Speaker 1: I'm Matt Miller and I'm Hannah Elliott, and this is hot pursuit.
Speaker 2: I'm actually super excited today, Hannah, because I can tell by the shirt we have. Yes, I'm wearing my Grateful Dead tribute shirt. May eighth, nineteen seventy seven, the greatest show ever recorded. A lot of people would say at Barton Hall in Cornell, or maybe it wasn't recorded, maybe it was a CIA mind experiment. But anyway, I still listened to that concert over and over and over, you know, like thirty five years later since I started listening to Dead, and I hope that you at some point get a chance to listen to the Dead and Cornell.
Speaker 1: I think that I did. I spent a week in listening to random Grateful Dead songs, but in your honor, it didn't take. It really didn't take. But I need to try again.
Speaker 2: I think you would if you listen to this record, and especially on a road.
Speaker 1: Trip, from start to finish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then you would become a Dead fan. Okay, By the way, why were we talking about the Dixie Chicks? Why were we m.
Speaker 1: I don't know, uh, you you were singing wide open spaces.
Speaker 2: Ah, yeah, because I'm so happy to be back in America. Yes, that's why. So I spent last week in Spain, and obviously I love Spain. My wife is from Spain, my kids are half Spanish. The food is delicious, you know, prices are reasonable. I mean I got my daughter her first ever Manny petty and it was twenty euros.
Speaker 1: Good for her.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I was. I love Spain, but the parking spaces are so small that I had a Pugo five thousand and eight, you know, which is like a little sort of minivan suv combo.
Speaker 1: But em Manuel, I'm guessing.
Speaker 2: Yes, and thankfully that was an option. Thank you sixth the rental car company lets you choose. Yeah, and I really liked the car, you know, I got it because I have two girls in rear facing car seats in the back, and I knew we would be transporting beach gear and luggage and you know, it's not fast, but it was pretty intuitive and I thought it was good. But the door space, So this is my problem, not with the Pougeot but with Spain. And the parking spaces are so tight that when you pull up to your local car four or whatever it's called, and you pull into a space in between two cars. You cannot, or at least I can't, and I'm not that fat open my door with enough space to get in and out without brushing my whole body on the on the outside of the car, and I get dirty. And then try taking a baby in a car seat out of that small It's just impossible. You take everything out of the car before you park, then park, it squeeze out, you know. It's what are they thinking?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Conservative so in the in the US here, at least in Scarsdale, we have big parking space.
Speaker 1: I have to imagine when they made those parking spots, the cars were a lot smaller.
Speaker 2: That's what Yeah, my wife says that. Same with the roads, yep, I'm sure they have fantastic roads in Spain.
Speaker 1: This is why every automaker launch for the past two years has been there.
Speaker 2: They're amazing, really nice. I don't know if it's because of like the socialist government they need to give people jobs. They keep building the roads.
Speaker 1: The roads are did you get stuck behind like big trucks and stuff or no? No, See that's great, because I feel like that happens sometimes in like Germany and Switzerland. And stuff, but I never had that in Spain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I I had a lot of There are some roads that are limited for like environmental reasons, and like we were talking about before, they they track you when you enter and then when you leave and take your average and give you a ticket. So I don't know how many tickets I got yet, but probably many. Anyway, let's talk about a slightly higher end car. I want to talk about a range here. I loved the Pougo. I don't know that much about it, but it was satisfying. But I want to talk about a few The Aston Martin has a new vanquish out. I have actually seen it and I took my I took a twelve year old friend with me. They gave us a sneak preview.
Speaker 1: His twelve year old friend.
Speaker 2: I took my boss's boss's boss's boss's son to see. Like the deputy editor in chief at Bloomberg, his son was in the office as I was going off to the Aston Martin sneak preview and I was like, Hey, is your kid Boord, I'll take him to the new Aston Martin sneak preview And the kid was thrilled and he was quite good at sticking through the whole presentation without whining, asking good questions.
Speaker 1: He asked questions, Yeah we did, oh impressive.
Speaker 2: But anyway, I just saw it and they walked us through it, and it was I thought, you did it.
Speaker 1: Look markedly I mean I've seen photos, of course, did it look markedly different than previous Aston Martins of any variety?
Speaker 3: Not?
Speaker 1: I mean, if you see on the street, are you going to know instantly, yes, this is Theish?
Speaker 2: Straight away? You're gonna know not only will you know it's Nason Martin, but you'll know it is the flagship model.
Speaker 1: But will you'll know it's the Vanquish specifically.
Speaker 2: If you know tell it, if you know enough about Aston Martins, yes you'll know that, okay, or you'll think it's like what a dB twelve should be.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: I think it's amazing that they're still keeping the twelve cylinder. It is to be lauded. I spoke with Laurence Stroll, of course, the owner and chairman of Aston Martin, a few months ago, and he said, if they want to, they could even put a manual transmission in this thing, which I don't know.
Speaker 1: What was he implying. Is he hinting that they're going to no.
Speaker 2: He was saying, like we asked why not, and you know we've gotten you and I have gotten great answers, I think, yes, the best being from Mark Royce, who kind of admitted, look, it's a cost issue, like yes, Comali.
Speaker 1: I like that he was honest about it.
Speaker 2: Yes, he was straightforward. And Stroll maybe I don't know how incredibly hands on he is in terms of those things, but what Laurence Stroll wants, Laurence Stroll typically gets right. So if he decides he was telling us that he wants, or that customers demand it, and they'll buy enough a manuel in this or in the vantage which you drove in Spain, then they can do it now. I don't foresee that happening, but that's just what he said. You know.
Speaker 1: That's interesting because I think if they put it in, obviously it would sell right now. And it's interesting because I've been asking the same questions even during Pebble Beach with Ferrari executives, and I asked the same thing, you know, would you could you and they said, yeah, we could, and people would by and we'd make money. But we are deciding not to do that.
Speaker 2: That sounds a bill stop out.
Speaker 1: It was a deliberate decision. They also said their take rate on the California Manual was point zero one percent.
Speaker 2: But that's a California. I mean, I don't want to judge anybody, but here we go. You don't buy the California if you're really a car person, do you? The California is a car that you want to buy so that other people know that you're wealthy. Yeah, that's not a car that you buy because you love cars. Well, maybe is that fair?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: The reason I'd say this is because I've spent so much time on YouTube. You know, I'd love to have a Ferrari, and I don't have enough money to buy a new Ferrari, so I look at every possible affordable way to get a Ferrarit. So I've spent a lot of time listening to like, you know, Matt Farrah talk about is the California a car that you'd want to buy? And I think Matt and Zach say no way, Jose, like it's a very bad car.
Speaker 1: Well, I would get information from more than one block.
Speaker 2: Yes, of course I do. No, I you know, and.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's a very bad car at all. I think entry level cars are often disdained. You know, the California is not my favorite Ferrari, but it's not a bad car. And just because it's entry level doesn't mean that people who really are passionate about their cars might buy one.
Speaker 2: Well, what's the thing. I mean? The argument I've heard not just from Smoking Tire, but also from like Hoovey's Garage Mechanic and I watch everything on YouTube, right, is that the quality control is so bad? And where on the California, And I've heard it's a very different story on what do they call the new the Roma? Right, Because that's a car I would take in a heartbeat. It's so beautiful.
Speaker 1: Roma was my favorite car of the year when I drove it. Yeah, it was fabulous.
Speaker 2: But is that not the entry level currently?
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I think that's exactly why I don't disdain the entry level.
Speaker 1: A fabulous car, and I think real car people will understand that that car is directly related to previous ferraris from history and is absolutely within the Ferrari DNA and lineage. And I have a friend who just got one and loves it. So I just would think that that's a little bit of arrogance to just say that just because it's the entry level it isn't good.
Speaker 2: No, No, I'm not. What I'm saying is that's an entry level car that I would love to have and take in a heartbeat. I think the California is different.
Speaker 1: The California wasn't my favorite Ferrari.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's as good.
Speaker 1: You know they even let's say, yeah, Roma is much improved.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we're we were talking about. The point of this is manufacturers always say the take rate would be low, and I get that on a California the take great would be low. Yes, But I'm here to say that after what we've seen through the pandemic, and when you look at collection collector prices now a lot more people are paying attention now than they were pre pandemic to collector car prices. And so now if you offer, you know, a luxury or exotic or an exclusive vehicle with a manual option, now people know take the manual because especially a car that you're going to those people are not going to drive these cars, right, They put them in a garage, they hold on to them and then they sell it.
Speaker 1: Also, again, I have to disagree. I think a lot of people are buying manuals to drive them. And in fact, in the current issue of Business Geek, I've got a story specifically about manuals. The younger people who are buying manuals, especially in like Lamborghini and Ferrari range, they're driving them because they want to show off.
Speaker 2: It's like a status for sure. I mean, I think I'm agreeing with you. I'm I'm saying that now there's a much stronger argument for an automaker to put out a manual. Ten years ago, ten years ago when I asked, I was in Detroit with Sergio Marcioni and you know, one hundred journalists or two hundred journalists, and.
Speaker 1: He's a private affair, exactly private one.
Speaker 2: And they had introduced this little sports car that's gorgeous. It's a little, tiny, little spider, and but they didn't put it out with a manuel And I said why not? And he said, because you and I would be the only people who would buy one.
Speaker 1: That's what they all say.
Speaker 2: But I think that's not no longer the case. And I think that because you know, we've we've all seen what happens to manuals. My brother's desperately searching, as keep telling you, for a Ferrari. He only wants a manual. And of course he keeps finding the autos that are cheaper, like three point fifty five. The auto you could get a three sixty. The auto you can get, no, But if you want the manual, you got to pay up for it. And so these people are realizing that, and when they have enough money to buy a new car, they're going to say, you know what, I actually the take raid is going to be higher on the manual.
Speaker 1: Now, okay, I like this is a working theory. I will totally subscribe to it.
Speaker 2: The four C, by the way, the Alfa Romeo four C is what I'm.
Speaker 1: Talking I remember it. Okay, good to know.
Speaker 2: It's so cool with.
Speaker 1: The Fiat five hundreds like the ones that are manuals. In fact, my dentist bought one. He's a Ferrari owner and lover, and his own a bunch of Ferraris for years. He lives in Pasadena. But what he drives every day and what he cornered me while I'm in the chair with my mouth open for thirty minutes was to talk about is manual Fiat five hundred that he loves. He's obsessed with it, all.
Speaker 2: Right, So the Aston Martin doesn't have and I don't think on this kind of the new Vanquish, which is their flagship, you know, a touring car, I don't think you maybe even want a manual.
Speaker 1: No, but of course the Allure you can get a manual, right, Yes, Aston Martin Velure.
Speaker 2: I mean I didn't even know about that until recently. But yeah, that's a hot looking car.
Speaker 1: That that car. I mean, no one has ever said that Aston Martin makes bad looking cars. They look great.
Speaker 2: And they also keep putting out these kind of like limited editions with twelve cylinder engines and manual transmissions that I don't find out about until like months after the fact, or in the case of the Vlore, like a year later. But yeah, So this one, though, is I think looks very factory. It looks I mean it's so elegant, you know.
Speaker 1: Those I think of the panoramic glass roof.
Speaker 2: Very cool, and it has that it has the technology that the range Rover has where you can kind of like electronically close it essentially.
Speaker 1: Which is important because I've been in other cars, and you know, a glass roof sounds great in theory, but they really become a greenhouse.
Speaker 2: It's hot. Also like me, yeah, you got to be careful. You've in a very manly way, lost your hair, then you can't risk it.
Speaker 1: But I mean, I'm curious how many they are going to sell. They say they're going to limit production to under a thousand, but they wouldn't actually quote me a number, so it seems a little open ended.
Speaker 2: My big thing with Aston Martin is, I mean, I love a lot of the vehicles, like the Vantage. I loved the old Vantage. I know you didn't really totally fall head over heels and love at the new Vantage, but I feel like I would.
Speaker 1: It's a tough segment because there are a lot of great cars on that segment.
Speaker 2: True, that to me is the thing. But my thing with Aston Martin is do you want to buy the stock? Is this a company that's gonna last? You know, because if you do the comparison of if they could make Ferrari size margins, you know they should be Their market cap should be way bigger. And I know that's not what this show is typically about, but for me, this is the most interesting thing about this company right now. Of course the history and the vehicles and the new one they're coming out with is drop dead gorgeous and has amazing feats of engineering and design. And I'm sure I would I will want one, and I already do. But for me, the interesting thing is do I want the stock? You know, because if they achieve what Stroll has set out to achieve, and this is a big question on Wall Street, will he walk away or will he stick there and make it a winner? It should be worth a heck of a lot more than it is now.
Speaker 1: I'm really look, it's going to be really There's lots happening at Uston Martin. It'll be really interesting to follow because your question about the stock. They've brought in Adrian Hallmark, the former CEO at Bentley, who is very well respected, very well liked. He's really a gentleman and very critical thinker and kind of known for his ability to withstand a crisis he was in. He was at the Helm of Bentley during COVID and Bentley actually won some awards in the UK for how they managed the COVID, the pandemic, the closures, the shutdowns and then coming back and that was really credit to Adrian's foresight. And I think one of the reasons why he's been brought over to Aston Martin is for that same reason he You know, if anyone can bring Acid Martin back, quote unquote, it might be Adrian Hollmark. The thing is, and from what I'm hearing, it'll be curious to see whether Stroll really allows Adrian to run the company. Of course, billionaire owner, yes, how involved does he get and and of course you hire someone to do a job, are you gonna let them do the job? I don't know. And then on the other side of that, we've got, you know, Formula one where I feel like Aston Martin for years lived off the reputation that it got James Bond's car, and now I feel like the Formula one cachet might be surpassing that. And if they actually do sign Adrian Newey, the veteran engineer that is leaving Red Bull, which everyone is saying is going to be announced in the next few days, that will be a major coup.
Speaker 2: Probably by the time this podcast comes out, it'll be.
Speaker 1: Exactly And remember when we spoke with Zach Brown at McLaren and McLaren by the way, is really moving up. I mean it's Zach Brown is looking really smart. But remember when he said he was getting a lot of a lot of resumes from Aston Martin.
Speaker 2: Yep, I just think that would turn around in a heartbeat. And so that's why I think it's so interesting. The story of the two Adrians essentially resurrecting Aston Martin would be amazing. Just to give our listeners the stats, because I'm looking at your story. You have a story out on the new V twelve Vanquish eight hundred and thirty five horsepower or ps whatever fairness darker translation.
Speaker 1: I never really get that conversion eight.
Speaker 2: Twenty three horsepower, eight hundred and thirty five ps, one thousand newton meters of torque so seven hundred and thirty seven pound feet of torque out of a five point two liter twin TURBOV twelve. I can't wait to drive if I get a chance to drive it, and likely you will before I do. But if I get a chance to drive it, I'll be excited. By the way, Barry Ridholts just walked in the studio. You may know him from his very successful podcast Masters.
Speaker 1: The most Successful pot Is.
Speaker 3: And it's the oldest one. It's the very loose first one.
Speaker 2: It's also one. I mean I listened to it a lot, and frankly, in my day job, I get a lot of my intel from just listening to Barry's podcast tonight while I'm making dinner.
Speaker 3: I do get some good guests.
Speaker 2: Yes you do. But he's also obviously a car collector. He's been on this podcast before, and we're gonna talk to him in a moment in a bit about check in his check up, a car that he has customized in a way that a lot of people would consider heresy. But first I want to get your take. We've been talking about Aston Martin.
Speaker 3: And Odd that new That new Aston is just the most gorgeous car.
Speaker 2: This is what Hannah's just written.
Speaker 3: Is it not just spectac It's so beefy, it's so muscular. It's like everything I've loved about Aston Martin and then some.
Speaker 2: And you loved the Vantage. I remember when the Vantage, the New Vantage first came out and you said, man, that looks this most beautiful ass.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, the F type Jaguar and that Vantage have very similar family lineage. There was some at one point in time they were both owned by Ford. That redesign happened around the same time.
Speaker 2: But oh my, like I feel like the designers have been the same, right Hannah, one of the Calumns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, Ian has been gone for a few years now, and he actually started his own consulting company, but his Calum Calum Engineering.
Speaker 2: But his pen is still visible in the designs of today.
Speaker 3: Right, isn't that that F type the coop especially, it's every time I see it, it's it's not a There's not a lot of them around. There's a handful that with a stick, but you can only get the stick with the V six, not the V eight.
Speaker 2: Dude, why do what if you have one? Why do you My.
Speaker 3: Wife once when we were shopping one, I'm out of I am trying to build a garage because I am out of space.
Speaker 2: You have cars. You have a C two Corvette, and you have an R eight, and you have a number of BMW's and six. Right, it's a letter and a number. That's all I do is But what car has a letter in a number. As long as I've known, you've loved the F type and the vantage and you just never respect well, you know.
Speaker 1: What about a dB nine you know, I could see you and like get a sort of a two thousand and seven, two thousand.
Speaker 3: And eight, my M six scratches the itch for a big heavy GT with a stick shift, six hundred horsepower and a convertible top. By the way, that was the first quote unquote nice car I bought. And even that I couldn't pay retail. I had to buy it off lease, and my wife and I flew out to Indiana testro of it, signed the papers. It was three years old, it was half of new, and then drove home that from India. I mean that to me. So so this this Aston Martin is spectacular, but so is the price tag. And it's a little those of us who can't just write endless checks.
Speaker 1: It is expensive for twenty nine is a lot of you know what. We should talk about that because I think in my story I mentioned that Aston Martin prices are four times that of BMW and twice that of Portia, and they're doing that on purpose. They're trying to, like you said, Matt, increase their margins. But that is that You're right, Barry, that is pretty expensive.
Speaker 3: Right If I'm got to follow it up. If I'm spending four twenty nine. It's going to be on an eight twelve GTS from Ferrari with the retractable top. Not that I'm anywhere on their list where I would get one, you know.
Speaker 1: But that's what I keep saying about Aston Martin. They have some great cars, great options, very good looking. We all know this, but my thing has been in the segments that they're in. There are so many other options for the same price or about the same price.
Speaker 3: Right, And you know, if I'm gonna get a front engine V twelve, you could do a lot worse than an eight twelve with retractable top.
Speaker 2: I love the twelve, but I mean, yes, it has.
Speaker 3: The classic two light tail lights on each side, which other cars like the the F twelve don't have, and even some of the I don't remember. I it's a four to fifty eight or forty eight, you need those twin tail lights. It just reminds me of the Frays that I was a fan of as a kid. Once they went to one light. It's like, wait, I'm spending two hundred and fifty thousand dollars and I only get one tail light on each side. That doesn't seem right.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I had coffee yesterday with a dentist who lives in Beverly Hills.
Speaker 2: Wait, the same dentist or a different.
Speaker 1: Different did this? This is a different This is a Beverly Hills. This one's a woman. She and she owns a eight twelve super Fast. Oh, she tracks it out at Thermal and she's done the Gumball Gunball Rally in it. And I heard got a very nice speeding ticket in it and not get sent to prison, right and loves that car. She was telling me about it.
Speaker 3: It's so good looking, not looking.
Speaker 1: That cage incredible.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I would track that. I mean, if you want to track a Ferrari Go Mint engine. This is truly a GT. I don't care if it's eight hundred plus horse I.
Speaker 2: Would never track. If I have an eight twelve super Fast, I'm buying a used cater I was gonna say it.
Speaker 3: Everybody who has a super Fast has a track car, and it's up by Monticello where it's on the grounds waiting for you. I don't. I don't. I don't swim in those waters. And that dash is spectacular also.
Speaker 2: So this so, by the way, this, uh you mentioned your story four hundred and twenty nine thousand dollars for this.
Speaker 1: That's estimated.
Speaker 2: But so even if it's around there like five hundred, I don't think you can really compare it with a new Ferrari flagship because you can't get one.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: You can actually walk in to an Aston Martin dealership and actually custom order exactly what you want without having to first buy advantage and exactly so that automatically makes this so much cheaper. You know, when I bought my Chevy truck a couple of years ago, it was I think sixty eight grand, but it was since it was at the tail end of the pandemic. They had a used one on the lot with ten thousand miles and it was going for seventy five. And the reason is someone who wants it now is willing to pay more to walk away with it. And all right, let's let's move on to I'll say that you can go to Bloomberg dot com and read Hannah's story. By the way, you can also shoot us an email with your thoughts on Aston Martin because would you buy, well, not only which would you buy, but I'm also I'm really interested in the company story. Do you believe in this if you're a stock investor, and Barry always says, like, you would have been much better off rather than buying an iPad when they first came out, taking that money and buying Apple stock. Right, don't you say that? Barry?
Speaker 3: Say that again? Really texting right now, just shutting my phone off last. No, I just came out of the studio and my phone is lighting up. I'm like you, who is thinking me NonStop all day? You?
Speaker 2: You have always said if you like the iPad, but you'd be much better off not buying the iPad, taking that thousand dollars in buying Apple stock.
Speaker 3: No, I don't know if I've said I would say said no. Someone about ten years ago created a list of every Apple product that has ever come out and said, if instead of buying this product you bought Apple stock, here's what it would have been worth. So the Macclassic that I had in nineteen eighty eight, that would be worth like three million dollars if instead of the computer I used in grad school, that two thousand dollars is worth millions of dollars today. It's kind of it's kind of bonkers.
Speaker 2: So I'm just saying if people email us at hot Pursuit at Bloomberg dot net, I want to get people's take on the Aston Martin stock, which is something we don't normally talk about in the show, but I think it's interesting because of the fact that back in twenty eighteen it was going for four thousand. This is in Pens on the Londonside Change. Now it's going for one, fifty one and fifty. It was going for four. Dude, if you like this company, if you liked it, then you better love it now. And especially if they bring in these two new Adrians from Bentley and from Red Bull. If those guys are successful and Laurence Stroll manages to let them resurrect the company, you could be off to the races.
Speaker 1: You could be I mean by low right exactly.
Speaker 2: I don't suppose you've given any thought to Aston Martin as an.
Speaker 3: I could tell you. I love Bill Ackman's joke about what's the stock that's down ninety percent. It's a stock that was down eighty percent and got cut in half, and that's I just think that's a genius way of looking at the math.
Speaker 2: But then you never make any money buying low Okay, it could be a value play, is what I'm saying, right, because imagine if this had for.
Speaker 3: It's the market cap one hundred and seventy five million dollars.
Speaker 2: It is one point two five billion pounds.
Speaker 3: How many how many cars do they have to sell to to do what? Uh? And what profit margin to catch up to what the stock symbol race?
Speaker 1: Yes, Michael Dean, Yeah, right, I mean it's it's.
Speaker 3: Not just hey it's the stock. Just because it was higher before and lower now doesn't mean, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Just think it's interesting.
Speaker 3: And by the way, I have no opinion on Aston Martin.
Speaker 2: It could go no, not.
Speaker 3: They're just saying, you know, you have to really look into what's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: I just think Laurence Stroll is a smart guy. He didn't get to be a billionaire by accident, and he when he does the back of the Napkin math on this, he's very convinced.
Speaker 3: How did he get to be a billionaire. I think he's a fashion mobile fashion all right, So he's looking at aumobiles as an extension of luxury. It's a look, I got you, not not a terrible move. It's kind of interesting, you know.
Speaker 1: He was the guy. He's Canadian. He was the guy behind like Tommy Hill figure Michael Cores. He sort of financed those guys back in the day. I think he also might have even financed some of Ralph Lauren too. But the other thing.
Speaker 3: Who has a spectacular automobile. I was had an opportunity about ten years ago to go up to Connecticut with a friend who was appraising it. And I'm like, oh, I'll get up there, and I just never I missed that opportunity. Oh no, And it kills me because I could have.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, I would say about the acid Martin versus Ferrari thing. You know, yes, Matt, I really love your point about you can actually get in Aston Martin. But I think on the flip side, people are also looking at what am I going to get for it when I sell?
Speaker 2: True, of course the depreciation is a huge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no comparison. I mean, Ferrari's just hold her value or go up.
Speaker 2: Well that's why you wait, isn't there yet? Wait for some bitcoin millionaire to pick one up and then go bust and buy it from her or him a year later. I want to get to Barry's Portia. He was telling me and some of the other car fanatics in the office. He has been for months, and you've been writing about it on your blog, right.
Speaker 3: Yah, I've been doing regular updates.
Speaker 2: So so tell us, tell us the genesis of this story. It's a nine to eleven from what the eighties. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, so during the pen right before the pandemic, me and a buddy, we're rebuilding a pair of FJ forty Toyotas in Colombia and bring him back to the United States. And it was so much fun doing that. Then I'm like, let me do that with a Porsche. And Bloomberg had done a story on motors in Austin, Texas and they were one of the early companies doing these EV conversions of classic cars. They were mostly doing some trucks. They were doing some range Rovers and some like Ford Broncos, turning them into EV's And so I'm like, let me try that. And so I found an old nineteen eighty eight nine to eleven Cabrio that I thought would be a great electric car. The previous owner had raced it. It had racing harnesses and a roll bar and he had all like racing suspension and you know, went for relatively cheap as a donor car, and I bring it to my local Porsche guy works one in Seacliff, and he's like, congratulations, this is a matching numbers M four ninety one. I know you said you wanted to tweak it, but it's worth double what you paid for it. I don't suggest this is the car you destroy. So I restored that back to stock. It's just one of these classic analog you know. It's funny. The only thing I left that the previous owner had done is he had taken the three point two into three point four leaders the flat six, and it's about two hundred and seventy five horse power. It's amazing. By the way, the M four ninety one is called the turbo package. It's everything. The turbo gives you the fender flares, the whale tail, the upgrade suspension, the upgrade breaks, minus the blower. It doesn't have a turbo. It's just stock engine power. So you're right. So it's not a widow maker. It doesn't have that tendency to surprise you mid turn. But so I thought my wife would love that car. She's like, it's loud, it smells. This is not my she drives a stick. She's like, this is not my favorite car of yours. So I'm like, all right, now I got to do this again. So I start hunting for a new Donor car. By the way, with moment Moners, I gave them a deposit like three years ago, as a year Q is like a year and change to come up. So I was the deposit ten grand. That's all. It was the deposit.
Speaker 2: I mean that's a pretty steep of course.
Speaker 1: I want to ask how much you're into this.
Speaker 3: I could have walked into a local Porsche dealer and bought a brand new nine to eleven s for about what this ended up costing, and then where I live on the north shore of li Island, it would be one of the ten thousand nine to eleven's driving around. Instead, I found it still also would have to wait. No back then went well.
Speaker 2: I mean now for a careers, I think you're still waiting in twenty one.
Speaker 3: This project began in like twenty one, twenty two. It wasn't quite as crazy. It was working its way up the automobile line. It hadn't quite like.
Speaker 2: It was just that the you mean a nine to eleven at twenty twenty two prices or in twenty twenty four, because the prices now have also gotten up substantially.
Speaker 3: At twenty twenty two prices in twenty twenty two. So I found this like really good looking lagoon green metallic, which is really a light blue three hundred thousand mile nine to eleven, so really three hundred thousand miles hundred thousd. By the way, the difference between Ferrari owners and Porsche owners. Ferrari owners love to talk about how little miles they have. Porsche owners are absolutely proud. Yeah, I got two hundred and fifty thir I got three hundred thousand miles. It's fair. One hundred thousand mile. Porsches are just getting warmed up one hundred thousand mile Ferraris. I don't know if they.
Speaker 2: I think you can. I think you can very easily attest to the truth of that.
Speaker 3: I mean, what, what don't.
Speaker 2: You guys have a didn't you pick up.
Speaker 1: A bought We bought a nine to nine seven with eighty thousand.
Speaker 2: Miles nothing one hundred, one hundred and eight eighty one hundred and eighty, one hundred and eighty dollar and it still is a great car, right I mean.
Speaker 1: It's, oh yeah, we drove that to Utah in a day and fell in love with it.
Speaker 3: Right, It's this. I was actually very so this car. I was looking at a nine to nine to seven point two, the last of the nine and I'm not a Porsche guy. That's the funny thing. The last of the nine to eleven turbos with a stick I want to say twenty thirteen, twenty fourteen.
Speaker 2: It's twenty thirteen, twenty twelve, twenty thirteen. And it's also the last I think with hydraulic steering.
Speaker 3: So so it was wide over black with red trim, red, red seat belts, red stitch.
Speaker 2: It's basically the end of the nine nine to six lifespan is the nine nine to seven point two, hich is what I think is so cool?
Speaker 3: Right, So, and the way they alternate between what they do with the point ones in point two is really very clever how they roll different things out. But anyway, I started looking at it as a buck and a quarter and I kind of dawdled. Then it was a buck fifty, then it was a bucks seventy five. I'm like, what was going on? This is like during the pandemic and before I know if they're asking more than two hundred for car that I was like thinking about at one a quarter. And that's what kind of sent me, you know what, for over for six figures, I could get a car that's almost as fast and a lot more unique than this. And so that started the process of I found a car with three hundred thousand miles it had previously been hit.
Speaker 1: Was this a California car? The car that you actually I think you, I think I saw you in LA and you were on your way.
Speaker 3: No, I ended up not passing on all the California cars. This was I want to say.
Speaker 2: It wasn't from the Beverly Hills Car Club.
Speaker 3: No, it was not Constitution. And I saw a lot of ratty cars there. And you, by the way you look at a bunch of cars, you really kind of get a feel for what cars have and like, what buttons are you have to check? Oh the button that's underneath the dash that adjusts the which marry You're just so this car three hundred thousand miles. The front end was hit, so it had a bunch of rust on the inside. The paint looked great, the interior looked great. It was it It was in Connecticut. It had same owner for twenty years. Wrong doors, wrong mirrors, wrong steering wheel.
Speaker 1: How much did you pay for this car?
Speaker 3: I want to say about forty eight grand something like that.
Speaker 1: And that's on top of the so no, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: That was the nine ninety seven too, right, which you.
Speaker 3: No, No, the little price this car I paid for let's call it fifty by the time at tax and shipping, and then the hardware and software and labor was just about one hundred and what years upgrade there is? This is an eighty seven sunroof, delete rear wiper, lagoon, green matille.
Speaker 2: You're fifty grand in this, You pay the ten thousand dollars deposit, and then you ship it down to Austin.
Speaker 3: Right down to Austin, Texas.
Speaker 1: Which and then this is twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: No, no, the the deposit is twenty twenty, late twenty one. So I'm supposed to be up in the queue. Maybe it was early twenty two when I'm supposed to be up with a few early twenty twenty three. And then I actually was having fun driving this car around as a gasoline. The first thing I had to do one of the fuel inject.
Speaker 2: You don't say you really enjoyed driving around to Porsche to so.
Speaker 3: Let me point out for people who think Porsches of from Night from the eighties or Porsches today. So, yeah, weighed twenty five hundred pounds, but it's two hundred horse power and I would get smoked if I would race a CenTra at a red light. These are slow, their momentum, beautiful cars.
Speaker 1: They reward good driving.
Speaker 3: They were There's no doubt about it. The steering in that car continues to astonish me. How great it is. All right, at five miles an hour, you're you know you're using.
Speaker 1: So if you loved it, Barry, then why change it? And this is really well, it needed a lot of stuff fiction if you loved it so much when you're driving, it would So that's what an electric motor.
Speaker 2: Well, hang on a second, Let's point out that he already had bought one eighties and kept and I kept it.
Speaker 3: My plan was not to accumulate a bunch of nine to elevens, but the M four ninety one Cabrio, which, by the way, it's always amazing when I have this fantastic detailer slash. I got a wrap shop.
Speaker 2: I gotta get to that guy that that.
Speaker 3: First of all, they compounded the M four ninety one, which is just.
Speaker 2: Just tell me what town does the detailer in?
Speaker 3: Locus Valley? All right, I got it, and and so so the paint kind of came to life. It looked terrible, and so I didn't have to repaint that. They steam cleaned the leather with blue piping blue above the belt line. And suddenly this M for ninety one nine to eleven cabrio that I think I was into for like sixty five.
Speaker 2: Grand is a right.
Speaker 3: One hundred and twenty five or one hundred and forty thousand.
Speaker 2: Get you get your dream, You get your dream cab and that stays gas. So this this new three hundred thousand dollars eighty seven, three hundred thousand, three thousand thousand dollars car, you shut it down to Austin. I want to get to that before.
Speaker 3: But before I ship it down to Austin, I replace the brake lines, I have the steering service. And what comes back is, hey, you're gonna need a new clutch on this. The engine's gonna need an overhaul if you want to keep this car the way it is. I know you paid fifty grand for it, but you really need another twenty thirty thousand dollars worth of.
Speaker 2: Work, so you're gonna have to do it anyway.
Speaker 1: Would have been less than right electric.
Speaker 3: Let's cut in half. Let's say it needed fifteen to twenty thousand dollars worth of way. No one's buying a three hundred thousand miles nine to eleven, and it's gonna pour because you know, if the estimates ten to fifteen, you know in reality you're twenty twenty five. You have to always build in a buffer on estimates. So this is a car that was gonna get used for parts. No one was gonna put the money in.
Speaker 2: So you send it down to Austin.
Speaker 3: So before I do that, I redo, I clean, I really do a compound in color correction on your never get to aust I put stripes on it, I put the career on the side. Then I send it down to Austin June twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: And June twenty twenty three, and you just got it back basically a year later.
Speaker 3: The beginning of end of July twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: And how happy were you with Moment Motors in terms of their communication.
Speaker 3: Communication is fantastic. The guys over there are amazing.
Speaker 2: They give.
Speaker 3: First of all, you get a private website where they're constantly updating the site things. Every time they do something, they're telling you about it every time. They like. So they're the ones that said, hey, you know this repair that was done on the rust in the front, this is where a couple hundred pounds of battery's going to go. We don't think this is what's this going to cost? A couple of thought?
Speaker 2: All right, so do that.
Speaker 3: And then after they replaced the whole floor pan basically in the front.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So, by the way, I have no spare tire, and I'm surprised I can't.
Speaker 2: So it's a year.
Speaker 3: I'm getting regular updates and it's like I was kind of hoping to have a back and by may or June, and you know, lots of lots of little things. So originally Felton Motors is the company that makes the all the software and adapts the Tesla engine and they recreate the five gauge traditional Porsche set of dials that you see. They're modern and updated. I instead of having attack, I have a kilo loot consumption, instead of having a gas gauge I have. Here's how much charge you have. You know, it's funny, it's the same thing, but they're all different. You kind of have to I'm used to just kind of glancing down at the tack and usually have a sense of my speed in those cars, so that just the weight increase. I went from twenty five hundred to a little over twenty eight hundred, so you gained about three and a quarter in pounds. But you go from two hundred and fifteen to almost four hundred horse power. You're about four hundred. You're three forty until you hit the sport button and then you're three ninety five in horsepower something like that.
Speaker 2: So you did though, I know you overhauled the suspension.
Speaker 3: You had to because it was sitting a little low. And so it's funny. When I first got the Cabrio, it had a race suspension and you felt every bump. All you felt the dotted lines on the road. Standard is pretty cushy, like believe it or not, those eighties ear Of Porsches were semi luxury cars. They're very comfortable. This is now halfway between stock and what that race cat.
Speaker 2: I'm just trying to get all the work you had done.
Speaker 3: Suspension isn't bad you put you know, that's two grand. The new tires were two grand, the floor plan was four grand.
Speaker 2: And then steering.
Speaker 3: Was you know, all that stuff was when I first got the car, I put about five grand into Let's check the brakes. Let's see if we need to replace the brake lines. Let's look at all the all the light bulbs that needed to be replaced, all the all the fuses like they my guys went through through it, and you know.
Speaker 1: For about our region brakes.
Speaker 3: So here this is so once you get the car back and you start learning how to drive it. So first I don't have a pure EV My other electrics are hybrid. I have my wife's Panama four S is a hybrid. So the region is really you don't feel it very much. This is set as mild region that you can adjust, can or cannot cannot, And I mean it can be adjusted through software, but it's not like a little switch.
Speaker 2: You can't.
Speaker 3: I can't adjust it the way you cannot Tesla or or a Hyundai Ionic five. But it's a little weird because when you take your foot off the accelerator, you continue to coast, you touch the brake pedal and it kind of doesn't do a whole lot for ten twenty travel, It's like, what's going on here. It's not until you get to thirty five to forty percent down that the calibers kick in. So if you want to stop, you really got to mash on the brakes. That was a little bit of a learning variance. I had the car out on Saturday. It had just drizzled, and I learned, if you're gonna stomp on the accelerator, make sure the tires are facing forward. Because I'm at the inter three way intersection. It's early in the morning, no one's around, and I kind of I don't even put it to the carpet. I just kind of stomp on a little bit, and the next thing I know, the tail is passing me on the right, and you know, you just flick your wrists to the right and you catch it and kind of regain control. But it's like, okay, little learning lesson there. I mentioned the steering is very precise over ten miles an hour. It's really Hannah, you have a lot of experience with those older nine events. That steering is surprisingly good for a car from that era right like fun. It's like, oh my, I can't believe how precise and how quick.
Speaker 1: To react to is the steering wheel and go.
Speaker 3: But here's kind of what I learned. It corners relatively flat, as a little leaning, but not a lot. You've gone from I don't know, sixty five to thirty five to closer to fifty to fifty, and you've lowered the center of gravity because of the batteries and where the motor is on the rear axle. But when you step on the accelerator, the mass shifts back on the rear wheels. I wouldn't describe it as floating. Those cars have a little bit of understeer naturally. At least that's how this car feels to me. I don't know if the Tabrio does talk.
Speaker 1: To us about the range and the charging time.
Speaker 3: So my wife's Panama charger is the exact same charger, and I insisted on charging in the same place on the front left fender where the gas fill is nice.
Speaker 1: It's nostalgia.
Speaker 3: First of all, anytime you flip that open and show people their heads, they just explode. But second, it takes almost no time in older charge, I use it what is that five hours? I don't know. I don't even pay attention when it's when it's by the way, when when the motor came to Texas, they ran a set of oil cool cooling for the motor, and maybe because it was in Texas so hot, they decided to add a second set. Didn't charge me for that, But so it's got dual twice the amount of cooling. Hopefully we avoid that Tesla bursting into fire sort of thing. So two and a quarter if you're driving, you know, reasonably, if you're a hoolian, it's probably half of that buck fifty something like that. I mean, I haven't even gotten down to fifty percent, you know of battery charge yet I take it down to you know, sixty five sixty.
Speaker 2: You even had much time with this car yet?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the first few weeks I had a hard time getting in and out of it. Now I'm much more mobile and I'm getting in and out of the car. So I've spent this weekend and last weekend kind of putting it through its paces. And first of all, it's weird how quiet it is on the high on the road. I haven't put taken it on the highway yet, but I've been on you know, fifty mile an hour roads you get to eighty super quick. Like I haven't tested zero to sixty. But some guy in an M fifty I was messing around with me on the road yesterday, and I'm like, see, yuh, it's always funny to like, I wish I could see this guy's face. And my rear license plate is even nine to eleven. So anyone who's paying attention will will figure this out.
Speaker 2: So my two questions are, how much, assuming that you didn't have to do the other work that was you would have had to do anyway, how much did the conversion cost when all is said.
Speaker 3: And done, I'm gonna tell you by the time you're done with everything, and anytime you're anytime you are dealing listen, you know I have a bunch of old cars, right, anytime you're dealing with a car from the sixty seventies, eighties, if it's not this, it's that it always is going to require something. Right, So whether that's ten twenty thirty grand, it's gonna cost you something. The donut car is going to cost you something. Assume you're choosing between this or a new nine to eleven. That's pretty much how it prices.
Speaker 2: Out and how much and and how how do you feel about this car next to the M four ninety one cab, Like, so the.
Speaker 3: Beauty of the the gas car, like the beauty of that is that is the car like when I was growing up. I'm a little older than you. When I was growing up, that was the poster half the guy's.
Speaker 2: Having dude for me too, the whale tail and everything that's right.
Speaker 3: And in fact, I vividly recall an episode of Seinfeld that's the poster on his wall of the coop. Only I'm gonna assume that's a nine thirty, not an M four ninety one. It's a real turbo, but that car is I remember the ed campaign kills Bugs Fast from and it was just again, I'm not a crazy poor skuy. I don't think of this as blasphemy. This is a car I rescued that was going to the part spin. So I don't feel like there's any blaspheme here.
Speaker 2: And by the way, I.
Speaker 3: Just rescued another car that you know, needed rescuing and was restored back to literally original factory stock. So I have a little cred amongst the local, Yes, nine to eleven crews, He's okay, he's saved that other car.
Speaker 2: So it's not like I'm just wondering if you like one better, like do you? Or are they two totally separate.
Speaker 3: Things so different? So if you want to know what it's like to experience a truly analog car from the nineties that was well built and in its day was one of the faster cars on the road, faster, not fastest, the nine to eleven is a blast in eighties or nine to eleven they look the part you don't realize most people don't realize new nine to eleven's like twice the size of the old ones. If you go out and buy a CA Hayman or a Boxter, which is the convertible version, they're the size of the eighties era nine elevens. That's how relatively small these are. They're small, they're nimble, they handle great. They're just fun cars. By the way, anywhere I take the M four ninety one, somebody always stops me and says something.
Speaker 1: I would just say, from my observation of this conversation, you like the M four nine to one better because you're talking about that far.
Speaker 3: More well he just asked about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, he said, which do you like? He kind of.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've had that car for two years, and I feel like I'm barely two weeks into this car, and I just took it to a place in Port Washington to talk about I want, in fact, now that it's funny you're here, one of Mangnus's cars inspired me. I took this to an interior shop because I'm gonna go even more retro with this. I'm gonna I'm gonna add a tartan plaid to the seat inserts and along the uh and I need love. The carpets need to be replaced. That's right. The sort of bluish whitish. You know that color If you look up lagoon green metallic, it's really a light blue. It's tough to find a tartan that matches it. And I thought those stripes were fun, and I thought, uh, the Correra script, I really wanted to personalize it.
Speaker 2: You have to. I'm just looking just for the listeners. Barry's blog, which is called The Big Picture. The U r L is Ritholtz dot com, so you can see this, you can see all of this. I just want to say that if I some if something happens, Barry where I make it into your will and I can only have one of these cars, I just think I want the M four ninety one. Yeah, and then.
Speaker 3: It's a very different experience, by the way.
Speaker 2: But I want to come to come to your house.
Speaker 3: Okay, you have no idea. How much, how grateful, how much I appreciate the fact that I bought a internal combustion engine nine to eleven thinking I would convert it, ended up restoring it. But he had a roll bar, so all right, when you roll over, at least you know you're only the top of your head gets cut off. You don't just and then the bit there's the.
Speaker 2: You basically fell into a great investment with the end by.
Speaker 3: Accident, by total accident. I thought, I thought it would be my wife's summer car, and she's like, no, I like the Panama better. Okay, And then this pro I already had put the deposit down, so I had to find another car. And this is just a totally different animal. And the ability to have both of these and to do a compare and contrast. If you click this, you'll see they're both side by side. Scroll down do I have.
Speaker 2: A picture of both. Yeah, so that is the picture of so gorgeous dude. But so you could see the eighty eight.
Speaker 3: And by the way, it looks better than that. I the paint is better today, the interior is better today. But the ability to say, all right, what what an incredible luxury? How I can't begin to mention how how this guy, who's not a nine to eleven mutant, not a freak about it, suddenly ends up with two spectacular.
Speaker 1: Nine to elevens. If somebody offered you one hundred and fifty thousand dollars for it right now, would you sell it.
Speaker 3: For the cabrio?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, that's a break even.
Speaker 3: Why on earth would I do that? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: You're gonna have to kind of thought, you might say, no.
Speaker 3: Under absolutely not. Not only. First of all, it's two plus years. That's the Tartan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you scroll down hand and you can see the Tartan choices, the So not only did.
Speaker 3: It take two years, I'm just beginning to learn it. I'm kind of getting a feel for it.
Speaker 1: So you're you're like, you're actually interested. This isn't oh yeah.
Speaker 2: No, no, this is do you have the same. Do you have the same Fuchsfelden. Do you have the same wheels?
Speaker 3: Yeah, those are the wheels that are on each of those cars. Of course I have those sixteen inch I will tell you the Cabrio has much fatter rubber on that, and I looked into replacing that. I mean, those are brand new conties on the electric. But I'm like, this car could really use some fatter rubber. And actually the rubber isn't the weakest link in that. I want to say, the brakes are probably the weakest link. Like I am, I drive that car very defense, but every time I get a new car, I drive it defensively until I really learn its limits. This thing is just and we're going to see this problem in evs and Ford Lightnings and and one of my workmates just got a new Rivian suv and he's a big car guy, also Jay in my office, and he's like, this thing is so giant and so heavy and so fast. It's stunning. And I think we need to put carbon brakes on everything, because when you have a sixty these are three and four ton vehicles with eight hundred horsepower. People going to die.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why the well, the Corvette E Ray has carbon brakes for that reason, because I mean, all right, that's all we have time for on that.
Speaker 3: We have to get to my pleasure. When you come out, Hannah, I will bring I'd love to drive it. Which whichever one you wanna or both. If you come out to the Burbs, we we can. You can work your way through the whole fleet.
Speaker 2: Barry, thank you so much for that. We gotta cover a couple of other topics here, but I I'm so glad I ran into you today and that you got this project complete, because we've been hearing about it for a long time, excited.
Speaker 3: To say, bring the Vanquish and we'll swap fine fair love it Burier Holts.
Speaker 2: You can check out his blog again at ritholts dot com The Big Picture, and definitely listen to Masters in Business. I listen to it every time a new episode It's Fabulous comes out. All right, I want to talk about a couple of other Uh. I guess I don't think lower end is right for the Mercedes, the box, the babble story we don't really need to say much about right, the fact that they Bulbo has.
Speaker 1: Scaled back their ev target.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think you're gonna see a lot more carmakers doing this. We've already seen a few do it.
Speaker 1: We've seen pretty much every automaker do it, from Volkswagen to General Motors to Stilantis to Mercedes to Ford.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Fulvo is simply the latest in a long, long, long list.
Speaker 2: By the way, I don't think it's really a surprise, and I don't think it means that we're not headed still towards an ev future.
Speaker 1: They all say it's still going to happen. It's just a little bit more fluid and not as quickly.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's a huge ship. You can't turn this thing around.
Speaker 1: No, I mean that's part of It's like how fast can you pivot?
Speaker 2: And by the way, we're we don't really need to cover it. But the Folkswagen story that's unfolding in Germany is in that they are going to for the first time in their eighty seven year history close, or at least Oliver Blooma wants to close a German factory. This is so important in a country where I think at least four hundred thousand Germans are employed by Volkswagen or one of the brands that Folkswagen owns, and of course in Germany they have a different kind of ownership system where the union occupies half of the supervisory board, so the workers have a real say in what happens to the business. And Volkswagen has had a string of CEOs who have had trouble dealing with this system in these unions. You know, Herbert Diese was the last one to essentially get thrown out by the unions not wanting him to make big changes. Bluma came in and I thought honeymoon is over there because he's talking about shutting down businesses in Germany. This is at a time when Chinese competitors are coming in and just dunking on them in terms of affordable you know, quality electric vehicles, and it's I mean, it ripples into politics in a way that basically a far right winging party, the Alternative for deutsch Land, has won the elections of Turing in one of the German states, beating out all other comers, and it's coming in second in a lot of other states. So this sort of economic breakdown, yes, is leading to an economic breakdown. Inflation and low cost competition from China is destroying the German economy and that is pushing them to extremes in terms of politics on the right and really on the left. I don't want to get into it because it's a car podcast, but I highly it's really fascinating.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's very cool to have your perspective on that as someone who lived in Germany and is very close to that.
Speaker 2: I mean, such a deep, deep story. Out of Germany comes a car that I have fallen in love with, and really I'm really shocked too. Frankly, we're talking about the Mercedes Clee and the four fifty is the one that both of us have driven. Now, yes, i'll practice this well, I'll preface this by saying that a couple of weeks ago I had the Mercedes AMGSL sixty three, which is essentially like the big version of it. Yes right, Yes, that has a twin turbo V eight and a two hundred thousand dollars price tag. And I really didn't like it at all. I thought it was I didn't like the way it looked because I had to compare it to the old AMGGTS, which is the most beautiful car Mercedes has built in you know, decades, and it is dead now. I didn't like the way it felt. It wasn't super comfortable, the suspension was bouncy. I didn't like the motor, even though it was a V eight, it didn't really sound that great and it was super laggy. At least it felt like that to me. I'm not a pro.
Speaker 1: But you're talking about the AMGSL sixty three, Yes from Mercedes.
Speaker 2: Yes, I really, I really wasn't into it.
Speaker 1: I'm shocked.
Speaker 2: I spent a week driving it, and you know.
Speaker 1: I drove it in twenty I think that's no.
Speaker 2: No, this is brand new. This one is just this is a new version of that. So it's a four seater, it's.
Speaker 1: A even though it's a two door drove four seater.
Speaker 2: And it's an all wheel drive.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I guess you guys have much earlier look than I did.
Speaker 1: Well, that's when it came out. But I remember, I think in obviously I haven't. I didn't drive it last week, but I don't remember thinking any of those things. Obviously it's curvier and heavier than.
Speaker 2: The I mean, I you know what, a lot of people really liked it. I think the straight pipes, you know, Urine Jacob, they liked it I believe they drove the hard top version, which is like the new AMGGT. Sure, but it's the same car as the SL sixty three Roadster, except it as a hard top. I just thought, you know what, for two hundred grand, I don't want something that doesn't sound amazing. I don't want something that has bouncy sort of luxury suspension, even though it is a luxury vehicle. I want it to be more precise. I don't want something that's laggy. I want something that's you know, got instant acceleration and very responsible. The CLE. So the CLE is okay, obviously much cheaper you can get into it for seventy grand.
Speaker 1: And a little bit more bland and look.
Speaker 2: I think it's better looking. So and I don't love the new Mercedes design language. They look like a like a horizontally placed convex banana. All those cars look like banana cars. But I think the CLE is really good looking. Now that could be. You know, I didn't just fall out of a coconut tree, as Kamala says. I exist in the context of all in which I live and what came before me. But maybe because I spent time with the AMGSL sixty three. Now I'm more used to that design language and now I can appreciate. But I think the CLA looks better, a lot better. It could also be because the one I have is in this beautiful red. It's called Patagonia Red Metallic. It's actually called manufactur Patagonia red Metallic. By the way, that's a German word that just translates into factory, and Mercedes and Porsche both use it as like a high margin.
Speaker 1: Like exclusive optional factor I.
Speaker 2: Know, but exclusive factory.
Speaker 1: Exclusive manufacturer, which is German for exclusive, yesure.
Speaker 2: I anyway, the color is beautiful, but I feel like the responsiveness is so much better, even though it only has an inline six, but it's got a mild hybrid forty old mild hybrid system. The sound is much better, even though the sound is fake.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say, how can you say that, Matt, How can you know we're literally looking at this car. This is the car last week that I literally walked past in the parking garage looking for my car quote unquote for the week, and it was this and I walked past it. It's so bland. It was blue. I think it was manufacturer blue. It's a fine car. It's fine. The perfect word for it is mild. It's mild.
Speaker 2: I mean this is This is an example of where two people can have very different opinions. For me, I think it's great looking. I think the seats are so comfortable, and I think the interior is so elegantly laid out. It has everything you need and nothing you don't. Normally, I would hate a car that only has a screen and no buttons, but this, for some reason works. The new m Bux system is amazing. I like the steering wheel. Nobody else likes the steering wheel with the touch controls.
Speaker 1: So you're telling me that you enjoyed adjusting the volume dragging your thumb.
Speaker 2: I will say I haven't really listened to music on the stereo because I like the fake engine noise so much. Oh no, Matt, Oh God, I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: Regret saying I feel like this No Sugar thing is not good for.
Speaker 2: I'm not eting Sugar since Sunday. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying this is a bad car. It's a it's a fine car. I'm just shocked that you're like obsessed with it. Well it's a fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just think it's so so much fun to drive. I like these big GT coops or coupe By the way, you should email us at hot Pursuit at Bloomberg dot net and tell me if it's coop or coupey. Is it coop or coupey.
Speaker 1: If you walk around saying coupey in the US, you're gonna look like an idiot.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's fair. The thing is pretty heavy, right, it's over four thousand pounds, but it has three hundred and I think three hundred and seventy five horse powers.
Speaker 1: Years sixty and over six seconds.
Speaker 2: No no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no no, that's the you're looking at the three hundred. This is the four fifty. Is zero to sixty and I think four point two four.
Speaker 1: Point two seconds quick.
Speaker 2: No. But it's not a sports car. It's like a luxury GT. And so for me, Look, I'm driving in on the Sawmill to the Henry Hudson at five o'clock in the morning. There's like no place for cops to hide, so you can do super legal speeds pretty much the whole way. And it's a great car for that commute. I mean super comfy seats. By the way, I'm six to three and all leg I don't fit in almost any car unless the seats all the way back. This is one of the few cars that I could actually have to move the seat forward to ride.
Speaker 1: I agree, love it.
Speaker 2: And the motor. I'm as shocked as you are. I'm a total diehard V eight lover. This thing is an in line six and therein lies my one issue with it. So basically the way it's configured. I have it for I'm testing it for eighty thousand dollars. For eighty thousand dollars, you could also buy a BMWM four, which is much more of a weapon. Right, yes, but then again, this is a car. Maybe you don't want a weapon. Maybe you just want to commute from.
Speaker 1: Me, like a very nice car, like very mild nice.
Speaker 2: All right, you know, well, I like it.
Speaker 1: I do think the starting prize for the for the Inline four, which is like sixty three, I think the three. Yeah, yeah, I think that's fair. Like it's an entry level, it's a mass luxury, it's a it's a mass produced I.
Speaker 2: Don't know, Inline four. I feel like you've kind of given up on life at that point.
Speaker 1: How can you say that there's there's not a big difference between this mild hybrid six and inline dude.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think the inline six is an amazing engine configuration. It's one of the great engine configurations. And in line four unless it's an Alfa Romeo four C I like the Inline four in the BMW five thirty.
Speaker 1: I guess, but I'm just so surprised.
Speaker 2: Uh, just quickly tell me what you're doing next week. I'll tell you what I'm I'm doing next week and then we'll wrap.
Speaker 1: On Saturday, I am traveling to Luxembourg to drive the Doce Chillandry, the twelve cylinder Ferrari.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, You're going to Luxembourg to drive a Ferrari. Yes, you live the lights.
Speaker 1: I know. I'm I'm blessed. Blessed, No, I hate that term.
Speaker 2: By God.
Speaker 1: I'm really happy to go. It should be fun. I hope that I can get enough information to help everyone else learn whether they should buy it. And yeah, so that's what I'm doing on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: What are you doing?
Speaker 2: Well? Next week, I'm going to Singer presentation. I don't even know what it is, but Singer is going to be here in New York City and Grangich Village, and I have never seen a singer in real life. So I have the turbocharged Tour is what it's called.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's.
Speaker 2: Gonna essentially be Barry's car, Barrie's M four ninety one, but with a turbocharged motor and obviously highly modified. I'm excited, super excited to see a singer for the first time. Obviously a car I will never Probably you don't, that's true. It could become a bitcoin billionaire.
Speaker 1: You know, there's a guy out here on the West Coast that just won the biggest Powerball payout. I believe who's been buying cars lately. He should get a singer that could be you.
Speaker 2: So I'm excited to see that. Here in New York City, there's a Ducatti meet up that I'm excited for here. And then Indian has come out with an all new Scout. I know this is a cars podcast, but Indian.
Speaker 1: I love the Scout.
Speaker 2: It's a great it's like such a great platform for Indian. Yes, and I'm more of a chief guy.
Speaker 1: Well, yes you are.
Speaker 2: But I'm excited to drive this new Scout and I'm gonna get one to test out for a week, so I'm looking very much forward. The dozens of listeners that we have should definitely email us. We've been getting some really cool starting, some really cool conversation, so hot pursuit at Bloomberg dot Net. Me and Hannah right back usually straight away. And we've got some cool guests coming up.
Speaker 1: We've got Chris Body, the trumpeter, who's really extremely cool, world renowned, has toured with everybody, including Frank Sinatra. He's actually a big car guy and he lives he had it well, he lives many places, but he's got a place at Thermal Track and so we're going to talk to him about his life and cars. He's got some other cool cars on order, so that'll be really fun.
Speaker 2: Having house at Thermal would be I mean, you might know a few people will talk.
Speaker 1: To him about that.
Speaker 2: I think it's such a cool idea. And I've never been to a track where people have houses and garage set up, and so you know, we talked to Lake Bell, her dad set up I think New Jersey Motorsports Park like that kind of or he set up vir right, which is cool, I should say. I also have Ali Javidan from Range Energy lined up. I don't know when, but I talked to his people today on the actual telephone, and this guy has been like, uh, he's worked. He started I think at his first big job at Tesla, but he's been all over the place and he knows everything about suspension. Is a huge Porsche guy. So he'll be coming on at some point. And then you are you gonna tell? Are you gonna say? The CEO?
Speaker 1: Yes, Chris Brownridge, the new CEO of Rolls Royce, will be coming on and we will have a lot of fun talking with him about all of his new plans. You know, he's following in big footsteps from mister Torston Mueller Oatbos who was there for I think thirteen years, So Chris has got his work cut out from.
Speaker 2: But I'll never forget the first time I dro drove a Rolls Royce Ghost with Torsten.
Speaker 1: How did that go?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's my all time favorite car, so.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's my number one. Wow, the old one, the Ghost too, from the like twenty tens. All right, cool, that's all for us this week. We'll be back, same time, same place next week. I'm Matt Miller and.
Speaker 1: I'm Hannah Elliott. And this is Bloomberg