Speaker 1: Of the law and order franchises, SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on.
Speaker 3: These are our stories.
Speaker 1: Dune Dune, Hello, and welcome to That's Messed Up and USVU podcast.
Speaker 3: I'm Kara Klaang and I'm Liza Traeger. Hello.
Speaker 2: Every week we talk about an episode of SVU, the true crime it's based on, and then we have an incredible interview with someone from the episode.
Speaker 3: But at first we chit chat.
Speaker 2: We have a lot to discuss, we do right before the new year, right before.
Speaker 3: We enter into twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: We obviously need to discuss sex and the city.
Speaker 3: Duh.
Speaker 2: Obviously, And and I are and our friend Lauren did have a wild night, a wild.
Speaker 3: Night that wasn't actually that wild.
Speaker 2: I think we're just elderly at this point and could not happen.
Speaker 3: I think it was.
Speaker 1: I mean, listen, what had happened was we went to the very talented co host of Lost Culturista's podcast and a very hilarious performer and singer, Matt Rogers has an amazing Christmas show that he does.
Speaker 2: We'll tell them who are who The piano play and composer of the songs are Hello and.
Speaker 1: His co composer like the basically his right hand. The guy who puts together all the songs with him is Henry Koperski, who does our beautiful podcast theme song. So we went to go see the two of them perform at the Hollywood Improv. We had gone two years ago pre pandemic, and it was like a glorious fun origining original funny sincere Christmas music.
Speaker 3: He's not shitting on Christmas.
Speaker 2: It is only someone that loves Christmas like Matt does can create such incredible music.
Speaker 3: And we're just.
Speaker 1: Because songs are like out of out of control funny.
Speaker 3: They are so fucking funny.
Speaker 1: Like one is from that point of view of Missus Clause one is from the point of view of Martha May Houvier from The Grinch, Wry Stole Christmas. Like one is just like like about this Christmas.
Speaker 2: I am dumbed if I fucked that up. But at the end everyone sings Maria Carrie. I was jumping on a booth, but I started with double vat ca sodas, So that's where maybe the mistakes started. And then we were I would also humiliated us because we were like running around to meet Matt and all of his best friends are just waiting like normal people in the lobby, but we were like running up to the green room.
Speaker 1: Because two years ago we went up to a green room to hang out. I wonder if that's a COVID thing now or something that you can't do that. But I felt like a pushy aunt. I felt yeah.
Speaker 3: We were like can we come up?
Speaker 1: And he was like, well, I'll be out front in a second, Like okay. But then we we had such a great time. There were just so many fun people there that we knew, and it was really fun. And then we were like, well, we ubered here, so we're going out. And we went out in West Hollywood to all these fun gay bars and we just did a lot of shots and drank a lot of drinks.
Speaker 2: Well, no, we found out our friend Lauren was throwing the shots underneath the bar.
Speaker 1: Oh like an app But to me, we're not bully praying bitch, we're not bullies.
Speaker 3: Why are you? Why am I spending money?
Speaker 2: If you're not, you just say you don't say you don't want it. She's just very rich now, so she doesn't understand, but you don't have to be pouring the shots under the bar, please.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 1: I was buying them, and because I was trying to like pay back, like when somebody bought a shot and around, I'd be like, okay, my turn, now we're buying shots.
Speaker 3: It was like a bad precedent to set. But alas, but we did fall.
Speaker 2: In love with Go Go Boy, who Kara kept turning to the group and going, he's special, he has something special.
Speaker 1: There's something about him. There was something about this Go Go Boy. I was like, he's gonna be famous and he's gonna be like I used to dance, Go at high tops. I also, I don't touch someone that's smooth in such a long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, baby smooth. She was a little seal.
Speaker 1: Yeah sexy seal, a sexy seal, and did go to to We went to Tom Tom. We were we were out with another podcast host who was getting a lot of attention.
Speaker 3: But I ordered Fireball and the girl was livid at me.
Speaker 2: At the bartender, she goes, we don't have fireball, we don't have Rumplements, we don't have Jaeger. And I was like, okay, well now you're gonna make lemon drop shots. Are you happy?
Speaker 3: Now? You're gonna love putting sugar on all those rims. The fucking dumb bitch, like, oh my god, what a bitch.
Speaker 1: I do want to eat there because I heard the food at Tom Tom Is.
Speaker 3: I have eaten there twice and I have enjoyed it both times.
Speaker 1: It was funny to go there having watched vander Pump and having them like built that place and be like, ah, yes, here are the gears. Here're the gears in person, like all the gears on the wanna be steampunk? Like, well, you guys were shaming me too, because I thought it's a cool looking bar, and.
Speaker 3: You guys, oh, we were like, this place is not this place.
Speaker 1: This looks it just looks like wedding here. Serve those goat cheese balls, bitch. Hell yeah, oh my god. Yes, I wish I could have eaten food there. But we had a great time. Unfortunately, two of us came home without phones, but I will report my phone has been located and I will be driving forty five minutes away from Los Angeles right after I record this to pick up my phone.
Speaker 2: Our other friend was straight up robbed, but I wis shouldn't have gone to the third bar. We went to a third bar that I didn't realize we went to till midday. Kara, I'm going to throw you under the bus. What she did puke out of the uber?
Speaker 3: I did? I did?
Speaker 1: And when I got home, Yes, as I was getting out into my house, I you know what, it's crazy because I did.
Speaker 3: Get extremely drunk.
Speaker 1: I will not be ashamed of that, but I just think it's the car ride makes me feel sick like I would not. If I had been able to walk home and go to bed, I would have been fine. But I said, I was in a car for thirty minutes. We're getting a hotel next time we go out. We're going to just stay in Solidah Hotel tonight.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Or there's like a Ratisin right there next to eat twenty four a twenty four hour diner. We'll just eat, stay at a fucking Ratisin, and then go home to our fan.
Speaker 2: That's so we need to avoid all this drama, and I'll find myself under the bus. I did wake up around eight am to violently puke and sit in the shower for about two hours.
Speaker 1: I would say yeah, and I have to say I barely have gotten super super drunk since I've been a parent, like the way that I was this evening, and now this.
Speaker 2: Happens to me when I get too excited. Yeah, because remember a few months ago I opened for Sam Jay at the Troubadour and I was so overwhelmed with excitement, double tequila, sodas in bed by midnight, puking. So it's like, yeah, it's like I'm nineteen and drove to Canada.
Speaker 3: I yeah, like I don't. I do like to go out.
Speaker 2: But I don't go out that often in that way like usually I do shows, I have a few drinks.
Speaker 3: Igah, Yeah, I go out and have a few drinks.
Speaker 1: I'm home by twelve, Like you know, we were just like Chris Maas, like we were getting home at three am shots crazy. But I will say, and I know people feel me that listened to this podcast because a lot of you are parents, Parenting hungover is some seventh circle of hell.
Speaker 3: Shit.
Speaker 1: It is the worst fucking thing because they do not get what being hungover is. You can say mom doesn't feel well, they do not give a shit. Rosie still kept going mom, mom, Mom, Mom. It was a nightmare, Like I just It made me like, I will think of that the next time I'm out trying to like do shots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think our friend left the bed till the evening, and neither did I.
Speaker 3: I think we both. Unfortunately I did not have the option.
Speaker 1: I did have to get up in parent But it was a nightmare and it'll it serves me right.
Speaker 2: No, it doesn't where you're allowed to go out, but yeah, it was. It was pretty wild. And then to tame ourselves. The next day, we went to like a Hallmark looking festival, like a Homemark Christmas festival.
Speaker 1: I took Lisa with Rosie to this Christmas tree lighting festival in Los Angeles in a neighborhood that's like adjacent to ours, and Lisa goes, what are we go in.
Speaker 3: A Hallmark movie? I go, maybe you're gonna meet your husband tonight or your.
Speaker 1: Wife, Like maybe we're gonna this is like a perfect meat cute place, you know, like this is like we were drinking hot chocolate, making ornaments, waiting for Santa to arrive on a fire truck.
Speaker 3: It was very like it was.
Speaker 2: But I thought we were just going to Target. So I did wear a Daria sweatshirt and grayceel pants.
Speaker 3: So it wasn't the.
Speaker 2: Christmas like stroll picking up guys that I was what I was hoping for. And we do have to be upfront that the hot chocolate was from a church, but it was.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they gave us a note from Jesus with the hot chocolate.
Speaker 3: But then they kept.
Speaker 2: Stretching the lighting and so we didn't get to actually see the tree.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they didn't do that.
Speaker 1: I think they didn't do the lighting until like the end, because my friend sent me a video of her daughter watching it. But Rosie got to see Santa in the fire truck and it was worth it. She had a glass. I have a video of her dancing like a psycho though, like she was dancing pretty crazy. She was just running back and forth like crazy. But wait, okay, so that was fun. And then last night, I finally I know I'm late, and a lot of you guys messaged us, and I want to say a lot of you guys messaged us with a fucking spoiler from the Sex and the City show, and so I knew what was going to happen before I watched, because some of you guys slid into our gms with that.
Speaker 3: So just be careful next time.
Speaker 2: But Twitter and the articles, I mean, yeah, it's so fun.
Speaker 3: You know, I lost my phone, so I didn't. I wasn't.
Speaker 1: Actually I was able to make it till Sunday. But it's okay. I watched it last night, both of the first two episodes.
Speaker 3: So okay.
Speaker 2: I saw someone yesterday and I was talking about how much I loved it, and she goes, that is so sweet. I haven't heard anyone say a nice word about it. So I was like the first person that she talked to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the reviews are really bad.
Speaker 2: Well I wonder if they're the same people that would have given the original show bad reviews, you know what I mean? Yeah, maybe it's just like Okay. The first ten minutes I was nervous. I was like, ugh, I don't know, is this gonna be bad? Is my favorite show gonna be bad? And then I was in. I was in. I really loved that they went there and made the characters fucking flawed. They're elderly, old, white rich people in New York and they're gonna have problems, and I am like impressed with how annoying they made Charlotte Listen.
Speaker 1: I am gonna keep watching it, it's it's fun. It made me deeply, deeply sad. I mean, don't listen to this part if you haven't watched it yet, Like it really really made me sad, Like that affected me. But also they're leaning too hard into the elderly stuff, like the fact that you're calling them elderly. They're in their mid fifties, Like that's not elderly. Why is Steve wearing hearing aids?
Speaker 3: Like people can lose their hearing.
Speaker 1: Sure they can, but they're like they're leaning too far into it in my opinion, like just be in your fifties killing it. And many women are like, we don't have to be this, like what's TikTok?
Speaker 3: Like I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's a little cringey a lot of it to me, but I'm enjoying it. The fashion, the New York, the people. I'm gonna keep watching it, you know. And I like some of these New Edition characters.
Speaker 2: I think Sarah Ramirez killed it because they're playing a stand up comic. So it's like you're gonna be more critical And I wasn't an I was into it. I was like, I can see this being a comic that I would run into out and about, and I loved the week.
Speaker 1: Wait is the is the premise that they are going to be a love interest from Miranda.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's what we're hoping for.
Speaker 2: Miranda is gonna clearly I didn't I'm about to say, clearly, I did not catch this. This one over my head. My friend Julia had to tell me. But Miranda's gonna have a drinking problem. Obviously, there was a.
Speaker 1: Few oh see, I did drink Chablis moments, but I thought that was like nerves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but before class, before the funeral speech obviously, but like before class, and then I think there was one more but people caught onto that. But I thought her being a dumb bitch and class was so cringing and uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: In the best harble but in the best way.
Speaker 2: And at the train when she's like and I knew I had to go to like, I feel like I might have been this person during the pandemic. I think most whites that are trying to do good have these moments, you know what I mean, like, and I liked that they showed it. And no, no, Brad, I did. I have worked with Karen Pittman, so that was exciting. To see who is that the professor?
Speaker 3: Oh wow, excuse me, she's cool. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: She was in Horace and Pete, so I she's cool and she was in a really cool I enjoyed her in Horace Empete a lot, so I was excited.
Speaker 1: Oh and the woman that plays Charlotte's friend is so beautiful Nicole Arie Parker, great fashion.
Speaker 3: I just like that Charlotte's a dumb bitch.
Speaker 2: I feel like I've had a friend like this where it's like, Carrie's husband just died, why are you crying and making it about you?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, we've had family tragedies where there's always one. I remember a friend of my mom's just fully like sobbing on the couch and asking me to bring her tile in all when we had a death in our family, and I was like, bitch, get out of here, like it's just like crazy when people make it so about them.
Speaker 3: And kept doing it. And Susan Sharon.
Speaker 1: Susan Sharon though, killed me like that was so funny. She looked so to her and she she looked incredible, credible, And when they cut to her and she goes, does anyone remember him being a total dick to her like I was like, that broke up the sadness of that scene for me, Like that was.
Speaker 2: So when he died. I cried when Samantha sent the flowers. I cried during the speech. I mean I was crying a lot.
Speaker 3: And I like what they're doing with Samantha.
Speaker 1: I guess that they're talking about her so respectfully and not being shitty or like killing her. But I'm also like she would be there, like she would absolutely be there.
Speaker 2: Yes, but we I know. I saw that on Twitter and people bitching about that. It's like could have what a should have? What are you talking about? In the words of Samantha, I hope you got that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but she doesn't want to do it. They did the best that they could.
Speaker 2: They're not going to fucking kill Samanonantha, Okay, go fuck yourselves. And she maybe wouldn't have been on a plane. COVID was just over. There could have been travel restrictions, like you don't know everything, and same with the big where it's like, how did they do this? He might have said, I'm only doing one you know. With Maloney, people are like, oh what happened? It was a contract issue, that's why he left. Okay, like there's more to stuff than creative things. Yeah, I was just hating people bitching about stuff that they have no control over.
Speaker 3: No, I know, I just for.
Speaker 1: Some reason, I'm like, well, I was reading a lot of stuff that was like, maybe they should have killed Samantha.
Speaker 3: No, would you have thought if they did that?
Speaker 2: No, because we're still hopeful she might come back in season two. Honey, this is like the dextra situation. Let's be hopeful, let's be open, and let's work with what we got. And they don't want to they could not kills. I don't think it was right to kill Samantha because that would have been a fuck you.
Speaker 1: And I think they're trying to be chill. No, I was happy they didn't. I was happy they didn't. But I mean also like I don't know the reason for the breakup didn't seem enough, like I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that's that's one thing on Twitter where I saw like they're like Samantha in the second movie had a giant pr agency in Times Square. What do you mean she couldn't handle your book? You know what I mean? Like yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, but they did what they could.
Speaker 3: I love what well.
Speaker 2: I also saw a really funny meme of Lily and it's like, wow, Lily really is ruining Carrie's life because the reason the wedding didn't happen. Yeah, and she had to go to that recital and it's like, it is your fault, Charlotte, it is your fault.
Speaker 3: And I would blame her and I would not want to be her friend.
Speaker 1: Yes, but don't you think you Lisa, You cannot blame someone like that. If he had a heart attack ready to happen, it was gonna happen.
Speaker 3: At the point. That's how I felt about her.
Speaker 1: And then she was acting the way she was acting, Yes, the way she was acting.
Speaker 2: She would be cut out of my life. I would blame her. And if she kept crying and making it about oh I love They're just such good actresses and anyone that hates the show, I think just doesn't understand. Like the moment when Carrie goes, I'd prefer that when Charlotte's like, yeah, can you be alone? I'm like, you guys are just so talent, and it's like it's our old girls. I feel it's their old person at it's like who they are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Sarah Jessica Parker looks great, and I do like that they're forcing her to be a little bit more uh open on this podcast situation that she's doing.
Speaker 3: I think it's there's a.
Speaker 1: Lot of good about it, but there was just parts of it that I was like, eh.
Speaker 3: Like that were cringey for me.
Speaker 2: But I think they were purposely cringey. I think we were supposed to feel uncomfortable with Miranda in that class room and on the train platform.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Also did Steve's accent.
Speaker 1: And I don't want to bad mouth him at all, because Lord knows we want him on this podcast. But Steve's accent was like on Quadruple Drive, like he was like.
Speaker 3: Hey, you was, guys, what's what the bike?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: I just thought he turned it up like high.
Speaker 1: It was like he had it. Maybe he hadn't like talked like Steve in twenty years and was like is.
Speaker 3: This what he sounded like?
Speaker 1: Eh?
Speaker 3: Like it was just so.
Speaker 2: Like, well, that reminds me nobody wanted to like everyone's like, no one wants to see Brady be fucking like leave.
Speaker 3: Oh god.
Speaker 2: It was like too much, But it's real, you know, thinking about like I just love how real it is in I don't. I mean, I but that happens. Are you gonna let your kids fucker out? Like it's kind of cool?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: In the house, yeah, I mean god, I just I can't think about that right now.
Speaker 3: I have a six month old. I can't think about it. You also have another child?
Speaker 1: No, I know, but I feel like it's more of a guy would ask to do that. Maybe I don't know why, Like I don't know, but maybe I'm being wrong.
Speaker 3: Rosie could fuck too. Yeah, she's gonna be fucking.
Speaker 2: I also love that they used the apartment like Stanford and Mario how to having an issue or Anthony. Sorry, it's like Stanford and Anthony having an issue, And like the apartment being used all the time was nice like that he's like, oh, I already have a key. And I like that they made Stanford annoying Stanford Wait, can I ask? I mean, we have to stop.
Speaker 1: We really have to get into an episode today because this is not a Sex in the City podcast, though maybe we will start one. Listen, why was there that weird scene with him telling Glorya to get out of his seat?
Speaker 3: It just felt like it lasted too long.
Speaker 2: Well, because I think they needed to show that Anthony was like disgusted by his behavior. Okay, and maybe they love each other, but it's like when you don't grow, evolve, change, like and he was rude to her. I mean, clearly this woman knows big, so like, what do you want? But where Stanford was coming from was I get that when he's like, yeah, it's my best friend and I'm gonna sit next to her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I understood that too, So it just seemed like a weird scene that went on too long.
Speaker 2: But it wasn't to support her. It didn't seem like it was to support her. It was, oh, I get to be close. And that was solidified with his comment about like I would have liked to speak. And I just think because something's gonna obviously happen with Stanford.
Speaker 1: Well right, I think what I read in a review is that he's getting pretty much abruptly written out after season four, episode four.
Speaker 2: Sure, but it needs to be a death because even if him and Anthony get divorced or that's what they're leading towards, or that's what was on par like, he would still be Charlotte's friend. And I loved that, I mean Carrie's friend. But I also loved that Charlotte was like, you didn't call me, and it's like, no, I want Stanford right now. It's not fucking about I mean, Charlotte to me was triggering for sure.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, more annoying than ever, but I'm impressed. I love Sarah Ramirez and Miranda Hopeful. What's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: I you're a die hard and I think there's very little they could do to turn you off, and I am excited to keep watching it. I liked it. I had a good time. It felt like being back with old friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, up top I was it was like too caricatury, but I thought they've gotten to a rhythm. And then the trailer for what's coming on this season looks awesome. Yeah, because we love that actress too, who was in the COVID episode that made you.
Speaker 3: Cry of Svie. Yeah, so rita child raise her name?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, from Homeland, So that's gonna be fucking I'm exciting.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she'll be a cool character too. She's Carrie's real estate agent.
Speaker 2: I think I'm just happy to have them back and stop trying to make it what it was. And I just hate everyone's shitting on it, like, go fuck yourself.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you want to engage with Lee's about this more antagonize her on Twitter.
Speaker 3: Please.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's start today's episode. Cauz, we got a good one for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ah right.
Speaker 2: So this is Hell's Kitchen. I have lived in this neighborhood, so that's exciting.
Speaker 1: I worked for many years in this neighborhood and love, love, love Hell's kitchen.
Speaker 3: What did you do in Hell's Kitchen?
Speaker 1: I worked for a producer at a little production you know, my Devilwar's been in a republic job.
Speaker 3: I would say.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because a lot of these restaurants that we're we're going to talk about in this episode where restaurants I like, had to make reservations for that boss set.
Speaker 3: So it's like bringing me back. Oh amazing. I've also been a server.
Speaker 1: I think you have too, so I'm sure we'll have a lot of personal Yeah.
Speaker 3: But not in New York.
Speaker 2: I didn't, No, not in but I had a great It was the first neighborhood I lived in in New York. I did live in a one bedroom railroad with one other person. We did share a bed, and we only had one sink in the kitchen, not in the bathroom, and you had to climb over the toilet to get into the tub.
Speaker 3: And we each paid nine fifty. Oh my god, which is like a steal. I'm like nine to fifty in Manhattan. And this is.
Speaker 1: Where the guy came up the ladder too, right, yeah, yeah, yeah, it was between tenth and eleventh. But we just were so desperate to live our sex in the city fantasy and live in Manhattan. Like the moment Manhattan was brought up, we were like, oh, yeah, we'll share a bed, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll live in Manhattan. We only lasted like seven months, eight months in there, but so happy to see Hell's Kitchen getting some love not love, I don't know. Attacks Okay, season twenty, episode it starts with classical music playing, so obviously something fancy is happening, and and we see like a thin slice of a radish looking thing delicate foods, so we're at a restaurant. And then we see like a tattooed sleeve of a man, so we know that's the chef. Okay, chefs love tattoos, and these looks cool. It wasn't like the anatomy of a pig or.
Speaker 1: I know you always see is that fucking like all like the haunches, like all the different labels of the pig cuts, And I'm like, you guys need that's to me like the tramp stamp of the culinary world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, chefs, I mean, I have a lot of bad tattoos, I guess, but chefs are notorious for pretty terrible tattoos. But it is a job you get to be like fully tatted for. And so yeah, this chef man, he's picking up tiny flowers with tweezers placing it on a salad.
Speaker 3: I don't really like this kind of bullshit.
Speaker 2: I do it if someone else is paying, and I don't love it. I want real food. I want real food. I don't want a flower pedal. He has an earring and he's yelling loud. You know, he's one of those Hell's Kitchen what is it, Master Kitchen?
Speaker 3: What's the one where you know you're right? Hell's Kitchen is Gordon Ramsey. Oh wow, this is really connected.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, And he's the one that's always screaming at people. Yeah, but you know what I love is I don't know if you ever watch him host the kids show. But he's completely different and there yeah with the with the yeah, yeah, there's montages of going back and forth, like how he speaks to adults and then children, but it's because he's passionate and you do get to yeah. I mean, it is an abusive, toxic environment. Usually if you're at a job where it's people's passions, you can exploit them.
Speaker 3: We've we've lived it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, if like you know that everyone is desperate to live their dreams, you can.
Speaker 3: You can ruin our lives. That's that's basically it.
Speaker 2: We'll sign anything, we'll work for free, we'll take an internship, we'll drive eight hours. So anyways, toxic chef vibes. But then he started talking about lobster and squidink pasta, and I'm back on board. In this restaurant, I was like, okay, I would I would definitely order that, okay. And there are some vap customers and they produce a kid's food.
Speaker 3: Show and among other things.
Speaker 2: So it's like the front of house manager and the chef are walking to this like table of fancy food show producers. The chef is Andrew Leebowitz. He is a Jew, obviously, and the restaurant is called Far Rockaway, even though it's in Manhattan, and I hate when people do this.
Speaker 3: He doesn't bother you.
Speaker 2: No, there's just like a bar that you used to have a commedge show called like Coney Island Baby, but it's in Manhattan. It makes no sense to me. Yeah, why is this called far Rockaway? You're trying to confuse people.
Speaker 1: I think that they're like, we're bringing a little bit of a hometown to Manhattan, you know, like it's like I grew up on the beaches the fall Rockaway, but now I made it my dreams in the big city.
Speaker 3: Like I don't know. I think that's like what the goal is, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: And then he drops one of the plates off though, and it's octopus with deconstructed coleslaw.
Speaker 3: What does that just mean?
Speaker 1: Like shreds of cabbage separate from shreds of carrot, and then a pile of mayonnaise.
Speaker 3: How does that?
Speaker 2: How is that exactly? And how is that fancy or delicious? Like that just sounds disgusting. And then the other guy got like some polenta, which I do like.
Speaker 3: I like polenta. He makes a joke about like dessert giving them wood. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: So they get hard for desserts and so they're having a moment. So the chef is like, to the producers, why don't you stay after dinner. We have a private room after powers, you know, So we get the vibe that the some scummy stuff might happen. They're getting hard on desserts and there's a private room, and then he starts massaging the shoulders of this waitress named Kayla shas beautiful red hair and.
Speaker 3: A bold red lip.
Speaker 2: And then we cut to a salad that looks like shit, and you're like eh, and then you realize we're at Benson's house, so it makes a little more sense. Noah is mad about the salad. He hates olives. There's olives, and I'm on Noah's side. You don't like olives either.
Speaker 1: I hate olives too, But you know, I'm never on Noah's side. I mean, he's just sitting there being like, I want Pizza's like, yeah, we all want fucking pizza, kid.
Speaker 3: You don't get that.
Speaker 1: All the time Benson's CPS workers on her ass all the time. She finds out your feet him pizza every day. She's gonna lose you, so you want to go back into the system to meet your salad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but this is Rosie. Rosie only needs a quesadilla and a pesta pasta.
Speaker 1: But I sneak veggies in. She eats a tortolini that has spinach in it. She eats a smoothie that has avocado and spinach, I sneak it.
Speaker 3: She's two.
Speaker 1: My friends have assured me that by the time she's Noah's age, which is like seven in this episode, or eight, that she'll be eating more different things.
Speaker 2: I talk about this all the time when I waitress. Now, over a decade ago, I will never remember. I will never forget. I'll never remember. I will never forget. This young girl ordered the garlic shrimp and I was like, I like you, like.
Speaker 3: I just like a little kid. I love when a kid is like.
Speaker 2: Our friend posted a photo of her son squeezing lemon on an oyster and sucking it down, and I'm like that that's fucking aweso.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: My friend Alice came to LA with like her eight year old and we went out to dinner to like a nice place in Echo Park, and she was like, do you want the cornish hen Eloise? And Eloise was like sure, like she was so ad like she goes she has a pretty good palette, and I was like, okay, like my fingers are fucking cross. Rosie wouldn't even eat pizza the other day. I was begging her to finish your pizza and she was like, na, what did she want? Animal crackers? Well, she wanted dessert. She wanted a popsicle or ice cream. She's a sugarhound. And you can have taste bud changes too, Like I remember I used to never eat anything spicy, and now I'll eat a halopeno like in something.
Speaker 3: You know, I.
Speaker 2: Really love holowpanio poppers. It's like a new moment. Maybe we should eat that tonight. Don't eat dinners, Let's get Halowpenno.
Speaker 3: Poppers or not. Okay, so you know what sold? Okay? He said nothing, I go never mind, never mind.
Speaker 1: I was like, I was literally scanning my brain for where can we get them around here. I'll absolutely do halopenio poppers. Yes, okay.
Speaker 2: So anyways, now off from the food, we'll go to my favorite topic. Fashion. Benson sweater. I want it. I want it.
Speaker 1: It was oversized cozy, white, gray, black, like, oh what a great fucking at home sweater.
Speaker 2: He spits out the olives. Benson doesn't know what to do. They're having a moment, so they cut back to the restaurant and Kayla and the bartender at this VIP room. They're taking shots and then the producer, one of the producers, asked Kayla to sit on his face. So that's pretty fun, and then he like does a little dance thing, tricks her to sit on his lap, like it's just a mess.
Speaker 3: To the front of housewoman.
Speaker 2: Is like you okay, and Kayla goes a half the gig, right, I had to put subtitles on.
Speaker 3: I listened to this eight times. I could not understand what she was saying.
Speaker 2: You need diction help to whatever actress this is. She's clearly not the guest. I'm talking shit about her. But so that's half the gig. And the bar manager woman goes, yeah, story of my life.
Speaker 3: So we get a thing that this is just like how it is. You know, you have to put up with it.
Speaker 2: And my friend Alex was like a waitress at US, like a hip, hip packed sports bar in Chicago. She said she had to leave because people would just touch her so much, like you get fully just harassed and grabbed and touched.
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny because like I worked at a restaurant in Boston. That's my only waitress experience is I worked at this like jet when like jazz kind of came back and like the early two thousands, remember when it was like cherry pop and daddies and all that shit. I worked at a martini bar, like massive bartantinis the size of like a cereal bowl, and then like jazz live jazz music, and the food was like whatever, but people did eat there, and so and I wore like a button up white shirt with a black clip on tie and like black pants, and I remember being like, oh, so gross this outfit. And now I'm like, I'm pretty happy actually that they made me dress like a penguin because then I like didn't get my ass grabbed a lot. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, this sports bar was not penguin outfits, I'll tell you that much.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So now we cut to two cops in a different culinary vibe. They have bags of fast food and they're really excited to eat in their car, and then while they're walking with the fast food, they happen upon a woman that's fighting out of a car, kicking what we can assume is an Uber driver, so she's like kicking and fighting. So they run and it is Kayla Morgan, so it is the waitress from earlier and two UNICFORGN cops are now explaining to Careesy and Finn, like what happened on the scene. They found the Uber driver was climbing on top of her. He says though that she was wasted and wouldn't get out of his car and he was just trying to get her out of the car and he's actually the victim and that she's like, you know that she was hitting him. And Kayla is also not claiming rape, but her shirt was fully ripped open, so we don't know what's going on, but she put up a fight and he wants to press charges for assault.
Speaker 3: Credits so that's a lot okay.
Speaker 2: So now we're back from the credits and Kayla is with Benson and Rollins at the precinct and she's like, listen, I don't remember anything. I've told everybody what happened, and she says she doesn't if the Uber driver did anything. She's like, I passed out and he startled me, so I flipped out a little bit, like do I need a lawyer? What is happening? And Rollin's is like, don't worry about that, and Benson's like, we're just worried about you, like we don't care about anything else.
Speaker 3: And they're just very caring and I love them so much.
Speaker 2: So they're just trying to figure out what happened before the uber ride, but she doesn't really remember any of that. And then they cut to the boys in the interrogation room with the Uber driver and he's like, I am the victim. He keeps saying that, and he is such a fun actor. I like all the faces he made so much. But he's horrified at the allegations against him. It is not him, and he goes, take DNA, take lie detector or anything you want, and that's always that could go either way. It's like you're obviously clearly innocent or you're playing a game. So it's like, what's happening. Finn can't believe it, which I love. This is the best moment of this episode. He goes, I mean, there's a passed out girl in your car. You want to you want us to believe you kept driving, and like, I love that that's the standard. It's like, but that's how I've talked about this. I was recently, like a few months ago, blacked out with an uber driving. He hantic ups and I tipped him one hundred percent because I was like, you could have raped and kidnapped me.
Speaker 3: So here's a present.
Speaker 2: It's like, the baseline is you will get attacked. And even Finn's like, oh, you had a pass out girl and you didn't raper. I don't buy it, Like it is fucked that that is the standard. I'm like having a hard time with the one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but well, I also like, I'm a huge if I've been drinking even a little bit, I pass out in transit, like if I'm in the car, like if I'm in obviously not if I'm the one driving, but like if I like, but like if I'm in the back of a car and it's late at night, good night, I'm out, you know. Like, so I don't know, it's probably bad. I probably shouldn't take ubers. But yeah, you're right, it's a sad standard.
Speaker 2: You're not really often drinking alone wildly, I would say, true, Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: Well, I was just thinking of the time the last time I drank and got really bombed in West Hollywood for Drag Race. I took out Uber home and demand definitely had to wake me up when I got home. Yeah, it's like wild, it's been wild, and I just loved Finns like, yeah, right, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just it's very telling.
Speaker 2: And then he goes, we know he's not lying because he goes, no, I was talking to my wife on the phone the whole time, and I go, he's telling the truth. If you've ever if you've ever been in a New York City transportation, they are talking to their wives. Yeah, the wives are on a different time zone and they are chatting, and so Coreesi is sassy goes, you know, we hate that, and I actually like it. I like when they talk to their wives. It reminds me of sex and the city too. When and then it just it also means they're not talking to me. I don't want to talk to anyone.
Speaker 1: Usually sometimes I've had nice convos with cab drivers, truly, but not anymore.
Speaker 3: I'm done.
Speaker 2: But for many years, yeah, I would wear your children always, all the problems, everything.
Speaker 3: But I do get mad when they go, oh are you going home? I go, you shouldn't really ask women where they're going, what are you doing? Yeah? And if they go or you do you have a boyfriend? I always say yes, no matter what. Yeah. Always.
Speaker 1: He's huge and he's waiting for me on the curb. So, but the driver seems like a good guy.
Speaker 3: He goes. I realized something was wrong.
Speaker 2: She had weird zombie vibes and I tried to help her out and she flipped out. They cut back to her and she wants to leave. She's really mad, and she goes, listen, I had a lot to drink. I don't know what's up. Everything was fuzzy, and she's yelling I am not a victim, and Rollins and Benson are trying to convince her to speak up and figure out what happened, even if it's not the uber guy. And Kayla leaves since the uber guy is not pressing charges, and then the amazing hair detectives just watch her walk away, and then we cut to Careesy and he is filling in the squad that the cell phone records prove that the driver was talking to his wife the whole time. She got picked up at three point thirty nine am outside of a restaurant on the Lower east Side called Far Rockaway by Andrew So I love that.
Speaker 3: That reminds me of Kyle Richards businesses Alien two by Alien two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I love it so much. So Cariese knows about this restaurant. It's a high priced seafood joint and he took a date there once and then someone's like, was it worth it?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: He spent like a few hundred bucks with someone. I forgot it was like, is it worth it? He goes worth every cet So I guess he had great sex after this, which is exciting. So Careese and Finn start asking the front of housewoman for some scoop and she says kitchen clothes.
Speaker 3: At one and I leave, so leave me alone.
Speaker 2: She says that Marco is a server and he's obsessed with Kayla, so go talk to him. And they talked to this like doughey, sweet man, I kind of have a crush on him, and he's really innocent and I love him.
Speaker 3: And he was.
Speaker 2: Like, whoa rape? And they go, we didn't say rape, why'd you say rape? And he goes, I know what SVU means? So I love that. Yeah, I love him. I'm like truly into this server, so I loved the interaction. And now he also says, he goes, I went home, and my building has cameras so you can check on my shit, so they can prove that he's innocent. So that's great. Kayla did work the after party, he tells them. So they go down to the private room to get more scoop. They talked to the sexy bartender and he gives us all of our sv bartending fantasy needs. He is wiping bottles, he is arranging bottles, he's carrying a box, he is doing the work, and he mentions like the producing execs. And they left around two thirty to forty five, and he last saw Kayla at three, so clearly you know there is some time that is unaccounted for what's going on. He said that she went down to the wine cellar to meet Andrew, the chef slash owner, and Cariese is of course like suspicious. So they head down there and he's babbling about wines and shipments. He has cocaine energy. If I've ever seen it, this man is on cocaine.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: This is coke at its finest. And he offers them a sip of wine and they when they reject it, he says, this is eight hundred dollars a bottle, and Finn goes, okay, I'll hit that. So so Finn's trying this eight hundred dollars bottle of wine and he says it tastes like warm apple juice, and the chef's like, ooh, apple notes.
Speaker 3: I'll put that in the description.
Speaker 2: But anyways, they're like, shut up, we don't care about these wines.
Speaker 3: Stop babbling about. We need you to focus.
Speaker 2: So he starts babbling again about how he loves cops and hates finance bros.
Speaker 3: And it's like, you need to stop talking.
Speaker 2: And then he starts talking about man As Chevitz and get filter fish, and it's like, go home, take a nap.
Speaker 3: This is you need a break.
Speaker 1: This is like fully giving me flashbacks to like every night talking to somebody that was too coked up.
Speaker 3: And you're like, okay, all right, I gotta go.
Speaker 2: Well, least now I can kind of tell when someone's on coke. Back in the day, I would just be like, wow, this person has great ideas and a lot of passion, you know, Like I wouldn't. I wouldn't be able to figure it out. So the detectives feel the Andrew in and they're like, okay, well, we believe that she was sexually assaulted here last night and you're the last person to see her.
Speaker 3: And he goes, excuse me. She's saying that, I what, and he's.
Speaker 2: Shocked by the news and he goes, yeah, we popped a vadal and I said, you know, I liked her ass and we had consensual sex. It's not even the first time we quote unquote screwed. And if she said anything, she's fucking lying. You know, it was hot and she wanted it. And it's like we've heard all this before, okay. And then this scene ends, which with what I feel is a commercial and I think the high pressure moment is that they have fucked before. And then Kyle marches into the precinct mad. She is pissed in a perfect fall outfit turtleneck okay, and she's like, you talk to Andrew, what the fuck? I can lose my job? And you know they did do some maloney action here, you know, back to.
Speaker 1: So well, it's also just like it it's more like cop fantasy, like there's no complaining with like there's no complainant at all, and they're like, we're still going to investigate this, Like there's absolutely no way in the real world cops go after alleged rape that happened where there's no victim is not saying that anything happened, Like no.
Speaker 2: And the thing is, I don't I mean, I'm sure it's in all towns. I've just like seen it mostly in New York. But like, businesses want to be friend police officers, right, because I've performed at some places where like the cops know that they can compee there, you know, and they're ca and then like if you're nicer to them, if there's an altercation at the like they come quicker, like or if you have people in there later then you're supposed to have people in there, or if you're not, you know, you're breaking some awning rule like whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I remember back when like smoking was illegal and some places still wanted to offer it. You could tell places that were in with the cops would be like, yeah, you can smoke, you know. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So it's like such a cap vibes.
Speaker 2: But I know businesses they want to be in with the cops, right, So it is weird. So to me, that adds on to your point of like these cops probably like go in there too, you know, like they get special treatment at those places. But this place seems pretty fancy. And then she says she makes six figures there. That's nice fine dining.
Speaker 1: I think if you're full time working fine dining yet you can do like extremely well, I guess.
Speaker 2: I know, but do you get time on It just seems you get like what Sundays and Mondays off.
Speaker 3: Or not really like yeah, probably, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It seems I've worked in fine dining for two days and I went, this isn't for me.
Speaker 3: So whatever.
Speaker 2: She goes, I didn't say anything, and they're like, yeah, but you know, don't you think he didn't And she goes, no, it's not like that, and she says, yeah, we fucked a Christmas party once. It was a mistake, but things aren't black and white, okay, you know last night or whatever. She goes, yeah, I said stop, but he didn't want to. So it's whatever. It's a restaurant. And they're like, it sounds like your boss raped you. And she's like, it's not rape unless I say it's rape. And do we agree or not with that statement?
Speaker 3: I don't know. Well, we'll do a poll. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is a tough one because she really is acting like I mean I didn't you know, she's acting like it wasn't a big I've.
Speaker 3: Done it before. I don't know. Well, yeah, because it's the it's like, what is it worth it?
Speaker 2: Because you're once she once she says the sixth figure thing, It's like, oh, okay, yeah, because I got no an argument with someone about this where it's like, you know, guys are people that don't understand sexual assault or like abuse in any way. It's just like, yeah, just go to the tell someone. And it's like, but you don't know what someone's gonna lose. And sometimes it's just not worth it. It's not worth being shunned out of your job, you know. Unfortunately, it would be cool if people weren't shunned out of their jobs and fired.
Speaker 3: And like, yeah, there's so many reasons why women don't report, and you know.
Speaker 2: They're valid, and this episode I think really shows it great, like of all the reasons and we'll get more examples of like just different layers of what happens. But whatever, she's like an angry teen and she's like stay out of my life before you ruin it and she runs away. So then Stone comes in. I don't even know his first name. I don't really care about him. I know our listeners think he's hot. I think he's like a fucking boring idiot.
Speaker 3: Do you like him? What's the name? Peter?
Speaker 1: I think he's like classically kenned All hot, I guess, but I'm not my type in any way.
Speaker 3: I just don't care if you like.
Speaker 2: I wish he went down on Marishka one episode then I would have liked him more, because they.
Speaker 3: Do have a vibe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, every hot guy of a certain age that gets on the show, you think, oh, is this.
Speaker 3: Gonna be the guy? Is he gonna be the one for Mari? Like, I mean, you just think that.
Speaker 2: So Carisie says, listen, this guy has no priors. But he shows up in three sixty ones, which is like probably the name of some paperwork. So there's been three separate women that have had complaints about him that work in his Brooklyn location at the restaurant. So they go talk to the other three women and they do the thing where they like splice all three women together in one long confession. So there's a bartender. She goes, yeah, after hours, I served him and his buddy and then it's like brunette bob smoking cigarette outside girl and she's like, yeah, one night he just plants went on me and I was blacked out, so I just kind of let it happen. They turned him down, but that's the boss.
Speaker 3: What do you do?
Speaker 2: He said, don't you want that motion? So they got they walked over. He tossed her around like a rag doll. He pulled up the skirt of another girl. She tried to fight him, and then YadA, YadA YadA, they're connect and then they finally find the connection, and the connection is he kept all of their underwear, so he took all of their panties. So one the girl gets mad and she's like what the fuck, Like I've been banned from all, Like he blacklisted me from everything. I'm working at this dive bar and he's out there and he continues to do whatever he wants in assaulting women like no boyo.
Speaker 3: So then Careese and Finn.
Speaker 2: And Stone are discussing the case and how it's Brooklyn, so like, what's that going on? And if it was Manhattan, they would have gotten the guy and all three cases have one DA in common, Chris Hodgkins. So it's like, okay, what's going on? Like okay, clue, But this is a wonder kid and he's giant in the Me too movement. He runs a victim advocacy group and he wants to climb up the political ladder and is.
Speaker 3: Like really on victim's side.
Speaker 2: So they have to go find Chris, and they walking on him as he's in court putting away a pedophile.
Speaker 3: No mercy.
Speaker 2: So we love this guy, So like, why did he not prosecute these three cases? So Stone talks to him, and this guy Chris knows Peter's father whatever, YadA YadA, man chats, so he brings up Andrew and why he didn't prosecute and basically Chris says that like all the issues, but they weren't perfect victims, but they never are, but he was just like he found holes in all of them and didn't really think they would be good on the stand. And he's not going to prosecute a case he can't win, but he says, I will help in any way possible if you need any help on this case. Stone is suspicious Benson and him are working late, and Benson is like, it's just shocking. He wouldn't do this. It doesn't make sense. It doesn't make sense, like he does everything like there's got to be more to it. And then they go, we gotta get Kayla. Like if we get Kayla, we can get this job. So they go find Kayla. They're like, there's more victims. She doesn't want to. They're having a back and forth, and then we know we knew what was gonna happen before it happened. Bring up the panties. They go, well, don't you want your panties back or some stupid line, and she goes, how do you know about that? So now like she gets it, she gets the power, and she is just like, oh fuck, he's gonna keep raping women. And so then you know, they keep doing this and he doesn't really want to and she and he's like, take your power.
Speaker 3: She goes, I don't know.
Speaker 2: And then so now he brings in the real big guns because he wants her to take the stand so bad. So he brings up his murdered sister. So now Kayla's like, oh great, bringing up your dead sister.
Speaker 1: It really kind of has like nothing to do with anything, but okay, it's a stretch.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then this is more examples of things we don't think about of what victims lose. She's like, all my friends work at that restaurant. It is my full social life. Like what am I gonna do? It's blowing up my whole life, and we don't think about that either, like oh fuck, suddenly at the office everyone could turn against you, or you get or or you Yeah, your social life can also get fucked up outside of money, so is.
Speaker 3: It worth it?
Speaker 2: But then she finally is like, okay, okay, I'll do it, but do me a favor. Send the cops in tomorrow during my shift. I want to see him go down. So that was a quick one eighty.
Speaker 1: Things escated quickly from like no, no, no, it's like, okay, yeah, he.
Speaker 3: Took my underwhere he's agreed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they run in to arrest him. Carriese has a really sweet smirk on his face. The front of house manager like swips her head and stares down Kayla. Carisy arrests the Jewish chef in front of everybody, and he says, ungrateful, bitch, you're fired. As he's out of there, he pleads not guilty. Obviously, bail is one million. So this judge is Edward Cofax. He's been in five episodes. You might remember him from being the leader of a sex trafficking ring and murdering a sex worker.
Speaker 3: You remember that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he's like the sex ring guy, you know. So anyway, there's one hundred and thirty five credits. He's a real working man. He's been in Prime, which is one of my favorite movies of all time. He's been an original recipe, Criminal Intent, The Devil Wears Prada. He's like an editor, and he's a I hurt huckuppies. So yeah, he's been working. He was in Big Ghostbusters. I don't care about those movies.
Speaker 3: Maybe you do. Those seem like big ones.
Speaker 2: But yeah, he's just recognizable, and I thought I would give him a little shout out because our episodes are not long enough. Okay, So they go they go into chambers to talk about whether the other three victims can take the stand, and of course the guy that's like in charge of sex trafficking rings is not gonna allow this. And the defense attorney here is Regina Carter and she's been in two episodes as her and then as a different character in another episode called Undercover Mother, and her real name is Amanda Warner and she is working, busy, blessed like she is.
Speaker 3: I think she's about to really hugely blow up.
Speaker 2: She's in the new show Dickenson, that's like her current ah, her current big show. So they're arguing and the judge says, no, you can't, you can't use them. So Stone and Benson are doing a walk and talk and again she's like, motherfucker. Chris Hodgkins like you have to look it up, Like why would he do this?
Speaker 3: It's not his reputation.
Speaker 2: He loves going after sexual abusers, like yeah, you just fucking listen. And it is like listen to her because he made a comment earlier in the episode of like.
Speaker 3: You know, I learned from the best.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I don't know why he's not just doing exactly what she said immediately as she said it, but he's gonna finally like go into it. So he goes to some bar to confront Chris. So Stone meets at a bar. They have a back and forth. Oh and Chris knows Peter Stone from like his sport day or the bartender.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, the bartender.
Speaker 1: No, no, Stone used to play professional baseball before he became an Ada. That's so funny. I forget about that. Yeah, did he get an injured or I guess. So they like talk about it all the fucking time.
Speaker 3: Well that's how much I fucking hate him.
Speaker 2: So whatever, So they talk about his like baseball time, and then the bartender with.
Speaker 3: A sexy, sexy Irish accent.
Speaker 2: Gives the puzzle piece that they need to like fill up the case and basically, Chris played sports in East rockawaym So yeah, so this is amazing that we find out this evidence. Okay, they're both for East Rockaway. They lived around the corner from each other and our best friends. So case closed, Jake, and give another half hour of this episode.
Speaker 3: But this is huge.
Speaker 2: So a man is being an idiot being like but she he loves protecting victims and Finns like, grow up, you dumb bitch. Come on, we work at su like so many quote unquote good people attack people.
Speaker 3: And then but.
Speaker 2: Amanda's not all idiot, and she brings up a great point. She goes, why would the Sky risk his whole political career in life on this guy? Like there has to be more to the case. There has to be more and finigrees, so they need to find out what's next. So they start going through all the finances. So they start doing finances, and you know, I love when they like work late and there's rappers and plates around and papers and messy and they're trying to crack the case.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 2: And so in his bank account, he's making like two to three million a year. And then Ice make some joke about a cardiologist. I don't even get the joke. It's obviously a burn against Amanda, but I was like, I don't.
Speaker 1: Get this because her second kid, the baby daddy, is a cardiologist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but who cares? What is the burn?
Speaker 1: I don't get it, Like, I think he's just kind of like, I know, you're dating a cardiolo.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's like one of those things where like she's so private and he's like, I know something I don't know.
Speaker 3: I really don't know it. But that's that's the point. I think. Yeah, I just I didn't really get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then I suggest the most fin thing in the world, which is let's just go home and get six hours of sleep with So then we cut to a dark stairwell moment where and you're not supposed to really know what's happening, and there's like green lights and it's dark.
Speaker 3: Very Watergate is that it water you have very deep throat.
Speaker 2: So Benson's in the stairwell and she's talking to someone about something. I can't really get what's going on, but I hear when something hit and tomorrow morning, so it's like, what's going on? So then we cut back to the station and Finn is like, Hey, Amanda, I want to share the cinnamon raisin bagel. And you know I love food, so I like that. And he also apologizes for like busting her chops the night before. So then it's break time on that and Careesy runs in with the paper and the cover of the paper is the case of the two men's photos, and somebody leaked it to the press, So now we know what the stairwell was. And I think Benson sold it to a journalist, which that's fucked up, right, I mean I.
Speaker 1: Think she kind of Benson would only do that if she thought, like strategically she needed to do it, Like they're gonna know it's very me too, Like they know that they need to gather many women in order to make a case like this.
Speaker 3: You know, you're so smart. Yeah, that totally makes sense.
Speaker 2: So a woman walks in while they're doing this and she wants to report a sex crime and she has the newspapers. They go, oh, you got a story about Andrew, and she goes, no. The other guy Chris. So that's, you know, a twist, a twist. So now Benson sits down with the woman. Her name is Bethany Fisher and played by actress Sarah bus So. This happened when she was fifteen at a house party and kids from far Rockaway came to this party. There's about ten or twelve of them, and one of the boys brought tequila and she ended up in the bedroom with Chris and one of his friends. Maybe it was Andrew, but she can't really remember his name. Chris pushed her onto the floor, got on top of her, pinned her down, and put his hand down her pants, and the other guy was like cheerleading and saying, go for it, dude. She said she was screaming, but like, get off of me, get off of me. But then he covered her mouth and she was crying. And she has this is like amazing performance. She's a really great talented actress, communicating very well, and she continues that he tried to penetrate her, but she was able to get free and she ran away, and they asked did she'd tell anyone ever? And she did tell a therapist wait like years years later, who encouraged her to tell her husband, who she did reveal this too the previous year. So also her friend Emily was at the party, and Emily could see that she was very upset, but she didn't tell her what happened.
Speaker 3: So they find Emily.
Speaker 2: And they're talking to her asking about the parties, and she's like, oh, and then it hits her and she goes, oh, that party, So that's pointed like, obviously something happened if it clicks to her.
Speaker 3: She said it was a big party, thirty to forty kids.
Speaker 2: There was a keg and Bethany came out of the bedroom and said we need to leave right away. She wasn't into talking, but they knew something bad happened, and she goes, I don't know what happened in that bedroom. There was two boys from high school and she names them Chrishajens and Andrew Lebowitz, and she knew something terrible happened, but again would not say anything, and she was shaking, and she was just telling her friend Emily, like, find me a cap. Bethany begged her not to say anything, and Emily was fifteen years old and she listened, and Chris, you know she's not a stabler. And Chris is now entering an interrogation room, yelling and screaming how he's over this and like what the fuck? So he thinks this is about Andrew and he's annoyed at all this, and they let him know, no, it's actually a girl that you raped in high school. And in the middle of say I love these middle of I love the I love the facial expressions and the acting of like when you see someone realize something mid sentence, like with Emi and this guy, like, I don't know why these scenes.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it's excite me, but I'm into it.
Speaker 2: So in the middle of saying I have no idea what you're talking about, he realizes what's up.
Speaker 3: And and by the way.
Speaker 2: The guy who's playing Chris Hodgens is Jacob Ritz and he was in Sex in the City and you remember this episode. He was in the episode What Comes Around Goes around. It's one of your favorites. So when Samantha Jones goes to an NYU dorm party to meet a guy named Samantha sam Jones, this is him. He loses his virginity to Samantha Jones and then falls obsessed in love with her. But yeah, so he played this like dorky guy and he's pretty hot in this episode outside of his personality and crimes.
Speaker 3: So he grew into his face.
Speaker 2: And he's from Connecticut, Kara, Ooh maybe Weston, Weston, Connecticut.
Speaker 1: Which is right in your Westport, where my brother lives where we're going for the holidays.
Speaker 3: Uh, he should heat that pool up.
Speaker 1: Oh in December, we'll see. And Benson makes it clear that like she saw him realize what happened, Like, you're not getting out of this.
Speaker 2: So it was a party fifteen years ago. He says he didn't touch the girl, but uh, Andrew did, and Benson.
Speaker 3: Goes, that was fast.
Speaker 2: You know, you've been protecting this guy for fucking decades and you just turn on him so quick. Like my mom says, how you do one thing is how you do everything. You know, bad people are not going to be great loyal friends. Okay, so he says it was all Andrew and that he pushed Andrew off the girl, and they're like, okay, get off this, like what like, oh me the hero?
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: They they're like shut up.
Speaker 2: But he takes credit how he helped change sexual assault vibes from back in the day and how things are different, and they go, no, you're a hypocrite and you're a fucking rapist, like that's why you're doing all this, and Chris says that it's laughable, but it's like, this isn't funny at all. I don't get it, all right, whatever, and he also it's like, also, like, if you know that Andrew has been doing this forever, why didn't you prosecute him?
Speaker 3: Like you care so much about.
Speaker 2: Victims and you know that he did this, and why didn't you charge any of the other women?
Speaker 3: And then Chris goes, are you charging me?
Speaker 2: And they say no, but you better make this right and he agrees to do whatever Benson says, because he refuses to let some liar girl ruin his reputation. So what the plan we can assume is a wire recording situation, which I love. I will never be upset about a hidden wire and I hope one day I get to be in a situation where I get to where a hidden wire. It's so it's the two of the rape men and they're chatting and eating in a giant empty like in the East Rockaway restaurant, and he's admitting she put up a fight but that just spiced things up. And the squad's in the van listening, and he tells Chris, you're playing with fire. You need to chill out, and he goes, yeah, but you know you always put my fires out, and I think that's a great writing. So Chris says, listen, I'm done. Stone came to see me. I saved your ass again, but I'm packed. I'm done. I'm not doing this. I'm running for office. And he says, you know, I don't want to get judge kevanad and Andrew X confused, and he said, you know, the thing from the high school party. So then they fight back and forth over who the rapist is and it's like, but the opposite isn't good either, Like that's the thing. It's like, Okay, maybe you didn't actively rape, but that means you did.
Speaker 3: Just watch your friend cheerlead. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's also like, you're not in the clear if you weren't, but you're still a rape adjacent character. But they're going back and forth over who did it, and then Andrew says, oh, you must have. I've been confused with one of the other nights and one of the other girls.
Speaker 3: We did this too, but not that night that was just you so already.
Speaker 2: Now we have a confession that they did this all over town at all parties, and how many high school age girls' lives have been ruined honestly thinking about it, And that's why I think about Kavin and all these motherfuckers. It's like, it doesn't stop if you get away within high school? Why would you stop? And this this episode is really well written. It's like, I really I liked a lot of the subtle moments and stuff, but just being able to in one sentence and discapsulate like, oh yeah, we do this all the time.
Speaker 3: I just I don't know, it's the show is so good.
Speaker 2: The squad comes in to arrest them both and Benson calls Andrew his rape partner, Coriesie tells him about the wire, and then Chris is like, you are next to stone.
Speaker 3: Done. Done.
Speaker 2: They take them both away, and you know, obviously Andrew's upset. So Benson and Rollins have an end of shift chat and Rollins is like in painful being pregnant and starts talking about her old waitress days and how she's not like surprised by all the grab ass. She says, someone tried that, like a customer tried to assault her and she punched him in the face. And Kayla walks in, and since there's a new DA in Brooklyn, they tell her that he's gonna open all the old cases against Andrew. Yay, And she brought them a present. She brought them some fancy food from a new restaurant that she's employed at. So I'm glad she got another job. And they're hoping that, you know, these people will rotten jail forever, so that's good. We just hope the prosecutor does a good job. I smell a spin off Brooklyn Crimes maybe. And then it's just the end of credits, and it's kind of like a lackluster ending with I don't care for this ending at all. Yeah, but that's dick Wolf, baby, but dick Wolf, and I was loving the writing the whole time, and I know they usually end with someone looking into the distance, but there's like menie, I don't know. I didn't care for this ending. I thought it was boring, but great episode. And I can't wait to hear about the crimes because it's.
Speaker 1: You've heard of them, but I think I'm gonna give you some details.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, like it's yeah, I'm excited to learn more about these cases that did kind of rock all of our world's current like recently in our memories.
Speaker 3: So stay tuned for that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's see this episode aired November eighth of twenty eighteen, a year earlier, is when a lot of the me too stuff blew up. The Harvey Weinstein stuf blew up in twenty seventeen, just for context, But then in twenty eighteen, right before midterm elections, was when we had all of the Rett Kavanaugh stuff.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna go into a.
Speaker 1: Couple of different cases that I think this episode draws from. One being, of course, b At Cavanaugh and Mark Judge.
Speaker 3: I didn't know a lot about Mark Judge and never heard of him. Well, he's a huge part of the Kavanaugh case. And it's crazy.
Speaker 1: I think we were all directing our hatred at Cavanaugh, but this guy was is part of it, and that's who they draw on in this episode. So the brief recap of Cavanaugh is that in twenty July of twenty eighteen, Trump nominated him to the Supreme Court. That same month, a woman named Christine Blasi Ford, who was a professor in California, wrote a letter to our senator here in California, Diane Feinstein, and accused Kavanaugh of sexual assault when they were in high school in nineteen eighty two. She said she was at a party in Maryland if you know the DC area, that's where they all grew up in the DC area. You know, like Maryland and Virginia are bordered right there. So they were like at a party in Maryland with Cavanaugh, his friend Mark Judge, and at least four other people. So it seemed like kind of a small party. Allegedly, she was upstairs or going upstairs. These two boys shoved her into a bedroom. Kavanaugh jumped on top of her and was aggressively groping her and trying to remove her clothes. They were both the boys were extremely drunk, and Kavanaugh covered her mouth, and she actually thought that he might accidentally kill her. Because she like by smothering her because she was covering he was covering her mouth like so hard.
Speaker 3: Eventually she was able to escape.
Speaker 1: So, like I said, I had never really heard of Mark Judge because I guess I was focused on Kevanaugh.
Speaker 3: He is an author and a journalist. He wrote a few different.
Speaker 1: Books, like one about being a young alcoholic, like a gen X alcoholic, and then he wrote another book called In God and Man at Georgetown Prep, which is a two thousand and five book. He wrote about the faculty at this prestigious I believe it's an all boys school in DC called Georgetown Prep, and how it had a lot of homosexual priests at the school, and how heavy drinking and wild parties were basically a way of life among the students. So when this all came out, Mark Judge sent a letter to the Senate Judicial Jerry Committee saying I have no memory of this alleged incident. And after seeing his denial, he had a girlfriend named Elizabeth Raysor who dated him for three years, who said she felt like she needed to challenge that account because she heard a completely different story from him. Basically, what he said when he was interviewed was yeah, I remember guys horse playing around a lot when we were drunk, but I never did that with women. None of us ever did that with women. You know, we only do that with guys. And then this girlfriend was like, she said that Judge had actually told her very ashamed of a time when him and a bunch of boys had had sex with a drunk woman taking turns. So she said that Judge seemed to regard it as a consensual thing, and that he didn't name others involved, and so she has no idea if Kavanaugh was involved in that act, in that incident, but she was like just kind of disturbed that he was trying to act like there was no sexual impropriety going on at Georgetown Prep when he had actually told her the opposite. So essentially, in the Ford case, if a lot of us remember, but just in case you don't. Ford's accusations were made public in a Washington Post report on September sixteenth, so this is a couple months after he's been nominated. Subsequently, two other women came forward. One was named Deborah Ramirez and one was named Julie Swetnik, and they both accused him of sexual assault instances in the past.
Speaker 3: Ramira said that he.
Speaker 1: Waved his penis in front of her at a dorm party in college. I think at Yale. I don't remember where they went to college. I think it was Yale. And then Sweatnick alleged that Kavana on his friends would spike drinks with drugs to make girls like pliable and more susceptible to sexual assault. And she said that Kavanaugh was present when she was gang raped at a party. And she basically said something along the lines of quote, they would line up outside rooms at many of these parties waiting for their quote turn with a girl inside the room end quote.
Speaker 3: And that's what's so fucked up.
Speaker 2: And you know that these people are full blown criminals because it's like you can get late in college.
Speaker 3: That's the point.
Speaker 2: Everyone's in college to fuck, you know, Like, yeah, you could, like girls got everyone's going out to fuck, So if you just wanted to get laid, it's pretty easy. I'm sorry, Like it doesn't matter. You can get fucked in college. So like that's why these people are criminals. This isn't horseplay. This isn't you know, like lining up to rape someone that's unconscious in a room, Like these are all fucking criminal totally.
Speaker 3: It's just making me really mad.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I'm gonna get through this honestly, Like, because that's all the whole case was like horseplay, horseplay boy, Oh it was just college. It's like, no, you can get fucked in college. It's actually not that hard, yeah, exactly. And drinking is just not an excuse.
Speaker 1: Like, I don't know, we need to be teaching men that, like a woman passed out is not a woman that's enjoying or consenting a sexual encounter. No, they know what they're doing. They're like criminals easy. It's actually discussing it's just so disgusting, like it's.
Speaker 2: Well, because that's what you talk about. They talk about like legality or not on all of that. It's like even if it's a consent or you're with, like why do you want to fuck a blacked out drunk person who cannot engage?
Speaker 3: Well, because it's about power. It's like look at Cosby.
Speaker 1: Cosby probably could have gotten many many women to consensually fuck him. He wanted to control women and do whatever he wanted them while they were incapacitated.
Speaker 3: It's like a power thing, you know.
Speaker 2: And they always say that no one believes it, because that's whole discussion with Louie where people are like, it's not that, you know, it's not these other cases, and I go, yeah, but the thing is, there's so many people who'd watch him jerk off, like tons of people I probably would have, you know what I mean, right, And that's not the point.
Speaker 1: The point point is making people, yeah, uncomforting, And.
Speaker 2: That's why the discussions with other comics are so annoying at times, because it's like, it's not about the action of.
Speaker 3: The jerking off at all.
Speaker 1: It's that he liked to do it in front of people who he knew didn't want to be there, right, Like why is that so hard to understand for.
Speaker 3: So many people? Because yeah, because we've talked about this before. He was he's a loaded man.
Speaker 1: He could have easily hired a sex worker to sit there and watch him jerk off.
Speaker 3: That's not the point, you know, Yeah, these are.
Speaker 2: It's like it's so fucked what we excuse as normal. But like you're like, what are your ideas of even fucking or sex with someone else if you don't that other person's enjoyment or even ability to be in the moment doesn't matter to you, Like, what do you think fucking is?
Speaker 3: I don't know. It's just okay, keep tilling, I'm going to stay.
Speaker 1: It's I think it's basically getting yours at whatever cost.
Speaker 3: That's what these guys are thinking. So okay.
Speaker 1: So September seventeenth, Kavanaugh denies everything I've never he says, never done anything like what the accuser describes to her or anyone. And then on the twenty seventh, both Ford and Kavanaugh testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee. Eventually, the Judiciary Committee the next day voted eleven to ten to send the Kavanaugh nomination to a full Senate with a favorable recommendation. But Senator Jeff Flake said, but let's do a one week in FBI investigation into the claims against him, and even he even threatened to like change his vote if that didn't happen. But it's all lip service, like it's bullshit. Like the FBI investigation was like very very limited at first. There were all these restrictions, like they were only allowed to talk to Mark Judge, they were only allowed to look into Ford and Ramirez his claims. Looking into Sweatnicks claims was blocked and only four individuals could be interviewed, Mark Judge Ramirez, Leland Kaiser, who was a friend of Ford's, who was allegedly also at the party, and PJ.
Speaker 3: Smith, who was another or PJ. Smyth.
Speaker 1: I don't know if miss smith Smyth another party attendee, Which makes no.
Speaker 2: Sense to me, because if you're asking the FBI to investigate everything, shouldn't they investigate everything? Yes, why would you put limits into an investigation if you want to find the truth.
Speaker 3: Why they didn't want to find the truth.
Speaker 1: Right, Because they didn't want to find the truth, because I think the whole thing was very set up just to act like they were being like bipartisan and like doing an investigation, but they weren't.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, because I mean you might get into all this, but like there's all this stuff where Kavanaugh's debts were paid off, and that's something with Kennedy happened, and Kennedy stepped down on purpose because of something behind the scenes. So Kavanaugh was like meant to be in the court to do some favors and all of his debts were paid off.
Speaker 1: I didn't read anything about the debts, but I didn't know about that that's really sketchy. I do know that, like one of the reasons Kennedy stepped down, they think is because Kavanaugh was being floated as a replacement, and he had like clerked for him and like knew him. So I think Kennedy thought, oh, if I go and Kavanaugh replaces me, then I feel more comfortable going.
Speaker 3: But I didn't know about all these debts. That's that's sketchy as far. Yeah, he had like.
Speaker 2: Millions and or hundreds of thousands in like credit card debts and like country club debts, and they were all paid off before he got on the bench by somebody Like this is so twisted, it and dark, and I bet in fifty years, I mean, we'll all be dead but or no one will investigate and these people will win. I mean that's this whole. This was such a scam. I mean, this was like such a hard time in life.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I remember, like women at that time, we were all just kind of like because we were all like beaten down by the Trump presidency in general, and then with this, we were just kind of like fuck.
Speaker 4: Like.
Speaker 3: It was so depressing at that time.
Speaker 2: Because it basically showed the standard of like what happens to women. It was just like, because every I feel person has been in a moment like this scene, a moment felt this way.
Speaker 1: It really felt so personal, and she was so brave to come forward. Like people are like, oh, she did, what attention would be worth this? Like she had to like leave her job, she had to move her house, like she was docks like harassed there. She was completely like such a brave woman to just come up and say, this is the person that you're going to install onto the nation's highest court to make decisions about our bodies and our lives, and this is who he is. She could have absolutely said nothing, but she decided to step up.
Speaker 3: And I think she gained almost nothing from that. Nothing. So when people are.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, she had her own political reasons, but it's like no, like not like I just don't buy any of that shit. It was only hurt her to stand up, and she still did it.
Speaker 2: It's like of all the evidence and all the men that kill their wives and beat people and are serial killers, and people are still surprise, No, it must be for her doing attention. It's like how many more men need to do heinous crimes for you to just give the benefit of the doubt to someone I don't know it is.
Speaker 3: Well, so okay.
Speaker 1: On October first, a couple of days after the FBI investigation was launched, The Times reported that the White House had authorized the FBI to expand the investigation and they could interview anyone they want. So initially there were all these restrictions and only four people were allowed to be interviewed. And then a couple days later, okay, they loosened it up, and then the White House counsel Don McGahn told the FBI that they could expand the investigation. Great, Still, it doesn't seem like anything's really being done. Ultimately, the FBI's investigation was basically for show. They later reports showed that they did not interview more than a dozen people who said they could provide information about the incidents of Kavanaugh exposing himself to women. Lawyers for Ford and Ramirez had sent the FBI director Ray they had sent him fifty plus individuals on a list that they could interview, and only nine of them were ever contacted, and all of those nine people were from a list that the Republicans had submitted.
Speaker 2: So well, and the fact that the whole thing was a week and it was rushed, and they rushed it before midterm election.
Speaker 3: I mean, this was a fucking farce.
Speaker 2: You know, it was completely it was a it was kind of like the Kyle Rittenhouse trial where it's like we knew what was going to happen before it happened.
Speaker 3: Like nothing was legit.
Speaker 1: Right, And then October fifth, the Senate voted fifty one to forty nine to approve Kavanaugh. I mean at that point it was a Republican a Senate. So Murkowski, who's a Republican, voted no, but Mansin voted yes, who's basically a Republican even though he's a Democrat.
Speaker 2: Isn'ty the number one reason why there's no paid maternity leave or child's leave?
Speaker 1: Now? I mean, Manchin is literally holding the government hostage like he's a nightmare.
Speaker 3: Like, but how is this one fucking guy, Like I don't.
Speaker 1: Get it because we're in a fifty to fifty Senate and if he votes against stuff, it's like then you know, so he's like got so much fucking power right now.
Speaker 2: The fact that this one guy is the reason women can't get paid leave when they have.
Speaker 1: A child, Yeah, Like he's the reason they had to cut so much out of the build back better plan and everything like it's well him and Cinema maybe too, I don't know. But Kavanaugh's confirmation, I didn't realize this was the most historically close confirmation vote in over one hundred years since eighteen eighty one or something, and even then, because there were fewer senators. If you do it by percentage, it was even closer than that. So because like the last vote was only a one was between one vote and this was between two votes, but percentage wise, this was closer. And now we all just have to accept that there's a man on the Supreme Court knowing all of the allegations that Christine bozi Ford made and believing them most of us, and it's just, you know, again, a horrible world to be a woman in. He also claimed in the court in the hearings that he never got blacked out and never didn't remember things he did, and all these people that went to college with him were like, uh, excuse me, and they all were.
Speaker 3: Like, yes, he did. He used to black out all the time.
Speaker 1: So it's just like it's like you said you do one thing, how you do everything? Like this guy is like that's maybe he's married now and not sexually assaulting people anymore, but.
Speaker 2: He no, But you could even tell the way the woman stood, like I feel he beats his wife. I don't trust this motherfucker, Like the body language of when his family would stand and he paraded his wife like that is a silent woman who does not have ConTroll or power in that household.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The next case that this episode drew from are is obviously the Mario Batally sexual misconduct allegations. And like it's no secret that sexual harassment is rampant in the restaurant industry. They make that clear in the episode as well, like everyone's like part of the job, part of the job. Like and according to an article that I read in the Harvard Business Review, more sexual harassment claims in the US are filed in the restaurant industry than in any other whereas men As many as ninety percent of women and seventy percent of men reportedly experienced some fort of sexual harassment. Like I truly think it's one hundred percent if you really think about it, Like the other ten percent were probably like let me think and like couldn't think of but like they definitely have been like somebody has at least called you like sweet tits or something like that.
Speaker 3: When you took their appetizer order.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, Like every waitress I feel like has had a problem, and probably men have happened as well too. I mean, according to this so specifically in this episode, it's about a celebrity chef, so it touches on the Mario Batali case.
Speaker 3: If you don't know Mario.
Speaker 1: Batali, he's like this big guy with red, slick back hair and he wore crocs.
Speaker 3: That's kind of his signature thing. Yeah, he was friends with Gwyneth Paltrow. I bet they're still friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, probably, And he was a chef and owner of a lot of high profile restaurants in New York and La and Vegas and apparently randomly Westport, Connecticut and other places, but mostly New York and La del Posto, Babo, La Cierna, Lupa, Otto, Beco, Casamono, Esca, Philidia barhamone in New York City, and then in La we've got Keith Bacha and Asteria Mozza. I've been to both of them. I've been to No, I haven't been to I've been to Austria.
Speaker 3: Mozza.
Speaker 1: I've been to Beco I think, and I've been to Babo once.
Speaker 3: Maybe I've been to Babo a few times.
Speaker 2: I really love it. I've been to Babo alone too, like just sat at the bar.
Speaker 3: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: I think I went to a baby shower at Babo too once during the day but for my friend who's little fancy.
Speaker 2: And I just actually had a stereo Matza takeoutten.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's really good.
Speaker 1: Well, I went there with our friends parents who were in town from Ohio and like to live it up when they come.
Speaker 3: Well, you took a limo there.
Speaker 1: Well, I was nine months pregnant, so I wasn't going to lower my body into a limo. But I did meet them there and they did take a limo and it was very funny. And then he had a lot of restaurants in Vegas that I think closed down recently.
Speaker 3: But so he also was a big TV.
Speaker 1: Personality, like he had a show on the Food Network called Molto Mario and was on Iron Chef America. And he was also a co host of a show called The Chew which I think Carla from Top Chef.
Speaker 2: Was on right, yes, yea, and chef Michael Simon who loved a Cleveland guy, and I don't know who else.
Speaker 1: So one other interesting thing I learned about Mario Batali is that he is married to a woman named Susie Kahan, who is the daughter of the founders of Coach, the Purses and Wallace. Yeah, so he married into money and then he also was very successful and in addition to high priced handbags. I read the Khan family because of their travels all around the world with their purses and like leather business, they got very into like delicious cheeses and stuff, and they got into the dairy farm business, and Batali would use Coach farm products in all his restaurants around the country.
Speaker 3: I thought that was interesting. It is interesting.
Speaker 1: So, like I said at the beginning, this is timed a little bit perfectly with like twenty seventeen October is when Weinstein's allegation surface and the met too movement is like gaining all this steam. And then in December of that same year, December of twenty seventeen, the food website Eater dropped this big piece about Mario Batali that talked about four women who all accused Batali of sexual harassment and sexual misconduct. One woman said that she didn't work for him. She just met him at a party. She was like a fan, and she went up to talk to him. She spilled wine on her chest, like down her top, and he started like groping at her breast, being like, let me help you with that, like a real creep, and was like groping her bare breasts. And then three other women that talked to eat all anonymously because they fear retaliation.
Speaker 3: They had all been employees of Batali.
Speaker 1: One said over the course of two years, he repeatedly grabbed her from behind and held her tightly against his body. Another alleged groping and said, in a separate incident, he compelled her to straddle him. Basically I read a more in detail thing about this, like he wouldn't move his legs when she was trying to get in and out of her room, so she had to straddle him to get out of the room. And then when she came back, he was like sorry about it and made her do it again so she could come back into the room. Like just gross, like shit, that seems like high school boy teasing shit, but is actually like pretty gross and dehumanizing. Well, he's also like not to you know, he also looks like shit, like he's not a hot guy. And so to me, it's like it's a genre of person where it's like you are working to become popular and successful so you can do these things that you feel entitled to or you want it to do.
Speaker 3: You know, it's like a tale as old as time.
Speaker 2: It's like you couldn't get the action you wanted, probably as a teen, and now you get to do whatever the fuck you want.
Speaker 3: And no one cares.
Speaker 1: So like another the fourth woman said that he grabbed your breast at a party, though she was no longer an employee at that point. And it was reported that in October twenty seventeen, a couple months before this came out and employee at B and B, which is Batally and Bastianich that's his partner, was Joe Bostianicch and all these restaurants, so that their thing was called B and B and they report Apparently in October twenty seventeen, inappropriate behavior by Batally was reported to the company and it was the first formal complaint about him, and he was reprimanded and required to under go training, according to the company. And this is like in October of twenty seventeen, when like, yes, the winds of change were already blowing, Weinstein was happening like there's no way in fucking hell. That was his first actual complaint. It was just the first one that somebody felt ballsy enough to.
Speaker 3: Report.
Speaker 1: So basically the day after this eat a report came out, four more women came forward, and then his whole life basically imploded. Three days after this report came out, he was fired from the two The Food Network pulled Multo Mario, and Target pulled all of his sauces and cookbooks. And here's the thing. But Tally did not deny any of these allegations. In a statement to Eater, he said, quote, I apologize to the people I have mistreated and hurt. Although the identities of most of the individuals mentioned in these stories have not been revealed to me, much of the behavior described does in fact match up with ways I have acted. That behavior was wrong, and there are no excuses. I take full responsibility, and I am deeply sorry for any pain, humiliation, or discomfort I have caused to my peers, employees, customers, friends and family.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, it's.
Speaker 1: Funny because I'm so tempted to be like, well, at least that's a good apology, but I'm like, no, this guy's only sorry he got caught, you know, like he would have kept doing this for years and years. I'm sure, but I think that that is at least a good way to apologize, whereas like Louis's apology, where he's like, you know, I guess I.
Speaker 3: Kind of did something wrong.
Speaker 1: Didn't seem that bad, you know, these wishy, washy apologies, Like, at least this man is just saying, yeah, I was a fucking asshole, and like I'm sorry, even though I do think he's only mad he got caught, so yeah, like I said, many of the people who spoke with Eaterer were afraid of retribution for speaking out, and a woman who claimed she was inappropriately touched while working for Batali in the nineties told Eter quote, he has clear intent on being threatening when he's wrong, and the level of vindictiveness is very chilling. So it never occurred to me to share tales out of school. And she also went on to say this wasn't just some dirty jokes, this was mean, This was about asserting power.
Speaker 3: He is awful, and then Another woman.
Speaker 1: Separately said, he gets wasted, he's arrogant, and he acts like he's God's gift to women. This is still your industry. You're a leader in this industry. If you behave this way, what kind of example are you setting? So essentially he lost all that stuff by twenty nineteen, the beginning of twenty nineteen, he divested from all of his businesses. So those restaurants still stand, but he's divested from them.
Speaker 3: But it is wild.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's the right word to think about this, where it's like, quote unquote Kavanaugh did worse stuff and he is a Supreme Court justice, and then this guy did divest from all his businesses and give up all these things. It's like it's kind of what's the game where you throw dart? It's like darts, it's like throwing It's like you don't know what's gonna happen. You could fully rape people and get off and live a great life like Bill Cosby in jail.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, yeah, I think Bill Cosby got out. Yeah, But like it is, you never know.
Speaker 2: You just never know what will stick and what doesn't. It's even during the Me Too movement, like people keep talking about James Frank.
Speaker 1: No one actually cares, you know, It's like you can't. That's why guys have to be careful.
Speaker 2: Don't leave your house, leave your don't leave your house, stay inside, don't go anywhere, do anything. Don't risk it. Why would you risk it because you don't know how it'll end up.
Speaker 1: We'll let you know when you're allowed out of your house, okay, man, I mean if men were not allowed out of the house, there would be no there'd be a lot less crime.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 1: So in May of twenty nineteen, but Tally was charged with indecent assault and battery and was scheduled to be arraigned in Boston Municipal Court and then and in court, this accuser described an event that took place after she took a selfie with U Batally in twenty seventeen. She said he quote grabbed her breasts, buttocks, and groin forcibly, kissed her mouth and cheeks, and suggested they head to his nearby hotel. Batally has pled no not guilty to these charges and he will actually be heading to trial in Boston for this in April and then in July of twenty twenty one. So just this past July, but Tally and Joe Bastianich, his partner, his former restaurant partner, agreed to a settlement in the New York Cases where he would pay six hundred thousand dollars to more than twenty employees of their restaurants, Babo, Loopa and Del Posto.
Speaker 2: Why they're save, there's there's sharing the six hundred or each other.
Speaker 3: Sounds like they each get six hundred. Wow, love that it does. It's just crazy to.
Speaker 1: Me that this was all going on while I was making reservations for my mean boss at the time, okay, at the same restaurants. So basically some of the stuff I was reading is like, the reason that the restaurant business has such a high rate of sexual assault and misconduct and harassment is because there's a huge power gap. A lot of men are in positions of power in the restaurant industry and women are in lower positions. There's a high turnover rate. There's that customer is always right mentality, which like kind of allows customers to treat servers however they want. And then tipping, of course makes service staff much less likely to come forward because they're relying on tip money. Also, what I was reading in this article from the Harvard Business Review is it's a looks industry, and like a culture that emphasizes and rewards looks and ways can help customers and managers justify sexual harassment in some ways. I mean, it's not right, but that is what's happening. And they basically said that to change the system, there need to be systems in place for employees to go when they have complaints, even if it's the manager is the one that's bothering them. There needs to be like a backup of where they can go if the manager is the one.
Speaker 3: Committing the.
Speaker 1: Harassment, and that there should be the same way that there's secret shoppers who come in to eat at a restaurant and tell you what you're doing wrong, there should secret people. There should be people that just drop in and interview the staff about what's going on and like allow them to have an opportunity to voice their concerns. And then they basically suggest that all employees should take bystander intervention training so that witnesses of harassment know how to identify and help women who experience it. And yeah, basically the restaurant industry really needs to firmly address customer based sexual harassment as well, Like they should be relying on managers to protect their employees from unwanted behavior from customers. So if like a customer is harassing someone like they need to be the server needs to be moved off the table on the first warning, and then if there's an if it happens again, they need the customer needs to be removed from the establishment. So just a few things that this article is suggesting for ways to stop it. But I'm also in the sister peg segment going to give you a resource.
Speaker 3: And yeah, that's kind of what's up.
Speaker 1: I have no idea what but Tally's up to now besides gearing up for that April court date. And it just sucks that a restaurant an industry that we enjoy so much. We love going out to eat, both you and I like it provides so much joy for people, and like it just can be a nightmare for people that are trying to like make ends meet and work under duress in shitty situations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's weird that all male dominated industries have so many problems.
Speaker 3: I wonder why, I mean, really seriously fucked up.
Speaker 1: I think whoever took over Batally like to somebody who took over at their business group was a woman like they and a lot of like the Spotted Pig was a huge thing. Like I actually knew a girl back in New York who was a big uh witness or a victim in the Spotted Pig thing, which Batally was an investor of. But it was the different owners of the Spotted Pig that were sexual harassing and uh, the Spotted Pig got a female manager. I think like they're all trying to bring in more females to positions of.
Speaker 3: Power to try to counteract some of that. Although I've heard of nightmare women bosses too, so of cour well that's or are they in the movies?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but our friends, the husband just got a new job and it's a female owner, and already he's noticed the differences and how amazing it is and how like you're encouraged to spend time with your family, you can make your own schedule like it just he's already realized how much better of an environment it was than his previous job.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, I mean, but then there's luscious grape, you know what I mean? There is luicious grape.
Speaker 1: All right, we do have an awesome house though, So yeah, let's get on the interview train.
Speaker 3: Babies.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're so excited about today's guest. She was a delight to talk to.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 1: Guys might recognize her from another Dick Wolf property called FBI, but you know her this week as Bethany Fisher.
Speaker 3: Please enjoy our chat with Sarah Abuse.
Speaker 2: When you auditioned for SVU, were you living in New York or LA and tell us about the audition process if you watched the show before, how did you feel when you got the part, all of that kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, Yeah, So I was living in New York and I was living in Crown Heights in a different apartment though, and I had auditioned for it, and you know these things.
Speaker 5: I'm sure as you know at this point they moved so quickly.
Speaker 4: So I think what happened is I went in for the audition and maybe like they were like, hey, can you come back later that day for a director's session.
Speaker 5: Maybe that's what happened, or maybe it was the next day.
Speaker 4: It was really soon though, and so I went back to the director session and Monica Raymond directed that episode.
Speaker 5: Who so lovely.
Speaker 4: She was one of the leads in another Dick Wolf show, like I think it was Chicago Med. Maybe she was the lead in for a while and she's a great actor, but this was her first time directing something.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I felt really good about it and I left and I was like, oh, I think maybe maybe it's possible.
Speaker 4: I got that and I was really excited when I booked it because it was my first television job.
Speaker 5: That alone made it really exciting.
Speaker 4: But I had never and I have still never to this day, seen a full episode of the show.
Speaker 3: Oh, oh my god, Oh my god.
Speaker 5: I can't believe I just told you so.
Speaker 3: You didn't even watch your episode.
Speaker 5: I watched some of it.
Speaker 4: I watched my parts, and then you know, buried my head in the sand. It was like ugh, and I watched like some of the other scenes, but I didn't watch the full episode start to finish.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, Wow, you're like one of the one percent of people on the planet maybe who have never watched a full episode of SVO.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm so fascinated by the fascination with the show, Like when I still we'll get text messages to this day or messages being like, oh my god, I saw you on STU And it's like the one thing that there's so many people who watch it and.
Speaker 5: I didn't even realize at the time.
Speaker 4: I knew it was a big show, but I didn't realize the this, you know, how many fans it had.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the actual like.
Speaker 4: Shooting of the episode was such a nightmare for me. Everyone on set was incredible. It's like such a well oiled machine over there, and people and not only is it a well oiled machine and everything is running so smoothly, but everyone is so.
Speaker 5: Kind and generous.
Speaker 4: But I, I mean you can sort of see, like when I looked back, I was like, oh yeah, I mean I basically had a panic attack on set, really bad. Like you can see when you're watching it that I kind of like break out in hives.
Speaker 3: Well, well, well take another watch. I did not. I didn't see the hivees.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can kind of see them on my chest where like when the makeup sort of starts to do.
Speaker 1: But maybe it's kind of good though, because like you are coming forward with kind of a great, like a really brave moment, and anybody would be like nerve wrecked and like you know, maybe breaking out in hives.
Speaker 4: Yeah maybe so yeah, maybe it worked, Maybe it worked, maybe it was all good, but yeah, it was one of those things where I just did everything that an actor like shouldn't do.
Speaker 5: Their first time on set.
Speaker 4: Like we were in the middle of shooting and I started getting really nervous and I was like not breathing, and I wasn't doing what the I felt the director wanted me to do, what Monica wanted from me, and I like wasn't getting there emotionally, and it was just so wrapped.
Speaker 5: Up in my head. And you know, one of.
Speaker 4: Those things that happened sometimes is like this isn't going well, and then your nerves get in the way and it's just keeps getting worse and worse, or at least that's what's happening inside your head.
Speaker 5: And I remember.
Speaker 4: Marishka was so lovely and just trying to like hold my hand and walk me through this, and Monica as well. She was She's like hey, She's like, let's take a step outside, and she takes a deep breath and she's like, this is my first time directing an episode on a TV show, And I was like, yeah, this is my first time acting and what she was like, Okay, great, let's just sit here and let's just do some breathing you and me, and she really like, I mean, it was incredible and she was so kind to do that because you know, time is money on set, and when you're wasting time, like it's annoying and it's costing people money. So she was really kind and patient with me. And of course I left that experience being like, I'm never gonna work in this town again, no one's ever gonna hire me again.
Speaker 5: And then I got a job.
Speaker 4: They're like two jobs later that I got another TV job was specifically because of my work on SVU, and then they wound up writing this like huge paragraph for me and like changing it from a co star to a guest star because they remembered me from SVU.
Speaker 5: So it was like, you know, wow, we're so hard on ourselves sometimes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, that's that's really cool though, that like they took the time to not be like snap out of it, you know, they kind of like worked with you and like gave you some encouragement.
Speaker 3: That's really awesome.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of also Marushka helping you out, so that scene where like you're with her and she gives you like the like I'm sorry that happened to you pity face.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how what does that feel like?
Speaker 1: I just feel like you're falling back and through it through a warmhole and time, Like how does it so funny? I like, the most compassionate person like in the world is looking at you like I'm sorry you went through that, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean she's really she's very generous. And it's so interesting because she has like very few lines, but I definitely remember in that scene, and I definitely remember feeling just like very her being very active and being with me and genuinely trying to comfort me. And I think that she's such a genuine person and that comes out in the role that she plays as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: And how is the scene where you walk into the precinct that's like a jealous you know, not we're not jealous, but that's a fun moment to be able to like walk in and everyone's standing there and be like.
Speaker 4: You know, yeah, that was the fun I'm laughing because in that scene, like as we were rehearsing it, Iced Tea is in that scene and he's just a really funny dude and I think he has to eat a bagel. And I just thought of this this morning. He I remember him saying.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is probably the big bagel episode. Oh my god, Yeah, I took a photo of it. Wait I took a picture of it.
Speaker 3: Wait are you serious? Area, because he said he's.
Speaker 1: Never eaten a bagel, and like, right as you're walking in, he's holding a full bagel, but he hasn't taken a bite out of it. Oh, and everyone was flipping out, And this timeline actually works out.
Speaker 3: We would have to double check it. But everyone was.
Speaker 1: Like, boo, what the fuck? Why have when you hit it a bagel? And he was like, grow up, you losers. I don't want to.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if this was the episode where people are like Ice is gonna try a bagel?
Speaker 4: Like, wait a second, it's this is an ongoing thing with him that he hasn't had a bagel.
Speaker 5: That wasn't a lie.
Speaker 3: Okay, no head that he said that.
Speaker 4: To us and me and I think it was Kelly or Peter were all standing there and we were like, you've never had a bagel. I didn't know that that was a thing before.
Speaker 1: Oh, you were there live, you were there as the story broke. Maybe I don't.
Speaker 4: Know, Maybe there was definitely I don't know, was that part of the original story. There's definitely a conversation happening with all of us, and everyone's in shock that a man who I think grew up in New York City right had never had a bagel, and we were just like.
Speaker 5: What are you You've never had a bagel?
Speaker 4: And he's like, he has this thing in his hands, and then I think he complained because it was cinnamon raisin too, or there was something else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it definitely looked like it had stuff in it, that bagel.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, But I don't know that he actually ever had any of it.
Speaker 1: I think he actually is a West Coast rapper, but he has at this point spent at least twenty plus years living in New York being on this show.
Speaker 3: But I think what happened was.
Speaker 1: During conversations with people like you, like the one that you're talking about, he started realizing, is this weird that I've never had a bagel? And then he said it on Twitter, I've never had a bagel, and that's when people went nuts. So I think you got in on the ground floor on this this whole yeah, because.
Speaker 4: There was definitely a lot of shock when he said it. There was just a lot of like, what, how is that possible that you can you can be an American person and never had a bagel before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was just in New York like last week from Halloween for a week and I maybe had four.
Speaker 4: Essentially when you come from LA you guys have Mexican food, but we have good bagels.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Wow, I can't believe you were there for actual bagel coverage.
Speaker 3: This is wow amazing. Okay.
Speaker 1: So this character is like loosely based on Christine blasi Ford and like it's crazy because like her testimony was the end of September, this episode.
Speaker 3: Aired the beginning of November.
Speaker 1: You must have shot it in like October or something.
Speaker 4: Yes, And actually the audition came up to maybe not even two days, maybe twenty four hours after that story broke after she said she came out and said Brett Kavanaugh did this to me when we were kids, Like twenty four not more than forty eight hours later is when I got that audition.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that show knows how to rip from the headlines quickly.
Speaker 5: Very quickly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it was very much I was told from like the very start and was told along the way by several people like this is the Christine Blasi Ford of this episode.
Speaker 3: That case.
Speaker 2: I remember I was in Santranchi, Like I remember where I was throughout that whole thing, And it was Karen and I when we were discussing this, she said, like, this was a low point.
Speaker 3: This was like right before midterm.
Speaker 2: It was just a really sad time and it was such a letdown for everyone. And I was just really emotionally fucked from that case. Like do you remember the vibe on set or how you felt, and like just any comment on that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean that I think this is part.
Speaker 4: I felt a huge responsibility to tell that story and to tell it well because it did really shake me also, and it was it wasn't just that it happened. It was the fact that there was a huge a number of people who wouldn't give her story credit at all, and that.
Speaker 5: That really pissed me off.
Speaker 4: And hearing her, I mean I watched her speak and at the hearing, and I mean, you couldn't not be touched by that and affected by it, and then against.
Speaker 5: What he had to say too, which was so infuriating. I mean that type of dude.
Speaker 4: I just feel like we all know that guy, and the fact that he still won and that he still has a seat and he's a Supreme Court justice makes me so angry.
Speaker 5: I think at the point that we started.
Speaker 4: Shooting this episode, there was definitely this feeling like I think when people were like, you're the Christine Blasi Ford of this episode, there was something behind it. They weren't just saying that as like a factual like this, No, it was women who were telling me that, and it was I think because they were feeling the weight of it too, and so it was it was said in this sort of way of maybe like you have this responsibility or maybe that's how I interpreted it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like we always talk on the podcast about how, like, you know, SVU is a fantasy world. So it's like, at least it's like a fantasy of a justice system that most women would like to see, you know. And so I feel like, at least in this episode, that guy's never going to be a politician, like that guy's you know, probably going to jail. So we got some justice for this this ada in Brooklyn, right.
Speaker 4: I think I even maybe had commented something when I had posted about it when after the show had aired, or just when it was about to I had maybe posted something like you know this has a better.
Speaker 2: Ending, hmmm, yeah, and you said something about like no one was a lot of people weren't giving credit to her story. And I remember seeing something that has affected me since, where like just imagining any young people who have been assaulted and then hearing their parents talk shit about her or not believe her in front of them, and like how that has influenced a whole younger generation to not come forward because of the way she was treated.
Speaker 3: And that makes me so mad too.
Speaker 4: Right, I mean it was so incredibly brave of her too. They were getting death threats. She had to move.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she lost her job, Like right, she was so terrified.
Speaker 4: This is like the last thing that but she had to She was so scared. But she had to overcome that because her speaking out to her was was way more important she felt at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because she probably knew she was not the only person like there, you know, once you get away with it, let's stopped again.
Speaker 3: But we'll switch directions. Yeah, to lighten things up.
Speaker 2: Obsessed with your jewelry, it's beautiful, My standard of jewelry I always say is like, would Jennifer Aniston wear it? And I think she would wear it?
Speaker 5: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw some Opal pieces. I'm an Opal fan.
Speaker 5: Nice I love opals too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I heard they're powerful, Yes, extremely powerful. Oh my gosh. She was so fun.
Speaker 1: And also if anybody's interested in her jewelry, it is called head found and her Instagram will obviously tag her on our Instagram, but it's basical b U E s icl and you can link to a lot of her jewelry, which we thought was very beautiful.
Speaker 3: Any thoughts on Hell's Kitchen?
Speaker 2: I mean, we're trying to go into the new year positive and I don't know, but it is just, you know, we look at history and we're like, how did things happen? And we are slowly sliding into I think, you know, a bad worst terrible moments. I don't know what's going to happen. But the Kavanaugh and the way victims are treated of sexual assault really add to it, and the farce of the investigation and what bullshit it was, and that he's serving on the court, and it's it's scary and fucked up. And they always say like they make us tired on purpose. So then we're like so used to the obscure and wild behavior that then Kyle Rittenhouse's judge can read a cookie catalog like and then we keep on moving and we're just like at a bar having fun, and then all this is happening and I don't really know what to say.
Speaker 3: It's just like scary and terrible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, I think for everybody that might be listening that works in the restaurant industry, you know, you don't have to like put your head down and you can definitely try to get.
Speaker 3: But you do. I mean, that's the thing.
Speaker 2: It's like we can all tell everyone like speak up, do it, but we we can't guarantee what anyone's gonna That's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everybody has their own and everybody has their own situation where like quitting might not be an option and stuff, but hopefully, hopefully you have a manager that you can go to or if it's your manager, of someone above them to at least give you temporary relief if it's not like legal relief. You know, like you don't have to like press charges, but you can like get someone to not work with the same shift as.
Speaker 2: You or whatever try to get some help. Yeah, it's such bullshit. Did we talk about this on this or somewhere else? But like when sometimes people are like, why do you perform at the cellar?
Speaker 3: What about Louie? Why do you do there?
Speaker 2: They perform, or like people have been doing that for the people that are at the Netflix as a joke of all. Someone was like, oh, you're all you all hate Chappelle and now you're going to do a festival a Chappelle And it's like, why are you asking.
Speaker 3: These people to leave their jobs? Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: It's like, why should I not be performing at a venue making money because they have a fucking creep there? Like what does that have to do with me? Like asking people to like not take opportunities and.
Speaker 3: Not make money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, take it up with annoying, Yeah, take it up with Netflix, like Chappelle should leave if anyone like to ask, like working comics who are like, oh fuck y, I need this gig.
Speaker 3: To not do it for morality is annoying. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's fully connected to this episode, but it's the way that I feel sometimes when people were like, then, what why'd you do that? And it's like, what am I supposed to do? I can't.
Speaker 1: It's like, well, I'm sure that, like, no, it does connect because I'm sure like in the restaurant world, people are like, oh, you're working at a Batali restaurant, Like, isn't he such a nightmare, And it's like, yeah, but I'm also bringing home like money that I need for my family and my life, and you know, like there's there's just nothing's black and white.
Speaker 3: You know. Yeah, listen, I don't know. We talked a lot.
Speaker 2: We could just keep it a quick send off, right, I mean, you guys know what, Yes, we hate everyone and everything except for the people we like.
Speaker 1: Cool, But I did want to for this week's what would Sister Peg Do, which is our weekly segment where we direct you guys towards a resource or a book or an article or something that'll give you more information about what we touched on in today's episode. I've been hearing about this organization for a really long time, and I think it fits in here with the harassment at restaurants and stuff, since literally the numbers are staggering that ninety percent of like women that work in the food service industry are harassed at some point, and a lot of times from customers. So this website, I'm sorry. This organization is called hollaback and it's www dot ihollaback dot org and it's a global people powered movement to end harassment in all its forms. And it does a lot of bystander training because like there's a lot of times where I I'm in a situation where I'm like, sometimes I do jump in, but sometimes I'm there and I'm like, I don't know. You got to trust your gut, but you don't know where how to jump in, how to make someone feel more safe. And they have online bystander training on this website that are.
Speaker 3: Really really helpful.
Speaker 1: And since two thousand and five they've worked on ending gender based harassment in the public space aka street harassment, which I think can extend to places of you know, public places like restaurants and transportation in the workplace.
Speaker 3: So go to ihallaback dot org.
Speaker 1: And obviously all of these are as usual in our stories the day of the release of the episode, and then in our WWSPD highlight on our Instagram.
Speaker 2: I do love that they went cool with their name. They're like, you know, what's going to get the youth involved.
Speaker 3: Halla Back, Halla Back Girl. And next week.
Speaker 2: Please join us in watching the episode name Season seven, episode seven.
Speaker 3: You'll know I will have something to say about that.
Speaker 2: A Hulu as always, Peacock VPN, sticks, your local library, all the jazz, or don't watch it at all, and we'll be here chatting away. Thanks so much of such a beautiful new year, and I hope you have a nice night that you don't put too many expectations on and all good stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have an amazing night and we'll talk to you guys in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 3: Bye bye. That's Messed Up is an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email at tho'ts Messed Up Pod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod and on Twitter at messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at karaclink and.
Speaker 3: At glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our producer Annalie Nelson and to our mixing engineer RYO baum Anton Henry Kaperski for our.
Speaker 1: Theme song, and to Carly Jean Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia Hardstark, Karen Kilgareff, Daniel Kramer, and everyone at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 2: Listen, subscribe, and leave us a review on Apple Podcast, Stitcher, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: Dun, dun,