Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This He's Talking Cowboys Straining live.
Speaker 2: From the Dallas Cowboys World Heads at the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 1: Touchdown.
Speaker 3: It's a Wednesday edition of Talking Cowboys presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frisco, Texas and the s WBC studios. Welcome in, everybody alongside Patrick no c Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah standback.
Speaker 4: I'm Kyle Yeolmans.
Speaker 3: This is now the Emmy Award winning Talking Cowboys crew.
Speaker 4: Isaiah took home another Emmy last night.
Speaker 3: We've got a new you Emmy winner and Patrick no c Walker, congratulations.
Speaker 1: Sir, appreciate that. Man.
Speaker 5: It's uh still hasn't sunk in yet, but you know, quite surreal to experience that. You know, a lot of blood, sweat and tears, but at the same time, it also goes to the greatness of those around you. So surround yourself with greatness that will help you, you know better, tap into the greatness that is within you, and then you can you can make some big things happen in this life. So I'm blessed blessed to be around you, guys, blessed to be a part of this, this organization. And guys like one sitting at this table, Derek Nick Eatman. Just you know, the list goes on and on, Ambar Garcia, guys behind the scenes, Alex Lily, Chris Bean Jazz. I mean, we got so many elite folks here that you know, without them, none of this, none of this happened.
Speaker 1: So go team, no way squad. It really is.
Speaker 4: It's a it's a team effort.
Speaker 3: Do you know what the total number ended up being last night?
Speaker 1: Not at all? Did you?
Speaker 6: Did you bring them all home? Because you made all the speeches. Derek came and loaded them up in his vehicle.
Speaker 7: Okay, so Derek came and got he had them all.
Speaker 1: There's a lot backed up the U. It was a lot. That was awesome. It was a lot.
Speaker 8: Cod truck, if you will. He backed it up and loaded them up.
Speaker 6: At least there was at least forty of them things, you think, so, Lord, yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 3: Well, congratulations to everybody in the department that ended up winning.
Speaker 1: Uh for those that knows how to stick some talent.
Speaker 7: I was just about to say, for those that don't know.
Speaker 3: This department is uber talented in terms of what they do on a day to day basis, and we are we are just blessed to be a part of it along the way, but super happy. And we've we're the uh, we're the only show, the only podcast that has three Emmy winners as.
Speaker 1: A part more than two.
Speaker 3: We so just wow, I just thought I.
Speaker 1: Thought it sprinkled. I mean, there's JV and then there's Varce.
Speaker 7: Shot shots fire.
Speaker 3: All Right, We've got lots to catch up on because since we were on the air Monday, things have happened around the build thing, just a.
Speaker 4: Couple things along the way making moves.
Speaker 3: Moves have been made, papers have been signed, and it looks like there may be some more to come. But we're gonna talk about ceed Lamb. He's back in the building. He was back in practice yesterday. Four years, one hundred and thirty six million dollars, one hundred of that guaranteed.
Speaker 1: Really the deal.
Speaker 7: That I think a lot of us anticipated.
Speaker 3: Where it's just underneath the Justin Jefferson highest non paid or non quarterback to ever get paid in the NFL. But it is a significant contract and now the first Domino has fallen and you're starting to see that pack.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, and to say that Ceedee Lamb has earned his contract is a gross understatement. And also when you're talking about it financially, you have to look at the fact that, unlike Minnesota, Texas does not have any state Texas. So mathematically speaking, as far as take home greatest concerned, Ceede Lamb is actually the highest earning wide receiver in the NFL over Justin Jeffer So I'm sure that came into the conversation as well. But yeah, now that Ceedee Lamb is on the books, and we spoke with him yesterday and he talked about how ready he is, quote unquote, I'm ready for battle. He added fifteen pounds of lean muscle in his workouts between Texas and South Florida. He's been working with Dak Prescott in the dakyard. I mean, he's been doing everything he can to be ready for this moment. So he says he's a full go for Cleveland, and it looks like that's going to be the case up next Dak Prescott.
Speaker 1: When does this happen?
Speaker 5: Ceedee Lamb had a fantastic quote when it comes to that he was basically saying that he wants Everybody knows that Ceedee Lamb wants Dak Prescott here in the building for the foreseeable future. Also said everybody knows Jerry Jones wants it to happen, and we all know Dak Prescott wants it to happen. So Ceedee Lamb said, let's get it done. Let's kill the speculation. End quote. So to hear wide Receiver one completely on board as we knew that he was. And I think we've talked about this on off the cuff on several occasions.
Speaker 1: It's a package deal for me.
Speaker 5: Right, if you're talking about extend Dak Prescott, you should be talking about getting the deal done for CD Lamb. Now that you have the deal done for Ceedee Lamb, you need to get the deal done for Dak Prescott because of what they are for each other production wise and in the locker room.
Speaker 1: So package deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So now the question is when does the Dak Prescott deal land. I'm not saying if I said when when it came to Ceedee Lamb and here we are, I'm sticking with when when it comes to Dak Prescott.
Speaker 1: When would you get it done? Isaiah by Friday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that quick, I like that.
Speaker 1: Knock it out.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I foresee Friday at the earliest, That's my expectation. And at the latest, I would say Wednesday next week.
Speaker 7: Wow, So not a long window.
Speaker 1: I mean, let's get Isaiah upstairs.
Speaker 6: Yeah, an elevator. Elevator for a number of reasons. For a number of reasons. I mean from the standpoint of you do not want to have these conversations, nor do you want to take attention away from the team leading into your first game of the season.
Speaker 1: Also, it has to.
Speaker 6: Get done by next week, by next Sunny Day, by the first game. Because I think it's known that if Dak Prescott touches the field in Cleveland without a contract, he the probability of him coming back is slim to none because there's a due down in Las Vegas. I would pay whatever is in his back pocket to ensure that he got down there, along with other teams.
Speaker 1: But we know that that guy would pay a ton.
Speaker 8: Would he be the most highly yes, yes, yeah, yeah. It would just be the biggest free agent of all time if he hit the free agency at least this year.
Speaker 3: I mean, when Tom's deal was up there and there is a couple, there's a couple of guys that have been out there like yeah.
Speaker 8: But a bigger name since since since Tom Bradley.
Speaker 3: I mean, he would be the biggest name this offseason, no doubt, not even close, especially if he has a year even comparable to what he did last year, if he's even in in the MVP conversation whatsoever, that number is going to be astronomical, which is part of why they should get it.
Speaker 4: Done Friday to Wednesday of this one.
Speaker 6: You can't run the risk of having a competition in terms of bidding on Dak Prescott.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's not even in the cards.
Speaker 6: You can't allow that because, yeah, everybody has deep pockets when it comes to these thirty two individuals who run these organizations.
Speaker 1: So that's the last thing you want. And you also don't want the distractions.
Speaker 6: And we also know that Dak from and Dak and any other quarterback when it comes to the regular season, I'm focused on winning games now.
Speaker 8: And his cap hit this year would be fifty five if the if a new deal isn't done.
Speaker 6: Correct, yeah, I mean, I mean I have no Jedi, but so I think the deal is probably fifty eighty runner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I don't think it'll all hit this year, No one, no, no, I'm saying I think I think his annual.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And to add to Isaiah's point, one of the reasons that you should and another reason you should have urgency to get this deal done is salary cap management purposes. So I put this out there on Twitter yesterday, Ceedee Lamb. He was sitting to hit the Cowboys for a little bit under eighteen million dollars fully guaranteed on that fifth year option. By extending him, which in essence makes it a five year deal because he's under contract for twenty four. Anyway, they turn that into only a eight point seventy five million dollar hit, So you get over nine million dollars in savings right there. But wait, there is more. Dak Prescott currently set to hit the Cowboys cap in twenty four for sixty six point two seven million dollars. If you can get an extension done before this season starts, that turns into twenty two million dollars in savings. That is a massive financial swing for the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: That's like another Pro Bowl caliber player at a different position. Quite percent, that's exactly, quite literally what it is.
Speaker 8: And when you still need to pay Mica down the road as well.
Speaker 5: And the caveat is is that NFL teams are required to use roughly ninety percent of the total salary cap over a four year period. There's not a hard annual floor, but that's the general rule, right. But once they hit that floor, they can roll over one hundred percent of the cap that's up unused to the next year. So when you're talking about what does free agency look like, we know the Cowboys don't play in the first wave of free agency, but they have a whale in Michael that they need to resign, and maybe they do want to get one or two guys. Nonetheless, these are huge salary cap numbers that we're talking about, in addition to the fact that the cap is going to go up in and of itself, right.
Speaker 7: So not expecting to go up as much as it happens.
Speaker 5: It's not going to jump another thirty million dollars, right, but it could. I think the projection right now is over to sixty. So because right now it's like two fifty five.
Speaker 7: I think it was like ten million.
Speaker 3: Over the next five years, it's not going to be It could be a little bit in there.
Speaker 5: Just it's not going to be exponentially explosive like it was from twenty three to twenty four, but you're still going to see that growth. So all things considered, you you're talking about pouring Scrooge McDuck money, bend money onto your salary cap.
Speaker 1: And so it's Isaiah's point.
Speaker 5: You want to get it done for all the reasons I said, Isaiah said, and in addition to a wide receiver one saying get it, get her done, and the salary cap says get or done, there's no reason not to.
Speaker 7: So Dak is the next one up. I think we all kind of agree with that.
Speaker 3: Of course MICA's after that, and then of course some sprinkled contracts in between there and now, and then back to ceed Lamb real quick. Yesterday was our first look at him. It wasn't a full practice, wasn't a full I mean, they weren't even in pads. They were just in helmets and in the jackets. But there were times where Cedde Lamb was on a knee and there were times where he was off to the side.
Speaker 4: And there's I mean.
Speaker 3: There's a difference between conditioning and working out by yourself. And then team, conditioning and running a full practice. Is there enough ramp up time that we're now eleven days away from the opener? And Isaiah, I'll turn to you on this. Is there enough ramp up time for CD to be in game shape and be in CD LAMB form come September eighth against the Browns.
Speaker 1: I don't think he'll be one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: I just mean give me a ballpark number.
Speaker 6: I mean working out on your own, then getting with the team, you know, resistance, fighting up against guys with pads, hitting, all that jazz that goes along with playing ball.
Speaker 1: You probably have an eighty five percent. You know, CD.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 6: I mean that's just the reality of it. That's not to say that he's not willing or any of that jazz. It's just that's just the reality of getting your body prepared. And I think the biggest threat is not as cardiovascular system. I think his biggest threat is making sure that he doesn't have any soft tissue ish in injuries.
Speaker 8: Well, on top of what you said, he gained fifteen pounds of lean muscle. On top of that, like carrying that around while doing drills while conditioning. Now that's going to be tougher too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, and the game of football when you're playing seven on seven or you're playing routes on the air, like that's cool.
Speaker 1: Even if you're wearing the whole pad, all the pads.
Speaker 6: At dark spot, I was what's the name of his field, dad, the backyard, even if you're wearing all your pads at the dockyard and getting your work, and it's still not the same. Right when you get up there and start pushing up against people and people are able to actually get real physical with you, it takes a lot more out of you. Also, it puts a lot more stress on your body. Right, you started talking about stress.
Speaker 1: On your achilles, stress on your calves.
Speaker 6: All your all your you know your your your aductors, your hip flexers, you know your growings. We hear a lot of growing injuries come when when guys haven't been around playing the actual ball for a while.
Speaker 1: This is just the reality.
Speaker 6: Yeah, definitely knocking on all the wood you can find, but that's that is the risk.
Speaker 1: You run when you give somebody.
Speaker 6: But six days of practice possibly about about that, It seems about six days of real practice before going out and playing a game at that at one hundred percent, So I don't expect him to be in mid season form by that time. He is behind, That's true. He is behind everybody else when it comes to physical conditioning. That's not that, that's no knock on his off season training. It's just the facts that he has not been playing football against other grown men for the last six weeks, and everybody else has what would be a realistic to expectation week one, because I can already see it, and I know Patrick, I know you, you probably know where I'm going with this Week one games will for everybody's looking up the box score and there's four targets, three receptions for twenty one yards, no touchdowns, ceedee lamb.
Speaker 4: On Week one, everybody's saying, we paid this.
Speaker 3: Guy what there's a probably there's a chance that that happens, but that's you shouldn't freak out in him.
Speaker 1: No, you don't forge out. There was no freaking out. Good luck with that.
Speaker 6: And people don't want to hear ramp by contract, especially with the you have one hundred million dollars, you got thirty six million dollars. I just got direct deposits to you account. The last thing you want to hear is ramping ramping him up. Yeah, and people don't want to hear that, and we get it.
Speaker 8: But hit that go round, Yeah he's going to see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's not that good. He's not a transformer, he's a human.
Speaker 5: But that's the same man, right, exactly, these guys need to be working. And also keep in mind, this is a long season, right, Football is a long season, even longer now even now. You need him for the long haul. So while he's he being ceedee lamb, while he said he's going to be ready for a full slate, we'll see if the Cowboys give him a full slate of targets, because there's a difference between targets and reps. I mean, he could be easily be a decoy on plenty of those and still be impactful because he's on the field. But to Isaiah's point, I mean, and City said it himself, he just needs to get thumped. He needs to get thumped, and he needs to feel that contact violence, which is what he termed it, which is accurate. He needs to feel the contact violence. They're not going to be able to thump him up over these next several practices like they would have in training camp, right, so his first actual you know, wreckage when is a slant round over the middle of Cleveland and they're like, welcome.
Speaker 1: Back, Ceedee Lamb.
Speaker 5: So I will say, you know, I hope that he has a phenomenal first week. My expectation though, is that it needs to be that everyone's expectations needs to be tempered as.
Speaker 1: Far as what he might do or might not do in week one.
Speaker 5: If he goes out and he has, you know, ten catches for two hundred yards and three touchdowns, fantastic, sensational. If it's only four targets for twenty one and no touchdowns.
Speaker 1: Well that means Cooks eight.
Speaker 5: That does mean hopefully, it means it means Jake Ferguson, Tober, I mean Tobert, a other Duke, duce Vaughn, Jalen Brooks.
Speaker 1: I mean, you have other guys, don't you do it? And that was the benefit, that was the benefit.
Speaker 6: Oh you mean, jeez, but no, that's the benefit of when you look at the opposing side of it, right, But Ceedee Lamb not being in camp Brandon Cooks, yes, and Dak Prescott looked like Siamese twins out there right, like they.
Speaker 1: Were just joint at the hip these guys were.
Speaker 6: These guys were in unisons, right, So that's the benefit because now as you're ramping up, Ceedee Lamb, he's still a threat, regardless if he's if he's if he's a MIDS, he's in former, or no, he's you still better respect him. With him saying he's gonna Tostito, Yeah, Tostito's plaza, it doesn't matter, right, so you better respect.
Speaker 1: Him the same way.
Speaker 6: And now you have the chemistry of a Dak Prescott and Brandon Cooks that might not have been at that level. Has CD been there, So there's benefit to that. You still have CD and what he's capebook doing. But until you until we get on that one, accurt I got you be Cooks.
Speaker 5: And don't forget don't forget about the rookie Ryan Flinoy. I mean he's he's making some ways. We saw him make another sensational catch yesterday in practice. So that all building all to say that you know, as CD Lamb is ramped up, fact is he's going to be on the field, which makes him, if nothing else, one of the best decoys in the NFL in Week one, and then these other guys who were able to take, you know, opportunities and turn them into production for the Cowboys in the preseason.
Speaker 1: That gets to lean on those guys as well. Two million dollar Gay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and and Brandon Brandon Cooks by the way, Sid No, he returned to practice yesterday. He missed the final week in practice in Oxnar did the personal reasons. He missed a couple of practices prior to that with some knee soor iness, but he was back in full pass yesterday.
Speaker 3: So great, great news, great news. Over under seventy five yards for CD in week one.
Speaker 1: Over over, over over over, I'm gonna go under.
Speaker 4: I think I would go barely under that.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, like seventy seven.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, I'm not very good at making CD lamb Betts. The last time I did that, I ran a half marathon.
Speaker 6: So nothing wrong with we can make a Brandon Cooks Betoks.
Speaker 4: You don't want to make a brand.
Speaker 3: You don't want to make a bread gets spicy in here. Listen, listen, we don't have enough hot sauce. I had somebody bring that up to me the other day. I was doing an event with the Cowboys Club and one of the great members there was like I just all the time. I laugh at the hot sauce. I wanna wear that shirt Tuesday. I don't know where I made a shirt with nick on on the front of it, with the hot sauce. Yeh, just dying spices that guy, poor guy.
Speaker 5: Do you remember the mudding shirt catfishing that had your face on? We were talking about muddy, Yes, you know, like getting in the yeah.
Speaker 1: The newly yeah shirt. But would you ever do that?
Speaker 8: I don't know what that is.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about it.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about it all right when we come back. Old stuff here on Talking Cowboys. Ceedee Lamb may not be the only move the Cowboys are making this week, as they what do you mean co They're looking at another former pro bowler, and we may have some news here on Talking Cowboys. We'll talk about what the Cowboys are doing with their roster building when we come back.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G. Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 3: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of.
Speaker 11: A grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee.
Speaker 3: The company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag, box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee.
Speaker 11: Today.
Speaker 12: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 13: Life doesn't stop when the economy is uncertain. The market might not care you have a wedding to plan or a kid to put through school. An inflation doesn't know you've got a family to feed. But Bank of America does and is here to help. With digital tools to help you save and local experts nearby, you can keep life moving forward the way you need it to. Bank of America. What would you like the power to do? Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com. Bank of America and a member after I see equal Credit Opportunity lender.
Speaker 14: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys. This portion of the Talking Cowboys is brought to you by Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of.
Speaker 7: The Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Quaker Oats trusted since eighteen seventy seven.
Speaker 1: Good motes.
Speaker 3: You know who had eighteen seventy seven rushing yards in a single season one time?
Speaker 1: That is elite segue.
Speaker 4: I'm just kidding.
Speaker 1: He didn't was about to say good ground, that's perfect.
Speaker 3: The most the most he ever had was in twenty twenty at fifteen hundred and fifty seven yards with sixteen touchdown.
Speaker 1: Who's that? Who might that be? Dalvin Cook?
Speaker 3: Running back formerly of the Yeah sounds familiar, Formerly of the Minnesota Vikings. He then made the switch to the Baltimore Ravens in twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: Three, and then ended with the New York Jets.
Speaker 3: Well, he was released earlier this week and reports are right now Patrick Online. The NFL posted it this morning that yeah, the Cowboys are expected to sign Dalvin Cook.
Speaker 4: Nothing official, Yeah, no official.
Speaker 3: But what do you think about that move and really the possibility it brings for this running back?
Speaker 1: Well, first, let's frame it the right way.
Speaker 5: The expectation is that the Cowboys will sign Dalvin Cook, but to the practice squad, okay, not to the fifty three man roster. I saw some fans that were concerned, what does this mean for Dukes faw Nothing? What does it mean for maybe Rico Daldo Ezekiel Elliott As it stands, nothing. The goal is to bring Dalvin Cook in on the practice squad, ramp him up, get him ready for whenever.
Speaker 1: They might need him. He'll serve as insurance.
Speaker 5: Not different from what we were talking about on Monday when I was speaking Royce Freeman to the practice squad for insurance purposes and just just as a reminder, practice squad players can be elevated a maximum of three times, so they'll have three elevations for Dalvin Cook. On the third elevation, they have to decide to either keep him on the active roster or they have to release him. But he's vested, he's not subject to waivers, so they could play that game a couple of times before the trade deadline. Because after the trade deadline, even vested veterans or subject to waivers, So they could elevate him three times before the trade deadline at the end of October slash beginning of November, release him without making an active roster move corresponding, and then resign him like the next day.
Speaker 1: So you know, they could play that game if they want, so it gives them time to see lots lots.
Speaker 8: I think expectations need to be tempered a little bit. For Dalvin Cook, that his best year. Like you said that fifteen hundred yards, that was twenty twenty, a.
Speaker 4: Long time ago, A long time ago, at bit.
Speaker 8: A lot of it, a lot of bit. It's a big name, for sure, and that's always nice to see. But the last time he played seventeen games, he only had eleven hundred rushing yards and eight touchdowns. That was the last time he played seventeen games.
Speaker 3: Which was not I would take eleven hundred rushing yards in eight touchdowns right now, but I don't think that's happening.
Speaker 8: I think combined with with Zeke Rico, I think you're gonna get that.
Speaker 4: I mean, at least yeah, they're.
Speaker 6: Gonna get Wait, so we had we had this conversation, right, I think we talked about this on Monday. What does he provide that's different than what you currently have in the room?
Speaker 4: Completely agree?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you said, we had this conversation, and I haven't changed my thought process.
Speaker 5: It's increases with the redundancy, which is why you put Saying on the practice squad instead of the active roster, same reason I said you can Royce streaming around. It's for insurance if you were to suffer injury to Rico.
Speaker 6: Or do you have any concerns, okay about personality, fits, character, whatever it might be the fact that he's bounced around a little bit here in his last few years.
Speaker 5: I don't have any personality or character I don't know. I don't have any personality or character character concerns. I've quite literally never heard of Dalvin Cook being any type of locking the issue with any organization. And then also keep in mind, albeit on the opposite side of the ball where Zimmer is now, there's that relationship as well. So this this is something that Zimmer gave a green light to. And I doubt that Zimmer would have given Mike McCarthy and wiltrom Clay and Stephen Jones Jerry Jones the green light if in their time together in Minnesota, Delvin was any kind of distraction. So no, I don't have any character issues at all. I think for me, it's much like what Josh is saying, you have to look at tempering your expectations production wise, because one of the numbers you want to keep an eye on is the fact that the last time he was touching the ball, he averaged only three point two yards per carry, So he most certainly at this point in his career, needs a dominant offensive line. Good news is that the Cowboys might actually field might be a dominant offensive line.
Speaker 8: There's still a lot of hope up front might And if you think about it, he went to the Ravens when they were in desperate need of a running game at the end of their season and did not I think he played in all, but I think he played two games for them after being on the practice squad and ultimately didn't. The yards per carry was pretty low there as well, and they decided not to bring him back either.
Speaker 6: What was ultimately the reason why he left the Jets because there was a lot of hype that off season in regards to the Jets, but it was a.
Speaker 1: Lot of hype that year. It was Aaron Rodgers coming in coming in the Jets mess.
Speaker 7: I don't know if they're that much of a mess.
Speaker 3: And I mean, I know they are as like a general historic franchise of everything, but their death chart is pretty damn and if we're talking about running.
Speaker 5: Backs, but it's also and this is what I mean, because he has signed with the Jets under the understanding and that he was the guy he was.
Speaker 1: But then he got there and they were like, h just kidding.
Speaker 5: Brescee Hall stepped up and and that immediately turned into a disgruntled version of why is that a problem? Why is it a problem? You'd have to ask him why. That's because the production because here predure even justified.
Speaker 6: I'm sure the expectation has been set substantially differently, and that might be.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. That might be.
Speaker 6: The thing is I'm that type of person as well, right, set my expectations properly same. So now you're walking into the situation where you understand correct that it's a shared If he shared back like he was lied to by the Jays, then you can see why the dominoes filled the way they did in this situation.
Speaker 5: They're looking at him saying, practice squad, ramp up and then we will see so he knows coming in that's what that's the lane he's in.
Speaker 10: I mean, he played fifteen games with the Jets, so it wasn't like I mean they held on to him all year.
Speaker 3: One start though, and he was banged up earlier in the year. He was banged up and then Breese Hall had the coming out party at Medlights against the Giants, and then that was the.
Speaker 4: End of the.
Speaker 11: Real role there.
Speaker 3: They've got Braylan Allen who's a rookie. They have Isaiah Davis who's a rookie.
Speaker 1: Both of those.
Speaker 11: Guys are really damn good.
Speaker 1: I know, I know.
Speaker 3: But they have these this young stable of running backs that they can find out of all these draft picks that were fifth round or above. And Dalvin Cook doesn't necessarily fit the young running back mold that the Jets are looking for.
Speaker 4: I think that's ultimately why they moved on.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's because of anything Cook did or said or how he played specifically. I just don't think he is the youth that the Jets are looking for in the running back spot because they need to stay young outside of Aaron Rodgers in those other positions in order to have some success this year. On off, I agreed, but overall, it's I mean, is this just a low risk, high rewards sort of deal practice squad.
Speaker 4: It's a going on.
Speaker 6: It's a safe bet for the Cowboys. You get somebody who's a veteran, you get somebody who's who's tried and true. You get somebody who can run downhill, who can block, can catch out the backfield, who just a handful of years ago was considered to be one of the best in the league. And now you come in here and to your point, you know, low risk, you know, come on to the practice squad. Let's get you in shape. Let's see what you're capable of, and see where your mindset's at. Let's see what how you can possibly contribute to this room. And if we see that that's that that's going to be something that you could do, then we'll elevate you.
Speaker 1: And if you produce, then we'll sign you. And honestly and we'll get to this.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to spoil my picks for back into segment three, but let's let me just put it this way, Devin Cook is not the only running back that I would add to this practice.
Speaker 7: So actually, let's do it now, Let's do it.
Speaker 4: Let's do it now, Okay, anyone?
Speaker 1: Interesting?
Speaker 3: My thought process was what were the cuts that were surprising across the league?
Speaker 1: Right? Yep?
Speaker 3: What were some of those guys the names that that popped up? I know, Cadarius Tony from Kansas City was one. Yeah, interesting is that one that you were looking at?
Speaker 8: Not for the Cowboy. I thought it was surprising. That's because it's a big name. Sure, granted you saw the season that he had last year in Knas City, which was pretty.
Speaker 5: He was refreshed though overall over what happened with the Giants though that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was better in Kansas City than he was in New York, no doubt that's fair.
Speaker 8: But he did have a really rough fair season last season and did not play in the oude of all unactive a lot of blue tints during the Super Bowl and that had to that had to affect his confidence level at some point. And obviously you know, being cut is is interesting as well. Another interesting one for me was Lee Collins, who we brought in at the end of last season due to injuries on offense lines.
Speaker 1: Wrong.
Speaker 8: Uh, it's interesting to see another Cowboy draft pick or well not necessarily draft pick, but Siginny. Yeah, on on the way for wire after roster cuts.
Speaker 1: That just no, no, not I was wepping something.
Speaker 5: I just I just imagine, just me touching on on the names that you put out there, Lyle Collins really stands out for me in the aspect of I keep playing it back in my mind after I saw that he was released. If he had chosen to simply stay here, right, he would have at least had a chance at beating out Chuma Ydoga. He would not have beat out opportunity, but he would have had the opportunity. I don't Obviously things did not go well for him in Buffalo, but I think they he would have had a greater chance to make this offensive line roster. But that's neither here nor there now. But for me, I'm circling right back to the running backs. I'm looking at a name like Dante Foreman, and I'm also looking at a name like Frank Gorge Junior. Okay, since we're talking about Buffalo, talk about Frank gord Junior.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: Yes, I can appreciate why Dalvin Cook is being is expected to be added to the practice squad one hundred percent low risk, potentially high reward. But for when you look at who the Cowboys released at the position as well. Okay, I was just getting a text. I was checking to see if that was confirmation. But if you were looking at who the Cowboys released four running backs from Malik Davis, Nathaniel Pete Snoop Connor and Roy Freeman. Okay, I would love to have Royce Freeman back on the practice squad. But if it's for me, if it's Royce Freeman versus a Dante Foreman or taking from verse, yeah, I'm taking for me?
Speaker 7: Is it because he's different?
Speaker 1: He's different?
Speaker 5: He does provide that change of pace And if Dalvin is going to give you insurance for Rico and Zeke, who's your insurance.
Speaker 1: For duce Von? So you need and you know he's not.
Speaker 5: Dante is not as shifty or quick or small as duce Von. However, he does have shiftiness in his game. He does have quickness and ability to catch out of the backfield and produce in space. Frank Gore a little bit different, more of a bowling ball right, kind of like his dad.
Speaker 1: Boy.
Speaker 5: It's talented, not as talented at least, but I was going to see what his upside is. I mean, if you can bring in a young guy like that, he's, you know, rookie, you can maybe develop into something for next year, maybe the year after, because you're gonna need to solve this running back situation after this year. You didn't get a draft pick in for one this year, so you gotta have one next year.
Speaker 7: But Isaiah is on speed dial. They're going to sign him up before you know.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I mean for you, now you got rich.
Speaker 5: So for me, it's Dante Foreman and Frank Gore Junior are the two names that kind of jump off the waiver wife for me. Now, my understanding is Dante Foreman has kind of like a gentleman's agreement, is what reports are saying. But you know, money talks, so I'm sure if you sprinkle a little bit because gentlemen like money too, Yeah, sprinkle a little bit more than than what what that gentleman agreement says, and you could probably get them on on the practice squad.
Speaker 8: That's fair enough. I was, I brought up a o' collins only because of injuries or our offensive line, and then.
Speaker 5: That's what I mean, like he would have had opportunity to make this fifty three.
Speaker 8: But now I mean it might be his third time coming back.
Speaker 7: To you don't think so, Isaiah?
Speaker 1: They on IR. They did not put Chum on IR. That's fair, not yet well fair. It could it could still happen. It could still happen to day.
Speaker 6: But from what I understand about like all Collins, he's just physically not what he was.
Speaker 1: So that's the reason why i'd be against that. Yeah, that's the thing. That's the reason why who stuck. I don't know, there wasn't anybody that really jumped off the page.
Speaker 6: I'm looking at the list right now, there's nobody that I think that Dallas Cowboys have done a good job of feeling their filling their holes. I think if you're going to add anything, there's there's a couple of d linemen into your guys that you could have added. You know, might Purcelle maybe the only other guy that I was add in there.
Speaker 7: But you've already added some guys there, I know, but.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't not to be confused, but I'm just.
Speaker 7: Saying, you've already in their head there.
Speaker 6: They've checked that box understood. But that's the only area that I would feel that. I mean, you're not going to go sign no big corners like save me how, You're not gonna You're not gonna do any big splash moves like that.
Speaker 1: So you're your rolling with who you have.
Speaker 6: You know, I would me personally, I want that interior D line loaded, and I think they've done a good job of feeling that. We'll see exactly how effective that is come next week. But I want that. I want that interior D line locked and loaded, because if you can't move me, you can't stop me from the inside, you don't saying a chance of doing anything offensively against me. So the inside of that D line is absolutely everything. You can have all the pass rushers in the world if I run up the middle, I don't have to deal with them.
Speaker 5: And to that point really quickly. Linval Joseph was made official on yesterday. If we're talking news practice to X team, tell us about he's awesome. I mean we used to go to the club together.
Speaker 1: But us about the other side.
Speaker 4: I want to hear about that. Watch films.
Speaker 1: I watched film Magic City.
Speaker 6: We play together in New York together. He's he's a big boy. Obviously he's been in the lead for a minute now.
Speaker 4: He did all right in New York.
Speaker 6: All right, he walked away with some jewelry. But he works hard, He goes about his business. You know, he's he's not crazy outspoken. He just does his job and he's effective at it. He understands, yeah, he understands what his role is he understands that his job go in there and clog some things up and let the look the boys behind him room free. And you know, obviously you talk about you know, Jordan Phillips coming in and that's he understands that as well. Right, that was one of his first comments. It's like, it's my if my linebackers were Pro bowlers and I did my job.
Speaker 1: I love that comment. So the more.
Speaker 6: Guys you can get in that room that can do their job effectively, the better. And I know I'll leave it at that.
Speaker 7: Listen, say it with your check with Friday. This is I don't care it is Friday.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's true, last show of the week.
Speaker 6: The reality is coach Zimmer is having a tremendous impact on the decisions that are being made upstairs, clearly, and he is unwilling to wait on the development of certain players. Say it, Mazzi, He's he has not seen what he needed to see what he needed to see to feel comfortable and confident going into this regular season. From Mazzie, that's not to say that he's not going to become that. But we had the same conversation last year and Mazzi's not big enough, he's not heavy enough. I don't think his shoulders strong enough yet, and I don't think that he's as dominant as they want him to be it, And you have to go fill those gaps.
Speaker 1: You can't just because you've invested a first.
Speaker 6: Round pick doesn't mean that you sit up there and just allow yourself to have a weak spot.
Speaker 1: You have to address it.
Speaker 6: If you're bringing in big Jordan Phillips, if you're bringing in Limn Phield Joseph, if you still have Osa diggiez or if you still have Goals, if you still have these cats in there, you're going to be pretty dog on solid. And guess what, young fella, I love you, but watch the big fella's work.
Speaker 1: So here's where I learned with that.
Speaker 5: Here's where I learned that even even if Mike Zimmer looked at Mazzi throughout training camp and said, you know what, I feel good, James Brown style, I feel good, you still had a depth issue. You still needed to bring in Linval, if you still needed to make a move for Jordan Phillips. So I say that to say, I don't know that these additions are as much of a demerit to Mazie Smith's progress. As it is, Mike Zimmer understanding better than most defensive coordinators, and he said this shortly after he was hired. He said, stop the run, stop the run, stop the run, and that includes improving linebackers as well. So look at the moves that the Cowboys have made defensively. They've wildly upgraded linebacker play and presumably we'll see how it plays out. But with the additions of Phillipson and Naval Joseph, they've upgraded the run defense on that interior as well. We'll see how the edges work. Marshawn Neeland, he's taking the strides in the absence of Sam Williams Carl last and expected to get an offer to come back to the practice squad. But he talked about ramp up. Yeah, I'm hearing that he would need that.
Speaker 1: He wasn't ready.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but if you can discourage and I need the fans understand us. If you can discourage a team from running the ball up the middle louder, what are then your options offensively louder?
Speaker 1: Then they can run it to the outside, which is.
Speaker 3: And and over and demon you got speed, that's your advantage to hit on the outside.
Speaker 6: Speed at the second level your advantage. So I'm discouraging you from going up the middle running the ball. So if I have to run it, I'm gonna try to go outside where I gotta deal with Micahu. No, I'm gonna go deal with d lok crap. There's guys behind them that are flowing to the ball fast. Okay, cool, you know what. Screw that, I'm gonna drop back and pass.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 6: So if I'm gonna throw, guess what Now, I have interior being. I have to use a center and a guard to block these guys on the inside. So what does that make me do?
Speaker 1: Now? Okay, if those three guys are being occupied by two big fellas, then I have one on ones with my dns.
Speaker 6: That's why Coach Zimmer is making these moves and bringing in these proven veterans. He's like, I don't have time to wait. I'm on a one year contract. No, I don't have time to wait on your first rounder.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: I love you, I love your development. You're coming along, not ready yet. Give me the big fellas that can do this job. By the way, Oh yeah, Joseph, Yeah, you played for me. You understand what was required. I got you, coach, Kendrick, You've done this. Yeah, I got you, coach. Let's go play ball.
Speaker 5: It's the end verse of Jonathan Hankins and Mozzie Smith. I was just about the Hanks was the start and Mazzi was rotational. Now Mozzi is the starter in Linvall will rotate.
Speaker 3: And and Phillips has some flax there too, because Joseph and Phillips can both play.
Speaker 7: The one and the three.
Speaker 3: Joseph is more of a one while his Phillips is more of a three, but they can both interchange back and forth. One of the most underrated losses of the season is Jonathan Hankins of the offseason. Letting him go was a hurt for this team, and you knew it immediately when it did they let him go or he chose He chose eight and dirty. It makes Seattle defense totally makes sense, not like he went to Washington with the with the other bus fload of However, you've.
Speaker 7: I'm going to clip that just for like that was awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you've upgraded in the veteran defensive tackle department because you had you had Jonathan Hankins.
Speaker 4: Now you have two guys and a more experienced Mazzie.
Speaker 3: I feel much much, much, much much better about this defensive tackle you got, young fell exactly. Yeah, justin Rodgers look, Jackson's look good. I mean there's things that you can you can take from that group and say they're moving in the right direction.
Speaker 1: All right, when we come back, a couple of quick transactions.
Speaker 4: Can I do it on the other side of the break.
Speaker 3: Let's do it on the other side of the break, because we've got some transactions to talk about. We've got cuts to talk about. Who was the most surprising cut from this past cut day? On Tuesday, more talking cowboys.
Speaker 9: Right after this, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per But the good news is Todd has AT and T five. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G. Fast reliable, secure.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatable plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 3: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order.
Speaker 1: Plus.
Speaker 3: Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy whipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 15: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answered life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller, would you there, doctor?
Speaker 1: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 11: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being a souldiered?
Speaker 15: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious doctor pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any doctor pepper flavor will do. Now just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 3: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and.
Speaker 11: Pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee.
Speaker 3: That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag, box or can you purchase help support that mission.
Speaker 1: Head to your local grocery store and.
Speaker 11: Roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee. Today to Talking.
Speaker 16: Cowboys, this segment is brought to you buy in viz a line the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Welcome back into Talking Cowboys. Everybody Patrick Knowsy Walker, Emmy Award winning Patrick, Josh Rodriguez, We've got Emmy Award winning Isaiah stand back. I'm Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 7: All right, we've got to talk about cuts, quick transaction. Let's talk transactions.
Speaker 5: First, Cowboys waived both Eric Scott and safety Julius Wood this week part of their cutdowns.
Speaker 1: Sometime both been claimed.
Speaker 5: Eric Scott to the Chiefs, So the Chiefs are doing some shopping in the Cowboys cupboard. Julius Wood to the Tennessee Titans. Pick and Wood was one that they really were hoping would clear so he could get to the press.
Speaker 1: He wasn't coming back. Man.
Speaker 6: I told you about Woods as soon as we got to camp. I'm like that three three nice you were. You were on him, very nice?
Speaker 1: Take it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and he only made plays in the preseason, you know, Yeah, no big deal.
Speaker 1: No, Cowboys were like good. But not to be fair though, I mean it's for his game.
Speaker 5: Who who on the active roster would you have sacrificed to carry five guy?
Speaker 6: He's a guy that you would love to have, see what I mean, he's a big safety man.
Speaker 10: He is.
Speaker 3: I would have to dig into the like the running back cupboard, and maybe Deuce Van doesn't make this.
Speaker 7: Team instead of that Wood doesn't me They weren't going to Turkey.
Speaker 1: That doesn't job. They weren't going to do something like that.
Speaker 4: So well thirty three now what was that?
Speaker 1: Do I mean?
Speaker 4: Cook gets thirty three? Wo I'm gonna make roster.
Speaker 5: I was going to say, let's just let's just focus on cook getting to the practice squad and getting before we get into arguing which number he should have, just get him.
Speaker 1: In cooking, going on. All right, well, there's some more cooking cooks in the kitchen.
Speaker 16: Did you see Kansas City cut a former cowboy and then picked a cowboy up right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Well we also we didn't talk about the fact that, and it's not made official yet, but Peyton Hendershot, he's traded, traded to the chief You talk about it for a late conditional round, late round, conditional kick. Cowboys were going to wave Peyton Hendershot, but they found a trade partner before they did that, And I think that's just that's finesse. That's something that so many Cowboys fans have voiced so much angst about this front office over the past several seasons. Why just wave a guy and not find a trade partner.
Speaker 1: Well, here you go.
Speaker 5: They found a trade partner in the Kansas City Chiefs, Peyton Hendershot, who didn't ever really have a shot at making this roster once they signed Brevin span Ford, and we talked about that big fellow John Stevens Junior came back from injury.
Speaker 1: Both of those.
Speaker 5: Schoolmaker is not going anywhere this year there and of course Jake is Jake, So Cowboys are carrying four tight ends. And Peyton Hendershot dealt with injury again this training camp that cost him a lot of practices, didn't flash.
Speaker 1: When he was he has a season.
Speaker 6: The reality is he lost confidence after Schoolmaker got never regained it.
Speaker 1: That's the reality.
Speaker 5: Jake and Peyton went in two different directions when that school Maker Picky.
Speaker 4: You remember hearing all.
Speaker 3: The storylines of those two guys and the rookies and just the way that they had these high ceilings.
Speaker 6: And Hendershott has a lot of talent. Yeah, he has a lot of talent. That has is the mental for him and if he can overcome that, and he had an amazing coach here. Obviously he was in a good room here. But if you were to leave this situation and go to any other situation to go learn from a veteran who had possessed the same skill sets as you, just thirty pounds heavier, then.
Speaker 1: But it's Kansas City Chiefs. Good luck to him, you know, girlfriends.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's got three rings. There's a little bit of a difference between, but.
Speaker 1: It's sometimes it's a good reset.
Speaker 6: I went through a lot of injuries here with the Dallas Cowboys and my mind was not where I needed it to be confidence wise, And I left here and I was literally almost back to the competence level that I was coming out of college. You know, it's just just new environment, new setting, no preconceived notions on you. Like, it's just it's sometimes it just it can be refreshing to be in a new space. So I'm hoping that that's the case for him, And good job to the Cowboys to getting something for him.
Speaker 3: Now here's here's the conditions for the seventh round pick, by the way, So they receive a seventh round pick in twenty twenty six, right seventh round pick twenty twenty six hinder shot on the fifty three man roster or for five games this season, or if he's on the forty six man game day roster for three games.
Speaker 7: So he's got to be active on game day.
Speaker 8: And if either requirement is not met, we do not get that pick.
Speaker 4: No, don't getting well, but you're him anyway.
Speaker 5: Yeah, It's like what Isaiah said though, and I've said this a lot of times before, when it comes to pick Hindershot again, when the Luke Schoolmaker card got turned in, it was only one way to go, oh, two ways to go, and you got to choose your path. Jake Ferguson took it as I'm going to you know, it's competition, going to level up, and I'm going to mentor this kid. At the same time, Peyton Hindershot dropped his helmet and kind of went into winter the hole, right, and he never snapped out of that. And then he got injured last year and that kind of stole more of his momentum. And then he heard the front office, you know, giving so much praise to John Stevens Junior, even after the kid towards a cl and hadn't played in the regular season game, basically saying, yeah, he would have made the roster and then and then he has a high priority undrafted free agent. So hopefully Peyton Hindershot uses this as a reset to snap out of that. And also, Frank gorg Junior just re signed to the practice squad for Buffalo, So dream is dead.
Speaker 4: Yeah that one.
Speaker 3: So Dante, Yeah, all right, I'm just gonna go down the list of cuts. These are the guys that are no longer with the Cowboys. Of course, a lot of these guys will return to the practice squad as early as when today, Pat, like.
Speaker 1: What quickly, as early as forty nine minutes ago.
Speaker 5: So teams can begin building their practice squad effective noon today Eastern time, which was the moment we started this show.
Speaker 3: So, and if we should go now, if we have anything in the next ten minutes out of these names, Pat, we'll let us know. Uh, stop me if there's somebody that you want to talk about out of this list, So, Josh Baul, Deontay Burnett, wide receiver, cornerback, Josh Butler, center, Cole Cabral running backs, new Connor Malie Davis also a running back.
Speaker 11: Denzel Daxton defensive tackle was cut.
Speaker 1: You perked up there?
Speaker 4: You want to talk about him at all or not like him? I don't think we've seen the last of dates.
Speaker 3: Josh de Berry defensive back, David Dirt and wide receiver, Princeton Fant tight end.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, that's a big one. Please get him back one. Okay, that was a tough cut for me when I was doing my fifty three because he's so versatile. Yeah, he's especially, he's a specially Go ahead, well.
Speaker 8: This next one is going to be tough for you and tough for all of us. Basically, go ahead, Villiami Fojoco. Oh no, never mind, Oh wow, Royce Freeman. The next one, Kemon Hall, that one that's tough. I had to pick six.
Speaker 11: Yeah, he played well and they played practices.
Speaker 3: He played well in the preseason. But they It goes back to what we were just talking about. Whenever it came to Eric Scott Junior and Julius Wood. Who are you in the middle of this secondary? Who are you cutting to make room for that guy? To make room for kem On Hall. I don't know if there was just a that's the problem. I don't think there's a guy there that we could have done in that regard. All right, So keem On Hall, Kelvin Harmon, Darius Harris, Willie Harvey.
Speaker 4: That's a tough that's tough.
Speaker 1: Do you know how well, Yes, he's going to be a really good player, Kelvin Harmon.
Speaker 6: I like Harmon. I like what I saw from him. He's young, he's he needs a lot more reps. But I think Billy Johnson and proper preseason.
Speaker 1: I like how he fights for the ball.
Speaker 3: Alec Haller tight end, a defensive tackle, tackle, Albert Huggins, wide receiver, Cam Johnson, defensive end Darrell Johnson. Uh, the back of Montie Johnson, linebacker Jason Johnson, wide receiver Tyron Johnson. I mean basically anybody with an the last name Johnson not named Buddy.
Speaker 1: Yeah done.
Speaker 11: Karl Lawson defensive end.
Speaker 1: Is that a shock to you. No, we were talking about that the other day.
Speaker 8: That's the ramp up, right.
Speaker 4: I just didn't have it.
Speaker 1: It just went from when I saw in the game. It just yeah, not ready, Nope, okay.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 3: Wide receiver Racy McMath, linebacker Brock Mogenson, Jalen Cropper at wide receiver al Quadeen Muhammad.
Speaker 1: He was placed on an injured he's on a reserve suspend.
Speaker 5: That's what it was, Okay, So he didn't have to worry about to move for him until after week one one game.
Speaker 1: Still I like him, Yeah, I like him. You were talking about him in the preseason game.
Speaker 15: I like him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Running back Nathaniel Pete, defensive tackle Justin Rodgers Rogers that stuff.
Speaker 8: That's a seventh round pick. In the twenty twenty four I.
Speaker 1: Had him on my fifty three. That was rough for me. I think he'll come back, believe, I think absolutely hope. I believe claimed he's not claimed.
Speaker 5: So so these I'm looking at the wire, the wire, looking at the wire, and these are all of those that were claimed by the NFL deadline of noon Eastern time today, right, So that means the latest round of waiver wires has been cleared.
Speaker 1: So now these guys are free to sign.
Speaker 5: So the Cowboys on we lost two guys, and Eric Scott, Julius Woods, everybody else we're talking about sign is fair game.
Speaker 3: There's Dakota Shepley center, Nathan Thomas tackle, he's out for the season. Uh, Nick Vigil linebacker, Damian Wilson linebacker and defensive back.
Speaker 1: I like Damian Wilson too, I like.
Speaker 3: I like this.
Speaker 8: Sorry, Nathan Thomas is only an injured reserve not.
Speaker 1: Why are yeah?
Speaker 6: I like the entire preseason linebacker room, Damian Wilson, Buddy Johnson, Willie Harvey.
Speaker 1: I like all those guys he had. Vigil was was okay to me, and he didn't pop to me. On special teams. He's a special teamer.
Speaker 8: Mogenson too, showed flashes, he had a pickggs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he didn't show up for me too much either.
Speaker 6: I like those three those Wilson, Buddy Johnson, Harley Harvey, those three to me, I like, I like Race Freeman.
Speaker 1: I do, I just I just do.
Speaker 6: I think he's consistent. I think you know what you're going to get out of him, and I think he's a heck of an asset on special teams.
Speaker 1: So Frank gorg Junior out.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I would like Race Freeman to still bear back then, and then again, if you're bringing back, if you're bringing Dovin Cookan on the practice squad, then where's the room for that. Yeah, there's a room for that, right because those guys are they're pretty much the same back except for one does special teams. That's why I was surprised. We had the conversation on Monday about are you going to keep Race Freeman? Are you going to keep upon?
Speaker 1: So here's a question. Not to interrupt, here's a question.
Speaker 5: So with the Cowboys, because Denzel Dexon wasn't claimed either, so he can be there plus one. So now they can carry seventeen because they get the I P P exemption for him, which for those that don't know International Pathway program, same thing that they did for Isaac ellacom Bahamas. But it's that's a conversation because it took me a while to try to wrap my head around stop it, yeah, okay, stop it loophole.
Speaker 1: You can't say that loophole.
Speaker 4: But Hamas is a country, Isaiah.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 5: He's saying is like, how does he qualify for IPP And he's right, but he does, so they're.
Speaker 6: Going with that.
Speaker 3: So my plan, Mike McDaniels, for those who don't know, you're still look at the picture of McDaniels in like twenty twenty compared to now, compared.
Speaker 1: To now, bro we did that like good body football. He looks he looks like Mark Anthony. He took it.
Speaker 3: He was he started started his coaching career as like the prey generic question or a character on like GTA, and then by the end of it, whenever you have millions and millions and millions of dollars in that video game and you get to buy all the new stuff, that's.
Speaker 7: What Mike McDaniels looks like.
Speaker 1: You got now we were not at the time.
Speaker 5: I'm want to ask I want to get your guys opinion, So you can carry seventeen because you get the plus one from the decks. How many running backs are you carrying? Considering you get that extra on the practice squad, I'd be fine carrying.
Speaker 6: Three, three on the practice, three on the press two because you think about it, you have three on the active roster plus a fullback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got four already. Basically that's fair. Right, So if I was going to do that, I feel like one so one what is a gift?
Speaker 6: So to your point, I would bring back Fan because I'm bringing back I'm bringing him back.
Speaker 1: I want him anyways. But he's your tight end slash fullback. Okay, he did do it.
Speaker 6: So if something was to ever happened with lip right, not only are you gaining a tight end, you're gaining a fullback and you're gaining a core special teamers.
Speaker 4: I'd have two guys.
Speaker 7: I'd have Dalvin Cook if if he's indeed going to be signed.
Speaker 5: And then I can't confirm he will be signed in convert got that text while we were having that exchange thing.
Speaker 1: It's like bring that's like it's definitely news broken.
Speaker 6: The reason like for me, like Dalvin Cook. If he can contribute the way that he used to, then awesome. But I mean, what are you realistically expecting? See, this is maybe eight carries a game, So then why not on a heavy workload? So then why not use the extra the free spot because I'm looking for guys that you're gonna give you flex like I'm looking for flex, Like if you're gonna have a running back by committee, give me a running back like Royce Freeman, who's gonna give me five carries where I need to get down there on the gold line right to go downhill?
Speaker 1: And then guess what he's on every special team? Did you see enough from Nathaniel Pete? Like I like you, No, No, I know, I hear you.
Speaker 6: But if you're gonna do this committee, I'm asking, like, I'm just I did not see enough by him. But the reason why I'm sitting on the table for a Freeman is because of the versatility. If I'm gonna be sharing, if you say you have twenty carries in twenty five carries in the game with you you have three running backs, where.
Speaker 1: Are you going what fifteen ten or not even right fifteen eight? You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: So you're rotating those guys through that nobody's getting a heavy workload. So what else am I getting from you being on the roster today?
Speaker 8: Special teams?
Speaker 6: Exactly? This is not playing special teams. He's gonna play a little bit of special teams. Right, I made a personal protector. Maybe that's about it.
Speaker 3: I'm in the same boat, and I wasn't necessarily on the wish for signing and have been. The One thing with Dalvin Cooks specifically is that he does have that upside. He has a veteran ability to share within the room and within the locker room. I just want to try it at this point. If you're signing him to the active roster, then that's different. I don't want to take up a roster spot from first Dalvin cook But with him being on the practice squad, there's literally no idea.
Speaker 6: I just want people to understand when you have a running back by commit, typically you have a two headed monster.
Speaker 1: We hear that term all the time. You have a starter and you have a second, you have a second second guy.
Speaker 6: Right, So if you had a like old school Zeke and Tony Pollard, neither one of them were going to touch a special team unless it was that kick return. They're not touching kick return. I have two running backs that I know are not going to touch special teams. Now, you cannot afford to have three running backs on an active day roster and that aren't touching special teams.
Speaker 1: You can't afford that.
Speaker 4: I can't do it.
Speaker 1: I agree. I'm with you both, and no, just Deduce Douce can only return for you right now. That's that's all he can do. And you have a pro bowler at red at a return.
Speaker 6: Yes, everybody's gonna say what a kick off return has two returners, Yeah, but the other one's gonna be.
Speaker 5: Blocking and one has to be blocking, which is which is why when that new rule came out, one of the first things we talked about on talking out dren ox Nor was the.
Speaker 1: Added value that gives ric o'dowdele. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And and now when you look at how the depth, when you look at how the shakes out, he you're going to see Rico Dawdle back there you will.
Speaker 3: I think so too. I think you'll see him a little bit. We talked about it a little bit last night. That'll be another conversation for another episode though. Whenever it comes to Douce Vaughn and his role on this team. If he's making a fifty three man roster, spot you a lot. There better be a plan with Deuce Vaughan and what he's doing and what he's bringing. I'm glad he made it because he is a great guy, love his dad, and the whole story behind it is incredible. But at some point you got to contribute if you're gonna be on the fifty three man.
Speaker 8: Acts, as long as it's behind this offensive line. I don't want to see him behind backups, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Just running behind Cooper Baby, Get him on the field. Know that those two guys they kind of know each other. They kind of know each other.
Speaker 1: He's done pretty well behind Take the minute, give me the b.
Speaker 3: Before we get out of here. Before we get out of here, one of shameless plug Isaiah. This weekend, you're making the trip up to Canton, Ohio.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: What are you doing up in Canton.
Speaker 6: I'll be working with NFL Network Steve Wis, Bucky Brooks will be calling the Black College Hall of Fame game. It's gonna be Virginia State versus Benedictte Benedette.
Speaker 1: What day Tom Sunday. How do I don't even don't even know what time.
Speaker 3: I think it's like a one pmk something like that, Sunday afternoon Sunday. Check your local listings, check your local lists.
Speaker 1: We'll be on there.
Speaker 6: It's nationally national broadcast, so that anything on NFL network that day, guys up up in the way.
Speaker 7: And then uh, and then we've got a little game coming.
Speaker 1: Up this weekend. That's a dope pat As, thanks man.
Speaker 4: Yes, how about that?
Speaker 3: Uh, Waburger gave Jerry Jones Classic, the Waburger Jerry Jones Classic. I'll be on the call with heck Ma Harrison who's on Players Lounge. Nick Harris will be on the sideline and we're actually going.
Speaker 1: To be before you on NFL Network.
Speaker 5: Nice, We're gonna We're gonna saying we're gonna be They're Talking Cowboys podcast is going to be nationally televised this weekend.
Speaker 1: Different ways take that boys. There junior varsity and this is varsity.
Speaker 16: Uh.
Speaker 3: North Crowley Lancaster two of the best high school teams in the country. North Crowley talked to their coach Monday. He said they have twenty four Division one offered kids. Twenty four they're loaded and their quarterback committed to the beautiful University of North Texas.
Speaker 4: Baby do mean green.
Speaker 3: So we've got a lot going on this weekend. Be sure to cure up, offered Isaiah. Probably he may.
Speaker 4: They may still eat through forty touchdowns.
Speaker 1: Last because Carson's on the way out. We need we need some qbs.
Speaker 3: Follow Voice of the Star on Twitter, Patrick nocy Walker for everything in terms of Cowboys cuts, Josh W. Rodriguez on Twitter as well, and then I am stand back.
Speaker 4: I am stand back.
Speaker 3: That's gonna do it for us today on Talking Cowboys for Chris Beam in the back, Patrick, Josh, and Isaiah'm Kyle, you women saying so long From the Star on Frisco. We'll see you on Tuesday for some regular season action.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.