Speaker 1: What are we recording? Yeah, yeah, yeah, what the episode started? Now, I was, I was, I was going to say something something to do with Texas. But to be honest, you know, why, why why do we do this? Why do we let ourselves, you know, get famous for for for saying a particular bit and then just keep repeating it over and over again. Are we so creatively bankrupt that there's there's nothing else we can do but repeat our greatest hits in order to recapture some of the some of the the excitement that we felt as younger men. Anyway, my co hosts on this episode, James Stout and me along, welcome to it could happen here.
Speaker 2: Hi, rob It. I'm glad you're doing so well.
Speaker 1: We're all doing great. James, You've just been having a searing emotional experience at the border. Yeah mm hm. And everyone else is busy living in the United States, which is its own searing emotional experience.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: Today, today we're going to be talking about the both the most and least American state, Texas. Huzzah, Yeah, love you. Yeah, who here has spent a lot of time in Texas. Garrison, you lived in the Dallas area, right.
Speaker 2: A lot that I I've made my visit to Texas over the years with you, even in the murder House.
Speaker 1: You and I have quaffed many a shiner bock together, James Many. Okay, I guess we'll move into the fucking episode. So uh, there was a There was a an email sent out by Texas Democrats dot Org recently with the title Texas moves from solid red to battleground. Sure, you know, like clockwork. A lot of Democrats got very excited, and I made a couple of people made posts being like, hey, this is the same thing that happens every single election. They are never right. Texas is never a battleground and it always costs an insane amount of money. It is a con by DC political consultants to get your money and pump it into something that will fill up their coffers and not achieve anything of value for the state of Texas or for the Democrats nationwide. And this makes people very angry for two reasons. One, they tend to interpret it as saying abandon Texas and the people there, which is not the statement I was making or anyone else was making. And number two, everyone kind of obsessively starts pointing out like, look, look at how over the last thirty years, you know, the things have narrowed in Texas and the proportion of like Democratic votes is raised. This is winnable. We can do it. We can do it. We're going to talk today about why anyone who talks to you about flipping Texas as a political goal that you should give money to is conning you, and not only conning you, but making it actually more difficult for Democrats to win, both in Texas and nationwide. That's that's that's the premise of the episode, everybody.
Speaker 4: Here's here's how Bernie can still win. Though at the very end we will give you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, We're gonna let you know he's got a shot. Look, look if he if he is capable of putting another three rounds of six point five into a dinner plate sized target at one hundred and fifty yards, now that was a that was anyway, he'd have to shoot a lot of people to make.
Speaker 4: He's going to deploy bought a joy into a.
Speaker 2: Name, absolutely not.
Speaker 1: Person. So I want to talk about this because I find it, like I think people tend to interpret this. I've certainly gotten accused of like, oh, you're just kind of being like a nihilist. This is you're being you know, just an anti electoralist. You're not being practical. There was a there was one particular guy who's like a local Democratic candidate who responded seven times to my tweet being like with variations, and his obsession was like, if we win Texas, it's impossible for the GOP to win national elections, which is true. If theoretically the Democrats flipped Texas, the GOP would have no chance at winning a federal election ever. Again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so simultaneous to this, right, if the Republican there are more Republicans in California than there are basically any other state in the Union, and if the Republicans won California, they would they would win every election forever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, happen. Not going to happen. I mean, it's it's one of those things. I am not saying Texas will never be a blue state. You know, that is something that is possible, even likely, given enough time. What I am saying, the argument that I'm making here, and I'll provide you with evidence, is that number one, focusing on these elections from the top down and when you're saying, we want to flip Texas. That's a top down approach, right. You are not focusing on we want to fill up and win a bunch of different local elections. We want to flip, you know, the state houses. We want to flip a bunch of mayoralties and stuff. You are saying, what matters is how Texas votes in the national election. And if you were to get if you were to kind of eke out a bear like in Georgia right where you get a narrow victory in the federal election, that would be great for the Democratic Party. One of my issues with it is that kind of focusing obsessively on flipping Texas isn't focusing on the stuff that actually will help Texans, like Texans currently being targeted by the state government, because flipping the state in a federal election, but not taking the governor's seat, not taking the lieutenant governor seat, not like actually taking the state house, doesn't improve life for people in Texas. I think the kind of the degree to which the federal government, Biden's administration, has been unable to push back very effectively against kind of a lot of the shit that DeSantis has been doing in Florida. You know, they have started to make some attempts. Is evidence of this, and kind of more to the point, even if you don't agree with that, fundamentally, these strategies that the Democratic Party has embraced in Texas do not work. The Texas Democratic Party is incompetent. They are bad at their job. They are worse. People bring up Georgia a lot when I talk about flipping Texas, and folks are like, well, we flipped Georgia, And it's like, yeah, because the state elected officials and candidates in George number one, the state party did a much better job of kind of harvesting is a weird way to phrase it, but of incubating talent to run for election in a number of local offices then the Texas Democratic Party has ever done. And that was a big part of what allowed them to be competitive and eventually to flip the state. There's a lot of like kind of dollar sign information on how bad the state party in Texas is at this shit, and I guess I should go ahead and provide some of that now. So in the twenty twenty two election, the midterms famously an unusually good showing for the Democratic Party nationwide for a midterm election everywhere but Texas. O'Rourke ran against Greg Abbott. He lost by eleven percent. This is kind of to contrast the election that got everyone excited when he was running against Cruise. I think they were like three percent apart. And again, the only reason there was this kind of mistaken belief and excitement among dims that O'Rourke, because he was so close to Cruz, had a real shot of winning Texas. No, he got kinda close to beating Cruz because Ted even Republicans hate Ted Cruz. No one is ever liked that man. His own wife can barely stand to be in a room with him. His political allies would turn the other cheek if fucking somebody anyway, we shouldn't talk about political assassinations on this podcast. It wouldn't anger anybody though, right. Lindsay Graham has said that, like Lindsay Graham's like, what maybe the only good joke a Republican elected officials ever told is that if you were to shoot Ted Cruz on the floor of Congress and the trial was held in Congress, like nobody would vote to convict the murderer anyway. So Beto lost quite badly to Greg Abbott and beyond that, basically every statewide candidate that the Democrats ran lost in that election. It was a bad election for the Democratic Party and people who pay attention to Texas politics and actually like aren't just trying to like grift your donation money.
Speaker 5: Know this.
Speaker 1: Joel Montfort, a Democratic consultant in North Texas said, quote, it's been one election after another where we ramp everybody up and set these xpectations that we're going to finish in first and then we finish in second. I don't see any indication that we can win at state wide levels or won't continue to bleed house seats to the other party.
Speaker 2: I love these to finish in second.
Speaker 6: There is if there's like a podium on election libertarians. Yeah, the text Democratic Party to take the l to like giald Stein.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there were some kind of site. There were some wins by Democrats in Texas. They managed to hold onto two out of three seats congressional seats in the battleground regions in South Texas, but they still lost one. They did what they did, still lose one, and you know, the GOP had to spend a lot of money to do that. But like one of the one of the points is that so they they held onto two of those seats, and they won a contested seat in the suburbs of Dallas. Uh. And you know, like but basically in all of these areas, Uh, these were like super narrow wins, like these the big successes, and they were narrow wins in areas that Joe Biden had carried by double digits two years ago. And Joe Biden is a historically like that is part of some of them. Some of it will show you how bad the Texas Democratic Party is. Joe Biden is not a popular president, and the fact that he carried a lot of these areas by more than the candidates who narrowly won in twenty twenty two could is not a great sign for the way things are trending.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's probably also worth pointing out that like those southern Texas seats, like in the Rio Grande Valley, right, like, yeah, those people are normally Democrats. Yeah, but you have guys like Henry is it Quella Quala, Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, who is opposed to abortion rights are yeah yeah and extremely hawkish on the border, and like yeah, yeah, what do we gain by having like, yeah, blue team good, Like not really if this person's going to take away your bodily autonomy and brutalize people for coming to this country for one day about a life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's like a lot of the some of these wins are kind of like marginal at best, given the compromises or just given the kind of Democrats who can win it. It's like a Joe Manchin kind of situation. Yeah, exactly. And more to the point, like it's not only is this like evidence kind of that the Democrats strategy isn't isn't working. It's not simply that they tried something and it failed. They tried something and it was so expensive that it stopped them from trying things in other areas where the money could have gone better. For example of how fucking wasteful, particularly the Beto wort campaign was. Right, he loses by eleven points to Greg Abbot. He raised seventy seven million dollars to lose by that much. A few years earlier, Lupe Valdez ran against Greg Abbot. She spent raised like two million dollars and lost by thirteen points, So seventy five million dollars may have bought Beto two percent. You know, like if you assume that national trends had nothing to do with that gap closing by a tiny amount, Like.
Speaker 3: With seventy five million dollars, I could take control of a moderate at least is Texas City.
Speaker 2: Yeah that is like, yeah, I could buy my chunk of Texas specific Like you could purchase a large chunk of Fort Worth with that much money. No, yeah, that's how I'll go here at cools the own media.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, to own fort Worth. Finally my dream completed. I'll be able to be I'm gonna buy those horse statues that los kalitas. Finally be happy.
Speaker 2: Let's get blucifer as well. It's probably a good time to pivot to ads that help us pay for a piece of food.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, you know, who isn't a waste of money these fucking ads. So overall, we just talked about it. You know, Beto raised seventy seven million dollars. The gubernatorial race cost in total something like one hundred and forty million dollars, which is a huge amount of money for something that fails that badly and doesn't there's no evidence that Beto's campaign, like he was he's obviously good at fundraising, right, And there was kind of this belief among a lot of dims, an errant belief that this meant that he would be good for down ballot races. Right, He's going to bring the entire because of how much attention he gets. He's going to raise the entire Democratic Party up. The poor showing of the Democratic Party in Texas in twenty twenty two suggests that that's not the case. And the money like there are there are fights that could have been won and probably weren't because the money wasn't being invested in those fights. It was going to bettle. And I'm gonna quote from an article by the Texas Tribune here. This year, the party ran Rochelle Garza, a civil rights lawyer with little political experience, against Attorney General Ken Paxton, who was widely seen as the most vulnerable Republican incumbent. But Garza struggled to raise money or gain traction in Auric's shadow and lost by ten percentage points against Paxton, who has been indicted on felony security fraud charges and is being investigated by the FBI for abuse of office accusations. And it's what maybe she couldn't have won no matter what you did. But one of the rules of politics in this country is that the money you spend at a big race, like a gubernatorial race, like a like a like a Senate or a congressional campaign at the federal level, like a presidential campaign, goes less far per dollar than the money you spend in smaller local elections. Right, ten million bucks going into that election might have done something, you know, as opposed to seventy five million going into Bedo O'Rourke and accomplishing very little. This has been not just a problem in Texas in previous elections, throughout the Trump area and a little before in particular, this was a problem the DIMS had kind of from the middle of the Obama years until the last couple of like really the last midterm at twenty eighteen is when it started to turn around nationally, and the DIMS have learned a lot in other regions about like not spending stupid amounts of money on hopeless contests, but not like comprehensively. Example, in twenty twenty two, the second most expensive house race was the fourteenth Congressional District of Georgia, where Marcus Flowers raised sixteen million dollars and lost by thirty two points, not a great return on the investment. And it was like, the reason why he raised so much money is because he was running against Marjorie Taylor Green and nationally, DIMS outside of Georgia wanted to put in money because they hate her. And it's a trend that relies a lot on social media on kind of the way in which like hardcore dims, the dims that do a lot of the small dollar donations think about politics where it's like Marjorie Taylor Green bad donate money to opponent, Well, her opponent had no chance of winning in that district, Like no amount of money would have flipped that, and you just wasted sixteen million dollars that could have helped somewhere else. Like maybe that's an insane thing and it's not as bad as it used if you want to look at like the like the kind of the dumbest it ever was. In twenty twenty, so Lindsay Graham's seat was up in South Carolina and Jamie Harrison ran against Lindsay Grant and dims again because Lindsay Graham evil, you know, raised one hundred and thirty million dollars and he lost fight ten points. Amy McGrath lost to Mitch McConnell, who is another Like you can always get a shitload of money to fight Mitch McConnell ninety four million dollars lost by twenty points either of the like one hundred and thirty million, ninety four million, that's two state legislators. You could have flipped, or at least made progress on flipping, right, Like that amount of money could potentially do that or at least help set up, you know, get a couple of people elected who have a chance at kind of broadening a base of support and becoming you know, leaders in states that are currently like dominated by red legislators, Like there's a chance at least here.
Speaker 3: And that like specifically the state legislature. Thing is this has been a problem with the Democrats for fucking ages, which is that they just yet like it is only genuinely in the last years the Democrats are started giving a ship about state legislatures, like and this is this is one of the things from the Obama era, Like one of the reasons everything sucks so much is that the Democrats managed to lose, Like, oh god, I forget. It was like they I think I think the total they lost like a thousand seats. It was like yeah, and and and you know, on the we were seeing the product of this right like this like like Wisconsin was sort of just a hell hole for the last decade. Uh and you know, I mean like and these are like Minnesota to like the like there are lots of these states that like that, like not Minnesota or am I talking about Michigan?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Michigan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And there's a lot of these stats and you know, like and both of these places were winnable right, like like they're like the Democrats are winning there now, right, but they just like fucking left, like you know, they they they fucking left Flint to get poisoned by lead because they just not like the only the only things that the problem is there's there's no money for consultants in in sort of like downbout like state and like local races just just jack ship, right, and the Democrat the Democrat Party like is not run by sort of like it's it's not a party in like an actual real sense. It is a it is a collection of consultants, and those consultants only care about senates about Senate races. Sometimes they care about house races, and they care specifically they spend all of their fucking money in presidential races. And you know, it's like again, and the Republicans don't do that because they have a bunch of like people they you know, because they have a bunch of like part of their base, right is these like small and mid scale capitalists in you know, in cities, in rural areas who have like immediate concerns about like, you know, there's like there there are specific workers who they want like lives to be worse. And so because of that, the Republican machine is like seize the entire fucking country. And the Democrats have been sitting around like spending like a trillion dollars on Wendy Davis losing by twenty points.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And it's like you get these you get these like cases where you know, you're looking at thirty million being spent, you know, failing to uns seat Marjorie Taylor Green or somebody thirty three million something like that. But what you don't like, at the same time as like that's happening, is all of these massive amounts of money are being devoted to these, like to the races that get attention because there's famous names involved. You have, like in twenty twenty I think it was you have or no, it's twenty twenty two. You have the election between Ted Budd, a Republican against the Democrat Sherry Beasley in North Carolina where the Democratic Party decided not to prioritize this election because it wasn't winnable, and then Bud won up wound up winning by just four points. That's a seat you can flip with money. That's not an unreasonable thing as opposed to again, the races where it went to and people are losing by like thirty something fucking percent. And if you want to know who a serious candidate is, who is not just trying to do the sexy thing or not just trying to like again flip the states so that we can win the federal election, but actually wants to help their state. And this is again there's very nice things about Beto O'Rourke. I was in Texas during the ice storm. He did good work during the ice storm, like actual community defense kind of stuff that I do have some respect for. He is not and has never been a serious politician, and I will tell you why he went from winning an election to losing a state election against Ted Cruz, to losing a presidential race to losing the governor seat. That is so fucking scattershot. That is not building a base of power, That is not building from the ground up and like encouraging the growth of other personalities. You're just darting from whatever the sexiest and most like pr driven race is. That's not serious. I want to talk about what number one, the Democratic Party, the ship that like, as we've said, they're getting better. The National Party got a lot better at this, particularly in twenty twenty two. It was less stupid than the previous couple of elections had been.
Speaker 3: Really difficult to be more dumb than that. But you know it is British British labor et cetera, et cetera. Labor actually is the big one. Oh my fuck.
Speaker 1: I want to talk what has what has worked, and what I think could work again. And to do that, I'm going to talk about a guy named Howard Dean, who here knows who Howard Dean was? Garrison simply yeah a little bit.
Speaker 5: Have you?
Speaker 1: Have you all heard the video of him screaming that gotten like his career is before. Okay, well, James, would you load that up for us so we could play that in a second to the Deans. Coward, Jamie, pull it up. Howard. Howard Dean ran for president and was He was the first national political candidate to use the internet effectively to raise money in the in the history of US politics. He's kind of pre Obama. Worked out a lot of the strategies that Obama's people wound up using to very successfully raise money for him. He was really good at it. He was a reasonably intelligent candidate. And then he gave the speech that we're about to play for you, and it completely created his and ended him as a as a candidate. You know, I always says the thing about Dean.
Speaker 3: Dean is stunningly unlucky that he ran in the time that he did, because the clip you're about to hear is one thousand times less weird than anything DeSantis has ever done. Like he he ran in it. I mean there was there was dan Quayle, right, but like he ran in an era where like the seriousness and like non weirdness of politicians was so much higher.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's in the chat so you can.
Speaker 1: Up. This is a good shit straight to that beautiful scream.
Speaker 5: We're going to South Carolina and Oklahoma and Arizona.
Speaker 3: In North Dakota and New Mexico.
Speaker 1: We're going to California and Texas and New York.
Speaker 5: We're going to South Dakota and Oregon and Washington.
Speaker 3: And Michigan, and then we're going to Washington, d C. To take back in the White House.
Speaker 1: That's it. That ended his career as a candidate. And like it's a little silly, but that doesn't that doesn't that wouldn't be a twelve second news cycle today. But after kind of failing out as a presidential candidate, he became chairman of the DNC, the Democratic National Committee, and he was a pretty good one. His kind of primary strategic vision was what he called the fifty state strategy, which is, don't focus just on swing states, never write a state off at unwinnable. Instead, spread the money that the DNC has around two campaign throughout the country everywhere, particularly to fund local dncs, so that they can start building a stable of candidates that can attract voters and eventually win local elections. It's not like an easy It's not a sexy strategy because a lot of it is focused on like the slow, kind of grueling fight to build up a base of support and unfriendly terrain. But it worked like really well. Actually in twenty or so states, those that had voted solidly Republican in private previous recent presidential races, Democratic candidates like won elections that had previously like in the like gone against them like it had.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 1: There were about like twenty states where it the kind of slide to red was arrested and pushed back to blue. These are Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, West Virginia, and Wyoming. Special list of yeah, there we go. So basically, Deans strategy led to a net gain of thirty nine state House seats and a two percent increase of all seats in the states analyzed. They lost two, you know, state Senate seats net, but it worked great in the House and gained an attorney generalship, gained three House seats, gained a Senate seat, and in fifteen of the twenty seats the Democratic nominees on increase in vote share between two thousand and four and two thousand and eight, which was the years that so again not super sexy. These aren't like we flipped Texas suddenly, but it's like, oh, we started to see real gains and like a lot of pretty red states. Now it didn't work everywhere. It was not particularly successful in a large chunk of the South, like it did not arrest the slide into the red everywhere. But in a lot of the Midwest, particularly the states that were like the Hillary Clinton so called firewall that went for Trump in twenty twenty, it was extremely effective. And of course it got mixed immediately after Obama won election, and this is a big part of why in twenty ten the dims lost disastrously. But like the basic idea of we should be putting money into local democratic parties in order to like number one, have like a big part of winning any conflict, whether it's a war or a political election, is having the resources available reserves to take advantage of opportunities that present themselves in the moment. So you have a solidly read state house seat or judge ship or something like that, or governorship or mayor mayoralty, and a candidate has a health scare or has a scandal, you know, they get caught fucking a thirteen year old or something, and suddenly this seat that was solidly read is in play. And if you have no one who can like get votes, who can get voters excited, who can run for that, well, then you're probably not gonna win it. It's just going to like go to whoever the RNC you know, picks to pick up the seat next. But if you've got someone waiting in the wings, they have a chance at winning it. And a good example of this is what just happened in Jacksonville, Florida. Right you have DeSantis make go like lunge to the fucking most fascist end of the right and pass this abortion build that something like seventy five percent of the state doesn't like. And the Dims had a decent candidate there that was able to run against the Republican mayor of Jacksonville and win. And in that election, the dim spent two million and the Republicans spent nine million. You were not talking about the kind of resources expended that you're seeing in some of these dumb races we're talking about. So anyway, like this is most of what I wanted to get into. Is just like you can win and you can improve things in Texas and you can build a base from which to actually change things electorally in that state, but you can't do it by just like focusing on whoever is at the top. Like it has to be smarter. It's not just about shoveling money into a pit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And like I think there's there's a couple of things that wants to add. One was that like oh god, okay, Like so Tim Kye, Yeah, Tim Kaine got put in after they ran out Dean and Jesus, like Tim Kane might be is a is like a once in a generation terrible politician, like one of the worst, you know, but.
Speaker 1: Like like you would see ship like he is the Winston Churchill of making me bored.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, like like like you would see I mean, and this still happens, right, but like there are there are seats that are winnable that the Dems like just literally won't even bother finding people to run for because they're just fucking too lazy and they don't give a shit. And you know this this happens if this happens in a fucking lot of races, and you know, and part part of the other thing that that happens in this sort of period that like, you know, is the reason why the top down is okay. So this is like if if we're gonna actually do this sort of like complicated electoralism, like this is why Bernie Sanders lost two elections in a row, is that you can't actually like like actual sort of like substantive political change like doesn't happen from the top down. It's it's like it happens on bottom up organizing. And you know, the the democratic waves in like the last two years were basically like them eating actual social movements. It's you know, like they it's it's them basically like they're there. There's a sort of rejuvenated anti abortion movement that they just sort of consume. Right, They've been doing a very very good job of sort of like eating like whatever sort of queer rights like movements exist alive. And they had kind of stopped doing that for a while because they chose to just like destroy occupy whether rather than like try to co opt it. Yea, And you know, I mean there were reasons for that, right, but like part of part of the thing like if if you if if you're a Democrat and you want to actually like win Texas, you need to have like actual you to have actual sort of social movements that you know, the Democrats can eventually take over and destroy but in the time between they destroy them destroying them and then and you know, like like in the brief time while they both exist and are control by Democratic Party, that's how you actually sort of like build the kinds of the build the kinds of coalitions to build the kinds of organization that win these races. And the Democratic Party has just no interest in doing that like almost anywhere basically outside of Minnesota, where I don't know, those in the Minnesota devs are fucking built different. I don't, I don't, I don't know, I don't. I don't have another explanation for that, but like, yeah, it's I don't know, it's it's.
Speaker 1: It's like one of the things that you have the opportunity to do at the local level is and this is you know, this is a big factor in like, uh politics in Georgia. You've got people who are motivated because of a specific political issue that Dems are strong on, like abortion, and you can you can get people registered, you can get people out organizing, you can get people donating money, and more most important that you can get people voting and voting in numbers that they haven't before and make if you're able to kind of harness that sort of thing. But being able to harness that, again, part of it is this is not sexy. This is not something we can say this is going to flip a state in twenty twenty four. But putting in the money and the resources to have people who are being supported to go out and make attempts and to build like a reputation and a base of support and networks in the state. Like, that's the non sexy thing that the number one the Republicans are really good at. If you're asking yourself looking at all these horrible anti trans bills, anti gay bills, anti abortion bills, how do they do this well? Because church is organized at the local level to build up the kind of support and the kind of human infrastructure that allowed them to take advantage of the kind of broader social trends that drove some of those states more deeply read and that kind of like made made it possible for them to do things that ten years before people had said, like there's no way to make this happen. That can work on the left side of things, but you have to have the groundwork in They started with like school boards. Yeah, they started.
Speaker 4: They started with going after school boards, going after books. Then you get up base people riled up that you can go after healthcare for miners, and you can go after health care for adults. It was a very easy path, and it started by like going to the most accessible places to have public comment on issues, which was complaining about books inside of school Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah. And another thing I'd say about the church thing is like the thing that you used to do that for the Democrats was unions, but then they destroyed them all. And but you know, but like you can actually you can actually see what this looks like like in the places where something like this. This is why the state level Midwest Dems are so much further to the left than the Dems everywhere else, because like the people in Minnesota, the people in Wisconsin are like the the only reason they're even so remotely in power is because and you know, you're seeing this like at like in Chicago too with Brandon Johnson, is that like these those people are like functionally dependent on like that they're on their teachers unions to exist as like a political coalision. Yeah, and so you know, like like union organizing is a is a like we're just like fucking just giving money to a strike fund is even even if the thing that you want to do is win elections, that is a more effective way of winning of winning elections than fucking giving money to Beto Auroric like a seventh time.
Speaker 1: Yeah and again when we the thing I want to get across here is the right thing to do is not say, and no one is suggesting this here, fuck Texas. It can never be fixed. The right thing is saying, if you're focused on one famous guy running in Texas or this like top level thing of flipping Texas, you don't actually care all that much about the problems being faced by people in Texas because that's not really going to fix them. Right, Beto's not going to win. And even if Texas flips for an election, that doesn't mean the state legend your flips. It doesn't mean the governor flips. It doesn't mean that things get better for people doing these kind of bottom up approaches. Number one will eventually flip the fucking state. Right, there is a demographic trend happening. Part of how you flip the state, by the way, if you're actually responsible, is like proving that you can make people's lives better. If you want to flip the state. That's maybe more ethical than just being like, what if we dump one hundred and seventy million dollars to try to make this guy who goes viral on YouTube or Twitter sometimes look better? Right, maybe one of those is more ethical than the other. Anyway. I don't want to rant about electoralism anymore, but as a as a transplant in Texan, I get frustrated by this, so I felt like we had to say something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I also get frustrated by Better claiming to be punk, which is the least punk thing in the fucking whether that's a now repisode.
Speaker 1: No, we have one. We have one elected leader who's gotten anywhere close to being punk, and it was Bernie Sanders when he got into that cold book depository that November morning with a manliquor carcano rifle. Extremely punk.
Speaker 3: Anyway, cutting the feed here, it could.
Speaker 5: Happen here as a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool zonemedia dot com or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts, you can find sources for It could happen here, updated monthly at cool zonemedia dot com slash sources. Thanks for listening.