Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: Good Morning, I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 3: Karen, we begin this morning with the passing of a civil rights icon, The Reverend Jesse Jackson.
Speaker 4: Has died at the age of eighty four.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg's Alexis Christoffers joins us with more. Good morning, Alexis, Good morning.
Speaker 5: The famed civil rights leader who marched alongside Martin Luther King Junior and later ran for president twice, died peacefully this morning, surrounded by his loved ones. According to his family, a cause of death was not immediately given. Jackson revealed he had Parkinson's in twenty seventeen and had been hospitalized since November after being diagnosed with a degenerative condition. Jackson's activism spanned decades, including two runs for the Democratic presidential nomination in nineteen eighty four and eighty eight. In two thousand, President Clinton awarded Jackson the country's highest honor, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, citing his decades of work to make the world a better place. Jesse Jackson has survived by his six children and his wife of sixty years in New York. Alexis Christophers Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, Alexis, thank you. We now turned to a couple of high profile talks in Geneva. The US and Irun are sent to me for a second round of nuclear talks as they seek to avoid renewed conflict in the Middle East. On Air Force One, President Trump said he will be following the talks closely, so.
Speaker 6: I'll be involved in those talks indirectly, and they'll be very important, and we'll see what can happen. Specifically, Rants are very tough negotiate with it.
Speaker 4: I think they want to make a deal.
Speaker 6: I don't think they want the consequences of not making a deal.
Speaker 3: They want to make a deal, and along with President Trump, Secretary of State Marco Rubio says he's hopeful Tehran and Washington broker in agreement. Rubio spoke with Bloomberg News editor in chief John Micklethwaite on the sidelines of the Munich Security Conference.
Speaker 7: I think it's pretty clear that Aron will never be allowed to have a nuclear weapon, and that that poses a threat not just to the United States, to Europe, to world security and to the region. There's no doubt about it. The second is, we obviously want to have forces in the region because Iran has shown the willingness and the capability to lash and strike out at the United States presence in the region. You know, we have bases because of our alliances in the region, and Iran has shown in the past that they're willing to attack us and or threat in our basis. So we have to have sufficient firepower in the region to ensure that they don't make a mistake and come after us and trigger something larger.
Speaker 3: Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaking with Bloomberg editor in chief John mckelthwaite, Iranian officials have expressed willingness to discuss their nuclear enrichment activities, but they've tied any concessions to the potential easing of US sanctions.
Speaker 4: Well, Nathan.
Speaker 2: President Trump is reaping high praise on Vice President Jdvans and Secretary of State Marco Rubio, but fell short of saying if he would support either one of them to lead the Republican presidential ticket in the twenty twenty eight election.
Speaker 6: Something I don't have to worry about now. I've got three years to go, so it's something I don't have to burn JD's fantastic at markers at both.
Speaker 2: Granted, President Trump made the comments to reporters on board Air Force One.
Speaker 3: And as we approach the fourth anniversary of Russia's full scale invasion of Ukraine Careen, there will also be US broker talks between Ukrainian and Russian officials in Geneva. Bloomberg's Hugo Miller has the latest from Switzerland.
Speaker 8: It's going to be up to whether the lead US envoys, Steve Whitcoff and Jared Kushner can really kind of bring the sides together, knock some heads together. They've also brought their own idea of a US free economic zone. But that's interesting, and that's one thing that both the Russians and the Ukrainians agree on. They're both rather cool on the idea of a kind of neutral free economic zone. So there's really going to be a full day, perhaps two days of discussions here in Geneva, but no one is too optimistic that a lot of headways going to get made.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg's Hugo Miller says the intensity of military strikes has risen sharply on both sides this month, despite US efforts to end the war.
Speaker 2: Well back here in the nation's capital, Nathan, the Department of Homeland Security is still shut down amid a congressional funding impass. According to an aid to send it Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, the Democrats have sent a counter offer on limits their demanding on immigration enforcement activities to the Republicans and the White House. The lapse in funding could last for weeks with Congress on a recess.
Speaker 3: And there's yet more fallout from the Jeffrey Epstein files. Karen billionaire Tom Pritzker says he is stepping down as executive chairman of Hyatt Hotels, citing his association with the disgraced financier. In a news release, Pritzker says he exercised terrible judgment in maintaining contact with Epstein Angelaine Maxwell. He says there's no excuse for failing to distance himself sooner. Meanwhile, Republican Congressman Thomas Massey is taking aim at Attorney General Pam Bondi for the Justice Department's handling of the files.
Speaker 9: Ultimately, it's her who is responsible for the document production. According to our law, the Attorney General, it's not Todd Blanche.
Speaker 4: It's not the people below.
Speaker 9: Then you can assign asks to people, but you can't assign your responsibility.
Speaker 3: Republican Thomas Massey appeared on ABC's This Week Heard Sundays on Bloomberg Radio. The latest trunch of Justice Department documents, as well as a cash of emails from Epstein's Yahoo account show he also worked behind the scenes at the World Economic Forum to help his friends score accommodations and meetings with billionaires and government officials at the event. The DOJ files include messages between Epstein and World Economic Forum President Borga Brenda. Brenda says he had been completely unaware of Epstein's criminal activities.
Speaker 2: Nathan authorities are saying a shooting during a Rhode Island youth hockey game has left three people dead, including the shooter. Authorities say they believe the shooting was a targeted attack stemming from a family dispute. And here's Potucket Police Chief Tina Gonsalves. We probably had about one hundred people within the station that we talked to.
Speaker 4: We can also tell you.
Speaker 6: That a good Samaritan stepped in and interjected in this scene, and that's probably what led to a swift end of this tragic event.
Speaker 2: And that's paw Tucket Police Chief TENA. Gunsalvis, who says the shooter died from an apparent self inflicted gun to shot wound. Gun Salvis identify the shooter as Robert Dorgan, who said she also went by the name ROBERTA.
Speaker 4: Esposito.
Speaker 3: Well, Karen, let's get to the latest on Nancy Guthrie's disappearance. The search for Today's show hosts Savannah Guthrie's mother is now into a third week. Investigators are consulting with management at Walmart to develop leads. The Ozark Trail Hiker pack backpack that the suspect was wearing in surveillance video from Nancy Guthries's porch is sold exclusively at Walmart. Investigators also say a glove found near the home was sent for DNA testing. Steven Jensen is a former investigator from the FBI's Washington Field office.
Speaker 10: Descriptors like the clothing, the globe, the unique culture that he was wearing.
Speaker 4: Can we identify where this was purchased?
Speaker 10: And it sounds like Walmart is a prime retailer for many of these items, and then you're looking for patterns inside of the retail data.
Speaker 3: It's former FBI investigator Stephen Jensen. P mc County Sheriff Chris Nanos also says members of Guthrie's family, including siblings and spouses, have been ruled out as suspects. President Trump told The New York Post he would ask the Justice Department to seek the death penalty if Nancy Guthrie is not returned alive.
Speaker 2: Nathan, Let's turn to the markets now. Futures are lower as Wall Street returns to a holiday shortened trading week, and it will once again be a busy week for earning. To get a preview with Bloomberg's Charlie.
Speaker 11: Pellett, Investors are looking beyond the headline and guidance numbers for clarity on AI capital investments. Mark Lushini is chief investment strategist at Jenny Montgomery Scott. He's watching revenue.
Speaker 10: I mean, right now we're seeing not only estimates obviously, as we're closing out confessions. He's in for the first for the fourth quarter, continue to beat expectations. That's a pretty heavy pace, not only on earnings but revenues.
Speaker 11: Among this week's most closely watched reports will be Walmart, also reporting tech names, Palo Alto Networks, analog devices and Cadence Design Systems in New York.
Speaker 3: Charlie Pellett, Bloomberg Radio, all right, Charlie, thank you. May have some deal news on this day observed. I think we could say the Financial Times is are putting the Danahers near a ten billion dollar deal to acquire medical technology for Massimo. The purchase of Mark Danahers largest acquisition since it's twenty one billion dollar takeover of Sitiva in twenty twenty. Masimo shares up thirty eight percent in early trading.
Speaker 2: Hey then shares a bhp. They are at more than one percent in Europe. The world's largest minor posted earnings at the upper end of analyst expectations. A year's long effort to shore up copper production, combined with a historic metals rally, offset a lackluster period for its giant iron ore business time now for a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world, and for that we're joined by Bloomberg's and Michael Barr.
Speaker 4: Michael, good morning, Good morning, Karen.
Speaker 12: It is a tragic day for an Indianapolis community. Authorities, say a beech Grove officer was shot and killed Monday while responding to a domestic incident, and another officer was wounded. Thirty three year old officer Brian La was killed at the scene and the suspect fled. Sergeant John Perne with Indiana State Police said the suspect was caught.
Speaker 13: An alert community member flagged down a police officer and said, hey, something's not right, and they were correct. They pointed us in the direction of where we they believe the suspect was hiding. An impd Swatt was able to move in within minutes of that tip.
Speaker 12: Sergeant Pernes says officer Elliot had been with the department a little over the year. The second officer is expected to survive. A federal judge has ordered and exhibit about nine people enslaved by George Washington to be restored at his former home in Philadelphia after President Donald Trump's administration took it down last month. The order came on President's Day. The City of Philadelphia sued last month after the National Parks Service removed the panels from Independence National Historical Park. Tributes continued to come in for actor Robert Duvall. His family confirmed he died Monday at his Virginia Farm. Dval sat his most quotable line. It came from The Apocalypse.
Speaker 4: Now Hello, the Spill.
Speaker 1: Of Black Pup of the Morning.
Speaker 12: Among his many films, Duval is also remembered for his role as Tom Hagen and The Godfather and The Godfather Part two.
Speaker 6: Nobody has ever gone down a New York police captain.
Speaker 12: Never.
Speaker 4: It would be disastrous.
Speaker 3: All the five families would come after you, Sonny, the Corleone family would be outcast. Even the old nice political protection would run for COVID.
Speaker 12: He also wrote, directed, and starred in the acclaim movie The Apostle, and was hailed for his performance in the TV mini series Lonesome Dove. Robert Devall was ninety five Global News twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with Bloomberg News. Now Michael Barr and this is Bloomberg Herron.
Speaker 4: Well, thanks Michael all the time.
Speaker 2: Now for our Bloomberg Sports update, and for that we bring in John stash Hour Menks.
Speaker 14: Darren do College basketball Michigan for the first time since twenty thirteen. Houston is now ranked second, but the Cougars lost at sixth ranked Iowa State seventy to sixty seven. Duke is now ranked third easy win over Syracuse one oh one to sixty four. Speaking of easy wins, US five nothing over Sweden and the women's hockey semifinals, the US team is six and zero by a cumulative score of thirty one to one. Play Canada for the gold medal Thursday. A gold medal in the bobs led for America and Lena Myers Taylor. That's a Bloomberg Sports update.
Speaker 4: Stay with us.
Speaker 2: More from Bloomberg day Break coming up after this.
Speaker 1: Coast to coast on Bloomberg Radio, nationwide on Sirius XM, and around the world on Bloomberg dot Com and the Bloomberg Business opp This is Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 4: Good morning on Nathan Hager.
Speaker 3: Geneva is the epicenter of diplomacy today, with the US holding high level talks both on Iran's nuclear program and the war in Ukraine. President Trump says he will be involved in the Iran discussion indirectly.
Speaker 6: Typically, Rans are very tough negotiator and good negotiators, or band I would say they bad negotiators because we could have had a deal instead of sending the V twos into knockout their nuclear potential.
Speaker 3: I was President Trump of Board Air Force one last night. This morning, were joined by Bloomberg Chief Europe correspondent Oliver Crook ollie, Good morning. What are we expecting from this next round of Iran talks?
Speaker 15: Yeah, well, listen in a very tall order for the Trump administration trying to resolve or at least make progress on two of the most sort of complicated geopolitical crises and situations that we've got, both Russia and Ukraine, and of course Iran and the United States, which are now in open dialogue about kind of what the future of that relationship looks like. What the United States would like to achieve is to get forward on a sort of framework for the sort of denuclearization, the sort of commitment against enriching uranium, those sorts of things with the Iranians want in return is sort of sanctioned relief. And given sort of how tall an order this is, we should say that these conversations with Iran, unlike the ones with Russia and Ukraine, these are still at the very sort of early stages here. But really upping the stakes here is the fact that there's a second aircraft carrier that's headed into the regions. We also had over the last couple of days the Iranians Revolutionary Guard. They're holding exercises again in potential preparation for some kind of conflict. And that really is the kind of stakes here that have been set for the stage, whether it's President Trump, whether it's Mark or Rubio for the last couple of days, basically all saying that they prefer a diplomatic resolution to this issue, but making very clear that forrest is certainly an option that is on the table.
Speaker 4: So we'll be watching very closely.
Speaker 15: In Geneva, they've been speaking for about about two hours now so far this morning, so we see if we get anything out of that. And as far as the markets are concerned, as we take as a sort of barometer for how worried they are, you know, the oil market looking pretty sedate this morning, so we're watching very closely what we get on that, certainly.
Speaker 3: But with those two aircraft carriers in the region, does that suggest something about the timing that the US is looking for in terms of hammering out a final deal here.
Speaker 15: Well, I think that that's sort of a very sort of interesting side of it, right, because this is something that is obviously intended to escalatet the pressure on the Iranians. But given how complicated any kind of deal between the two sides is going to have to be. You know, I don't imagine that this is something you can just hammer out in a couple of summits. The first round of talks was on February the sixth. This is only the second round of talks. When you think about the difficulty and the diplomacy here required in order to strike a deal, this is not something that is likely to happen overnight. That being said, we have been surprised in the past by Trump foreign policy efforts that have yielded something that was completely unexpected. We think, of course, of the truce or the ceasefire that was arrived at between the Israelis and Hamas, which really is something that at first I think there was very little optimism could really be achieved and then suddenly sort of came into fruition rather quickly.
Speaker 3: And in terms of the Russia Ukraine discussions, I've kind of lost track of which round we're on there. But are we expecting any breakthroughs in Geneva today?
Speaker 15: Yeah, I think that the sort of expectations are fairly low from the sort of renewed effort with the trilateral talks that involve the United States, the Ukrainians, and the Russians were basically this is the third meeting in about three weeks, so there certainly has been an increase of the cadence of these sort of negotiations. That being said, again, you listen to Marco Rubio while he's been in Munich, while he's been in Budapest over the last couple of days, he's basically saying, some days I feel better about it than others, but at the end of the day, you know, I'm not really in a position to say whether or not we're any we're any closer to a resolution for this war. What we did hear, interestingly from Zelenski at the Munich Security conference over the weekend was basically saying that if we can negotiate a ceasefire for two months, then the Ukrainians are willing to hold an election in Ukraine, which is, you know, a sort of meaningful step from the President of Ukraine, particularly since the Trump administration in Trump himself has put some pressure on the Ukrainians to do that. That being said, we should also say that the Russians have been absolutely hammering the energy infrastructure over in Ukraine, and we should just say, just to give people a reminder here, the temperature in Kiev right now is seventeen degrees fahrenheit with a low of ten degrees without about hundreds of thousands of people across the country periodically without electricity and without heat.
Speaker 2: This is Bloombergy Daybreak, your morning podcast stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 3: Look for us on your podcast feed by six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, or anywhere else you listen.
Speaker 2: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg in ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg ninety two nine in Boston, and nationwide on serious XM Channel one twenty one.
Speaker 3: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app now with Apple CarPlay and Android Atto interfaces.
Speaker 2: And don't forget to subscribe to Bloomberg News Now. It's the latest news whenever you want it in five minutes or less. Search Bloomberg News Now on your favorite podcast platform to stay informed all day long. I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 4: And I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 3: Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Day Bray