Speaker 1: Hey, folks, it's Lyle. Before we get into the episode, I wanted to talk to you guys about a new thing I'm doing where you can help support my lizard endeavors by becoming a Premium member of this podcast over at Therapy Gecko dot supercast dot com. Premium members, or gek Legends, as I call them, we'll be able to get every new and existing episode of Therapy Gecko completely ad free. They'll also get a bonus podcast episode once a month, a bonus live show episode once a month from all of the live shows I've been doing around the world, a member's only live stream once a month. Plus you'll also support my ability to continue, hopefully doing this podcast for a long time, doing it around the world, and also supporting my ability to occasionally go eat a slice of pizza. Go to Therapy Gecko dot supercast dot com or find the link in the episode description to become a gek Legend today. All right, let's get into the episode.
Speaker 2: All from William.
Speaker 1: Hello, what's your name?
Speaker 2: William?
Speaker 1: Have we ever spoken before? William?
Speaker 2: We have not? Well, where are you at right now?
Speaker 1: Where am I at right now? I'm I'm I'm under the ocean. I'm in the clouds, I'm inside of your brain. I'm talking to you on the telephone. Why hold on? Why would you say that I'm in Arizona.
Speaker 2: Because aren't you like on tour or something.
Speaker 1: I I'm I'm I'm I'm on tour on off this whole year. But right now I am in an indus. I am. I am in a place, sitting in a chair talking to you. That's where I consider myself to be. Where are you?
Speaker 2: Welcome home? Thanks you for New York City baby.
Speaker 1: Okay, how's that going? So you're in New York City? Is there anything in particular that you called in to talk about today?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I want to tell you a weird story about me, because you're kind of a kindred spirit, a wanderer, a traveler, and I have a weird story about like what I've been traveling since I was like nineteen or something, just basically like wandering around the world, like moving places and doing weird shit. And I want to tell you about like the weirdest think one of the weirdest things that's happened to me, you know, the adventurous.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, tell me the story.
Speaker 2: So, like I just like broke up with this girl I was dating for ten years. So I just like was flipping out, like totally, like one of those moments where you just like your identity is totally malleable, and so I like I flipped out. Went to India and my second night there, like like I just had spent one full day there and was kind of like, Damn, India kind of sucks or something, you know, because you always did when you first get somewhere, before you start having fun.
Speaker 1: And tell me, I want to know what so you you were when you were there the first day? What was it that that you felt sucked about India?
Speaker 2: Nothing sucked. It's just you travel like kind of to escape at times, and I find that it's kind of annoying because you realize, oh, I'm still here in India.
Speaker 1: It's true. Everything that's true, everything you're escaping from tends to follow you in a sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like life always, you know, like there's this right I think the Buddha says, uh. People will say, you know, go here or go go there, But I tell you the truth, the whole world is burning. I think that's real talk, bro.
Speaker 1: But are you okay? Hold on? Are you old? Are you okay? What is up with you?
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm just nervous, dude. This is I just called like seventeen times like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: No, I don't know you sound I don't know. I just I couldn't tell if you were doing a bit or something, because you know, I'm gonna taking you up full. I'm taking you up at full at uh face value here, and I would I would be so upset with you at the very end of it. Okay, Okay, it's if you're It's like, I appreciate that if you're naturally just a weird guy. I'm I'm a weird guy too. I invite that. I just I don't know if you're doing a bit. But okay, so you realize that India didn't suck. Your life just sucked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean sort of. But I mean life is cool too. But uh so I went to sleep in this hostel and then this this dude comes in, these like two Muslim dudes, and they start like praying super loud and stuff. It's which is something that's happened in my travels, Like Muslim guys just like pray openly and the and it's like annoying.
Speaker 1: But that's interesting because I always thought of prayers in prayer, prayer's kind of a quiet activity. How are they praying? Loud should be.
Speaker 2: But it's like kind of flex like it's kind of like flexing, like they'll do it like right in front of everybody. But whatever, you know, DEAs drum and it eventually, you know, the story leads to me becoming Muslim. So I so this guy, like he shined a light in my face and was just like you were very handsome, and then he was like, I want you to come to work with me tomorrow. And I was like, uh, you know, I'm just trying to be open to new experiences. So I'm like, okay, yeah, like sure, I'll go to work with you tomorrow whatever that means.
Speaker 1: And I like that.
Speaker 2: I like that. I wake up the next day, I go with him and we're in Ludbay and it turns out he's like this wholesaler and he like owns a cosmetic small in this other town called Suda and uh, and so I go, I'm walking around with him and move by through these like all these areas like you know, I would never normally get to go to. You know that, like you don't you don't see any tourists and like it's getting really like sketchy, like going through like really like poor parts of town and just and more than that, just like India is fucking crazy. Man, Like you've got to go to India. It's like amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so so this man just to catch usf So this You are sleeping in your hostel and a man wakes you up by telling you that you're very handsome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you kind of had a crust on me.
Speaker 1: But this sound this you that sounds like you were like his easiest human trafficking victim.
Speaker 2: Well, dude, exactly, because I was in the right head space too, So you'll see all this it basically it's kind of what happened. But so, uh, I'm going around with him these wholesalers, and I'm like his like token white guy. Like he's like, look like I have an American with me, and I'm like at the time, I'm like working in construction for like years, and he's like, okay, like tell him you're in the construction business. Like he's like he's like introducing me me to people as if I'm like Donald.
Speaker 1: Trump or something, right right right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'm like, yeah, you own the company I mean, well make like, yeah, fifteen dollars an hour, but uh, I'm like yeah, sure, man, like I'll help you flex and it's working. They're all like very impressed, like wow, where'd you find this white guy? And at the time, I had like guy fieddi like frosted tips, so I looked even more freakish. Like when you're in India, like everyone stares at you already just if you're like a foreigner, but I looked like a extra weird foreigner. So people are just like what the fuck is that? Like everywhere I go, and I was out there for a while, so it was like a constant thing. But so yeah, so then he starts like taking me to mosque and and we get into one and and it's there's something really sweet about it because you kind of has to like argue to like even get me past the past. The people even let me in. They're like, no, that guy's not coming into the mosque, and he's like I'm I'm ticking them in, like get out the way.
Speaker 3: Like this is my brother. It was.
Speaker 2: It was adorable, and it was really like it came from a really good hearted place, I feel, and and so but you know, to go in the mosque and to pray. You know, it's like call to prayer time, and so I had to say the prayer to like become Muslims. So I said that this prayer.
Speaker 1: Well when hold on, you said you had to say the prayer to become so you're you. So so let me get this straight. So within the span of like how within the span of a day for.
Speaker 2: This is four hours. Yeah, with a four.
Speaker 1: Hour span, you're sleeping in a hostel, a man wakes you up by telling you, and you go with him to a mosque and convert to Islam on the spot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's like, well, it's it'd be awkward to back out now, I'm already we already like fought to get me in here. So it's like, yeah, fuck it, I'll say the prayer. And it's like what can I lose? You know, like I'm down. I'm I'm really down to just go deep when I travel and just like fucking let it consume me. You know, that's the whole point.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I don't by the way, I don't think that's a bad idea at all. You look, you only have one life. You might as well try out all the religions exactly.
Speaker 2: Man, and and dude, Islam is beautiful.
Speaker 1: Like okay, so I so you you got you this this this guy I brings you into his mosque is to argue with the guys there to get you in and then you say a prayer and what happens after that?
Speaker 2: So so then I go in and I, you know, I do the whole prayer like where with all you know that you see with all the dudes like lined up on the ground like in rows, and I'm praying in these they're like ancient mosque like and when you're in there praying, it feels like it's like two thousand years ago or something like. And I was having like feeling these really like intense, profound feelings, you know, Like I was like, oh shit, this is like pretty real. And I'm not like a big fan of dogma or anything, but it was like I was like, whoa, Like maybe this is that this is actually it, you know, But more than anything, I'm just trying.
Speaker 3: To have an experience.
Speaker 2: But it's kind of blowing my mind. And you know, throughout the day. By the end of the day, he's taken me to like eight mosque, you know, and we've been praying. You know, I'm already starting to pray like you know, you know, ten times.
Speaker 3: A day or whatever.
Speaker 2: I don't even remember the amount, but I'll praying a lot, you know, in between, like in between all these calls he had to make to like buy makeup or whatever. And and so then we're sitting we'll get to like one of the sketchiest neighborhoods We've got to so far, I've already prayed like, you know, a bunch of time. I'm super Muslim already. And he's introducing me to everybody. It's like, this is my new Muslim friend. And and then I get he takes me in his room with the sketchiest dudes like smoking clove cigarettes, and like, uh, He's like, yeah, this is my new Muslim friend. He's American. He's an American businessman. And then he asked me in front of these guys, He's like, will you change your name to Mohammad? And I'm like, and I was just being spineless at this point.
Speaker 1: It's just like no, you're you're you're you're in you'redeed. If he asked you to change your name, you're doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, and it's just like I was like, okay, yeah, fine, I'm mohammed, you know, just to get him off my fucking back because if I say no, I'm like, it was kind of scary, you know, like I felt really pressured.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you a question. Let me ask you a question. Okay. So at this point where this may okay again, a man wakes you up in the middle of the night, tells you you're very handsome and to come with him. You are our heartbroken. You have nothing else going on in your life, so you are walking down any path that presents itself to.
Speaker 2: You exactly, man.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so then then he takes you on a tour of ten different musques. You pray at all of them, and then is this is this all? Is this all on one day?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: This is day one?
Speaker 1: And then he and then the man asked you to change your name like in that momd like, did you where did you think this was all going in your head? Don't tell me where I did. I want to get to where it actually went, but where did you? Didn't give up? He said, you didn't care.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm just like, I'm when ship like that happens with me, man, I just go like yes, like I thank God, like anytime some wild, like chaotic shit happens around me, Like I went to jail like last month and it sucks, like random mood and it sucked, but it was like I like thank God for that shit, like when it when it doesn't actually hurt me. I'm just like, because that's what I want out of life, man, those like real ass insane experiences, like I want that till the day die, you know, And That's what I'm looking for. And uh so I'm just like yeah, yeah sure. And then he's like and then he asked me, I want you. I'm I have this like meeting I do yearly his cousin mall is called Nur Group. And he says, I want you to come to come to my hometown tomorrow and and you're gonna stay with me at my family house for a week, and I want you to give an inspirational speech to two hundred people. And he said, I'm still in front of the sketchy scary dudes after I changed my name to Muhammad, and I was like okay, yeah sure, and so I locked that in. We get out and I start like questioning, like holy shit, this is like, sou like, what am I doing? Like I'm just on fucking vacation, and I'm like roped into this thing. My name is Mohammed and I'm Muslim. Like I realize it's insane, and and I get kind of mad, and I'm like, dude, listen, like I'm not Muslim, my name's not Mohammed, and I'm not gonna like go give this fucking inspirational speech.
Speaker 3: Him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly. And then he was like okay, okay, And you know this this place Sadat it's called the Diamond City, and the merchants from there are like known for being great salesman. So this man was a very convincing man. Is this stout, like ugly guy who's always like drooling, like this ship that he has in this like tobacco shit he has in his lip. But he's like a powerful dude, you know. And and he's like, Okay, you're not Muslim and not Mohammed, but please like come back with me in my hometown and get this inspirational speech. And I gave in. I fucking gave in, man, And so, uh, I go with him to his hometown. He has this little he has this like teenage assistant with him. Dude that's hanging out with us all day and I go with him out to Saddat and.
Speaker 4: We get there.
Speaker 2: I keep like praying every day in the mosque and like and in between, Like you don't only pray in the mosque, you put pray at like these places, at gas stations, there's like a spot everywhere to pray, play in your house, but basically just pray a whole bunch of every day.
Speaker 1: And when you're and let me ask you, when you're praying every single day, Okay, you're just you started practicing Muslim a day ago and you're praying at gas stations, You're praying everywhere you get the chance to pray. What do you actually do? Are you have you like internally submitted yourself to to to Islam at this point? Like what do you actually.
Speaker 2: Because the thing is man like the I'm just like I I was raised Christian, I still like Christianity. I've went to Buddhist retreats, I've taken ayahuasca. Like I love like all religions. I love Hinduism, love Ramdas, I love all that shit. I love Islam Like I don't really make distinctions, like to me, wisdom is wisdom and God is God, and like dogma really bothers me, like religiosity bothers me, and that part really bothered me. But there's some type of sacred transmission in that whole ceremony, Like there's this cleaning ceremony before you play, and it's all like symbolic, and I was just having to watch it. There's so many like moves you have to know, So every time I pray, if you will be looking at me like he doesn't know what he's doing, and you kind of have to like look around and like, okay, I wash my feet on and then I go in here and I do this move and then that that move, and you do this weird stuff where you like pray for your memory and like for your eyes and stuff. And it was just deep and and so and then I'm like hanging out with this guy's family, like I'm in his home now, and it turns out he's like the richest fucking dude in this town. We're rolling around in like benz is and it's funny, like you drive a Benz in India and you just fucking like scrape it up against motorcycles. You just basting shuit up, like, but this guy, can I ask can I ask you?
Speaker 1: What is this? So this guy? Okay, so what's the name of his hometown again, Surat?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And he you met him in Mumbai?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So how far away? How far away was are those two places?
Speaker 2: I think it was like a like a five hour train ride or something. Wow.
Speaker 1: So so if this what the hell is this guy? If he's the richest guy in this town, what the hell is he doing at a random tourist hostel in Mumbai?
Speaker 2: Because because it's fucking India, Man, I don't know. It's like, what what's like rich in India in Sudha is not the same as what's rich in America?
Speaker 1: You know, Okay, okay, I want to hear the kund of a buddy.
Speaker 3: What well?
Speaker 1: No, go ahead, go ahead, you talk.
Speaker 2: It's kind of a baller thing, it seemed like to me. Even to be in like a hostel, It's kind of like the rich kids of India are more likely to be found there than you know, poor people. Yeah, this is where the westerners stay and stuff that is kind of follower in India. I feel like I could be wrong. I mean, Indian people might be like this guy doesn't know what he's talking about, but this is just my impression.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're in I'm just going to keep an ups in the city wrong, but you know what I'm talking about. So you're in this guy's hometown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm staying with his like wife and kids. He's given me my own room and like he's like made me a part of his family. Like I'm praying there's like structure in my life. Like this is me coming out of one of the most flipped out, like manic depressed parts of my life. And I've just like stopped talking to my mom, my two best friends, broke up with a girlfriend of ten years, lost her family. Like I was alone in the world at this time. And and there's a philosophy among Muslim people of like of like welcoming people and giving to people, and they and Indian people are like this too, and they just like gave me everything and welcomed me completely. And it was like, you know, I'm playing with his little nephews and it's like I'm like these people love me, like you know, like I have a place here and and it's just like it's all kind of like makes a lot of sense. And so basically he's like he even he's like taking me to these like Muslim scholars and shit, and I'm like talking to them about what like confuses me about the Quran and stuff, and I'm going deep. And then I guess the conclusion of all this was I they had that big meeting with two hundred people, and I gave the fucking inspirational speech. I wrote it that morning.
Speaker 4: I wrote it that morning in bed, and then went to this place with all these people that worked at a small it is cosmetic small, and I wrote some fucking dumb ass speech about like hard work and like the value of that even small job to have value. I think I kind of like bombed, like because they didn't even need to hear me tell them about hard work.
Speaker 2: Like they were already crying, like because they're so like passionate about their job, Like they didn't need me telling them this ship. But you know, I tried.
Speaker 3: I sent it this weird fucking.
Speaker 2: Guy fory I had like my hair reached back. I went gave me a suit, I got like a fucking haircut of shape.
Speaker 1: So you basically came in here like they thought like so the guy was he was saying, this man works in the construction business, making everyone think that you are like like you're Donald if you own some kind of giant construction enterprise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's using me to his leverage because not only it's such a big deal to people that he's getting this light American dude to be a Muslim, like he's scoring hard, like that's the biggest flex.
Speaker 1: Imagine, do you remember can I hear? Do you have any lines from this speech? Do you have it? Do you still have it?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: They fucking recorded it, but they got they ended up getting too mad at me that they didn't give it to me.
Speaker 1: I how did they? Okay, so did this take a turn? Do people get mad at you after this?
Speaker 3: Whatever?
Speaker 2: Really take a turn? Like super dramatically. But ultimately, you know, this was the end of like my seventh day or something. And by now they've offered me like they're like, listen, you're a part of our family now and and we think that you belong here. We think you're people are telling me, we think you're gonna be a great Muslim, like influential Muslim. And I was like, you know, like they're like showing me these Westerners that like became Muslim, and they're like, this is a path for you. And you're you're gonna work at our cosmetics mall, You're gonna be an international businessman. You're going to travel like around Europe and India and Africa buying from wholesalers. You're gonna be like one of the top guys at our company. You're going to live in my house and you're gonna be a part of my family. And we're gonna get you. You're gonna have up We're gonna get you a wife, and you can have up to three wives. You know. So all this shit was sounded pretty damn nice.
Speaker 1: Wait he told you that he was gonna give you three wives.
Speaker 3: Up to three.
Speaker 2: It's like if the one isn't good then you can get another.
Speaker 3: If two isn't good.
Speaker 2: Enough, you can get like a third or something. So I was like, this was all sounding pretty I mean, fuck, dude, you know, I'm like twenty four years old at this time. Like that sounds like a pretty damn good life.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: That's why I was gonna ask guys gonna like when they're okay, they're they at that point. I mean, you I assume you didn't have a job and you broke it up with your girlfriend. At that point, were you just like were you considering it? Were you like yeah, and that fuck it, I might just stay here in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it freaked me out because I was just like, am I thinking like I felt this whole time, like I had my head on my shoulders, Like this wasn't even my first rodeo I've been doing. My entire life has been weird as fuck.
Speaker 3: So like.
Speaker 2: This is like something that I'm accustomed. This level of weirdness is not new to me. So but like but I was like, am I like being brainwashed or something? Like, am I okay? Like this is this okay? And what it was freaky because I was like, I think I might actually fucking do this, Like I think I might actually stay here. So but then after the last I give that speech, and then I had decided that I needed to leave this town for a little bit to think on my own. Because the thing is, the whole time I was there, I was never left alone, like only in my bedroom, but I had like sofurs everywhere, like I had a chaperone at all times, to the point where I almost couldn't think straight. Like I wasn't like, like, first of all, I have a shit some the like diary and stomach problems because I just got to India. They're feeding me a fucked hunt, like literally force feeding me with their hands, and said, and I'm not sleeping that that much. Like these like Muslim people know how to fucking party, like without alcohol and stuff like they just kind of just stay up and just like work their fucking ass off his prey a ton. So it's like it gets you into this kind of like state and and I was like, I need to go be alone and like consider what's going on right now. And it was right when it was about to be Ramadan. So they were like, we want you to stay at least one more month for Ramadan. And I was like it was kind of if I did that, it was like game over. You know. Of course I was going to like stay for the rest of my life after one month of Ramadan. But so so I was like, nah, I gotta leave. I had this beautiful moment with them with the family one last night, like reading the Koran. His like brother gave me these beads and he said, like if you don't even if you don't come back or while you're thinking about this, I want you to take these beads and every day I want you to chance Yahadi Yahadi Yahadi and yah Rahim yah Rahim yah Rahim. I said, I don't know. It's something something some type of prayer or for like help from God's very sweet. Yeah it was cool, man, it's this is all I love Islam. Islam as cool as fuck. But but yeah, I uh so, I just get out. Well it the morning I told everybody was gonna leave, and then the morning I was gonna leave, I wake up and it's the first morning I can't find sucking anybody to give me the ride to the train station, even though that's what we all talk about me doing the day before. Like suddenly everyone's gone, Like suddenly everyone's gone. And I was like, all right, fuck this, put on my backpack, packed my ship, and I walked myself to the train station. And then this man, my protector, my patron, the.
Speaker 1: Guy from the guy from the very beginning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the guy who loves me, and he uh he just was like text me like what you've done is very bad, Like he was pissed, and he's like, dude, I just told you I was gonna do this, but I bet he got it made him real mad, and he was like he was mad. I mean, he probably would have like accepted me back if I changed my mind, but he was. He was really heartbroken about it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I think they all kind of were because in their eyes, like for me to not become a Muslim is like it's like cursing myself to hell, you know, so like and and this guy, like it sounds all like ulterior motives, but I think this man actually was like really cared about me and was really trying to help me. So it was like it was sad for them because it's like, damn all right, man, Like you're kind of fucked though. You know. He told me before I left, you know, he's like, you know, all this peace, you're feeling, all this love, you know it's gonna be gone when you leave here. And I mean he was sort of right because it was his home, it was this base. But the thing is is that I wasn't allowed to have an identity there, Like I'm I never tested this, but I'm like bisexual. Like what would these people think if I told the most bisexual or what if you know, like or just what if these people knew who I really am, and and if they wouldn't, they probably wouldn't even have responded any type of way except for just shut up, don't talk about that, and like in line, and it was like that big break when I was twenty four, I had to hit this big moment where I was sick of that, you know, like I had to say fuck everything to be free. So it's like, I'm not going to just like lock myself down again right as I begin exploring. So then I just went continued traveling in India and went and did a bunch of other really weird.
Speaker 1: Huh. So this is fascinating because and you know, you said at the beginning that we're kindred spirits, and I know exactly what you're talking about when you're like I am on the hunt for you know, experiences and things that are you know, out of out of my ordinary. Yeah, I identify with you on that. And it's funny to me because like I'm sure people listening to this probably probably and you you said it yourself, You're like, I know it sounds ulterior motive, and I'm sure people listening to this have all kinds of theories and reactions to the things that you're talking about, and and these ideas of how there might be some ulterior motive going on in there, because it's just so it's just so strange, like why is this guy in a in a in a tourist hostel five hours away from where he lives and asks you it's just so many, so many questions. You just don't have answers to them. And you were there, you lived it, and yet you still look at it, and you, even after having had some time to look at this from outside, you still think to yourself, you know, I don't think there was an ulterior motive. I genuinely believe that this guy felt as though or.
Speaker 2: It could be both, could it could be a.
Speaker 1: Combination of both, but just you saying you genuinely felt as though this guy uh wanted you to have a better life, just because that's the kind of guy he is, and just because that's the kind of you know.
Speaker 2: He wanted me to have a better life, and he wanted to flex that he got this uh, white kid to become a Muslim, and he wanted me to be like his token in business. And I think he had a little bit of a gay crush on me.
Speaker 1: But in addition, you think hold on you, you just brought that, you think he had a gay crush on you, just vaguely.
Speaker 2: Just vaguely. Oh fuck, I shouldn't even say that. Man, I'm gonna like dock this guy. God damn it.
Speaker 1: I guar look, even the most sophisticated fucking private agent I don't think could determine where this guy is from based on this story. Although I don't know. This town sounds kind of small. What's the name of it.
Speaker 2: Let's forget about that, all right, Well the city you mean, yeah, the city.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you something. So I let me ask you a question. If he came on to you, how would you have reacted.
Speaker 2: I don't know. He's pretty gross. He's like this stout, like he had this like gnarled face, like talked in this like really loud, like raspy. Boy.
Speaker 1: I can't tell how you feel about you know, I can't tell how you feel about this guy because on one hand, you talk about him like you're with with like uh, suspicion, but you also talk about him with like love and genuineness, because both are true.
Speaker 2: Man, that's been that's like, that's my experience of everything. Man, Like it's I feel like everything is true?
Speaker 1: Do you have have you texted? Has this guy texted you since? How long? How long ago was this?
Speaker 3: First of all, this was this was like four years ago, like.
Speaker 1: Twenty eight Now has he texted you since?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Because that was like my Indian phone and he got.
Speaker 3: It for me.
Speaker 1: So you you don't even have any way of getting like if you if you woke, if you.
Speaker 2: I could go the Let me ask you what.
Speaker 1: In the past four years, In the past four years, have you ever woken up in the middle of the night and been like I should have taken the offer for the three wives and the and and out the Bentley and all. No.
Speaker 2: No, but you know I do. I do consider getting back into Islam because I kind of want to go do Hajj and go to Mecca because that just sounds insane, Like just like people have no I idea how trippy Islam is. Like I've done all that shit and like it's one of the you know, it's as trippy as taking DMG or something, and it's very deep. You know, all these like all these dogmatic religions have a very mystical and true aspect to them, you know, and just like going to Mecca would be insane. But I think I would need to practice a lot because you can't go there unless you're a Muslim, you know, So I'd need to be a real Muslim. And so I think about it, and I think about becoming a Muslim again. But it's weird because.
Speaker 3: It's like.
Speaker 2: I don't know how people would feel about me, even you know, I don't think that's really kosher, even for a guy like me, like that one foot one out, one foot in, one foot out, like with many religions. And that's what kind of annoys me about many religions is like this, uh, this lack of like nuance in the thinking and like this all these rules and it's like like it's it's kind of sad to me that Islam is so dogmatic because it's so rich and it's so funny.
Speaker 1: Can you I'm like I feel like I'm I feel like I have a thirty percent understanding of what that word means.
Speaker 2: You keep using it dogmatic, yes, like you know, just buy the book, you know, by the rules, like look like you know and like and like shame, shame, shame, and you fucked up and you know, like I walked into I walked into a mosque with like a tear in my pants, and that's like a massive faux pas. Not that that's even you know, but just I wish, I wish like some of the goodness of some of these like great religious traditions could be like shared with more. I mean Christianity too.
Speaker 1: You're trying to you you're trying to you're trying to alacart the religions exactly. Yeah, which you know, I don't think that's anything wrong. I mean, I mean, look, here's in the grand scheme of things. You could make a religion called william Ism and you could go ahead and be what you believe.
Speaker 2: Be called William's Way, Williams Way.
Speaker 1: Why did you go to jail last month?
Speaker 2: Oh dude, I I uh I Have you heard of this app random Nautica?
Speaker 1: No, what is that?
Speaker 2: It's like an app that like generates random GPS coordinates and so.
Speaker 1: Like it sounds like that sounds like the start of how somebody went to jail for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I just love it. You've got to try it out. It's like right up your you have to try it. But uh so, I don't know if you've ever gotten to like chaos magic or anything like that. But the idea is, if you know William Burrows and do like if you create randomness, if you do things that create randomness, it invokes like synchronicity and like magic, like if you if you do that, you know the I don't know if you've heard of the cut up technique, but you if you cut a newspaper up and separate all the words and then like jumble them together, it's like that it will try it will speak to you, you know. So it's like, uh, the GPS coordinates when you when you do something random, when you break out of the matrix by doing something you normally wouldn't do, weird shit will happen. Like test it, like to everybody out there, I dare you to go. Try to think of something you would never do and do it and see if some weird ass shit doesn't happen. I promise you it will, you know. And so we're going around doing this random nautica thing, and you know, we found some abandoned boats at some point, and then me and my friend Wan and then we went into this like waste processing plants and we like acted like we worked there, Like I was like pretending to talk on the phone, and like we got in and and then we were done. We had this big adventure exploring Brooklyn. And then at the very end of the night, we we went to our last stop and we hopped a hopped the fence into a construction uh whatever, construction site, and we got fucking arrested.
Speaker 3: Dude.
Speaker 2: Those things are posted up, and we got arrested hard, and it was so scary. It sucked getting arrested dude.
Speaker 4: In New York.
Speaker 1: I liked.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 1: You're like, you know, man, if you go out of your way, crazy things will happen, like getting arrested for trespassing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: But but but we were looking for adventure, man, and we found it.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I you look man, I'm look I like you, man. I like the way you think.
Speaker 3: Right. This is.
Speaker 1: Uh, you're you're you're out there to live. Uh, you know, all the days of your life. I respect that.
Speaker 2: I mean there's a lot of off days. But I'll get pumped again. I'll get the bravery back.
Speaker 1: What do you do for a Do you have a job or a girlfriend?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, I do you have elements to your life that are I assist of.
Speaker 2: That's like one thing I made. I've been making art for like years. I'm trying to do I'm trying to be like a big painter in New York City, and I'm really on and off about that goal because it's like, fuck, I just want to go through random ship, but there's like this gravity that keeps pulling me back to painting. So if anybody in New York or Brooklyn knows a place, like has a space where I can do an art show, I've got a bunch of badass paintings and I'm gonna make a whole bunch more. So, please reach out to me. If you've got a spot, I can your show.
Speaker 1: You're like, you're like David Show, I do, dude.
Speaker 2: David Show made a huge impact. That's what started me on a lot of this ship. Bro. I watched Thumbs Up when I was like, I watched that one movie where he gets like lost in Alaska.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm talking about. Im up is yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: But then yeah, I watched the Thumbs Up right before I graduated high school, and I was like, damn, Like, yeah, he's one of the goodus for sure, man, he's one of the heroes. And you are too.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: I was just watching you.
Speaker 2: Like, I was just watching you like walk around in Japan, and I was just like, damn, like I gotta get back out there. I gotta shake some ship up.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know what, fuck man, I I I that's that's cool that you you liked the Japan stuff. I still need to like put edit that and put it on YouTube, but yeah, I loved I love doing that kind of shiit of just I mean, that's what's cool about the Gecko costume is like I can go out anywhere and just people will start talking to me, and you know that that leads you to all kinds of all kinds of adventures and whatnot. Well, okay, what's your do you if you want? If you want, do you want to plug yourself? Do you have an art thing? Yeah, you can do.
Speaker 2: I've got like an art I g it's not really I'm better. I'm better than it shows. But like I I'm not very like I've never really like given a lot of time in my marketing or whatever. But yeah, I'll plug my thing and somebody fucking give me a room. I can show some art and a big white box.
Speaker 1: You can. Why look, man, you know there's Google and Craigslist and ship right, this is the worst possible avenue for you to be asked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe maybe I'm.
Speaker 1: What's what's your Instagram?
Speaker 2: William Way one two three four.
Speaker 1: William Way one tooth before? All right, man, I'll check you out.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go on it right now and I'm gonna post a picture of me at the giving the inspirational speech you.
Speaker 1: Have you have the photo of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, not like me and you're crazy.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, well all right, before we go, what's your what's next for you? What's your wit? You told you had you told me that you had a job, and I fucking forgot what you said.
Speaker 2: It was I assist a painter. I assist one of my heroes. It is art assistant.
Speaker 1: Okay, nice? What's next for you? What's your big What's what's next in your life? William?
Speaker 2: Well, there's a there's a little fork like I'm I'm trying to I'm like, I'm like either gonna go to art school in Germany. There's a school called like stable school I'm trying to give into or or if that if I don't get in I think I'll just like go like travel, Like I'm like, you know, about to be fucking thirty, so it's like I want to spend like if I'm not in art school, you know, sistering the Thief, then I'm going to just like go like travel aimlessly for another year.
Speaker 1: Probably that's cool Africa. It's so funny. I'm like, I'm I'm only twenty five, and I'm like feeling like, oh am I getting too old to because I did a lot of like, you know, I I this this you know, this kick that you're talking about of like I want to just go to a foreign country and like see what the fuck is going on and like what maybe I talk go try to talk to this person I wouldn't normally talk to and see where that leads me. I was, I was really on that kick when I was like twenty and that I was readly on that kick a lot. You know, the Gacko got me back on that kick because the gecko makes doing that stuff, you know, a lot, a lot easier because again, you know, when I cost people want to talk to me, and I also I've excuse me to do it and they can film it and put it up there, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's great when you confuse the two. That's like what I've had a hard time finding is like I love making art, and I'm like annoyingly like I don't know, like as much as I want to travel, I'm always like forcing myself. There's this weird part of my like other brain that like forces me to like sit down and like do projects and try to like accomplish things. And it's like somehow I need to learn to I'm trying to figure out how to respect both of those forces in my life because they're both seem they both seem necessary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too, man, No, me too. I'm I'm I'm like you know, I mean, I'm sitting here in this studio talking to you, which is located in a place like we said, yeah, and it's like I could fucking could like go to I don't know, uh uh uh Iceland and try to you know, stream from there and do my stuff. I mean that's what That's what I really want to do, man. I Yeah, yeah, I I I loved it, Like I said that that that's gonna be kind of my I think I think I want it to be. My focus for next year is making more of those kinds of videos, because you're right, man, there is this like one of the big uh kind of back and forth you know, in my head has been the the desire to sit my ass down and create some sort of foundation for my existence and then the desire to do the opposite and just you know, screw off to somewhere and bop around. But yeah, you know, I mean also, you know, especially considering that how how imminent our deaths are. Yeah, it's cool, but it's also, by the way, it's also horrifically depressing. Sometimes, you know, sometimes you alone, so like you were saying, dude, it's uh, you know, sometimes you're just alone in Remember I was like, I went, I was alone, and uh, Paris is really fucking sad on a bench.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it could be really depressing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I was just like, what the fuck am I doing right now? But there's something, there's like there's life in that, you know.
Speaker 2: So yeah, absolutely, it's like, yeah, I mean, at the end of the day, I feel like I've been trying to like take my focus from like to the present to the present moment, like just trying to get more because because ultimately all that ship, like I've done like like a ship ton of adventures and like had lots of like pleasure and even like accomplished some cool things I really wanted to do with art and stuff. And it's like it's never it's it's so fleeting, like you can go to you could go to fucking wherever for two years and have the time in your life, and then the thing is it's like over, you know, So it's true, and then you're back, You're back where you started, and that like that never stops, like you'll always find yourself back in the room just with yourself. And so I'm just trying to be and and I've spent so I've wasted a lot of energy and time just like wanting to be somewhere else and that that that feeling will chase you everywhere you go and there's nothing like you have to address it head on.
Speaker 1: It's true. Well that's what I feel like, is when you're talking about trying to combine the two, like you know, can I build something or be or can I can I be creating something while I'm on these adventures, you know, that'll make it seem like I've I've progressed my life in some way shape or form, but I you know, you know, look, you say you're back where you started, but uh, I mean you have progressed your life in some way, shape or form. You put yourself out there, you know a little bit more about the world around you. Yeah, you've met No, it's not a waste of time, and I think it's a great use of time. But also to the to the point of trying to be present. I was I think I have said this on the podcast before, so whatever, but I was on a walk with my mom the other day and my dog, and it was like a sunny day outside, and I was just like in my hometown and I remember just thinking to myself, like, you know, it was it was. It was pretty much the complete opposite of like some crazy adventure in a place I've never been to. It's the opposite of that, but it was. It was so beautiful, and I was like, oh, if this is the best that life gets, this is pretty goddamn good. I could spend I could spend the whole lifetime, you know, trying to to be uh, you know, grateful for just this instead of all this trying to be like, what's the next crazy thing I can go and do? So I also struggle with that big back and forth of should I be happy where I am or should I go try and go to fucking Mars.
Speaker 2: Well, the funny thing is it's like you might as well, like while you're not on the trip, like exer, start exercising that muscle of just like because like a lot of the best fucking moments in life are literally just like like being on the bus, like listening to reggae, staring out the window and you feel really good for no reason, you know, And it's like that's a lot of the best moments. They don't like.
Speaker 1: Require like a whole you like do you have do you have dreadlocks? I'm imagining you with dreadlocks now.
Speaker 2: No, not at all, dude.
Speaker 1: What's your name again?
Speaker 2: William William? Super nice to meet you, bro.
Speaker 1: Nice to meet you too.
Speaker 2: I'll try to go to a live show and meet you.
Speaker 1: I'm coming to Brooklyn. I'm coming to brose sell out so.
Speaker 2: Quick and I'm like so bad at getting it in time.
Speaker 1: This is the fucking the ticket survivable now anyway, whatever, I'm not gonna make this think about my tour. Okay, uh William is good talking to you, man. I hope you figure out your stuff. I'll check out. What was it? William? One two three your.
Speaker 2: Way one two three four A box to show my art and please?
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, good talking, you will, good luck and fucking praise a lot. Is that what they say?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, praise as on the way coon.
Speaker 1: All right, man, you take care.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 1: I like that guy. He was cool, made me think about stuff, made me think about wanting to go out into the university. I like, you know, I don't know the way he was talking about that family and the whole experience he had with that guy where he felt as though that guy's intentions were genuine in a sense, even though the circumstances surrounding it were, you know, definitely bizarre. I don't know. I don't I don't think any of us will know unless if somebody listening to this is like, is lives in that city that he mentioned and he was like, this is a thing here. So I don't know, but thanks for Sharon William.
Speaker 3: Hello, Hey, yo, what's up man?
Speaker 1: How you doing?
Speaker 3: Dude?
Speaker 1: What's going on?
Speaker 3: So there's a lot of going on. Man, I just got a brain, new job, right, cool and fucked up my first day how so, so I decide to say, he fuck it, I'm a smoke on my first date, which was kind of fuck.
Speaker 1: H okay, what do you do? What do you do?
Speaker 3: So? I so? I? So I decided to smoke a bowl before you know? So, what's word?
Speaker 1: What do you What do you do for work?
Speaker 3: Oh? I used to work at Wendy's and now I go as.
Speaker 2: Far as from there.
Speaker 1: So all right, so you decided, So you got a job at Wendy's, and your very first d at Wendy's, you decided to smoke a ball before work? Yeah, yeah, I continue, How did that work out for you?
Speaker 3: So? My boss he knows when people are high. So whenever I got there, all he saw was my eyes fucking bloodshot red, and I was just fucked. I was like, oh shit, I got new from the day I got on there fired.
Speaker 1: Do your eyes usually get bloodshot red when you get high?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So you have to understand, if you're the manager at Wendy's, you have seen your fair share of very high people, and so clearly he would know what you would look like if you were high. And that's where I think you made your your most quintessential mistake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't know.
Speaker 3: What's like, got there that he knew people were high?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean everybody that he at least seventy five percent of the people he interacts with on a daily basis are extremely high. Yeah all right, So uh so he just knew? Did you? Did you deny it at all? Did you just say that, like, I mean, it's allergy season. You had a pretty good excuse there.
Speaker 3: I did say, yeah, I had allergies. He's like, don't fuss the man.
Speaker 1: I'm like shit, so he So it sounds as though you resigned to this fairly quickly, like without a fight, Like you tried the allergy thing and then immediately you're just like, nah, you're right, I'm high.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because he knew I didn't have lergies. Okay, fuck it.
Speaker 1: I have few questions, you know. I'm also I am also guilty of getting high and then immediately being like I should not have gotten high just now. I don't get high before I do this. I've said that a bunch of times. But I will like get high before going to hang out with someone or before going into some kind of setting where I'm like, I don't know, why did I get high before this? Why did what inspired you to get high before going into your first day?
Speaker 3: I just had a real fucking day, like fucking ship was going down.
Speaker 1: Okay, wait what was going down?
Speaker 3: Fucking like my grandpa the other day, just fucking flat out, just to the floor.
Speaker 1: He what happened?
Speaker 2: My grandpa fucking died? O day.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm sorry to hear that, man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I was just like fucking not having this. I'm just lookable, okay, and I'll walk into work and mash it up. So now I'm out of a job that I'm fucking high.
Speaker 1: So are you high right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: All right? I kind of figured that do you get how often do you high?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Thank you?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 1: What who who are you talking to?
Speaker 3: Uh no, I'm just talking to you.
Speaker 1: You said you said thank I asked you, okay, I I you know, I feel like it's just like you didn't answer my question, but you kind of did because I asked you how often do you get high? And you said thank you man, which in a way is an answer to my question.
Speaker 3: So I get high like most of my time, like like three times out the fucking week.
Speaker 1: Okay, what do do you are? You do you feel like you're trying to escape from reality.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's mostly the big thing.
Speaker 1: I feel that I do the same fucking thing. Dude, I get high like every day. I'm trying to stop doing that. Yeah, are you talking to somebody else? You're confusing me right now.
Speaker 3: No, I'm trying to talk to you. But you go ahead first.
Speaker 1: I I I Yeah, I get high all the time to escape reality myself. Uh so I understand how to stand where that impulse comes from. What are you trying to escape about reality?
Speaker 3: Just the fucking stude, because I originally just stopped smoking like nicotine. Yeah, I was like, you know, I'm gonna get off of that like you no, smoke a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mhmm. This is tough. Yeah, I'm gonna do it. So I'm trying to do the exact same thing right now. Uh uh huh m hmm. What does anything? What else leaves? What else relieves your stress besides just pot?
Speaker 2: Basically just motion? You know.
Speaker 3: A lot?
Speaker 1: So yeah, okay, you know what the problem is is. I bet getting high and going fishing is awesome. I have no idea what you just said.
Speaker 3: But.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I think I think to start to start right, I'm not gonna tell you shouldn't get high at the time, because I get high at the time. But you I think the first step would at least be to establish certain situations where you're like, Okay, this is off limits forgetting high.
Speaker 2: This.
Speaker 1: I have done the research I have and and I can say with with strong anecdotal evidence, that going into my job at when they's high is not a good idea. I have the I have done. I have done the research, and I could say with strong anecdotal evidence that's showing up to record this this show and getting high is a bad idea. So I don't do that. That's a that's a boundary that I have set. But and there's other boundaries that I should set, Like I shouldn't fucking need to get high before doing any like going to the grocery store. Right, that's a boundary I should set. I haven't set that boundary yet, but I'm working on it, but I have I at least have a firm boundary in place of I'm not going to get high before I do at least this. Do you have a thing do you have, like, like, is there a thing that you think you could set that boundary for of like Okay, if I get another job, let me least, I'll let me. I'll once the shift is over. I'm stealing a bunch of French fries and getting high as I can and sitting in the parking lot for three hours. Do that, But don't get high while you're on the job. Like, what's what boundaries can you set? You know what I'm saying? Yeah, I feel what's your next move, sir?
Speaker 3: So my next move? This is just like you know, not smoke the words like smoke. So like Wednesday and Saturday. No, okay, Saturday and Sunday, smoke on those two days.
Speaker 2: Okay, give.
Speaker 3: It?
Speaker 1: Try Yeah for sure, good luck. It's hard if you find if you if you have any secrets that you discover on your journey, let me know. I'd love to make use of them myself. All right, A man, all right, man, you take care of your joy. I don't know what are you gonna do after this. I'm curious, Probably gonna go on the truck. I have no idea what you just said, but that sounds fun. You have a good night, man, take care of you too. That guy sounds like he was about to overdose on weed. Gempink goes on the line, taking your phone calls every night them Pink Kip goes through on his ride.
Speaker 3: He's teaching you Cloud.
Speaker 1: And your life.
Speaker 2: Money's not ready, an expert