Speaker 1: It's media podcast. Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer new Arth and today we're joined by Steve Jannis Brody, Max Randall, Mackenzie cal and Seth. This is a ten round quiz show with questions from meat Eater's for verticals which are hunting, fishing, conservation and cooking, and there is a prize. Mediater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners, choosing and for the stat of the week. This week we're updating our donation tracker through the podcast board, game, live tour and sponsors. Meat Eater Trivia has donated over one hundred and thirty thousand dollars to more than twenty different conservation organizations. A big thanks to our partners on x Athletic Brewing and of course Mediat for making sure that conservation always wins one hundred thirty thousand dollars over twenty Beautiful Beautiful now Here's our Infrequently Asked Question segment. If you have a trivia related question for our crew, send it to Trivia at the medeater dot com with the subject line I f AQ. Holly Roberts wants to know. Is Steve as fiery, feisty and grouchy when he's not playing trivia? I can't tell if he's putting on a show or if that's how he behaves around the office all the time. It's just in his.
Speaker 2: Office, but at his home as well. It's the same person, Steve.
Speaker 3: I mean if I get wrong at home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Steve, he's just always walking around being wrong and a little fiery, feisty and grouchy. I'll tell you this, I recently got a hug from Steve. That doesn't sound like a grouchy guy to me. One who else in here got a hug from Steve recently? Hmm, nobody.
Speaker 2: I've giving him a few hogs.
Speaker 1: Maybe we need a little right now, Okay, all right now, Max is the FAMI. Yeah, Mackenzie yeah, okay, look at that me Max and mckenson the other. Now, for the housekeeping portion of today's show, we're going to rewind all the way back to February when Brody hosted an episode of Media Trivia. If you recall, Brody wore a suit that day and left his hat at home. This inspired a lot of comedians to comment on YouTube and Instagram about Brodie's look. So today our crew is going to pick their favorite comment and then I'm going to send that person a signed copy.
Speaker 4: Of So we're like, we've got we've gotten solo that we're making fun of people's physical appearances.
Speaker 3: Old fashion nineteen eighties bullion. Yeah, you've opened up shipthead bullion. Right here, let's do it.
Speaker 5: And as sure Film has put a picture over from that episode up on our TV screen, So as I read our comments, look at that.
Speaker 1: All right, here are the comments. You guys need to remember your favorites will pick the best one.
Speaker 6: At the end, I should pick the best one.
Speaker 1: Brody will pick the best one, but the other seven folks in the room will for good. There in Brody looks like a Southern Baptist preacher. Not that Brody looks like Professor X. If Professor X became a politician, that one didn't land. Who's Professor X Phil.
Speaker 7: It's part of the X men.
Speaker 8: I forgot you pronoun.
Speaker 1: Here's the next one. It's nice you guys. Let a mortician host this week. Brody looks like boss Baby. That one's for younger children.
Speaker 3: Okay, he looks like the guy one of the sports guys.
Speaker 1: It's cool you got the guy from the six leg commercials. The host Brody takes it so seriously that he went with a windsor not.
Speaker 3: Brody. That's the only.
Speaker 9: Like.
Speaker 3: Brody wakes up trying to decide whatnot he's gonna pay.
Speaker 1: Brody probably had hair until he started playing trivia.
Speaker 6: No, it was gone a long time.
Speaker 1: Brody looks like would I imagine the banker from Neil Deal or No Deal? Looks like no, okay, I've never seen mister clean in a suit. Brody could definitely pass as a hockey coach. Here's the one that Steve was referencing. You guys got Scott van Pelte host this week. He is the guy from Sports Center. My man, Brody looks like he's heading to a traffic ticket hearing.
Speaker 4: I like that one, Brody. No one was actually funny. Like all these people comedians and a stretch are.
Speaker 1: Brody is dressing for the job he wants, not the one.
Speaker 6: No, that's like the exact.
Speaker 1: Brody looks like a high school sub who takes his job way too seriously, but also doesn't want to be there. So what what was the favorite among the room, traffic Brody, you picked that one as well? All right? That was from Tanner Bollers fourteen oh three. We're gonna send you a signed copy of the board game for saying, my man Brody looks like he's heading to a traffic ticket hearing that guy's funny?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 8: Is that tie tide when you put it on that morning?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 8: Oh, nicely done.
Speaker 1: The Shelby on the Shelby index for today is a three and a half, so our winner should get seven correct answers. And with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop, Phil, Look, I.
Speaker 6: Need to know what I stand under way for everything what I'm saying, you.
Speaker 1: Just tend to win everything, Demon Suckers. Question one. The topic is fishing, and this will be multiple choice. Which of these fish is not part of the sunfish family? Is it small mouth bass, black croppy, pumpkin seed, or white bass? Which of these fish is not part of the sunfish family? That means three of them are sunfish, one of them is not. Is it a small mouth bass, black croppie, pumpkin seed or white bass? Brodie Seth, Yanni. They all look confident, so easy, Steve must really think that I'm trying to cheat today. Okay, small mouth bass, black croppie, pumpkin seed, white bass. Which of those four fish is not in the sunfish family? Does everybody have an answer.
Speaker 3: We got?
Speaker 1: Do you like his answer?
Speaker 4: Brody too late to change it.
Speaker 1: Brody does not approve of Maxwell's answer.
Speaker 2: We have a new fun thing we do where if you promise not to change it and Brody knows it.
Speaker 1: Yes, Mackenzie, are you ready? It's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth saying white bass. Joanni says white bass, Cal says small mouths Randall says small mouth bass, Mackenzie black croppie, Steve white bass, Max small mouth, Brody white bass. The correct answer is white bass. I think three of you got that one right, four of you Seth, yeah, honey. Well. The white bass are part of the temperate bass family, along with striped bass, yellow bass, and white perch. Besides smallmouth, croppie and pumpkin seed, other members of the sunfish family include bluegills, green sunfish, warmouth, rock bass, and, as Steve said, largemouth bass. Question question two, the topic is conservation. This next great question is via Paul Graken. If you remove the last letter of the Western hemispheres most diverse desert, you'll have a dog breed instead. For your answer, you could write down the desert or the dog breed, whichever you'd like. If you remove the last letter of the Western hemispheres most diverse desert, you'll have a dog breed instead. Randall very quick to answer. He knows this one. The rest of the room it's yet to put marker to whiteboard. Randall, you know.
Speaker 6: This one, I believe so.
Speaker 1: If you remove the last letter of the Western hemispheres most diverse desert, you'll have a dog breed instead.
Speaker 2: Count do you.
Speaker 1: We have a lot of heavy hitters in the room here today, Yanni, who's won two straight.
Speaker 3: Diverse I mean biologically diverse.
Speaker 1: I am quoting a source. I will tell you the source afterwards, but this is a direct quote from them most diverse Desert. Randall's here today, Yanni's won two straight games. We've got Steve cal Brody Maxwell over here. He's always good. Oh and a perfect game. That's right. Maxwell will clean up if we have any North Dakota questions today. If you remove the last letter of the Western hemisphere's most diverse desert, You'll have a dog breed instead. Randall may be the only one who gets this one right. You come up with this question, well, Paul Craken sent in the inspiration for it, and then I had to massage it to get it to a point where it felt like I could give our players a chance. Mean it's I will tell.
Speaker 3: You, as a guy asking the question, you should probably have some idea. What the hell you're talking?
Speaker 1: I know what I'm talking about, But are you?
Speaker 8: Are you choosing between two deserts that both when he removes us?
Speaker 6: I think I think I can tell you.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to figure out how hard I need to think about that super dry ass desert and chili?
Speaker 1: Mmm?
Speaker 3: Do I need to spend a bunch of time thinking about that? That's the damn dry There's no life. There's place that has been rain in over one hundred and fifty years, maybe never the only That's what I'm saying. Do you mean diverse by how damn dry it is?
Speaker 1: Why would it?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 1: Why would it mean diverse because of how dry it is? You need to come up with the desert that's one letter away from also being a dog breed cal Do you have this one right?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, Callan Randall may be the only ones and they did not get questioned one right? Could tie it up here?
Speaker 10: Time to wrap this up, Spencer for a while, I'm thinking on the bass question. Like when they talk about bass conservation in North America, they refer to.
Speaker 6: As like.
Speaker 9: Sunfish, but like bass is a family of fish, like stripe bass, white bass temperate completely different than fresh water sunfish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I always thought small mouth were in lumpy with the black bass.
Speaker 1: They are a black well, they're they're part of the sunfish family, so it'd be sunfish and then you have black bass and then you have out but they're not is everybody?
Speaker 7: Is that?
Speaker 2: Where comes from?
Speaker 1: Everybody?
Speaker 2: Ready? Go ahead and reveal your answer.
Speaker 1: A bit we have seth without an answer, the Mojave and Mackenzie saying Chihuahua or Chihuahuan Max, he's being a good sport, he shows ships to uh his not being had Mohave, Mohave and bro answer. The correct answer is the Chihuahuan desert or the Chihuahua dogs.
Speaker 3: When I was a graduate school, I even wrote a paper for Western History seminar about the Chiuahuan Desert being like a biological barrier for the spread of hallucinogenics out of meso American to the American Great Plains, and it didn't didn't.
Speaker 6: Stick with you.
Speaker 1: Both the Chihuahuan Desert and Chihuahua Wi, a dog breeder named after the Mexican state of Chihuahua. According to the National Park Service, not only is it one of the most diverse places in the world, but it's also one of the most endangered. The region's unique plant and animals there are threatened by overgrazing, water depletion, invasive species, and urbanization. Question three. The topic is Abody's Funting. This is our listener question of the Week, which was won by Ben Cosgrow for sending this great question. Ben is going to get a board game signed by the crew. If you want a chance to win our listener Question of the Week, then send your question to Trivia at the Meat Eater dot com.
Speaker 3: You know how you're generally resistant to change. I feel like a good.
Speaker 1: Line general people in general, Spencer, Okay.
Speaker 6: Your day.
Speaker 3: You know what I was thinking about would be a good little thing for you to explore. Tellent is that you bring in a stuffed fish, or just have a picture of a fish. What fish is this?
Speaker 1: Well, you should have been here about three weeks ago. We had a picture of a hybrid fish. You had to identify what two fish created that fish.
Speaker 3: Text you about that idea fish right after you hugged him the fish.
Speaker 1: The fish was a stertlefish, and that was an American paddlefish, a photo sturgeon. We did do a photo thing. Here's the question number three, in what decade did J C. Penny and Sears stop selling guns? In what decade did J C. Penny and Sears stop selling guns? Your answer? If you thought they stopped selling guns yesterday, you'd say the twenty twenties. That's how you should write your answer. In what decade did J C. Penny and Sears stop selling guns?
Speaker 2: So we have to have four digits, is what you're saying.
Speaker 1: I think you should. That's correct. Did anybody in here ever buy a gun from Jcpenny or Sears?
Speaker 8: That'd be quite a clue when they looked at.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, I sure looked at a lot of those old old catalogs.
Speaker 2: Wasn't J. C.
Speaker 6: Higgins one of their brands?
Speaker 1: That was the well I'm not. I'm not gonna tell you any hints. Is everybody ready making a little change?
Speaker 2: Well, I have a Sears boat.
Speaker 1: Answer? A Sears boat?
Speaker 6: Ye tell me about that came with my shack?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 1: Is it like a Sears branded boat?
Speaker 3: Fact? I think you wanted me to find out what kind of boat it was that I dug down and all the moss and ship and low and beholds?
Speaker 1: Do you know who made it for Sears? No? Okay? Is everybody ready? Brodie is thinking hard?
Speaker 3: You know the old days you just send uh, you can send furs into Sears. They were fur buyers.
Speaker 1: At one point they were the biggest department store in the world. So I imagine we got anything that you could name they would buy? Or is everybody ready tun changing? Kenzie making a last second change? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have seth saying the nineteen eighties, Giannis says nineteen nineties, Cal nineteen nineties, Randall nineteen eighties, Mackenzie nineteen eighties, Steve nineteen seventy.
Speaker 8: Eighty, Max, look how my eight shit?
Speaker 1: Max nineteen eighties, Brody nineteen sixties. We have a correct answer in the room it's nineteen eighties.
Speaker 6: We had three of meals.
Speaker 1: Get that one right. A nineteen seventy six J. C. Pennyad list the Remington eight seventy on sale for one hundred and forty eight dollars, in the Winchester ninety four for eighty nine dollars. In A Sears ad from nineteen seventy five lists a twenty five count box of twelve gage shotgun set shotgun shells on sale for two dollars in a twenty count box of two forty three shells for six dollars. Besides those stores, you could also buy guns at Kmart, True Value Hardware, Montgomery Ward Furniture, and Westernato. For more on this era, read one of my favorite articles from the medieater dot com called an ode to department store guns.
Speaker 2: Well, didn't you say the ads were listed in the seventies.
Speaker 1: Those were ads that I found from the seventies, but they sold into the eighties. Oh that's a weird way of doing things, so well, I could I couldn't find an ad from the eighties. Now, Brody, you were talking about Higgins. They were J. C. Higgins guns, which I think were that There was the Ted Williams brand. Was it was it the Ted Williams brand.
Speaker 6: I don't know. I just.
Speaker 1: Sold out.
Speaker 5: I have a J. C.
Speaker 9: Higgins.
Speaker 8: I think it says I've got a Western auto.
Speaker 1: You do?
Speaker 8: Yeah, that I bought at the one Apol Sports in Helena.
Speaker 1: The most maybe the most shocking thing besides prices, when I was looking at those catalogs was how prevalent the sixteen gage was. All kinds of ammal, all kinds of guns that we're sixteen gage. Here's question four. The topic is natural history. The Amazon's Marubo tribe became hooked on social media and porn after getting Wi Fi from this internet provider. The Amazon's Marubo tribe became hooked on social media and porn.
Speaker 6: Have questions about internet?
Speaker 2: Does this have like.
Speaker 10: This?
Speaker 1: This feels like something that would be addressed on the media, your podcast. This recent spencer not going to give you any hints. I'm surprised we haven't covered as heard.
Speaker 3: This.
Speaker 1: We we're watching natural history unfold with this subject. At some point that you know they'll look back on this in eighty years, I'd be like, oh, that was when that tribe got Internet. Is everybody ready.
Speaker 2: And you don't say social media.
Speaker 1: They got social media. They had a took a real liking.
Speaker 3: Not engineering.
Speaker 2: I want to know the search terms they used.
Speaker 3: Did they have the device before the Wi Fi?
Speaker 1: I wonder I don't know the answer to that. The Amazon's Marubo tribe became hooked on social media and porn after getting Wi Fi from this internet provider. Is everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have set and be honest and cal and Randall saying Starlink, Mackenzie Telecom, Steve, Starlink, Max Google, Brody, Starlink, they got it. The correct answer is Starlink. The reclusive Amazon tribe received internet from Starlink about nine months ago. Initially, the Wi Fi was heralded as a positive, helping the isolated Marubo gain educational resources and contact authorities during emergencies, but it has since divided the two thousand member tribe that lives deep inside Brazil's rainforest. Elders in the community complained that some members have developed a social media and porn addiction, with one seventy three year old saying quote, young people have gotten lazy because of the Internet. They're learning the ways of the white people.
Speaker 2: Dan, did you hear about this Biden guy?
Speaker 3: Brody?
Speaker 1: I feel like that's very relevant to meat eater. Like I said, that was a turning point for this very.
Speaker 3: Just each other. It was good. So I got.
Speaker 1: I like that, got that one right. Question five?
Speaker 3: Interest in that and I'm interested in those tribes.
Speaker 1: The topic I'll the topic is conservation. This next great question is via Randy r what's the colorful nickname for the harmful algae ballooms that occur nearly every year in the Gulf of Mexico. What's the colorful nickname for the harmful algae blooms that occur nearly every year in the Gulf of Mexico.
Speaker 8: So this guy's Randy? Are nice?
Speaker 1: Is that I don't know him?
Speaker 8: No, I don't know him.
Speaker 1: But Brody has this one right. Max looks confident, Randa looks confident. Yanni joins them with an answer. This is question five. We'll get a scoreboard update from Filled the engineer after this. What's the colorful nickname for the harmful algae blooms that occur nearly every year in the Gulf of Mexico. Man Steve Knows It done podcasts on this which is odd because he hasn't come up with an answer yet.
Speaker 3: No, I okay, I can't think of it. Somebody recalls not what it once was.
Speaker 1: He knew the chihuahua deaths as well.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that you wrote a.
Speaker 1: Whole paper about it.
Speaker 3: Well, I hope, but it didn't occur. Recalls not what it once was.
Speaker 1: What's the colorful nickname for the harmful algae bloom that occurs nearly every year in the Gulf of Mexico. The topic was conservation, and this is question five. It is everybody ready? Is it harmful for animals or harmful?
Speaker 8: I'm sure he'll tell us that, Max.
Speaker 1: I bet right, Max, that was that was brutal. Everybody. It's everybody ready, colorful nickname for the harmful algae blooms. Sorry, Max, don't let it happen again.
Speaker 8: There's just a lot of you know, a lot of questions as the days, Too many questions in this room.
Speaker 3: Sometimes you're warranted.
Speaker 1: It's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have set and and cal and Randall saying red tide. Mackenzie says black algae. Steve says red tide. Max says red Brody says red tide. The correct answer is red tide. Most of the room got that one.
Speaker 2: I thought, well, that's my first spearfish and nickname?
Speaker 7: Does Max get a point for?
Speaker 2: And coming up with fish being like, what is this?
Speaker 1: Red tide happens when l G multiplies to higher than normal concentrations that cause the water to turn red or brown. These events caused large scale die offs of shrimp, crabs, and fish. Red tide occurs worldwide, but has become more frequent in recent years due to increased nutrient pollution. Phil we're halfway through the game of trivia, give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 7: Well, the chance of a perfect game was gone by question two, but we still got a couple of strong players. Max has one, Max has one, Mackenzie has two, Steve Giannis, Callim Brody. All have three points and tied up in first plays A Randall and Seth with four points.
Speaker 3: Taste of their.
Speaker 4: Even Seth, be careful, Seth special will start making fun.
Speaker 6: Of how you look.
Speaker 1: Question six. The topic is woodsmanship and this next great question is via Janet Staples. This nine letter word refers to a plant that grows somewhere. It wasn't deliberately planted, such as corn growing in a bean field. This nine letter word refers to a plant that grows somewhere it wasn't deliberately planted, such as corn growing in a bean field. The room looks very confident on this one. We may have a one hundred percenter.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, nine letters.
Speaker 2: If you drop one, it sounds like a dog.
Speaker 1: Okay, everybody on you get that, Spencer. I did get that, everyone except maybe Mackenzie and Brodie.
Speaker 3: I thought I was convinced I had it, but then I got to count.
Speaker 1: Maybe you just gotta spell it differently, Randall, do you have I don't approach, I always take. This nine letter word refers to a plant that grows somewhere it wasn't deliberately planted, such as corn growing in a bean field.
Speaker 8: Is sure it's not eight letters?
Speaker 3: That's what I'm wondering.
Speaker 1: I am certain. Maybe I just I just I just recounted. It's still nine, just like it was yesterday when I wrote this question. Very good, Yanni. This nine letter word refers to a plant on the old somewhere U wasn't deliberately planet, such as corn growing in a bean field. The topic was woodsmanship. This is question six. Seth and Yanni very very confident call you have this one right as well. Okay they may be are only.
Speaker 6: I'm packing it in for this round.
Speaker 1: We threw him off with the housekeeping section was mean was never the same after is everybody ready?
Speaker 10: I was catching crap for my bright top of my head the other day to I was like, well, that's the way it's supposed.
Speaker 8: To be, right.
Speaker 1: Oh, Steve is now revisiting a previous answer. It appears.
Speaker 7: We go everybody or Max was just showing him his board and Steve the no, I counted it wrong.
Speaker 1: One go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth and the honest and cal saying volunteer Randall without an answer. Mackenzie, this is non native. Steve and Max say volunteer Croudy without an answer. The correct answer is volunteer. The room did pretty well.
Speaker 2: Seth jumps into the it's not the first time.
Speaker 1: Another name for volunteer plants is rogue plants. Volunteer plants are often spread by wind and birds, or when seeds from a previous crop rotation grow the following year. Some examples of volunteer plants or soybeans growing in a ditch, sunflowers growing in a wheat field, where marijuana plants growing in a pasture. Legal language has had to be created for volunteer plants because marijuana is so prone to growing where it wasn't planted out here.
Speaker 2: Decorative lilies, there's tons of them, Tulips.
Speaker 3: Your compost pile will have a lot of volume.
Speaker 6: I've got some volunteer letters.
Speaker 3: I got a buddy who's a surveyor, and one time they were out surveying this area ahead of these guys clearing a lot. And he's out survying and realized that this area is just all weed plants, and they're working and guys are clearing, and he's just checking some stuff as they clear, and so he's like, I'm gonna come back after work and gather.
Speaker 1: All that up.
Speaker 3: And he goes home and by the time he could get back, it's all gone.
Speaker 1: Question seven.
Speaker 3: That same guy told me a story. They were surveying the line in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and cut the line. They had to go through the hemlocks, you know, and they're running a chainsaw and the deer were real starving that year. He says, you'd clear that line, and then you couldn't look down with the equipment because deer would be blocking it. And then it'd have a guy run down and try to show the deer out of the way, so you could wow.
Speaker 1: That guy had all the scouting on weed and deer.
Speaker 3: There's another story.
Speaker 2: Go out there and run the chainsaw on the deer. Come round.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you this last thing. He's very similar to the weed store. He had a job for a while doing fish surveys for the state Gilnet surveys, and they were not allowed to keep the fish. They had to dump the fish. So he was the same thing. You'd go home, get your own truck in your own ice box, and go back out and pick up all the fish you weren't.
Speaker 1: Allowed to keep. He was living the high life man, Weed, Deer and Fish. Question seven. The topic is public.
Speaker 8: Land podcast title.
Speaker 1: This week long family event has been held on Forest Service Land since nineteen seventy two. This week long family event has been held on Forest Service Land since nineteen seventy two. Randall and Steve have an answer, Yanni joining them. Brody is exasperated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is bizarre.
Speaker 1: It's a week long family event. It's been held on Forest Service land since nineteen seventy two. Steve, do you have this one?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 3: No, unless you're being kind of cute.
Speaker 1: Okay, Randall, do you have this? Yeah?
Speaker 2: That's that's he's never cute.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's never cute.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 10: Well, I mean anybody can go get an extended use permit for any Forest Service ground. And if you want to have a family reunion, you're over since nineteen seventy two, the.
Speaker 2: Cow's family reunion. Right, Yeah, it's like everybody wants to know about that.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, yep, I'm Yanni Randallson.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna fight with you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just I'm telling you normally I get.
Speaker 3: The fighting when i'm wrong. No, it's better to fight when you're No, I'll be fighting when i'm right. Sure, I got it right, Let's talk about how stupid that was?
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready?
Speaker 8: I think there's ways you could massage this to make it this week long family event.
Speaker 1: Family events has been held on Forest Service land.
Speaker 10: Since this is a national thing, this.
Speaker 1: Federally endorsed activity. I've given you all the information. A great question, more than one that's been since and a week long since nineteenth, and it's always on.
Speaker 2: Memorial Day weekend. Is everybody weekend?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but.
Speaker 10: I think you should go ahead and reveal your answers.
Speaker 1: Seth saying Burning Man. Yanni says Rainbow Gathering. Caw without an answer, Randall Rainbow Family Gathering. Steve says, Steve says Rainbow Gathering, Max says Church Camp, Brody says Rainbow Festival. The correct answer is the Rainbow Gathering the but I.
Speaker 3: Think there's been years when they've had it on private lane.
Speaker 1: The long answer is the Rainbow Family of Living Light National Gathering. So that's why the question said a week long families.
Speaker 3: I feel like they've had shame on me.
Speaker 2: For thinking hunting and fishing.
Speaker 3: You know, well, it is because it's been a lot of there's been a lot of controversy about how degraded those landscapes can get.
Speaker 1: The Rainbow Gathering attracts about seven thousand people each year.
Speaker 2: It's just a free oatmeal you can get.
Speaker 1: It's a celebration of utopian impulses, bohemianism, and hippie culture. The Forest Service says the group has no leaders or organization, but does have a vision council who picks where each event will be held. Despite the next Rainbow Gathering being less than a month away. No official location has been selected yet. A Facebook group I found strongly suggests it'll be in Washington or California, but there are rumors that Oklahoma is a dark horse candidate.
Speaker 6: I feel like you're.
Speaker 3: Using a little sub fusion that, yeah, you might want to check your facts, because I don't think they've always had it on Forest Service Land.
Speaker 1: From what I could find, from where they have it, it's always been.
Speaker 2: Drugs aren't allowed, but if you want drugs, it's a good place to find it.
Speaker 3: Do you have more feedback this country quotation marks.
Speaker 8: Around the family rainbow.
Speaker 1: I originally had the but I removed I thought it made it too easy, so I rolled it back to this, and I'll point out I think four of you got that right. So I feel good about how I would feel great. Question, you're not giving it to me?
Speaker 6: Did you get it?
Speaker 1: You got it? Yeah? I think we had Yeah, Rainbow.
Speaker 6: Rainbow Festival close enough, I said.
Speaker 1: The short answers the rainbow gathering.
Speaker 2: The long answer.
Speaker 1: Long answer is the rain I've never heard no one call it festival, the rainbow family, the rain.
Speaker 3: How many points. Has he got anyway? Does it matter?
Speaker 1: Here's question eights. The topic is fished, monkfish, calibit, pike, and burbot. All go by this three word nickname. Monkfish, cod, hell of bit, pike, and burbot. All go by this three word nickname. The room seems pretty stiff.
Speaker 2: You just want to shout it out after that last one.
Speaker 1: Cal, I'll remind the listeners. Cal got that one wrong, but I knew the answer. He knew the answer, but he didn't write the answer down. Because my god, Cal and Steve appear to be confident on question A. Yanni, Yanni and Steve monkfish, cod, hellibit, pike, and burbot. I'll go by.
Speaker 2: So he's the that we talked about earlier, and I've been like, well, the Johnsons have been partying on forest service lands since nineteen shot seventy.
Speaker 1: You could have gotten that, Like Cal.
Speaker 2: You'd be like, well, no, not that family.
Speaker 1: If you could have proven that, I'd give you the point the week long Johnson family gathering on forest service land.
Speaker 3: So Cal has a plea to the audience. If you know a family that started an annual gathering for service lease can.
Speaker 2: Since nineteen seventy him, I mean, did you have that as your answer?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 6: What he did not write?
Speaker 8: A psypothetical family gathering occurs.
Speaker 1: Proved again. Question is state fishing names Johnson, monkfish, cod Hall, a bit, pike, and burbot. I'll go by this three word nickname.
Speaker 3: A lot of these I have not heard, throwing me, but I'll play your game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I can for sure know that too. Out of this list, I've heard.
Speaker 1: The Rainbow gathering. They have the national gathering right, and then I think there's some smaller local ones as well.
Speaker 2: The Rainbow Gathering, the Rainbow family.
Speaker 1: The Rainbow Gathering.
Speaker 8: I wouldn't have long name. I wouldn't have stirred the hornet's nest. Again here with an additional.
Speaker 1: Little last year. Last year was a real upset. It was held in New Hampshire.
Speaker 2: But upset when it's in your home state. Oh yeah, in my lifetime.
Speaker 3: Remember it being a big old deal out every got work. It's like the Hell's Angels.
Speaker 6: That was.
Speaker 3: That was a wild summer.
Speaker 1: Does everyone have an answer for the three word nickname?
Speaker 6: What happened? It's all up, yeah, but they're not out there messing up public land.
Speaker 3: I bet well, it was a lot going on.
Speaker 1: The Forest Service website said that the Rainbow Gathering Vision Council now sticks around for weeks afterwards to help clean up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the guy rode in was he writing in about the rainbow gathering or burn and man where they take those squares and to monitor the cleanup. Eventually you have to get where you can throw a meter square out randomly on the ground and then within that meter square only one piece of like the tritis is permissible or something like that.
Speaker 2: Weird?
Speaker 1: Is everybody right?
Speaker 10: Like Microra, go ahead and reveal your answers.
Speaker 1: We have Seth and Giannis and cal and randall saying poor Man's lobster McKenzie without an answer, and we have Steve maxim Brod. He's saying poor man's lobster.
Speaker 6: They got it.
Speaker 1: The correct answer is poor Man's lobster. The poor Man's lobster nickname is to be region specific for fish with firm white filets. A typical recipe calls for boiling the fish in a pot of water with sugar and salt and then dipping it in butter. But if you're making the real thing, check out general Roselle's recipe on the media dot com called how to make the Perfect Lobster Roll. Phil, we have two questions left. Give us a scoreboard, O day, get.
Speaker 7: Mackenzie and Max. You're no longer in the running for the victory, Cal and Brody. You have five points apiece and we have a.
Speaker 3: Four way tie for first place. Steve, I have six points.
Speaker 1: Here's question nine. The topic is hunting. What state leads the world in Colombia? Blacktail Boone and Crocket and Trees? What state leads the world in Colombia? Blacktail Boone and Crocket entries? This is question Now we have a four way tie currently, we haven't had a tie breaker in quite a while. I love to see that happen today. What state leads the world in Colombia? Black Tail Boone and Crockett Entrees?
Speaker 6: Has the rainbow gathering bend to this?
Speaker 1: This state gonna give you any hints? Hm? M Randall making a change? Maybe he's thinking about making a change. Steve's noises imply he's thinking about making a change. What state leads the world in Colombia? Black Tail Boone and Crockett Entrees? Brodie, how do you feel about your awesome, real good. Okay, Yanny, what you know about blaail? Don't even know if I've laid eyes on one. There's some we're laying around, some hints.
Speaker 2: See what state was it?
Speaker 3: California?
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready?
Speaker 3: But it ain't what I got?
Speaker 1: Really Okay, Okay, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have seth and the Honest and cal and Randall saying California. Mackenzie says Arizona, Steve says Oregon, Max Washington, Brody Oregon. The correct answer Washington is California. We had Steve, Yanni, cal and Randall. Get that one right. California has nine hundred eight Boone and Crockett entries for typical and non typical black tail deer. That's followed by Oregon with five hundred and twenty four, Washington with two hundred and sixty eight, in British Columbia with fifty. Although California has the most entry, the world record typical black tail was killed in Washington and the world record non typical black tail was killed in Oregon.
Speaker 3: The reason I didn put California down is all they do is complain about their deer hunt.
Speaker 1: Well, if you add up all the other states.
Speaker 10: But they also stretch a lot of tape in California and things that you're like, that is a mule deer, They're like, nope, it was west of the Highway.
Speaker 1: What I was thinking that was question nine. Here's a review of our nine correct answers so far for the listeners at home. One was White Bass, two Chihuahuan three nineteen eighties, four Starlink, five, Red Tide, six Volunteer, seven The Rainbow Gathering, eight poor Man's Lobster, and nine California Phil. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 7: Let's see Brody is now eliminated, but we have Stephen Cow with six points and then tied up in first place with seven are Jannis randallin seth Okay.
Speaker 3: I could totally picture like crazy questions.
Speaker 1: Only I know man into the game. Question ten, The topic is cooking.
Speaker 7: Go ahead and grab that one, you special speed if.
Speaker 8: You want another huh?
Speaker 1: Topic is cooking? Name all three parts of poultry that are defined as giblets according to the U s d A. If you'd like to argue with this one, cal you argue with the us DA.
Speaker 2: Getting ahead of it.
Speaker 1: Answer name all three parts of poultry that are defined as giblets.
Speaker 6: This could make your situation tough, Steve.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have what is that called? Max? Well, we have three people tied in first place right now, two people right behind them.
Speaker 3: Put on parsons, nose boys.
Speaker 1: Name all three parts of poultry that are defined as giblets?
Speaker 4: Is this a stuff that comes in that paper package, that soaked, bloody paper package inside a store bought?
Speaker 3: It's never it's like that that waxt yes, put down?
Speaker 2: Do you guys think that's what it is?
Speaker 1: Steve? Do you think you have this one? Right?
Speaker 9: It?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Okay? How do you feel about your answer?
Speaker 10: I got two out of the through Okay.
Speaker 2: That don't isn't there usually four things that come out.
Speaker 1: Well according to the US, are.
Speaker 3: About it later.
Speaker 1: Three are officially giblets.
Speaker 8: I've erased all three of my answers and rewritten. I've written down five answers total, and a just erased each one of them and replaced one with another.
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready, Randal, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have set saying heart, gizzard liver Yanni says, gizzard liver heart.
Speaker 3: Well, story, guys, they told that little neck in there.
Speaker 1: Cal says gizzard, heart, livery crossed out neck. Randall says gizzard, liver, heart, Mackenzie says gullet, heart liver, Steve says gizzard, heart liver, Max says liver and gizzard. Brodie says liver, heart, gizzard.
Speaker 2: What's the difference between a gullet and a gizzard?
Speaker 1: Like a pelican? They like that thing's gullet. Well, no, it's not right. The three correct answers are heart, liver, and gizzard. I think we had everyone in first place.
Speaker 2: Get that right.
Speaker 1: That means we're going to overtime play the drop.
Speaker 3: Phil had little such a place.
Speaker 6: Finish there. I'm just one of the best.
Speaker 8: I can remember first.
Speaker 3: Your laughs and then like going to other stuff.
Speaker 1: It's funny.
Speaker 3: I never liked it, A filed cough man.
Speaker 1: Now back to question ten. The USDA made an official statement on this in March of twenty twenty four with a question on their website. They declared that although the neck is often packaged with the heart, liver, and gizzard, it's not technically a giblet. For a great giblet recipe, check out Danielle Pruitt's recipe on the mediator dot com called wild giblet gravy here? What's up?
Speaker 8: Just thinking?
Speaker 3: How pretentious person?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 8: Technically that's not a giblet.
Speaker 1: Who who's in the overtime round here?
Speaker 2: Jannis, randallin Seth?
Speaker 1: Honest?
Speaker 3: Randall, so you were saying you were eating giblets on the night of Mark? Did that understand your nibbling on a net?
Speaker 1: The tie breaking topic is fishing in This tie breaking question is via Steve Hanrahan, how many rivers in America share a name with a state? We'll have everybody write down an answer, because if somebody can put it right on the nose, meat eater will add an extra one hundred dollars to the donation. At the end of the game. The three people left, though competing for the victory. Randall, Jannis and Seth. How many rivers in America share a name with a state? We'll give you some time to think about this. Brody was quick to answer, Brody, tell me about your strategy here?
Speaker 6: No, I can't.
Speaker 1: Doesn't want to give away his strategy.
Speaker 6: O case, I'm right, exactly.
Speaker 1: Right, I see is making check marks? Yanni? Are you writing down the states that you know of? Okay? Yes, Randall? What's your strategy down.
Speaker 8: There, started writing down states that I know of?
Speaker 1: How many rivers in America share a name with a state? What was the winning score of their film? Was at seven or eight? Eight points? For Randall, Yanni, and Seth. This is a numerical question, So whoever is the closest between those three will be declared the winner. You know, something that's never happened is we've never had to go to a tiebreaker off of a tiebreaker. That'd be kind of fun, but I'm always ready with two backup tiebreaker questions.
Speaker 8: It seems unlikely.
Speaker 1: Seems unlikely. Randall has declared how many rivers in America share a name with a state? How much time you think you boys are gonna need?
Speaker 2: I started West coast and on the right now?
Speaker 1: Okay, I could only think of four?
Speaker 3: What I put way higher?
Speaker 1: Oh? Okay, who's cheating? Oh wow?
Speaker 2: Down?
Speaker 1: How many rivers in America share a name with a state? What's the podcast you guys got to record after this? Phil the Musky guy? Oh? Is it Larry? What's okay? He's joining? Virtually? Is he in the office today? All right? It would be a good show. Yanni has done with his answer. Seth is done with his answer. Randall, We're waiting on you.
Speaker 8: I'm done.
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready? Calm oh, and Randall is making a last second change.
Speaker 8: I don't know why it matters.
Speaker 6: I'm just going back to one digit.
Speaker 8: Are you?
Speaker 1: Are you ready? I'm ready?
Speaker 2: Go ahead? You like to win?
Speaker 1: Rand ahead, and your answers. We have cal says seven, Mackenzie says twelve. Actually, Steve says six, Max says thirteen, Brody says forty seven. In our three players remaining in the game, we have Seth saying eight, Yannis saying.
Speaker 3: I got way more to don't. Don't do my number. Don't put my number in there.
Speaker 1: Randall saying eleven. The correct answer is sixteen, making Rando our winner. Yes, he was five from the correct answer.
Speaker 8: That final answer changed one in for me.
Speaker 6: Otherwise you'd had ten, I had ten, and then we would went.
Speaker 1: To another tiebreaker. Those sixteen states are Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Wisconsin. Those are the sixteen states that shared with Florida in there did not have Florida in there. Randall, you are our winner. Where is the five hundred dollars donation from meat Eater going to go?
Speaker 8: It's going to go to the uh the Missouri Chapter of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers.
Speaker 1: Very specific? Why why the Missouri chapter?
Speaker 8: We met a river named we met, Yes, indeed, and we met a very nice gentleman at b h a rendezvous who shared with us some pop pop put.
Speaker 6: I think you're wrong about those answers.
Speaker 8: And really ok, I was trying to pull up his name real quick and I couldn't, but uh shout out to that man and his kids. They're they're passionate trivia followers, and he yes that we make a donation.
Speaker 1: At some point it looks like you're right. There is a here's there's a Florida river. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 8: Then it's seventeen I stole from that generous I think there could be dozens.
Speaker 1: Well, Randall still had the highest answer. It's probably a future housekeeping section. We've realigned. Randall has given the five hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: Well, so you can go find a bunch of you know what I'm saying, You can go find a bunch of obscured little triggers.
Speaker 1: But yeah you said, join us next time for more. The only game show Conservation.
Speaker 3: Always with thanks Spencer for the once in my life trying to back the guy up down there.
Speaker 11: Yeah, Spencer him South Dakota. He's the hose using those smooth, mellow tones. He lays them questions down. He likes taking those two and three year old bucks. An avid amateur