trump being held accountable for what would be the first time had the media enthralled. Donald Trump is running out of time to find four hundred and sixty four million dollars former.
Speaker 3: Presidents legal problems may finally be catching up with him.
Speaker 5: Could this be the beginning of the end for Trump's business empire? It does seem as though we are getting closer Trump.
Speaker 2: Filling the walls, closing in on him. Panic mode. I'm told of setting it.
Speaker 6: I think we're going to be writing a version of an obituary of the Trump Organization.
Speaker 1: On IP the Trump Organization, it died as it lived fraudulently. Look, folks, it is very difficult to come back from an obituary. It looks like it's the end of the line for Donald J. Trump. Esquire. No way he comes up with half a billion dollars by the end of the day. I've been saving this since twenty sixteen, and it's finally here. And it's finally here.
Speaker 2: Judgment died four months ago.
Speaker 7: The former president got a financial lifeline from a New York appeals court.
Speaker 1: This isn't going to be good.
Speaker 7: It reduced the bond he must pay in the civil fraud case for more than four hundred and fifty million dollars to one hundred and seventy five million dollars and gave him more time to pay for it.
Speaker 1: Well, that's still something. That's ten days to come up with one hundred and seventy five million. I mean, unless he's about to come and do a shit ton of money, I don't see how he does that.
Speaker 6: The recent merger of Truth Social couldn't at the former president some three billion dollars.
Speaker 1: Mother, ooh ooh. That is New Year's Eve. You know, let's take a step back. What did Trump actually do to earn this penalty. Well, it turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan or make a deal, he would illegally inflate the value of his real estate, for instance, suggesting that his eleven thousand square foot penthouse was a thirty thousand square foot penhouse. Guess somehow including the sky in the calculation. We all do it. I mean, in my license, I'm not listed as five to seven. You know, I'm listed as thirty thousand square feet and the that's thank you. And the Attorney General of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the various same properties. It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as lying. See. So the judge calculated that the value that he gained from the lying with interest was around four hundred and fifty four million dollars. Now you might be saying to yourself, well that sounds pretty straightforward. Whatever gains you got from lying, you have to pay back. Well, that's because you're were a idiot. No, if you knew anything about business, if you had an MBA, you know, an idiot. We were talking about aless crime.
Speaker 8: They find an ordinance or law that it's never been used ever before in anyone else.
Speaker 9: He's committed bank fraud where there's no victim.
Speaker 8: It makes no sense.
Speaker 2: No victims, There was no victim. The ruling is blatantly unfair.
Speaker 6: That didn't go over very well with the investment community because we're all asking each other who's next, Who's.
Speaker 1: Next the persecuted minority of the investment community. First, first, they came first. They came for the arbitrags, and I said nothing, for I was not in arbitrage. And then they came for the quants, which I could be. I don't know what it want. But I am surprised to hear this from Kevin O'Leary, the guy who's such an asshole wait that even the other people on Shark Tank thinks he's an asshole. Now, Shell, I'm surprised to hear that he's so chill about overvaluing something that he thinks is victimless, because when someone tries to do that to him.
Speaker 6: Which one of you do, I absolutely tear to pieces. Now on a twenty eight million dollar valuation, you think this.
Speaker 2: Is worth ten million dollars? Now, I'm going rik your pieces.
Speaker 1: Are you out of your mind?
Speaker 6: Your valuation's insane, your valuation's crazy. I think that's a crazy valuation. I think your valuation is stinky.
Speaker 1: Pooh pooh oh, No you did it. Canadians are so vulgar. How is he not this mad about overvaluations in the real world because they are not victimless crimes. First, the banks got paid back at lower interest rates, although to be honest, who gives a shit. But second, money is an infinite alone that goes to the liar, doesn't go to someone who's giving a more honest evaluation. So the system becomes incentivized for corruption. And this is part of a different Trump fraud case. But avoiding taxes hurts all of us. Donald Trump Shenanigan's cost the city of New York. And to be honest, and let's be frank here, that is money that the City of New York could have used to build more Walgreens. Now some blocks, only half two of them. Leave it to Kevin O'Leary to be unaware enough to say the quiet part out loud.
Speaker 8: I hear about the so called victimus crimes. But the laws on the books, falseification of business records and second degree issuing false financial statements, insurance fraud, conspiracy and all these different aspects of it, those are actual crimes. I think as your point is that these should not have been prosecuted.
Speaker 6: Everything you just listed off is done by every real estate developer everywhere on earth, in every city. This has never ever been prosecuted.
Speaker 1: There is a theory in law that if enough people commit a crime, it automatically becomes legal. You're familiar with the purge, are you not? The thing entitled arrogance. I don't know if you know this, but most people just can't commit fraud and expect to face no repercussions even if everyone's doing it. Try getting a car loan by saying you have ten times as much money as you really do, or claim twenty dependents when you have no children, or say you make slightly less money to qualify for food assistance. I will guarantee you there are not just financial consequences for those lives, but criminal ones. But don't tell that to the investment community, because their minds in pursuit of profit. There is no rule that cannot be bent, there is no principle that cannot be undercut as long as you and your friends making money, and the only immoral.
Speaker 4: Practice hold on. I'm not done. If I could wait bag of raids m chair up, I would Apparently the only immoral.
Speaker 1: Practice in the capitalist system is to use that money for people who may need it.
Speaker 5: Broadways and abuse people never want to be honest about but a lot of these parents, will you know?
Speaker 2: They abuse a system.
Speaker 5: A lot of them are encouraged to abuse the system.
Speaker 6: Way do you think the money that you get for food stamps and other things?
Speaker 2: Who do you think pays that money your healthcare? You're taking their money and you just don't seem to care.
Speaker 8: The guy who walks out of the store with a bag of food, is he entitled to it because food is a necessity and he doesn't have enough of it?
Speaker 1: You nutrition needing mothers, bringing our system to its knees. Stealing is only justified when you already have too much. Ultimately, whether or not Trump is a victim of selective prosecution, it's going to be a matter for the Supreme Court to decide. Luckily, that is an institution which still holds the trust of the American people because of its integrity.
Speaker 5: For years, Justice Clarence Thomas has secretly accepted luxury gifts from a GOP mega donor, Harlan Crowe, Gifts like private jet flights, luxury yacht cruises and according to the report, the Supreme Court justice never reported them on annual financial disclosures.
Speaker 4: Victimless.
Speaker 1: It's a victimless crime. When we come back, Derek Clark Junior, we'll be joining me on the show Don't Get Away.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I got right.
Speaker 1: A Browny Award win a musician. A new album is called jpeg Roll. Please welcome Gary Clark Junior. Gary, so you know how much I love your music and what you do. I've heard you have heard I bother Gary, actually quite frequently because I'm such a fan of yours and because I love the music. But this album, jaypegra is, I just feel like it is a masterpiece. You killed the dude, it's so much. It's so good. That good.
Speaker 2: I kind of felt that way, but it's good to hear somebody say it out loud.
Speaker 1: When you are because it is a not solitary process. But you don't have people really responding live or anything. You're you're writing, I guess in a environment without an audience.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, yeah, which is kind of terrifying because in my own world I think it's the best thing ever.
Speaker 2: But you never know until album drop days and people can be like nah, we don't want it, but it's been good so far.
Speaker 1: You could always if you needed reinforcement or any kind of comment. Obviously you have my number. Yeah yeah, and you're more than welcome to use it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 10: Well, also, you know therebut you doing this drumming thing, so I'm killing it.
Speaker 2: If you need a backup, all maybe you can.
Speaker 1: Have a van if we need to travel to do stuff. Absolutely, that's important the band that I'm in. First of all, I'm not the youngest or oldest person in it, and second of all, I'm not even the best drummer in it.
Speaker 2: That's okay, you think, So, that's okay, you'll be fine, all right.
Speaker 1: I'm very appreciative of that. I'm so glad that you've offered for us to open up for you on this. We just started to write music. I'm telling you though, Man, what I love about this album too is like, you know, there's the Gary Clark Junior thing like that destroyed a hard drive. This album is every generation, every decade of Americana music is in it. Man, Like was that intentional? I mean you croon on this the falsetto, Like there's glam rock, like you're banging it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, well we did this this This record mostly was written during the pandemic. So I was by myself in a very smoky room doing whatever I wanted.
Speaker 1: Oh so the room is on fire. Sure, okay, yeah, you were just letting yourself go to every place musically artistically that you want to go.
Speaker 10: Well, I decided during that time, Well, there was no one saying Gary Clark Junior the guitar player, any of that stuff. I've kind of been pushed into being this guy who's like the savior of the blues, and the blues is going to be fine.
Speaker 2: It's the music that will stand a tax of time. Like it's everything's cool, true, right, I.
Speaker 1: Will say this, people will always be sad. But the other stuff, Man, you hit a false setto and I was like, I didn't even know you had that.
Speaker 10: Well, when I was a kid, I had an R and B group it's called Young Soul with the buddy of mine, Robbie Sublett, and we used to sing like R and B songs, So we would sing boys to men as yet all for one mista. And so Robbie was like this good looking kid, superstar. All the girlers loved him, and I was like his backup singer, right basically, but we were a group.
Speaker 1: And yeah, you're not any of those things.
Speaker 10: I thought I was going to be an R and B singer, right, And then he ended up move into France and my friend Eve had a guitar down the street and she was like, come hang out with us, and I just I grew up as a kid listening to R and B music, Curtis Mayfield, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: So what was it like when Stevie Wonder so Stevie Wonders on this record?
Speaker 2: Yes, which is been honest? What was it when?
Speaker 1: Now? Did you did you reach out to Stevie Wonder and say, hey man, I've been a fan since I was a kid. Any chance you might want to jump in or no?
Speaker 2: He actually called me, yeah, Stevie Wonder. Stevie Wonder facetimed me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wait, Stevie Wonder did what Stevie Wonder FaceTime me? He facetimed here.
Speaker 2: It was pretty cool.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna avoid that. Yeah, for what was the impetus? Did he just say like, hey man, I've heard yourself, I love it? Like, what's what was the impetus.
Speaker 10: Well, yeah, well he had called me to do a song on his record. It was Where's Our Love Song? On a record he released in twenty twenty. And then soon after that, everything was kind of going crazy, and I was frustrated. There was no outlet. I wasn't out seeing people. I was just in my phone. And then I got to recording a video of me kind of going, what the hell's going on?
Speaker 2: You know, in the world, in the world, It's like, what are we gonna do?
Speaker 9: You know?
Speaker 2: I was frustrated.
Speaker 10: I was a little angry as concerned, but always with a sense of hope. So he facetimes me and he always says, my.
Speaker 2: Name really weird. It's funny. He goes, geah rah, I don't know where that comes from. So that's my name now. Yeah. But so he called me and said, I heard I heard what you were saying. I see you.
Speaker 10: Let's make a song about it, he said, as a matter of fact, I have an idea. It's a song called what About the Children. He's like, I'm gonna send you a voice memo. You want to collab? But I'm like, what am I gonna say?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 10: So he sends me the demo and I get to working on the record with my band in the studio. We go back and fourth and I said, well, will you sing on it now? And not only does he sing on it, he plays beautiful harmonica, he plays clavinet. He hadn't played clive And I think thirty something years.
Speaker 2: Really classic Stevie.
Speaker 10: But like in the future, it's amazing he's eighty something years old and.
Speaker 1: Is he really?
Speaker 10: And I thought that I was working hard in the studio and if you ever see, if you ever think you're doing too much, watch Stevie Wonder work really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's incredible and it's still just joyful. I mean, the one thing about Stevie Wonder is when he plays boy, do you you feel the joy? You see the joy? It just emanates off of him.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, He's He's tapped into something that I don't think that many people are able to tap.
Speaker 1: Into, right, what did joy to be able to work with that? And then you got George Clinton. We had George Clinton come on. This supposed to have been ten or eleven years ago, and I just remember that day being like, is George here? Yet? Like George Clinton, He's like he's like I think he's in a van coming up the turnpike. But it was one of those like a dude named Shakey was driving him and like nobody really knew what was happening.
Speaker 2: Dude name Shaky, though, is always the most solid you can do.
Speaker 1: That's probably the truth. The song Habits, Yeah, what's that.
Speaker 10: It's a song about struggles, you know, just really struggles, my personal struggles. It's something that I've always kind of been shy about h expressing. You know, in this world it's like the flex and everything's cool and everything's rah rah, and you know, post the trophies and the great times and golf tournament.
Speaker 1: If you win a golf tournament, put that, put that right.
Speaker 4: Out there, congratulates saw its amazing, Yeah, amazing Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how do you win that?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, So don't worry about anything else is going on? I want this thing twice.
Speaker 10: Yeah, So it's it was you know, I've had my struggles over the years. I got into the business as a young as a young person fourteen, right, and older folks with they taught me how to drink, they taught me how to smoke, and you know, I've had my battles ever since. And you know, had some losses in my life and just being really honest about it. So I've got habits that I just can't break. When I think.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a beautiful song.
Speaker 10: It's it's real, and it's and it's raw, and I hate to like make everybody sad, but I think it's cool.
Speaker 1: It's it's fantastic and it's you know, there's also a certain courage and just saying like, hey man, and this song is nine minutes and it's worth every minute. It's worth every second. I think it's beautiful.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Well, we actually chopped off a two minute intro.
Speaker 1: So I felt it was lacking something. Yeah, you know, I felt that in the beginning.
Speaker 2: It's more.
Speaker 1: No, it's it's fantastic. It's always such a pleasure to see you mates.
Speaker 2: Thanks, it's such a good man.
Speaker 1: It's available now we'll do that back up to day.
Speaker 9: It's Oh, I.
Speaker 4: Got out tonight.
Speaker 1: Before we go, we're gonna check in your host for the rest of the week, mister Jordan Klepper. Hey, Hey, what tell me this? What are you What are you gonna be talking about this week? Oh?
Speaker 9: John, I gotta tell you it'll be a bittersweet week, as it will be my last week at the show. Yes, before I transition to my new job. You're looking at the new CEO Boeie.
Speaker 1: You don't want I wouldn't plaud that. It says, yeah, you don't have, and I don't mean this to disparage. Do you have any experience in aeronautics or or business or anything? No?
Speaker 9: Okay, okay, but I brought this wrench to the interview and they were like, oh my.
Speaker 2: God, you have exactly what we've been looking for.
Speaker 1: It's every worse than what they had. Jordan Clepper all this week. Everybody here it is. You know, none of this would be happening if Donald Trump wasn't running for president.
Speaker 10: They've issued ninety one indictments against Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: Charles Man and Phase ten.
Speaker 1: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten.
Speaker 8: Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 1: This has been a Comedy Central podcastow