Speaker 1: John's the Stage League bring.
Speaker 2: We will see you.
Speaker 3: To the Garner Welcome.
Speaker 4: One, hang out, absolutely loaded program for you here on this Friday, August fourteenth, Jackie Collin, Peter Raffle arm late you will join us for the back half of the program, and Peyton Genis is here for the whole darn thing, because of course he is. We are doing biggest surprises in the American League and in the National League. We're gonna start with the American League and then we go to give you a weekend preview, and then Arum jumps on to talk about his experience of the field of Dreams gave in Dyersville, Iowa. And then we talk about the hottest hitter going right now, and then we pivot to the NL surprises.
Speaker 5: It's a lot and it's all brought to us by bet MGM. Did your home run bet come up short? Folks? Thanks to this MLB no Sweat home run token, you don't gotta worry if your bet didn't clear the fences. Just activate your token when you bet on any player to hit a home run in any MLB game, and if that player fails to go yard, you get your stake back in bonus bets. Keep the action in scoring position with bet mgm the King of the Big Swing. And if it's your first pick over on bet MGM, remember to use promo code just baseball because of that first pick loses, you get it all back in bonus bets. Jack and I even dabbled on a little NFL preseason action where that's really anywhere we can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great. I'm so happy for you.
Speaker 4: And you're reasoning behind the Falcons over the whoever they're playing is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I took the Falcons plus four against the Denver Broncos. I noticed on bet MGM that the Denver Broncos were the most bet side and I kind of giggled because I was like, Okay, yeah, duh, the Denver Broncos are better than the Atlanta Falcons. Obviously. However, bo Nicks is not going to play. Sean Payton, the head coach of the Denver Broncos, basically came out and said that he's only going to play starters for the first fifteen snaps. And on the Falcon side, you got Kevin Stefanski making his debut at home. He wants to set the tone with a winning attitude in his first year, you know, coaching a new team, coming over from the Cleveland Browns, and while bo Nicks is going to play for Denver, Tua is going to play for Atlanta. But after Tua exits, Cooper Rush is a legitimate starting quarterback, Sam Ellinger who's coming in after Jared Stidham. He hasn't thrown a pass in a regular season game since twenty twenty two. So the assumption that just because the Broncos are better and everybody is better on them, I think it's silly. It's the preseason, it's gonna be backups. They're at home, and I am getting points Jack with the quarterback advantage. Yeah, I'm all over Atlanta for a half unit because it's there.
Speaker 4: I tuned, I tuned out the whole thing. All I saw was the comment here from a Zay Gooby on YouTube, and it asked, who's the guy that said the Padres bullpen is overrated? And that's all I could think of. So I didn't really care about what you were saying football wise, I was just thinking about that atrocious take you had last time out.
Speaker 5: Hey, Hey, you asked, you asked, and I delivered an incredible, incredible analysis and for all those listening, you know where my money's at. But yes, going back to the original point about the Padres bullpen, I do think they're overrated. Overrated doesn't mean they're bad, doesn't even mean they're pretty good. They are through seven.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you think through the twenty seventh best bullpen in baseball.
Speaker 5: See, that's what you do. That's what you spin my words. You spit out something nasty to miss represent my take. My take is the Milwaukee Brewers have a better bullpen in the regular season when you combine all of these openers at the bottom of the Padres bullpen. I'm talking about the totality of the bullpen. They have been a top five bullpen in baseball this season, but they are allotted as the best bullpen in baseball by far. That's my take and I am sticking to it no matter how many people ridicule me on the internet.
Speaker 4: So our YouTube and x crowd. You see me holding this pot right here with my right arm.
Speaker 1: This is me just stirring.
Speaker 4: Stir, stir, stir the pot.
Speaker 1: Stir the pot.
Speaker 5: I can respect some pot starring. I for myself, I can understand you love doing it. If you said that the Padres bullpen was overrated. I might even agree with you, but I would still call you out of the take. So I get where you're coming from. Of course, that's how that works, all right.
Speaker 4: So we're gonna do five surprises each in the American League, and then we're gonna do a quick weekend preview and then we'll get to the back half of the show. We can alternate. I can give you one, you can give me one. Then we can kind of go back and forth, back and forth. That's how I did it with arm earlier today. And you'll hear that conversation in just a matter of moments. But I do want to start and then I'll throw it your way. Does that work?
Speaker 5: That works for me?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 4: So there is a centerfielder that is bawling out and has quickly become, without a doubt, a top five center fielder in Major League Baseball. And I was thinking, this guy is so unbelievably flawed. He will always be fun, and he will always be a microwave, but he will never be a top five center fielder of this sport. Oh my god, was I wrong about said on Rafaela. He is an absolute electric factory man. Rafaela what he is doing at this very moment. I could have never have forecasted coming into this year. Sit on, Rafaela is eighth in all of baseball, tight for seventh in all of baseball with a four point two f four. It's a one seventeen WRC plus. Do you know how hard that number is to accomplis when you're walking at a clip under four percent. He's hitting two ninety, he's slugging four seventy. He's got sixteen homers, he's got sixteen bags, he's kept the ks in check under twenty percent. When he puts the ball in play, good things happen, and he is outside of Pete Crow Armstrong along with guys, and you'll hear you know Mi echo this sentiment in the back half of the episode, like, I think there are a lot of really good defensive centerfielders in the bigs right now. I think PCA is in a tier of his own, and Rafaela is in tier two in his own, and then tier three and they're still elite. I think guys like Ewing, I think guys like Jacob Marci, I think guys like Michael Harris, I think guys like Julio Rodriguez, But there's something to be said about PCA being the best we've seen since Andrew Jones, and then Rafaela being right there, and then everybody else is in the conversation. Rafaela is a I think he's made a superstar jump.
Speaker 5: I love this take. I wouldn't go as far as to say a superstar jump, but to be fair to that take, what else are you supposed to call a top ten player in the sport right now?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: But I think to establish yourself as a superstar, you just got to do it much more consistently. And this is the first season that he's posted in ops above seven to ten, but at the same time it's at seven ninety three. I think it's totally fair to call him like a poor man's PCA. And I don't mean that as a slight to sit on Rafaela at all, because they share similar qualities. PCA is just a better hitter at the plate, but speaking about their approaches at the plate, they're somewhat similar. Now. PCA just has just hits the ball a lot harder than Rafaela does, but they're both free swingers and they're both able to pull the fly balls. In the air, and they're not. While they are free swingers, they're not striking out like twenty eight thirty percent of the time like you mentioned with rafael which is below twenty percent. But the reason I make the comparison to PCA is not only about the approach at the plate, but it's also defensively. Pete Romstrong is the best defensive center fielder in all of Major League Baseball, so non Rafaela is on his tail right. So I agree with you. At twenty five years old, we expected Rafaela to be better. I did not expect him to be a top ten player in the sport by war, I think that's a great call out.
Speaker 4: I love it what you got.
Speaker 5: So I'm going over to the American League Central, and I think the White Sox in general are surprising. I think that could easily be put into this episode. But there's one particular player on the White Sox that I am genuinely surprised about because I remember watching him last year and thinking to myself, all right, he's got a couple pitches here and there, but is he really going to be a mainstay in this White Sox rotation? When you hear about Noah Schultz coming up, and we heard, you know, whispers about Hagen Smith performing. Was Grant Taylor going to be in the bullpen or was he going to be a starter? You already had Davis Martin, you brought in Fetti, you had Anthony k Was Sean Burke going to make an impact this year? Sean Burke over his last ten starts is the best pitcher in the American League over his last ten starts, sixty two winnings, a one six zero ERA with a seventy nine to eleven strike on minus walk ratio. He's got an ERA under three this year, and he has simply been phenomenal over the last two and a half months. Why has he been so great? I think it's because he unlocked two different variations of a fastball to pair with his four seam fastball. Now his four seemer is his best pitch. His knuckle curveball is a phenomenal secondary. But I think the ability to throw a sinker and a cutter this year, which he hasn't really outside of last year. I think he threw a sinker five percent of the time. Now twenty percent of his pitches are sinkers or cutters. I think it allows that breaking ball to play out, but allows that fastball to break out to play up. And we have an ACE right now for the Chicago White Sox. Like Davis Martin had that run at the beginning and has kind of slowed down, Sean Burke has taken that ACE roll and ran with it, and I think has looked even better than Davis Martin has looked at any part of the season. So I got a guy in Sean Burke who went from is he gonna make the rotation too? I'm putting him in conversations right now with Dylan season Cam Schlittler with the way he's pitching, obviously not over the full season, but he's not even that far off. He's been awesome.
Speaker 4: He's been outstanding, And I think Sean Burke is a perfect encapsulation. I think you could go with Burke, you could go with Martin, you can go with Murray Coami, you can go with a whole bunch of different White Socks. The White Sox are the clear cut biggest surprise in Major League Baseball team wise. If we were to make this a team conversation, the White Sox are so far and away number one and I think they trump anybody going in the National League right now. I think Sat Louis is probably number two.
Speaker 5: I was just going to say, they're three wins away from their opening win total on bet MGM from the beginning of the season, and it's August fourteenth. It's August fourteenth, and they're ahead in the division and they have a three game lead.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a huge piece of this. And I'm going to stay on the White Sox actually with my next one, because I've got two bats that are huge surprises for me. Murakami there was a chance that he could have done this right. Twenty six homers, he missed some time with injury. He was on a forty homer pace. He was on a pace that was pretty much leading Major League Baseball or near the top of the leaderboard in Major League Baseball. But everybody knew that he already had generational power. It was just a question of could he transition to major League baseball effectively from Japan. He's answered that yes, we saw traces of a breakout from one of these guys, and we saw an encouraging start to his career from the other one going back to twenty five, but the two offensive seasons and seasons in general that Mydrath and Vargas have put together is absolutely crazy. Miguel Vargas is at this point a legit star. Miguel Vargas has maybe the quietest twenty five homers that we've got. He was an All Star, he had a home run of the freaking All Star Game. He's got a one to twenty five WRC plus twenty five homers, He's scored near eighty runs, he's punching out eighteen percent of the time while walking thirteen percent of the time, and he's a three win player. Meanwhile, my Drath is one of the more underrated players in Major League Baseball. He's twenty five years old, He's got a three point four F four and a one.
Speaker 1: Twenty WRC plus.
Speaker 4: My Drath has been an unbelievable table seter for them, far beyond what I could have ever imagined him being, and Vargas is just a legit middle of the order star for them now. So Murakami is cool, but not as surprising as the continued ascension of Miguel Vargas and the true breakout of Chase Mydrath. In my opinion, Yeah, no, I.
Speaker 5: Think there's plenty of players that you could look at on the White Sox and be surprised about. And I think my draft and Vargas are incredibly pleasant surprises on that White Sox team. And I've talked about my draft, you know, in the past, because with the White Sox, if they really want to compete in October this year and moving forward, you need your studs in the middle. I think Vargas has established himself as that stud in the middle, with Murakami, with Colsa Montgomery. So you have the three guys in the lineup who can leave the yard at any given time, but the teams who win consistently have other guys in the lineup who can fill other roles. And I think my draft is the ultimate role filler, right. He's a good defender at second base, He's a good base runner, has excellent back to ball skills, can lean into a little bit of power. He's kind of your do everything type of player, similar to Sam Antonachi. Like, that's how you build consistent playoff lineups. It's not just relying on three guys waiting for them to hit homers. It's guys throughout the lineup that can fill a job, and my draft is the ultimate example of that. And then on the Miguel Vargas side, he has become the best hitter on the White Sox. Like I know, Murakami just came over and he's really, really exciting. And I know Montgomery has a ton of pop and even plays a really good shortstop, or at least a solid shortstop. But Miguel Vargas is one of the better bats in the American League this year. We remember when he was sitting in the dugout depressed when he came over. Now look at him. Awesome story, so cool. All right, you got three more? I got I got four more. I only did know four more. We've talked about this at length, but I'm not just gonna not talk about it because we've talked about it before. Vladimir grow Junior struggles and the Blue Jays fall from great. Now. I know the Blue Jays are playing better lately, right the Blue Jays have are one and a half games out of a wild card spot right now. But Peyton dropped this stat about Vladimir grow Junior a month and a half ago, Peyton saying that Vladdie's last regular season home run in Toronto at the Rogers Center was August seventeenth of twenty twenty five. It's August fourteenth, twenty twenty six, and that's I assume not counting the playoffs podcast p.
Speaker 4: But that's in the regular not counting the playoffs. Last home run at the Rogers Center was in the ALCS against US.
Speaker 5: Game six against Seattle. In the regular season, it has been basically a calendar year. He has an OPS below seven hundred and why his approach is horrible. The amount of abs that he's given away is just I mean, there's two oh pitches where he's singing, swinging at a slider in the dirt and grounding out pitches. He'll take one down the middle and then he'll swing at ball one. The fishing, the chasing outside the zone is already an enormous problem, and it's bleeding into his contact quality. Jack he has seen a twelve percent drop in hard hit rates since twenty twenty four. Fifty five twenty twenty four, that was one that led Major League Baseball, or at least was one of the league leaders. Now he's at forty two percent, slightly better than league average. A five hundred million dollar first base dh has above average back to ball or contact quality. Come on, and then the Blue Jays obviously falling off from going to the World Series is a surprise, even though they battled back.
Speaker 4: Sure, so, Laddie Junior is twenty seven years old and his per one sixty two pace in his career is twenty eight home runs per one sixty two. Peyton just told us that's a three hundred and twenty five played appearance regular season drop at the Rogers Center. It's so hard to fathom that. And if he were a defensive oriented shortstop, like I could understand that, but it's not that profile. Like if you told me that I'm just plucking a name out of thin air here, Like if you told me that Bryce and Stott had gone a whole calendar year without a home run it since at Citizens Bank Park'd be like, Okay, that's unfortunate, but like it's not crazy, but it would still be surprising, Like it'd still be surprising crazy, but it'd be surprising, Like that's where we're at. It'd still be surprising. But a guy coming off of five straight near twenty five homer seasons, including forty eight in twenty twenty one, should not go a whole healthy year without hitting a home run in his home ballpark. And everything is dropping off here when you take a peek at this, like average exit Vila dropping from ninety two to ninety point one is really hard to wrap your brain around.
Speaker 5: Did you see Spider Man Brand New Day?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: Well, I don't want to give any spoilers, but I assume everybody knows the Hulk is in it. So the Hulk is in it. I'll give you an example. So last year, during the regular season, Vladdie was Professor Hulk, which is still a very big version of Hulk. Some Marvel fans aren't the biggest fan because they want to see Buck Wild Hulk like they want to see Savage Hulk. Spider Man Brand New Day, you get Savage Hulk. And in the playoffs Vladdy went from Professor Hulk to Savage Hulk, and now in the regular season he has gone all the way back down to Bruce Banner. There's no strength at all, He's lost at all, and Marvel fans are already upset a perform as a Hulk. Imagine just a whole movie of just Bruce Banner. That's what we're getting from ladimirg Arao Junior this year. Do you like that analogy?
Speaker 4: I don't understand it, but I believe.
Speaker 5: Well, Peyton's giving me thumbs up, so I think somebody here at least gets it. What's your next surprise?
Speaker 4: All right, my next surprise here. I'm not pivoting to the negatives just yet. I've got two negative and I'm gonna stay on the positive and I'm going to keep my surprises in the American League.
Speaker 1: Central thought Parker Messick was fun.
Speaker 4: I didn't think he was.
Speaker 5: This a good call. I forgot about this one. That's so obvious, A great answer, dude.
Speaker 4: Like I thought he was like, oh, yeah, you know, that's plucky, Like he could probably be the five and that a slayed secone And it's like, no, he's an all star and a front line starter and along with Gavin Williams, that's one of the better one two punches in the American League. Yeah. I mean there's deception, there's Carrie, there's a secondary, there's command of everything that comes out of his fingertips. There's gump shit like there's there's some bizazz on the hill too. Like I just love watching Parker Messix starts and I was thinking like he was gonna be the Plucky five starter, but no All Star and maybe a Game one starter in the DS.
Speaker 5: I think deception is the name of his game. Like when I watch Parker Messix starts, I just have you can almost see it visually, And when I say almost, I feel like I am seeing it. Guys just can't pick it up. It's just on them too quickly, like the amount of ninety two min hour heaters I've seen blown pass guys. I'm like, I know the IVB is in twenty five inches where it's getting insane levels of ride. I know it's a solid fastball, you know, based on the metrics, but it's not so much to the sense where to the hitter they're acting like it's one hundred miles an hour at the top of the zune. I just think guys can't pick it up. So I and that is good moving forward for him, because I don't know when hitters are going to start to pick it up. I think that's just the level of deception that he brings to the He pounds the zone with strikes. He's not afraid of anybody. Really fun picture to watch, and on top of it, he's awesome. I think that's a great call out. He's almost kind of like McGonagall, but a lesser version of that, where they've just been so good all year that I kind of forgot that they weren't supposed to be.
Speaker 4: I can believe that because in the first couple of months we couldn't go an episode without talking about McGonagall or messic and it's like, Oh, these rookies are unbelievable. These rookies are unbelievable. And then all of a sudden it's like, oh, yeah, no, they're just really, really good.
Speaker 5: Yeah the whole time, which is a custimate to them that I forgot because of how good he's been. I forgot the great call out there. I guess I'll stay negative. I have two three negatives, two positives. We already went one over, one positive, Sean Burke, one negative. Laddie in the Blue Jays Fall from Grace is the biggest surprise. You mentioned that it was the White Sox negatively, the Seattle Mariners and Jack cal Rawley's got an O kiss below six hundred. Yeah, I've been you know, you see clips on the internet of you know, the best of the best when it comes to covering baseball. The guys who have been doing it for thirty years, you know, the Rosenthals, the bus are only the passings, the Tim Kirkchins, plenty of them. None of them are able to explain this, and they all say this is one of the most shocking dropoffs they've ever seen. And this comes to us from Mike Petriello. Cal Rawley is having the second biggest decline in MLB history in back to back seasons, minimum of three hundred and fifty played appearances in each year. Rogers Hornsby from nineteen twenty five to nineteen twenty six drop from a twelve forty five ops to an eight to fifty one OPS. That's okay, but dropping from nine to forty eight to five sixty four all the other players, I guess outside of Yasmani Grandhal from twenty twenty one to twenty twenty two, so it can happen to catchers. But this is shocking. I mean, there's how do you even put it into words? Everything is wrong with Kyle Rawley at the plate. So to talk about that everything is wrong, we'd be here for another thirty We could do a whole episode.
Speaker 4: On it, And what's tough is people are trying to diagnose what exactly has gone wrong mechanically, and people are trying to point to a slight turn of his belt where it's like, oh, well it was you know, flat even or at five degree turn, and now it's a ten degree turn. It's the same thing as looking at the landing for schemes to try and explain a five mile an hour decrease in velocity on his fastball. It's like, I just keep coming back to maybe they're just not physically right right now, and that's where I keep coming back to Raleigh. He missed a month with an oblique deal. It seemed brutal, and you just wonder if he's ever felt one hundred percent this year. Like I, there's no exploit nation here because it's so simple. There's nothing to mess up in is swinging. It is set up, There's there's nothing there. He's just off. He's just off at the moment, and it's amazing to see that drop off. So it's been so consistently bad this year that much like Messick, I pretty much forgot about Raleigh being a surprise too.
Speaker 5: The Mariners are eight games under five hundred. They went into the season with the best odds to win the Pennant in the American League. Over the Yankees, over the Blue Jays, who were just coming off going to the World Series, over any team in the Central, over the Red Sox, Astros, Rangers, you name it. They were number one, and now they have the third worst, the fourth worst record in the American League when the American League is at its lowest in a very long time. Yeah, that's not quite as shocking as Kyle Rawley, but it's all tied together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, do you want I armor my bat first? In terms of negative surprises.
Speaker 5: Uh, you're hot with the arms, give me the arm.
Speaker 4: This is kind of cheating because he's only been in the American League for two weeks. But Freddy Peralta stinks this year.
Speaker 5: That counts.
Speaker 1: I mean what.
Speaker 4: It was so hard to watch he pitched himself into a trade to Tampa for like it seemed like next to nothing, to be honest with you, and then I obviously it's a tough landing at Cores and it's Sacramento, but the fact that his first two starts were bombs away in Tampa at Cores and at Sacramento I get how hard that can be. I mean, he's got a five and a half ra in a walk year. I never once expected that fastball Freddy in a walk year from maybe the friendliest team contract in recent memory in Major League Baseball would result in one of the worst walk years that we've seen from a pitcher in recent memory. He's He's near the bottom of every single statistical category for starting pitchers right now. I loved when the Mets traded Form this offseason. That was a great addition. He's so consistent, so consistent.
Speaker 5: So consistent. Freddy is a callback for us. Remember when we were first starting and we were projected plate and Freddy Perlta was the first player that all of us lashed onto, where like the Brewers got something here, and then he just went on this run. We looked like the smartest people all alive. And then this year it's like.
Speaker 4: Oh shit, you know who he is.
Speaker 5: Jack unfortunately, or at least feels like it's trending this way. Zach Gallen, Well, Gallen was unbelievable, very consistent, and then fastball quality went down a little bit, had trouble locating his off speed and breaking balls, and then just gets shelled and Gallen really hasn't bounced back either. I'm very fascinated see what Freddy Pearlton gets on the open market next year. I think he'll probably get a prove it deal, and I think if he had really another great season, like another Freddy Pralta level season, he'd probably get the same contract Ranger did, maybe more. Yeah, and now it's a one year proven.
Speaker 1: Then I'd be a million yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: If this could be an one hundred million dollars swing season for him, yep, brutal.
Speaker 5: Brutal, It's been positive. Now Nick Martinez has a two seven four eer at one hundred and thirty eight ings at one hundred and thirty eight inggs. Everyone's talking about Drew Rasmussen, and deservedly so. He's third in ci Young odds on bet MGM. Nick Martinez should be fourth, but he's not because he's only stroking out seventy eight guys over his one hundred and thirty eight innings. He's only striking out five per nine. However, he's consistently in the zone. He stays off the barrel, and this is just a professional pitcher on the mount like almost like the way Luis to rise as a pure hitter. Nick Martinez this year is a pure pitcher. I even tweeted out your dad's favorite pitcher because the guy who he's not relying on shrikeouts, He's not at one hundred pitches after five innings. He cruises through games. He dares you to hit his stuff, hits his spots, sequences beautifully, can go to a bunch of different pitches and is a huge reason the Rays are in the spot that they are right. They lost Pepiote, mclenahan's been injured lately. You look at the rest of the rotation outside of Rasmussen, there's not a lot to grab onto right now except Nick Martinez, who has been one of the more valuable pitchers in all of Major League Baseball this year. When the Rays signment to that one year deal, I liked it. Right had another arm. He's been okay. In twenty twenty four, he was really solid, but she was three to one. ERA thought it was an underrated pickup. Did I expect this? No, I don't even think the biggest raised fan on Earth expected this. I don't think Eric Neander expected this. But it is a welcome surprise in Tampa.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hear you, man, I totally hear you on that.
Speaker 4: Okay, I've got one more staying in the division, and I go bat in a negative surprise.
Speaker 1: You want to talk bad, walk here for a bet.
Speaker 4: The counting numbers are still fine because he's over thirty stolen bases, he's got seventeen homers.
Speaker 1: But it's a tough spot for.
Speaker 4: Jazz to put up the first season with a sub three hundred on base percentage, Jazz was hoping to get paid. But Jazz Chisholm at this point right now is sitting at a ninety one OPS plus. It's a six eighty seven ops. He's hitting a career wors two sixteen, getting on base at a career worst two ninety six clip. He's slugging a career worse three ninety one. It hasn't been good at all. And the War, dude, he's a sub one War player right now. He's zero point nine b War and he's two point four f F one.
Speaker 1: I don't know how.
Speaker 5: They're so far apart defense. It's the way each version of War is grading out the defense. Yeah, regardless, he's been a disappointment. I watch him every single day, and the at bats just get real bad. And the problem is when the Yankees are good and Jazz Chisholm was really playing, he adds such a dynamic factor to the Yankees that hasn't really been replicated by any player that I've seen in the last five years. The speed, the flare, the power that he brings. When he's good, he's real good. When he's bad, he's real bad. And he's been real bad for this entire season. Defensively, he's been pretty good. Offensively, he's been one of the biggest problems on the Yankees and a reason why the Yankees are in the bottom ten of ops this season.
Speaker 4: Peyton just dropted for US out's above average, He's plus ten defensive run safety's been minus seven. So it just depends what your flavor of the month is. But Jazz dude, like, I was just expecting a way better walk here, because as this guy was the type to play himself into a near two hundred million dollar contract.
Speaker 5: I was actually thought you were gonna when you were giving out the stats, I was like, Damn, does Jared Duran really have thirty stolen bases? Because Jared Duran is a sixty four WRC plus I don't mean to say that as a biasa Yankee fan, like, hey, look at the Red Sox player. No, I just feel like Duran being even worse is a little bit more surprising than Jazz. But at the same time, like Jazz Chisholm came into the season telling us he was going to go fifty to fifty, yeah, right, and that he was going to get a monster contract, Duran didn't do that, right. No.
Speaker 4: I think we thought Duran was going to be good, not great, and here he is being bad and Jazz we were expecting to be really, really good, one of the best in baseball. You had him as the second best second basement in the big leagues this here, and I believe that's just not the case.
Speaker 5: Not even close, maybe top twenty. I got the two, right, I just had to add another zero. That was why, all right? My last one is Jack. If I told you at the beginning of the season the Sacramento A's we're gonna be the worst team in baseball, you probably would have been like, that's a stupid take On Twitter. We would have ran with it and been like, Peter is such an idiot, And yet here we are and I'm not saying I had to take at the beginning of the season that the A's would be here. But they are forty seven and seventy four with a negative one hundred and eighty run differential. Both those marks are worse than the Rockies, is worse than the Angels. It's worse than the Royals, which is another surprise to me, how bad the Royals have been so far. But the A's came into the season with some hype, right, Yeah, had Luis Severino, you had Jeffrey Springs, you had a couple of nice young pitchers. You had to line up with Nick Kurtz and Tyler Soderstrom and Lawrence Butler and Brent Rooker and Jacob Wilson. They were one of the most bet teams to go over the win total of this season, and now they're the worst team in Major League Baseball. The lineup is Nick Kurtz and friends currently, and the rotation it's Gauge Jump, JT Gen and you and I and Arum. Yeah, and the bullpen's got nobody in it.
Speaker 4: Jack bulpens back Jack Perkins, I like, But what I mean Perkins is starting games for them exactly.
Speaker 5: He's been back and forth so it's just hard to believe they're the worst team in Major League Baseball, and how a lot of people have talked about how bad they've been lately, like lately, as the Red Sox are going thirty one and seven in their past thirty eight, the A's are on the complete opposite end of that spectrum.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Now, they have been absolutely decimated by injury. I'll give them that. Where like Kurtz, I saw his thumbs immobilized, they're the rest of August because he's got he got a PRP injection in his thumb or something like that. I just thought the word immobilized was crazy. But Kurtz has the thumb thing. He's probably out for the entire year. Langeliers is done, he had Nies had a scope done. What July Corona Grower he's out obviously, that was just awful. Denzel Clark he's been out. Brent Rooker he's out for the year. He had a scope done on his knee as well. So you're running out of lineup right now. Of Lawrence Butler's seventy eight WRC plus and if you were to highlight one guy that has been the key underwhelming aspect of that team, it's probably Lawrence Butler. Jacob Wilson is a close second, who's got a sub one hundred WRC plus it's it's just not going well. Like Donovan Walton's playing second base for them. Things aren't going right a lot, like he's always in the lineup. Yeah, always always, So those are my love it time for the weekend preview.
Speaker 5: Let's do weekend preview. So the weekend Preview is brought to you by the Picket Sports App, the easiest adreading in the world because they use it freaking every day, and the Picket Sports app is the best place to not only track your picks, but also find the best lines across all available sports books, so you can always get the best line. And if you sink your sports book using promo code just Baseball, even if you've only made one bet, it is the easiest thing in the world today to make between three to one hundred bucks. It's kind of a roulette wheel. You could win three, you could win eight, you could win ninety one, you could win one hundred, you could win sixty four, you could win any number between three to one hundred bucks. When you sink your sports book, if you're a sports better. You absolutely should do it. If you're not a sports better, but you've only placed one bet and you want to just make a little bit of money today, make sure to use promo code Just Baseball again on the free Picket Sports app. It's another reminder you have to pay for a lot of odd screens. There's other paid apps where you track your bets. This is all free. That's why it's the easiest add to read in the world, because it's the best pick tracking app in the world. Download the Picket Sports Book or Picket Sports app excuse me today and using promo cod just Baseball. All right, let's get into our games. But I'm sure you want to, uh, you want to introduce them to me?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got you. And then you give me a winner here and we will start with a hell of a pitcher's duel in Cincinnati tonight at six ten pm, Sandy al Contra on the Marlins against Chase Burns and the Cincinnati Reds. Burns is coming off of a tough start, but before that was awesome. Meanwhile, Sandy al Contract coming off of three straight scoreless starts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I want to give the Reds a lot of credit they've been playing better baseball. They have clawed back in this thing, and they have Chase Burns on the mound, and it's at home. It's a tough opponent to go up against, but you already mentioned it. Sandy has thrown three straight scoreless outings, and he has sparkling numbers against the Reds current roster over eighty seven plate appearances, shrekking out twenty five percent of batters to twenty two opponent batting average with a two sixty one x WLOBBA, which is incredibly low, which basically means the quality of contact against Sandy is really really poor, as evidenced by the average eggs of velocity of only eighty five miles an hour. So I think Sandy's gonna shove Chase Burns probably has a nice start. I don't mind the under but if you're telling me the Marlins are plus money, that'd be.
Speaker 4: The side of them on okay seven to ten in Cleveland, Michael King and the red Hot Padres against an absolute stud in Gavin Williams and the Guardians.
Speaker 5: Shocking price here that the Padres would be plus one twenty or higher. But I kind of understand why, kind of feels like a letdown spot for the Padres. They have been playing excellent baseball, but what comes up must come down, and you have Gavin Williams at home. The Guardians need these wins. Not to say that the Padres don't either, but the Guardians are starting to fall kind of out of this. Not the best series against the Tigers. This is a focused spot for Cleveland, not saying that the Padres are better. If you're telling me is Michael King versus Gavin Williams. I'm choosing the Padres, but I really like the Guardians in this spot, which is why I'll go with them.
Speaker 4: Okay, last one that we've got on Friday at seven fifteen in Atlanta, Chris Sale against the red hot Brandon Fott.
Speaker 5: Fascinating matchup and another price that I'm just shocked by. You're telling me the d Backs are plus one eighty five. I get it. It's Sale. He's unbelievable. The Braves one of the best teams in baseball at seventy three and forty eight, but the d Backs are sixty four and fifty eight, and Brandon Fott has been pitching out of his mind and the d Backs opponent batting average against Sales two fifty five over one hundred and sixteen played appearance. It's not like Sale has absolutely obliterated them. I think the d Backs are gonna compete, So I'm gonna go big underdog hunting. Give me Arizona.
Speaker 4: Which game are you less interested in? Seth Lugo and Grayson Rodriguez in Royals Angels or Kyle Frieland and Landon Rupe and Rockies Giants.
Speaker 5: I'm just gonna go Angels Royals just because we're only five wins away from hitting my biggest MLB future Rockies over fifty two and a half wins. So I've been watching so much Rockies baseball, just kidding get fired up with all of our friends of the discord. It is actually so much fun because whatever they win, you could throw a parade, and whenever they lose, it's like, ah, it's the Rockies, let's get it tomorrow. Like so basically, no matter what, like you're having fun. So I'll be watching that game.
Speaker 4: I hear you two Saturday games that we got to give you here. First one is going to be in Pittsburgh between the Red Sox and the Pirates. Sonny Gray against Jared Jones, who had a rough start last time out.
Speaker 5: So I wanted to bring this one up too, not only because it's a great pitching matchup, but our friends of ballpark Pal again another reminder, go check out ballpark Pal. It's one of the best public models. Literally out does a great job with the weather and they make the Pirates a slight favorite here. Now it's closer to a coin flip, but they're banking on a Jared Jones bounce back. But Sonny Gray has just been too damn good. So for any betters out there, there might be some value on the Pirates when this line comes out. And I'm gonna trust our friends at ballpark Pal give me the Jared Jones bounce back and the Red Sox coming to Pittsburgh thinking they got an easy win. Nope, go Buckos.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 4: Brewers Dodgers the Series of the year at Dodgers Stadium at seven fifteen Eastern time on Saturday. Jacob Mizarowski against Justin Robleski.
Speaker 5: Well, last night I assume you saw this as well, and when Diaz blowing that save and you know who, what was funny? I feel like Cubs fans were more upset at Edwin Diaz online than Dodger fans were upset Edward.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I believe that the Cubs are trying to catch the Brewers, and I understand it. It's an awesome division race. Robleski is in big trouble in the second half. He's just completely fallen off a cliff as I thought was a was potentially going to happen if you looked at all of his underlying metrics. I just thought there was no way he could continue. And Misowski on the other side, I mean, good freaking luck. Give me the Brewers.
Speaker 4: Okay, now we got three more on Sunday to table on the weekend preview here, let's go to Toronto. Yeah, Toronto at one thirty seven Eastern on Sunday afternoon, Dylan Cease takes the ball in his home ballpark against lefty Ryan Weathers.
Speaker 5: Ballpark. Powell has the Blue Jays as minus one sixty one favorites. Love Ryan Weathers. I think he's been pitching great, But Cease is going for that cy Young. I think he's gonna dominate here. I'll take the Jays.
Speaker 1: If I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 4: Toronto has been one of the worst teams in baseball against left handed pitching. So something good underplay, good underplay. There you go. Okay, two more that we got to give you here, yep, late afternoon Eastern time in La Logan Henderson and the Brewers against Trek's Schooble and the Dodgers. I made the joke to you guys. I think the barber should call louis paying you up for this one, just like play the theorized package against Errek Schooble.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 4: I hope they do that they won't.
Speaker 5: Ballpark pal basically makes the Dodgers huge favorites sixty five percent, but I just got a gut feel that the Burers figure this one out. Scooble has not quite looked like Tik's Schooble. He's looked like Terrek Scooble, and I think you hear that. You kind of know what I mean. Still incredibly good, still awesome, but not at the peak of his powers. And the Brewers can beat anybody. And I like how their lineup matches up against left handed pitching. I obviously love Logan Henderson, and it feels like the Dodgers might get some revenge over the next two days. And then the Brewers close it out on Sunday. So I think if you're looking for a big time underdog, I like Milwaukee on Sunday cool.
Speaker 4: And then Sunday Night Baseball, Brian Wu on the road for the Mariners against Hunter Brown and the Houston Astros.
Speaker 5: Yeah, give me the Ashros. But Brian Will actually looked really good against the Yankees on the road. Maybe he's starting to figure out those problems. It is close to a pick and price. You know what, Let's fade that narrative. Give me the Mariners.
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 5: Can they get it done? Probably not, but they need people back at them right now, and I'm willing to do so.
Speaker 4: Second half of the program is coming up in a moment. Again, we talked to arm Layton and Dyersville, Iowa. We also have Griffin Conine conversation, and then we get to our NL surprises. But before that, all right, nothing quite like a little line change here. Instead of Peter rappolet's Arm Layton for the back half of the program. Arm Layton from Dyersville, Iowa with a hoodie on with his USA Baseball hat that Lids was nice enough to ship us. That hat is absolutely sick I will be wearing at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's got This is one of the most frequented ones.
Speaker 6: Also, mart no hoodie, dude, I have no temperature control of this Airbnb.
Speaker 2: Like I messaged the lady, I'm like, how do I make this warmer?
Speaker 6: She's like, you can turn the heater on that's separate and and it'll counteract it.
Speaker 2: It's not and also it smells weird.
Speaker 6: It stuck a sixty two pumping max effort, and I'm like, I've been freezing for three days straight.
Speaker 2: I'm looking forward to getting home.
Speaker 4: Though.
Speaker 6: It has been a very charming town here. I do really like. I do like it out here.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 4: So you were at the Field of Dreams game, you were at the Field of Dreams Minor League game, and were you at the under Armer All American game as well?
Speaker 2: I skipped that.
Speaker 6: I went to Cedar Rapids to see the Wisconsin timber rat Words versus the Cedar Rapids Colonels. That was a good time, though two hour rain delay, but it was. It was a lot of fun just to see some more top prospects. Braykln Paine just got promoted Brewers, you know for first round picking record to double a so some one of his last HIA games.
Speaker 2: So that was fun. And uh yeah, so I got my two minor league games.
Speaker 6: One big league game works out nicely, and I thought about the All American Game, but I was like, I don't need to see kids throwing max efforts, spraying the ball.
Speaker 2: Might see a couple based knocks and call it a day.
Speaker 4: What do you mean you weren't fired up for a hunter Pentce's nephew, Striker. That's a stri name. It's a sick name, especially when you throw one hundred. That was the one thing I was kind of like, Man, I wish I was there for that, but I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot more of striker pants. Also shout out Calvin, uh, broadcaster for the Colonels. Yeah, gave me a ton of awesome hospitality, got tour of the whole ballpark.
Speaker 2: It's historic, it's absolutely awesome.
Speaker 6: And you know, we kind of killed the Indela together, so and enjoyed that with him. He's a great broadcaster. Looking forward to seeing you know what's ahead of him too.
Speaker 4: Calvin Christophoro, who is the voice of the Cedar Rapids Colonels. Following a you know, great line of w A E. R Sports director since Syracuse, New York, that MPR station. So me and Calvin Christophoro have that in common. So it's fun. Man, I love it. So I want to hear a little bit more about Dyersville, Iowa, and then I've got something for you, and then we're gonna obviously pivot to the back half of this program and biggest all biggest surprises so far in the National League. But I mean, this is probably the longest you've ever been in Iowa in one single sitting.
Speaker 1: It's also like really cool. I think the.
Speaker 4: Dyersville thing was awesome again, and I think the I think the Kevin Costner stoic thing is is.
Speaker 1: A little overplayed.
Speaker 4: But I do love the corn element of all this. What did you make of the experience in Dyersville.
Speaker 6: I you know, I was wondering how much like Kevin Costner we were gonna get And I had nothing against him, but you know, I was like, we could do without maybe like the played out like movie scenes that they did a really good job of not doing that. It was you got the teams coming out of the corn that was awesome, you know. But I think then the hall of Famers coming out. No one was really expecting that unless I was totally had my head, you know, in the in the wrong area of the cornfield.
Speaker 2: It's like I had no idea. So that was really cool.
Speaker 6: And I mean to see twenty six Hall of Famers and I mean some of my all time favorites, some guys that I haven't thought of it a little bit, and everything in between was was absolutely awesome. The other part is I'm in like just outside of Dyersville and Farley. It's just one of those little talents where it's like one little mini main street where it's like two bars, a little bowling alley. You see like little girls running with their dog, like you know, by themselves.
Speaker 2: It's safe, like back from school.
Speaker 6: You see another little kid, you know, go into the bowling alley and they leave their bike outside and just run into the bowling alley. And I'm like in South Florida, that bike is snatched like quickly. So there's just so many little things like that. It's just like you feel like you're almost in a time machine. Everyone here is so nice. And then the field itself, I think the thing that stood out to me more than anything was like you know, it's a movie set at the end of the day, So I was like, I was kind of wondering if it was gonna teeter on gimmicky a little bit, and not even in an incredibly negative way, like it's it's just like you're building a stadium for major League Baseball players to be able to play in in Cornfield's next one movie set, Like odds are, it's gonna look a little bit out of place, And I thought they did a really good job of like making it feel really authentic, like it was Cornfields as far as I could see. The stadium obviously had the accommodations required for a major League Baseball game, but it also felt very like pure and and and like you know, simple, which I thought made the whole thing really really special.
Speaker 2: And I'm glad that they're gonna be doing this. It seems like every year moving forward.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is cool.
Speaker 1: And I think baseball and baseball movies.
Speaker 4: In particular have this level of marriage that like the other sports just don't you know. I remember The Titans is a really good movie, and The Replacements is a really good movie, But like, I just don't think football movie when I think about football with basketball. I mean Thunderstruck that Kevin Durant. What is a Jim Belushi one at stunk out Loud? I'm thinking of the Common Queen Latifa just right. I think that's what that was called. Do you remember that one where Common.
Speaker 2: Was the better basketball movies than that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, like Mike obviously Coach Carter, Coach Carter.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But like I'm just saying the marriage between the Baseball movie and Baseball itself. Like every person that has ever played baseball has watched The Sandlot. Every person that has ever played baseball has probably watched Field of Dreams. Like the natural Rookie of the Year, They're all up there. The rookie is up there with Dennis Quaid. I love bench warmers. A lot of young kids love Moneyball at this point too, so it's it's really cool to see them lean into the Baseball movie aspect of it. I think Rickwood Field is really important, and I hope they play a game at Rickwood every year.
Speaker 1: I think Williamsport is a cool dynamic.
Speaker 4: I thought the Bristol Motor Speedway was interesting, but I think if we had three specialty games every year, it should be Rickwood.
Speaker 1: It should be Williamsport and it should be Dyersville, Iowa.
Speaker 6: One hundred percent agree because this was the last thing I mentioned on this is like it was a reminder of like why we do this whole thing anyways, like what.
Speaker 2: Baseball is all about?
Speaker 6: As clichs it sounds like you took to exit the stadium all the fans, Like you go out through like this passageway, like that's cornfields on both sides.
Speaker 2: But then you walk you have to walk through a little.
Speaker 6: Bit of corner, little patch of cornfields, literally through the corn and you pop out into the movie set baseball field, right, and like when you pop out onto that field, you see the house, you see the baseball field, and you just see fathers and sons or even you know, mothers and sons or husband and wife playing catch and and just running around on the field. And it was just like this moment of holy crap, like this is the whole point of this whole thing. And you know, for it to be a major League baseball game where there's there's implications and like both teams are trying to make the playoffs blah blah blah, and they you know, played hard in their focus on that, but you still walk out and you see all these things as well.
Speaker 2: It was that was a really special moment, I.
Speaker 6: Think checking in and realizing like just just what the sport is all about.
Speaker 4: I thought it was really cool to see Roger and Cody Clevens play catch. Yeah, I thought that was awesome, so dark cool. We're going to get to the National League here in a moment. But before that, I want to do a dramatic reading of the of the top ten. Yeah, let's go, yeah, you know what, let's go top eleven because eleven is really good. The top eleven in terms of OPS and Major League Baseball.
Speaker 1: This year minimum one hundred and seventy played appearances.
Speaker 4: You ready, Yeah? At number eleven, Aaron Judge of the New York Yankees at number ten, Kyle Schwarber of the Philadelphia Phillies at number nine, Wilson Contreras of the Boston Red Sox at number eight, Pete Crow Armstrong in the Chicago Cups. Number seven is Junior coming Era of the Tampa Bay Rays. Number six shout out at Smerle Valdez the Pittsburgh Pirates. James Wood of the Washington Nationals is number five. Shoheo Tani of the Dodgers is number four, Griffin Conine of the Miami Marlins is number three, Juan Soto of the Mets is number two, and your Don Alvarez is number one. Griffin Conine is third in baseball minimum one hundred and seventy played appearances in ops.
Speaker 1: At nine forty four.
Speaker 4: He is hitting the absolute crap out of the baseball right now. It's been insanely, ridiculously fun to watch this guy do what he does. And as you sit there in Dyersville, Iowan, you watch this guy tack yet another baseball and even in an underwhelming day, he smokes in one hundred and five mile an hour single. How proud are you just as a friend of what this is doing.
Speaker 2: Dude, I'm fissed.
Speaker 6: I missed the homestand I mean it was it was fun to be out here, But I mean everyone says this, and obviously, like you're gonna see it more closely when it's somebody that you see more frequently and are are are I think more intertwined with. But like, I don't think there's a lot of guys, even in a big league clubhouse anywhere, that are that are working as hard as he does, and I mean like to see the success that he's having at the highest level. And now, like I've got a pretty good sample of him being aft being a really good Major League baseball player here, even with the two brief samples last year, you canbine last year in the year before you combine it. Now, No, we've got a decent amount of plate appearances here, about three hundred and fifty of him being thirty percent above league average thirty two if you want to be exact. And then this year finally playing every day, being healthy, you know, just putting up the video game numbers that that we've seen from him. He works his absolute butt off. He works on the physical side harder than anybody. The mental side. Uh, He's always trying to get better and better and better. And I think the biggest thing you know with him is you look at there was a point in double A where he was punching out forty percent of the time. I mean, in a forty two game sample in twenty twenty one, he struck up forty seven percent of the time. How many guys would have just said, no, that this is this is probably it. I'm not gonna be able to hit enough, like people aren't gonna believe in me whatever it may be. Nope, he's figured it out and just kept grinding and kept getting better and kept getting better and to now have it click this way at the highest level. Man Like, we're talking about bigger surprises in the National League, like this should be. And I wouldn't say I'm surprised that he's having success in the major leagues, but man, to be with those names over a decent sample size, I'll tell you, like, even I'm surprised, and I thought that this guy could do just about anything.
Speaker 4: It's unbelievable, like honestly, and I hate that word used so commonly, Like I hate how often the word unbelievable is thrown about. But the top four and ops again minimum one hundred and seventy played appearances, Jordon Alvarez, Juan Soto, Griffin con and Shoheo Tani. That's ridiculous to see his name in there with Jordon, Soo and Otani. But this guy, man Like, it's so much fun to watch him on a heater. And the coolest thing about Griff and Conine is, you know, we've got what like north of fifty games now as a sample. He missed about two months there with hamstring surgery. I'm pulling up the exact game total this year, Uh, griff has played fifty five games. Like we've got a sample here of a heater and a quote unquote like reactlimization where he was slightly cold at the outset. What's so cool about him is the cold spell quote unquote lasts three games instead of ten for other power bats. And he's still putting the ball in play, and he's still walking, and it's still a quality at beat. He has this marriage of grinding it bats and also hitting the ball one hundred and fifteen miles an hour that very few guys on the planet can do.
Speaker 2: I think his last eight batted balls are one oh three or higher.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think the.
Speaker 6: Hard hit rate is creeping towards sixty percent. And this has been in a stretch rights five games. It's not thirty games, it's fifty five. That's the craziest part in the stretch. Like through this stretch recently he told me he's like, I gotta be better with two strikes, Like I'm gonna try to take a little off it with two, and him taking a little off it with two has been like one O six is one O sevens with two strikes. So it's like that the power that he has and just being able to again like do these little things, to be able to chip away at the whiff because he was always gonna be a guy that could get away with because of the ridiculous, ridiculous power that he brings to the table, like eighty great row power. But just to see what he's been able to continue to do on that side is just amazing. So uh man, I again, I can't and the expectations to and like, you know the fact that it's with the Marlins and his dad and there's so many other pressures, and he's helped the Marlins with so many guys going you know, guys going down offense, sputtering a little bit, like help this team stay in it and help snap the losing streak. Like there's so many different, you know, special moments within it. And again, I'm just so happy for the dude because I don't know very many people that are working as hard as he is at anything, and he absolutely deserves it.
Speaker 1: He's amazing, man, just absolutely amazing.
Speaker 4: All right, without further ado, let's get into the national league side of our surprises here we each have five. I figure we can alternate, so I'll let you go first because you're the one in Iowa right now, and then me sitting in Cincinnati, I'll go second. So we'll go your surprise, my surprise, your surprised, my surprise, until we get to five each.
Speaker 2: Yep, let's do it. Let's do it.
Speaker 6: So, I mean, we kind of alluded to one, but I think, you know, a little bit larger of a sample he qualifies for. I think it's almost a lot large enough sample with the griff, But you know, I think I think in general, he could be a great.
Speaker 2: Shout for this.
Speaker 6: But I'll start with with some guys that you know, we've been watching since the start of the year, and Jordan Walker's got to be my first, you know, biggest surprise so far. Jordan Walker is another one where it's like the skill set is so is so good. I don't think anybody shocked that he figured it out, right, Like I'm not shocked that he's done this, but I think it's important to remember, like it was ugly for Jordan Walker, man, Like it was ugly, and I know that it didn't mean it was over for him. But I did think that maybe if he figured it out, it was going to be a change of scenery. It was going to be maybe a step in the right direction. And then we have the year that he's having this year, maybe next year, but to have the one thirty WRC plus twenty three homers. By the way, he's sixteen for twenty one on stolen basis, Like he's cut the strikeout rate by more than seven percent.
Speaker 2: He's walking a little bit more than he ever has.
Speaker 6: Really, this was a dude that is sixty six WRC plus and four hundred played appearances last year, like plenty of runway and just was not good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in trip play didn't even look very good at points.
Speaker 6: It was the seventy two WORC plus one hundred and seventy eight play appearance appearance is in twenty twenty four. Like, this is a pretty remarkable jump. And I know he's just twenty four years old. He was twenty three stone opening day, and so like everything makes sense, and you can absolutely be like, well, you should have been patient with them, Like yeah, and.
Speaker 2: I agree, we should be paid with him.
Speaker 6: And this is validating for all the people that didn't waiver in their belief in Jordan Walker. But when the sample size got that big for that bad, I thought there was still a path to being a good major League baseball player. I didn't even think there'd be a path to, you know, one of the premier young power bats right away in the game, who also won the Derby and just looks like this more complete hitter in general that I still think is only going to get better and better from here. Just the leap so significantly this year was a surprise for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love that shout, and Walker was a guy that did cross my mind absolutely because it was good and that it was so bad and that it's good I highlighted, and my first two surprises really have to do with the ascension of guys like taking that next step. One of them is twenty five years old and one of them like just took that first step and it's huge. But the first one that I have for you that along a not entirely similar but somewhat similar line of thinking as CJ.
Speaker 1: Abrams.
Speaker 4: Abrams taking this step into superstardom for me was not shocking, but it surprised me because this guy was establishing consistency and Walker was unfortunately consistently unproductive for the Cardinals. Abrams was consistently like productive for the Washington Nationals and CJ. Abrams was the topic of interest for so many trade conversations and so many trade rumors that we discussed on the Just Baseball Show this offseason. It's like, Okay, is he going to go play second base for the New York Yankees? Is he going to go play second base for the Pittsburgh Pirates. We were having that conversation. It's like, what does the return look like? Is at the number ten prospect and the number four prospect? Now it's like, oh no, he's just a superstar and the biggest number that jumps out in twenty six games after the All Star break, he has transformed that narrative of slow finisher to an OPS over one thousand since the break this year. He's been one of the best players in baseball after the All Star break this season, when he was one of the worst over the last couple of years. Season long ops is first three seasons in Washington, first three full seasons, and again established consistency. He hit two forty five with a seven to twelve, and twenty twenty three he hit two forty six with a seven forty seven and twenty four. He hit two fifty seven with a seven forty eight and twenty five, and now he's hitting two eighty four within eight ninety eight. In twenty twenty six, he's already nine beyond his career high with twenty nine homers. He's leading Major League Baseball and RBIs. He's pacing for another thirty stolen bases. He's already a career high in walks drawn, and he's already at a career high in slug by over one hundred points. At five point forty one, he's forty points clear of any OBP number he's ever put up. It's amazing to watch what this guy has done in his age twenty five season. And again it's not shocking because it's always been in there, but there was a level of consistency, and it's like, you know, we might know who CJ. Abrams is, we didn't know who CJ. Abrams was.
Speaker 6: I'm with you one hundred percent on this one because the first half didn't surprise me. I think seeing him just keep it rolling here has been where it's just you're seeing him click it into another gear here and there's a lot of reason to believe.
Speaker 2: That it's just going to continue.
Speaker 6: And yeah, I think the defensive side of things is an interesting conversation eventually, but that's not what we're like, we're here to talk about right when you got a nine hundred oh ps, so you'll you'll, we'll figure it out defensively. But he has a shot at you know, like get close to forty here, Uh, he's going to steal thirty plus bags like to do that. And a year after we saw him take what it looked like a step forward, but then then you looked at the end of the year numbers and it was the same exact ops. So it was almost an identical slash line. So to see him now sustain that and take this big leap, like I continue to say, I think a big part of it is the improved infrastructure in Washington, Like I think Abrams has a lot more information at his disposal, and I'm sure that's helping him just be a more consistently solid and I'm sure the.
Speaker 1: Training practices are better too.
Speaker 4: I want to highlight a guy, Tyler Smarslock, who's their new field coordinator, who was the infield coach in Miami. He was a wizard last year. I bet he's like really helping out daily process for CJ.
Speaker 1: Abrams. So I just wanted to give him a quick shot.
Speaker 6: Yeah, one hundred percent, And I think that's It's just he has to be one of those surprises too, just because I even I never thought that the best version of him would be a guy that was flirting with forty. So I think even from that lens alone, it's just been really cool to see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one hundred percent, what you got next?
Speaker 2: I gotta go with.
Speaker 6: Edward Rodriguez as as my other surprise, just because look, we've seen good e Rod before, but he was in the bucket for me of like, all right, this, this might be it, right, Like the best days might be behind this guy. That contract is not going to age well, like yeah, so on and so forth with Erod, and you know, you just don't really imagine that it's gonna be in Arizona where he gets that contract right and that he ends up figuring it out and making it happen.
Speaker 2: It kind of seemed like that would be the sunset for him.
Speaker 6: You know, when you look in the National League among pitchers with at least one hundred innings pitched. He's seventh in era and reminding you like he's doing that in Arizona and having to pitch a little bit, you know in some of these ballparks, like even cores a little bit more than the average pitcher or whatever it may be.
Speaker 2: He's been just as consistent as can be. The peripherals aren't great.
Speaker 6: They never really are that great sometimes with him that he's he's just been that executioner, that guy that just you expect to regress and hasn't regressed. Now over twenty four starts. It's a two point seven era. Yeah, he's only striking out six and change per nine. Doesn't matter. We're watching this guy go super deep into games. I just watched him the other day throw one hundred and fifteen pitches and retire. Show heo Tani for the third time on his one hundred and fifteenth pitch. The first two at bats, he punched him out and made him look silly, Like this guy has been a quality start for them, you know, consistently consistently all year. We have two eight plus inning you know outings already. Then we have one, two, three, four, five, six seven inning outings as well, and then another like seven or eight six inning outings like he has been someone that has preserved this bullpen. I think part of the reason why this bullpen has been so good this year is that they've you know, they've been insulated when Erod is on the mound through a lot of turbulence in that diamondback's rotation. And I don't know where the dbacks are without without Erod, who is nearly halved his ERA from last year five point h two, last year five point oh four and a smaller example of the year before, but two point seven zero this season.
Speaker 4: On the ra side, they're not close to where they are with uttered Wire Rodriguez, especially with Gallon being as underwhelming as he was for the front half of the year, Merril Kelly not being anywhere close to the Meryl Kelly that they were banking on. They needed Eduardo Rodriguez to step up in a big way, and at Water Rodriguez stepped up in a humongous way. So I love that shot. Pitching wise, I've got another pitcher for you, and it's a guy making the jump to stardom.
Speaker 1: Way way way way, way, way way quicker than I was ever anticipating.
Speaker 4: Him doing the Chase Burns ascension happened far quicker than I was anticipating it's to happen. Chase Burns like last year as a swingman, forty three innings at a four to six era, I understand that the fip looked really good at two six five. I understand that he caid sixty seven and walked sixteen. So those underlying numbers looked really darn good for Chase Burns. But the jump this year. No one should be putting up these kind of numbers this quickly a great American ballpark when you have a bottom five ground ball rate among qualified starting pitchers, Chase Burns one hundred and twenty four innings is thirteen and two with a two six And I just look at record in the ra and I'm like, holy smokes, you shouldn't be doing that this quickly. He was an all star punching out ten and a half per nine. He's walking fewer than three and a half per nine. And the big one that jumps out to me is thirteen homers in one hundred and twenty four innings when he's fifty percent four seem like he's keeping the ball in the ballpark. And it's a similar conversation to the Hunter Green breakout, because Green, when he broke out, it's like, how is he doing? How's he keeping the four seamer ballpark at that place? And it's just happening.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: It happens with flawless execution. This guy is putting it where he wants constantly. That slider is a top ten pitch in baseball by run value and burns like in terms of major League rank. So the fifty eight qualified starters in baseball again, the fourth lowest ground ball rate at thirty five percent, but he's tied for thirty and wins. He's trailing only Christopher Sanchez and Sonny Gray. He's top ten in k rate, he's sixth in batting average against. Opponents are rating two zero four against him. He's third and average fastball velocity at ninety seven to seven. The only two guys that are in front of him are Miserowski and Schlitler among qualified starters. He is dogging with the fastball and the slider's got a fifty one percent with rate. It's been incredible to watch this guy go to work this quickly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's another fun one where I just.
Speaker 6: On the pitching side, Like, do you feel like that some of the pitching performances this year have been more surprising overall or the hitting.
Speaker 1: I think pitching I find more.
Speaker 4: I find more surprises on the pitching front, Like I didn't think Miserowski could be this good, you know, I knew Sanchez was really good. I didn't know he was going to be this good, like Erod To your point, there are a lot of guys, even the Cardinals, Kyle Lahey, McGreevy, all these guys. Man, I think pitching has been better than hitting.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and that's another one, just when he starts to get it, like some of the whiff rates, where these are specific arms sometimes where you know exactly what they're going to attack you with, and even then you can't really do anything about it, Like you can try to cheat for it time it up, like you could try to prepare with traject if you're fortunate enough to be home when you play against him, and and it really there's certain arms like it just really does not matter and you're gonna with the majority. It's the time that you swing at it, which is just some remarkable stuff.
Speaker 2: I am skewing back to a hitter.
Speaker 6: Uh just because and I know this isn't like as relatively gaudy of the numbers as compared to some.
Speaker 2: Of the other guys, but I gotta go.
Speaker 6: Jake Bowers with Milwaukee another guy that I feel like when you're looking at the success of the Milwaukee Brewers, a thirty year old gonna be thirty one years old soon, Jake Bowers having a career year. He's gonna double up his career high in homers, which was twelve three times. He's always played in a more part time role, but with Bowers here, you get twenty one homers in one hundred and nine games, a one forty WRC plus. This is guy that's never put up more than a zero point eight four in a season. He's at two point five now this year, largely because he's absolutely mashing, but just to see what he has done at thirty years old, Like thirty one soon to be, Bowers is going to get close to thirty bombs after never putting up more than twelve. He's striking out really less than he ever has and has been thrust into a more consistent role. Like this is another kind of Brewers magic situation, but it would be less surprising if it was a player that they acquired from another organization. This is his third year in the Brewers organization, and all of a sudden, it's just clicking for Jake Bowers or who they like to call Rake Bauers out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I dig that shout. He has turned into a master.
Speaker 4: And again, like that first base platoon that they've been running out, it's not sexy name value wise, but bowers on has been one of the better first base tandems in Major League Baseball. So Bowers is one of those guys that, like I think a lot of fan bases win their favorite team takes on the Brewers.
Speaker 1: Who is this guy in wise? Awesome?
Speaker 4: And they have guys like that, like a couple of years ago, is sal Frielich when Terrang was starting to show up, like it was Bryce Terrang, it was Joey Ortiz a couple of years ago as well, and now it's Bowers And I think Garrett Mitchell invokes that in some fan bases as well this year. So that's how you get to be one of, if not the best team in Major League Baseball, just having guys breakout. Hottest team in baseball one of that, they're not in Tampa. Tampa's the hottest team in baseball, hottest team in the National League. San Diego is being bullied by some superstars right now, right Merrill, no doubt about it, uh Tatis, no doubt about it. Machado has found his power stroke, no doubt about it. Ty France, Yeah, come on finding it again. Ty France has done this before. He hasn't done it to this degree. But Ty France had an eight to fifteen OPS in twenty twenty one. He had twenty homers and was an All Star in twenty twenty two. But Ty France, at his age thirty one season, after a bad year in twenty four and a bad year in twenty five, somehow finds the fountain of youth and in ninety six games is ripping off an eight seventy five OPS and just.
Speaker 1: Killing the baseball.
Speaker 4: I think it's three straight multi hit days, one of which had a homer. Yeah, two for three on the tenth, two for five on the eleventh, two for four on the twelfth. He's keeping the k's in check and he's swinging at everything like he's not walking much at all.
Speaker 1: No, but like it doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: He's playing the best defensi at first base in baseball too, Like he is everything to the middle of that padre lineup right now.
Speaker 6: What's really fascinating to me that the defense is nuts when you look at some of the metrics there, But the other side is, you know, unless he hits an absolute wall, and I know he hasn't been hitting another like a friendly environment either. His next best season from a home run output has been was in Seattle, so not not the best spots to have to hit there, but to hit your career high in homers in San Diego one of.
Speaker 2: The hardest places to go deep. He's on pace to do that.
Speaker 6: Read he already's at seventeen this year, career high twenty. Next most is eighteen, which he had the year before. He put up twenty in twenty twenty two and Seattle was crazy, and then he had the defensive side of things. I know it's first base, but we were just talking about it with him Bo, like first base defense might start might be starting to be underrated a little bit with how many lefties we've got just punishing balls down the line and to the right side and with limited shifts too, Like your first base range matters a little bit too, and just to be thirteen drs and six OAA is is nuts.
Speaker 2: He I've always loved to Tye France.
Speaker 6: Like, even back as a prospect, I just thought the guy was always going to hit. But for him to have back to back kind of disappointing years with multiple teams or just you know, I'm not totally disappointing, but just not great. I'd say one disappointing one kind of whatever. Uh, to then circle back on the other side of thirty and have the best year of his career when the entire offense, you know, it has a contagious like sputtering thing going on is the craziest part to me. And doing it in that ballpark like it's It's been one of the more I think, yeah, unexpected performances this year.
Speaker 2: Two more for you, right, Yeah, I'm going negative now me too.
Speaker 4: Actually, I've got one more positive than one negative.
Speaker 6: I get guy I just saw yesterday and I don't know if you had him as well, But like Trey Turner, man, Like the reason why Trey Turner is one of the most disappointing and just like kind of surprising for me is that last year was so damn good, and it's on multiple fronts right like I did.
Speaker 2: I was skeptical of.
Speaker 6: The massive defensive leap that he made last year, but even if you believed it by thirty percent, like he would have, implied that he's significantly better than he was, you know, the year before, where he was negative fourteen defensive run save and negative three outs above average. Right last year, so that was twenty twenty three or twenty twenty four, twenty twenty five, he's two defensive run saves and sixteen outs above average, So well positioned, but also still a lot better just with with you know, defending the position this year negative ten outs above average, negative six or sorry, negative six outs above average, negative ten defensive run saved, so kind of right back on track to be where he was before as that frustrating defender.
Speaker 2: The other side of it is.
Speaker 6: That I wouldn't care if he was the batter, the hitter that he's always been, and last year, with that defensive improvement, he was the same hitter that he's been for much of his career, a one to twenty five to rcplus that you could absolutely count on.
Speaker 2: This year, it's an.
Speaker 6: Eighty nine WRC plus, yeah, he's got the seventeen homers in the seventeen bags, but they're kind of empty because you know, he's not gonna walk, He's said in two forty seven, and so that results in a sub three hundred OVP. And when you combine the lack of defense, the complete step backwards offensively, he just hasn't been a very valuable player for a team that really needs him to be.
Speaker 4: So Bleacher Report be our walkoff is their baseball account, and I saw them. It was a fun exercise. They put together one sentence for all thirty teams to describe the season to this point, and their Philly sentence was the playoffs may be the ceiling. And I saw that and I was like, with Sanchez, Wheeler, Lozardo, why are they saying that? And I just started to like kind of run it through my brain and got the gears turning and they kicked the dust off in there.
Speaker 1: And I think that that sentiment.
Speaker 4: Is expressed and probably echoed by Philly fans because of Turner.
Speaker 1: Like Trey Turner and what he's doing at shortstop.
Speaker 4: Kind of caps their goals, kind of caps their ceiling right now. Turner, along with Boem along with real Muto along with the sputtering Marsh over the last month and a half. Like it's that, you know, Schwarber and Harper and Sanchez, Wheeler Lozardo can only do so much. You need other guys to step up. And when you got to October a couple of years ago, you knew Nick Castianos was gonna step up. But you also knew you had Turner in the back pocket, and you knew you had Gamer Marsh in the back pocket, and you knew that Boehm or.
Speaker 1: JT could deliver that big swing.
Speaker 4: And it just seems like none of the complimentary pieces are doing that consistently right now. But Trey Turner is not supposed to be a complimentary piece. He's paid like Harper and Schwarber. He's got to play like it, and he's just not right now. Yeah, I'll take you to my negative and then end on a positive along that same line of thinking. And it's funny, same position, same division. The Braves have a shortstop problem again. It might just be a cursed position since Dansby Swanson left and they've tried to find it in Orlando Arcia, in von Grissom, in Nick Allen in Hassan Kim and Jim Jarv. Kim not performing this year. And I understand that he's had finger issues the whole time, and he slipped on the ice over the offseason, and he's had injury issues throughout the course of the year, but it just seems like shortstops a little cursed for the Atlanta Braves right now. They try to not shoe Alvareza forgot that name as well, who's now with the La Angels. But you know, like they're turning to Jim Jarvis and he's a godsend for them with a six ninety ops. It's it's crazy that we're at that point here. They ran out Nick Allen every day last year and he didn't hit a homer, he didn't git one. They need to find a shortstop bad and I feel like Alexanthopolis thought that he found it in Kim, and again, injuries can hamstring a season, but Kim just has to be better when he's actually on the field. Atlanta needs to find a shortstop soon, man, And I don't know who it is. My mind keeps on going to Anthony Volpi here if his way is over in New York, I think up in Atlanta makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it's weird.
Speaker 6: It has been, and Jarvis has been actually like a solid, huge internal plug in for them. But yeah, I keep going back to that thought too of Volpie seems like the perfect perfect fit there. It has been, you know, a pretty surprisingly frustrating season, but I yeah, the injury helped helps justify, But I still thought Cam like would would would fit perfectly there with that team, and unfortunately just just has not happened this year. I was gonna go negative. I had two, and I was gonna kind of decide light here. But like Brian Hayes, everybody knows, Like is not a very good hitter, but to the point that he's hitting like a a like not even a good I've watched and Tree willis put together much better. I've watched Josh Johnson put together better stretches than this, so play, but I don't want to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Klay Snowden asked me to guess his WRC plus the other day.
Speaker 1: Is it still sitting at eleven?
Speaker 6: It's eleven. It's eleven and one hundred and eighty two played appearances. I don't want to pile on there too much. It's really tough to watch. I can't imagine when it feels like it. And I know he's getting.
Speaker 2: Paid at least, but like it's it's real.
Speaker 6: I've never seen a guy that bad offensively if he's not striking out forty percent of the time, like he's only striking out nineteen percent of the time, and he said, you're buck forty. You know how bad the quality of come And I've seen like watching the at bats of swings, he looks like a pitcher hitting.
Speaker 2: He really does. And it's really tough to watch.
Speaker 4: So real quick, can I can I give you some underlying numbers that are absolutely fascinating to me? Sure, and and it's really tough. Obviously, Key Brian Hayes is running a slash at this moment of two two thirty four. That's a four to twenty six OPS. But Ky Brian Hayes is running a career low and ground ball rate. He is running uh his best average exit velocity since twenty twenty three. He's hit the ball on average ninety point three miles an hour. But the big number that jumps out major league average batting average on balls and play is two ninety two. What do you think his babit is.
Speaker 6: It's got to start with a one, because he's hitting one forty.
Speaker 4: His babeb is one fifty two. Major league average is to ninety two.
Speaker 6: Like what's like, Okay, maybe he's a little unlucky. He should be hitting a buck eighty.
Speaker 4: I don't but like the most unlucky season we've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Now, there's just no way. But I'm watching. It's so many b stwins.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm not satisfying it with babbit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I know, but that is crazy.
Speaker 6: I've never seen a babbit that low on almost two hundred plate appearance.
Speaker 4: Within average with an average exit velocity of over ninety miles an hour. Your babib should not be a buck fifty.
Speaker 2: No, that's that's a really weird situation going on there. That is really, really weird.
Speaker 6: I hope he figures it out because if you've even kind of see it seeping into the defense, but cheez, yeah.
Speaker 2: That is crazy.
Speaker 6: In on a quick positive, Yeah, Max Meyer, man, like, look cool. I knew Max Meyer was gonna fill a big leagu girl for a long time, but I'll be honest, I was one of the people that thought maybe it would be in the bullpen. I just didn't believe like that he could make all of the improvements across the board that he was able to make this year, and as an All star now and like Gheit A four to seven three UR and twenty twenty five, Yeah, it will be a small sample.
Speaker 2: And then he got hurt.
Speaker 6: But it was twelve starts before that, it was eleven starts at A five six eight.
Speaker 2: You've got twenty starts this year to two six eight.
Speaker 6: But it's not just the numbers, it's how much better he is across the board. The fastball shape improved. You have this shorter kind of gyro slider that is just disgusting. Then he's got this which has always been his pitch, right, but then he adds this more sweepy slider that is disgusting. Then you see the change up that has continued to come along, and you just see this expanded arsenal for a player in his age twenty seven season.
Speaker 2: It's one thing to add the secondaries.
Speaker 6: It's another thing to add the secondaries and improve your fastball and your execution and everything across the board. And I like again, I thought Max Meyer would be a big league pitcher in some capacity. I had admittedly, just speaking for myself, that the son had maybe set on him being able to reach this potential. And that's why the sport is so awesome because here he is, you know, doing it and hopefully he'll be back from injury soon.
Speaker 4: He's a fiery, fiery competitor, and I don't think that he was going to leave any stone unturned in hopes of maximizing his opportunity as a starting pitcher and a really good one. And Daniel Mosque is the pitching coach for the Marlins. When he joined us earlier this year, he said Max is one of the biggest proponents of pitch calling here. And the Marlins pitching infrastructure I think personally, and tons of bias included, I think the Marlins pitching infrastructure is up there with Tampa. I think it's up there with Cleveland. I think it's up there with the Yankees as the best in Major League Baseball. I think they know how to get the most out of the arms that they bring in. They gave John King a breaking ball that he never had before, and I was striking dudes out like they give guys sweepers.
Speaker 1: Ronnie and Riquez.
Speaker 4: They turned Ronnie and Riquez into Brian Abra you a month after he was DFA last year. It's it's incredible what they can do. And they took a guy with that much natural ability like Max and added two inches of carry to his heater and added a different break in ball shape and added a good change up. And you know Max always had like trace amounts of that in the arsenal, but they found it and they established consistency. And again Max was a proponent of the pitch calling. So now it's like they're pressing all the right buttons and it's really really cool to watch Max thrive. So I love that shout for you. Last one for me. I think we'd be remiss if we didn't hit on Youing and bench here. I'm going to frame this as a surprise. Who would have thought the best part of the Mets season would be two guys that weren't on the forty man roster in spring training like you were thinking, Oh, Lindor and Soto and Basheed and Alvarez has been really good when he's been on the field, but like benj had the sleeper opportunity to be the right fielder for them, Ewing was gonna be a Derek huse Met the whole year, and now you've got your outfield of the President and future with Ewing, benj and Soto, and that looks like one of the better outfields in Major League Baseball. Bene is a two and a half win player already, Ewing is approaching a two win season. Ewing is one of the better center field defenders that we have in Major League Baseball. And I don't know if the advanced metrics back that up, but I watch guys like Ewing and Marcy in Miami go after it, and I'm like, Okay, PCA's in a world of his own. Rafaela is in a world of his own in the American League, But these guys are the next too. Like Ewing is one of the better center field defenders in a sport, and I'm excited to watch him do it.
Speaker 1: Benge is really really talented.
Speaker 4: I think those guys are a redeeming quality of a brutal met season.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, and I think those are two of my favorite prospects in a little while.
Speaker 2: So see it.
Speaker 6: But even for me, like, I don't think I envisioned them both I Benj, yes, but both having the immediate success this year, like with it being a tough year for the Mets too, Like if they're hitting eight to nine, maybe it's easier. They've been hitten at the top of that order and grinding it out, and I've been some of the most productive guys that they've had, and then impacting on the defense and with their legs. And that's the exciting part I think for the Mets is you you have the outfield taken care of moving forward, which is at least a big help, you know, as you try to piece together the other parts of this team. But I think it's a surprise and the respect that the Mets are this bad and those guys have been this good. For me, the more surprising part, because Ewing was one of my favorites, and of course Bench too, is that how quickly they've translated that into big league success, which has been really cool to see a hundre percent.
Speaker 4: I think that's our program. I think ARM is a flight to catch to get the heck out of Iowa. So appreciate everybody, appreciate Peyton Genis as always, for Peter Apple for ARM late and I'm Jack mcmullind you got anything else or say so that's it.
Speaker 6: I appreciate you, you know, justin to my schedule year with the craziness and except for a normal week next week to get back on the JB Show more consistently.
Speaker 4: Have a great weekend, Pabe, We'll catch you