Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Well Arie's unveiling a number of new targets the asset management firm, predicting it will booze assets under management to seven hundred and fifty billion dollars by twenty twenty eight. In a statement posted on the company's website, it said, quote, we expect to grow faster than the projected industry average over the next five years. For more, I'm pleased to say we're joined now by Mike Arraghetti he is ARI CEO, and of course Bloomber Zone Shanali Bassk. So Mike, let's start, of course with that target. I have to imagine that the growth of private credit is an important ingredient.
Speaker 3: It is a big driver, and obviously it's a big part of what we do. But if you look over the last five years, when we gave our prior guidance, we said that we were going to grow twenty percent.
Speaker 1: We grew thirty five.
Speaker 3: Private credit was a big part of that, but we've diversified into other big growth areas like real assets, private equity, secondaries, insurance.
Speaker 1: So I think it's a combination of all of the above.
Speaker 4: How do you think about the private credit marketrit large here. You've had so many new entrants, you have billions of dollars flowing into the industry. A lot of investors are looking around now and asking where's the risk.
Speaker 3: Well, you have to everyone defines private credit differently, So when we talk about private credit today, I think a lot of people are specifically talking about corporate direct lending in the US, which is a great market. It's a market that we've led for many, many years, and it is a market that frankly, in my opinion, is still under capitalized, and we.
Speaker 1: Can come back to that maybe.
Speaker 3: But when I think about private credit, we're talking about all self originated private credit, rated, non rated, or ratings are equivalent in corporate, real estate, infrastructure, asset backed opportunistics. So these are huge addressable markets, each of which is growing at.
Speaker 1: A very high rate for structural reasons.
Speaker 3: So we're not really experiencing the market as crowded, and when you look at the performance in the underlying portfolios, we're not actually seeing risk emerging in any of those corners.
Speaker 2: Well, that touches on something that I've been wondering about. Of course, with the growth of private credit, like channel I mentioned all the new entrants. What does deployment look like when it comes to the actual opportunities there to throw money at.
Speaker 1: Well, here's something to think about.
Speaker 3: If you look at fundraising in the private credit market, over the last five years, the top twenty five managers we are at the top of the list, grew the fund to fifty six percent market share in capital raised. Okay, so sixty percent of the dollars are going to a very small handful of people. The five years prior it was roughly half that. So these markets are growing, but they're also consolidating. And so while you're seeing a proliferation of funds, the way that capital is getting raised and deployed, it still still sits with a very small handful of people.
Speaker 1: So if you look at our.
Speaker 3: Deployment, we put out about forty billion dollars a year in our private credit franchise, and that's been consistent for the last three, four or five years, regardless of the raid environment, regardless of the competitive environment.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: Like, as we sit here with you today, it's interesting a lot of investors have a lot of AI on their minds with Nvidia after the bell and I've got to say, in your investor day, you did say the buzzword, how is AI going to drive the future of private credit?
Speaker 3: You know, it's it's still early, and so we've known each other a long time, and whenever something as transformational as AI comes out, we want to make sure that we first understand the opportunity, We want to understand the risk, and then deploy in a measured way.
Speaker 1: But we can't ignore it.
Speaker 3: My view is, at least for private markets investors, the biggest opportunity in AI will be twofold one supporting the digital infrastructure necessary and needed to see the data explosion happen. And that's everything from data centers, renewable renewable power, grid, grid transmission. So that's one big, big theme that market is undercapitalized.
Speaker 1: We're leaning in there.
Speaker 3: And then two is how do we use AI to improve the efficiency and the returns in our own company and in our investment portfolio. We recently made a small acquisition of a team of technologists Bootstrap Labs. We have put them into our corporate strategy group and we're now deploying them into our portfolio to look for opportunities for efficiency. We're deploying them into our middle and back office to try to drive margin expansion, and we're eventually going to set them free on our portfolio companies and data to try to create some underwriting edge. So I think that's going to be the long term fully grill.
Speaker 4: To this holy grail. If you look to this kind of long term push that you're making here to twenty twenty eight adding assets under management, then where do you look to deploy your own capital, not the funds, but investing in the business. Is it the marginal hire or is it the marginal technology expertise here?
Speaker 1: It's both, It's both.
Speaker 3: But we've been very vocal that I think the strategy to win long term in private markets is origination and investment acumen. Now we're going to be able to use technology to support good investment decision making. Any margin enhancement that we can generate through technology, we're going to put back into the investment engine, right because when you're in these large addressable markets, ultimately we win by finding investment opportunities that others can't, and at the end of the day, technology can't do that alone. So my own way of thinking about AI is it is a supplementation of our human capital. It's not a replacement of our human capital.
Speaker 2: Well, overall, how are you thinking about your human capital when you think about some of your AUM goals? For example, do you plan to hire more people to help achieve that?
Speaker 4: And how many?
Speaker 3: I'm going to say yes, plenty, and then I'm going to get back in my phone.
Speaker 1: Is going to be ringing up the hook with people looking for a job? Yeah, clearly.
Speaker 3: If you look at our headcount, we have three thousand employees at areas today, in forty offices in twenty countries. They're all growing because, again, our differentiator is our ability to be in these local markets developing relationships with companies and assets. So by definition, we have to grow our headcount in order to support the AUM target. I think we'll be doing that all over the globe.
Speaker 4: Now, there are some areas that have gotten really hot in private credit. One where you guys have made an early splash is sports. Yes, there's a lot of news around the market about the NFL looking to be open to private equity ownership. How big is that market? Is it even attracted to somebody like you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think the sports media and entertainment as I would describe the opportunity as a huge addressable market We formally entered the business about four years ago in the middle of COVID, identifying that that would be a catalyst for what we thought would be transformational change. So when I reflect back on our thirty years in private credit, it's always been about innovating where there was some form of rigidity in the way that things got financed. And if you look at sports globally, they've typically been financed with bank capital and high net worth investors and nothing in between. And what we've learned over thirty years is the markets will evolve to value innovation in capital structures, and I think that's what's happening in sports.
Speaker 1: So the NFL being one example of many.
Speaker 3: As these leagues are maturing and people are seeing values grow, they're bringing institutional capital into a unlock value in the capital structure, support growth, bring management expertise to the table to help drive continued revenues. So I think we're just getting started. And this is a TAM that did not exist. So you mentioned the NFL. If you say thirty teams times you know, three four or five billion, pick your number one league alone, you can see you start to create one hundred billion dollar equity TAM.
Speaker 1: And so I think we're just beginning.
Speaker 3: To see the you know, the evolution of this, but it's going to open up a whole new market investment opportunity for folks like us.
Speaker 2: I also do want to talk about wealth because obviously that's a big growth driver for you. How do you keep the momentum going, how do you continue to expand your business in that business?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think, Look, there's going to be like all things in our business now, it's consolidating and the consolidation is accelerating.
Speaker 1: I think in wealthy you win with people.
Speaker 3: Ie you need teams around the globe that are supporting the sales and servicing of the wealth investor.
Speaker 1: You need a platform to support it.
Speaker 3: You need product, you need track record, you need relationships with the distribution partners.
Speaker 1: And it's a huge investment.
Speaker 3: We have one hundred and twenty five people with six products that are actually pushing product into the wealth channel. We set it our Investor Day yesterday. We expect our twenty five billion today to grow to one hundred billion. We expect our hundred and twenty five people to go to one hundred and seventy five, and our product set will go from six to likely ten. So again you have to make investments in each of these areas.
Speaker 1: People, product platform.
Speaker 4: Are long term goals twenty twenty eight, you said these goals for but what about the next twelve months. What's the biggest opportunity.
Speaker 1: I think we just got to keep doing what we're doing.
Speaker 3: You know, obviously the transaction market is beginning to open up, deployment is starting to pick up again. The fundraising machine has been working for us, as you've seen in our fundraising numbers in what we by all accounts. You know, here is a difficult fundraising market. So I think every year is about execution. The way that we get to our five year goals is just, you know, keep doing what we're doing, and I think that's what we're focused on.
Speaker 2: Well, Mike, I think that's a good place to leave it. Really appreciates your time today. Out of course, is Mike Arraghetty of Areas, and of course Ploomberg's Shanali Basset