Speaker 1: Welcome in Commander's Family to the Command Center. Joint Practice, Commanders and Patriots preseason Preview edition.
Speaker 2: I have two monsters with me right here.
Speaker 1: We have the voice of the Washington Commanders, the voice of the Burgundy and go what are the best to do it?
Speaker 2: In that booth Brahm Winstin.
Speaker 1: Then, of course we got future Hall of Famer Washington legend Brian Mitchell.
Speaker 2: Fell us, How y'all feeling good man?
Speaker 3: How you doing?
Speaker 4: The title of the show is very long, very long.
Speaker 2: I got a lot.
Speaker 1: I wanted to say something, thought it was a whole paragraph. Good luck searching, got a lot for our producer. We gotta make sure we get everything for the se O.
Speaker 2: You know what to say. People click and hear y'all.
Speaker 4: I think you got that coverage, and we gotta make sure people hear.
Speaker 1: You because we have some important things to talk about. We're doing Come Mad Lives. Yes, you don't know what that is. We will explain that later on. We are playing this or that, But more importantly.
Speaker 3: This is.
Speaker 4: Using show ever created.
Speaker 2: About the Joint Practice and brand.
Speaker 1: That is perfect because that's how we are starting to talk about this joint practice and what you guys got from that Fella's first things first, our first joint practice here with this new look squad, how y'all film.
Speaker 5: So I was looking forward to this, you know, because I think, like these moments during the preseason, things are different, you know now where there's a lot less contact in practice that's been negotiated out in the collective bargaining agreement. There's a lot less days of practice. There's no longer these kind of two days. The contact is just lower. So I think you get a really good judge when you go out there and you do this, and it really it's one of the first times that you get to see full speed. Now, even in the joint practice today it was agreed upon no full tackling, so it still wasn't you know, football football for real, But it was the closest thing that we had to it in a controlled environment. And I think that these dates are becoming more and more and more important. I remember a year ago and we went up to do the Jets one and it poured and it just made the day kind of like a wash because the weather was so awful. It was perfect here today in Foxborough, and I think I learned a lot more about this team today than I had in the first couple of weeks camp.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I look forward too, because I want to see the players now go against other people. After about the third day of training camp, you know what the guy across he is doing from you is doing. Offensive players know what the defensive player is doing, and vice versa. Now you're going against guys where yeah, you probably looked at some film, but you haven't seen their tendencies all day. So you know, you have to go and focus on your fundamentals to try to figure things out and then learn them, you know.
Speaker 3: And then again when you get.
Speaker 6: Two different teams going against each other after seeing their teammates throughout the you know, the competition goes up a little bit, intensity goes up a little bit, and you want to see who reacts to this in a certain way. And I was impressed by the team, you know, I think a lot of guys went out there and basically showed that they mean business. Also, and I guess this listen as impressed as we were last year with Jaden Daiels. Dude impresses me every time he steps from the field. And he did the same thing.
Speaker 1: And of course it's not easy to impress us a rookie. But he did that, and we had a strong rookie class here today getting their force joint practice. B. When you think back to your days when you were rookie and having to do these type of things and having.
Speaker 3: To little fogging back then, how it wasn't too long ago.
Speaker 1: But when you think about having to get that first time playing against another team, getting to touch another team, how valuable was that for you to develop?
Speaker 6: It was very valuable because you know I said that with Mony Coleman telling me about how you can't give off certain tendencies and then we will always go against the Steelers. They had Greg Laud and Green and all those guys linebackers. So now I'm going one on one against them. And I think after like the third time I went Greg Lawy, I said, look, dull, you show me where you're going, and just having veteran players from the other team helping me out, and it made me realize you have to pick your intensity up, you have to make sure you did things to fool them.
Speaker 3: So I learned quickly.
Speaker 6: At a young age against those guys with my own teammates, that you can't give off tendencies so yes, we watch film on the other team. You got to watch film on yourself, so you figure out what you're giving people a lot of time. Hell, we helped the other team out, you know, we come out there. I met told someone earlier, I used to always look at where I was going right before the balls. Nat and Ernest Miner caught onto that and I had to stop doing that. So I got into the move and looking around, looking away from where I was going, looking up. Sometimes I look at it so to make you not understand that I was giving off of a little signal which.
Speaker 1: I did early on and brand being somebody that's been around for a long time and seeing what this team's been able to do. And then you come here today and see this coaching staff on that field getting loud. Guys are out there early. Man, that's got to bring some pride to you as somebody that's been a diehard fan.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Like the it was extremely competitive and really chippy.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm not surprised.
Speaker 5: I'm not surprised with a Quinn team, you know, who's going to be ferocious, and a Rabel team similarly, their coach got into a fight today. Like that happened today, but that was shocking. He jumped into a pile to try to break people up. Both coaches talked about this beforehand, that there was not the goal to have something like that happen, But I think you're seeing the aggression came out today. I think both teams have been waiting for something like this to happen, and they both are actually on the same page both coaches. I listened to Mike Rabel two before the practice where they both said the exact same thing about what this week is now, which is I think they see it similarly. It's a total evaluation over a three day period that includes a practice that is going to be a lot more important for the starters or the projected starters, and a game that is to help them figure out. I think probably a little more for first year staff like the Patriots to look at this roster as a whole. I think what's different about our situation in year two is I don't think like they.
Speaker 4: Got to do the evaluation with everybody.
Speaker 5: But I don't feel like coming into this year, there's a lot of spots for young guys to win, so it's going to be a very different experience. I think this week for both of these teams. I think dan quinnin company were in a very similar position than Mike Rabel was a year year ago when they were looking at this roster really with fresh eyes and trying to figure out who are our people that are the commanders. I feel like in a year we have made strides with our roster that I think we know who those people are. And this is about finding out who the guys that you can work with for the future future, not the immediate future, but the future future is going to be Friday Night.
Speaker 2: And I think that's what makes preseasons so valuable.
Speaker 1: Right Like, we know we're not going to see a lot of our starters out there, and we shouldn't, but the depth on this team, the amount of guys that we have, we have guys fighting for a job that could be starters on other teams. That's got to be a good problem to have being it's a good.
Speaker 6: Problem to have for us and also those guys that are in those positions. As Brahm stated, you know, there's not a lot of spots on this team, but they have thirty one other teams out there, and when you get that chance to go out there and you have to get a chance to play on film, and you're putting something on film, you want to put good, good play out there because other teams are going to be looking for this team because they understand the type of staff that dan Quinn has put together. They understand the type of coach he is. So guys that might have been through this training camp ready to play some football. So if they don't make it here, they can make it somewhere else. Yes, you know, I think guys going to training camp all the time they get they focused on just like tunnel vision on just the team you're dealing with.
Speaker 3: The other teams are looking too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think there's going to be at the end of the summer five to eight players that could make other rosters that just there wasn't room for them. Yea here, And that's really a difference from year one to year two at this roster.
Speaker 1: What a huge difference it is and brand when you look at our defense on that field today made some big plays.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: We heard Mikey Sanderso get an amazing interception and just look good him being a mask guy being home. We look at those year two guys, you got to see him at training camp. Our job is to speculate, but getting to see them play against another squad, what did you see, especially from the year two guys.
Speaker 5: So like for Sarer still, he had a great interception and it was in a winning time moment, So I know they're going to be talking about that in the meetings. Like one of the biggest things from a year ago was they preached this ball as life. They did this in Dallas where Quinn and Witt had turnover machine defenses. They had one year where Deron Bland broke a record for pick sixes. They had another year where Trayvon Diggs had I think the most interceptions in a single season or was close in Cowboy's history. They're a sack machine, turnover machine. They want to be this and I've seen this in camp so far. We have a very different defense this year. I think it's like they're not even really hiding it. If you go to practice every day, it's a very different defense. I don't know what they're going to show in these preseason games, but standing out there and watching them, you're seeing some of these people you're talking about becoming like stars and are going to be put in positions to make plays. This corner group in general, I've described this first and second year. Marshaun Latimore is basically a second year player on this team. Here's Mike Samers still moving to a natural position where they've wanted them from the get go. Trey Amos is a day one walk in the door starter. That group, along with the backups, I think gives them the promise of what they're looking for. And if they get development out of some of these other second year players like Johnny Newton, you know, others like that, I think you're gonna start seeing the fruits of this. I like I see the path to their defense being considerably better than they were, maybe not ranking wise, but in game changing plays than they were a year ago.
Speaker 6: I think what they've done now they have the ingredients to do what they want to do. You know, they were trying to do some things with guys that weren't capable of doing what they wanted. Now this year, I think they have all They have a lot of those pieces, not completely there, but they have more pieces to where you know what, you can go out there and now you think it and you have players that know how to do it.
Speaker 3: They didn't have that last year.
Speaker 6: You know, there's some guys out there in the secondary that you think twice about what they had to do this year. I think there's a second expent. I agree with you, it's drastically different this time.
Speaker 5: They're gonna trust the corners there, and you know, because of that, I think it gives them the liberty to do what they want to do up front. So I like when Joe Witt says, you're gonna see we're gonna get the production from sacks and I don't know if it's gonna be one guy or eight guys, you're gonna see it happen. It's because they're going to be creative upfront and extremely aggressive at the same time. It's going to press these corners a little bit. You don't get home. There's gonna give up some plays. But what the biggest difference to me is the competitive nature of that group on the outside and the hands that they have. If you've seen the interception Salmar still had today, the ones that he's had in camp, Amos is around the ball constantly. Lattimore is looking more like himself day to day to day. Is their primary backups would be starters on most teams in Ignanogny, who's had an incredible camp up to this, Ty Jonathan Jones who obviously the Patriots Chandli it's been a starter for almost ten years. That might be their deepest group and I think it gives them the confidence to do what they want to do.
Speaker 1: And that group is very de Jonson Jones again a Patriot that won a Super Bowl. No, Ignogny held that Nickel spot down and we're a top three against the past, so we have death out the wazu. But another thing we got to see was a new guy come in, Dietrich Wise, another former Patriot of the.
Speaker 2: Super Bowl guy, and we were all there very early. He knew for us.
Speaker 1: He was there before the Pads got on that field, and we understand he is facing his former team. He was here for what almost a decade. B. What's going through a guy like wise his mind when you're at a place like this that you've been your whole career, but now you're somewhere else, but you still got things to prove well.
Speaker 6: As always, you want to prove to them that they made a mistake, and you want to prove to the team that got you that you know what you made The right decision and the thing he's done that all camp, though he's been out there early the whole time.
Speaker 3: That's just what he is. But he's a big enough.
Speaker 6: Guy and he has enough experience to where, you know, guys get to a point where they know they still have something and the team gets to a point where you know what we want more. Well, the more I'm going to show you is that you should have just gave me a little more chance. I'm going to a team that believes me, and I'm gonna show them when I'm capable of. Roldan had a great time and I think this time he's going to help them out because you know, like Wit said earlier, it's not about one guy getting to the quarterback. It's about they gonna do it as a team, and he's gonna be a part of that.
Speaker 1: And fellas, before we move forward to the commad Lives, I do want to go back I love that. I'm just gonna keep saying that the com Mad Lives. I want to go back to that intensity because again, we saw some scuffles, we saw the guys get busy right and be as a player. When does that intensity from joint practices? Is that going to carry over into this preseason game when guys are getting chippy like that or is it just business as usual?
Speaker 6: Well, you know what, it matter not carry on to the preseason game because now you're under the NFL camera and you get fined. You know, so what it is. You know some things went down to day. Guys got into it there. It really stopped rather quickly. Normally you will see those things and they don't. They don't stop. You know, they keep being chippy with each other. You can see those coaches have like a command of it. Now when you get in front of the cameras, you can't do that because five ten, fifteen, twenty five thousand dollars. Some of these guys don't dam They damn sure don't want to give that up. And I think it also shows coaches, how can the guy keep us cool? If somebody you thought I got a cheap shot on you in practice, when you're getting that game, you can't say I'm gonna get him back. You know, you don't want to do it at the wrong time, most in the opportunity time, because if you can't control yourself here, I don't think you control yourself in the regular season.
Speaker 4: I think Brian makes a really good point.
Speaker 5: And we see a lot of the in the past they just get out of hand, you know, like and not that didn't happen today. Like there were scraps and there were a couple piles, but like nothing got really.
Speaker 4: In hand watch times.
Speaker 5: And I'm not surprised because I mean, like, these guys have been waiting to go get somebody else, so I'm not surprised that it happened.
Speaker 4: But I think it shows the control that both of these coaches have over their team.
Speaker 5: And I do think it's a good sign of things like because if you do allow this, I think it's a good sign of player control. Like the second you do like what Brian's talking about, it's a fifteen yard penalty.
Speaker 4: It changes the game.
Speaker 5: And you could point back to a day like this when somebody was swinging some helmet around and everything was completely out of control. Both of these coaches were able to control it, so much so that Rabel jumped in a pile to make sure it was controlled. But it's important to them to understand that you've got to keep your wits about yourself and this is the time of year to work on literally everything, and you know today a couple of cheap shots must have happened somewhere. I don't know, they'll they'll have to tell us who it was. But but everything really remained under con.
Speaker 2: That now anytime.
Speaker 3: Player Oyo t didn't want to get you back.
Speaker 2: So hell it on, o' bero.
Speaker 1: So glad you brought up the coaching because we've talked a lot about Jaye and Daniels in year two, but this is year two for dan Quinn had an historic first season, much like Jayan Daniels. What have you seen from dan Quinn so far? We've been in those meetings, we've heard the presses. What have you seen from so far that makes you optimistic about what he's going to do in year two?
Speaker 5: I mean historic is an understatement because I'm you know, putting together all the stats for the game. You know, he's only there's only one other coach in Commander's history that won twelve games in a season.
Speaker 4: He's the only one to do.
Speaker 2: It in his first year.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 5: So it's a pretty like ridiculous start that he's gotten off to, especially when you take into account rookie quarterback, thirty new players, whole new thing, you know, I think with Jayden, like I got to take the coach's word for it at this point. I mean, all they're doing is raving about him, you know, just raving and raving and raving about him, and you know, saying he's so far ahead of the curve. But I would say, like, until we see it. And it's not that I don't believe him. I do, but like I don't think we've seen it, and I I want to see it in these in these moments, and today was a pretty good sign of it. Like the same thing with like Laramie Tunzel. If you'd watch practice up to this point, you wouldn't have like, you wouldn't have thought much of it. The lights went on today and he in thirty seconds picked somebody up and threw them over like a fence, and you're like, are we at summer Slam?
Speaker 2: Like what like?
Speaker 4: And then all of a sudden, you go, oh, that's who that is.
Speaker 5: So I do feel like that today was one of those the lights went on and you saw who some of these guys are, and we saw what Jaden was immediately, Like they've been playing with their food a little bit in camp. Today they got to see somebody wearing a different uniform and you got it. You got a little glimpse of what they were and what they're going to be.
Speaker 1: Man, it was so great getting you that glimpse and joint practices today, and it was so much fun that we want to have fun on this show because, like I've been saying, we got come mad lives. And for those that aren't as cool as us, you might know him as ad lists, we call them come Mad Lives. So I'm gonna give you, guys, I'm gonna need three adjectives. Y'all give me three adjectives right now, start Eddie, any adjective I'm to say any I'm going to say we can give one Steller okay, strong, uh, chippy. Okay, that's our three adjective stellar, strong, and chippy. Now three offensive players be I'm gonna start with you. I'm gonna go with Jade Daniels, brand Bill Okay, I'm gonna go with Mikey Sanders still okay, Oh no, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: We have my bad I jumped.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna used.
Speaker 4: To play offense.
Speaker 2: He did probably.
Speaker 1: I'm just so excited to talk about our defense because he did so well. K j Osborne who I will have the former patrio. Okay, now think that three this defensive players. I got Mikey Sander Silan. Who you got.
Speaker 4: Ladtimore today? I thought was interesting?
Speaker 5: Then I saw the competitive Marshawn Lattimore today.
Speaker 2: Ken Law, Ken Law, Okay, I like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, three eyebrow raisers, brown eyebrow raiser?
Speaker 4: Can I pick the same person?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: Who just says you can kick the same person.
Speaker 5: Lattimore is eyebrow raising a little bit because it's like again when you go back to the idea of the lights go on, when the lights go on for him, don't mess with him like it's just like, yeah, I'm not playing.
Speaker 4: It's like like that audience. He'll just wear a bumper sticker that says.
Speaker 5: I'm not playing because every play is the most important play on Earth Day.
Speaker 1: Yea, yeah for that, I'll say Laramie tumseel for my I'll go with zach Ertz Ooh, zach ert that's a good one.
Speaker 2: Great to see zach ertzt back out there.
Speaker 1: And then the last one position groups give us one be miss gonna start with.
Speaker 3: She oh, I'll go with the running backs.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna go with the secondary. If it's a back.
Speaker 4: See, I was gonna take corners.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, you can get corners. I'll take the wide receiver corner. All right, now, we got our stuff. I'm looking at my producer right now. So this is what we're about to do. Okay, So I'm gonna give you all a sentence. We got our three defensive players. We're gonna start with the defensive player. This defensive player was getting froggy at practice for the defense. For those that don't know what frog is, it means if you get a froggy and you want to leap leap, it means you're getting in people's faces. He missed was as froggy as it got back in the day.
Speaker 4: So whoever used froggy in this is a big fan of kid.
Speaker 2: Shout out to.
Speaker 4: Used since their famous.
Speaker 3: Is if you just described him to a t.
Speaker 6: Yeah, every player is the most important.
Speaker 3: Is always He's always ready to go.
Speaker 2: He's always with us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he got into it with Kashawn Booty at one point. He was up in everybody's face the whole time. It's just how he is. Gives himself crap like himself like that. A got cut from the same b MITx cloth.
Speaker 1: Okay, now this one, the O m G play of the day came from Blank.
Speaker 2: Offensive players.
Speaker 5: So, I mean there's there's two that happened today, but since we chose Tunsil, Tunsil picking up, I don't.
Speaker 4: Remember who it was, it was one of those he was like, you want to go?
Speaker 2: Really it was a safety.
Speaker 3: It was a safety. He looked like a bounce of getting rid of somebody too, yes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, or the blocking sled where he's just moving it straight forward.
Speaker 1: It was really we are all in on suchs of Okay, next one. The most surprising standout from camp so far has been Blank. This will be from our eye brow Razor.
Speaker 5: Oh man, I'm gonna go Bill, and I you know, like and I know the hype train on Bill is just I think a little out of control, to be honest. I mean the seventh round pick. Give him a break here, like, let's not let's not like have these expectations he's gonna walk in the door and bear Jimior Gibbs, Like, I don't think that's fair to him.
Speaker 4: However he's doing, he's doing things. It makes me think about it.
Speaker 5: Right, So he's been the standout to me, I think the running back room is fascinating, you know, like I really don't know. I think like I think, I think I know who's gonna make it. I don't know who's gonna get a lot of carries. Like I think that's how this summer is shaping out.
Speaker 4: To me.
Speaker 5: I think we're a long way away from knowing who's going to be out on the field against the Giants more than the others.
Speaker 4: I don't know what the packing order is off guys that get carry.
Speaker 1: And that's what makes JCM so intriguing, right and why he's getting all this hype, not only because he's a seventh round pick, but because this running back room. I don't think we've seen death like this in a very very long time. So we cool go with Bill, be mixed, We cool to go cool it.
Speaker 6: But like I was also impressed by Earth because I'm looking at this guy this many years in the league.
Speaker 3: People thought he was done.
Speaker 6: He came in last year, played terrific, and to day, all he did was be open on every damn pass play.
Speaker 5: If you watch today's practice, you would use a first round fantasy pick on him because he's gonna have three hundred receptions.
Speaker 4: That's that's what it looked like.
Speaker 6: Every time I look, I was like, damn, Zachary's calling another ball and it wasn't like he was. They were just throwing him. He was open, they weren't close to it. So he's a route runner. He understands how to position himself and he knows how to use that by it like a basket.
Speaker 1: And him and Jaden's chemistry is phenomenal. Okay, fellas moving on, this blank position group are fun to watch.
Speaker 2: I think we're all going to agree on this one.
Speaker 1: Defensive bags man, I think we're all there for the defensive made big plays again third against the pass last year, and it looks like we've gotten better.
Speaker 6: That is extremely path last year with that crew, with that wild this year with.
Speaker 2: His crew now, a lot goes into that.
Speaker 1: However, you gotta imagine there's still going to be on the Joe A Junior.
Speaker 5: The thing that I'm really excited about with this group is I think they're going to cause a lot more turnovers. That's the part of this that I think is really exciting to me. When I look at them. These are ballhawk players. Amos is a walk in the door day one starter. You could see it in the spring. He's just got it. I think Joe Witt said he gets better every day he's around the ball. Sanders still is consistently around the ball. He makes wild interceptions. Now, he had one in Camper. He was like fun, this one was tipped up in the air today at the joint practice and he's just there. Kwan can catch the ball. Look out Latimore, you know, wants to deck somebody and then take them all away from them. Like I feel like all that can happen. And again like Igbanagai who got a hard time getting on the field, he's around the ball constantly if you watch. So, I mean, that's what I'm excited about with this group. I think we have the Ball as Life group, the thing that they were talking about for the last year. I think they have the group that can actually bring that to life.
Speaker 1: Fellas, it's crazy to think we've done a whole show and if barely talked about JD five, we barely talked about Jayden Daniels. So let's ask him as our last one. He will be our adjective. Jayden Daniels looks blank. We were our adjectives. Producer Jason.
Speaker 2: Stellar strong and all.
Speaker 6: Three of them because you all didn't see when the little scuffle started and everybody start walking off the field. The last person to speak to the guy that look cornerback over.
Speaker 3: There was Jade Daniels.
Speaker 6: Well, they stepped right to him.
Speaker 5: So after practice day someone asked him. They were like, where were you when that happened? He goes, I was there. They pulled me away.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: That conversations with his mom and believe me, he's the nicest guy in the world.
Speaker 3: He smiles a lot. I think what he does he knows how to talk trash.
Speaker 6: He'll walk by and drop a little word at you and agitate the hell out of you because all he wants you to do is go out there and do something stupid, and he's going to take advantage of.
Speaker 5: The best part of it is he does it with a smile. Yeah, that's the funniest fun.
Speaker 4: To smile.
Speaker 5: He's constantly a big wide grin when he's saying something to somebody good or bad.
Speaker 3: You start, you know, you loss.
Speaker 2: That's a perfect point because he's so composed.
Speaker 1: He wants to get you out of your mind, he wants to get you into your body, and he does.
Speaker 2: A great job.
Speaker 3: He does it, man, he does it. He knows what he's doing.
Speaker 2: Man, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I kind of like the command Liz Man shout out to producing Jason and producer and and for.
Speaker 2: Setting that up.
Speaker 1: Now, we do have one more game to go before we end this fun show on this beautiful day in Foxborough. This is what's more important. We're calling it this or that. Okay, you can do with this, and you can deal with that. This that we want BEEVI, it's okay, So this joint practice or that preseason game, what's more important?
Speaker 2: Brown to me?
Speaker 5: It's this practice mainly because you're going to see the starters take part in it.
Speaker 2: Or we did you know?
Speaker 5: And I really I think dan Quis already said that very few of the people who are expected to start are going to play at all, and the ones that are primary backups are probably not going to play very much. That's by design. They wanted to use this week to be a full evaluation. We're going to get a lot of reps with all these starters on film in the practice, and we're going to get a lot of reps on all the guys that are vying to make the team and make the practice squad and be you know, players that they can work with for the future in the game. So for me, because I do feel like we kind of know who this squad is, Like if you said, like, who's the fifty three, I think I could name fifty and probably be on it at this point. I do feel like for me right now, the more reps you get with the starters, seeing them is more important to me right now.
Speaker 6: For the overall team, I believe the practice, the joint practice was more important, But for about three to four guys, preseason game is going to be the most important because those guys probably are looking at those last three spots on that bubble and they got to go out there and perform. We've seen guys over the years where you know what, Hey, the coaches want you to make it because you've shown something and they falter at the wrong point. And I think it's more important for those guys because they didn't.
Speaker 3: Get a chance today. They'll get a chance in the game though.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you're gonna see some veterans there too, Like it's not just the young guys, Like you know, I don't think Michael Galloper kJ Osborn are going to be inactive Friday night.
Speaker 4: Well, these are veterans in the league.
Speaker 5: They're vying for one to two spots, you know, the defensive line. Not all of those guys are going to be in, Like Pain's probably not playing, but not.
Speaker 4: The guys behind them. That's right.
Speaker 5: And the guys behind them are veterans. So you're not seeing this like young versus old situation here. I think you're seeing who really is willing to put it on the line, even if it's just kind of in a reserve role such and.
Speaker 6: What veteran players are going to go into this game and get an attitude because they gotta play. Well, do you do like Bill did in this last year and go out there and run scout team as as hard as he can to make yourself better? I think that right there will be watched too, because coaches want to take out attitude.
Speaker 4: Is what story was wild? The King's very told that was wild.
Speaker 2: That he told that that's a great story. Man's great.
Speaker 1: So I actually have to talk to Bill about that on the Next Man Up podcast, and he's just a great guy, and he just said, I didn't have to do it, but I wanted to be there for my team. I wanted to be there for my eyes, and that says a lot because again he was not allowed to place, so we could have just went about his business, but he stuck with his team.
Speaker 2: We have special you're not gonna play.
Speaker 1: Man high character guys. But it kept him ready because he did get that senior ball the MVP. I moving forward this or that, this, the starters get reps, that the depth guys get evaluation.
Speaker 2: What's more important brand you kind of spoke to this one.
Speaker 5: I think it's the starters getting reps at this point, Like I just I kind of think we know who the frontline starters are and I think this is about getting them as much reps as possible and protecting them all at the same time and you know, trying to avoid injury at all costs. So I actually think right now, like again today, the practice to me was more important than what the game will be. Does it diminish the game in any way to me? I think it's a good evaluation for a lot of young players, Like I do want to see Jacry Brooks and Jacoby Jones out there catching passes and see what that looks like. I think there is a battle for the third quarterback on this team right now, that's important, you know, Like so I want to see all these things materialize. But for me, heading towards the season, it is the reps for the.
Speaker 6: Starters, well I think for me, I think I'm gonna go with the guys getting the backups getting the reps and things like that, well to getting that chance to go show with their bout because last year we saw when startus got hurt, that's when we went.
Speaker 3: To a little slump.
Speaker 6: I want to be able to see which guys can keep the boat to float if that happened, because normally, if you're starting the season, you end up being hurt eventually.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: Cliff brought this up the other day, you know, like because Terry hasn't been practicing because.
Speaker 4: Noah Brown's been out with an injury or they're taking it slow with him.
Speaker 5: These are two people that are supposed to be primary players for this team. Well that is it's a silver lining that you get a lot of players to get opportunities to do this. And it's also as Cliff put it, all right, if this happens in the season, who am I turning to? He needs to finance answer out And now you want to find that out now.
Speaker 2: Totally, and that is the beauty of preseason.
Speaker 1: There is guys out there fighting for their livelihoods, fellas last one. This is that, this winning the game, that showing progress, whatever that may be, what is more important.
Speaker 2: Beans I'm gonna go with you.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna go show in progress because preseason is a little weird. If your starters out there, your second team against their second team, and you're just absolutely better than them, and you're winning the game, and all of a sudden, you put your guys in that you don't have a lot.
Speaker 2: Of faith the inn and they let the game go.
Speaker 6: When you had the people equal to their team, you're winning the game. So I look at that because like preseason, winning preseason game, it's great, it's cool, but it doesn't get you anything. You know, the year we won the Super Bowl ninety one, I don't think we won a game in preseason, and then we got in the regularcly we win eleven games straight.
Speaker 3: So it's about when it really counts.
Speaker 6: You know, I want to win every game, but still I don't think it's vitally important to win a.
Speaker 5: Preseason I don't think it's important to win either However, I do think it's important to look like a team that knows what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, I.
Speaker 5: Don't want to jump on anybody in a preseason game, but if you watch the Hall of Fame game the other day, that was not a good sign for Detroit. And like I know, they didn't play any of their starters, neither did the Chargers, but they made so many mistakes. Yeah, they the score got out of base right the screen, and that score doesn't matter in week one, Like I get that, Like it's just gonna be owen want in a preseason game that doesn't really matter. But if they start slow in the season, you're going to point back to this and go, what were they doing early in the summer? Why weren't they buttoned up all these odd mistakes that they were making. So I do believe that that stuff, Matt. I don't care what the score is at the end of the day. But if you see a team that is making a lot of mistakes, losing their minds because there's a scrap or something and they get weird penalties like those are the type of things point to do you go.
Speaker 4: That can't happen when the real games roll around.
Speaker 5: So that's the stuff that I'm looking for too, And I assume that, you know, for what I saw today, I'll controlled everything was that.
Speaker 4: Neither team's gonna look like that on Friday night.
Speaker 1: Now, this is this is my favorite time of the season. Preseason is back, baby. We got our preseason game in just two days, Fellas, before we wrap this extremely long titled show, how y'all feeling going into Foxboro to face the new England Pages for our first preseason game, brand will start too.
Speaker 5: I actually hope Drake may plays a little bit because I actually thought he looked good in the preseason, and I would love to see our corners getting opportunity with him on the field. I would like to see that. I don't know if that's what they're gonna do, but I would like to see that. So I'm looking for matchups. But I am really excited about the group that is going to go out there and kind of just get a look at them for the first time in a competitive spot, even if it is without some of our primary players.
Speaker 4: But I don't know. Rabel was very close to the bestball.
Speaker 5: What he's gonna do if his starters play, it's not gonna be very much, but I'm hoping it's a little bit because I would like to see that matchup for us.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm very excited about the big guys, you know, because I watch our officer line today and they look way way better. And then you have Coleman and uh and cos Me not being here. Can you could just imagine how good they're gonna be. Then today there were times when they're off in the defensive linemen were standing next to drake Man. He continued on with the play. Probably would have been sacked, but he continues on with the play. It showed me that now we can get some push, we can get to the quarterback, and if they're gonna come when the season start, well that's ended up being sacked. Well, that being being precious where you end up getting those interceptions.
Speaker 5: Let me give one little camp reward. Okay, since you mentioned the line and the injuries that are there, Andrew Wiley deserves some.
Speaker 4: Kind of a war.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for like I don't know whether he's gonna play on Friday night or not, and like I actually hope he doesn't, you know, because like they.
Speaker 4: Clearly need him. He has become in camp.
Speaker 5: They see him as the literal versatile piece that can play any position but left.
Speaker 4: God, they've done that. I've seen him play every position.
Speaker 5: Even today in the practice he was in a guard left guard, not right guard on the right side, that's right. So he deserves he deserves some kind of award for we think you're the most versatile person on the team.
Speaker 3: Right he played every position. We will if we need to.
Speaker 5: They're basically saying, if we need you to do anything, you're gonna be up for it, and we believe you're gonna be able to handle it.
Speaker 4: He deserves some credit for them.
Speaker 1: A couple of guys that I like that because we have a trench Scott too, who does the same exact thing.
Speaker 6: Coach Gibbs told me one time, you say, the more you can do, the longer you can play the more. That's why I never turned down anything. And when you look at Wally the guy, the more he can play, the longer his career is going to be because he shows his value. You know, if you got a guy can play right, going left, going right, tackle, left tackle, and you even get that center, you're gonna keep him around on you football team. You basically five guys from under one salary.
Speaker 1: Man, there is so much to be excited about. Clearly here we just blew through over an hour. I think just chopping it up. I think we talked for a while.
Speaker 5: Wait too, you see how long it takes to say that name of the show again.
Speaker 2: Honestly, com bad. This family, we got two other best year. We have the voice of.
Speaker 1: The Washington Commanders, my god Brand Weinstein, and then of course future Hall of Famer Brian Mitchell.
Speaker 2: This has been our command center practic.
Speaker 1: That's your preseason against the New England Patriots preview exclusive.
Speaker 2: Command this family, we do this all for y'all. We love y'all so much.
Speaker 1: We will holler at y'all next Monday because training camp is still going on and we will be live. Your commands of the crew will be live next Monday for training camp. But until then, we'll see y'all Friday when our commanders take on the New England Patriots.