Speaker 1: Bloomberg, Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Another week, another title weight of AI news, major investments.
Speaker 3: The Disney story, a billion dollar investment from this iconic from the House of Mouse in open AI.
Speaker 2: And some significant share drops.
Speaker 1: Oracle sank fourteen percent.
Speaker 3: Investors are worried about whether all the money Oracle is spending on AI technology will pay off.
Speaker 2: There's an enormous amount of money flowing in and out of the AI industry right now.
Speaker 4: It's just such an all encompassing, all pervasive theme.
Speaker 2: Suzanne Woolley covers personal finance for Bloomberg.
Speaker 4: It's what everyone's talking about, It's what everyone's worried about.
Speaker 3: We've heard a lot of promise, but not a lot of actual revenue coming from the companies that are spending so much on building out AI. If a few of these big AI hyperscalers have a bit of a hiccup, we could see a lot of the other market taken down with them.
Speaker 2: Every few weeks, Suzanne asks experts to share their advice about where people should be investing their money. And right now, you'd be hard pressed to find a company or a sector to invest in that isn't AI exposed.
Speaker 4: It's a little hard for me to think of a pure investment where AI wouldn't at least be embedded in the operations of a company.
Speaker 2: So Suzanne and I called up some investment experts to help assess when, whether and how to bet on AI in the most strategic way possible. Because things are moving quickly, and alongside all the excitement about getting in on the AI race, there are also a lot of concerns about being too exposed. I'm Sarah Holder, and this is the big take from Bloomberg News Today. On the show The Risks and Rewards of Investing in AI right Now, we talk to investment experts about what they think are the smartest AI plays and the ones you should avoid, depending on who you talk to. AI is poised to revolutionize healthcare and technology or destroy jobs and natural resources. It's the most profitable investment opportunity we've ever seen, or an industry bubble that's about to burst. Suzanne said, the topic stirs up a lot of anxiety.
Speaker 4: We know it feels transformative and we're seeing big changes, but we can't look out ten years from now with any sort of crystal ball and say these are the stocks I should have invested in and you know this is how it's going to reshape finance or insurance or journalism. We're seeing it in our personal lives when we read about stories of like layoffs and the entry level jobs. So there is this sort of excitement over the promise, but worry over the impact on one's life and just the uncertainty about what it might lead to.
Speaker 2: I mean, does that remind you of any other sorts of investments that you've written about. I guess, like the dot com bubble, investing in tech stocks back in the early aughts.
Speaker 4: That kind of enthusiasm and the fear about hype and all the bubble talk is reminiscent of those times. But I feel like with AI it's sort of that on steroids in a way. It's seen as a much bigger, potentially life altering breakthrough for.
Speaker 2: The AI bulls. That's exactly the reason to put your money behind it.
Speaker 4: Getting in now and riding this wave is how you're going to make the big money going forward. We've seen incredible valuations on companies connected to AI, and that is where you get into sort of the bearcase. The cons people are worried about these valuations. There's waves, massive waves of money flowing into building out the infrastructure and the data centers to support AI. Can the industry grow into all of the money that's being spent on it.
Speaker 2: That's unclear for a lot of investors, though the idea of all this untapped potential makes this moment feel like the perfect time to strike.
Speaker 1: I have never seen more fear about innovation than I do now, and I'm very comfortable here. I think this is a good place. You know, you don't chase the momentum, but you buy the dip because you get these opportunities.
Speaker 2: That's Kathy Wood, the CEO of ARC invest She's someone who's investments are closely watched by retail investors, so when Suzanne was looking for experts to pull, she wanted to go to Kathy first.
Speaker 4: She has such an interesting history in investing in innovative technology g companies.
Speaker 2: Kathy said that as she tracks the number of users of open ai and Gemini, she's reminded of the early days of the dot com boom.
Speaker 1: If you think about the Internet and how it evolved, we think we are in nineteen ninety five. For the consumer.
Speaker 2: The hope is that as the user base grows so will the money that she's invested in companies leveraging AI, like one of Kathy's longtime favorites, Tesla.
Speaker 1: It is the robotaxi year. We believe that the autonomous taxi ecosystem globally is going to scale right now. I think if it's in the billions, I'd be surprised in terms of revenue generation. But we think it's going to scale to the eight to ten trillion dollar level per year within the next five to ten years.
Speaker 2: Investing in a highly valued MAG seven tech company like Tesla or Nvideo or Microsoft isn't the only way to bet on AI's potential, though. Tasha Wang, a portfolio manager for Fidelity International based in Hong Kong, suggests looking at the infrastructure that supports the AI ambitions of MAG seven businesses.
Speaker 5: For example, semiconductor, you know you can easily access it via ETF and it's something that you know it's a structural growth story even before AI.
Speaker 2: In addition to physical technologies like semiconductors, Tasha said, investors should be thinking about the underlying commodities that tech relies on. With finite supplies, but the prospect of increasing demand, we can be.
Speaker 5: Talking about copper, and we can be talking about things like uranium. You know that's not traditionally on the radar of commality investors, but nuclear is such an important way to power the AI power needs.
Speaker 2: Our third expert agreed that anything related to power is interesting.
Speaker 6: That is the bottleneck right now.
Speaker 2: Michael Smith, who runs the Growth equity team at all Spring Global Investments.
Speaker 6: When you look at the commitments that have already been announced from the major players in the space and add it all up between now and twenty thirty, they need to obtain enough power to fuel basically the equivalent of thirty to thirty five million homes, which to put that in perspective, they are over one hundred and thirty million households in the US today.
Speaker 2: But Michael also advised being more forward looking in predicting where AI is going next.
Speaker 6: To use the surfing analogy. Don't chase the wave that's already passed. Get ready for the next one. If you miss the infrastructure wave and you feel like it's too late to buy Nvidia, don't worry. I think the next big wave will probably be the suppliers, the B to B companies that develop applications and tools that they sell to other businesses and help them use AI. And then if if you miss that wave or you're not comfortable with that, I think there's a huge wave coming behind them, the supplier wave, which will be the consumers of all this stuff. And when AI starts to directly improve everyday experiences for all of us, that there's going to be big opportunities.
Speaker 2: Another way to think about categorizing AI related investment opportunities comes from Denny Fish, who's head of Technology research and a portfolio manager at Janis Henderson.
Speaker 4: Denny Fish use the buckets of enabler, enhancer, and us there we're.
Speaker 3: Going to see waves of adoption and evolution. We are clearly in the enablement phase of AI and the infrastructure build out, and that's semis and that's power, data center infrastructure, all those things that you need to even be able to train a model or perform inference.
Speaker 2: In this enablement phase, Companies like Microsoft or Amazon, which have major cloud computing businesses are seeing massive growth. So are those physical infrastructure providers companies that manufacture chips or use liquid cooling systems for data centers. Denny Fish's next category is the enhancers.
Speaker 3: There will be companies that will embrace AI in a meaningful way to improve their competitive position in areas like software and internet.
Speaker 2: Tech companies like into It, which dominates in accounting and tax e filing and is trying to use AI to improve its product. And finally, there are end users, non tech companies that adopt AI early.
Speaker 4: A more sort of motley crew of companies that can incorporate AI to have a more competitive edge and operations in using agentic AI just really sort of deepening the reach of their business and becoming more relevant to their customers.
Speaker 3: You could listen to the transcript of every company in the S and P five hundred last quarter, right and I don't know, sixty seventy percent of them mention artificial intelligence in their transcript. So you can go through and pick your poison in financial services, healthcare, agriculture, insurance and find unique companies that are actually benefiting from this trend that aren't quite as obvious.
Speaker 2: Take John Deere, the agricultural services company that's using AI to identify which weeds and plants to spray, or healthcare companies like tempess AI, which uses the technology to analyze patient data to improve disease diagnosis. And treatment. Here's Kathy Wood again.
Speaker 1: That's in our top ten, which we think could become one of the most important healthcare information backbones in the United States.
Speaker 2: But what happens if all the plans to make AI profitable don't pan out exactly the way these companies have promised? How to head your bets after the break. The amount of money going into the AI space right now is frankly staggering.
Speaker 6: The current run rate spendings of the big hyperscaler companies alone equals like ten Manhattan projects.
Speaker 2: Michael Smith at all Spring.
Speaker 6: Pretty much AI has to work like we're all in. It is a massive percentage of the stock market.
Speaker 5: I think we all sort of in awe of how much money is going in right that. The magnitude order of magnitude is hundreds of billions of dollars, and they are big, they're GDP moving kind of numbers.
Speaker 2: Taosha Wang at Fidelity believes it makes sense that investment at this scale would drive GDP.
Speaker 5: But after that, the boost you know, through investment, needs to come from productivity. King and productivity is also an important driver of GDP. We are seeing anecdotal evidence of you know, certain industries really benefiting from the adoption of AI in terms of the productivity boost. But you know, for us to be broad economy GDP moving that we need to see it in many different industries that may not necessarily traditionally at the forefront of technology.
Speaker 2: That wide scale adoption and proven profitability are what Tashaw believes will determine whether the AI run up continues or whether it's more like a bubble that could pop.
Speaker 5: One can never time haul on the bubble is going to last and what is going to make the bubble burst and make the music stop. I think it's usually related to liquidity and cash flow. So to the extent that there's still money going around, then I think it can continue.
Speaker 2: Those bubble concerns are being driven in part by the large number of circular investment deals in this space. In other words, companies like open ai, Video and Microsoft all investing in each other. The fear is that it's those deals that are propping up the industry's growth and valuations. But Tasha is among the experts who say mutual investments aren't a reason to write the whole industry off.
Speaker 5: I think it's not necessarily a brand new practice that you know companies invest in other companies that are in their operational sort of sphere.
Speaker 2: But she also says it is reason for investors to take care.
Speaker 5: I would generally caution against things from a cash flow perspective that do not have, you know, real revenue prove, real profitability proof. Alarming amount of circular investments going on. That's certainly something that you know, want to be mindful of.
Speaker 2: Michael Smith has been on his team at All Springs since the dot com boom and bust, and there's a few things he learned from that experience.
Speaker 6: There are a lot of companies that want a piece of this pie, and to me, like the big difference is who's funding their investments from the profits that their legacy businesses generate, and who's dependent on the kindness of strangers, whether it would be outside equity investors, lenders, anybody who's helping to finance the growth other than the business itself, and just be very careful investing in companies that can't finance their own growth. I think that was the lesson learned in the late nineties and early two thousands. I mean, it was basically the inability to access the capital markets and continue to finance the growth that changed things that time around.
Speaker 2: As you may have noticed, the investment experts we spoke to tended to be bullish on AI. They've already bet on the industry themselves, after all. When we asked Kathy would if there were any AI related investments she'd caution against, she said, basically, don't move on to the next thing too quickly.
Speaker 1: A lot of people are saying, well, you know, this AI movement or opportunity is exploited. Let's move to the next thing, which is quantum computing. They've skipped over thematically to quantum because they think and I say they meaning thematic portfolio teams or what have you. They think AI has been exploited. We think it's barely begun.
Speaker 2: To read more about what these investment experts told Bloomberg Personal Finance reporter Susan Woolley, head to Bloomberg dot com or click the link in our show notes. This is the Big Take from Bloomberg News. I'm Sarah Holder. The show is hosted by Me, David Gera, and Wanha. The show is made by Aaron Edwards, David Fox, Eleanor Harrison, Dengate, Patti Hirsch, Rachel Lewis Krisky, Naomi Julia Press, Tracy Samuelson, Naomi Shaven, alex Udiura, Julia Weaver, Yangyong and Taka Yasuzawa. To get more from the Big Take and unlimited access to all of bloomberg dot Com, subscribe today at Bloomberg dot Com Slash Podcast Offer. Thanks for listening. We'll be back on Monday.