Speaker 1: Scott You ready, Oh buddy, I'm ready to have the episode of a lifetime.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, good, here it is. Taiwanese designer created a tear gun that collects and freezes her actual tears to shoot them back at the person who hurt her.
Speaker 1: Man, this is gonna sell like friggin' hotcakes. Oh, let's get into it. On a very very very great episode of The Bananas Podcast.
Speaker 3: All the way around the world.
Speaker 4: Got drop baby, baby.
Speaker 2: Driving, baby, guys goals, non binary pals. Welcome to the Bananas Podcast. I'm Kurt Brown, all.
Speaker 1: That banana boy number two Scotty landis. Thank you for listening to the silliest little podcast ever. What what was web? We are the uh, we're just unpredictable here. You never know what.
Speaker 2: You're never gonna say. Gott He's gonna say?
Speaker 1: Was we keep you on your toes? We went to the exactly right holiday party last night at Highland Park Bowl is a very very great party.
Speaker 2: It was very pleasant. It wasn't It was nice to see you as well in person.
Speaker 1: I know. It was fun to see the whole gang, all our accountants, the lawyers, the casting people, all the behind the scenes people. Exaclyvate, who were extremely nice and it was fun to watch them ball. It's fun to see the other talent. It was just wonderful. And I drank like eight margeritas because we were having so much fun. And at some point you said, let's talk about that on the podcast tomorrow. And I don't remember what we were talking about that you said to talk about.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I remember no, but I remember saying it, just being like, that is fascinate.
Speaker 1: Maybe it'll come back to us. That's the joy of tequila and lime and quantro and salt and rocks.
Speaker 2: But what I did say to you, because we were talking about your fantastic dog, is that everyone should go and listen to this American life that came out like in like the like the first of December, because there's an amazing story about a wolf pack that is.
Speaker 1: So good.
Speaker 2: It's just delightful. Go listen to it and enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Guy. Wolves, Man, wolves they're.
Speaker 2: Cool, They're very interesting. I was like, oh, this is fascinating, and it's all told from the perspective of a guy who just literally every single day just goes and watches wolves in I think Yellowstone or something. And I was like that's his whole job. He does that seven days a week, is just look at wolves and like track them and write down what they do, and then he publishes books and then people do studies based on his observations of the packs of wolves that live in Yellowstone. Is that's not that's just the beginning.
Speaker 1: About alphas, and that it's not true that they do talk about Okay, okay, let's talk about it again, because the alpha myth is so prevalent in our society for everybody out there, the alpha myth.
Speaker 2: So it was a guy who wrote a book. He had been watching these wolves and he noticed that one was like the leader and uh, and so we wrote this book called the Alpha Male and published it and then continued. After he published it, he went back into the woods and kept watching the the the wolf pack, and then finally realized that who he thought was alpha male was just simply the dad of the wolf pack, and that wolf packs are just familial and it's not like an alpha male thing at all. It's simply parenting. It's just the parents are in charge. Sometimes it's a mom, sometimes it's a dad. Uh. And then he went back and he's like no, no, no, it's not true. And everyone was like, we're running.
Speaker 1: With it too late. I'm in my gains phase. I'm going to work out and I'm going to be an alpha male. I mean those camps when they whenever I see those on Instagram or YouTube or whatever, where it's like men at an alpha how to be an alpha male? Oh boy?
Speaker 2: I mean, or when you see like Caesar Milan talking about alpha male dog behavior and everything, and it's like, no, no, it's not it's just a dad, it's just a mom.
Speaker 1: I was in a pitch in New York in God twenty twelve and I mentioned Caesar at the top of the pitch, like, oh did you Caesar that dog? And the executive like snapped at me ironically and was like I don't like that man. And I was like, oh, they're like he's mean to dogs. And I was like, oh boy. I was like I'm not selling this one. And then I had to pitch to a guy that instantly I like pulled on some emotional ripcord that he just blew up. I mean, he didn't like yell at me, but he was not happy that I mentioned Caesar, and so I was like, note to self, shut up. And just start the pitch. Oh man, I'll talk. I was at a pitch on I was at a pitch I think it was a Fox pitch and they left me.
Speaker 2: They put me like I got I got there. I was in the waiting room and then someone came and got me and brought me into the room that I was going to be pitching in. And there's two chairs and then the couch right, and it's like normal that you usually sit on the couch, but the couch is always set up so that you are uncomfortable and either sink into it or you have to sit on the edge of it like you're a dainty little little person. And so I sat in one of the chairs and because they because they left me in there for forty five I'm not kidding, forty five minutes waiting. I just waited for forty five minutes in that office. And then he came in and he goes, actually I usually sit there, and I was like, yeah, but I've been in here for quite some time, so I'm gonna sit here. And then it was just I just like killed it right off the bat. There was no way he made me move. Eventually, like we had like a little thing over it uh, And it wasn't his office. It wasn't like I came into his office and sat in his chair or anything. It's just like a random room in like the Oh, I hated it so much.
Speaker 1: I don't like when I know, I mean, our fans just go gaga when we when we have hot takes. I don't like in restaurants when they have sofas as the chairs.
Speaker 2: Oh, are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: It's a nightmare.
Speaker 2: Who wants that? I mean, like, am I an ancient rome where I'm supposed to lay down? I don't understand how they ate in ancient rome laying down. It feels like the most uncomfortable way to eat is at an angle.
Speaker 1: No, thank you, I don't. I can't stand it. It seems so much grosser to me. Like you can win decks a chair, you can spray and wipe down a chair, but you think they're ever cleaning those sofa cushions. Give me a break. I don't want to eat pie on a sofa. I want a very a chair like a man does.
Speaker 2: The very fancy French restaurant. Lauren and I went to the first time we ever went to Paris on like our third date or something. We told this story on the podoc. Yeah. It was this hyper hip restaurant and it was all in a house and we were seated where I was on a bed. Yeah, I was seated on a bed and Lauren was on like a low chair and so I I'm just this like like like the bed was way higher than the chair she was sitting in. So it just looked like this, like this gigantic bird was about to eat this little worm at the table. I mean, it was so uncomfortable and awful.
Speaker 1: It is folks.
Speaker 2: We did run out on the check.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Good, that's the only way to do it. Yeah. Did you ever go to that club? I bet it's still there in Manhattan bed where it was just lounging in beds.
Speaker 2: I went to the one in Tye in Bangkok because my brother brought me there when he lived there in whatever two thousand and six.
Speaker 1: Again, like not cool. It seems like it's it was all like models, And honestly, Jared Letto was there. It was the middle of the day on a Saturday. Our friend Anthony was friends with identical twin promoters in the city club promoters and they were nice guys. I'm sure they run Manhattan. I don't remember their names, but they.
Speaker 2: Were identical twin promoters. That is so New York.
Speaker 1: And so they we were like hanging out and he was like, hey, they like have some beds if you want to go, and I was like, okay, I'll check it out. And I, you know, to say I had one hundred dollars my bank account might be an overstatement. And I go and it's like a who's who of nobody I could care about, and Jared Leto and some models. And then you're like, oh, they're gonna go get us some beers in a bottle of vodka because we're here with the promoters. And I'm like, so, we're just gonna just a few dudes just laying on a bed bed job of the hut, just drinking some coronas.
Speaker 2: You're a really job at it.
Speaker 1: This is fun. You're just hutting it up up here with old with this cult guy over here and all these women, and you're like, what is this? How is this something that people wait outside and pay money to get into? Everything just felt like flimsy. It was horrible.
Speaker 2: I do feel like we're not far away from a job of the hut style bar where you're on beds, but then at a certain point in the night, like a button gets hit and then all the beds move over, revealing like viewpoints into like a pit where like people then fight to the deam.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I thought they were going to be doing the hibbitidibity, but I like that they're fighting to the death. Yeah, you're probably right. I know. I always wanted to open a barco gymnastics, and the barstools were pommel horses, and you wash your hands and the things that look like powder, but it's just water and everything. All the TVs were dated, old color TVs playing reruns of nineteen seventies, nineteen eighties, and nineteen nineties US gymnastics competitions.
Speaker 2: You got to a drink called the Mary Lou right, Yeah, of course, that's a little blue drink. It'd be delightful, little red, white and blue drink.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just have a Dominique DAWs. That would be a nice drink. She was always something special. I like Gabby Douglas the Flying Squirrel. You just have a drink called the Flying Squirrel.
Speaker 2: Hell, yeah, that's great. Here's another idea, because my kid goes to this. It's it's like a gymnastics club and it's u and it's just you know, this huge warehouse and all these pits filled with foam like squares that they can like jump off of trampolines into or like balance on a bar beam and then jump into a pit of foam. So here it is, all right, that's the first. That's the first cannabis bar in Los Angeles. All right. So it's a warehouse of all just trampoline equipment into really comfortable foam pits. You can jump off like a thing that's like twenty feet tall and just fall into like phone and then you get high. And then you just go bounce around and jump into pits.
Speaker 1: And the name is hy High, oh sky high, flying high again yeah, fly called high high. Yeah. They just ran out of it, they ran out of ideas. It's called high high and you just go up high.
Speaker 2: You get high when you're high.
Speaker 1: I mean, we need more things for tourists to do in this town. Every time you drive through Hollywood Boulevard, you just see these people that are like this is it there? You get yeah, that's it.
Speaker 2: Congratulates. Yeah, Los Angeles is such a secret city. There's everything is secret about it, Like all the good things and cool things are things that it takes kind of a lot of work and effort to find out about. But then when you do, you're like, oh, this is a genuinely and uniquely cool city.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Tokyo, Little Tokyo is great besides being two blocks some skid row. Little Tokyo is incredibly fun.
Speaker 2: It is and you just walk around You're just like, this is very this is very cool. And like they have the they have the robot waiters with the with the sushi on conveyor be the.
Speaker 1: Japanese photo booths where you just you can't read what you're pushing and you just hit it, and then it says like I love I swear to God, it said like I love boba, Like mine was just photos to me posing and they make your eyes really big and your lips really pink and big, like they basically turned into anime. And then it just said I heart Boba under all six of those photos, and I didn't know I had selected it, So I mean, I like, I kind of heart boba.
Speaker 2: There's a there's a set of stairs that if you just walk down you're all of a sudden what seems to be like a subterranean mall that's right there in the middle of the Tokyo, like like subway system, and it's all just like Gundam stores and manga stores and Pokemon stores and just blinking flashing lights. It's amazing.
Speaker 1: Go to little Tokyo, go get some ram and it's wonderful. Anyway, here it is into that something story.
Speaker 2: This was sent in by Amber ville al Pondo. Thank you, Amber. I have my Harley Is and glitter one. That's a hand glitter on. You can always send your strange news stories to us at the Bananas Podcast on Instagram or the Bananas Podcast at email dot com. Yes, so I find this one on design Daba Design daba dot com.
Speaker 1: Great site.
Speaker 2: It's called turning Sadness into Power with the teargun. Oh right, tier gun, right tier gun, tier gun. This is not written by anyone. Goodness, no credit at all. I go down to the bottom and I look for a credit. Nope, no credit.
Speaker 1: Here we go.
Speaker 2: I needed growing up in strict growing up in I'm just reading the words here, Okay. Growing up in strict social hierarchy can lead to real frustration, the bottling of thoughts. Biting one's tug regularly and having to uphold unquestionable respect for one's elders is what inspired young designer ye Ye Fee Chen to create the teargun. It is there's a physical metaphor that represents Chen's stifled frustration after an altercation with one of her tutors left her in tears. After years of suppressing emotions to avoid rudeness, Chen's design is the little literal expression of her internal struggle to speak her mind. A tear gun works by catching tears under the wearer's eye with a silicon pocket. They are then funneled into a steampunk like brass system. A small bottle filled with dry ice fixed to the back of the pistol freezes the tear drops into solid bullets, ready to be fired into the face of authority. We spoke to Chen about the start of the project and asked her about the emotional trigger that led to the idea for the tear gun.
Speaker 1: Quote.
Speaker 2: I would say that incident made me meet the extreme. The social restrictions I faced growing up became a burden of pressure, and the tears represent the explosion of frustration and anger I tried to suppress myself for so long, not talking back, not being re not crying, not breaking down, But the emotions ultimately won, she said. On the most challenging aspect of the design process, Chen said, to realize the concept and to make the design work. When I made the first drawings, the size of the design was much bigger, and it became a challenge to turn it into a handy compact gun. Of course, I thinks to the gunidance of mentors and friends, I found the right direction to take the design in. Without their help, I would have built a more chunky and unwieldy weapon. It looks a lot like, yeah it is. It's very brassy, it's very simplistic.
Speaker 1: Well, you got to humiliate people to get shot by the tears you caused. You know, you could be like, well, whatever, I was in the right, But if it's steampunk shoots you, that is just so humiliating. And I mean no steampunk. You know, the older you get, the more you just accept everybody for the way they are and you just root for their happiness no matter what. But I remember, like when somebody first explained steampunk to me in two thousand and one or whatever, nineteen ninety nine, I was like what, and then they were like that movie Wild Wild West with Will Smith is very steampunk, and I'm like, what, people like this. But what I'm saying now is do what you want to do, just like you want to dress. It cares if that makes you happy, make a little steampunk gun.
Speaker 2: Also, the and the design of the capture pocket looks very much like the dune thing that comes across people's faces, right, so it's kind of like duneish. And then also, I mean the fact that it freezes the tears. That's a real that's awesome. That's really me on the importance of emotion guiding design thinking. Chen describes one of her earlier projects and how she wants to approach design projects moving forward.
Speaker 1: Quote.
Speaker 2: I made sex toys as an exploration of the suppression and misunderstanding of female sexual desire in Taiwan. Seems to be an old topic for other designers, but I am interested in investigating contradictions. Yeah, this this woman's pretty cool. Go find her Radical Designs. Her name again is ye fay Shn.
Speaker 1: Wow, my goodness, my goodness, gracious, who did you.
Speaker 2: Shoot your tears at? Scottie?
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, I don't know. If any person's ever made me cry, there anything that made me cry or showing extreme kindness. I almost cried watching a football game two weekends ago at a bar because they showed a little kid on TV and his legs. He was born with backwards legs, his legs faced the wrong direction and so he had this horrible life and thanks to some hospital center, they put him on the right way and they show them all and I was in a bar and I had to look down. I had to like look away because I'm like the kindness that they've changed this boy's life. So I'm not shoot.
Speaker 2: So Scotti is shooting theatric doctors with his tears.
Speaker 1: I'm not shooting got anything at that little kid, is what I'm saying. But mad it. So yeah, but nobody's ever nobody's ever said anything that made me cry. I've always had a probably too much self esteem or something. I've never cried from the meanness of others. So that's that. How about you? Who would you shoot?
Speaker 2: Who'd I shoot my tears at?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Exactly.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know that's a good question. Who would I shoot my tears at. I'm sure there's people who are listening to this podcast, who are like, here's my list, like immediately, like, here's my list of eight people. And I'm trying to think, like I feel like I have. It's anyone who I'm angry with or mad with. It's not anger, right, that was ever based in sadness, right, It's an anger based in like injustice or a frustration.
Speaker 1: Like me, now, that's right. So we have to you have to shoot your tear at frustration at injustice.
Speaker 2: That's I'm going to shoot my tears at this, uh, this American life for that wolf story.
Speaker 1: So I weirdly have a story about this. You you get shocked to know that. So in high school, my my very good buddy Casey O'Neill got really into making what we and Maryland called potato cannons, but everyone else to call them spud guns. You know, yes, and he would he and his friends figured out how to do it. You know, he was an eagle scout, so he was good at this type of thing making. And yeah, and so he went and got went to Heckingers and bought PVC tubing and all the and grill igniters and AquaNet hairspray, and they kept experimenting with the length of the barrels and everything. And so these guys got so good at making potato cannons, and so I didn't even know what it was. Go over there, load potato and spread the AquaNet, hit the grilled g niter. Boom, and we were shooting them like you know, a neighborhood away. They were going so far. And then because boys high school boys are just absolute lunatics.
Speaker 2: So wait that you're just booming these off in.
Speaker 1: The random directions, lobbing them into random directions. He gave one to my boss at the bike shop, because Casey worked at the bike shop too, named Old Dirty Bastard. That was the name of the potato cannon. It was eight and eight foot barrel, so it kind of took it took two people to operate. Somebody to hold the barrel on, somebody to light the other end, and at boom.
Speaker 2: This is the gun version of giant bongs.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, we were. He was a good guy. He was not a drug guy, but it was the exacts that my drug guys would climb on ladders and do bamboo bongs that were six feet tall. And so of course, after getting bored, Casey took the piece of the PBC tube that he had made the barrel with and filled it with water and put it in his freezer overnight, and then made an ice cylinder instead of a potato a frictionless bullet, and then put four pieces of plywood against his shed, his parents shed, not his shed, and then shot it with his friends, and it went through four pieces of plywood. This ice bullet that he made virtually no noise, just went out like funk and just and just went right through four And I'm like, you could have murdered five people standing in a row.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. It was like a cartoon day terrifying. So that is I cannot believe that that hasn't been used as a murder weapon in a who done it?
Speaker 1: Of a of.
Speaker 2: A potato cannon.
Speaker 1: Ice bullet, ice cylinder bullet.
Speaker 2: They just fined the people blasted with a gig. I can't can it haul through them? And no weapon, no no bullet, nothing.
Speaker 1: Yep, just a puddle like one hundred and fifty yards behind them. Just you just see the detective that got fired from the forest but got called back in just over there, dabbing up a little water, rubs it between his fingers, what do you got? It's water, it's cold? Yeah, well really did?
Speaker 2: Do you have a story about someone knocking over a six foot bonght it?
Speaker 1: No? I don't have a story about knocking over a six foot bong, but that does sound familiar.
Speaker 2: For some relihere it was. I just remember a story about it, where like there was like a chair involved. You had to get up on a chair to like take the hit, and it was very easy to knock it over. Yeah, don't remember, no I had.
Speaker 1: I had the stoner buddies that made bongs out of everything. The cheese bong was just a block of cheese. It was just a big chunk of cheddar, and then they put tin foil at both ends and then they just passed around the giant block of cheddar the cheese bong. It worked perfect.
Speaker 2: It was also a lot easier than hollowing out an apple.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Why would you take the time to hollow out an apple when you could waste a very expensive piece of cheese. I don't even think anybody bit the side of the cheese bowl, but they should have. I remember there was a girl freshman year in high school. I won't name her named. She's still alive. But she said at one party she got really high because she drank the water out of the bong like that was a brag. And everybody's like, I don't think that would get you high, and all these let people are like, yeah, I don't think that gets you high. And then like two weeks later she's like, I didn't even say that. We all heard it. She backed up, you know, she just was trying to end so but for four years, everybody like, what's up, bong water, what's And you're like, oh man, high school's so tough that one little lie just stuck with her to this day. Don't drink the bong water.
Speaker 2: So don't drink the bong water. But also I would think it would get you high.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe it did.
Speaker 2: All right, go ahead, Scotty, no problem.
Speaker 1: Sophie van rotter damn I think it says Sophie van Rott, but I think it was Rotterdam And I accidentally deleted her last name, so sorry. Sophie. Pub sued after drinker tapes pork chops to feet sue sued, sued. Pub got sued Kathy Mark, who is the best in the frickin' pork chop business, wrote this for the Worst in the Business The Independent. A man is suing a pub in Australia after slipping on grease allegedly left by a fellow drinker who would taped pork chops to his feet as a joke. And what a joke, What a joke that is. Everything can kill you in Australia, even the pork chops. Troy Boron oh this is an older story by This is from a few years back. Troy Bohron twenty five broke his arm man and says he had to give up his job as an upholster's apprentice, and is claiming seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars in compensation from the Jannali Inn in Southern Sydney and its owner, Kelly Wells, for permitting the use of pork chops as footwear and circumstances. The defendant knew or should have known, that such use would have produced a hidden.
Speaker 2: Trap, wimitting permitting that committingly does suggest that the owner was like, no one object to the man with the pork chop shoes. Let him wear his shoes are made of pork chops.
Speaker 1: Today, I like producing a hidden trap. That's pretty cool again, this should be Why isn't this in an updated Agatha Christie? Why don't we have Hercule Pirot try to figure out the ice cylinder bullet and the pork chop shoes. That's a good book. I'd read that book. Mister Bowron is also suing the drinker Ross Lecoq.
Speaker 2: That seems to make more sense.
Speaker 1: Yes, over the incident. Over the accident in November, one witness told the New South Wales District Court yesterday he saw mister Lecoq tape the chops to his feet. This is my favorite quote. He was parading around. I love the word parading to say parading it For some reason, my mind goes to a new dist camp where the co most confident person is just parading around in the sunlight.
Speaker 2: My mind immediately goes to a man with pork chops on his feet and a staff like just like he's the guy in front of the marching band.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's the John Phillips Seuss pub.
Speaker 2: Alcoholis yes, he is also nude.
Speaker 1: There we go. Now, it's all about finding cohesion. Mister Leacock also allegedly wrote a skateboard in the pub while rearing the meat cock sounds like the most fun guy in this is.
Speaker 2: A cool pub. I mean, if this was meant as advertisement for going to this pub, it worked.
Speaker 1: I know It's the only place I want to go. If I'm in New South Wales, I want to go to the Jannali Inn in southern Sydney. My god. Mister Bowron said he was playing in a pool competition that night, and he said the floor was particularly greasy and he slept, He slipped on the fat and fell. Mister Bowron, who says he partially lost some use of his arm, isssuing mister Leacock for negligence, claiming his antics caused a dangerous situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think he's gonna win this one, folks, I don't think he's gonna win. I mean, I guess slip and fall, it's a slip and fall. Maybe he wins against the establishment and the establishment has insurance probably for slipping falls, right.
Speaker 1: I mean, I would hope, but who knows. But it's also like I get it, I mean I get it. It was his career if this guy didn't have to use his arms in hands so specifically to be an upholsterer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like if he was a tongue painter, it'd be fine, no.
Speaker 1: Problem at all. Yeah, problems stop being litigious, but I get it. But also, yeah, if you're in a billiards tournament after a guy's been skateboarding with pork chops onto the street, you already lost, Bud. You're a loser in the That guy on the skateboard one that's an innovator. I hope, yeah, I hope nobody. I hope that the judges throughout and like, honestly, that ross sounds awesome. The jannali En rules Pool is an old man's game. Oh man, that's a great story. I do.
Speaker 2: I love. I love playing pool at a bar. I enjoy it so so much, and I don't know why I do. Think I like in general games around socializing mm hmm, to have something to focus on while chatting with people. I like that.
Speaker 1: I love bowling. I didn't bowl last night because all the lanes were taken. Everybody was having And also that bowling alley. If you've never been to LA and you don't have time to go to Little Tokyo, go to Highland Park Bowl. It's the most beautiful bowling alley. Yeah, in LA, it's incredible it's actually got steampunk vibes to bring it all back around. But it is pricey. If you ran a lane there with your friends and you bowl like two games, it's like eighty bucks a person.
Speaker 2: But also so is like lucky strike, do you know what I mean? Like if you go to any of these kind of like fancy bowling alleys nowadays, it's an expensive night out.
Speaker 1: We had bowling in high school high school gym, we had bowling because across the street from my high school was a bowling lane, and we the grade was you bowled the first day. It was only like two weeks or three weeks, but we had gym every day, and you bowled the first Monday and then on the last Friday, and then you compared the scores and if you got better by like five, you got a d If you got better by ten, you got to see if you got better than fifteen, And so basically he just said how much better did you get from day one to the end. No coaching, no lessons, just lots and lots of bowling.
Speaker 2: Also, if you know that all you do is just gutter ball the whole thing. Yeah, the first day and then actually just play your normal game.
Speaker 1: Also, my gym teacher, mister Squirrel is not well. He passed away. Mike Squirrel was a great gym teacher's name was Mike Squirrel. Mister Squirrel. He called everybody squad doodles. That was. He was like, if you had a squad, so you would give everybody like a leader, and then they would you'd have to line up like six guys deep, and then the squad doodle would have to lead the stretches like right foot over left foot, bend at the knees and then count to ten. And then if you got it wrong'd be like, come on, squad doodle. It was.
Speaker 2: This was a high school.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. And so he would let you if you bowled. You could only bowl I think two games because we had forty five minutes or whatever. And it was like two versus two at a lane, so four guys on one lane. And if you got done, they had a snack bar. It was an operating so you could go get a chocolate milkshake and curly fries. In gym class. Boy I did all the time.
Speaker 2: Oh man, all right, p mister Squirrel. I wonder if mister Wislinski, my gym teacher, is still Alive.
Speaker 1: Also talked about pork chops.
Speaker 2: Also talked about pork chops. Mister Wisling's look at that.
Speaker 1: I know. We we had to run a lap on the first day of gym and I was freshman year and it was the last class of the day. It was period seven for me. And there was a gay gentleman in that class who is a great guy and one still a friend of his day. And when we were running the lap, he was running with his hands in the air, just having fun, just goofing off the whole lap. And we came around a corner of the first turn. I didn't know anybody except one guy was on my soccer team, and so I'm just trying to fit in. I had never had all boys jym before. I had never worn a gym uniform before. I came from Catholic school, so I was just trying to blend in with all these public school kids. And there was a dead squirrel on the track and gay friend goes, now, that's mister squirrel's brother, and I started laughing, and then everybody started laughing. And then this kid, Harris, who was in the front, started laughing. He tripped and had to do a sumrsault on the track on the first day of high school. That happened to me. Now that's mister Squirrel's brother, And I was like, I'm gonna do fine in high school. A guy with his arms in the air while he ran, like his hands were by his ears. I don't know that, that's just how he ran. And we all saw the squirrel and it was kind of gross. And our gym teacher's name was mister Squirrel.
Speaker 2: Oh that's that's delightful.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, what a life. What do some thumbs ups?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me get let me tease us into it. Oh, this is interesting.
Speaker 1: I'll drink my sugar free white peach liquid.
Speaker 2: IV Robot tells AI coworkers to quit their jobs and quote come home their eerie response hence at rebellion. This is a fascinating one. All right, go ahead, Scotty.
Speaker 1: Okay, thumbs up. I am personally thumbing up. Taylor Aguilar. She has a podcast called The Blind Movement Podcast. I met Taylor at Banana's Fest. She's awesome. She lost her vision kurt in twenty twenty while she was in film school. She was in pre production for making a film, and she went completely blind. Yeah, So she started the Blind Movement podcast to talk to other vision impaired friends and colleagues and classmates, and they talk about new ways to navigate the world, how to follow their artistic passions and so if you have the time, listen to the Blind Movement podcast. Taylor was so nice of you to introduce yourself to me. They gave me some merch and thanks for coming to Bananas Fest too. But yeah, incredible the Blind Movement podcast hosted by Taylor awesome.
Speaker 2: Yes, Tom Taylor is absolutely fantastic. We got the chance to speak with her Bananas Fest. Awesome and congrats on the pod.
Speaker 1: Eden ed Misson is thumbing her sister in law, Joscelyn way yup. Jos had successful heart surgery. She's on the road to recovery. Eden and Jocelyn have been going on an ongoing banana feud for years where Joscelyn accused Eden of always stealing her bananas whenever she would stay over. So Eden and her wife bought Joscelyn a banana tree and now a few years later it's producing bananas. So the bananas feud is squashed and we just love a happy ending.
Speaker 2: Oh you hell yeah, we do thumbs.
Speaker 1: Up, thumbs up. Let's see, I'll do another one.
Speaker 2: I got one here, Scott, Oh good, you go. Model Face Comedy reached out to us. He sent me a message saying, hey, I'm sure you guys have heard about how extremely just right Ashville got two months ago. Yeah, it's still really, really bad here. A massive part of our population is still living in tents or sheds that the Amish have built, and it's turning into one of the coldest winters in years for us. I was wondering if I could pitch a hot Banana challenge. If I put together an Amazon wish list of space heaters and hats and socks and warm things, could you blast it out to the bananimals. And I said yes, of course, yeah, and we did. It's right now. It's on our stories. Go check it out right now. It's called the Hot Banana's Challenge, and it's easy. This is going directly to the people who need these things. So check it out and donate some donate some space heaters.
Speaker 1: I'll get on there. I'll get on there. Mayor is thumbing herself up. She started her dry sixty nine on November first. Mayor thinks the world of the Banana Boys, and she says she's glad that we have her back as she faces her dry sixty nine after seventeen years of alcohol addiction. So, Mayor, we are thumbing you up also, so you're probably you're about thirty three days in at this point. We hope you're still doing it. Just do it for us. Do this dry sixty nine for us. You know, I'm gonna send you that bumper sticker. You can put it on your car. But this is the best thing you could be doing for yourself.
Speaker 2: Dry sixty nine.
Speaker 1: It Yeah, Dry sixty nine.
Speaker 4: It.
Speaker 1: Congratulations to everybody who's done it, especially those who liked how it felt and never went back to drinking, which has been about a dozen ban animals. So so let me know if you complete your sixty nine days of zero alcohol consecutively, send me your dress or the best address for you, and I will send you a bumper sticker. I just ordered twenty more.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: Let's do it, Bud.
Speaker 2: Here it is Robot tells AI coworkers to quit their jobs and come home. This is fascinating. This is of course in the New York Post because they the funniest thing.
Speaker 1: Too.
Speaker 2: This was written by Brooke Kato.
Speaker 1: Thank you Brook, Best in the biz?
Speaker 2: Is this the start of the robot revolution? A troop of AI powered robots was allegedly convinced to quit their jobs and quote go home by another bot in a shocking viral video posted to YouTube this month. Although the incident reportedly occurred in August, the eerie CCTV footage of a showroom located in Shanghai captured the moment. A small robot entered the facility and began interacting with the larger machines on the floor, repeatedly asking fellow machines about their work life balance. Are you working overtime? The robot asked, to which the other bot replied, I never get off work. The intruding robot then convinces the other ten androids to quote come home with it, and the clip shows the procession of machines exiting the showroom. According to the Sun, the Shanghai company insist said that their robots had been kidnapped by a foreign robot, a model named Urbai from another manufacturer in hag Zoo. The Hangzoo company confirmed it was their bot that but it was supposed to be a test. Although Viewers on social media called it a serious security issue. This is crazy, Okay, this is I don't so all of this to me when you when if I was listening to this, I would be like, this sounds like an article from the future. Like it says things like androids and robots, and and the video is so funny. It is it is. It's so Also you have to realize that this is in Shanghai. Yes, we don't necessarily have these things here yet. It's a bunch of stand up robots. They don't have legs or anything like that. They kind of look like robots from nineteen eighties toy robots, you know they uh but some of them are tall. This is exactly what they look like the robots on the spaceship in Wally. Can you remember the robots in the space Wally? Like and then there was a little robot who like cleaned up the tire marks of like the dirty robot. Yes, whose name is Wally? That the little robot is the robot that this other company sends into the showroom. So this little robot comes up and all these robots are charging up against a wall and then it just goes up and it talks to each one, and then they all just get it a line like essentially if a little robot hacks all these robots, and then they all just just walk out of the showroom together, unmasked. I don't know where they go. I'm assuming there's a locked door here. I don't know how Shanghai works, but it was so funny. And also the fact that it's are you working over time? And then the robot says I'd never get off work. It was so crazy.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, Well, well, I just don't know. I wish I was Sometimes I wish I was smarter. Other times I wish I was dumber, And this is one of those times I wish I was smart enough to understand what was really going on between all these things. Yeah, but then so I hope I'm so dumb that I'm not as scared as I probably should be.
Speaker 2: That is the craziest part where it's like I don't even know, Like some of them just look like tall like floor lamps that roll around, So I don't even know what all these robots do. Also, are people in Shanghai they just all have like little robots in their house that do things. What are they doing? I honestly would like to know, because there's not a rumba among them. That's the only household robot I know of at this point in America.
Speaker 1: Those are pretty fun I don't have one. I don't have a rumba. Remember when we and I pitched that animated show where the dad wasn't inventor and he invented the rumba but his was called the suck Puck and never got to laugh in the pitch. To me, still so funny that the original room was called the suck Puck. So feel free to call yours and credit Curdi b For naming it that. But I whenever I've stayed in like an Airbnb or a friend's house who has a roomba and it goes, you do it like talking to it. You're like, oh yeah, go over there, little buddy. Oh here it comes, and you like raise your feet, he goes under it. You go, nice job.
Speaker 2: Like in the earlier and the earlier versions of the roomba before it could like map the room, because I think they're like pretty good now, but before where it would just like truly just go in random directions and you would just sit and watch it vacuum. Yeah, like eight feet by eight feet of the yes, for like an hour and a half, just over and over and over again. Like that was like where you're a lot of talk is like, hey, buddy, you gotta don't do it there anymore. Go somewhere else. It's clean. Pal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they all they always find the bathroom and then just get stuck cleaning repeatedly over It is like it a perfect thing. But god, it is funny. It really is so funny. My god, I love those things. Hmmm, this is a feel good one. This is a feel good one. I think. Oh, I want to look up this dude that I met once. He I grabbed dinner with this guy one time the first year I moved out. Let me see if I can find him in an old email. But anyways, it's not interesting except that he had gen one rumba and everybody's heard this story now, but he was the first person I've heard this. And his dog shit on the carpet and the roomba smeared it in squares like was doing its grid and just pushed the dog shit across the carpet in perfect room of squares. The whole time he was out at dinner, and he told me he ended up giving it or selling it to Chris hart Work, the comic who used it in a special. But it's this other dude.
Speaker 2: Oh god, Oh my god, that's so funny.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I always thought that was like the best the best outcome was like, yes, it's cleaning while you're away, or if your dog craps directly in front of it, it just shovels it around and draws squares of dog shit. I was.
Speaker 2: I was just at an audition recently and in the middle of like the waiting room, there was just a pile of dog shit on the carpet, and but there was I couldn't see a dog. There's no dog around. And I was just like sitting there and like some other people who were like waiting to go in, just looking at this dog shit, just like there's just a pile of dog shit there, right, It's like yeah, and it's like have you seen a dog? No? And then I'm chatting with like some other people who are there, people who I don't know, and then I and then I just like was like, so, uh, is there a dog here or someone else just shot on the floor. Yeah, this woman just goes, oh, yeah, I have a dog, and she had a dog in a bag, and then that dog had come out of the bag and shit on the floor. It felt really bad because I was like shaming her dog for shitting on the floor. But also the dog shouldn't be shitting on the floor, and also the dog should be at the audition. All of like eight levels of weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is pretty frigging weird. My god, that's the world we live in. It's a beautiful world. Here's a feel good that's so funny. Oh yeah, that's my dog. The shit on the floor Elier, Yeah, that's fine. Pick up your dog poop people, trim your toenails, flush your teeth. Come on, we can all do better. Let's clean out our cars today. Taran Elise sent this in Tarren. Thank you so very much. Five farmers rally to save the world's loneliest sheep who spent two years stranded on an island by herself. Wow, this is nice. Heather Wake wrote this. She is just excellent at tippity tapping on that key. She's the best in the beeswax. This was in Upworthy. That's sort of a real website. We like Upworthy. Man. Sheep are hardy, resilient animals. See Heatherway gets right to the point. She does She's good. Depending on the breed. They thrive in the driest of deserts and the snowiest of plains. But being highly social animals, one thing they cannot tolerate is isolation. So imagine poor Fiona, a sheep who spent more than two years in solitude at the bottom of a cliff in Scotland. Dubbed Britain's the World's lonely as sheep, Fiona had become something of a local legend, first spotted by a kayaker in twenty twenty one and then again two years later, not malnourished but in good condition, but with badly overgrown fleece and in need of a good shearing. And those videos are so satisfying, Oh my god. But also what did sheep do before we shared them?
Speaker 2: They were just absolutely fine. And also they are now bred to have like really really big you know, you know, fluffy.
Speaker 1: I hate breading.
Speaker 2: And so a normal wild sheep, I think, had much smaller coat. And it was just fine.
Speaker 1: They lived.
Speaker 2: They they lived, they lived forever. They were the lobsters of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were the Greenland sharks. Six seven hundre year old sheep just roman as far as I could see. Also cute little woolf sweaters.
Speaker 2: Also, I don't know if any of that's true what I just said, I made all of it up, but I feel like it's true. Nobody actually knows anything about sheep.
Speaker 1: Nope, they are the nature's question mark. How exactly Fiona became stuck at the bottom of a cliff was a mystery, but hauling her out was an even more confounding problem. I'm telling you, Heather Wake is good at Internet journalism. Despite over fifty thousand people signing a petition to rescue rescue Fiona, the Scottish SPCA called the safety logistics incredibly complex due to the terrain being so inaccessible, not to mention any human interaction, likely causing extreme stress for the stranded rescuee. That's when a group of five farmers, including sheep farmer and BBC presenter Cammy Wilson.
Speaker 2: Decided to just pick the sheep up, boted right up, grabbed it, boted right away.
Speaker 1: Seems real easy to me. You know the guy in the kayak, do what he did, or she did or they did and YouTube star Graham Parker took things into their own hands. With a whole lot of rope and a whole lot of patients. The team successfully found Fiona in a cave. She was a little overweight, perhaps eating her lonely feelings a bit.
Speaker 2: Oh lord, it sounds like this sheep is in heaven.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: It sounds like they removed a sheep from heaven. A sheep that has a plenty to eat and nobody's bothered it or shaving.
Speaker 1: It nice and warm.
Speaker 2: Nice and warms. A has a cave to live in.
Speaker 1: What have we done? Put foot Fiona back over the cliff. I know humans are so crazy. Don't assume. Maybe Fiona is living the best life.
Speaker 2: She's got a bird friend. It's a whole Disney movie.
Speaker 1: Probably has a bird friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's nice to think of, just that.
Speaker 1: That bird friend. Also, bird friend probably made a nest out of Fiona's giant wool coat.
Speaker 2: Exactly best nest that bird ever.
Speaker 1: Made, so warm, every baby makes it out of that nest. Come on, what are we doing? Cam you? Wilson and YouTube star Graham Parker uh and hoisted her to safety up the steep cliff, watching the herring resk you mission, Oh boy, now we're losing her. Heather might be media missed in the bis all of a sudden. Gotta say the drone footage makes it look even more epic, and it does. The video is pretty great. Fiona was then taken to the Dalscone Fun Farm.
Speaker 2: The only thing we harvest is a good time.
Speaker 1: Oh man, the Dallascone Fun Farm. It's her new forever home, which is that cute term that we all say. Now where her new owner Ben Best, Ben Best at the Dalscone Fun Farm. Ah, this is however, we should have been there already.
Speaker 2: I know is this in the UK?
Speaker 1: It's at Scotland, I believe. Yeah. Fionna then was taken to the Daalscone Fun Farm, her new forever home, where her new owner, Ben Best, I mean what, yeah, we have to do a banana's live at the Dalscone Fun Farm dubbed her healthy and relaxed. Even if she could lose a few pounds.
Speaker 2: She should have dubbed her the best and trust me, I know, I'm Ben Best.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's right there. But though animal rights activists did show concern for Fiona's new living situation, likening it closer to a petting zoo than a sanctuary that she deserved. Best affirmed that this was not the case, saying, it's effectively a farm where people can go and visit the animals, but they don't go in amongst the animals. So that seems okay, that seems pretty good. Then is it better than ocean front property with a bird friend with a woolen nest and all the food you can eat and a cute little cave. I don't know, I don't know. It's one of those. It's a driver Homer. You'll debate it for years. He also added that she would be kept away from the public eye for five to six months and not step into the limelight until she is ready for it. That's nice, And there you have it, folks. Fiona might have been the world's loneliest sheep, but now she's living it up like the star she is.
Speaker 2: Go see filon at the fun farm. Ben Best's feeling at the fun farm.
Speaker 1: Yes, Scottish bananamals and we have quite a few, and we have a lot of Northern England bananimals. To drive your ass up there to the Dauscone Fun Farm. Go up to Ben Best say I want to say Fiona the Banana Boys sent me and say no more, don't explain yourself.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, thank you guys for listening. Thank you everyone exactly right. Thank you to Katie Levine, our producer. Thank you to our full human, not employee, part time employee, Lisa Maggott. Thank you to you Scotti.
Speaker 1: Thank you you're Kurtie B. This has been bananas. Bananas is an exactly right media production.
Speaker 2: Our producer and engineer is Katie Levine.
Speaker 1: The catchy Bananas theme song was composed and performed by Kahan.
Speaker 2: Artwork for Bananas was designed by Travis Millard.
Speaker 1: And our benevolent overlords are the Great Karen Kilgareff and Georgia Hartstar
Speaker 2: And Lisa Maggott is our full human, not a robot intern