Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Recent Choice Media. Welcome Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome Home. Everybody this is They are Tiffany Cross and Angela Riot. I'm Andrew Killham. You're tuned into this week's mini pod and I wanted to talk about We didn't get to talk about it in the general show, but my experience right now in Florida and as a graduate of fam you really bought this to the top of the radar for me, and I know that it's a story similar to many other HPCs around the country, and that is FAMU right now is in this in the hunt for a new permanent president. That process has been opened for a while, received candidate applications for it, and they've been shortlisted, and there's been lots said about the behind the scenes process that has been undertaken by maybe certain members of the Board of Trustees to produce a certain outcome. In Florida, all conversations about votes about presidential searches, they're in public, they're public records, the deliberations they're supposed to be done publicly, and so we always find it strange when you start hearing rumors of hey, that person's already had eight votes, or you know, the other candidates they're in there, but there's not a chance because we've already picked the one. And it seems that there may be some of that Shenanigan playing in this case, and I wanted to broaden it out. Yes, we can talk specifically about fam you, I know, I'm happy to. But the truth is is, nationally we have seen under Republican governors across the country in many states, if not if they hadn't already had processes where boards of trustees or governing boards of an institution are appointed by the governor, sometimes boards of education and and and and whatnot. But the end result is that it leads to a greater politicization of the education system, where you basically get the friends of the governor or friends of people in power who end up getting named whether or not these people are graduates of an institution, whether they have previously been supporters of said institution, whether they believe HBCUs should exist at all, And in some cases, just as we have Betsy Davos at the Department of Education in Washington, d C.
Speaker 2: Someone who does not believe in the She's not there anymore, but we had her there.
Speaker 1: The point being, the point I'm trying to make, and I appreciate the correction, is that the politicization you put people, you're putting foxes over henhouses.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the man is there now and she literally is there to abolish the body Slimmit.
Speaker 1: You are absolutely right. I used the Betsy example because she's a big, big funder of charters, right, her family, her philanthropic giving, all the things that she funds in her and her family were toward charter schools and basically taking public money and putting it into private institutions. Right. But they're putting these positions over the same institutions they're supposed to be shepherding, making sure are well resourced. They're they're really in there to do a hatchet job. And as Tiffany just pointed out, the current Secretary of McMahon is it McMahon, Linda McMahon.
Speaker 2: Linda McMahon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is similarly in the position to destroy the Department of Education, to phase it out as a department, even though we know Congress would would have to be required in order for that to be accomplished. They're bringing well it used to be. That's true when they have I don't know what the rules.
Speaker 2: Are anymore, and nobody Andrew. She was somewhere, I forget that.
Speaker 3: You all probably saw this clip, and she was somewhere talking about a one education and a one education is going to be taught in schools, and she supports a one education. Do you know what this dizzy, half witted idiot was trying to say AI? He was trying to say AI and was and said A one numerous times. This is the person they put in charge of the Department of Education. This is not a serious administration at all.
Speaker 1: Syfany I was about to say she got set up by a stafford, but just have.
Speaker 2: To read this an idiot. She's not well versed, she's not cultured.
Speaker 1: She's not the point that we need a good education system.
Speaker 3: You almost got to go out your way to not know what AI means, like you almost have to, like I refuse to read a paper ever to not know about the intersection of AI and education.
Speaker 1: Right now, but perusing your speech, you asked somebody what is a one right?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: If you are confused, you asked, But even if you like, if that's something you're used to seeing which is written about all the time, like you would see that and immediately know it's not calling the DJ does, like you know that there was between the made up department and the actual Department of Justice. But before you get too deep an education, can you just explain to me, like you're talking to a five year old, what is the deal at am you're.
Speaker 1: Trying to hire a president?
Speaker 2: Okay, and that church the governor appoints.
Speaker 1: No, the butter the governor appoints a board of trustees. So if you if you're familiar with and by the way, this may not exist everywhere for everybody. Florida a long time ago used to have one one board that governed all of our state universities. Jeff Bush, when he came in, got rid of that one board who acted in the interests per se of all of the state's higher education institutions public institutions, and he replaced them with individual boards of trustees at each college campus. So privates have always largely existed this way. Each private school has a board of trustees or of governance, but some one who sits above the president to the so that the president would be accountable to them. That politicization with these appointments coming largely from political individuals, have created the circumstance where in many instances the boards are not acting in the interest of that campus, but are doing the bidding of their appointers. So if their appointer is Ron de Santis and Rondo Santis has decided that DEI is to be dead in the state of Florida, and that any institution who continues a policy where they value diversity, equity and inclusion they can be if he has the power to remove them or not appoint them, reappoint them again. It becomes a cudgel over their heads where you either do my bidding or you don't do bidding at all. You come off the board. You understand what I mean by But how would you.
Speaker 2: Even kill DEI.
Speaker 3: At an HBCUs just say again Project twenty twenty five, they actually are like that is not one of their targets. They actually are okay with hbcs because they're like, yes, send black people there. But the funding part, that part is something that we have to question. The executive order that Donald Trump, which we have to remind people, is not a law. Executive orders are not laws, and so I'm still confused on how you actually execute that, but it didn't say any It was a bunch of nothing to me in that, you know, I didn't really understand it. So I'm curious because I think FAM you can be the poster child on how worried and concerned we should be. For HBC's I'm curious how this might go, like who are the Is he looking to put a Republican as president? Is he influencing the board of trustees?
Speaker 1: So again, all of these this is the stuff that is happening behind the scenes. So I'm hesitant to say who is doing what, and more interested in the fact that the process is being disrupted that we can no longer trust that the people who become finalists for these jobs uh to lead these institutions are finalists because there's a ringer in there. There were their finalists, because there's somebody who is percolating to the top. In fam use case, the candidate who is seen to be the one to be the one who has come out appearing to have the support of at least all the known Republicans that I know who are on the board and who are doing their level best to cozy up to the administration. Are supporting this one candidate. This one candidate happens to have never ever worked in higher education as an employee, never been an administrator of a college, never been a president, and is against being has been set up against candidates who actually do have higher education experience. Provosts don't.
Speaker 4: I don't want to do it.
Speaker 1: No, I'll say I'll say her name or name. Actually, you know what. The reason why I'm not naming the person is because I actually think the issue is bigger than the individual. The issue that I really have with it is politics being used to maneuver a process which is supposed to be about fam you and famuse, famuse future and what is in the best interest of the institution that is being hijacked by not?
Speaker 4: Is it Marv Marva Johnson.
Speaker 1: Marva Johnson is the candidate that is being championed. Yes, and we again, I'm not afraid.
Speaker 5: Vice President for State Government Affairs at Charter Communications.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the other people come from. Yes.
Speaker 5: Ronde Allen, Provosts and Vice President for af Academic Affairs at University of Maryland Eastern Shore, Gerald Hector.
Speaker 4: Somebody's doorbells ring and it's not my this time.
Speaker 1: Gerald Heger definitely, it's definitely somebody else.
Speaker 5: And your vice president for Administration and Finance and University of Central Florida and Donald Palm who's the executive vice president and COO at FAMU. Marva Johnson is a group vice president for State Government Affairs at Charter Communications, correct.
Speaker 4: The state Charter.
Speaker 1: So to the point, we would expect that in evaluating the candidate for president of the largest single campus HBCU in the country, the largest producer of black bacalaureate, masterial, and doctoral degree holders amongst black folk in the state of Florida and leading in the country, would have a president who has some experience at running in institution of higher education.
Speaker 2: Are all these folks black?
Speaker 1: Uh? Those to my knowledge? Yes?
Speaker 4: Okay Marvel Marvel went to Georgetown.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean she has to college and she has degrees.
Speaker 2: And is she a Republican? She's a mega supporter. What's her Yes?
Speaker 1: In fact, some of the look I don't know her personal party affiliation. I do know in the spaces in which she works where a lot of their political money goes. And the fact that she is a support of Rohnda Scantist and there is a campaign that refers to her as Maga Marva.
Speaker 5: Well Maga Marva is or was a commissioner appointed of the state Board. The appointed a constitution revision commission. She was a commissioner on that appointed by the governor. Looks like in twenty seventeen, twenty eighteen, I'm just trying to figure out what prepares Marva to be the president of the college. It says that she's loyalty served as chair. So she served as chair of the Florida State Board of Education. It says that she said, I'm not I'm not saying this is run. I'm just trying to figure out what they would argue grounds her.
Speaker 1: What they're arguing, I don't mind sharing that she can she because of her corporate contacts, that she can raise money for Florida A and M University. And by the way, anybody who's ever applied to lead an organization or job commits to being able to raise godly on some you know, godly amounts of money. Uh. And guess what after they get the job, giving stays about where it is and and problem, you know, life goes on and nobody removes that person because they failed to bring on godly amounts of money to the institution.
Speaker 3: What's needed, Andrew, because to me, this is a big deal, pretty serious, and I didn't quite understand it when you were saying it before, but now that I'm hearing you, this is actually a very serious issue that needs urgent attention. I'm thinking about all the family alumni who we know, you included. We cannot put the hand like our precious HBCUs.
Speaker 2: In the hands of MAGA.
Speaker 5: People give them we see any higher education exp like I'm going through an.
Speaker 3: Outside of that. Like, to me, that's not the biggest flag. The biggest flags of me is that she's MAGA and b flag for me is that she has no I don't.
Speaker 5: Think the higher education administrator. And in order to be considered for a vice president role, let alone of president, you have to have had some years of experience in higher education.
Speaker 1: She doesn't have ANGELA, it doesn't her qualifications do not even meet with FAM. You advertise this as needing for the position.
Speaker 5: And then here's the thing that makes it even worse. And I'm just gonna call a thing a thing. You're you want to constantly come at us about black folks who don't meet qualifications, and that's d I and then they go and get somebody who was remarkably unqualified to drill home their point that we're not quality.
Speaker 4: That is not our choosing, that's y'all's choosing. We ain't choosing.
Speaker 1: When we talked about HEXF and we talked about the Joint chiefs of Staffs person where the President had to waive the qualifications for the position in order to get the black man out and put his person in. My concern, y'all, is for fam you most immediately, but it is for our institutions, our institutions that are being politicized and overly politicized, where you can't no longer trust these processes to deliver a candidate who's most qualified and best for the institution, but rather one who is most reliable to ensuring the agenda of said politician.
Speaker 3: I think one of the biggest concerns I have to andrew in terms of putting our HBCUs in these hands, like we've seen what happened at other institutions of higher education, starting Columbia, like they are turning over universities are capitulating to this administration, turning over sensitive data, private information about the student body there and so often, but even before we get to curriculum. The very specific thing that concerns me. When we talk about immigration, we rarely think about black immigrants. But there are a huge number of black people who attend HBCUs who.
Speaker 2: Were not born in America.
Speaker 3: And so if you put a MAGA person over fam you, that means people who may have been born in Jamaica who are attending school, people who've been born on the continent in Nigeria, like I know at c AU and AUC there were all types of foreign born students attending school, and so you could you could be doing things like inviting ice on campus to now deport to the government's disappearing people and are just even our personal like our social security number everything, you're turning that over And to your point andree the protest laws in in Florida, that's really serious.
Speaker 1: And in the country. I think, if I know, we've got to rap on this, and I regret that I didn't do that as complete a job at highlighting I think the real concerns here of me as an alumnus of an HBCU very specifically fam you. But to give you one example, we have student leaders who are not prepared to weigh into this fight because they're in fear of what would happen to them if they opposed a candidate of choice. Would they would they somehow figure out a way to keep their degrees from them? Would they somehow figure out a way that the letters of recommendation for graduate school or to law school or medical school could be withheld by administrators because they opposed a candidate for president. This is terrifying because the university environment is exactly where you would expect to see protests where you exactly expect to see young people who are enlightened standing up and saying not here, not today, not now, not ever. And now our folks, who generally, at this stage in their lives are free to express their free opinions, are no longer free because they've got to be concerned at what they see happening at the federal level, where folks are being disappeared on the street because of political disagreement. So what all I'm saying is that the efforts that we are seeing happen nationally are trickling down such to the point that even at a state institution HBCU, folks are in fear of retribution for saying I just want to qualify candidate to be my president. I just saying, I just want someone who is going to look out for our best interests first and foremost.
Speaker 3: I just say, because we only have three minutes left, what is the most urgent ass like, what can we need right now?
Speaker 1: There is a letter circulating for rattlers, students, fans of FAM, youse support orders of the Institution. You all could sign, myself included to say one, we want somebody with experience who meets the minimum qualifications to be considered for the presidency. So eliminate those who don't meet that criteria. They may not, but we then secondly, we'll call that person out for you. If you can't tell from their resume in your interview that they're not qualified, let us just simply go to the record. Let's look at the facts. Tell me where this person meets the qualifications for higher education governance. You see, you, we can't just have a president who fundraises. We can't just have a president who is an administrator. We can't just have a president who understands the goals and the missions of historically black universities and understands the special character of FAM. You as a state institution who doesn't believe and the legacy of HBCUs and the fact that we were shut out of every other state school until fam You got created eighteen eighty seven, and at that point we have produced exactly the kind of outcomes you would want to see in exemplary fashion. But if we have a president who doesn't believe in HBCUs, who is willing to capitulate to what the governor says we ought to be and what we ought to do, and who's doing the bidding of a maga, then we begin the destruction of ourselves. And we cannot be sleep walking during this time. So my call is one wake up to get that letter, Sign that letter, and we could make it available on the post notes. You know how to access it. But it is moving around rather organically now to folks to raise the specter that y'all can't come here and do anything and treat us any kind of way just because we the Black school, and that if you come for us, we're coming back for you. So my hope is that we could get some real justice out of this process, and justice to me would be the appointment of a qualified, fully qualified individual to the position and quite Frankly, the other candidates meet the minimum requirements, So why are we being played? Why the politics on us?
Speaker 4: I just went through this lady's whole resume, like the one that she submitted.
Speaker 1: To FAM you, and it's still no.
Speaker 4: I'm literally the.
Speaker 5: Only education experience she has is being appointed by Rick Scott and then being appointed to a different board by Ron de Santis. It doesn't make any sense. She has no experience at the Florida College Foundation board. She's on the Pace Academy for Girls. She's on the Florida Scholars Academy board appointed by DeSantis and the Florida State Board of Education for eight years. There is no other higher education k through tale of education pre early child, no other experience in education, at least not listed on her resume that she submitted for the presidential search, without which I would find interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. It's just it's sickening for them to think that they can just throw anything at us and that we're going to be okay. And that to me is a reflection of their vowe where they value us and you can't value me and send me somebody who ain't never run no institution, FAM you when it advertises for its president. We ought to be getting the krem de la creme of candidates and higher education coming to apply for these positions. The reason we are not is because real academics aren't interested in the politics. They're not interested in being a do boy or a do girl for Governor X or y or Z. They're there in service to the institution. And Marvin may be a very good person as an individual. I'm not assaulting that. What I'm assaulting is the very clear absence of qualifications for the position that she seeks. And because I love FAM you, and because I love our HBCUs, we can't let our banner institutions fall at this level.
Speaker 4: Of an.
Speaker 5: She got a her resume that's quoted named Roscoe Young. He runs something called the Young Kinsley Technology Group, and that ain't even based in Florida.
Speaker 4: Did he go to FAM? You do you know Roscoe? See Young? Andrew.
Speaker 1: I don't know Roscoe. I know some Roscoe's all right.
Speaker 3: Well on that note, welcome home, y'all anyway, Yeah, welcome FAM you alumni step up though, this.
Speaker 1: Is this is just staying with you, HBCUs. Period. Yeah.
Speaker 5: If Roscoe Young didn't go to FAM, and she didn't quote him. I don't know why y'all got me down this rabbit hole, but I'm down it.
Speaker 1: Well it's a rabbit hole because it's it's a it's a mess.
Speaker 3: Well, hopefully you keep us posted, Andrew. Maybe on the next episode we'll talk.
Speaker 1: More about what it's all being decided, y'all in the next twelve to eighteen days. Just no things are moving.
Speaker 2: Thanks for tuning in to the mini pod, you guys.
Speaker 1: Thanks for Native lampard is the production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Recent Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.