Speaker 1: Alright, this is Chase ut Lee. This is the Phillies Show. Chase Utley going on the Phillies Wall of Fame on Friday Night. But the Phillies Show, Ruben, tomar Junior, Jim Salisbury, Todd's a lucky We're going to talk open today's show talking about Louis Arise. It is time four hour Monster Moment. Monster Moment is powered by Monster Energy. Louise Arise. Guys, three games, got a hit in every game, got an RBI in every game. And I was just curious. So on Thursday night, I asked Sarah Langs at MLB dot COMICG, when's the last time a Phillies player has done that in his first three games with the Phillies. I don't know if you guys saw my tweet. Jim, you're always on Twitter, did you see it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna look for it right now. You're gonna look for it right now.
Speaker 1: Let's let's Ruben, you can check out. We'll be back in twenty minutes.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Last Phillies player to do that a hit in his first three games in RBI, in his first three games since Mike Benjamin. Wow, Mike Benjamin in nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 3: He was my teammate. He was your teammate. That's right, I played in nineteen ninety six, right.
Speaker 2: That's right. He's Arise is giving him the lead in three straight games, the early lead.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Arizona State Universities, Mike Benjamin. I played against him when I was there in college too.
Speaker 3: There you go, U.
Speaker 2: From the Giants, right, he came from moost Heatings.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, yes, sir, as as did Louise Arise.
Speaker 2: Wow what a segue.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: So what do we think of Louis A Rai's first three games? You know, when we got him, uh or the Phillies got him, we talked about where we thought he would hit in the Phillies lineup, and we all said, I mean leadoff, He's gonna hit leadoff. I mean there's one, two, one or two, and then Don Manley hits him cleanup. What do we think of the new cleanup hitter.
Speaker 2: I'm fine with it. It gives people something to argue about. But you know, Don talking the other day, mentioned what you've mentioned a lot, Todd, is that lineup optimizer. When you run it all throughout a year, it doesn't matter. You just put your nine best players in there, and it's generally going to be you know, within like a half a run over one hundred and sixty two game season. But you know, I think this merit to his thinking. He wants contact behind Harper, he doesn't want strikeouts behind Harper, and this guy's numbers with runners and scoring position are like historic, and what we've seen the first three nights kind of validate that he's come up with men on base. One of the things Don talked about, I mean that first night, that first game, Don said, you know, hoping he comes up with runners on first and second. A few times both first at bats, his runners are first, first and second and he drives in the run. So I'm fine with it. It's worked so far. Maybe he tinkers here and there, but I'm fine with it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I didn't agree with it, but it's working and whatever works, and I think he'll stay with it for a while.
Speaker 3: It looks like Schwarber's.
Speaker 4: Finally sort of getting out of his funk. It's been a while since he's been productive, had a really tough July. I mean since July first, he's been sort of terrible, only has like, you know, maybe six or seven extra base hits, like three home runs. So listen, He's Arises injected some serious energy into that lineup. Man. I talk about him as if he was like Juan Soto without the power. He has the ability to stay in there in his bats.
Speaker 3: He has. He has plate presence. I love the plate presence.
Speaker 4: Listened to Dave Winfield years go talk about how important it is to to show the pitcher how much you dominate in that box. It's your box. He shows people that that's his box. That's you're You're not going to make a pitch on me that is going to get me out, or there's not a pitch that I can You know that that I can't handle, that you can throw. The impressive thing, the most impressive thing that I've seen so far. Since he has been a Philadelphia Philly, he has not swung and missed the baseball, not one time. He's either fouled it all or put it in play every time he swung the bat. Now it's I'm not sure how many swings.
Speaker 1: It is, twenty twenty eight swings. Ruben twenty eight.
Speaker 4: Twenty eight swings, and we had that stat was twenty prior.
Speaker 3: My man Eric Nenneth during the game yesterday, who is a pr guy for us for slugball. I'll plug that later.
Speaker 4: He he pointed it out to me, and that's a pretty astounding number. I don't know what and whether they've tracked it or whether it's a something that's a record, but I can't imagine that anybody would ever have surpassed that, coming from one team to another the first whatever, however many games to uh not swing and miss at a pitch, it's insane.
Speaker 2: That's his game. I mean, he's that way wherever he's been, but certainly it's peak right now.
Speaker 1: He's got the best whiff rate in baseball. He swings and misses only seven point seven percent of the time on all swings. That's best out of two hundred and twenty hitters with five hundred swings this season. So when you see him miss, swing and miss at a pitch, you're shocked. You're shocked.
Speaker 2: But the energy is the energy is huge. I mean, yeah, some of it comes from he he has that effervescent personality, that love of the game and that rubs off on people, but she also comes from offense. And every time he's in that box, like you mentioned, he's a threat to do something to contribute to to scoring a run. So that's that's really good to see. I think this team needed that because there's a lot of punch outs, there's a lot of dead innings, and they needed something like that, something to give them a little jolt of energy, because at times, I thought in July of times they really looked kind of kind of dead at times.
Speaker 3: So got kind of dead dead ass, dead ass.
Speaker 2: The great baseball term dead ass, and he's given them a little pick up.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, but the most important thing about this Jim is his nickname.
Speaker 3: His nickname is the sprinkler.
Speaker 4: And I will tell you that for Yeah, it's actually Greg if you take it literally, is the the can the watering can. Okay, Now that's what Jim uses when he is gardening. So guys, you guys are almost like kismet. You guys are for them to get him. I mean they did it for you, Jim.
Speaker 3: They brought them. They brought the can to you.
Speaker 2: I used the hose and I get the whole thing. Sprinkles.
Speaker 3: I got that.
Speaker 1: You guys have You guys have a lot in common you and Luisa rise in that sense.
Speaker 3: Yes, you never missed Jim. You never miss well Jim.
Speaker 1: You mentioned his swag and his energy and you know NB I think it was NBC Philly put out on social media. Like just the stuff that Arise does in between pitches, after a pitch, he smells his bad he jumps up and down, he kind of does he does all sorts of different moves. I mean, he's great to watch. He's a guy you just kind of want to watch. Should see what he does. If he misses, you know, if he follows off a pitch he thinks he should hit, he reacts to it. If it's a pitch on you know that that a good pitch that he took, and he's happy body. He kind of shows it, you know. So there's he's he's he's enjoyable to watch. And you mentioned his runners with scoring position numbers. In his career, Luis arrives as a three eighteen hitter. This is entering Last Night runners on bass. He's a career three point fifty hitter. Runners in scoring position, he's a career three point fifty four hitter.
Speaker 2: So this is.
Speaker 1: Somebody that does damage when the runners. He doesn't get in the tight, rubin in the tight tighten up. Yeah, he does not tighten up in the tight He relaxes and.
Speaker 4: Does well one of the things one of the things that he sort of switches it, I mean, and I think this is what the great hitters do in tight situations.
Speaker 3: The reality of it is, the pressure's on the picture.
Speaker 4: To make the pitch when there's guys on base, and sometimes hitters don't realize that it's them that have the pressure, and he flips it. A lot of the times of hitters believe that they have they are under pressure to come through. The reality of it is he makes it feel to the picture that you have to make a pitch to get me out and to get through this inning, and it's going to be tougher on you than it is on me.
Speaker 3: And I love that sort.
Speaker 4: Of mentality, and it's something that you hope becomes infectious to the rest of the lineup, no doubt.
Speaker 2: I love that. In his introductory little news conference there and somebody mentioned to him that Don Maddingly compared you to Tony gwyn and he jumped in and said, yeah, I was with Rock Caru in Rod Caru in Minnesota, probably a spring training instructor or something. But he knows Rod Karu and man, he was the ultimate bat the ball guy probably Ty Cobb was, but carew from my youth man. He just would let that ball get deep and flick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's all Patamanian jew rodkru Adam Sandler wrote about it in a Song's right. That's right, all right, guys, That right there, that's a monster moment brought to you by Monster Energy. Unleash the beast. Fuel your game day. Grab a Monster Energy drink at your local retailer today Today, Phillies fans, you already know this team trusts the best, and when it comes to orthopedic care, that means Rothman Orthopedics. Rothman was named the number one physician practice nationally by Castle Connelly for having the most top doctors in orthopedic care. That's the level of expertise keeping your Phillies in top form all season long, and whether you're dealing with a weekend injury or something that's been nagging you for months. Rothman makes it easy to get seen fast. Use the Rothman Fast Scheduler to get access to their VIP scheduling team or connect with the specialist right from home through Rothman Now Rothman Orthopedics, the official orthopedic partner of the Philadelphia Phillies and the team behind every strong inning, every diving catch, and every comeback. Visit Rothmanortho dot com backslash the Phillies show for Elite Care today.
Speaker 4: Hey, just real quick about the the VIP scheduler. So I had a I've had a neck problem. It's been bothering me and I actually went from Miami to Baltimore and then they scheduled me so quickly that on the off day, I took a train up, got went to a Rothman, one of the Rothman in the hospitals, got my MRI done in Ben Salami, believe it or not, got it done. They read it the whole nine yards and by the time I was on the train back down to Baltimore, they they had already had read my MRI and a radiologist had already sent a report onto my my chart. I mean, you talk about efficiency, bro, it's it was unbelievable. And uh, they took care of it. Rothman Institute Studs.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: I love to hear that that's great, that's great, and your neck is feeling better.
Speaker 3: It is a little bit better.
Speaker 2: They gave me a little.
Speaker 4: You know, it's uh not hopefully not a long term thing, but we'll do all right.
Speaker 3: I'm playing golf, so that's okay.
Speaker 1: All right, that's all I want to know. Are you playing golf? For playing golf, that means you're you're all right, You're gonna be okay.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So we asked, we asked all of you that watching and listen to the show for your for your phillies questions coming out of trade deadline. We got a bunch and let's just jump right into it. And this is a question on Instagram mca mic on Instagram? Is the lineup giving you flow or no flow? Jim Rubin you you care to get into it?
Speaker 2: Well, lately flow the addition of of arise. They're on a nice little uptick here since Baltimore rarely, but there are other times when there's no flow. When it's EBB. They are a inconsistent lineup. Some nights day EBB, some nights they flow. You prefer when they flow, and I think is going to help them. But I still think there's gonna be nights when they throw up the old gooseag or the one. But maybe cut into those nights and maybe help limit those nights.
Speaker 4: Medium to high flow for me and I And the reason why I say that is just for what Jim said.
Speaker 3: I'm interested to see how they handle.
Speaker 4: A really good starting pitching because they've they've struggled with that. With this new lineup, what are they gonna see when they face some guys. They're gonna face some guys in Toronto that might be a little bit better than what they faced in against the Nationals.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: One of the things that's really important, and I think it's huge for this team, is the guys like Stott are getting hot.
Speaker 3: That's huge for this team. For the back part of this lineup.
Speaker 4: A guy like Crawford maybe benefiting from having a rise around. He's hitting a bound two sixty two sixty five. That's not bad for a rookie. He's not driving the ball, but he's putting the ball in play and doing Crawford things. He's getting bait, he's getting you know, getting some bunts down. He's moving runners, he's driving a run in when he has to do it. He's stealing a bag. He had a little bit of a base running blunder yesterday, but that's a sort of a rookie thing, so you like to see.
Speaker 3: The bottom of the lineup doing some things. Stott's been hot.
Speaker 4: That's huge for them, and I think finally I'll get a lot more flow, probably within the next two days, because I think what's gonna happen here shortly is that Schoreber's gonna get hot. And when Shoreberg gets hot, then the flow will be heavy because he is a difference maker in the lineup. When he is on, the team is on. When he goes, they go. And I think that's what Don manningly has him at the top of the lineup for. Maybe he sees more fastballs or what have you. He hasn't and he's still striking out some, but at least he got off the schneid last night, got a couple of hits and an RBI. Hopefully that starts getting them going.
Speaker 2: You mentioned the starting pitching their face and real quick Todd, I was not at the game last night. I was watching on TV and when I put it on and I watched Miles Michael's throw, I honestly said this to myself. I'm like, why is Garrett Stubbs pitching for the Washington Nationals from the center field camera. His release looks like a Stubbs, the tall Garrett Stubbs, and his stuff is right there with Garrett as well.
Speaker 3: That's not nice. That's that nice.
Speaker 2: James I wasn't nice, but he.
Speaker 4: He didn't have stuff.
Speaker 3: His stuff is not there. It's obvious. He's got a six c r A.
Speaker 4: There's a reason why he doesn't have the punch in his stuff overall to be able to get hitters out. And he had a lot of success in Saint Louis using the top of the zone with the new swing pats. He was having a lot of success throwing breaking balls up and fastballs up and and and mixing up pitches. But he doesn't have the same stuff and he's getting knocked around quite a bit. Philly's with what eight doubles yesterday from seven hitters, and uh, you know, a lot of guys getting doing damage. Almost everybody had a multiple hit game.
Speaker 2: It was fight at the batrock.
Speaker 4: It was yeah, eleven eleven hard hit balls. Eleven hard hit balls and what five or six innings? That's a lot and uh, and listen, the real test is when when they start facing some guys here in Toronto.
Speaker 1: He has mentioned Bryce and Stott last thirty eight games Bryce and stopped batting three eleven eight seventy six ops. Bryce Harper since he said he'd move to the outfield and said he's not playing well and he needs to do his job better. Betting two ninety four eleven ops. Some other guy. Yeah, you mentioned Justin Crawford his last eleven games betting three forty four. Trey Turner eighteen games, betting three thirty three.
Speaker 2: JT.
Speaker 1: Real muto is last thirty eight games, betting two sixty two with a seven eighty seven ops. If j that was JT's season average, you would.
Speaker 3: Be eg static.
Speaker 1: Attic with JT. So you see some you see some signs, but they are still prone to the.
Speaker 5: Better late than never, though, better to do it in August and September and maybe October than to not do it at all and then and to be the reverse, right if you get out hot. That's why Brent Brandon Marshall's like, hey, what's going on with Brandon marsh I mean, listen, you hope that he turns it around. He's started to swing the bat a little bit better lately, but he went through a lull there that was pretty disastrous. He went from being phenomenal to sort of disastrous. Hopefully bounces back.
Speaker 1: Here's another question from Brett Miller fourteen on Instagram. Do you think Harps moved to the outfield will have a negative effect on his offensive output? Well, I can tell you that I asked him about that last week and he said, I think it actually could be good for me running around out there. It's kind of just you know, doing my thing, getting away from Bobby Dickerson. He was joking, he was joking.
Speaker 2: He was joking.
Speaker 1: I think he was joking.
Speaker 3: But Moby Bobby holds him accountable. Man, you also die.
Speaker 1: But Bryce is not going to move out. If Bryce thought if I go to the outfield, I'm going to die out there and I'm not going to be able to hit, then he would not be out there saying I'll move out to the outfield. So I have zero concern about him moving to the outfield and it affecting his offense at all. He's not an idiot. Bryce is not an idiot.
Speaker 3: No, there's a purpose behind everything he does.
Speaker 1: Right, If he thought he couldn't hit if he moved to the outfield, he ain't moving to the outfield, all right. This is uh one.
Speaker 3: Second, am I am I mistaken? Or am I correct? That he has two MVPs as an outfielder?
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 1: Correct?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: This is let me find this. So when this is from Tom g eighteen on Blue Sky, do you think a Rise could potentially be a hitting mentor to Bryson Stott. While Bryson is improving as the season progresses, I would like to see him be more like Louise on a consistent basis and less swinging for the fences. I mean, who wouldn't like Bryson Stott to turn into Louis to Rise. I've been saying it last two preseasons. My bold prediction is Bryson Stott makes the All Star team. I think even this year I said he finished. My bold prediction was Bryson Stott finished his top five for the n L batting title. So hey, get sign me up. If for Alisa Rights can rub off on Bryson Stott a little bit, why you.
Speaker 2: Never know the conversations that happened in a batting cage and the tidbit that is absorbed by the listener. So I think can rub off just by watching them. But I also think they can have conversations and pick each other's brains, and sure teammates help each other all the time. Look at Doc did for Cole Hammils and and you know Chase did for a bunch of guys. So yes, absolutely you could.
Speaker 4: I totally agree with that. And let me just say something else. Another caveat with regard to Stott. You know, I was concerned and he's going from second to third base totally different, and we haven't seen him play there a lot, but what I've seen so far is pretty damned impressive. He looks like he has not missed a beat. He's worked out before, he's played some there before professionally, not a lot, but just watching his actions and what he is not scared, he is His throws are impeccable, he is his footwork's really good. He's still getting used to the quick actions. It's a little bit different reaction time. But I am really impressed by the way he's handled third base so far. Made a really nice catch and.
Speaker 3: All pop up. He's a baseball players and athlete. We talked about it.
Speaker 4: We thought he'd make the adjustment okay, but there is some concern about like a slow roller or there's certain play that he has to throw this guy out at home or whatever the case may be a bare hand play, but so far his actions overall have been really good.
Speaker 3: Man. I've been impressed by the way Scott has handled the transition.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's done a great job. If you watching us on YouTube, hit that subscribe button scan the QR code on your screen. We appreciate the sport for the show, and obviously you can also go to the Philly Shop Phillies Show Shop dot com and pick up your Philly Show merchandise. Thank you for your support for the show. Here's the question from somebody who I guess.
Speaker 3: Was not.
Speaker 1: Enamored with all of the Phillies trade deadline moves or he just wants the Phillies to be a little bit better. And that's from John Barton. I think this is on Facebook. Is Dave Dombrowski's job on the line based off I guess I assume how this team finishes this season. You think Dave Dombrowski's on the Hot Seaters job is on the line based off how this team does this year.
Speaker 2: I do not get that feeling. He's signed through twenty seven. Expect to see him fulfill the remainder of that contract, and honestly, if he wants to keep going, I think he'll get an extension because John Middleton has enormous trust in the man, and I don't think his job is on the line. You know, he's come here, that these teams have gotten to the postseason, they've been knocked out out because of poor play on the field by the players. I mean, some of that poor play is by you know, because maybe some of the holes that he hasn't filled. But I don't think his job is on the line here as the season goes on.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: Only the only way that I think his job is on the line is that if maybe Middleton asks him to retire if they do not get into the playoffs and it's because they didn't bolster up the bullpen as they should have, or they could not somebody goes down in the rotation and they cannot you know, they could not find a fifth start or fourth start, whatever.
Speaker 3: I think that's the only possible way.
Speaker 4: I don't see it happening necessarily, because, as you said, John Middleton has a great deal of respect and admiration for Dave Lebowski.
Speaker 3: Thinks he's a Hall of Famer which he is.
Speaker 4: And I mean a lot of it is depends on whether listen, the players make you smart and then players make you dumb. As a GM nobody knows that better than me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if if look, if they totally crater missed the playoffs and the general public goes crazy, they might have to react. I mean, we've seen that. We've seen that. That's the reason ed Wade got fired. They were moving in the right direction. It didn't happen fast enough. The new stadium opened the second year, the attendance dropped by six hundred thousand. Fans were going nuts. They made a move, that's the truth. That's why they made that move. So public perception reaction means something. If they creater, they fall out of it, they might have to adjust something and make a move. But I think they get into the postseason and I think he's I think he's back, so we'll see agreed.
Speaker 1: Call me the bad guy.
Speaker 2: Think this again?
Speaker 1: This is my I don't know if this is on Facebook. What's the long term vision for this team? Bryce moved to right field for the rest of the season. Bryce in the third who's the right field next and right fielder next year? Is that marsh or an outside free agent. Is Tree more likely in the outfield or at second or third base? So yeah, a lot of movie pieces here in this. In this question, well, Bryce is said, Bryce is going back to first base last next season. Let's put that out there. Bryce is moving back to first base next season. We know this, So I guess they will need to figure out who's going to play right field.
Speaker 2: I do not. I can see Trey at any one of those positions that he mentioned, third, second, outfield. It's gonna be a conversation they have this winter. He hasn't played in the outfield in ten years. He only played like fifty games there as a pro. He's going to need a full spring training and then maybe some January on your own kind of workouts to get ready for that move to the outfield if it indeed does happen. But I you know, I don't Stock could play anywhere anywhere of three positions in the infield.
Speaker 4: So my bold prediction is that they try to re sign a Rise, which is an important piece. So he's playing second base because he's not going off a second. If not good Come is not moving back out to the outfield, then he's playing first base. I can see a situation where a guy like Bryson Stott can either play short or third base. Next year, they either sign a shortstop or a third baseman or acquire one. They talked about Netto a couple of times in Anaheim.
Speaker 3: That's a possibility. Movest out the third. Then you have a.
Speaker 4: Situation where I think Turner will go to center. I think Marshall go to Wright, and then you'll have Justin Crawford play left field. That scenario seems like something that for me will maximize their defense and maximize what they can do offensively.
Speaker 3: Just a thought, but that's that's where I'm at on And I mean I.
Speaker 4: Thought about this a lot because I really think a lot of it depends on how well you know, how well Turner plays at the end of the year. He's played really well at shortstop lately. I mean, he's gotten back into a good rhythm at shut and so if he finishes off the year playing, you know, good, doing a oneint eighty and playing the way that he played last year at shortstop towards the end of the year, then it's a more difficult conversation. You sure you sort of hope that he does that because they've got a better chance to win that way. But I still think that maybe the best scenario is to have him play center field, have Justin Crawford and left, have have Martian right, and then configure the infield with Harper, a rise Netto or someone like that at short or maybe Stott, and then a third basement that you either acquire or hope that a guy like Aiden Miller can step forward.
Speaker 2: You're right about Turner. It does look a lot more confidence just these last three nights. He made a couple of plays on Tuesday night. The first ball was a rocket right at him and he backhanded it, and I don't know why he backhanded it, but he made the play. And then he makes three other really good plays in the bag, one coming across the bag, and I noticed the confidence in the way he threw the ball, and throwing has not been his big problem. But he threw through the ball, He threw through the first basement, he let it rip, and he just looked like, for some reason, some confidence is starting to come in there. So it's been very necessary and good to see.
Speaker 4: What's the odd thing about him is that his comfort catch is the backhand. His hand turned over. That's his comfort catch. He even catches balls right at him that way. I've never seen a shortstop do this, but that's his comfort catch. He feels much more comfortable catching the baseball that way than this way with the palm up, which is odd, but listen, as long as it gets the job done. Used to talk to my dad about Ryan Samberg all the time. Ryan Samberg wasn't a funnel the ball into or into your body type guy.
Speaker 3: He was a hands pusher.
Speaker 4: He pushed the ball, pushed his hands out the jabber, and he did it better than anybody on the planet.
Speaker 3: So listen, it's like hitting. If you just get the job done properly, it doesn't matter how it happens.
Speaker 2: In this Netto stuff you mentioned, Ruben, there was this little dalliance with Netto at the trade deadline. I think that was purely information gathering for the winter. That's what smart teams do, just to kind of get a feel lay of the land, what it might take if he's available in the winter. And so I would not cross that name off on my list going forward.
Speaker 4: Jim Dalliance, fine use of the word find, fine vocabulary.
Speaker 2: Whatever whatever truculent is Howard, I it, Howard, I Ruben?
Speaker 1: What is uh going on?
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, I have a read to do.
Speaker 2: Don't tie?
Speaker 3: Yes you too, I got it?
Speaker 2: You know what's going on.
Speaker 4: At Parks My favorite casino, the Birds Trading camp is underway and it's a perfect time to make your future bets on the upcoming pro football season. The bet Parks online casino on sportsbook has you covered for future bets on Pro football.
Speaker 3: And who will win it all this year?
Speaker 4: Los Angeles, Baltimore, and Buffalo are the top three favorites. Kind of surprise, the egos aren't in there, but hey, at twenty five dollars bet on Los Angeles, we'll pay you a bucks sixty two to fifty, A twenty five dollars event on Baltimore two seventy five, A twenty five dollars bet on Buffalo pays two fifty, and a twenty five dollars bet on the Birds right now will make it for twenty five live betting on all your favorite sports and better is better on the bet Parks app. Come join me and make your downtime fun time all summer long with the bet Parks app plus bet Barks brings you to the casino, to you the on the beach, on the boat, on the lake, by the pool, or right there in your garden, gym, or on your car couch. The casino is right at your fingertips. Bet Parks is the only online casino and sportsbook app that I ever recommend. Right now, Betparks is a great offer for new users. New users can get up to five hundred dollars bonus back plus two hundred and fifty bonus spins on the hot online slot plan Samara Rich's Collect the Max, play real casino games for real money, and bet on the sports right on your phone. The bet Park's online casino on sportsbook app where there's always another way to win. You must be twenty one in Pennsylvania, Jersey, Maryland or Michigan. Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 3: All right, we're back.
Speaker 1: We got a few more questions for you. I'm gonna throw this one up at you, guys. This is from Schnecksville, Schneck's Snakesville. There we go, feels like we need feels like we need starting Pitcher insurance. Now what Well, that was the thing coming out of the trade deadline, of course, and she is referring to Andrew Painter's tight hammy from Wednesday night. Sounds like he's gonna be okay. And Don Magley said he is going to make his next schedule start and thank goodness because they don't have much behind him. And that was again the thing coming out of the trade dead. Everybody thought they would might go out and get a number five started.
Speaker 3: They did not.
Speaker 1: So if something they tried, they tried, they tried.
Speaker 2: I mean I heard somebody say the other day they made a decision not to get starting pitching decision. Wrong word failed is the right word. They didn't get something done. They didn't get something done. They tried. It's a concern. We've been a little upbeat here talking about the offense and arise. It gives you some hope and it's exciting, but they better hope these top five, these five starting pitchers stay healthy and the top three especially and effective. It's a major concern. The lack of depth in that starting rotation and the bullpen remains a major concern. So there are oh yeah, not everything is sunshine and rainbows. Because the offense is starting to click a little bit, there's major concerns on the bump in the middle of the diamond.
Speaker 4: And might I say he tweaked that hammy. He did it on a pitch, he gotta tweaked it on the mound. And then later on that inn, and he makes a athletic play that six foot seven twenty two year olds or twenty three year olds don't make.
Speaker 3: He jumped off the mound.
Speaker 4: On the ball, a slow roller to his left down the first base line, and he crossed over and made a nice throw to I guess it was a bomber at the time. I think it was Boemer. It was a heck of a play, and I think he probably aggravated on that play because it was this really athletic play. But that was the one play that reminded me how good of an athlete this kid is and why I have so many high hopes for him, because I always believe in athletes on the mound that if you're an athletic player, that you can have a lot of success. Best athletes on the mound, Tom Glavin, Maddox, Smoltz, these guys are great athletes. There's not just that. There's a reason why they're great. They were Hall of Fame pitchers and it's because of their overall athleticism. And I'd like to see this. I'm not comparing necessarily to those guys, but his athleticism certainly is outstanding.
Speaker 1: You played high school basketball down in Florida. You know he uh he goes to Cressy. He punts like sixty yards seven yard punts. He's a he is a tremendousous, tremendous athlete. So but yeah, the starting pitching depth big concern because he goes down and it's like Brian he goes down, or anybody goes down, it's Brian Keller. And then after that, I guess it's Alan run Hell. Although Dave Dave Dombrowski says people are calling on Alan run Hell, I don't know what that means. You know, no one's He's not feature. He's not a feature point of deal exactly.
Speaker 3: Because he's got options. Because he's got options, he's an option, but six or seven starter. That's why he has value.
Speaker 2: I believe people have asked about Alan, well, you need it, you need eight, nine and ten of them, right, correct.
Speaker 1: I guess the point is is that like you need you need starting pitching. It's not because he's a world Beater. If he was a world.
Speaker 3: You would have been traded.
Speaker 1: He would he would have been traded, or the Phillies would not be winless in that number five starter spot since May eighteenth, which is still where they are because they lost Painters last two, last two starts.
Speaker 2: I should have wanted to start in Baltimore.
Speaker 1: Correct, correct, Okay, a couple more here, let's see. This is from be Bezi Lama who goes to the bullpen in October. Do you have any thoughts on that?
Speaker 2: Nobody?
Speaker 1: I mean maybe nobody does.
Speaker 2: I see I see Nola as being like an opener, like go out and give.
Speaker 1: Me three, you know, Okay, all right?
Speaker 4: And I see I see Lozardo if he's not in the rotation, if he's not scheduled being in the rotation, that would.
Speaker 3: Be the big arm out of the pen for me.
Speaker 4: I would not put Painter in the pen unless I needed length, an extra guy for some length that he might do that. But as far as having a guy that would be closer to the seventh or eighth inning, someone you a trust guy that would be Lizardo for me.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Here's from Scott Moore with all the bullpen trouble we have. Is there any chance Gage would could be called up as we get closer to the postseason?
Speaker 2: What do you think about that?
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: I think there's always a chance, but I don't know if it's likely. But if he can throw a breaking ball for a strike, so guys are just not sitting on that heater, I wouldn't put him anything past Dombroski. If this kid continues to pitch well or pitches well because there is a level of desperation, Dembroski has done it before, He's got a big arm. It would be a short spurt for me. But you know, I don't know if you could handle it composure wise. It's a big jump from retting to a Pennant race. There's a lot of pressure on a kid. So I would just say it's a possibility.
Speaker 3: You never know, Yeah the question.
Speaker 4: And as you can only bring two guys to the big leagues in September, I'm not sure if he's going to be coming prior to that. But Davidbrowski's not afraid to bring young players in there if they think that they can help. He doesn't, He'll bring anybody. He'll bring this kitchen sink if he believe that they can help him in the playoffs, and so I gotta believe they'll bring an extra catcher that Marshaan at some point will be prepared to go by September. So that's one. And then the question is is there going to be another position player? I don't think it would be. I think it'd be a pitcher. And who is that guy? It could be a guy like gage Wood, and they could bring somebody else and then flip him out. Kind of depends that there's some flexibility there because there's some optionable guys.
Speaker 1: All right, let's uh a couple more here. This is from j our Finger on Instagram. Is there ever a time when Jim Stansbury slips back into his New England accent? Jim, I never really hear you slip into it that much.
Speaker 2: I pretty much purged it, you know, like if I'm up there for a few days and maybe having a a survey or two, it might come out of a weave then.
Speaker 3: But Jim, can I hear something do you have? Can you can you throw a little New England on us?
Speaker 2: I really I don't know if I can do that. It's hard to do, you know, you can't replicate like like Todd can.
Speaker 3: Todd has the ability to replicate it all different time. So what does he sound like? Todd?
Speaker 1: I am I covered the paw tech at Red Sox for years.
Speaker 2: How you talk, Jim, No, it's not how I damn on.
Speaker 1: Providence, get myself. Advice plice is.
Speaker 2: Get a nice grind, nice grind from clam cakes and shiada.
Speaker 3: There we go, There we go, there we go.
Speaker 2: A couple more. You never probably had a clam cake.
Speaker 1: Never had a clam cake?
Speaker 2: Here's the way.
Speaker 1: Here's one from an obsessive Philly Show fan in Middletown, Delaware, Fellas, what's a girl got to do to get a smell Smellulator T shirt? Come on in marketing gold.
Speaker 2: You know you're right? Maybe we ought to be selling and you know my idea. Don't say it, Todd. You know my idea. We're going to be millionaires if I can do that T shirt? Which shirt is that I can't? I'm not gonna say it. On here there we'll tell you are five listeners.
Speaker 3: All right here we we have more than five listeners.
Speaker 1: Two more questions, and of course they got to be garden related. So I got to play the bumper. All right, question here here we go, Oh, a few ture gardening questions. Does does Jim ever make any trades in the garden? That is from Sean Sipfel, Do you ever make any trades in the garden with neighbors or anything like that?
Speaker 2: Or I kind of just give him away. But Mark Donardo, who runs the scoreboard room for the Phillies, he gave me a tomato plant, cherry tomato plant from Asia. I think it's from China. And it's a monster. It's really going crazy, all these tentacles everywhere and a very small, very sweet cherry tomato. So yeah, gardeners are always looking out for each other. It's like hitters in the batting kids. You always share an ideas what works for you, what works for me. I had to a couple of years ago. I dfad the egg plant because there was a bug that was just turning the eggplant leaves into mesh. So I dfa the egg plant, and I also fai the spaghetti squash. Takes up a lot of room and the flavor is just not there for me. It's a place bland product. And what I did is I doubled up on the butternut squash. So I like to go into the winter with like a dozen of them, and I roast those all all winter. I've got some beauties out there now that are coming along, so I do trade off things.
Speaker 3: I just want to say one thing.
Speaker 4: I don't want to diss Mark DeNardo, because he's more than just the guy who runs the board. He is thet of broadcasting and video services.
Speaker 3: So the possible he demoted him marked.
Speaker 4: Marke DeNardo is one of my is one of my bosses, of course, but he's actually a phenomenal human being and a employee.
Speaker 3: So I don't want to diss him, no distric love.
Speaker 4: I want to make sure people know who he is because the man, you know, he's the man.
Speaker 2: And you want to make sure you give a little suck up. Correct your boss, good now, Marcus one of the Marcus, one of the one of the great people. We had Mark on the.
Speaker 1: Show last year. We had Mark on the show last year.
Speaker 2: To talk about Juan Duran.
Speaker 1: Entrance and all that, the whole process.
Speaker 2: So that's right. And I also have some I have some gorgeous cutting flowers out there right now. Cosmos Zinnia is just some what else sunflowers. I have a thing called Mexican sunflower that is orange and absolutely beautiful. So you know, I got it all out there.
Speaker 3: Can you put together? Can you put your the other little bouquet so I can bring it.
Speaker 6: To LORI please, I mean I need to do that. Sometimes we need a little suck up. So can you hook hook a brother up? I can do that during the alumni we can all right.
Speaker 1: This is the last.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to see you out there, Reuben.
Speaker 3: Oh, I can't wait.
Speaker 2: Don't do me favorite. Don't walk like a duck. I always walk like a.
Speaker 3: Last.
Speaker 2: This is the last one.
Speaker 1: This is from Nick cal four on Instagram. Why aren't my tomatoes turning red?
Speaker 2: You know why? You know why?
Speaker 3: Mark?
Speaker 2: Because I got all the red ones.
Speaker 3: Look at that.
Speaker 2: That's a nice zucchini. Check out this hall yesterday dropped my nice hall of green beans. I got it all. So on another show, I think I previously told you about the technique of spanking your tomatoes and how important it is. On a future show, I'll tell you how to get your tomatoes to turn red and get those little green ones towards the end of the season to start ripening with a technique called root pruning. But we won't go there today.
Speaker 1: That says Jim was saying round, give them time, give them time, guaranteed. Give that's that's what if Jim Head is a New England accidents.
Speaker 3: Here, that's a teaser.
Speaker 2: That's it. You gotta give them time. It's like it's like a player in the minor leagues. You know you can't rush you, You got to give them time.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: Patient, Well, that was a lot of fun your questions.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, that talks absolutely.
Speaker 4: It's just so on Saturday, that's tomorrow, from eleven to one, we will have slug ball at Michael Field in University of Pennsylvania.
Speaker 3: It's a time of time on sort of.
Speaker 4: Field at Michaelfield, uh or Michael michael Field, Michael john Field at University of Pennsylvania. And we have a bunch of guys there. Mike Lieberthal is going to join us. Uh. We're gonna have Cole Hamils, myself, Kevin Stocker, Mickey Morandini, many many guys. Joe Blanton is gonna show up and swing the bat. We're gonna have a slug ball competition, be three teams. It will be awfully fun. If you haven't gott in your tickets yet, please get them at playslugball dot com. Let's play slug Ball s l U G G B A l L dot com. I wanted to throw that plug in there. It'll be a really fun time. We've got some alums. We got Leslie Gaddell and Chris Wheeler doing sort of the MCing and announcing the game. We have Charlie Manuel and Larry Boa as legendary managers for each one of those teams, and it'll be an awful lot of fun.
Speaker 3: So come join us.
Speaker 2: Now, Mickey. I saw Mickey at Planet Fitness yesterday. He is gearing up and ready to win.
Speaker 3: I love that he's got the ability.
Speaker 4: This is perfect for those who've been watching Luisa Ries handle the bat. It's about being able to handle the bat and hit the ball in certain areas of the field, and the team that can.
Speaker 3: Do with the best will be the grand prize winner. Don't know what the brand prize is yet. That's a surprise.
Speaker 2: That'll be nice. Nice alumni weekend. Looking forward to hearing Chase suddenly speak tonight. Drop. I don't I think he's matured, but Jimmy Rollins with a fabulous speech. Oh yeah, all off the top of his head last year when he went on the Wall of Fame, and and tonight, it'll be cool to see Chase go on the Wall Fame.
Speaker 4: And he challenged that twenty twenty five team. You want to stop hearing about the twenty eighteen win your own damn championship is basically what he said.
Speaker 2: I don't think Chase will do that, but he'll definitely support the twenty sixteen Yeah, of course he.
Speaker 3: And the fans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they say the right thing.
Speaker 1: I'm looking forward to that speech. Yeah, I say under on the bomb under on the one F bomb under. Yeah, I say under.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say the under also.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, that was fun. Philly Show will be back next week.
Speaker 2: Alrighty Smarry Lady boys, smell you, Jimmy.
Speaker 3: If you made it this far, you'll love this next video.
Speaker 4: Check it out right here and make sure you subscribe to The Philly Show for more Phillies coverage like this, multiple times a week.