Speaker 1: Good morning, peeps, and welcome to ok F Daily with Me your Girl, Danielle Moody recording from the home Bunker. Folks, by the time that you listen to this episode, Hurricane Milton will have made landfall in Florida. We have no idea the type of devastation that the state of Florida will be in for. Once again, as I'm coming on air, my mother sends me a text and says, you know, Danielle, I rarely watched CNN, but today I turned it on and a reporter is asking a woman in Florida that's standing in her wreckage about, you know what she thinks about these two storms coming through within two weeks, and her response was their man made. I cannot express to you the absolute extraordinary damage that Donald Trump and the Republican Party have done to this country and have done to fucking common sense. It is a travesty what has happened, the amount of disinformation and how susceptible people are to it, to believe that in this day and age, that you cannot trust science, your eyes, or your ears, or anything any amount of education. I don't even care how far you went in school, but that you would denounce all of that and believe the fucking bullshit that is coming out of Donald Trump and Marjory Taylor Green and JD. Vance and Matt Gates in Rohn de Santis's mouth is absolutely fucking wild. And you wonder what was it like living inside of the Dark Ages. Well, you don't have to wonder. We are here. This is the modern day, as Brian Karem, you know, fellow Nerd Avenger said earlier this week on Nerd Avengers, this is the technological Dark Ages, where we're at a time when we're trying to convince people that the world is round and that like a man did actually land on the moon, in the age of deep fakes and deep, deep, deep fucking distorted disinformation. It is absolutely wild. And today I get into a conversation with our friend or in house doctor, doctor Jonathan Metzel about like how we've gotten here. You know, it doesn't make any sense. It's absolutely disheartening and frustrating and just like mind numbing trying to convince people that they have become their own worst enemy. When you have welcomed the likes of Fox News and Donald Trump and the Republican Party into your home into your life, into your mind space. It is like a fucking earworm, right that, Just like burrows in they are power sites that are eating this country from the inside out. And I am just at the time of this recording, am absolutely fucking beside myself with where we find ourselves. And you know, Jonathan tries to, you know, to help me work through it, but Lord help us all because I really do believe that it is the end. I really do feel like this is the end. This is this is the pivotal moment. Friends. We either go over this cliff with a parachute or we go over it with a fucking anvil. But either way, we're going over the cliff right now. And it is just it is alarming. It is alarming. So coming up next my conversation with our in house doctor, doctor Jonathan Metzel. Folks. As always, you know that whenever we have the opportunity to sit and chat with our in house doctor, doctor Jonathan Metzel, I am always thrilled because I feel like, on a regular basis, I need some type of diagnosis. Jonathan. We're living, as we always say, in extraordinary times, and when I think about it, right now, we're speaking as another hurricane is barreling towards Florida twice in two weeks. Historic storms are about to hit, and yet fifty percent of the population has been convinced by one of the two major political parties that climate change is in real that what they're experiencing and seeing with their own eyes and their own ears isn't happening. That we're being flooded and inundated with AI deep fakes of children floating on rafts, and being told some of the most egregious lies about hurricane relief not happening, about the money being spent on migrants as a way to so hate and disorder. And I want to get your thoughts, because this is something that you have studied, that you know about. I don't understand, and I don't think that we are talking still even nine years later, about how these pervasive lies, how people will discount their own thoughts and link on to Donald Trump and it will cost them everything, but it doesn't matter so long as it costs the people around them more. And I still, Jonathan, nine years later, I still can't come to terms with that. Help me, Well, good morning, good morning.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm definitely I mean, if there's a diagnosis. It's a diagnosis for all of us, which is staying afloat in this crazy time. I'm saying hi this morning from Saint Cloud, Minnesota, and I'm speaking to four hundred people tonight at the Convention Center as part of this series called Conversations about Race. And it's a very multi racial, multi everything group. And so I first want to say that it's hard to see from social media sometimes that conversation, real conversations are still happening, because I'm a part of one out here today. But it is these moments of crisis, these kind of polarizing moments of crisis. And so let's talk through a couple points about this. Do you want me to start with the most fair part, the most fear answer, or the most ever, the most conniving.
Speaker 1: Asser, whatever feels best to you to start with.
Speaker 2: Okay, So please I get starting. You know, there is an agenda of undermining It's not just like racism is the means and the ends and the agenda. It's that there is always another agenda here. I mean, we just learned this morning as we're filming this that while Trump was denying COVID, he was sent COVID tests to putin. It was breaking news about an hour ago from Bob Wooper's book that all these guys were saying this thing is fake and all this kind of thing, and behind the scenes they dan well knew that COVID was real and Trump was secretly shipping COVID stuff to putin, and I'm sure vaccines and other stuff.
Speaker 1: Also, I guess you just broke that news to me, and I am just I am speechless. Okay, really, yeah, yeah, didn't know, got it.
Speaker 2: So there's stuff about this that is incredibly performative in a way that riles people up. But it's not like people don't know. And I do feel like there's I'm just speculating here just to be clear, but undermining FEMA is an agenda that plays to racism, plays to social division, place to all the things you're talking about. But then if Trump wins, they can get rid of FEMA and put Elon Musk in charge and privatize everything and stuff like that. So there's a financial agenda here that is maybe a bigger agenda than just that. Now that being said, I just think that this idea of dismantling government, it's not like there's going to be no government. It's going to be privatized, for profit, unequal targeted, all the kind of things. And so in a way, I just think it's important to keep in mind that this is a psychology, it's a bias, it's a history, it's all those things. But it's also tied to a bigger financial agenda, which is to monetize certain things and promote certain kinds of commerce and screw people over who are already historically disadvantaged. And so I think that, to me is the number one point. I'm just seeing this again with this femous stuff the way I saw it before, with the Affordable Care Act and anti COVID and all those kind of things. And so I think that's probably for me point number one. Point number two. I saw AVI here in Minnesota, and I flew last night next to a guy who was flying this crazy circuitoust route. He was flying back to Minnesota. He was a construction developer and worked in construction, and he was going to get his truck and his supplies and his coworkers so they could drive down to Florida and help people out in the aftermath of the hurricane. And you know, good salta of the earth kind of guy, a really robust guy. We had a long conversation and he was telling me how he really wanted to help. This is a moment where people, in a matter of their ideology, chip in to help each other. He had gone to Ashville previously and helped at least rebuild some kind of things. But then as we started talking, it became clear that he was incredibly anti government and was a Trump supporter. So he said, the main thing for me is this is a moment where like, we chip in and help people, but we don't need government regulation. We don't need government telling me what to do. We don't need government. While he had this whole diatribe against what he called government, and so I said, well, you know, I can see your point, right, which is the government adds relation to staff. But don't you think you're maybe prone to help certain people that seem familiar to you and not help other people, Like if it's just random of people just chipping in, want to reinforce biases and things like that. So we had a long conversation. The guy wasn't crazy in fact, I mean, who would just drop everything and drive down to help people like it was laudable in some ways. But his animosity toward government was so deep that the stuff that Trump said really resonated with like and the JFK Junior stuff and all that, let's get rid of government, let's get rid of regulation. And so this mistrust of government is also such a deep thread. And I don't know, there's two ways to think about that, right, And I went in, yes, government does add a lot of regulation. The other hand, like, you can't just have a million random people driving down to Florida with lumber and stuff like that, because it'll reinforce inequity and be chaos and be disorganized and all these kind of things. And so these things are all playing out against each other. And I guess I don't deny that it's racism and stuff like that, but I would also say that there's all these other layers to it would have to do with finance and capital and governance and all these other things.
Speaker 1: I get the layering, but I would say that the foundation is racism, right, Like I don't think that we can deny. We always want to say that there are all of these other factors, and those other factors have to do with economics. And I will always say okay, and then run it back one more time, because it always starts and ends with racism, this distrust in government and what government is doing with your money. And I think about this in the story that you just told, in terms of the regulations, and right now down in Atlanta, right in the suburbs of Atlanta, you have an entire chlorine plume that is over ninety thousand plus residents that are down there because of deregulation that happened with these chemical plants that are allowed to be in residencedential areas and that have navigated loopholes where they don't have to follow any rules whatsoever in terms of creating safety measures that would mitigate the effects of say a fire breaking out inside and then causing extraordinary health damage that we won't know. There are certain people that right now are saying they have lingering headaches, eye irritation, skin irritation, and body aches. But you don't know what the long term ramifications are going to be of those illnesses that comes from deregulation. And so like, when I hear these things that are largely said by white Americans, what would be the reason that they don't trust government and that they want government to be deregulated because they don't like who government is supposedly helping. When it's a majority of people that are white and poor that are on government assistance, either white and poor or rich and poor that are receiving welfare, it's hard for me to navigate eight and have conversations when at the core of it, all we're doing is looking for euphemisms for racism.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, of course, I mean that's you just summarize the talk I'm giving today, and you know, I mean, I'm a structuralist, right, so of course I completely agree with what you just said. But I guess the question is what are you going to do about it? Right? And I mean right now we have a real clear choice about what you do about it. But I would also say that is anti racism. The answer is changing the financial structure. The answer is more government. The answer is addressing people's concerns of government. The answer I just I think it's important for me at least to know people's agendas of how they come to that, just so I can know how to kind of push back on it a little bit more. Not denying that. But it's just funny because for me the issue is in the name of racism, divisions are monetized basically, you know. I mean, I'm not surprised that a lot of white people are resist that's I live in Tennessee. It's not very surprising. But for me, as you know, the answer to those divisions is to make structures equitable. And so that's the way. You don't try to change people's identity, to increase structures where equity is rewarded. But we're in the opposite potentially now, which is weaponizing historical divisions. I mean, I feel like anti Semitism and Islamophobia are also being weaponized right now for financial gain in a lot of different ways. And so we're just in a movement right now where these divisions are being monetized and there's no count, there's no what's the reward, right I mean? And so I guess part of the issue why this matters I'm talking around in circles I apologize, is if Trump wins, this is going to be the whole country. And that's another reason to just be worried about. Trump is giving us a little hint here of this FEMA thing is exactly what everything will be like, which is undercutting every government agency, privatizing everything, targeting people who are already at risk, Like that's going to be every agency. I mean, FEMA seems like an extreme example, but I don't know. You're going to see it in healthcare. You'll see it hell in the traffic lights and everything like that.
Speaker 1: Right, it will be everything, and it will be targeted again directly at people of color, directly at black and brown people and those communities, and then it will target everyone else. And so it's like again low hanging fruit, which is the fact that Donald Trump the Republican Party are racists. They are pushing a white supremaist, white Christian nationalist agenda, and it begins with sowing distrust in government, in agencies and saying that you can only trust me. And that's how you begin this game of distortion. I mean, I looked Jonathan at the AI photo that Steven Miller, Laura Lumer and all of these other right wing people with huge platforms retweeted a fake photo of this young girl holding a puppy on a raft and saying, oh, well, Kamala Harris sent all the FEMA money to Haitian migrants, And they retweeted this and they took it down after the fact, but guess what, it was already fucking out and liked by millions of people. So I'm like, they know what they're doing. And the question that you ask is a good one, like, well, how do you combat it? I have no idea because by the time a lie is around the corner, the truth hasn't gotten out of bed, so we can fill them with all of the facts and figures and say no, this is wrong, this is a lie, but it's already happened. So Jack is already out of the box. So at this point I'm not really sure what it looks like to put it back when you have fifty percent of the population that is now saying, well, Biden, you know, hasn't provided any relief or Fema is broke, and it's just like, wait, what are you talking about? And you have Disantis just on television yesterday saying we've gotten everything that we've needed from the Biden administration and I'm sure they will provide us with more he said it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I don't. But the thing is, you know, the argument of dying of whiteness is such a vicious cycle that you think it's targeting other people and then it comes for you basically. And so the problem with FEMA now and Florida, for example, is that it's been so undercut and undermined that they actually have massive worker shortage for FEMA, so they're actually they have really hurt FEMA, I mean, and a time of climate emergency to not be doing more investing in climate is I'm praying that this thing takes a right turn or something before it hits Tampa. But these things have consequences that are not just for the targets of who people will say they no.
Speaker 1: And I think that that is the thing that people don't get is it goes back to the Martinia Mohler poem from World War Two. First they come for right, You think that they're going to come for everybody. Oh, I love Donald Trump because we hate the same people. And he's going to punish the people that have made my life hard in this imaginary type of way. And then when all of those people have been punished and criminalized in what have you, you're next up to bat And I don't understand how many times these things need to happen in the course of history for people to realize that you are not safe, that Donald Trump is not the person who is going to keep you safe, who is lying to you on a regular basis and grifting off of you because you're that fucking stupid. I personally am at a loss right now as I watch this devastation hit these areas that are quote unquote red states.
Speaker 2: And you know, we'll maybe talk about this next week. I'm really curious about the whole Elon Musk effect here also because I mean, there obviously are extreme interesting for him of taking over all these things, and so I'm curious, Like I guess, I wonder sometimes if Elon Musk had done the same thing, but he was supporting causes that I believe in, if Elon Musk could come to our side, for example, what I think Elon Musk was greater, would I still think that he was what he seems to be. So I don't know the Elon Musk effect here.
Speaker 1: No one should have. I mean, here's the thing, and this is me saying this, which is that like, no one should have as much power as Elon Musk has, And I don't care if that is a person that is a Democrat or a Republican. One person should not have a mass as much wealth and have as much influence to do anything. Elon must in general shows me that our economic systems are absolutely and totally broken because this man is on the verge of becoming a trillionaire and we have so much economic disparity in this country and in the world. He is emblematic of everything that is.
Speaker 2: Wrong, and he's just so unlikable, oh.
Speaker 1: God, and so fucking hard to look at, like as a person.
Speaker 2: Just ye, dear God, I just I guess I'm just in the back of my mind, I'm thinking, like, is Elon Musk helping Trump right now? Or is he? Or is he like even on Twitter? I mean just looking what he's done with Twitter and then telling me this guy's going to run female like it's you know, so at the end of the day, I hope you enough people will come to their senses. But I guess the question of over the top eln mask stuff, I'm curious why the Democrats aren't using it more because it's so odious. But maybe it speaks for itself.
Speaker 1: I think that, honestly, I think that it speaks for itself. Yeah, first of all, we also know and we're out of time here, but we also know that the numbers that Elon Musk puts up on Twitter about people liking his posts and all of the it's all lies. It's all inflated lies. And no one is advertising on that broke down site because he's absolutely destroyed it and a majority of people except for journalists, have fled.
Speaker 2: So to me, the argument then, is is this the guy you want running disaster ely for the country. I mean, he's really bad at tweeting, and also he's so firstly bad at tweeting, So anyway, TB TBD. All right, I'm gonna have to talk about the boards of equity, So how would you be having a positive vibe day here?
Speaker 1: Good Jonathan. As always, we deeply appreciate your analysis and we will catch up with you again next week.
Speaker 2: Take care, everybody.
Speaker 1: That is it for me today, Dear friends on Woke af as always, power to the people and to all the people. Power, get woke and stay woke as fuck.