Speaker 1: Bloomberg, audio studios, podcasts, radio news. Now, insurers are bracing for a new era of catastrophe risk in Europe as rising temperatures and other extreme weather increase the likelihood of fires, flooding, and other disasters. The continent's big insurers have reported strong earnings this season, but weren't if the bigger risks ahead. Let's take a listen to what executives at Access, Swissery and Zoric Insurance of TOL Bloomberg in recent days.
Speaker 2: We have to live with the fact that these files are happening more and more.
Speaker 1: This is part of timate change, This is part of our daily reality.
Speaker 3: Now we need to understand the risk. We need to say, Okay, what's happening here? How can we mitigate the risk. And that's an area where we work a lot now within different parties, with municipalities, with utility companies.
Speaker 2: I would not say that it's an insurable. I would say that the cost of this insurance might be higher over time, time and courage levels that might not be interesting convenience for the customers.
Speaker 1: So I was Tomo a birl of Axa, Andrews Mamstrom of Swiss Rae and Mario Greco of Zurich Insurance, all speaking to Bloomberg after their recent results. Let's discuss the picture now facing the industry though with taf toy Jensen, who is Director General of Insurance Europe, which represents the sector at an EU level. Tail, Good morning, welcome to our Brussels studio. The picture going into this for insurers is complicated. I wonder how are the conversations happening within your organization about the concern for these risks going forward? How worried are your members?
Speaker 4: So I think fundamentally I agree with a lot of the things that the CEOs already indicated here that these risks are increasing. Climate change means that we have more severe, more more frequent extreme weather events, especially wildfires, as we're seeing them at the moment. So that means that we need to we need to look at what do we doing about those those situations. Ultimately, if you look across Europe where we are now, you have a record record number of burnt areas across which means that we are seeing that we are seeing that these are taking up a lot more attention. We do also see that that these it's one of them touched on it about it being ensurable or not. It's a matter of looking at this from a from a perspective of also what are we doing to prevent and make sure that we mitigate and adapt to address these things, because climate change means that we will have to deal with this increasingly, and that means that in order to make maintain a capacity for the insurance industry to address that or to offer our insurances at the fucial level, which we are doing now, there are some initiatives that need to happen. It's a joint responsibility for municipalities, for governments, but also for insurers to guide our clients. But we see there's a lot of things that can be done on the preventive side. But I think it's very important for me to say that the current level of wildfires is manageable for the sector. It is something that is it is you have a foldable insurance available across Europe for these things. They're usually integrated in standard insurance policies and they are there is capacity to cover a lot of these things. Okay, I think an important thing is also you need to look at two things. You need to look at the economic loss which is going to be significant the societal loss which is going to be significant, but a lot of these losses, a lot of these areas that we're seeing attacked by wildfires are uninsured. So that means that if you look at the insured losses, you need to look at what and where is impacted by these wildfires. So that's where some of these numbers will not necessarily add up one to one.
Speaker 5: And so that then I come to the question around under insurance. I mean, as the industry will kind of analyze this year of you know, as you say, maybe manageable weldfares from some perspectives, but it's still historically very unusual. Is going to perhaps be a major year for wilfares. How much and how big is the problem of under insurance, But.
Speaker 4: That's difficult to tell because when we don't have the numbers yet, we don't have the ability to assess what the losses are going to be in the insured losses in particular, so that's going to be really difficult to assess. I think the important thing is to make sure that there's awareness around the insurance is available and that they can be covered. But we will have to see what that looks like as we get further down the line, and it just undermines for me the importance of having a long term thinking on that, and we need to learn. I don't know if you guys saw, but there are the wildfire communication coming up from your commission this spring. It already took a lot of learnings from the last couple of years. I would not be surprised if we take learnings from this year as well in that one.
Speaker 1: Is this a major reset moment then for the industry where that reassessment, that rethinking is going to have to be bigger than it was in previous years.
Speaker 4: That's not the indication I'm seeing now, because the insurance industry has actually ample capacity to absorb also to offer up even further. There's much more supply than than there is demand. So for me, it's more a question if we need to fix the demand side issues. We need to make sure that we look at the fact that we have more houses that are built in flood and fire zones. We have a lot more people who are taking up residence in wildfire urban interfacing areas.
Speaker 1: That's changing is that those areas are shifting as well. Areas that were once not at risk of wildfires or flooding now to climate change are finding themselves in that situation. Is that going to mean that there's going to have to be a reassessment by ensures of how to ensure these properties.
Speaker 4: I think risk, of course, means that you look at what can you offer up as a product and what is the price for that product. From what we are seeing, there's nothing that will indicate that we're not going to be able to ensure even these areas in the sense, it's just a matter of making sure that if we don't address the prevention and if we don't address the adaptation around it, the affordability of course is going to come under pressure. And that means that there's a very big joint responsibility for municipalities. We need to make sure that the forests that we have a well planned, well thought through. We need to make sure that the way we manage them that we have fire lanes, so we have fire breaks that we need to address that these new risks, yes, they manifest in a little bit in a different way, but there's a lot of things that traditionally have been looked at and I think we need to increase the work around that. So insurans have a lot of information where they we already see that they're guiding that clines specifically, but also governments and municipalities. So we're really looking forward to seeing that you're being commissioned coming out with something on this later this year. Also on resilience, and we're really looking forward to see what they're going to instruct member states to do to increase their preparedness and resilience, improve their early warning systems, integrate systematically climate change data in the way that they plan urban areas, the way they plan infrastructure. Those things are long term. What is going to make it possible to keep people in short because it will be possible at an affordable level to obtain an insurance and it's something that we also are very dedicated to do. We've worked on this for a long time and we will continue to work on it for a long time. It's at the end of the day, risk is our DNA.
Speaker 5: Yeah. The issue with premiums though, do you think that premiums are going to see another phase of significant increases because of inflation. There had been a moment where you saw premiums across Europe really sort of rise fairly sharply. That has seemed to abate it more recently. Do you think as a result of the wildfares and this year that you're going to see a lot more pressure on premiums.
Speaker 4: I think premiums ultimately will reflect the risks, So I think we'll will have to go and see what that risk, how that risk is manifested. But indeed, in increasing risk will impact or put pressure on pricing, which is also why I'm so keen on this prevention effort, because that is one of the most fundamental things we can do to keep the prices down, because ultimately risk and premium need to go hand in hand.
Speaker 1: What about the question of catastrophe bonds, something that's being used in the US, for example, where we have seen dramatically increased risks of wildfires in places like California. Should we expect to see increased use of these instruments in Europe?
Speaker 4: Catastroph your bonds is a really interesting instrument, and I think it's a very helpful instrument on a wider scale if you look at Europe as such, I don't see a lot of uptake on that, and I think one of the fundamental things is also because catastrophe bonds are used to increase capacity where there's a squeeze on that we have ample capacity. There's a lot of capacity it can still be rolled out that's not tapped. So for that capacity to be created by a catbonn and not by the capacity we already have, I would be very doubtful. I think the important thing is to make sure that the capacity that's available is getting utilized.
Speaker 1: Given the trajectory though of what we're seeing in terms of the increase of both wildfires and flooding and superstorms and winters as well, and maybe on a trajectory where that looks likely.
Speaker 4: Not from where I'm sitting right now. No, everything we hear from from the industry is that there's significant capacity to absorb. We also don't see well, there's been a conversation around a European mechanism to act as a public mechanism, to act as as a backstop, so to speak. We also don't see an important need because again it presumes that there's a capacity issue and there's not. It's rather a matter of making sure that the demand side issues are addressed.
Speaker 1: Okay, Tanya, thanks so much for joining us in studio this morning. That's Teyutaf toy Jensen, his Director General of Insurance Europe