Speaker 1: There Are No Girls on the Internet, as a production of iHeartRadio and Unbossed Creative. I'm Bridget Todd, and this is There Are No Girls on the Internet. It's twenty twenty six, and Facebook is back in the discourse, this time because Meta is throwing everything it's got into AI, new products, new models, full speed ahead, no breaks. And if this sounds a little bit familiar, it should because the story of how Mark Zuckerberg got here and who got left behind, erased, or just plane lied about along the way, well, that's a story that hasn't really changed much. I sat down with my friends Samantha and Annie on the podcast Stuff Mom never told you to revisit a movie that we like talking about a lot, the social network, a film that somehow just keeps getting more relevant. We're digging into what that movie has to say about the misogyny baked into the founding myth of one of the Internet's most powerful companies, and also looking ahead to the sequel centered on whistleblower Francis Hogan's findings about how Facebook knowingly harmed women and girls. So, on the one hand, it's a conversation about a film that came out over fifteen years ago. But on the other it's also kind of a movie about everything happening right now.
Speaker 2: We didn't anticipate when this episode was going to come out, you know, we've been hinting at it for a long time, but it is coming out at a time where I think we need to take a fun break. I think a lot of people need that kind of fun break right now.
Speaker 3: I let's say it is a fun break, but at the same time, like, we're still going to talk about issues, but it's way too I'm like, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some things, yes, we are. Absolutely, it's a fun break.
Speaker 4: I guess for very I listeners will be like, oh no, well, I feel like the lens through using movies as the entry point to talk about things that are real or rough.
Speaker 1: I think is great because your brain is like, this is all fictional, even though another part of your brain is like, no, this is real. You get the I don't know it. I don't know if other people feel this way. It kind of lulls me into feeling like, oh, this is not scary or an upsetting even though it is real, because you've got that thin veneer of oh this is a fictionalized account.
Speaker 2: Yes, And as listeners know if you looked at the title, we are talking about the social network today. And I have to say to your point, Bridget, I kept when I was like just writing my random thoughts and notes, I kept referring to the like the like they were characters.
Speaker 5: I was like, Oh, then Mark did this or whatever.
Speaker 2: And it was so bizarre because I know that's a real person, Mark Zuckerberg out there, but I was referring to him as if he was like a character, which I do know.
Speaker 5: There is some.
Speaker 2: Debate about, you know, how dramatized this is, you know how accurate it is, But I did catch myself doing that several times.
Speaker 1: To me, Jesse Eisenberg is more Mark Zuckerberg than Mark Zuckerberg at this point, when I imagine Mark Zuckerberg in my mind, I'm actually picture picturing Jesse Eisenberg. That's how much he became Mark Zuckerberg. Or maybe is a Zuckerberg type. I don't know, but yeah, they're one and the same in my mind. I wonder how he would feel about that, Honestly, like when for the real Mark Zuckerberg that when I picture him, I don't picture the actual dweeb that is Mark Zuckerberg. I picture Jesse Eisenberg somebody who I actually like have a fondness for right, I think has a little bit has like charm.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think this movie was very kind to all of the ends visual people, totally character with the people that represented them. I was like, oh, is justin Timberlake sean totally totally Nope.
Speaker 6: I had a lot of questions.
Speaker 3: I Yes, like Jesse Eisenberg is definitely like endearing, seemingly like he has this persona.
Speaker 6: Of being endearing.
Speaker 3: So having an endearing person portray you did him favors. Even though from my observation of this movie, I was like, Okay, so what I'm understanding is Zuckerberg is an autistic could have been in Cell had he not had this route.
Speaker 6: Like that's the lot of what I found out.
Speaker 1: The way that massogyny and I know we're going to talk about it, but the way that misogyny bookens the film, and then is this thread throughout even you know, obviously with how Zuckerberg starts getting these ideas for Facebook, but even in ways that are not connected to the digital world. The way that these college campuses are sort of portrayed as like misogynistic meat markets where women artist commodities. I think the movie is trying to illustrate how like Zuckerberg didn't invent that, he just put it online and made it scalable.
Speaker 5: Oh, yes, we have so much to talk about.
Speaker 2: So I hope this is the first of a series where we do tech movies and we have these conversations. I know that you have some you've mentioned before, you want to talk about bridget but yes, I think this is a good one to kick it off with Social Network.
Speaker 5: So I'm going to give a brief.
Speaker 2: Rundown of it, and then I'll ask you if you can give a brief plot.
Speaker 5: Description of it.
Speaker 1: I sure can, I sure can.
Speaker 5: Excellent.
Speaker 2: So The Social Network was a twenty ten film based on the book The Occidental Billionaires, which was written by Ben Mezrick. It was directed by David Fincher and written by Aaron Sorkin, and it depicted the origins of Facebook, how Facebook came to be. So yes, we got Jesse Eisenberg playing Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg Andrew Garfield playing his friend business partner until they weren't Eduardo saveregn Justin Timberlake Sean Parker, the founder of Napster and a mentor to Zuckerberg and Armie Hammer as the Vinkelvos ten Twins, which I remember when this came out, I watched like a special on how they did his how they did the twins And if you noticed, one of them is usually wearing like a bandana or something and that's for the face scanning.
Speaker 1: Oh that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, this film was a critical and financial success. In twenty twenty four, the Library of Congress named The Social Network as quote culturally, historically or esthetically significant and inducted it into their National Film Registry of Note. A lot of people depicted in the film were very adamant that this was not an accurate portrayal of events. And I also just have to say, the kid from Jurassic Park who I had a crush on when I.
Speaker 5: Was a kid, was in this movie.
Speaker 1: Who is he?
Speaker 2: Dustin Moskowitz. He's the roommate coder. Yes, wow, I would be from Jurassic Park.
Speaker 1: I would have never picked that up. And also sign out of course he had a crush on that kid, I know.
Speaker 5: So me, Oh my gosh. All right, so Bridget, can you run down the plot for us?
Speaker 1: I can. So the movie opens up in two thousand and three with Mark Zuckerberg. He's a sophomore at Harvard. He has just gotten dumped by his girlfriend, Erica, who is fictional like the Erica character that we see that bookends the film is not based on a real person. He is at a bar with her. He's being very dismissive and condescending to her. She breaks up with him. He goes home, he gets drunk, and he writes a nasty blog post about her, and in a fit of bitter energy, hacks into the Harvard student directories to build a site called facemash to let people rate the female students in all the dorms against each other. He said that he was initially thinking about having the girls pictures next to farm animals, but then he decided not to do that. That is not fictional. That is a real quote from what a then college sophomore Mark Zuckerberg wrote. So he ends up making this site facemash. It's so popular that it crashes the university servers overnight, becomes a complete sensation, and it lands Zuckerberg in some campus disciplinary trouble. All of this hubbub catches the attention of the twins that you just mentioned before, Cameron and Tyler Winklbass and their business partner, who recruit Zuckerberg to help build out a plan that they had for a Harvard only social network that they were calling Harvard Connection. Zuckerberg agrees, there's definitely a dynamic where they are these tall guys on the rowing team, and Zuckerberg's this big nerd. You've got these big these these big strong men about town, like men on campus recruiting who are meant to understands like this, like kind of like mousey neurotic, you know, beta to use language that I'm sure that they have used amongst each other. So Zuckerberg ends up kind of besting these two. He just sort of he agrees. He takes their money to build the site, strings them along for months, doesn't do any real work, and then launches his own site that kind of has a very similar idea the Facebook dot com. The site explodes, Zuckerberg's best friend Eduardo becomes this co founder and puts up the initial money. Then Napster co founder Sean Parker, who is played by Justin Timberlake, breathes into their lives instantly, charms Mark Zuckerberg and gradually pushes Eduardo, who up until this point had been this like loyal friend to Zuckerberg ahough they did have some tension, ends up pushing at work out of the company while pulling Facebook towards Silicon Valley and toward Sean Parker and the investment of Petertiel. The whole story is kind of framed around these two simultaneous lawsuits, the Winklevoss twins suing Zuckerberg for stealing his idea, and Eduardo, Zuckerberg's previous best friend, suing him for pushing him out of the company and diluting his shares down to almost nothing. In the end, both cases and up settling. The movie, I said it starts with Zuckerberg having problems with a woman in his life. Well that in the sort of fitis and Caine reveal at the end of the movie is Zuckerberg sitting alone refreshing his ex girlfriend Erica's Facebook page, just waiting to see if she will accept his friend request, and she does not, And the irony is very clear. Facebook has five hundred million friends, Zuckerberg doesn't have a single one.
Speaker 5: I love the ending so much.
Speaker 7: It's so good because he's so sad and so alone, and he just keeps refreshing the page and it lingers.
Speaker 5: On that moment, it holds.
Speaker 2: And he has this conversation with Sean Parker. Sean Parker says, the reason I started Napster was because there was a girl I wanted to get her attention. She was with someone else, and Zuckerberg asked him, like, do you still think about her? Do you still think about that girl? And Sean Parker's like, no, but you've got Mark Zuckerberg.
Speaker 1: Who's still hung up on oh.
Speaker 2: She broke up with me. He tries to have that conversation with her later, like, oh, I made this website. I have you seen it?
Speaker 1: Maybe you've heard of it, and she's like, good luck with your video game. Yeah. That Sean Parker scene really stuck with me. He's like, oh, you want to know why? And then a Napster. The girl I loved in high school was with the captain of the lacrosse team, so I wanted to take her from him, so I started the next big thing. And he's like he's like, oh, I saw your your Face smash blog and Zuckerberg is like ooh, Like that was just me you know, playing the the trolls and basements online. But Parker is like, no, no, no, I wasn't dismissing it. I loved it. Like, isn't that what this whole thing is about? You know, this is our time? And I think, like it just really points to the ethos of technology being that gross, childish, toxic men with the misogynistic chip on their shoulder. And clearly for Parker it was not even about that girl. Really, He's like, I don't even talk about her at all. It was about the girl was just a a through line to make himself feel more important than this, like Jock on the lacrosse team who feels like best at him. And so I said that to say, you see how much of our current tech infrastructure is built by personal, deeply personal, animate and massagedy.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean that the whole idea that Facebook started. He in the movie at least he gets broken up with, goes straight home, makes this based on makes this being rating two pictures of two women. And then there's a scene that follows like a montage scene of a bunch of college dudes like laughing and rating the women.
Speaker 5: And then also there's a through line we're going to come back to.
Speaker 2: But of exclusivity and Zuckerberg really wanting to get into these private final clubs. Let me get it right at final clubs okay, which I don't know. They sound like great fraternities where you get haze and I guess they're really fancy and well known, but he really.
Speaker 5: Wants to get into them and does not.
Speaker 2: But so you have a scene of those final clubs where there's a bus picking up young women and the men are watching them like strip and kiss and all of this stuff. And then you have like shots of women seeing face mash and being like, oh, this is so pathetic, this is so sad. And then you see Erica kind of finding out Erica, the girl that broke up with him, finding out what she wrote about him and being mocked for it.
Speaker 5: And so I thought that was a really interesting.
Speaker 2: Like the way that montage breaks down of seeing how this plays out online, because Zuckerberg makes the point several times we're trying to put the college life online, but also how it is playing out in like in real life in college, like outside of the internet in college.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's the scene where that you sort of just decribed it where Erica is in her dorm and Mark, in his angry blog after she dumps him, says like, oh, she may seem like she's got a decent body, but she's getting a lot of help from Patting and Victoria's secret two guys bust into her dorm room to brake her about this, shaking bras at her, and I think it really shows like just a climate of casual massage, and these women are existing in both online and off. But once it's once that world is transferred to the digital realm, how it becomes super charged? Right? And you know Mark has this line in the movie where he says, what we want to do with Facebook, it's like building a finals club, except we're the president. Because in the movie you see both Mark and his friend Eduardo having a lot of like rivalry, intention and anxiety about whether or not they're going to get into the best finals club. That argument with eric at the beginning of the movie. It starts with her saying, you should try out for the easiest to get into club and he's like, what you think I can't get into the harder to get into clubs. And so, you know, I really think that idea that like what if we use the Internet to build a world that's all about the exclusivity and you know, gross parts of frat life, only we're in charge of it. Like that, I think that like that really is when I am on Facebook or x or Instagram, I feel like I he really did that really does nicely summarize. I think the tech landscape that we're all in now it's like a finals club, except it's run by people like Mark Zuckerberg. Yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, And he also has a line in the beginning when he's talking with Erica about so condescending, where he says, you know, you should really be more invested in this because I'm going to be opening the doors for you. Essentially, you're going to meet a lot of people because of me. And that just reminds me so much of a lot what is going on with her a lot of things, But in this instance, the tech industry is you know, you can women, marginalize folks, you can come in, but we're the ones going to open the door.
Speaker 5: You have to exist within our framework and with our within our rules.
Speaker 2: And I feel like we've just seen that at so many, so many lawsuits, like the lawsuit with Blizzard as one that comes to mind where it feels very like you can come in, but we can kick you out just as easily. You need to exist only for only in the way we think that.
Speaker 5: You should exist.
Speaker 1: And when we see the montage of all the different guys that are around, it's like part of me is like, these are the people she's meant to be thanking you for putting her around. These guys all seem like animals, you know, like these like drunk guys. We're like hooting at women to take their clothes off. I'm supposed to be like, oh, yeah, thanks for getting me into this world.
Speaker 5: This is what I've always wanted, right.
Speaker 3: I found it interesting because so this is my first viewing. I've never actually seen it. I've only seen like previews.
Speaker 6: Or like excerpts of it.
Speaker 3: So there was a lot of fascination because this is also putting me back into the beginning of Facebook, because I was in that era was I was at the beginning, remembering you had to be an edu. It had to be an EDU in order to register into Facebook to begin with, and it only really stuck with you in that university that that's the only way you could get into Facebook. Like I was in that era, So seeing all the beginning of this and then seeing the beginning of Silicon Valley and like, we didn't know what that meant at that time, as this was in the year of two thousand and five, by the way I found out I was older than Zuckerberg. Got that moment and I was like, I hate everything right now.
Speaker 6: I hate it.
Speaker 3: Like when you start like referencing timelines, I'm like, God, okay, fine, anyway, but seeing all of that, seeing it in unfolding and them not exactly with us, not exactly realizing what this would end to, but seeing this in an entertainment value. Also in the rhetoric of like Dawson's Creek era of monologues or dialogues that I was like, what is what is this?
Speaker 8: If that's a puling baby, Yes, it is like there Auray Nickmill days of dialogue and conversation and characters. I was like, Wow, Wow, this movie really is is What's the beginning of a whole new like subplot slash like ideals and plot lines that would become stereotypical now.
Speaker 1: It's so funny to hear you say this. I'm rewatching Dawson's Creek and boy do those kids make a lot of dramatic monologues in publics to each other. But that was Sorkin. Sorkin, I don't know if you ever watched The West Wing, which I loved, or The Newsroom, which is like a terrible show, but I secretly I've seen every episode and love it very much. But like them, Like in normal life, how often has someone stood up on a plane and made a dramatic grand standing speech. In Sorcin world, it happens like every other beat.
Speaker 5: Yes, it is kind of satisfied.
Speaker 6: Oh I love it.
Speaker 1: I love it. I'm such a sucker for I'm a sucker for so many of the Sorkin tropes. The speeches, the walking quickly while discussing something West Wing did that, It's just like, it's just like something in my brain. I'm like, yes, show me two people quickly strutting. They couldn't take a minute to discuss this thing standing or like, just get book time on my calendar, make have a meeting, No, we have to, We're so busy. You gotta like do a walk and talk. I love a walk and talk. Yeah. I remember when Facebook, so I was I was in college when Facebook became big. I remember when I started college before Facebook was invented, and I graduated when Facebook was a thing. I was a scene kid, an alt kid, so I was like a MySpace girl, a live journal girl, like if you were alt, those were your platforms when Facebook came. I remember the girl in the dorm next to me. She claimed to have been the reason why Facebook came to our college, because I think you had to like advocate for you at this time, after all the exclusive ivy's got Facebook, you had to advocate for your big public university to get it, like to have for Facebook to Dane to be there. And this girl who lived next to me was like, I'm the reason why Facebook came to East Carolina University. I remember thinking it was kind of passe and that my Space was where all the cool kids were because you could put music on your MySpace profile, like you could like customize your MySpace profile. And it's so funny how obviously MySpace did not have staying power. You know, my Space, Tom is not the like it's not meeting in the Trump White House and like disrupting our democracy. Not to say that my Space was all good, because it wasn't, but it's just funny how if I had to guess which one of these platforms would go on to entrench itself in power, it would not have been Facebook.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I had to look up because now that I'm like, oh, there was a there was a I guess a tier in how Facebook would allow who which universities. I had to look up my school. It was fairly late two thousand and four, two thousand and five. Wow, we were pretty early on and we were not IVY League.
Speaker 6: Because I had to look Uga. It was Uga, So.
Speaker 1: It's a really good school.
Speaker 6: It was a good school, but we're not IVY League. Come on, you like, come on. But like I was like, because I remember me, I think I started.
Speaker 3: I think I began my account in two thousand and five, two thousand.
Speaker 1: And six, Okay, I think my school was in the same I just looked it up and it said East Carolina University, where I'm to college, A much worse school than UGA. I mind, you got Facebook around two thousand and four, two thousand and six, so I would have been Yeah, that would have been like around junior and a senior year for me. That sounds right.
Speaker 2: I feel like I Facebook came out. I was never on MySpace. I wasn't on anything like that, so I just didn't join it, and my friends kind of got on it. And then in twenty ten, two thousand and nine. Oh, it had to have been earlier than that two thousand, I'd say eight, two thousand and eight. I when I went to Australia whenever that was, my friends made me sign up for Facebook so we could share pictures together. And I have to say that's pretty much what it's remained as this since then. It's just where I put some pictures sometimes.
Speaker 5: Now it's pretty much dead.
Speaker 2: That is another thing, And this is kind of a transition into one of the next things I want to talk about is it was fascinating watching this movie because now they have this whole conversation about how Facebook is so cool, we can't make money because it's so cool.
Speaker 5: That would ruin the vibe. Uh, And now it's like pretty uncool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it was, you know, tin, it was still pretty cool. But I wanted to talk about some of the the takeaways watching it now versus when like Bridget and I saw it.
Speaker 5: I saw when it first came out.
Speaker 1: Oh same, I was hyped for it, talked to the trailer remember the choral version of Rehabit its creep y'all know if if y'all weren't there, y'all don't remember. I was hyped for this movie. It was I was so that the trailer was so arresting. I must have watched the ex trailer half a dozen times. The tagline you don't get to five hundred million friends without making a few enemies. Like Annie and I were on the same the same way on this one.
Speaker 2: I would have never thought I would be at the theater to see it because I wasn't like big into Facebook or anything.
Speaker 5: But I saw that trailer and I was like that music, I gotta go.
Speaker 2: Which we are going to talk about the music later because the music is amazing, but yes, I just wanted to discuss and you know, Samantha. As a first time view it might be interesting, you might have some different thoughts. But it was weird watching it now, especially because we've discussed.
Speaker 5: And in several episodes. But the one that comes to mind that I didn't.
Speaker 2: Know about people show up that I wasn't expecting to show up.
Speaker 5: So Larry Summers.
Speaker 2: You talked about how Larry Summers. It's in the Epstein files he's a character in this movie. I forgot about Peter Cheele. I have to say I remember this movie pretty well. Maybe I just didn't know his.
Speaker 5: Name, but I was shocked with that.
Speaker 1: Name with tra fellow Epstein butt friend, it's like funny, like two different deep deep collect operators of Jeffrey Epstein in the same movie. You're portrayed in the same movie. Larry Summers, former president of Harvard and Peter Thiel. I do think so. I just recorded an episode of my podcast or artiicles on the Internet about Peter Thiel and his connection step Steene, and like it's just a good reminder how much of the infrastructure of technology and the Internet Peter Tiel has been has had his hooks in and hands in, you know, whenever you hear about something involving like extremist influencers or just just know that like Peter Tiel's got his grubby little hands in there somewhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was kind of interesting to see in this perspective of like we don't want advertising, we don't want to be that and cool, but we will take a big investment from a really giant corporation.
Speaker 6: That's okay.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I feel like that's one and the same and this is a weird compromise except for the fact that they was thought up by who.
Speaker 6: I guess.
Speaker 3: I'm assuming this was true, that Zuckerberg really did love Sean Parker that much.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, was that true?
Speaker 1: Okay? So I can I make a quick diversions. I just love that scene so much, The scene where Sean Parker, portrayed by Justin Timberlake, takes Zuckerberg and Eduardo out to dinner to talk about Facebook. The way that Zuckerberg just instantly is in love with Sean Parker and everything Sean Parker represents so quickly, and Wardo basically watches his friend just like become enamored with this man. It's almost sexual. There's a scene. There's a scene where Sean Parker has suggested to Zuckerberg to move his operations to California. Uh, and a ditch ed Wardo. Zuckerberg does that. In the scene where Parker is told this information, they share such a meaningful, charged glance it almost it almost seems sexual to me. I guess I'll just put it. I'm curious what you all thought.
Speaker 2: Okay, fan fiction note of the episode, I have to put it in here.
Speaker 5: I wasn't even looking for this. I was not looking for this.
Speaker 2: But apparently it's a pretty big ship to ship Eduardo and Mark from the movie.
Speaker 1: There's social networking, there's social network fan fiction.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, there's fan fiction for anything you can imagine. But it came up, and I was researching something completely different and it came up, and I was like, this must be a pretty significant ship for it to be mentioned in this random article. But I bet I didn't see anything about Sean Parker and Mark Zuckerberg shipping.
Speaker 5: But I bet he's like.
Speaker 2: The one that kind of ruins their relationship and then they have to get back together.
Speaker 5: Like maybe he's the.
Speaker 2: One that Mark is like a flame so attracted to that has to Yeah, I didn't realize this terrible you make it a scenario, right, Yeah, And as we see.
Speaker 5: Here, I've read this story with different characters. I can see what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I can see it too. No, I totally see it. And I remember when Trump was reelected there was this like micro moment where people talked about like Mark Zuckerberg having a quote like mask off moment, and I think the I think the social network pushes back on that framing because I think Mark Zuckerberg is not wearing a mask. He is the mask. I think that we see it in that scene with Sean Parker, how quickly he just becomes enamored. I think that, like people were like, wow, Zuckerberg really just fell in line with Trump. I don't think that's I think that Zuckerberg, when when somebody with power is standing in front of him, I think that he just falls in line. I think he's completely spineless, has no internal morals or values or drive of his own. He is entirely dictated by people around him. I think that's what Eduardo is seeing about his friend in like clearly in that scene with Sean Parker. I think we see it in how Zuckerberg falls in line with people with power today in twenty twenty six as well.
Speaker 3: It is interesting because you note that he is found. He finds everyone in his age range in Harvard in that area to be inferior to him, even though they are out doing him in ways, and that makes him even angrier, like Eduardo being more of money and getting invited into these final clubs when he is not seeing the Winkelvoss Twins, who have come out to be Oh no, the rowing people that he feared, because his girlfriend actually mentioned want to be with a rower. Like that was that catalyst of like, oh, let me screw these people over to show her these people are not better than me, like these this level. But then the one person who is super cool and against the systems, supposedly it compliments him. That's all he had to have in order to like crumble and be like, yes, let me follow your lead, because like he, like Parker, knew how to manipulate. Yeah, those desperate for that type of attention exactly, and.
Speaker 1: Like we see the way that Zuckerberg is so easily manipulated along the lines of his own insecurities. And in that scene I was describing earlier where Zuckerberg is like, oh, I only made face Smash to, you know, appeal to the trolls online, and Sean Parker is that no, like I thought face Smash was good. Barker tells him, you know, when I started Napster, I like the grown up us in the room wanted to take it away from me because I was one of those trolls. Like ik, he's using language that is like we our like those are our people, and now this is our time to rule. So I think you're exactly right, Samantha. That's such a perceptive point that, like the whole thing is about inverting who has power. Let's take then, let's wrote these like rich, not that Zuckerberg wasn't rich, but these like jock guys who get everything. Let's invert everything so that they don't have power, and we do. This is our time. The grown ups aren't running it, the jocks aren't running it. It is people like you and me, and that's who's running it. That's what we're building a system around. And that system is built on misogyny and personal animis and insecurities.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, And it reminds me of your current political climate. It's obvious how much is run by personal vendettas. It's not even being hidden of these men being like, you know what, you wronged me once, in my opinion, and I am going to remember this and punish you forever. One of the things I do love about the ending, though, is you know, even then, he's never.
Speaker 5: Gonna be happy. He's never gonna be happy. But something else that.
Speaker 2: I my mind caught on watching this, rewatching this now is the line moves fast and break things. And that reminds me of the conversation we're having about AI, because I was watching some interviews with the people who are behind those companies and they were saying like, oh, well, it's happening now, even though it's not ready, so we're just gonna put it out right now, and whatever the damages, we don't really care. So seeing that, and the music, which I cannot stress enough I love it is by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross from nine Ish Nails and it's like so droning and full of dread, but it also has like these melancholy, melancholy notes and it feels like what's coming. The music to me feels like this is happening, This is inevitable, whatever this is. And so I have this quote from IndieWire that I love. The Social Network is both a thrilling, queasy exploration of how Facebook came to be and a searing indictment of what it would inevitably become. Yeah, yeah, that is so true. And you know, remember this movie came out in twenty ten. In the twenty tens, we were still seeved in a certain kind of techno optimism, right, like we still had this idea, like I think that Google their motto was still don't be Evil, a model they would later officially drop. I guess their motto is like a little evils okay as a treat but you know, I.
Speaker 1: Think that this treaty you can have a little you know. This movie, I think, really just cut through and gave us a different peak at what ultimately would be the future. I think a lot of a lot of media about technology and the climate around it was very positive at this time. I think this movie came in it was like, actually, the reality is gonna be something a little like that sounds like a melancholy Resnor score. It's not gonna be that positive. Actually, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And one of the things you said that also stuck out to me and I found interesting reading reviews about this movie from twenty ten was that there is this idea of you know, we're the ones in power now, we're the ones making decisions, were the ones deciding who comes into the club, what have you? And there is a very kind of like nerd versus athlete vibe. And I love Erica's line where she says, You're going to go your whole life thinking people hate you because you're a nerd, but it's actually because you're.
Speaker 1: Not all time iconic C line.
Speaker 2: I have to say she handled that fantastically, that whole breakup scene.
Speaker 1: She says the kind of thing that you wish you could say in your head, and she actually says it that that's a line that would haunt me until I would be thinking about this somebody laid some like that on me. I'd be thinking about it on my deathbed.
Speaker 5: Yes, absolutely, oh so good.
Speaker 2: But what one of the things that stuck out to me of watching this now, And there's a quote I can never find it. I believe it was a John Oliver stand up bit, but he was basically saying, like, nerds, stop being so angry.
Speaker 5: You inherited the earth.
Speaker 2: You're like, I, I don't know why you're still having all of this rage when you're the ones that are controlling so many spaces and making so much money. So that was kind of interesting to watch because a lot of the reviews at the time were saying that this movie was very anti nerd, and I didn't get that take at all. I thought it was, if anything, sympathetic to Mark Zuckerberg, like not too sympathetic, but more sympathetic than you would think.
Speaker 5: I didn't think it was anti nerd.
Speaker 2: I thought it was like, look at this poor guy, can't get any friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean Sean Parker is like the nerd king in this movie who sleeps with Victoria's secret models, always has drugs, always has young probably kutn't it close young women around. That's actually based in some rumor that is not fictionalized. I cannot confirm or deny, but you could do your own research there. But then in the end, he also is somebody who cowers when Eduardo like goes to punch him. He somebody who has lots of allergies and asthma, like the movie, I don't. I think the movie is trying to show a more complex portrait. I do agree with you that it's that it's sim that it's a more sympathetic, complex portrait than just like the nerds are bad, the Nerds aren't winning, the nerds are rich, the nerds control everything. The nerds are building their tech infrastructure, Nerds and all the power, and they're also pathetic. Like, I think that's what it's trying to say.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I agree, I think the I guess it's the lawyer at the end, I feel is the most sympatheticic. Otherwise I wouldn't noticed it at all. But when she's like, you're not an apple. You're trying so hard to be a same But maybe he is. Maybe he feels like he has to be.
Speaker 1: And you know, you put something in the outline that I hadn't thought about before. How in the movie the only person who is trying to get in the way of this meteoric gross at all costs is Eduardo Zuckerberg's good friend. And I do think it, Like I just I know how we treat people who are moderating voices, people who are like, let's pump the brakes, let's do more research. Here's research that I did showing that this thing is harmful. How tech spaces deeply marginalize and silence at best those people. At worst they do like that's the best. Typically, the best case scenario is those those voices are silence, are marginalized. And I think we see it in Eduardo. I think we see the voices who have anything other than move fast, break things, balls to the wall, do what needs to be done when all costs, Like anybody who might present any kind of challenge to that Ethos is quickly labeled as as a hostile enemy.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it reminds me of a lot of the conversations we've had about guardrails with Ai and Eduardo kept being like, you know, maybe.
Speaker 5: Is this legal.
Speaker 2: We've got to see some desist letter, Like maybe just having all these concerns and being completely dismissed, which I have to say, in the movie, at least Zuckerberg does not listen to anyone but Sean Parker, I suppose.
Speaker 5: But he just doesn't listen. He's just like on his own wavelength.
Speaker 2: But it did reminded me of how we've seen that in tech time and time again. Let's just don't worry about that. We don't need to care about that not listening.
Speaker 1: Like I just supported recently on the scores of global women's groups and advocates begging Mark Zuckerberg and Meta not to put facial recognition techology in metaglasses, basically saying we already know from all this reporting about how metaglasses are already right now being used to harass a rail and stock women. Right, that's going that's on, that's happening now. If you add facial recognition technology. You are going to supercharge this, this is going to be you are going to be making it so much more dangerous. And like, first of all, obviously like I don't even I don't even think that you would need to be a researcher to show that, but just the way that, like I've seen this movie before, they're they're gonna do it, and then they're gonna be like, Oopsie, we didn't know, like we need to like and it's like, no, you did know, you just didn't listen. You did know. You just decided to do it anyway because you saw a way to make more money and get more power. So yeah, I think I think we're just seeing the same dynamic with Eduardo and Guardrails in the way that Meta moves today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that relates to something else that stuck out to me in this movie is when Sean Parker says privacy is a time gone by, which felt so strange because that was in twenty ten.
Speaker 5: That was such.
Speaker 2: A different time when it came to that, when it comes to privacy and now here because he's saying it more in the sense of he was very paranoid. People are following him, you know.
Speaker 5: Somebody planted the cocaine. It wasn't mine.
Speaker 1: How the cocin in there?
Speaker 5: Do you think it was Eduardo.
Speaker 1: Or maybe it was Zuckerberg, I don't know. At the end, they make a very compelling case.
Speaker 2: Yes, I agree, But you know that idea of Zuckerberg hearing this person he idolized, having this, you know, privacy as the time gone by, they're going to be trying to destroy you, trying to find anything to destroy you, and then him having this company that just erodes all of those privacy protections for everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it erodes privacy pet and figures out a way to turn people's data into a commodity that they benefit from and profit from. Like the scene early on when somebody comes up to Zuckerberg and he's like, do you know if so and so from your such and such class has a boyfriend? And he's like, it's not like people wear a sign around their neck that says single or married or taken or interested. And he's like, oh, wait a minute, I should invent that, and then I would profit from it. Like privacy. I agree with John Parker's assessment, like privacy is dead and people like Mark Zuckerberg and John Parker have figured out a way to cash in from the intimate parts of people's of who people are, like it's dead because they broke it to make money off of it.
Speaker 3: I did find it interesting because they try to portray Sean Parker as if he was just completely paranoid about these are the.
Speaker 6: Things that are happening.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, actually, now that I'll look at it, if I'd watched it then I would have thought he was paranoid. Watching it today, I was like, no, it was probably true.
Speaker 6: Part of that was probably true. They probably really were watching you, to be honest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think he was beating I mean cocaine does make you paranoid.
Speaker 6: I think he wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he's I don't think what's the Xiles quote? Like, it's not paranoia if they actually are out to get you with that.
Speaker 3: It like looking back knowing where we are today, without like twenty ten, I would have not guessed this is where we would be, like this is a sixteen years down the road of like, wow, this is progressed in such a way, and looking up Sean Parker because I was like, what's he up to today? Turns out he's an AI Yeah, Like, I'm like, he really jumped into everything. He jumped into Spotify, he jumped into all these things knowing that Yeah, like he knew things were coming and he understood the groundwork. But seeing all of this from that perspective to this and then also linking to them, like were they all on the Epstein list? Yes, because that group knew who these kids were going to be at that time and who was going to be able to control what. On top of when they had that conversation about Victoria's Secret, I thought that was a really interesting tidbit, not only because like they were marketing off of like the bodies of women, but because this corporation took something and made it be like not a big deal into something giant that grew into this network that became really insidious behind the scenes, and they're all linked together.
Speaker 6: It's such an like mind blowing moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, seeing that, say the past, speaking of Victoria's Secret, the person who was briefly mentioned at that scene when Parker is talking about Victoria's Secret, Lex Wexner. Guests who le Lex Wexner gave a significant portion of his operations to run Jeffrey Epstein, including limited to a tween girls store. So when you talk about the ways in which these guys really did design what it meant to like this like what what my girlhood felt like looked like what I existed in. That's I mean, like, I mean, I cannot overstate the level to which exactly as you said, it is a connected network, like you know, your Teal's funding it, Jeffrey Emstein's funding it. Plus it's like it's like they're all connected. And you know when people say things like oh, we need to like you know, like all of this toxic stuff is baked in. This is what we mean. In my opinion, there is no reforming this. We need to the only way, like we got to tear this system down because all of these things are built in by intention from the very beginnings. When I say that, I feel like sometimes it sounds like, you know, just a grand stand, but this is what I mean. I mean it very literally, like.
Speaker 3: When you look at the names that are being dropped and you look at the circles that they are in, how they brought people in, who invested what to create this thing. Literally they have Victoria's Secrets, where they have the models, where these models are kind of filtered out to these young people who were like I've always dreamed of dating a model like it came like came into a network of like what is happening On top of the fact of creating young girls mindsets with these companies like Little Limited To, Abricom, Briam Fitch and Victoria's Secret, we were very heavily influenced by what this was femininity and this was also being a successful woman is to be in these types of clothing, to look like these types of people. That was created by groups that also funded this and are who are now in charge exactly.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Another thing that we've been meaning to talk about this in an episode for a while.
Speaker 5: I don't think it's news to anybody, but is the kind of.
Speaker 2: You know, the male super genius who is an that you have to let him be in it because he's a super genius, but.
Speaker 10: Not always like a lot of times, there's a lot of mythos of that, and even even if there isn't, I just don't think we should allow assholeary.
Speaker 2: Against like people you work with, people who work for you, just because you are a genius.
Speaker 1: This is one of my biggest pet peeves in media. How often you have normalized the idea that if somebody is good at something, they get to treat others like crap, and that, oh, well, treating people like crap is actually why this cool thing happened. No, you can make good stuff without you don't have to be an asshole. And I and it's also very gender, because the research is very clear that we're much more likely to tell men that they are geniuses and then women. And so it's like who gets to who gets to like who gets the runway to treat people like crap? And then it's just fine if the thing they're making is important, or it makes a lot of money, or it's a really good movie or really good show. You know, I agree with you, Annie. I think that we've had so much media portraying, you know, these delicate male geniuses as people who shouldn't be allowed to do whatever they want if it means that they build things that are good. I don't agree. I think I think that's a I think that's like that that sentiment has done a world of bad even if perhaps it is like also maybe like lent itself to like a really good movie or something or a really cool platform.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also a lot of these uh tech companies don't actually make money ever, haven't made money yet.
Speaker 1: So but we're like, oh, yeah, no, he's a genius.
Speaker 2: He knows and I'm like, does he I don't know, we should be giving him that.
Speaker 5: Like blank blank check.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 9: Oh.
Speaker 2: One of the other things I just briefly wanted to touch on is does succeeding in a capitalist economy at this level necessarily involved back saving your friends or using people only for what they offer you. Because I feel like Zuckerberg in this movie is very much I can use you for this and then I'm going to drop you. I can use you for this, and then I'm going to drop you. And he has this whole he wants to be cool, he wants Facebook to be cool and exclusivity vibe.
Speaker 5: But I don't know.
Speaker 2: There was just something about how I saw that in all of his relationships, whatever they might be of you know what, I'm going to get what I need out of you, and then I'm going to drop you because Facebook is my life and that's it.
Speaker 1: He certainly did it to Cheryl Sandberg in my opinion. You know, Cheryl Samberg came on as the first ever coo at Facebook. She came on at a time when there was a lot of bad press, a lot of bad behavior, a lot of wrongdoing, and the sense was, oh, we were bringing in a woman to sort of be the adult in the room for Mark, and Mark got a lot of cachet out of that of like, oh, well, don't worry about my erratic decision making and erratic behavior and like bad business practices. There's a woman around who is supposed to be helping. When when Caryl so like she came to Facebook with like so much fanfare, she wrote lean In it was like the book that was supposed to be the defining book of like what it meant for women in the workplace, YadA, YadA, YadA. Cut to her leaving Facebook with hardly even a peep. There was like very little fanfare. And then in the earlier in the early days of a second Trump administration, Zuckerberg completely threw her under the bus. He met with the Trump administration and said, oh, yeah, all of that content moderation and fact checking and diversity stuff, I wasn't into any of it. All of that stuff was Cheryl Sandberg, you know how women are. And there was a little bit of like her dark arts where she were like he made a Facebook post about like, no, actually we respect Cheryl Sandberg didn't walk back any of the things that he said about all that stuff being quote her fault. But it just goes to sho like he is somebody who will when he needed to signal to people that the company had a woman in charge who was a grown up who was moderating him. Cheryl Sandberg was his ride or die. When the tide turned and Trump wanted, you know, there to be less diversity, less inclusivity, less guardrails, he threw her under the bus so quickly. And so I think if you asked Mark Zuckerberg that you should be using people only for what they offer you, and people who are in his orbit should understand that that runway is very short. That is that what I believe I think that you I if he wants to be cool. I don't think ditching your friends is cool. But I also do think like I'm not even really sure how to describe this, but like we are in a time today where acting like this has been rebranded as cool. When I was coming up, the cool kids step by their friends. The cool kids had values, they had morals, they had backbones. I think today what we've repackaged as cool and sold it to a generation of young men and boys is you are a lone wolf. You are in alpha, money over everything, your success over everything. You are not part of a community. You don't even need to think about stuff like that. The only thing that matters is cash and power, and so like, I guess I hate to say it, but I feel like Mark Zuckerberg was kind of on the upswing of this wave of that new sentiment that I do think is very is very an commonplace today. I guess. Does that make sense, Yes, I completely agree.
Speaker 2: One of the things I was thinking about when I was rewatching this was, I think the first because you can, you can like join Facebook and not know who Zuckerberg is, especially in the early days, so I didn't know who he was. But I think the first time I heard about him was some news piece about how he I don't know, or sandals at a meeting and like war t shirts, and it was like, Oh, he's changing the game, and like it was such a look at him.
Speaker 5: He's a maverick, and that has stuck. I was thinking about how.
Speaker 2: You know, in Silicon Valley now it is kind of the the office has got a slide, and like it's a very the impact he had. I think of that mentality of that kind of I'm an I'm a lone wolf, I'm an alpha. I think has had a really lasting impact, and you can see it reflected in a bunch of other companies.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, And I think it's important to note like who kind of gets away with that, because I don't think if I if I if like a founder that looks like me rolled in wearing a bonnet, I think they might feel very differently about it. But even look at people like Elizabeth Holmes, she very intentionally styled herself to look bad like she this is a known thing. She intentionally styled her hair to look undone, to signal to people like, Oh, I'm the kind of founder that's way too busy focused on my business to worry about things like brushing my hair or proper hair care. And so you see how like this just becomes another piece of artifice to build your mythos around. Like that scene where Zuckerberg shows up to a hearing in pajamas or something, or like sweats. I think it's like it just becomes they're, they're, they're they're like, oh this is my I'm miss being my authentic self, but not really, You're actually using this as a kind of artifice or costume to signal something to others about you. So like it's not even any more authentic than somebody who wears a suit to signal that they're a professional. You know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because this whole thing was like I'm breaking through rules.
Speaker 2: I'm not a Mavericks exactly, but you're not really breaking through.
Speaker 5: You are the whole thing now, Well.
Speaker 6: He also had to make sure he had to some.
Speaker 3: The authority in some way and like me, like his whole speech about I'm not paying the dangest to you. I'm giving you the minimal attention that I have to because i'm here. But understand, I don't want to because I think you're irrelevant. I think this is irrelevant. As well as the way he dressed. This is not this is all for show and I'm better than y'all. Like this is that continuation of having to prove himself beyond his like making sure that he's meeting his worth and meeting their worth, and he needs them to know where they stand because he's so insecure, like this level of understanding of who he is because he has to establish himself somehow and this is the only way he can have power.
Speaker 1: We still see it today hearings when when Zuckerberg is like called before senator or Congress for inquiries and hearings. I think that it is that exact personality dynamic where I'm better than you, I don't have to answer to you. I have seen him try to moderate that because that I think that really is who he is. He really does think that he's better than everybody, smarter than everybody, should not have to Why should he have to answer to anybody? Why should he have to answer about people that he's harmed, women and girls that he's harmed. Why should he Why who are you to be asking him questions? You know, you're just a senator. But seen I've seen in hearings, in my opinion, him trying to moderate what I think is his natural inclination toward disdain for others.
Speaker 6: Yeah, on his side.
Speaker 3: Note there was a random moment of like that popped up. As an Asian person, I'm gonna as an Asian woman specifically, I want to very much notice this because in my mind, I thought Brenda Song, who plays one of the girlfriend in the character Edward's girlfriend, I thought she was actually the wife that Mark Zuckerberg eventually marries.
Speaker 1: Oh, Sean Zuckerberg.
Speaker 3: Yes, I had no idea who she was because I've never seen the movie. I just knew there was an Asian woman in there, and I really thought this was going to be the revelation of like his wife.
Speaker 6: But then the conversation.
Speaker 3: Came in about how Asian girls who can't dance like nerdy Jewish boys, they are like attracted to each other, and then all these things that I was like, Oh, what is happening, And then knowing later on that Mark Zuckerberg does have an Asian wife that I'm like, there's something odd in this conversation. I don't know what Sorgan was thinking and putting this specific scene and then predicting.
Speaker 6: Like you get married to this Asian woman.
Speaker 3: Who, by the way, is this philanthropist as well as a pediatrician.
Speaker 6: Like, what the hell?
Speaker 1: I'm so good he brought this up. And I feel like the movie is trying to say something or do something as it pertains to Asian women. What are your thoughts on hal Asian women are portrayed in this film.
Speaker 3: Well obviously between her being super crazy as he notes and she sets fire to his bed essentially h and then also that they are so fetishized by a whole community, which I had gotten that line from a Jewish dude one time that tends that to me. I kind of was like, what, I've never heard this? Is this your pickup line for me? Because I gotta go like this. It was a weird moment. But now that I've seen this movie, I'm like, oh, maybe that's where he got it from.
Speaker 6: I don't know. But all of that to say is like it felt very much like in.
Speaker 3: This realm of worlds like there is first of all, women are not respected in any way. There are secondary characters. Obviously at the Secretary we saw that with a girlfriends with the groupies as they called them, and then with a girlfriend like all of these things, and even Anne from partson Reck was.
Speaker 1: Her real name, Rashida j.
Speaker 3: Jones, Thank you Rashida Jones, even her placement, even though she was a little more significant. They were all their secondary characters to fulfill this narrative that the men were all in playing for power. That it was interesting, of course, like there would be a fetishized person but immediately had to be an Asian woman, and I felt like it was targeted, but I get like I can't really grasp it, but I obviously very much noted it.
Speaker 1: That was my sense to Honestly, as much as I love this movie, I think the movie. I think the movies handled the thread of race only really like like other than Asian women like racist. I mean, race is present because they're all like upper across white folks, and it's certainly very exclusive to non whites, but the only real way that race is handled is through these Asian women. And I think it was a little clunky, Like I think, I think that like they're going for something and I don't think it was fully explored, so just comes off this like what are they trying to say here?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: It really was like that very throwaway line, the very throw away characters that it was just kind of like what is what is Is this supposed to be a joke in this movie at the expense of these women?
Speaker 5: Well, I yeah, and I wasn't. I didn't know that about Mark Zuckerberg.
Speaker 2: I actually was going to ask about his current relationship status to bring up a Facebook term I didn't know.
Speaker 5: It is interesting to me that that was the thing that when.
Speaker 2: He heard Justin was the one who asked, you know, do you know that if this girl is single? That's when Mark had the idea of like, oh, we'll add relationship status and that's when it's done. Yeah, because yeah it is. I mean, that is a big part of college life. But just to go back to that hole, this was rooted in misogyny.
Speaker 3: But it's also interesting because they also hit on the point that they became descriptors the Facebook me.
Speaker 6: Facebook me called like I'll friend.
Speaker 3: You, Like, yeah, I were so excited about that, and then also that whole like why is your as single? And that was just a big deal at the beginning of Facebook, like to say your Facebook official.
Speaker 6: Yes, it's relevant, it was relevant.
Speaker 1: Did you ever do the thing where you became like, I'm like in a relationship with a friend of yours or a buddy of yours for some reason, I don't.
Speaker 3: Say, but it's complicated. One, yeah, I'm going to see what it would do.
Speaker 1: You did. It's complicated.
Speaker 6: There was no one there. It's complicated. I'm single.
Speaker 5: Hey, that's fair.
Speaker 1: It's actually not complicated. But yeah, but yeah, no, and did you do this, Bridget did you do Oh yeah, this was like I don't know why, it was like you would you would become in like a complicated you could because like you can also tag a friend or will be like Bridget Todd is in a complicated relationship with such and such, like I would do that with my friends for some reason. I don't know why. Don't even ask me why. But like to your point, I do think. I think the movie. One of the undercurrents of the film is how just how much of just like you were saying, Sam, the how we understand and talk about digital relationships and behaviors was started by Facebook. Like this is a small a small scene, but it really stuck with me. While all the lawsum stuff is going on, Zuckerberg is still in school at Harvard and he's trying to prep for an art history final, and he does it by starting a Facebook group as an with an alias, posting pictures and then asking people to comment. And he's like, oh yeah, I just pop in every now and then and leave an insidiary comment to stir the pot, to keep the conversation going. And I feel like that really mirrors our current tech landscape where you know, insidiary content gets better engagement than other types of content. Bots and like conflict entrepreneurs are able to just like manipulate people into giving engagement to these platforms and just you know, putting money in people's pockets. I'm like, it's such a small thing, but that one little seed would go goes on to be a significant part of the experience of being online today in twenty twenty six, which is fascinating to me. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, side don't I don't know if your colleges were like this, but the one I went to were very clear that if you invented anything at the college while you were a student, they owned it. So really, yes, absolutely, so that makes sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, people came up.
Speaker 1: The only thing, I mean, the only thing that came I mean, I invented some unique ways to smoke weed out of devices and some interesting water pipes. East Carolina University. Oh no, oh no, I'm interesting. Paraphernalia and other devices for debauchery were definitely invented, but they got the rights. No, Bridget.
Speaker 2: I'm curious, just briefly, because I know you have worked with Facebook. How is it watching this movie as somebody who's kind of worked with them.
Speaker 1: Oh, what a good question. I would say much so, like my work with platforms was like meeting with them and being like, your platform is harming women in XYZ kind of way. There's a better way to do it. What do you say some platforms would be more of a steptive than others. I would say Facebook was. Actually this was before Elon Musk bought Twitter. Now Elon Musk or ex Is definitely the world would be the worst. But like back then, I would say Facebook was the most challenging because all of this stuff is really entrenched. Like they would take the meeting, they would like listen to the presentation and all of that, but like nothing really ever got done, And I guess it was. I don't want to sound too cynical, but I do believe that, like Facebook is a platform where they're just not They're just they just don't think about this kind of stuff the same way that you. I don't think that they you know, and like when you take taking it back to the way the company was founded in the origin, it's no surprise that they are so hostile to even the implication that their platform should be a place that is not hostile to women, Like I think that like, it's not. It's just not terribly surprising to take it back to the origin and be like, oh, yeah, well this is the this is like their bread and butter. Why would they want to make a space that's not hostile to women?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: Right, Well, we could go on and on. I know, are there any like final thoughts you wanted to share?
Speaker 1: Bridget Well, I'm really excited about the sequel, Yes, the Social Reckoning. I did read this, so I've been calling it a sequel, but I read that Sorkin has described that as a companion piece rather than a sequel, and it's I do feel like the Social Network is the seed that was planted. We're like, hey, these guys are all massive misogynists, and I'm hopeful that the Social Reckoning will be like the flower that blooms because it's really, according to Sorkin, it really focuses on Facebook whistle blower Francis Hogan, who we know revealed so much about how Facebook knowingly harmed women and girls based on the twenty twenty one Wall Street Journal expose the Facebook files, And so if the Social Network is like Zuckerberg really was a misogynist to his personal animists and difficulties with women led him to build Facebook. I am hoping that this movie is like and here's what that meant. Here's what that means for your daughter, Here's what that means for your the women and girls in your life today.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I when you told us that that was the topic they were going to be handling, I was like, Oh, that's gonna be intense. You're definitely gonna have to come back for that, Bridget when we have our reactions, Oh.
Speaker 1: Yes, go ahead and put it on your calendar. So the movie's coming out in October, so I will be back.
Speaker 5: Okay, perfect, perfect, Well, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: This was so much fun. I can't wait to continue this series. We'll come up with a good name for it. But you know, movies about tech. It's gonna be fun because this also was kind of the start of like a lot of the shows and movies around Silicon Valley.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So there's a lot for us we could tackle.
Speaker 2: But in the meantime, Bridget, where can the good listeners find you?
Speaker 1: You can listen to my podcast. There are no girls on the internet. You can find me on Instagram at Bridget Marine DC and on Threads also at Bridget Marie DC Bank Buckerberg.
Speaker 2: It is always so strange, isn't it when we do these episodes and then at the end of yeah.
Speaker 5: You can find me on there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much, Bridget listeners. If you would like to contact us, you can. You can email us at Hello at stuff I Neever Told You dot com. You can find us on blue Sky at mom Stuff podcast, or on Instagram and TikTok at stuff I Never Told You for us on YouTube, we have some Merchandisicom Bureau, and we have a book you can get wherever you get your books. Thanks as always for help this week from Casey and to our executive producer Maya, and thanks to you for listening self. And Never Told You is production by Your Heart Radio. For more podcasts from My Heart Radio, you can check out the Appeart radio app Apple Podcasts, or where you listen to your favorite shows.