Speaker 1: Also media Welcome to it could Happen Here, a podcast in which my friend Kim Kelly and I talk about the fact that Zoom recently moved to the record button, which most people will need at some point, given how prominent this is with podcasting, to replace it with an AI companion button, which I refuse to use and would would would deploy violence against anyone who tried to make me. How are you doing to day, Cam?
Speaker 2: I am good, also hating our AI soon to be overlords. Yeah yeah, doing my best out here in Philadelphia?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, Philly? How is how is Philly? As the as the fall comes in.
Speaker 2: It's it's a very sunny day. It's also getting chilly. I'm into it. It's finally leather weather. I mean, I guess it's always leather weather, depending on your level of commitment, but I am, yeah, was and it's I tend to wait for, you know, the weather to tell me when it's time to break out my leather.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, you know, I feel like all all things are fine personally. You should just assume listeners that I am always head to toe leather. But anyway, Oh yeah, Katy is on. He looks resplendent, yeah, Kim, you are a labor journalist. You published a book what was it last year, year before last, called fight Like Hell yea yeah, about about the history of the labor movement and some radical moments people ought to know more about. And you and I are talking today about labor, particularly about the possibility of a general strike. Now if you the listener have somehow missed this discourse. In short, a general strike is when instead of one union of workers from one industry striking, everybody strikes at least, you know, a very significant chunk of the labor force strikes. And this is you know, it's the kind of thing people on the left have dreamed about four years as like this is what could you know, turn things around, reduce income inequality, force action on climate change, the military industrial complex, and kind of as a result, you've had feels like every year for the last few years since people started reading about general strikes, which have occurred in a number of places and times, there's these like someone will get on Twitter and be like, we're all doing a general strike in two weeks, you know, everybody get ready, and folks will be like, that's not really how you do a general strike, and they'll go like, well, if you weren't saying it's not, it could happen.
Speaker 2: You know, you've got to believe.
Speaker 1: In it first, which is all of this is wrong. But the good news is there's an actual plan that is cohesive and potentially achievable for a general strike that's been put forward by someone who knows what he's talking about. We're going to talk about that, but first, Kim, do you want to talk about why trying to get everyone on Twitter to launch a gineral strike in eight days is a bad idea?
Speaker 2: This is such a pent peeve among well, I guess a lot of folks in the labor world who are also unfortunately on Twitter and social media that yeah, like you said, every so often there'll be a general strike hashtag or like a graphic on Twitter or on Instagram, and it's like, are you taking part of the general strike? Like are you striking on Friday or like tomorrow? Like no, what, You're not even in a union? What are you talking about? And it's like I love the energy, I love the vibe, you know, I love the idea of a general strike. I think it would be incredible if we actually pulled it off. But the biggest thing in there is the if followed by the pulled it off part. And one of the biggest misconceptions I think is that a general strike is akin to a big protest. Like you can absolutely plan a big protest in a few days if you really want to. I mean, look at the incredible work that Jewish Force for Piece has been doing in New York and other places. They're going to be doing in Philly this week. I mean, it is possible to build on existing relationships and networks to create a big fucking deal of a protest. But a general strike is a different beast. It is a specific thing. It has a definition. A general strike, as you said, is when workers across various industries go on strike at the same time, and that is not the same as filling the streets for a protest. It would be sick if we can kind of meld those movements like the radical radical organizers who are already in community, already building protests infrastructure, and people in union labor world that are kind of beholden to contracts and more legal constraints. But it's going to take a little bit of time. It's going to take some dialogue, maybe even some fruitful discourse to get on the same page. Like they're like, there are laws. We live in a society, unfortunately, and it's it's not quite as simple as just declaring a general strike when you're like, for your friends call out sick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's also like, I think one thing that gets lost is when you're going on strike. For a lot of people, that's not just I have to figure out what to do with money, and it's certainly not you know, while I can just go and be on unemployment or something, because you don't really get that when you're striking. You've got a lot of people with like families, and so the idea that like you get some podcaster right being like everybody should just not show up, Well, I don't know, man. There's people who got kids. They have other responsibilities than being a part of your revolution. Which is not to say that I don't think I Like, again, we're about to talk about an achievable plan for a general strike, but one of the reasons why you can't can't pull it off in a couple of days is that you have to set you have to have some sort of plan for how you're going to take care of the people striking, right, like so they don't starve and shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is one of the biggest things, I would say, arguably the biggest thing. But also if you're in a union and you go on strike as part of you know, broken down contract negotiations are part of the life cycle of a union contract. You have legal protections. You can't just be fired if you take part in one of these kind of impromptu hashtag general strike actions. Your boss is just gonna fire you, yeah, and then like you're done. You don't have any protections there, Like one of the reasons that and I know it's not as much fun. It's just going out and saying fuck it and bring it all down. Trust me, I would love to see that type of shit, but unfortunately, again we live constrained by laws and like logic when it comes like the reason that you see big labor strikes and big picket lines and all this cool stuff that's happening, like there is part of a process. Those unions are negotiating contracts, these legally binding documents. They're collective bargaining agreements that have expiration dates. You know, the UAW didn't just pick you didn't just say all right, right, now we're mad, we're going to go on strike. Like no, their previous agreements had expiration date. They hit the expiration date, so they start bargaining again. Bargaining didn't go well, they went on strike. That is how it works when you're in a union. That's like just part and parcel of the push and pool of leverage that workers have against the boss. And it's like a century's old system, Like there's laws, there's protections, there's a lot that goes into it. And I think we're saying before we hopped on the call officially, like I think a lot of people haven't had union jobs or didn't don't have a deep understanding of unions and how they work. So of course they wouldn't necessarily know when the expiration dating is for this contract or what goes into bargaining union contract. But there's there's a lot of moving parts.
Speaker 1: Yes might they might not know that, as we're about to talk about, you can't just have a bunch of union leaders decide we're all going to go on strike at once. Sympathy strikes are very much not legal. Now there is a way to get multiple We should just talk about like why we're doing this, which is that. So there's this fella who so far has seems like a pretty pretty head out screwed on straight solid dude, Sean Fain, who is Big Sean, Yeah, Big Sean. And he's like the he's the he's the head of the u a W. Right or he's like the guy negotiating for the ua W.
Speaker 2: No, he's the president, Yeah.
Speaker 1: The president, and he is Sean Is. So he's you know, the UAW is the big one of the big otto like the largest of the auto worker like related unions, and they have been in a strike I think primarily General Motors.
Speaker 2: It's the big three General Motors, Ford as Stelanis which makes Chrysler, and a couple of other brands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they they have gone on a very power about six weeks or so, very significant strike. You can read stuff like Toyota recently like put out a proposal for like giving workers raises that's in line with like the union of like they are scared and it looks like like as I mean this is they haven't inked anything yet, but as of us recording this, it looks like they've won on a lot, which is great. And Sean is is not just a you know, a union man, but is very much a t talking blatantly about the class war of the rich against everybody else that's occurring in this country. And he made some statements about two days before we recorded this where he was like, I think, you know what, we need to be setting the date, the expiration date for our contract in twenty twenty eight, and I want to implore all other you know, unions that are negotiating and can do this, to set that with their next contract expiration date, so that in twenty twenty eight we have the option to do a general strike in order to redress some of this, to make inequalities as a result of this war of the billionaires against everybody else. Very much framed it in those kind of stark terms, and you know, we're going to talk about why. But I think that's a workable plan potentially.
Speaker 2: It really is. It's incredible. Honestly, this is kind of I think this is one of the ballsiest things we've heard from a mainstream labor leader since well since Sarah Nelson, the president of the Flight Attendants Union, kind of soft called for a general strike or at least brought up the idea of a general strike in twenty nineteen, and they're doing that.
Speaker 1: I've forgotten that stopped a government shutdown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, like, the general strike is a very powerful tool, and we've done it before, you know. I think the most recent true general strike we saw this country was like nineteen nineteen in Seattle. Yea, so it's been a minute. But the genius of this plan is the fact that it's illegal. And I mean, of course, you know, laws aren't real, but when you're doing this kind of thing and operating within these constraints, it is helpful when you're not actively breaking the law, because that helps you get more shit done. Right, So what Sean is proposing is saying, Okay, we're gonna set our contract to expire around this time, and we want a whole bunch of other big ingers to do the same thing. Now, if all of their union contracts happen to expire around the same time, and then their negotiations happen to break down and they happen to go on strike at the same time, creating an actual general strike, the government can't really do shit about it. I mean, you mentioned before the sympathy strikes, solidarity strikes. They are illegal because of this nineteen forty seven law called out the taff Hartley Act. Essentially, that means if say you're your warehouse, you're part of the teamsers, you go on strike, and then the coffee shop next door is like, oh, yeah, we support you, We're going to go on strike too. They can't do that, that's breaking the law. But in this different hypothetical, if they their contract was up at the same time as your contract, you both want to strike at the same time, that's legal, and it's also very disruptive to that little corridor you're working in. And imagine doing that on a national level. Imagine if the flight attendants, the teamsters, the UAW, Starbucks fucking the air traffic controllers, the longshoreman, like all of these incredibly important infrastructure wise jobs happened to go on strike at the same time. That would shut down the whole fucking country. Yeah, and it would be legal, which is so fun. I'd love to see it.
Speaker 1: You know. Obviously, when you are talking about radical social change, illegality is always on the table, but it's not the smartest place to start from when you're talking about something like this where you have the option to get a lot done, you know, within within the protection of the law, which makes it easier to get more people on board. It makes it easier to get critical mass. And if at a later date, you know, the state were to take a legal action that makes it impossible for you to continue legally, well, then you've got that critical mass behind you and potentially probably radicalized, you know.
Speaker 2: Right, And you have resources, you have infrastructure, because big unions have big striketh funds. Yes, this is the thing that UAW has hundreds of millions of dollars in the bank that they're saving for just this purpose when their workers go on striketh, so they can continue to pay them and cover their health insurance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why you pay dues, right, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's literally like strike insurance. And a lot of the big unions have this set up. They have comms teams, they have legal teams, they have experience like I known as radicals, Like we tend to be perhaps a little allergic to a lot of those things, especially if they're not particularly in line with our specific vision of the few, but they're really helpful to have, you know, Like, doing crimes is fun and I support it pretty much at all times. But getting shit done is way more fun and way more satisfying.
Speaker 1: You know, it's nice to win.
Speaker 2: It's nice to win.
Speaker 1: Unions are kind of on a role right now, right there. We've all watched some really substantial gains for working people just in the last six months, and it's worth paying attention to why. And part of it is that, like, you're not relying upon people risking everything, many of whom can't write. You can't very easily ethically defend if you are like a single parent who is responsible for multiple children. You can't defend going out and busting a bunch of windows and then getting locked up super easy, because you do you have responsibilities. You've got people to care for, you.
Speaker 2: Know, right you have elders at home, if you're or if you're a disabled person, if you're meding a compromise, you you can't go out there and get involved in that type of situation.
Speaker 1: You can't risk being around that many people. Maybe, but you can strike. Yeah, yeah, this is that.
Speaker 2: You can respect a picket line, You can help support, you can help offer some of the resources we need for folks to get out there, like utilizing this existing infrastructure, in these existing resources. It just opens up the possibility for more people to get involved in a way that's less harmful to them, to the people like we want to harm the bosses, and you know the status quote, we don't want to hurt our people.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I think there's a lot of wisdom in this. Now. The question is when we say that this is workable, does that mean that like it's a guarantee or it would be easy? Of course not. No, like you're talking you're still talking about a struggle against people who have I don't know the majority of the resources the human race has ever marshalled in like a financial form right at their beck in call. So that's you know, this is still a frightening and potentially pretty dangerous thing, but it is a workable plan that has infrastructure behind it, and that crucially, you know, the downside is that the bosses know that people are talking about this and they have time to prepare. But the nice side is that like, well so do we, and that's generally positive.
Speaker 2: This is the thing I've seen again on social media people saying like, oh, we have to wait five years, we have to wait four and a half years. That's ridiculous. Why don't we just do it now. You can do a lot of planning and a lot of building in four and a half years. You need that time to actually pull something off of this magnitude. And also, I mean a lot of unions that perhaps might be interested in this, like they have contracts of their own that we need. They need to sort of work out the timing for you know, this plan only works if we can actually maneuver away for a lot of these big contracts that big powerful unions to expire at the same time, if someone's contract, if the team SERTs, next contract expires in twenty twenty seven, like okay, I think they're not gonna be able to play ball, and you really want the teamsters if you want to play this type of game. And then another hurdle that I think it's it's unfortunate is that you know Sean Fame, Big Sean A what a man. He's very out there and very outspoken about opposing capitalism, about this being class war. He's on the level, but he is a rarity among major labor union leaders. Like there are some leaders that would be down to clown, you know, like Sarah Nelson's out here, like Mark Diamondstein with the postal workers. Like there are some very cool, very progressive, if not radical union leaders out there, but there's also a lot of conservative or just of wishy washy Democrats style union leaders too that would not want to have any part of this, and a big part of convincing them to get on the level and become involved in this kind of effort that's going to come down to what the rank and file have to say. That's going to come that that pressure is going to have to come up through the ranks. I mean, the reason we have Sean Fain and we have Sean ol brien and the Teamsters, and we have this kind of newer wave of more progressive mills that union leadership is because of what the rank and file have done, Like Teamster's for Democratic Union organized for years to get that reform slaid in, to get Sean O'Brien in there to take on ups. Sean Fayne is the first ever democratically elected union leader in uaw's history because of a lot of organizing around reform that came from the rank and file that took years to get him there. We would not have Big Sean if people had not invested years of their life towards organizing for this goal. And so now we have this four to five year span where we can push our own union leaders in that right direction to plant those seeds, to try and really build something that they can't refuse to get on board with. But that's going to take time too. I think people need to really recognize that, like, unions are not unfortunately they're all like these magical progressive silver bullets, Like there are no previ shitty people in union leadership across the country, and we got to do something about if we really want to get people on board.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's there's you know, upsides and downsides when we compare it to like sort of how radicals like to particularly the anarchist radical organizing, where you know, the downside is you do these are organizations that are hierarchical. They can be stratified. It can make it very difficult to push for change. It can make them Just as our democracy is not super responsive to what the majority people want, union leadership in a number of cases is not responsive to what people want. They've also had, especially if you go back to like you know, the mid century, last century not short history of corruption, right, that's been a problem you needs have dealt with in the past. Two These are issues you don't have as much with autonomously organized you know, small groups of activists on the street. The thing that makes them a lot stronger in many ways is the fact that they have more resources to marshall. They have ways of addressing grievances other than like kind of just personal conflicts that are built into the system, and ways of kind of pushing for change that if you get enough people on board with you can make And then you have the weight of this organization with a degree of power and social cachet behind it, And so I think the ability it's much harder to steer these things, but when you get them pointed in the right direction, they have more daying power than kind of small autonomous groups usually do. And I think there's a lot of potential power in that, which is why I think this is a workable plan.
Speaker 2: And this is why more anarchists and socialist and communists, everybody who wants to really get out there and cause some good trouble will say, like, you need to get involved in your union, You need to organize your workplace. If your job is not such that you can join a traditional union. You need to get involved in your local labor community anyway and try and connect with people who are part of those unions and try and kind of get them to see the light. You need to talk to people not online in person. You got to go talk to people who are different from me, who might have different politics, and try and get them to see why this is something that we could do that could help them, that could help everyone. This is something I emphasize a lot because I'm like, I'm an anarchist too, even though i know it's not like a big old Debbie downer right now talking about all this legal stuff. But I'm also practical and I've also spent a lot of time talking to union members who see the world a lot differently from me. Like I think a lot of my most recent impactful work is, you know, stuff I've been doing in the Deep South and an Appalachia, and no one there is impressed with my guillotine tattoos, but they do see the need to deal with this situation where all the rich people have all the stuff and they're getting screwed. That is a good starting point for a lot. Yeah, and it's yeah, it's easy to say join a union, Like, not everyone can do that, but everybody can find a way to talk to somebody who's connected to a union, who's part of a labor movement, part of a labor organization, Like we need everyone to get involved however they can.
Speaker 1: I want to note it's significant potential for the radicals are kind of radicals to be useful within this in a direct way. From just a recent example. Right in Portland, the teachers are going on strike. I believe that has happened today, and they had a big march not too long ago that some of my friends were at because they're teachers. And one of the things that happened on that march it was the same day as a Palestinian solidarity march. And at both of these marches that had large thousands of people, the corkers and the security were all kind of the same folks, and they were all folks that were like came out of the Portland radical scene. We're there in the twenty twenty protests a huge because corking, if you're not aware, is like going ahead of into the sides of a protest, like close traffic briefly as people walk by, so folks don't get hit by cars. It's a safety thing, right, and so people were kind of like the people who were doing that are radicals. Our members of generally like these autonomously organized groups who are very useful in helping these because you know, people have experienced, you know, unions, there may be experience striking, but a lot of unions haven't struck in a long time, right, because it doesn't happen all that often. And even if they have, most of these guys, especially these older guys and ladies and other folks, these these older union members probably have not participated in a large march in the modern era of protests where there's dangers like getting rammed by cars and stuff. And so the people who have these the straight medics and stuff, who have that kind of experience hugely useful. Not the only thing. People who are striking often need stuff handwarmers or are always appreciated water warm food, things that like keep people's morale up, organizing like sympathy demonstrations like alongside strikers, and whatnot to help them keep their numbers up. All of that stuff can be really useful ways for these autonomously organized, kind of smaller groups of radicals to participate in a meaningful way in something like this. That's not the only degree to which that's possible, but like, those are just the examples that come to mind.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, we've talked a lot about legality, and illegality is also something that is very much a part of labor history and it's present, and I would say it's future folks who are perhaps more comfortable with getting into perhaps more confrontational moments with cops who are trying to mess with the picket line, or scabs who are trying to be violent towards striking workers, or even just like you said, like surveillance and safety and medic work like that is all that is all important too. I mean not every I've been on some pretty wild picket lines, and not everyone there is really that concerned with what the law has to say about certain things. Once things get a little heated, I mean there are points, I mean and things I've covered and we've seen this continue to happen where people try and drive into the picket line and or trying to attack people in the picket line. Yeah, that is I mean, that deserves a variety of responses, I think. And also something to note is that when when these are strikes called by union leadership, they follow They tend to follow a set of rules because predominantly, like like generally speaking, union leadership doesn't want their members to go to jail. They don't want them to get in any kind of situations like that. So they'll say, you know, okay, well you stay on the sidewalk, or oh the cops said to move, so we move, or this has to be non violent, or you know, there's there's kind of a set of circumstances there that union members are required to follow. But if you're there to support and you're not a member of that union, as long as you have the consent and support the people there you're you're there trying to stick up for, then you have a lot more leeway than someone that has, you know, a union leader to answer to. Like, there's a lot of creative ways you can get involved. And one thing that I think hasn't really been discussed as much in like the online discourse or whatever, but I think it's important to think about even if you're not a person who is able to participate in that on the street type of way, if there's a huge strike going on in your city and you're not part of a union, but you want to get involved. Sickouts have a very long, illustrious history in a labor movement. If you happen to get sick that day, what's your boss going to do? You know, assuming you have those kind of protections. If you don't, then you have to make your own you know, caveat, caveat, caveat. But if you're in a position where you can take off work that day or for a couple of days, and it just happens to coincide with that massive strike that's shut down everything else, And if you convince all your coworkers that you're a shocked to do the same thing, you're not breaking the law. You're protected, but you're also part of the shutdown effort. Like sickouts. One of the reasons that people were so spoofed around twenty nineteen when the government shutdown was looming, before Sarah Nelson really brought out the big Gs wars that we're seeing sickouts at airports and flights are being canceled in New York and I think la and that was starting to spook the people in charge because if enough people don't show up for work at the airport. Nothing's going to happen at that airport. Yeah, And there are a lot of different workplaces where all of their workers not showing up could be a potential problem. So I just encourage people to think creatively about the ways they can get involved, even if they can't necessarily like get involved on the formal union side. Like, there's so much we can do from each according to his ability to each, courting to his means. You know that, I'll chestnut.
Speaker 1: I love. It's so important to bring up airline workers because one of the things they the things that they have that other people don't, is they can't be replaced in the same way. Right you can if all you, Maurice, is go on strike, you can potentially bring in whoever and they will not be nearly as good at it, right, the company will not make nearly as much money. But legally there's nothing stack them from doing that. If you have a bunch of ground workers call in, right, or a bunch of stewardesses, you have to replace them with people who are qualified groundworkers. Like there's a whole process, there's like a serial Like there's a lot that they have to know how to do, a lot of compliance that has to be done because thousands and thousands of lives are at stake, right, same thing with medical workers. Right when when you've got a job where like they can't if like a bunch of nurses go on strike, well you have to replace them with nurses, right, And there's a very limited supply, so there's a lot of leverage that these organizations have.
Speaker 2: The airline industry is incredibly densely unionized too, so if all of the union flight antendants aren't available, then no one's going to be available. Yeah, it's one of the plus sizes of having a very densely organized industry, which is why we need to keep organizing too in these next four and a half years.
Speaker 1: Well, Kim, I think that's most of what I had to say. Do you have anything else you wanted to get into on this topic before we roll out?
Speaker 2: Hmmm, I think we've covered most things. I do want to emphasize, Like I don't want to be a wet blanket on people who are excited. I'm not so excited and so heartened to see the amount of interest and energy we're seeing around this general strike idea, because like five years ago that would have I mean that would not have escaped containment, right, we would have just been talking amongst ourselves about it. But to have the head of a union who has four hundred thousand members, who just whipped the shit out of the Big three automakers, who's getting all these headlines to talk about a general strike in a meaningful way like, yes, maybe he's not out here throwing Molotov cocktails the way we perhaps would want to see someone doing that, But it still a huge deal. And even if you know, the mainstream organized labor movement isn't as radical as a lot of us within it would like to see it, we have a lot of time now to try and pull things in direction. I feel like a damn has burst in a way. And if anything, this is a moment of opportunity and of working together and trying to see different perspectives in a way that gets us all closer to the point we really need to be. Absolutely we take all this shit down, all right?
Speaker 1: I am in agreement, Kim. People should look up your book Fight like, hell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at the untold history of American labor?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and what else should they look up? R e U.
Speaker 2: I'm still unfortunately on Twitter, so I'm there, grim Kim. I know, I'm a freelancer. I read a lot for in these times. I have a column at teen Vogue, I write for a fast company, and I'm kind of all over the place so and I do a lot of book talks and stuff. So I'm I'm around. If you want to talk to your friendly neighborhood anarchist labor reporter, just to google me. But don't believe everything you read, because you know.
Speaker 1: She didn't kill that guy. He was dead when she got there. Anyway, Kim, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, thanks for being here, for showing up, and thank you all for listening until next time. Uh, I don't know. Yeah, yeah, that's that's a good that's a good one. It could happen here as a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can find sources for It could Happen Here, updated monthly at cool zonemedia dot com slash sources. Thanks for listening,