Speaker 1: In Case You Missed It with Christina Williams is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. What's Up, y'all, welcome to another edition of In Case You Missed It with Christina Williams. And I am super excited to be back home for a couple of days. So I went to Nashville for opening weekend of Athletes Unlimited Basketball. And for those of you who do not know what AU is, it's a pro women's basketball league that lasts for a month from February to the first week of March. And for the first year they were in Las Vegas, then they did two seasons in Dallas, and now they're in Nashville, so bringing pro basketball to Nashville. There's a lot of WNBA players there, and what makes AU super unique is that they have different rosters every week, so a new draft every week, and they have a different kind of point system with the leaderboard, and at the end of the competition, there's actually one champion as opposed to an entire team. So AnyWho, I was super excited to go to Nashville and visit Athletes Unlimited. Always good to just be in and around women's sports. So, you know, I didn't have a lot of time to tour Nashville, but me and Friend to the Show, Taarrika Foster Brasby, we did have a chance to visit the African American Music Museum, and so that was really fun. We had some really good food and it was just a really good time. So I'm happy to be back in New York, and you know, there's so much to talk about. And here joining me this week to help break down the latest and greatest and women's basketball and beyond is friend to the Show, Natalie Esquire. She is a producer and sports reporter, and I am super excited to have her back on the show. Natalie, How are.
Speaker 2: You doing, Christina? Always such a warm welcome for you. Thank you so much. I am doing better. I also, like you, was traveling also to cover women's sports.
Speaker 3: I was in New Orleans.
Speaker 2: No, not for the super Bowl, right, there was actually something else going on, if you can believe that. I was covering the Sports Power Brunch, which you know, honors really powerful women in sports. And so I went down to New Orleans to cover that and I got back and girl, I came down with the flute. So if I sound a little nasally, please forgive me. But I'm better than I was the last few days.
Speaker 3: But I'm not fully back there yet.
Speaker 2: But I'm envious because I love Nashville and the food in Nashville is great, and it looks like you guys had a great time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, listen, I'm so sorry you're not feeling good. Wishing you all good vibes and speedy recovery. But I'm glad that you here today. And speaking of the super Bowl, our first headline for this week. I mean, obviously, the Eagles completely slaughtered to see and it was just no competition. I don't know what happened to Kansas City. It's like the Monstars came and sucked all of their powers out. But I mean, the game was just all of Philly from start to finish. But one of my favorite things about the Super Bowl, outside of that halftime show shout out to Kendrick Lamar, is absolutely the commercials. Like I lived for the Super Bowl ads, and one of the best commercials by far this year had to have been the Nike twenty twenty five So Win Super Bowl campaign, and it was the first time in over two decades that there was a Super Bowl ad featuring all female athletes, and so in this campaign, it featured WNBA stars Asia Wilson, Sabrineo Nescue, Caitlin Clark, and USC women's basketball star Juju Watkins, and it was narrated by Doci. So I think that that was phenomenal. What were your thoughts about the Nike campaign. I know that this year, at least when I was looking through social media, everyone's like, oh my god, the commercials are so scale this year. But when that Nike commercial came on, it just changed the game for the conversation when it came to the Super Bowl ads this year. What did you think about the Nike So Win campaign?
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh my god, that stole the show.
Speaker 2: I've already used the slogan because you know, people love Asia Wilson, as you know, they love to talk about her good but sometimes not always the right way. So I just reminded people like the Nike ad said you can't win, so go win, right, and so amazing, Like the ad was breathtaking visually, conceptually, and the messaging and just the athletes. Of course, I know she's not a basketball player, but I think just the ending with Jordan Chiles doing the Nike.
Speaker 3: Symbol like what I mean, there were just so many things about that ad.
Speaker 2: I loved Juju with the hands over the net and hanging down. I mean, like, I watch that ad so many times that night while the game was going on, which is crazy because I am an Eagles fan, so I was very happy obviously about the outcome, but I could not stop watching it. I've continued to watch it. I sent it to so many people like they weren't also seeing.
Speaker 3: It, but it was just like, oh my god, I've seen.
Speaker 2: This office talk the next day. Just is an incredible ad and I mean you'd expect no less from Nike. And I mean, look at the lineup of athletes you name them. You had Caitlin Clark, you had Asia Wilson, you had Juju Wakin, Sabrina and Escu. They all looked amazing, fierce, and I love that there's individual like sub campaigns almost in there for each of them. So most of them like posted on social afterwards with like their part of the campaign.
Speaker 3: And it was beautiful.
Speaker 1: Oh I agree, And I feel like it personally resonated me, especially as a black woman in sport, just how sometimes people can put you in a box or just these their own limitations, set their own limitations on you, and then you flip it around by just showing that you can produce, that you can win in any situation. So I like how personable the ad was, and obviously just seeing w NBA stars or just women athletes in general on the biggest stage and having the best commercial by far, I think that it was a win win for everyone. And then on the Nike tip, also I loved the Jordan Brand commercial when Philly won. My friend Dave aka to Ching, if you ever came to a street ball tournament in New York City, the voice of New York Team to Ching, shout out to Dave. He narrated that commercial. So I love how, you know, just having those connections in touch.
Speaker 3: Point the one for Jalen Hurts. I'm sorry, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: But I'm talking about the one for Jalen Hurts. Now You're a good girl, I was saying. I also liked that commercial but from Jordan Brand as well, one because someone that I personally know was narrating the voiceover and voice of basketball in New York. I said, But also I just think that it was just keep it simple, stupid. That is my strategy for life. Just keep it simple and the rest will flow. But I absolutely love those two ads were my top faith from the Super Bowl. Going back to ads right. Another big ad that made headlines this week was the Angel Reese McDonald's commercial and it featured New York Liberty star Brianna Stewart, WNBA legend, Lisa Leslie, Lotto and more people as well. And so, what did you think about the McDonald's I love that it paid homage to, you know, those that came before her and also the future of the sport, but also how much she looks out for her people. We know that when Angel Reese was in college, Lotto feature her in that video with Cardi B. And so I love that Angel Reese is a girl's girl, and I think that this was a huge cultural moment just for women's sports, to see women in the front and center of some of the biggest ads of the week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a very dope thing to see the commercial. I love when she's like with Lisa Leslie and she's like, yeah, o gee, you know, just the respect that Angel shows to the giants that came before her. I feel like you know, And I don't want to like judge all younger people or put you know, people into a box. Right everyone ever, people are individuals. But sometimes whether it's sports or music, you don't always see that reverence sometimes for those that came before us. And she always pays reverence. And I think that's an incredible trait about her, and so I love that. I love that she had Stewie in there, her former teammate, like she just like you said, she looks out for her people.
Speaker 3: I am in awe of Angel the time.
Speaker 2: And that's why I'm sort of struggling to find my words because we've talked about her before. But like her crown is so heavy, and she has to carry and deal with so much. And I know publicly she presents as strong, and I'm sure she is strong, but as a black woman, you know, I know, and I don't have anywhere the amount of like burden that Angel Reaves has to carry. But we often have to present as strong and do all these things, and we don't have moments to be vulnerable, you.
Speaker 3: Know, and so and we're not given grace.
Speaker 2: And so when you just constantly see her often being attacked and she just comes with another one, another endorsement, a cover on a magazine. You know, it's like, she's just so fierce, and she is also one of the top basketball players in the world.
Speaker 3: And I want to make that very clear, because.
Speaker 2: There's this idea that like she's just an off the court kind of person and like she's you know, like she's not this great basketball player, and she is, you know, and you're even seeing an unrivaled each week as she's getting better and better and she's still dominating on the boards and the glass, and so I'm so proud of her. I thought the commercial was so dope. I love seeing the other players in it. I love her sharing her moment with them, and I just look forward to all that she's gonna do because I know there's gonna be so much more.
Speaker 3: She never stops.
Speaker 1: Okay, y'all, we're gonna take a quick break and when we get back more headlines with Natalie Esquire Unrivaled. They introduced their one B one tournament this week, and we've already seen round one of the competition. We know that there is a huge prize pot over three hundred thousand dollars on the line and the winner, the individual player that wins will walk home with two hundred thousand dollars and by the time this episode is published, we will potentially I mean no, we'll get the round two by the time this episode is published. So what were her thoughts on Round one? I have my own thoughts, Okay. One of my personal favorite parts about the one v one tournament was that or learning that each player chose the song that they would come out to, because I was super confused when Lexi Hall came out to a little boozy set it off. I was like, WHOA, what is going on? But then I was scrolling X and I saw djn Carrington say something. Angel Reese was like, yeah, guess who picked that song for her? So I thought that was super funny. I was personally surprised that Stewie lost twelve to zero to Leah Edwards. That was very, very shocking. I do think that this one v one tournament. I wouldn't say it exposes anyone, but it just shows, you know, just a certain skill sets. Not everyone is a one B one player. A lot of people or a lot of athletes can simply play into system and be great in that, and so I just thought it was fun. I thought that the matchups swore was kind of evenly matched. I like that Lexi Hall, she put up a good fight against Ryan Howard. What were your thoughts about the one B one tournament.
Speaker 2: You know, I think it's okay to say that some players get exposed and unrival maybe not specifically the one on one, but I mean Satu soldly said that, you know, when talking about like three on three format and the players themselves, they said that because like there's no one there to like, it's them. They have to defend, they have to do everything, and like we saw last night, like these are the top athletes in the world, and after they were done, they were breathing heavily, you know, and they're just like, you know, it's a lot of work, you know. So I love what Kullyacopper said when she was just like, I think the big girls need their own, you know, bracket, and I think that's something to consider. But it also sort of makes it fun because like the bigs versus the guards were interesting. You saw how Skylar her strategy with like the fouling. She is diabolical, by.
Speaker 1: The way, but like I a minute, she is a minute.
Speaker 2: So I think, like the first time you really saw that play out was with like Chelsea Gray and Shakierra Austin and shout out to Shakira, Like how incredible for her. Like to me, she's just one of the great stories of Unrival because I've loved just seeing her on the court and playing and being healthy. And I thought like in her post game she was saying a lot in her post game right, like she's like that's what I do, and like basically like when she's healthy, no one can beat her, and like I get it, Like it seemed like she probably felt some type of way about being where she was seated and you know, all that kind of stuff. Again, she didn't say that, but like there was a tone to her postgame commentary and I love that.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: She's gonna probably be going into the next season with that. She looks good and you just beat Chelsea Gray the point God, you know what I'm saying. But you saw that on display because her length was really an issue for Chelsea and Chelsea was trying to like get to the rim and she block it, which forced Chelsea to have to just make a bunch of tough shots, which we know Chelsea Gray can do. But on a night when they're not falling. Then that worked out in Shahera's favor. And so you when you see a matchup like that, you kind of say, oh, it's probably a bad matchup where you do wonder should guards be playing guards? Like with Ka in her case, like she said, she's a she's a big guard. She's a tall guard, so she can kind of hang with a big with like Aliyah, and so it's a different kind of outcome there. And Skyler her shot was falling, so she was able to get her shots off. Plus she had that strategy. So I could imagine some of the other guards maybe if they have to, like you know, go up against the big again, employing maybe Skylar's strategy, because you know, sometimes those matchups can be interesting with the guards in the post. But I loved it. And for Aliyah Edwards, like come on, like that's ragging rights. You beat Stewie. And I think with Stewie for that, it's probably more of a like a Alia Edwards is her teammate, right, and they're both yukon. But you you're like, Okay, she's probably not even guarding her as close as she needs to be, cause like you're not expecting Alia Edwards to rain threes, like from what we know of her, that's not her game. So it was so fast, and it was so quick, you know, like Brianna was probably a little surprised. So it was great. It's all in good fun. And I love that she congratulated her after on Twitter. She's one of the faces of unrivaled, right her and and the FESA started this, and so you need her to be a good sport about this. You know, you heard the story years ago of Lebron getting dunked on in the footage getting you know, taken away, right, like the fact that allegedly right, the fact that she's allowing this to happen, similar to Stephen Curry playing Sabrina Jonescu and three point Challenge and being okay if he loses to her, right, Like you need that, and so Stewie being okay that she lost like that, and she knows like the internet may clown her or whatever may come with it. That's all a part of growing women's basketball. Because Kenneth Parker talked about this, we have to start talking about the game like the way we talk about men's sports, and to normalize and not disrespecting the players. But you know, barbershops talk the things that happens. We can say, oh, this person got cooked. You know, I saw Chelsea Gray got cooked, and it's like, yeah, you're a Chelsea Gray fan. You may not like hearing that, but she did. She got cooked. And we need to be able to talk about them like that. We know these are all legends, these are all the top players. There's no disrespect intended. It was fun, it was great. And I love what Rival's doing for women's basketball right now.
Speaker 1: And how about all five Luna Owls making it to the second round. I mean, and they are still the only undefeated team at Unrivals right now, so that speaks for itself. I'm looking forward to seeing Courtney Williams and Ali Chagray matchup. I think that's the next match up in round two. So I guess we'll see that and we'll figure it out. But I need to know your predictions. Who do you have holding up that trophy at the end of the one v one tournament?
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, girl, that's so hard.
Speaker 2: Well, first, let me ask this question because there's some players who ended up having to pull out a unrivaled and I can't remember the full list. Is Kayla McBride one of them?
Speaker 1: She is, She's out.
Speaker 2: I had Caleb McBride is like the sneaky underdog, and I'm pretty sure I had like tweeted that or something because she's been playing such beautiful basketball and unrivaled and just interviewing her there, the way she talks about this being like, you know, pure hoops and just everything, I thought she really had like a really strong chance. Oh my gosh, you're really putting me on the spot here. I feel like, ah, shoot.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I honestly do not know.
Speaker 2: I mean, after seeing this strategy that Skyler imposed, it's hard to go against fee right with the way she's been playing in general, for Kia looked really good yesterday.
Speaker 3: Alesha, g shit, I'm sorry. Sorry.
Speaker 2: I know people are thinking like every Quay or like Jewel Lloyd. They're probably like the favored people. But fat, I'm gonna just go with the player that's been playing the best and unrivaled.
Speaker 3: Fie. I'm gonna go in a Fisa Collier.
Speaker 1: I like that. I think he can win it all too. I'm not gonna lie. I think her. My second choice would be Skyler Diggan Smith only because she's a small she's small, got but got big heart, and she plays deepense. She has strategy as we saw yesterday, like just her IQ level, she's not backing down. I think I saw her stripped Deer Cook in the first round in one position as well. I just think just her IQ and her the way she competes that sends her apart. And so either one of those two I could see definitely winning and I think that they, as Alicia ed Gray and all the players stated, conditioning is a huge, huge part of it as well. Can't get gassed. I remember seeing Jackie Young she was playing in the first round and at one point had gotten filed and then she was down, but she also used that as a point of her strategy to get a breath and get back up and compete. So it'll be interesting to see what happens in round two and beyond for unrivals one v one tournament. All right, moving on to the herder stuff and the headlines, and I'll kind of break this down for the audience that's listening. Katie Lou Samuelson and the Indiana Fever have agreed to a contract divorce, so Katie Lou Samuelson was on a deal worth over a little bit over one hundred and eighty thousand dollars with the Indiana Fever, and that deal was a protected deal, And so what happened is they mutually agreed to a buyout agreement and Katie Lou was taking a little bit over one hundred and six thousand dollars and that's her existing contract minus the veteran minimum plus five K for the right of set off rule per her hoop stats, and then if she clears waivers this week, she will become an unrestricted free agent. Now, league sources tell me that there are several teams interested in Katie Lou Samuelson. Now, for what it's worth, Katie Lou is a shooter right and there are a few teams out there who are a few pieces away, I think from building out their bench to be able to really compete. I can see Katie Lou in maybe a Seattle I can see Katie Lou, and maybe a Minnesota. I can see Katie Lou. Maybe Vegas, maybe they can sign her to come off the bench to help with some of the shooting. So it'll be really interesting to see where she lands. After this buyout with Indiana, obviously they needed to clear cap space. So now this creates more room for Indiana to sign another player. And if you think the Indiana fever, the Indiana you are already a really really good team and now we have more cap space to get it even better, to even become more solid. So I know this might be a little bit too much for you, net but you know where could you see Katie Lou being of a help to you? Oh which roster?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so first I would also say like shout out to Katie Lou because I think it's I mean, obviously it's I usually agreed upon separation and she's getting the buyout.
Speaker 3: But it's a little different than the Marina Maybery situation.
Speaker 2: But I think it's good that players are having you know, movement and exercising you know that right, pushing it, you know, to get themselves to where they want to be. You know, we just saw the NWSL get rid of a draft, which gives players there's more options to move and be where they want to be. And why shouldn't they have the right, just like us in our jobs, to work where they want to be. And so you know, the fever loaded up, and there's probably not like a really natural place for Katie Lou on that team anymore where she's probably going to get the minutes that she would desire or a rotation spot that she wants, And so good for her. You pointed out that it's the minus the veteran minimum, so now a team can offer her the vet minimum and she'll get that salary back. But that will help a team that's financially strapped. So you bring up a team like Vegas, I wonder after signing Tiffinny Mitchell though, like if they would still go after Katie Lou but sure, like who doesn't want more shooting and so like, that's definitely the kind of player, at least from a financial, you know position, I think would be a player that Vegas could target and would be realistic for them at least financially to sign because they don't really have a lot of room and so because of that buy that would help a team like them. Seattle though, is badly in need of replacing some of that production that they're losing with Jewel Lloyd. And yes they are going to have Gabby the entire season, and Neka and even Gabby they took less than what they could make to leave Seattle with some money. So if they could sign Katie Lou also on the minimum, that would still probably leave them money to still go out and do more if they because right now I don't have Seattle anymore as like a contending team. I think they need to do. I think they're a very good team, but you don't just lose Jewel Lloyd. And also, like I mean, we don't know what was going to happen, but like Jordan Horston, you know.
Speaker 1: It was just about to say. So I was have Athletes Unlimited actually saw firsthand the Jordan Horston injury at Athletes Unlimited and obviously still waiting for evaluations and the MRI to report to come out. When she went down, she was holding like her knee or her leg and it looked really really bad. I was sitting court side by the way, so I heard and saw everything. Obviously, Coach Noe and Ebie Hoffin was there, so you know, they kind of have a feel about what's going on firsthand. And so you know, my prayers are up to Jordan and I hope she's okay. We know that she's just come back from an injury not too long ago. But that's a big hole if you lose Jordan Horsten before the season starts.
Speaker 2: So you know, I don't know what Seattle plans are, right because like, on one hand, they're gonna have Yabby the full season, you also have players just taking a natural leap, so you expect Ezzie to take another leap forward. Mekka is still Neka Skyler is playing right now out of her mind. That's how she ended the season. It's continuing into unrivaled. You know, I think when she first got to Seattle, she started off a little slow. You know, she's coming back and you know, pregnancy all those things. So but she's like inform and she looks really good. So the team is also going to have another year together. Yes it will be minus Jewel, but like you're gonna have like some more continuity, so they'll be better anyway naturally, And there might be like an idea of like doing it by committee, but still Jewel Lloyd is hard to replace, and so getting you know, another bone to fide shooter on that roster, especially in light of what we don't know with Jordan Horston, just prayers up for her. So I think Seattle really needs to be a team that probably goes after her. I don't know if your sources, Miss Insider, if that's one of the teams they've said is on the list. I could definitely see Seattle obviously. I'm sure if she's doing this buyout, she wants to be like on a contending team. The Mercury needs to also follow. They have the too, yes, they have the cap Staves and but also again with her being buy out, try to get Katie Lou on a minimum and you can still go get other players I think of the teams because she's leaving Indiana, do you think the Liberty would have any interest in her?
Speaker 1: League sources have told me that the Liberty are not going to be in the running for Katie Lou.
Speaker 3: Okay, what about the Links?
Speaker 1: The Links I'm here may be interested in her?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah, So I mean I think it's one of the contenders. You know, I think it's probably those those four teams that we just said, but I think Seattle or Phoenix to me, I would probably put them ahead of like a team like the Links or Aces.
Speaker 3: But I could see her working probably on any of those four rosters to different degrees.
Speaker 1: I agree. Hey, we're gonna just pause right there for another quick break, and here's a word from our sponsors going back to me attendant AU. And then you're talking about the Jordan Horston injury and saying that they need a shooter. I mean, what Jordan Horston does defensively as well, and then her size that matters and you need a player who can account for that. And there aren't many free agents on the market who can do that. But I was watching Athletes Unlimited and you know, over the last few years it's become a breeding ground for gms and coaches to go and do some scouting. And one player I think that deserves to at least get a training camp contract or an extra look is Crystal Bradford. She played in China recently with Camilla Cardoso, came back stateside and it's doing her second season at AU and Tarika Fossil Brasby wrote an article about her movers of the Week for Athletes Unlimited and Crystal Bradford was one of those players who played phenomenally this past weekend on both ends of the floor. I know that in the past, just based off conversation that I've had with several people around the league. I know that there was questions about her character. We know what happened in Atlanta with the tenders and bites truck Courtney Williams. But I think that people deserve second chances. We've seen what a second chance got Courtney where it got her. You know, all star level player went to the finals this year. I think that Crystal Bradford has matured in so many ways. Just me seeing her in person this year, because the last time I saw her was last year in Dallas, so being able to see her. She's in shape. She's in tip top shape, like tiptop shape, lost some weight, got some muscle. Just her mindset is different, the way she leads on the court. I was hearing her, the way she was talking and communicating with her teammates, just seeing her hustle. I think that she could be someone that GM should or is worth looking at in terms of a training camp contract maybe or signing for a minimum. I could see her helping a team like the Aces, helping a team maybe like Seattle, be better coming off the bench. She can score, she can defend, and that's a player that if people are not looking at. I think that they should look at as a possible help to Seattle now that they may not have Jordan Horston. All right, and rounding out our topics of the week, the Las Vegas Aces have made some additions and subtractions. So Sidney Colson has signed a one year deal with the Indiana Fever, Alicia Clark is returning to the Seattle Storm, and of course we know about the blockbuster trade that sent Kelsey Plumb to the Los Angeles Sparks for Jewel Lloyd. And then on the addition side, they added Diane Parker, Tyas, Tiffany Mitchell, Dana Evans, They've re signed Queen Eggbow, and then they have Elizabeth Kitley who was drafted in twenty twenty four and was sidelined due to injury the possible return in the twenty twenty five seasons. So, Natalie, what do you like about the subtractions and the additions to this Las Vegas Aces squad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, as far as like the subtractions, I think that while sid Coulson is a huge locker room loss, and she is a basketball loss too, I always thought Sid's production and what she does for the Aces was replaceable, so that from just a basketball like on the court standpoint didn't feel that huge to me.
Speaker 3: But culturally, like from a team culture and locker room, you know, she was so much intertwined with the identity of that team and who the Aces are.
Speaker 2: So I thought in that aspect, you know, it was a big loss, and it's gonna.
Speaker 3: Be interesting to me to see her on the fever and how she fits.
Speaker 2: In there because, like what we know, such her big personality, So she's gonna definitely bring a different kind of like personality to that team. So it's gonna be interesting to watch that in Indiana. I didn't expect that. That wasn't on my bingo card.
Speaker 1: Oh so, one thing I want to say about Sid, I mean, I know you said that what she does is replaceable, but the Aces don't win that championship against the New York Liberty without Sid being a plus seventeen. I mean, I agree with you. I think that she coachally brought so much to that locker room. I'm excited to see her in Indiana. I think that Indiana one was able to make all of the signings that they did because one, they made a front office change. First, right, you add an Amber Cox front of the show. By the way, she has a lot of great relationships with players, and that's the most important thing when you were recruiting. I think that from the inside out, the Fever had to change the front office because there were murmurs right that players were not happy with what was happening in the front office with the Indiana Fever. And in the off season, top to bottom, they made changes from the coaching to the general manager to the president of the Fever, and they brought in people one that you know, know what it takes to win, but just women who gets the job done. And so I think that that was one of the reasons why Sid also left. But also money. They're paying her a little bit more than what the Aces was giving her at the VET minimum. She's getting about ninety thousand dollars with the Indiana Fevers. So I mean that makes a difference. Right. For so long players have been encouraged just take less, just take let's do what's best for the team. But you see in this free agency the players are not really trying to do that right now.
Speaker 2: It does I mean, I don't know Sid, I don't I'm not an insider like Christina.
Speaker 3: I don't know anything, I think it's the money.
Speaker 2: Like I think if Vegas could match that, I think Sid would still be in Vegas. So it's not like Vegas doesn't have a great culture as we know it.
Speaker 3: They you know.
Speaker 2: I feel like in this move of like facilities and all this stuff, people are forgetting that Vegas was one of the trendsetters in this and like started that, and so they've had that culture, they've had the facilities. You know, she already had it in Vegas, you know. So but get your bag, you know. And so while I don't think I agree with you that, I don't think the Aces win without what she did. That can always be said of any player on any team who's like a good role player and does their part. And so like again I'm not trying to disrespect Sid, but like I thought that was replaceable.
Speaker 3: And the reason I bring that up is not about Sid. Sid's amazing.
Speaker 2: It's about there's this narrative that's trying to, in my opinion, be formed about the Aces and like, oh, they've gotten worse and like they're in this dire situation because they lost like all these like big pieces and you're not I'm sorry, you're not selling me on Sid being a big, big basketball piece for the Aces. You know, with all respect to Sid, you're just not. But I don't want to because in the same vein like with the Liberty right, you lose a KT, right, and the impact of a player on the locker room is real, And so I don't want to discount what Sid brings to the Aces organization. But everything in Vagus will always start and end with Asia Wilson, and as long as you have her at the top, you build around that and they're going to always be in good shape. And that's true of any great player. If you want to equate it to the NBA, right, that's going to be true Lebron, That's going to be true of Stephen Curry. That was true with Michael Jordan, right, And so it's not like a disrespect to the to the rest of it and the other co stars, but it always starts and ends with who the franchise star is not in.
Speaker 1: Dallas, though not with Luca I'm joking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Candice Parker, like I can bring it back to the w NBA, right, and and and all the great but in terms of the rest of like what's happening with with Vegas, and so Alicia Clark is tremendous, you know, and I like, obviously she has roots in Seattle and they also were giving her a bump up and pay. Last year was a little bit of a down season for Alicia and I and I think what's really important for people, because I feel strongly about this to think about with Vegas and a lot of this insight, some of it I get from Callie Finn, who covers the Las Vegas aces right and she's there up close and personal watching them. But like I think people just are like, oh, Vegas loss, and like they didn't have a bench, and like that's why. And I feel like that sells short, like what happened in Vegas last season. So Cally just put out like a really great story yesterday that people should go read. But in general just about their season. Like as we covered the season last year, you have to remember you had Chelsea Gray who was returning from injury and did not start the season. She missed a number of games, right Jackie Young got injured. Post Olympics, you had the Olympics and they had several players not just their core four, but you also had Tip who was an Olympia, like several of their players' Olympians, right, and when Chelsea Gray is like missing for that chunk of the season. Now players are playing out of position because you're asking Jackie Young to all handle more and dude more than she normally does. You're asking Kelsey Plump to pick up more. Kelsey was also just dealing with a lot of personal stuff in her life.
Speaker 3: Right. You had a lot that was happening. A team that had already won two championships, so they already play further into the season, right, So there's a lot of wear and tear on those players, and so I think there was a lot of things. It was like a culmination of things that affected the Aces. The Liberty were just a better team all season. Please Christina, make sure Liberty fans hear me saying that the Liberty were just a better team. So were the Minnesota Links, and that's why they were at the top. But I think that there's a lot of stock being put into last season, and I feel like last season was an anomaly for the Aces. I don't think that's like what their situation is.
Speaker 2: So I really like their additions because if you're paying attention to what happened last year, Like the depth did impact them that other teams had, but a lot of that was like also because the people that they did have coming off their bench were older, right, and so they were slower, right, so they got younger. They added Tiffany Mitchell, which you know, so you get a game Cox reunion. I love the Parker Tias signing. It gives Asia that much needed help in the front core. And to me, that was one of the glaring, biggest, most egregious, uh, just one of the glaring things last year that was like really problematic with the Aces, and now she's getting a former All Star. I'm sure Parketiss, who also had a somewhat down here last year, probably looking to remind people what she can do.
Speaker 3: And so I really like that signing. Of course, they added Jeweloyd.
Speaker 2: I think there are a lot of people playing with Jeweloyd's name as well in terms of like what she can do. So I feel like, listen, I've watched it, like the Aces remind me a lot of the Warriors, and I've watched it as a Warriors fan, Like when you do the team they lose, they come back the vengeance that they have, So this idea that they got worse. I don't think they got worse. I actually think they got better at Kelsey's spot. Kelsey's great again, no disrespect to her, like, but Jewels a bigger guard, She's a better defender. I think they got better at that spot. And so I like they short up there starting five. They added Dana Evans as well, so now they have some shooting coming off the bench, They have some scoring coming off the bench, and they have a lot of bigs. So you know you mentioned Queen Eggbow. You still have you know, Megan on the team. You still have you mentioned kit Lee. That's a huge piece for the Aces. And Becky Hammond is on record saying that she expects, you know, kit Lee to be playing like her best basketball come like July. So I think we're gonna see her before July. But as Callie broke it down to me, that likely means that it's going to be like a ramp up for her, right, So they're gonna still need that help in the front court until she's like ready to really contribute. And Christina, they still have a draft pick, which you can view that as an asset. They lost it because of an investigation they got a draft pick right, so now that's an asset they have or another piece that they can have add in a very deep draft. I think the Aces are in very good composition. I think they are still a contending team. I would not put them right now ahead of the Links or the Liberty. Those would still be the top two teams to me, but I would still put them ahead of the Fever. I think they're they're probably the third best team coming in if I were doing power rankings today. I love their moves. They got younger, they got Asia at the front court help she needs. They're going to be reinvigorated. Despite Chelsea Gray's loss last night in Unrivaled, she looked great's she's looking like the point god again and they're going to have her fresh to start the season.
Speaker 3: I think that it would be a mistake to sleep on the Las Vegas Aces.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and let's not forget Asha Wilson is still the rating MVP, which is on a different gear when people underestimate her. So of course she's gonna come back and the Aces come back. I think it's interesting that you compared them to the Warriors when they had that down here and came back and won the championship. I do think that we have to monitor Jackie Young's health. I mean, unrivaled. It's been really hard to see her try to get back into the game slowly she is suffering from an injury. If I were her, I'm not a doctor, I don't know what's exactly what's going on, but I always shut it down and rest and recover to get ready for the season. We saw what happened in that one v one tournament when she would hit the floor. I wouldn't want to take any chances if I'm Jackie Young or the last Vegas aces and so I think that their success obviously will get hurt. If Jackie Young is not ready or healthy for the season, that does slim in their chances because she just contributes so much to the squad. Very interesting you brought up how she was playing the point guard for the twenty twenty four season. We saw her do that at Notre Dame and she was their successful number one pick. So I think it's great when you can have her play in different positions as well. It lends to the versatility of the roster. I'm excited as you mentioned Tiffany Mitchell and Asia Wilson teaming up again. I know Game Clops fans everywhere are excited. I'm also excited to see the development of Dana Evans. I think that the coaching staff that he did a great job at going out and getting Tie and John Lucas to add to the staff. With the exits of Todd Marsh's now the head coach of the Chicago Sky and Natalie Nicasse who's the head coach of the Golden State Valkyries, it's always going to be about developing these young stars. You mentioned how young they are. It's going to be about that development and them getting better, and that's going to strengthen in the Las Vegas Aces.
Speaker 2: Damon Evans, that seemed like it was a down year for her in Chicago last year, and there there was just a lot of changes. Obviously, you bring in two lottery picks and and Angel Reese and Kamila Cardozo and the team is really now going to be about them. So it sort of changed, you know, maybe her trajectory a little bit, but it seemed like just everybody kind of knowing their roles last year in Chicago, it just didn't maybe work out the way that it needs to so she gets this fresh start. She seems very excited about it. She changed that name on her on her Instagram, but quickly the updates to let let let everyone know she's with the Las Vegas Aces.
Speaker 3: How do you think Dana will do there?
Speaker 2: You said that you liked the move for her, but based on seeing what happened last year, I mean, I guess what do you think happened and what do you what are your expectations for her next season?
Speaker 1: What happened last year? Laman in that locker room, so I don't necessarily know. I remember her representative had posted or published a post on x saying that they had requested a trade at the trade deadline, and we know she did not get traded from the Chicago Sky Marina Maybrey left, so it seemed like there were just maybe some locker room issues in Chicago. Diamond de Shields is now with the Connecticut Sun. We've seen Marina Connecticut with Connecticut as well, different players taking exits out of Chicago. But now it seems like when you have a new coach, they want to fill out their rosters to the best of their ability, and so maybe she just didn't fit into what Tdy Marsh is having planned for the Chicago Sky They've signed a player like he and Nurse, which is more veteran than Dana Evans. I think it's great that she's now at the Las Vegas Aces. She gets to learn from the point God and Chelsea Gray. But like I said, I'm super excited to see what her ceiling is under Becky Hammond. When I think about Dana Evans, I think about how Jackie Young was developed by Ti Marsh, and I can see something similar in terms of her trajectory being the same, where she becomes more of a sharpshooter, more efficient at that, and also just how her IQ increases as a basketball player. I think that she can provide a spark off the bench, but it's gonna take some time. And so, like I said, I'm most excited to see how this coaching staff will help her improve her game. But she has some great vets, a great core to learn from. These are players who have won at every level. So I'm excited to see, you know, just a re emergence of Dana Evans. I know that also at the end of the season, Dana and Izzy Harrison had talked about the mental aspect playing a role into their time in Chicago. So just seeing her get back to the main thing and just seeing her fall in love with basketball again. I think that that's what makes me excited about Dana Evans in Las Vegas. And so yeah, I'm just excited for this young core and just to see every pans out. I mean on paper, as you said, everyone questioned for the last couple of years, Vegas's bench and their Black of Death, and you add these pieces not necessarily huge names, right, but like these mid tier players who can make something happen. And I'm also excited for Cheyenne Parker Tias because people forget that she was an All Star in twenty twenty three and she may have had a down year last year, but I think that she might have a breakout year as well. With more responsibility in helping Asia Wilson in that front court, I think that people will change their narratives and how they think or see some of these players, you know what I mean. So that's what I'm excited about the most about the Las Vegas Agies. We didn't talk about them losing Tiffany Hayes, but you know, I think that also is plays a huge part as well, and losing a player like Tiffany Hayes who won six Player of the Year. It's kind of crazy when you think about who has won six Player of the Year over last several years. Maybe a member of the Aces will win it again. If you go to the Aces, you're bound to be a six Player of the Year day.
Speaker 3: She got paid day.
Speaker 1: So I think that with the subtractions, right, it came down to, like, who's paying any more? Who's getting me the bag? Because all four players who left right with the exception of Kelsey Plumb, they're going to teams with the facilities, with the resources, but all of the things right, so it comes down to how can this benefit me? I think no, not to the Aces at all, but I think that they probably have made the decision like, Okay, they're paying me more here. But also I think that the Valkyries got better because they needed a star and Tiffany Hayes is a starter. She's worthy of that, and so I'm excited to see one on her and Kate Money Kate Martin reunite on the Valkyries. But also I think that Minnesota kind of set the tone when it came to just getting a bunch of underdogs and putting them on a roster. And you don't need big. You need to go super big when it comes to formulating a w team that can compete. Right. I don't think the Valkyries are gonna win a championship, but I think that now they can at least have some dog in the fight. What do you think.
Speaker 2: I don't think the Valkyries are going to be very good, but we'll see. I mean, I like, but I expected that in the first year, so I was just to like to put a bow on. Like the Aces, the last thing I'll say about them is that just one other thing I want to like. And again this is all my opinion, but I want to shift this narrative a little bit. There's this idea that like all their players loft like left them. I think the Aces were okay losing those players, Like I think the Aces maybe didn't want to keep some of those players. In the nicest way, Becky let us know that when she said this team is going to look different, right, So it's not all like, oh, these players are all just leaving the Aces and they're ch like, No, the Aces are okay parting ways because they understand they need to make changes to their roster and are also still thankful and grateful for those players and their contributions and what they did.
Speaker 3: It's not like they're.
Speaker 2: Just leaving because the Aces are like this bad place to be and no one wants to play with Asia Wilson. So these narratives that get fun, I just I want to kind of put them in check. But you know, to the Valkyries, there were a lot of people who thought, like Kelsey Plumb could like end up on you know, the Valkyries, and I never understood that.
Speaker 1: Like I think it was because of her relationship with Natalie. I think that's why. But according to my sources, Los Angeles was the choice for Kelsey's you know, where she wants to go. But yeah, no, great conversation, and that's going to wrap it up for this week's headlines in women's basketball and women's sports. Thank you so much Natalie for joining.
Speaker 3: Us this week. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Hang tight, y'all. We'll be right back with one of my favorite segments, the Things that I loved this week. Welcome back to in case you missed it with Christina Williams and shout out to my girl Natalie again for joining us this week to break down the latest headlines. But as you guys know, it's my favorite part of the show. And here is the thing that I loved this week. Okay, so the thing that I loved this week was obviously I talked about at the top of the show, but just being in Nashville. But the thing that I loved about being in Nashville was the reunion between me and my girls. Shout out to Tarika fossor Brasby, Brady Diaz and Ross golds On Wooded. All three have been on the show, but they are by homegirls in real life. Just being able to take a pause from our busy, busy schedules. I mean, obviously we were in Nashville working, but we had some time to go out and enjoy the town and just celebrate all of our wins together. And so I had a lot of fun being in Nashville. The weather was beautiful, the culture and vibes were great. I think we were on Broadway or broad Street. Don't correct me if I'm wrong, but AnyWho, just seeing all of the vibrancy of Nashville. We saw a bride with all of her sequence and everybody had their cowboy hats on and it was a lot going on, but it was good vibes. So that was the one thing that I loved this week. And I'm also looking forward to head into the Bay this weekend for NBA All Stars. So if you guys see your girl out there, make sure you stop and say hello. We're gonna be recording some live show, so definitely stop by to check us out, and that's gonna do it for this week's episode. Make sure you rate, review, and subscribe to the podcast, and I'll see you guys in the day in case you missed it. With Christina Williams is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.