Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Welcome, Welcome, Welcome back everybody to the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 2: Blasted. Yeah, you know, this is a good question. You know, how many people out there do you think would love to pepper spray me? That might be a good one. I mean, not as many as before, but I bet you there's a there's a I bet you there's a line of folks that probably wanted to pepper spray me if they got a chance. Yes again, I'm Ryan Lee filling in for Dan Patrick today. Uh, Derwin James is gonna join us here in about four minutes to talk about the Chargers and the new season under Jim Harbaugh as his head coach. This is I think Seaton and I were talking. I think we got him already, so we're gonna go.
Speaker 3: To him right now.
Speaker 2: Derwin James all pro safety for my Los Angeles Chargers, joins us.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: I was just telling everybody Derwin about I lived in LA for the last years. Man, I know what traffic, traffic's like. You know, you get competit.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: How you doing this morning?
Speaker 4: I'm doing good man. How y'all doing?
Speaker 2: We're doing well, We're doing well, it's been a lot of fun to watch you guys this year, Jesse Mentor. You know, it's just kind of untapped a little bit of it looks like you guys are having just so much fun flying around young guys, guys that that that people really don't know. And then you with out there is kind of the stalwart on the back end. Just talk about how much fun it's been this year to play under this new defensive coordinator.
Speaker 5: Man I can't stop smiling every day I come into the building. It's just deciding to come to work with these man not only did the coaches but the players. It's just ever since Opa, we've been just working on but off just to go out there and compete, and we finally found a few the results that we've been putting in and we just want to keep going hard. And coach Mentor, man I can't say nothing but great things about him. He's a man, one of a kind. Man I haven't been around a coach like him and coach Harball.
Speaker 2: So you you you spoke incredibly eyely a Jimbo Fisher you're coaching college. I spent like five seasons with him every fall football genius. I mean when you when you find guys that can flip that switch in you. Jim Harbaugh shows up, there's a different mentality as a former player, Jesse Mentor, you see guys acting different. I mean, I'm watching justin this year. There's like a little swagger with him. He's throwing a touchdown, he's doing some things. I mean, what's the locker It just it's allowed the locker room to be a little freer, it feels, and it comes across.
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, everybody's playing free, nobody's playing tight, and we just create that family environment. Coach Harball, he's you got the families that practice on Friday Saturdays. It's just creating the family environment that I've never been around in the NFL in my seven years. So man, it's just been a lot of fun. And when you can make it about family, man, you just want to go that much harder for that person. And Uh, offense get along with offense. Defense get along, and it's just the whole team coming together.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's incredibly different when you walk into an atmosphere like that. I remember that with when I was in Tampa with Tony Dungee, Like you just go from a coaching staff that's that's so welcoming in terms of what makes things easy, and you wonder why that hasn't always been the case, because you want your guys to be the most you know, relaxed going into football games. Talk to me about the Atlanta game. I mean, these games this year kind of fit the Harbaugh mold, right. It's it's offense trying to run the football, hold people back. But defense really had to close out that game. Talk about that kind of final play. They went empty. They brought Drake London over the cross in the middle, he kind of stumbles and you just you just knew they had to get to a point. You stepped right in front of an end of the game with that interception.
Speaker 5: First of all, I feel like coach did a great job all day calling great plays. I feel like we was in position to make all the plays we needed to make. And like you said, I just seen seeing Drake London in this plot and as soon as I see them released the ball, just try to make a play on it for my team. And like I said, coach made a great call. And all year long, keys just making great calls, and as a defense, I feel like we just come in that much closer to the world we want to beat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you get the goes up front, getting after the quarterback, Bosa that that crew. It's it's been fun to watch as a former Charger to see that defense kind of going back into Rodney Harrison Junior sayout days, that's that's some fun era of football. And we watched the Alscheizier uh al Shire hit on on Trevor Lawrence. As a defender, they've made it incredibly difficult on you guys in terms of what the heck is the quarterback going to do as you're trying to make a little move to get a few more yards, to pick up a first down, to extend a drive, to end a game. You got suspended earlier, and Coach Harbaugh was incredibly disappointed, as was I think a lot of people that watch football, realistic football, how tough is it to make decisions in the moment they'll split seconds to make those tackles and do the right thing. In the eyes of Park Avenue in New York.
Speaker 4: City, it's extremely hard.
Speaker 5: Like you say, you're playing a game at a fast speed, a fast tempo, and as a defender, you're going to just try to get the guy down, and sometimes the angle can change. The guy can see you duck sometimes and.
Speaker 4: It's just like we got to adjust.
Speaker 5: Like I said, they want to clean up the game, man, And like I said, I'm all for it, man, and I'm trying to find new ways to get better at myself. I'm still working at it, and I just love to play man honestly.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 5: Like I say, it's definitely hard on the defenders. I feel like, especially because you don't know if he's gonna fly. You don't want to give up the first down as a defender. So it's just tough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they put you in a tough spot.
Speaker 2: They put you in an absolutely crazy tough spot in terms of what you have to do. Speaking of coach Harbaugh, so I don't know if you know this. So coach Arbaugh was my backup in San Diego. He taught me that when he taught me how to be a professional, you know, it was that quarterback room was crazy. If he could have been a player, coach, I bet you we win a ton more games if he had been able to be the coach. What's it been like to have him again? And does he how active is he?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: Is he out there slinging the ball around. Is he catching the ball? I mean, how like how physical is he with you guys in practice? Seems like a lot of fun and it looks like he's doing it.
Speaker 4: I feel like coach Harball is all in man, honestly. Man.
Speaker 5: Ever since ot As he's been pulling sleds man, honestly since he's been working out every fourth quarter drill, no lie like he's he's over there doing manuals with us. Man, he's really and he has his cleek on his cleek game is crazy.
Speaker 4: He got all the different Jordan's. Man, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: So man, his his Jordan game from his time in Michigan.
Speaker 3: That's what I said.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, he have his cleat song man and he all in it man. Like you say, here a player coach manning every day. I've scribed to be like, I'm like a leader man. When it comes to that leader ability to affect the whole room and the whole organization, I feel like he's one of a con when it comes to that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: His track record, he goes places, you win, you get a chance to win a championship, That is his track record. It makes me laugh. You've been around Justin for so long. I go and I go away and play golf with Justin every summer. And you know, he's the kind is most kind of under unassuming killers. That's a really good way to put it. He's an unassuming killer. He'll go out and rip your heart out with the way he can throw the football and be a leader. But did you see the video of when when coach Harba did the pregame thing with the quarterbacks he likes to do where he hits him on the shoulders and they touched you like Justin didn't know what was coming like, and he's trying to like be.
Speaker 3: In it too, but it looks so awkward.
Speaker 2: What's the strangest kind of pregame thing that coaches kind of come over and batted you up and get you ready physically? What is he What has he done to get you fired up?
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, the same thing. Like I've been a time where he just came and hit me on the bat. Let's go out, need your best, let's go, let's go. So he always just trying to get us ready to go. Man, Especially that pregame speech in the locker room. It's no, it's no speeches like Hallball speeches. Man, he always got one of a confle you.
Speaker 2: Uh, you guys get to see the Chiefs again here soon they're the team at the top. I've never felt like the Chargers have ever in any way fear the Chiefs and Narrowhead or whatever. What's it like going up against Patrick Mahomes as an All Pro safety? And you know, how important is it for your team? I think entering the playoffs to to defeat a very good AFC team, the Ravens had a chance a week could go with you guys, When you get a chance to the Chiefs and the teams that you're probably gonna meet in the playoffs down the stretch, how important is it you guys to to show up and play well.
Speaker 5: First of all, there's always a sighting to go against the Chiefs. I feel like the games come down to the end every time, And like you said, we have to go in on the road and be able to beat those type of teams because if you want to go where we want to go in the playoffs far, those are the type of teams you have to beat. And I trust every man in this locker room, from offense, defense to special teams, and I know we're preparing that way, and I can't wait till the game Sunday night.
Speaker 2: You know, you get to play a really cool position because you go up against some of the greatest players at the receiver position, in the tight end position, catch us the running backs out of the backfield. But is there a get you out of this with with this question here? Is there an underrated player that that people don't talk about that maybe like you know, when you go into a game against someone like that or maybe even somebody on your team when you're going up against him in practice, that that that it's gonna give you fits. He's going to be a player that that not everybody's talking about Anna Travis Kelsey, but this guy and and uh, I think that's a that's a pretty cool thing when when you know who you're going up against every single week.
Speaker 5: I have to say probably Latin mccunkie. Uh, just going against him from training camp. I feel like his track where I could speaking for himself, this season lead all rookies in receiving yards. So man, I feel like he's he's doing a great job getting open man and becoming that receiver one.
Speaker 4: And then Dyane.
Speaker 5: Henley on defense, Uh, out there him in big pooning in the middle. So just those three guys, I feel like a lot of shout outs to those boys. They've been making a lot of plays just under the radar.
Speaker 2: Dayon Hendley, everybody, I don't know if you know this or not, but he's a Washington State Cougar. Make sure you, uh you give him a shout out for me today.
Speaker 3: When you see him.
Speaker 2: All right, yes, sir, all right, Derwin James, everybody, thanks for joining us, buddy, appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Thank you, man.
Speaker 3: That's awesome. I love talking to players current former.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's just that dude is a stud. You talk about a dog every single week. Jimbo Fisher used to talk about. I spent like five seasons with with Jimbo and his staff at at Florida State and then at Texas A and M. I mean, he talked about how smart, how intuitive, and just how good he is. And I really thought with Jesse Minter this year the things they could do with him hybrid wise, and it really hasn't been overly much, but he's ended up in some different places on the defensive side of the football and making plays that that I think have been incredibly inventive. He just looks like he's having a lot of fun. And you know what, Jim Harbaugh gets that out of.
Speaker 6: You seen the dude that wants to win right there? You know you can see it's just like all written all over him, that dude wants to win. I wonder what the last four years have been like for him?
Speaker 3: Five years been incredible.
Speaker 2: Fourth head coach, right, Anthony Lynn and interim and Brandon Staley and now Jim Harbaugh.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I wonder do you think that there's if Anthony Lynn was still the head coach, would they be successful by now?
Speaker 4: In that?
Speaker 6: What I mean is the consistency of message and sort of brand and pushing in one direction and this is what we're gonna do. And maybe it takes a year or two to get it right, but then eventually you start getting the concepts and they start working or.
Speaker 3: What do you speak of?
Speaker 2: I am a Steelers fan, Yeah right, yeah, yeah, you know, I have no idea. We've had three head coaches in one hundred and eighty years or whatever it is, you know, right, sure, yes, I do. I do think that the idea of just giving up. You know what's really impressive about Detroit. Is that they didn't do that with Dan Campbell when things were going bad. Remember before they went on that crazy winning streak, like three or four games into last year, like it was chopping block time. People were saying, no, you know he wasn't you know he was. He was actually being asked to leave Applebee's And now he's doing commercials, you know in Applebee's.
Speaker 3: You know, it's the.
Speaker 2: Ability to show patience is a huge deal. You wouldn't have Jim Harbaugh as the head coach right now. That's that's you know, that's the way people will counter you and go, we got the guy, We got the guy now. But I'm with you, there's some the consensity. What if you kept Clay Hilton at USC. You know, the Lincoln Riley thing hasn't worked. Clay Heilton has a better record at USC than Lincoln Riley has. Times change, cultures have changed, nil, things have changed. All those things are different in terms of what it looks like. But I am more of the consistency over chaos. But the NFL, as you guys pointed out in the random questions, is about turnover. I mean the turnover ratio for coaches, players, everything, and the college model was starting to look the same.
Speaker 3: Marvin.
Speaker 7: Have you ever seen a head coach or a player come into building and the building automatically changes, or have you heard of any different scenarios like that where as soon as this coach came in or this quarterback came in, the building was completely different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've seen that.
Speaker 2: You've seen that in many different scenarios. You know when I was first there, when when John Gruden walked in in Tampa, I mean you just you just what was the difference maker in Tampa that year was an offense? Like the defense was great, you know, Mike Kiffen was you know, you're Derek Brooks and you had Booger and you had Simeon Rice and Rondez and you had Dexter and not all those guys in the back end, and I mean, you were gonna You're gonna shut people down defensively. What you needed to be able to do was score a few more points, and uh and John got that. And when they walked in, I think, you know, everybody looked around and said, oh yeah, with what Tony Dungee had left behind and put together, this is a super Bowl winning team.
Speaker 3: And it was Marvin.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think the Buccaneers lost the NFC Championship game like eleven to five or it was like it was a craze to Kurt Owner and yeah, yeah, it was like a Ricky prol like crazy, like the ball just dropped right in his chest.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: They were so in need for an injection of offensive power and they got it. They got the best thing in the world. They went up against the Raiders, which John knew like the back of the hand, on the only Super Bowl situation where there wasn't a bye week between because of nine to eleven that year, I believe. I think that was the reason why, because they had taken up a week because of the tragedy and there was no bye week in between the AFC NFC Championships and the Super Bowl that year. And what a year to have it where you have a former coach who knew all the signals and all the things that that that the Oakland Raiders were doing. I mean rich Gannon went out there and was playing against twenty two people essentially in that game.
Speaker 3: It was crazy. It was crazy.
Speaker 2: So yeah, there's those times like that at all times, Like when remember talking to some guys when when Russell walked in in Pittsburgh. I some of my friends on the Steelers team, they whatever the media has or talks about outside of Russell Wilson or what went down in Denver those last two years. He's also a guy that went to two Super Bowls, right, came from nowhere to Wisconsin, won the job, become this you know, you know, multi millionaire businessman and star quarterback. He walks into the room in Pittsburgh. You know, people talk about justin fields, should have been the starter, should have kept on starting, and everything like that. I guarantee you right now, ever been in that locker room goes, we want competent quarterback play.
Speaker 3: Russell's gonna give us to us.
Speaker 2: We had the best chance to win a championship. And they were, you know, they they saw him and saw an opportunity and they were they were very, very attracted to that. And that happens all the time. And when Jim Harbaugh walks into it, same darn thing, same darn thing, all.
Speaker 3: Right, college football? Is it the minor league? Is it special? Is it better? I don't know.
Speaker 2: Somebody needs to teach me and tell me. Maybe Andy Staples can do that next, right, here on the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live. Welcome back everybody to the Dan Patrick Show. Ryan Lafyer filling in for the main man Dan Patrick.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: Our next guest is gonna be uh college football analyst. He covers college football for on three Sports as well. Good friend of mine. I haven't talked to him. I haven't spoken to him many years, it feels like. But Andy Staples joins the show. Andy, what's going on?
Speaker 4: Buddy?
Speaker 1: Ryan?
Speaker 8: You never right? He never called him. Yeah, we do text occasionally, though we do check.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: You usually pointed out to everybody that why are we listening to Will Ferrell call a football game tonight?
Speaker 8: It happens to me sometimes, Yeah, we're a I am in one of those multi box situations.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 8: And of course, unless it's like the beginning of a quarter, they're not showing your faces and at first I'll be like, wait, wait, what is where ferrorth searching? Oh wait, that's Ryan, that's right.
Speaker 1: Ryan.
Speaker 3: Well, milk was a bad choice.
Speaker 4: I know that.
Speaker 3: You were at the Texas TEXTA, A and M game.
Speaker 2: I was talking to the guys a little bit early Andy about what college football is and for me, and this can be, of course a projectionist point of mine, since I called only really the PAC twelve games this year for the cw SO a conference that was kind of left behind. I see it a little bit as the minor leagues. I didn't follow it that much. Guys are getting paid. I'd rather see if they're going to get paid. I'd rather see him be playing for the Lions or something like that. But yet there was one hundred and whatever twenty thousand people in College Station last week to watch Texas Texas and renew that that rivalry. Where do you see the game of college football? What was it like being there and then watching the twelve team playoff kind of you know, start to spin this new version of college football in our eyes.
Speaker 8: It's really interesting how it changed our relationship with games in November. I mean, we told the people who wanted to stick to four and the people who wanted to stick to the BCS that this would make the November games more meaningful for more teams, and they didn't believe us. Well, they believe us now, Like it really changed the dynamics of everything because we would not have been watching Miami Syracuse with nearly as much interest as we were in the game. I was at SO Texas and Texas A and m we're playing for a spot in the SEC Championship game.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 8: I mean you got all the trappings of that rivalry, the fact that they hadn't played since twenty eleven, and then you add some stakes on top of that. It was a beautiful thing, not a beautiful game. Not a beautiful game. Both defenses much better than most, but then both offenses. But we did get to see Arch Manning as like the designated running quarterback for Texas, which I did not have our Manning as the two thousand and six Tim Tebow on my big o'card for the year. But I kind of love it.
Speaker 2: So don't forget he's Cooper's kid. He's not Peyton or Eli's kid. R Kuber was a receiver, was a wide receivers. He's got some ability on that. Andy Staples here joining us here on the Dan Patrick Show. The Biggest Gripe? What team may have the biggest gripe? So far of being on the outside looking in and not knowing what this weekend is going to bridget. But what we found out here on Tuesday night, I.
Speaker 8: Think Ole Miss, Miami, and South Carolina all have the same gripe because they're not really any different from Alabama. Alabama is the one they picked to be in that last spot. Now, Alabama might not get that last spot. If Clemson were to beat SMU in the ACC Championship game, they might leave Alabama there. They might only drop SMUT there and drop Alabama out. So we don't exactly know how that's going to play out. And that has been the argument raging in college football land all week is, you know, how dare they choose Alabama? This is so stupid. It's always Alabama. I don't think it's always Alabama. I think it's Alabama in this case. Is Alabama super deserving? No, No, three loss team is super deserving. But they all have flaws and there's four that are kind of the same, and they got to pick one, and so that's the one they're picking.
Speaker 2: It seems like, yeah, is there a team that most likely this weekend? I mean, because we've had a conversation on the show today about you know, whether or not these games should even be played. Why, what's the purpose of playing these games? You know you have I would argue that Texas is the SEC champion. They have one loss this season in the SEC that makes them the es.
Speaker 8: They lost to the team that they're going to play it exactly, so exactly that's a big part of that.
Speaker 2: Is there a team that you see in the title games tomorrow or on Friday and Saturday, that you see likely to be knocked out if we're to get that loss.
Speaker 8: So Boise State will be knocked out if they lose to un I'll be on Friday night. I mean, that's that's pretty much a predetermined conclusion. Whether it puts UNLV in or no is another question. It might But then if Army beats Tulane, then there's a probably probably a conversation between you and LV and Army. But this SMU part is really interesting. We had rhtt Lashley, the head coach from SMU, on my show today and he said, look, if we all got COVID and didn't play this game, we'd be in the playoff. Yet you're saying if we lose to Clemson we might be out. How is that right? And my co host Ry Wasserman asked him, Hey, if that happens, you would if you did lose and got knocked out, do you think it would change the way coaches approached these championship games, and rhet lastly's like, yeah, I think coaches would do some crazy things at that point, because if you're in the playoff and you've earned the right to play an extra game, the thinking is it shouldn't punish you. Yeah, but yeah, if I were a coach and I saw that happen to somebody else, it would make me rethink wanting to play in that game.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's a real argument to be had that, you know, Ohio State losing may have had a little bit of a benefit because now, listen, I'd take the buye for me is a big deal.
Speaker 3: The bye is a big deal for me? Is a yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 8: That well, Also, the five seed is a big deal if you lost the Big ten championship game, if you're Ohio State. Yeah, because the five seed plays the twelve, which may not necessarily be the number twelve team that may be a conference champion. They got raised up to twelve. So not only that, who does the five play in the second round, and it's try to like the play the four, the four which is probably not actually number four. It's some conference champ that got raised. So could be I would argue, yeah, I would argue that that five seed is probably has an especially if you didn't play in a conference championship game, has a nicer path than the one seed, which gets a bye. But that eight nine winner is gonna be somebody nasty.
Speaker 3: It could be.
Speaker 2: It could be one of those teams that we talked about. It could be a Georgia, It could be an Old Miss, could be an Alabama team that is a brutal beat physical in nature and everything like that. So yeah, first year of playing out, there's gonna be a ton of discussion around what this looks like and where you go with it and.
Speaker 3: Everything like that.
Speaker 2: National Signing Day we're talking with Andy Staples here. National Signing Day was yesterday, and does it what does it mean now with the portal opening, what does it mean to and is it different for certain teams like if you are at the very top of the heap or if you're somewhere at bottom where you're gonna have to develop and maybe know you're developing for let's say Alabama in a couple of years.
Speaker 8: You know, you're treating it if you're Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State the same way you always did. You go get the best high school players. You try to make that the foundation of your program, especially the big guys like you want to. You know, offensive defensive linemen for the most part, are not going to come in ready to play, so you try to stockpile them as best you can. That's not going to be easy because of the transfer portal. Kids are smart, you know, they see how this works. And I think what has happened is those teams can't stockpile the way they used to. Like Alabama's backups used to be better than probably everybody ranked below number five, and that's just not the case anymore. Those guys go, I can just play somewhere else. I can become a first rounder at Arkansas. I can become a first rounder at Ole Miss. So why am I? Why am I sitting here? And so it's made the market a lot more efficient. So it's really more where guys are going to start their careers, whether they finish them there is another story, And you know a lot of ways it's it's it's more fair to me because I'm so used to covering the coaching carousel, so I'm used to signing day happens and then oh we forgot were firing the wide receivers coach. I'm sorry you wanted to play for him. Oh, don't worry about that, but you're stuck here. Well you're not stuck there anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't have to be hostage to some whims by adults that have no real interest in necessarily what you're doing. Uh, the the coaching carousel.
Speaker 3: You spoke of what maybe jobs.
Speaker 2: Are are on the line this weekend, What jobs are are are maybe opening that that maybe people may think are are ones that could be open here soon.
Speaker 8: This is a weird year, Ryan, because normally there's a lot more jobs open, and I think a lot of the Power Conference schools have been afraid to fire their coaches because you've got revenue sharing with the players coming next year, so that you're gonna have to devote millions of dollars to that. You don't want to pay these buys. Some of the buyots have gotten so ridiculous that they're they're almost prohibitive, like Kentucky and Mark Stoops don't seem to be on the best terms right now, but they would owe him forty four million dollars within sixty days. Like, he ain't going anywhere if he doesn't want to go somewhere, right So, like the best jobs open right now are North Carolina, Perdue, UCF in West Virginia, and they're still looking for coaches. I think, you know some of those some of those schools are considering coaches who are coaching in championship games this weekend. So probably get a little movement on that after the weekend. But you know, I think everybody's looking at Columbus right now. Obviously, Ryan Day's in the playoff. He's not going anywhere. I don't think Ohio State is firing Ryan Day. But Ryan Day has a Michigan problem, and he has to decide what to do going forward once this season ends. About that Michigan problem, I'm guessing that he just wants to try to fix it, but you got to be careful because he's varying very dangerously into John Cooper territory right now.
Speaker 2: It's so strange, it's so strange how that game transpired on Saturday. I mean, I watched it in a I covered I called the Oregon Michigan game earlier in the year, and yeah, and they played pretty good at times, but it didn't matter.
Speaker 3: O High State.
Speaker 2: I watched the High State Oregon game as well, and that's a completely different football team in terms of mindset and coaching.
Speaker 8: What was shocking to me is Ohio State tried to meet Michigan on its own terms. Like why meet Michigan on Michigan's terms? Dictate the terms? Like you have Jeremiah Smith, who is the best wide receiver in the country. He might be well he's not yet, but in a few years he will be the best wide receiver in the world. Like, within probably four years year two in the NFL, he will be the best wide receiver in the world. They targeted him twice. Yeah, Like, do the things that you're good at. Don't try to beat Michigan in its own game.
Speaker 2: It just it's dumbfounding to me. I'd be remiss if having you on you and I talking about our friend Trevor Moat. Oh, yeah, you wrote or co wrote the book with him. It takes what it takes and and and you know how important Trevor was to me. But but I think you would have a really unique voice in the understanding of what transpired over the last couple of years with Denver and Russell Wilson because you were intrinsically, uh taught this this neutral thinking because you had to write about it, and so the understanding of that, and I've tried to make it across that that Russell may be the best of anybody who's ever done the neutral thinking aspect of things of what him and Trevor tried to Russell.
Speaker 8: So Trevor was Russell's mental coach. Yes, cognitive but Russell Russell kind of designed a lot of this and gave a name to it, and and Trevor and I wrote it takes what it takes. And then as as Trevor was fighting cancer, we wrote getting to Neutral, which we kind of wove in the pandemic and like how because we saw a lot of people in the real world trying to have to wrestle with the stuff that that Trevor had to deal with with athletes at a different level. And it was wild watching Russell in Denver because it was like, if I think, if Trevor we're able to talk to him and able to They were able to talk about thinking neutrally and how to deal with these situations. I think it would have gone better. But I do feel like when I hear uss talk when I see him playing in Pittsburgh, that he's getting back to.
Speaker 3: That now well, and he tried trying to watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he tried to compartmentalize, and I think a lot of times when you are in that neutral thinking, because this is also the logic that I used with the way Trevor worked with me. You know, once I walked out of prison ten years ago, and I would be nowhere I am today if it weren't for him and what he did for me. But you know, Russell can come off like a simulation sometimes and it's just because it's this. It's it's this maintaining a certain thing, and he's the best that that's done it. And I just thought that would you know, I'm usually the one talking about it when I come on and talk about Russell, and you wrote the book with Trevor and you were perfectly situated to talk about it.
Speaker 8: I am so glad you brought that up, because it's it's one of those things and I was going back through it takes what it takes in getting in a neutral the other day because I think about Trevor a lot, and that stuff has helped me so much in my own life, just raising kids, you know, doing doing the things you have to do to live life. And for those who don't know, neutral thinking is a basically, you know, the power of positive thinking, very popular book, a motivational speaker. It's not positive. We just don't allow negative thoughts ever to enter our mind. It's basically you don't allow negative thoughts. You don't verbalize negative thoughts. You just say, hey, here's what I know, here's what I can.
Speaker 3: Do, this is what I can You'd be yeah, you'd be.
Speaker 8: Shocked how much easier it makes life if that's how you're thinking.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it changed my life, bro. I mean, you've gotten to know me. You know, you met me eight years ago. Nine years ago we covered the Clemson Alabama game together down in uh in uh Santa Clara.
Speaker 3: I just I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't let anything negative creep into my mind. And it's hard, you know, especially with with the way the way the world works, and they want to uh talk to you about your life, you know, and so and for Russell to do that, and I think that that got lost a little bit in Denver, and I think we're just giving it given some context. You know, everybody in Pittsburgh has seen and and what it's come from.
Speaker 8: But I just thought I would would put that out. It's fun to watch like that. Yeah, that whole situation has been fascinating. The justin feels to Russ and all look at that. So, Russ, that's like a Jack Lambert, Russell, Wilson Dursey.
Speaker 2: So Russ sent me uh uh away and home Jersey this year and I couldn't. I couldn't breakhim out until he got healthy. And I was just like, because I think I might have been the only one that actually said that this is a super Bowl team with a confident quarterback at play.
Speaker 3: So we'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 8: Let's get George Picktens out of control first.
Speaker 2: But well, you know, George Pickens is the talent of Antonio Brown in the eyes of Mike Tomlin. And if I've talked to him before, and it's like, you know, the talent when it becomes an issue where it got to with Antonio Brown and I had to ship him out that's that's when it until that time, the talent is so overwhelming for everybody.
Speaker 3: That's that's why they were putting up with it.
Speaker 8: And Mike Tom is the one guy you trust to get that out of it.
Speaker 2: And I trust it, and I trust it and because I know that he knows when it's over, he'll pull the pluck and he has and that's why he's still the coach and why everybody trusts.
Speaker 3: Him and stuff like that. So I could talk to you all day, man. I miss you, brother. It's good to see you. Thanks for hopping on with us today.
Speaker 8: Thank you, Ryan, I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Yep, good to see you. Andy Staples.
Speaker 2: Everybody talking a little college football. I mean he he makes some good points around the idea of, you know, the college conference games this weekend. We've talked about it earlier Seton. I mean, really, what's the point in SMU playing this game? They could move up a couple spots, maybe a spot for them they're in right now.
Speaker 6: Set How long do you think we last in this current iteration of college football exactly the way it's set up this year? How long do you think this lasts this year?
Speaker 3: Next year?
Speaker 6: And then what do you think the changes. You go to fourteen teams, No.
Speaker 2: You go to the National Collegiate Football League.
Speaker 3: Do you think that quick?
Speaker 2: Yep, because that's when the media rights deal is up with the college football Playoff.
Speaker 6: It's the only thing that is making more and more sense.
Speaker 2: You put it aside and you make it what it is, the National Collegiate Football League, eighteen to twenty two teams in each conference, NFL model, you go, you have a czar at the top commissioner. I would recommend Nick Saban, you regulatory around transfers and portal and anil. That's that's a separate entity away. It's hard to predict because they're still on college campuses. That's what's so foreign to me with this, guys, is the fact that they're still on college campuses. Like these are student athletes still, like they have to they have to qualify to get into school, but they're the professionals on the football part of the campus.
Speaker 3: It's just it's just so odd.
Speaker 2: And and I'm not poo pooing any of it, Like I want every player for their worth to be paid, their worth for name, image and likeness, for what they bring to the university and everything that I want that. So it's just it's just a different model. And so yeah, I anticipate that what's going to really be beneficial. And you know, this is maybe just tooting in the PAC twelve horn here and Teresa Gould the commissioner, something that her two predecessors could never have done and seen forward thinking wise, they kept the PAC twelve brand. Guess what teams are going to be coming back because they are not going to be in the nowtional Collegiate Football League because they can't afford to be.
Speaker 3: So teams that were.
Speaker 2: In the PAC twelve they're gonna be coming back. And guess who's gonna hold the cards on whether you get back into the PAC twelve conference? Washington State, Oregon State and in Teresa goul So there you have it, Andy Staples, that was great. We're gonna come back for our last segment here on The Dan Patrick Show. We'll break down everything leading into the Packers and Lions game tonight, as well as recap all that went down today right here on The Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: Welcome back everybody to the Dan Patrick Show. Ryan Leaf here filling in for Dan. Last segment of the show, Boy, this was my flew Bye boys, flu bye. What a great show. Andy Staples just joined us. Derwin James from the Los Angeles Chargers, Lomas Brown all Pro from the Detroit Lions for that big Detroit Lions Green Bay Packers matchup tonight football. Football football. That's all we had today. It's a lot of fun, talked a lot about it. Ah, breaking news, breaking news, everybody. Brett Vegan, Brent Vegan, head football coach from Montana State University, podcast named Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year. Congratulations mister Vegan as the head football coach for Montana State. Of course you are, you know of godly form? Makes sense, makes sense everybody. All right, So we have a few minutes left in the show. Anybody who's watched the Dan Patrick Show knows that I've been as staple for many different reasons.
Speaker 3: Right, there was a span where it.
Speaker 2: Was much ado about nothing to you know, the trials and tribulations that I went through. But ten years ago, it was about a year out we were at the San Francisco super Bowl. Was at Super Bowl fifth I believe it was my now wife and I drove up from Los Angeles to go to the nflpa's Player Care Foundation medical evaluations. They offered free medical evaluations to former players, most of which guys may have not had physicals for years. And me being a prison and doing what I did to my body for as long as I did, I had no idea what I was like. I didn't know where I needed to go to get healthy, and so I went in to do that. That's why I went to that Super Bowl. I went up there because they offered those at those sites for those big events. As I was in the hotel, it was the hotel that we were doing the checkups in with the doctors, I ran across Paul Pabst.
Speaker 3: In the hallway.
Speaker 2: Now listen, Paul and I and as well as Seaton and Andrew Perlof and Fritzy We've known each other for years, pre prison, post prison everything, and PAULI just simply said, hey, you know, you know told in your hands if you want to come on talk to about where you're at.
Speaker 3: And I was just I didn't know.
Speaker 2: I talked to the people that I cared about, the mentors and things like that, and they just they said something that spoke volumes to me, and I didn't understand it at the time. Really said, you are a lighthouse and you don't see lighthouses running around the harbor looking for boats. And I didn't understand what that meant. And then you understand, especially living in the Northeast now, lighthouses are rooted in the rocks, in the foundation, Okay, and you just you shine a light and you provide a safe harbor for somebody if they may need it. And that's all this was. It's a little snippet, it's a minute, but here's from Super Bowl fifty in San Francisco down in the marina with Dan and the dan Nants and myself and my first public statements since walking out of a prison cell.
Speaker 9: It's great to see you. You look great, you brought your girlfriend. Looks like you got life in order here, right?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Today I do.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 9: If you were going to recap the last four years for somebody who had no idea about Ryan leave, how would you recap four years?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: Interesting, I have a lot of life experience. Even more added on to all this I think that four years ago I got sick, and when I got sick, I got offered pain medication from the doctor, and I never told them that I had a previous problem. I just had to do radiation for a brain tumor, and I just assumed that, you know what, everybody else gets to do this when they're feeling this, but I can't. I can never take one. And they gave me those pills December one, twenty twelve, and by March thirtieth, two thousand or December one, twenty elevel, by March thirtieth, twenty twelve, I was in a jail cell. So it took four months for everything to go away.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 2: I look different, I even sound a little different. But it was simply just telling my story, and I think that was the foundation of what my mentors were talking to me about. I had no idea that that day would would spin what it looks like now. Right there's a lot of water under the bridge in terms of like because I didn't want to be in the public eye anymore. I thought I could go and be of service to other people and then just kind of disappear. But the Dan Patrick Show exists. My name doesn't disappear, all right. The draft happens every year, especially when they take six first round draft picks in the same season. You know, that's that's what happens. So I had to figure out a way to take that power back. One was meeting Trevor Moad and making sure that I didn't allow negative thoughts into my brain anymore, and that shifted and changed. Marvin didn't didn't know me. Then he's come on board after Andrew left, but Fritzi and.
Speaker 3: Seaton have and.
Speaker 2: I mean from you guys knew me previously to that moment to where we are now and just your thoughts about this incredibly grateful life that I get to get to offer seating.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, it's interesting that clip. You can hear uh, I mean you can see obviously a physical change. You could see too.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: You're uncomfortable and you can hear that You're not confident yet. You know that's the big difference. You're You're infinitely more confident sitting here today than you were. That guy right there, that guy is like a baby, you know, the guy that was just talking. He's like a pump.
Speaker 3: That that guy.
Speaker 2: That guy, that guy hasn't been in the public eye, you know, for I don't know how long in that picture. This is, this will, this will, this will, this will be crazy. But I'm more confident now as a human being with all the baggage that exists, and I ever was in as an NFL quarterback. So thank you to the listener, thank you to Dan Patrick, Thank you to you guys for carrying me and always being there for me.
Speaker 3: Dad, We'll be back tomorrow. Oh love you all.
Speaker 4: Thanks