Speaker 1: I am all in. Let's gus you.
Speaker 2: I am all in with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: So listen, guys, I'm gonna let's get a little business out of the way. I'm gonna be appearing at the Motor City Comic Con, taking place in Detroit, Michigan, the week end of November ten through twelve, twenty twenty three. I think it's a little bit outside the city, but come and see me there. MotorCity Comic Con November ten through twelve, twenty twenty three. Also a Galaxy Con Columbus December two and three, twenty twenty three. Hope to see everybody there. Let's have some fun. Season five, episode twenty one, Blame Booze and Melville. I am joined by my Intrepid crew. But first iHeart Radio and one of a lot of productions bring you this episode and this Intrepid crew, Amy Sugarman, Danielle Romo and a very dry terror suit. Tara and I and the team gathered quite at the rainstorm. I hope everybody survived intact.
Speaker 2: I didn't have any of it.
Speaker 3: You didn't have any of it.
Speaker 2: It was just sunny here, sunny, sunny Sonny.
Speaker 1: Oh really, so you're up there. You didn't get any anything. Francisco, you avoided it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we just had nothing.
Speaker 4: You didn't have a hurricane or an earthquake.
Speaker 2: We did have an earthquake about a week or so before, Like I woke me up at like seven am.
Speaker 5: They're calling it the hurriquake.
Speaker 2: I don't want to laugh. It's not good to laugh. I shouldn't laugh because those things are serious. Both things are serious, I know, just ours work, Scott. Did you feel the shape?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got a little shaken over here. I went through the north Ridge quake. I was here, I was visiting.
Speaker 2: So I went through that. You remember how like, uh, either a few years before that was the San Francisco one.
Speaker 1: Yes, remember I wasn't here for that. I wasn't in LA for that. But I remember I.
Speaker 2: Was in San Francisco for the San Francisco one and you were in LA for the north Ridge one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That was bad.
Speaker 1: We have we have. That was bad experience. Bad. I thought I was going to die in that thing.
Speaker 2: Oh really, you were scared.
Speaker 1: I was on the sixth floor of a apartment, uh condo complex, and it felt like and everything in the kitchen was exploding and everything coming out, and you could hear the explosions and everything falling over. Oh, and I was with one who I was visiting at that time, and uh, I just threw the blanket over the top of us, got on top of her, rolled as off the bed onto the side of the bed, because that's what they tell you to do, to get on the side of the bed. So if debris is falling, it hits the bed first and it slows it down before it hits you. Kind of deal. And then I mean I felt, actually felt the grim Reaper on the other side of the bedroom door. I was that scared. So I thought this, there's going to be a giant hole going to open up in this floor and we're going down. Yeah. It was that violent. The shaking was that violent. I thought, there's no way this structure can withstand this. So terrifying, And then they read card of the building. They got everybody out of the building. So we're all like out there. Nobody that anybody we'd seen it. We'd seen each other in the laundry room or whatever, but but everybody was milling a belder. But no way like three am. Oh yeah, yeah, we couldn't go back in.
Speaker 2: No, you were really in the center of it.
Speaker 1: They let us back in for ten minutes to get essentials, and then we had to go to a hotel. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, oh my god.
Speaker 3: Away ninety four was scary.
Speaker 4: I remember that because I grew up over there too, and I have never seen my dad so scared of my entire life other than that night. I, as a four year old, vividly remember that entire entire night trauma.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought that was it. I thought, this is it.
Speaker 2: Curtains No, so I could feel the San Francisco one obviously, like very intensely, and it went on and on and on. But I wasn't in the city, so I was, you know, twenty minutes away, so it was much less. But my dad was in the city and like would have normally gotten on the bridge, but that was when the bridge fell. Part of the bridge fell, so he had to.
Speaker 1: Go Golden Gate Bridge.
Speaker 2: That it was the Bay Bridge, so at the piece of the bay. Yeah, the upper deck fell, and then another freeway called the Nimens Freeway. It's not there anymore, pancaked, and so yeah, I was terrifying, but it wasn't as bad if you were like on the outskirts, and then the problem was the fires. I mean, it's welcome to you know, natural disaster talk.
Speaker 1: Listen speaking of earthquakes. Well, I tell you, Laura, I must have felt the tremors coming when Emily was about to get the magazine or anyway, it's.
Speaker 2: A segue from a king.
Speaker 1: Let me choose, but I think we are minus a synopsisization and we need one. Danielle, You're on all right.
Speaker 4: This is season five, episode twenty one, Blame Booz and Melville, Air date May tenth, two thousand and five.
Speaker 3: Lorlai discovers her.
Speaker 4: Comments about Emily were not edited out of the article. Big surprise there. In braces for the fallout, Rory's paper career hits a snag, and Suki goes into labor. A rival buyer interferes with Luke's attempt to purchase the Twickham estate, and Emily becomes the patron of a Russian ballet dancer.
Speaker 2: By the way, that was just weird.
Speaker 1: It was weird, but it all kind of worked, yeah kinda. I mean it wasn't hilarious. I mean I thought I thought the ballerina was the bit was funnier than the Michale bit.
Speaker 2: I totally agree with you, Scott. I thought that was they should have just like it was the joke that just needed one joke. It was.
Speaker 1: It was surreal in this really great way. Yeah, they just they just went to the well one too many. Yeah, it just got like cringey.
Speaker 5: They just need to give Emily something to do. That's what A felt.
Speaker 2: I thought the Kirk stuff was way better, like finding out that he has almost a quarter of a million dollars like that, two forty.
Speaker 1: Seven dollars and fifty four cents.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he was so mean about it, Like I didn't I did not expect to see that side of Kirk.
Speaker 2: He was.
Speaker 1: He was like a he was like a corporate raider. No heart, you know, no soul, just take the building away. It was very anti stars Hollow, didn't you think, Yeah, that something like that was taking place in stars Hollow after Luke had been so you know, brotherly and uncle Lee to to Sean for these yeah who life for these at least these five seasons. I thought it was.
Speaker 2: Very It's true you wouldn't expect Kirk to go up against Luke because he so revers him that you're like whoa bro.
Speaker 1: I mean, it created him some very funny scenes. I'll admit I chuckled through all of them. Yeah, but it just wasn't It didn't ring Star's hollowy to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was good.
Speaker 1: It was good, tongue in cheek.
Speaker 2: Fun and yeah, I enjoyed it. I also, okay, so we'll go to the opening. I thought, yeah, true, we take it very serious. I thought the opening was cute with them dipping. They were they were obviously doing like chocolate fondue, and they only wanted the marshmallows, and you know, Emily really wanted them to have the fruit. But I was like, oh, that makes me want to do chocolate fawn doing.
Speaker 1: Did you find this getting a little bit risquels?
Speaker 2: Was there some tawdry jokes there that I went over my head?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: Well, the sure, Yeah. I didn't catch it even in the beginning in the opening.
Speaker 2: We do do we have the scripts so we can no.
Speaker 1: No, I can, I can tell you. I mean give it.
Speaker 4: I remember the stuff between Luke and Lorelai. There was some I thought were at the table.
Speaker 1: When they're going through the pictures of the ballerinas in the ballet Dancers.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, yes, that was a little bit.
Speaker 1: And then they found one guy who looked like he was, you know, right right, So they went into this whole thing and then Laurel I makes the comment I'd like that dipped in chocolate, and I was like, what is going on here? What audience they I did? I mean, I did exactly what you were doing. I covered my eyes.
Speaker 2: I was like, it's so funny because I don't have it in my notes. But then now thinking about it, I'm like, oh wait, it was.
Speaker 1: A little it was a bit risque.
Speaker 2: Little chocolate saucy dippy did.
Speaker 1: I guess they're both in a state of openness, shalln't we say? Because they I mean, I don't know how to put this. That would be very careful.
Speaker 2: But well, once in a while Gilmore girls does go there like that, like you, it's not once in a blue moon. They definitely. I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's like, can I ask you, is this girl talk? Or is this is this appropriate mother daughter talk?
Speaker 2: It's girl talk. It's not mother daughter girl talk.
Speaker 1: But it's not mother daughter Was it odd that a mother and daughter were it was funny?
Speaker 5: I don't think it's I don't think it's odd for Laura. I.
Speaker 1: I guess it's not odd for la or was it?
Speaker 2: Also like Loralai's humor sometimes goes over Emily, like her dirty stuff. I feel like she kind of thinks Emily's not getting it, but Emily probably is getting.
Speaker 1: It would never enter in Emily's mind, right, it's a bit crude.
Speaker 2: Now that it's coming back to me, I'm kind of laughing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was funny. I mean, listen again along for the ride chuckles ha ha ha. But it was like, hmm, yeah.
Speaker 2: Now. The part I didn't get was what was all the transferring from the jeep to Rory's car and backwards? Was it laundry? I didn't get that. I was like, what's happening?
Speaker 5: I thought it was for the baby.
Speaker 2: Shower, I know, but then they talked about the baby shower, and I'm like, what is all that?
Speaker 4: Like all the decorations. Yeah, I think it makes sense for a baby shower.
Speaker 1: But that was l she was out of her dorm.
Speaker 5: Oh is it summer almost? Yes?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I'm so dumb.
Speaker 1: Thank you no, no, I I you know, Hannah gave me that one.
Speaker 2: And I will give a shout out to what I think was the Diane von Furstenberg wrap dress over sort of the tight jeans with the flair that was sort of very of the time, because remember that everyone was wearing over jeans, were like fassy dresses over jeans.
Speaker 5: That was a look or like leggings.
Speaker 2: I think it was more gene.
Speaker 5: I was more likings.
Speaker 3: How uncomfortable, miss.
Speaker 1: I did miss the sixties.
Speaker 2: In the early seventies, I definitely dresses like that over jeans. It was a whole look and actually I wish I could bring that look back, but I digres. I digress mm hmm. Like low rise, I love.
Speaker 1: Lower Stones T shirts.
Speaker 2: That's why I love Rolling Stones T shirts and low rise jeans. I'm such a fan like low rise jean.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, there's nothing I despise more. I will never purchase again in my life.
Speaker 2: Never literally.
Speaker 5: I just high high waisted jeans all the way.
Speaker 2: No, horrible, You.
Speaker 1: Don't like low rise jeans down to your hip bone? No, I didn't like that.
Speaker 2: I did like like like Paris Hilton like read No, I mean like back then with true religions.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he used to wear more like.
Speaker 4: The Hollister jeans that like literally had like a zipper this big and a button like, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: I loved it all right, So we go into the diner. Now, what is the appropriate cost of a wheat toast plate.
Speaker 1: It's a dollar now, it's a dollar ten.
Speaker 2: That seemed very affordable. Too low, it goes up.
Speaker 5: I think for now that's normal. But I don't know about two thousand and five.
Speaker 2: What does it cost if you went to a restaurant somebody like, just look this up. So you went to Denny's and you just got toast? What does that cost?
Speaker 1: They? I guarantee you they bangive.
Speaker 2: Come on, that's what I was gonna say. Three fifty Scott, I'm with you.
Speaker 4: I'm looking it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, could be more, No, I can't be sour dough bag get could be more?
Speaker 1: Go in?
Speaker 2: Whoa? So prices have doubled in twenty years.
Speaker 1: I guess not double Lukes, right.
Speaker 2: Not that I would dare compare your diner to Dennis.
Speaker 1: But Denny's is a chain, it's a national chain. Luke's is one one place you know you're gonna you're gonna pay a little more for the quality.
Speaker 2: That's sort of an interesting question. Really fast, say we were to compare Lukes to some you know, thing that exists. It's way above Denny's. I'm like, but like, do you guys know farm Shop in La I feel like it's a level below that. It's not so it's not so upscale. It's like, what would be a diner that we could go to, would be like Bob's Big Boy. No, way above that. I think that's fast food. I think it's way better than that I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: It's like, Okay, but here's the thing.
Speaker 4: It can't be a chain because Luke's is not a chain, right, So, like, the best thing I can I can relate it to is in Tara. Maybe Scott my note know this reference. But cecs in Oh yep, it's CEC's. It's a really dope brunch spot that's family owned. There's not another one of it, and it's awesome.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: But the thing about Luke's is he doesn't have the volume, the daily volume that requires him to skimp on quality. So if you're getting that massive volume, your costs are huge and you want to pay much less per item, and so the quality goes down just to accommodate the volume. So he doesn't have to worry about that. So everything is organic and great and fresh. He gets it. Yeah, yeah, best stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm going to throw in a name for anyone that's ever been to Lake Tahoe and say, Luke's dinner is very comparable to a fire sign. If you're from Tahoe, give me a give me a shout, because I feel like it's very like local diner. They got a lot of regulars. But then like, if you're from out of town, you go there too?
Speaker 1: Can we do an event this winter? I want to ski up there for sure?
Speaker 2: Okay, So we noticed that you haven't raised the toast prices in a really long time. And do you give a discount if you eat it dry? Which then made me want to ask you all, what do you like on your toast?
Speaker 1: No, because I think the jam and isn't the jam and all the accoutrement on the table?
Speaker 2: I would think those little packets of smuckers. Do you jam your toast? If you were going to have wheat toast, what would you put on it?
Speaker 1: Olive oil jam? I like strawberry.
Speaker 2: Jam, olive oil.
Speaker 1: I don't use butter olive oil.
Speaker 2: Olive oil and do not use butter because it's olive oil is way better for you.
Speaker 1: Just because I eat so much of it, right, so once, while I like some butter.
Speaker 4: For sure, I've never held olive oil before me either, But you guys, it's.
Speaker 5: Not with that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but like toast olive oil, Oh sure, Yeah.
Speaker 1: If I have eggs and toast in the morning, I put all of I toast my rye bread and put olive oil on it. Yeah, sometimes honey on top of that.
Speaker 2: You never like a restaurant where you dip the oh honey, you never dip it into the.
Speaker 5: Olive oil for sure, of course, not like it's just I think of like butter and jam.
Speaker 3: Yeah, same, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Honey is a good call though, on an English muffin, I like butter and jam, but I might go for honey.
Speaker 4: But with a drizzle of honey, is yeah amazing.
Speaker 1: I mean you're sitting there, you're eating bland eggs, right, you can eat bland toast. You know you gotta spice it up, you gotta put some jam. True in a camp, in some kind of a prison camp somewhere, you know we're here your bland stuff, Eat it and go back to yourself. We want jam, all right.
Speaker 2: So then Laura, I walks in. There's a little kiss and they talk about the party in New York and the article. So they seem to just be really grooven and cruising.
Speaker 1: I like to til, I like to Tailor phone call. I thought it was.
Speaker 2: Yes, the phone rings and Caesar answers and it's Tailor and you can literally see him in the window. And we kind of know that you're moving forward with the Twickham house purchase, and uh, is this where we find out that there's another bidder no that comes back in? Yeah, okay, but you've overcharged Kirk by a penny, so we're just definitely getting.
Speaker 1: I settle out a buck five because I can't stay with them anymore, right, and then has to complain on the sales tax or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. So then we cut to Rory at the paper and now I'm satisfied because she's really thriving. She's in the pink top and she's got everything. She's jamming, she knows everybody where everything is. She's just firing on all cylinders, crushing the job. And we get the We get Logan and he says Ace and I like all of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was all puppy dogging all over her all.
Speaker 2: Wait, I think, wait, now did we get Are we to that part where he's there in person or is this on the phone and he's talking about her sister's engagement. Somebody keep me honest, No, keep me honest. I can't now. I want to make sure I'm right now. He goes he's there, So this is where he's there. Yeah, you are right. So they're talking about the engagement party and that she's gonna have to cut out of Friday night dinner to get there, and he wants her to go, which I think is also huge.
Speaker 5: I thought it was too soon for him to ask her to get out of Friday night dinner, Like that's a full commitment and they've been dating for like what a month?
Speaker 1: Was Friday night dinner such a big deal at this point? Would well, don't you think? Don't you think Richard and Emily would understand, especially with.
Speaker 4: I think they will be thrilled if Logan Hansburger was like, hey, you got to hang out with me tonight.
Speaker 3: They would be like, go on, sweetie.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but for it, I mean, is like I think no, I think they'd be totally fine with it. But like Logan's telling her, like, get out of it, I think if it was coming from Rory, I don't know. For me, I just thought of it like he's really comfortable now, like he just jumped right in. He's like, oh, just get out of it. You see them every Friday. But I would have liked it to come from Rory being like, oh, yeah, let me just tell my grandparents.
Speaker 2: That actually didn't bother me as much as I'm like, whoa, she's going back into the fire, Like she's literally going to the engagement party with this family that ripped her to shreds. That's true, but good for her, okay, And I think good for him that he's not like, hey, you don't have to come. I know it was normal.
Speaker 4: I think she feels like she is now interning with the dad so like, and she has been doing really well, and she's been cool with a sister, so why.
Speaker 1: Not, right, like the dad giving her the job? Is the apology?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Interesting? Okay, Okay?
Speaker 1: Was she going to get an apology directly from the grandpa? Medicated?
Speaker 2: Medicated?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: No, I'm feel like weirdly, even like when I'm not watching thinking about missus Huntsburger and feeling.
Speaker 1: Like he gets a phone call from the medicated mother. Hello, are you Rory? Yes? Were you here the other night and we were awful to you? Oh right, okay, I have something written down here to say we are Oh we're so sorry. Anyway, Tata, were you here the other night when we were awful to us? No idea what any of it means. She's forgotten about it. She wasn't. My gosh, she doesn't recall it at all.
Speaker 2: I just like it's subtle. But like when I was thinking, because I I know that Leanne Hunley returns, right, that's not our only time seeing her, and I just think like, oh man, wow, she did seem a little.
Speaker 1: I just I just wrote him a great scene. Go ahead, go ahead, I'm giving it away to you. Go ahead, all right.
Speaker 2: So we do get the one question is he treating you all right? You know, which foreshadows a little bit like, uh like, just not unicorns and rainbows with that guy, Mitcham No, it's not.
Speaker 4: It's not.
Speaker 1: You know, he's he's a tough he's a hard ass. He's always testing. He's testing everybody.
Speaker 4: So the thing which will yeah, you know what I'm kind of surprised about is and maybe Logan it just seems like something Logan would do, but maybe he doesn't want to cross this line, like him talking to his dad being like I like this girl, like please don't be mean to her.
Speaker 2: He's not. He would do it, but it won't work, so he doesn't bother doing it.
Speaker 3: I don't you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I don't know that he has the runway to say that to his dad. His dad would eat his face off.
Speaker 2: I think he talks back to the dad. I think he stands up to the dad, but he's also sort of like it won't.
Speaker 4: Leave it be Yeah, because it's interesting because right now, as we've seen me seeing it for the first time, Mitchen seems kind of chill, not chill, but he seems like he's like a cool a cool cat, you know what I mean. Like, obviously I can tell, especially at the end of this episode, that is changing real quick, but at this moment, he seems like he's kind of like, yeah, head guy in charge, but he's kind of cool.
Speaker 1: I haven't argue he's intense.
Speaker 2: This guy, he's intense. But here's my question and I'm jumping ahead, but just let me because Danielle brought it up, so be mean to her on Instagram. Did Mitcham do the wrong thing happen the Queen? Did Mitcham? I mean, Mitchell's just giving his opinion, right, and everyone's like, and I get it. You'll learn more as we go into these next episodes, but it's like Mitchell can give his opinion, it's Rory's job to ignore him, right, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like, don't take the hit. If you take the hit personally and then go away, then he's right.
Speaker 2: You know, like you must have had plenty of people probably along the way tell you, oh, you're not cut out for this business, Scott, or you're not going to be a great actor, or like even maybe after Guilmard girls, oh your career's over, or you don't know, and you just have to go Okay, thanks for sharing, but I'm just going to keep at it if that's what you choose to do, or you can also pivot if that's what you choose to do, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Yeah, it made me think about like I feel like everyone at some point in our lives, like you, you had that person who was like, you're not good at this, you know, in some way, shape or form, and and she like I mean, she's valid to feel upset, for sure, but like you said, Amy, like it's his opinion, Like she can pivot and do whatever else she wants and and continue her career.
Speaker 2: People tell us every week, we're not good at this podcast, and we just we're still here.
Speaker 3: Take ourselves up, and we just keep on trucking.
Speaker 1: Being good at a podcast. It's about being ourselves exactly.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right. So my thing is like, and again it's sort.
Speaker 1: Of a and if you want a to Z button down in order structure, then go listen to the ninety nine point nine percent of other podcasts and be bored to death.
Speaker 2: Right totally, My thing is like this.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm sleep sleep in five minutes.
Speaker 2: So my thing is like, and I know we'll continue this conversation because I do have sort of a a thing to say at the end that people will get mad at me for. But okay, so Mitcham said it. Okay, so be butt hurt for a second and then go whin your pulletzer or go when your emmy or whatever.
Speaker 3: You like, as like to prove him that, yeah.
Speaker 1: No, it's exactly what she did. Maybe yeah, because I don't see any evidence. I don't see any evidence of what he's talking about being accurate. When she did that article and Curbs or something, you know, Doyle gave her some ridiculous assignment, and she did all of this research and impressed the hell out of him, and she got a better article and a better you know what I mean. Right, She showed capable of digging deep and getting to the facts.
Speaker 5: But I think it's I think it's his way of trying to get her out of Logan's life.
Speaker 3: Well, that's what we have just to say it. I tried.
Speaker 1: Why do you want her out of Logan's life? She's so obviously, you know.
Speaker 2: For the same reason, obviously a.
Speaker 1: Good catch, you know what I'm saying. So why would Mitcham want Rory out of Logan's life?
Speaker 2: The grandpa doesn't like her, and neither doesn't.
Speaker 1: What the grandpa says, he think he thinks is a gold digger.
Speaker 2: No, they don't.
Speaker 3: They don't think it's they.
Speaker 4: They didn't even meet her before.
Speaker 3: They didn't like her, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: It's not her, it's her as a waiting. Yeah, she's a history that she can't control.
Speaker 2: Rock up Gilmore or whatever.
Speaker 5: Well, I did see a comment on Instagram that actually made me think. So we were talking about how like, oh, but she's a Gilmore, like it's in her blood. But and like the way she looked at like, you know, the the house when she walked in, and they're like, we have to remember that, like she really wasn't in this world they brought up lower lie.
Speaker 1: If I was Mitch, I would say this is the best of both worlds. She wasn't raised to have her head up her own urse, right, Yeah, she still has the buzz, but.
Speaker 2: I think they don't think the Gilmour's. That's what I'm saying, is like, Okay, so if we're talking levels, right, Huntsburgers are even higher up. They're Rockefeller, they're Rothschild.
Speaker 1: No, they're not that level. Stop no OANs No, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think you're wrong.
Speaker 1: He's not. He's not. No, he's not one of the great families of the United States, the wealthiest families in the United States.
Speaker 2: He's not the fine So then he has thirteen newspapers, but he's above Gilmore in his mind.
Speaker 3: He's Richard's not even.
Speaker 1: An owner of that insurance agency, that insurance That's.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying Huntsburgers are above, Yeah, but they're not roth Child mind. Come on, okay, fine, bad choice of what's the guy?
Speaker 1: I'm saying a couple hundred million not not billions. There are a hundred millionaires maybe net worth, but I don't what's.
Speaker 2: The guy that owns Fox?
Speaker 1: What's that guy's names? Got some influence? Sure? Do you? So you think he's on a Murdoch level huns Burger.
Speaker 2: I don't know what we're supposed to think. I think we're supposed to think he's something above.
Speaker 1: You know what bothers me is that we've never seen mitcham Huntsberger's office. Now, if they established this guy in an office and he's a super powerful guy with this unbelievable office, then you could get a sense of where he stands in a food chain. But we haven't seen that yet.
Speaker 5: Well, from this episode, when he said his times all most done at the paper, it made me think that he just goes from paper to paper and consults like that. That was my takeaway. Don't know anyone else, yeh, that's what he does. Like, yeah, he just like I didn't think he has an office. He just travels a lot.
Speaker 1: Oh No, he's got to have an office.
Speaker 2: No, I get it. He's got a total like, right, he's got a whole Huntsburger building, but he's just at this paper because they just took over this paper, right, So he's just in there kind of Oh, I just bought this, so now I need to They want to.
Speaker 1: Show us how powerful this family is, then they need to take us into an office building and take us into Mitchem Huntsberger's office and see him operate, you know, from his office, because those are impressive offices, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I think I don't know, Like I think it's kind of left for interpretation, but I still do get the vibe, Like, I don't know, he's above her, he's above the Gilmour's.
Speaker 1: Or whatever he is. He's an owner, he owns Richard doesn't own the insurance company.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. That's what he was a.
Speaker 1: Glorified VP.
Speaker 2: And Richard came from money too, but then I think he made all his own too. So I just think the Huntsburgers consider themselves not Logan. Logan doesn't think this way. But I think the Huntsburgers, the Grandpa and mitcham and maybe you know, others missus Hunsburger obviously that they're.
Speaker 1: Above the Sure, yeah they are.
Speaker 2: So anyway, I digress. I'll get to my bomb drop at the end of this episode. But they have more power, yeah, and more money, and they just.
Speaker 1: Kill their media influencers, you know.
Speaker 2: Because remember he says they not he either the grandpa or the grandpa says, this has nothing to do with your mother. They acknowledge at that dinner, like, this isn't because your mother had you at sixteen and went to Stars Hollow. This is like, you're not of the caliber that we want for.
Speaker 1: This exactly what he's saying. This is crazy and.
Speaker 2: That's Oh see, I agree that it's not because of LOURAI. I think it's they don't consider the Gilmour's up to their level.
Speaker 5: That's how I thought of it too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm on Scott's page.
Speaker 4: I think it all has to do with the fact that she wasn't bred as a baby to follow the Gilmour way.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think if Laura l I had grown up in the traditional way and they'd gotten to nowhere at the country club, and it would have been fine, right, it would have been fine, would have been appropriate that her daughter was dating their son, and it wouldn't have been it would not have been an embarrassment.
Speaker 2: I disagree, respectfully disagree. So now we get to the thing that.
Speaker 1: Really we're going to still do that ski thing for sure?
Speaker 2: Of course? Yeah, I mean we'll disagree.
Speaker 1: I don't want to extremely powerful compared to me. I'm like, I'm like a Gilmore.
Speaker 5: Oh God, I don't so.
Speaker 2: Okay, Now we switched to the limo and we see Lorlai and Luke in the limo getting onto the Hudson Parkway. They've just come from the party. Clearly they didn't need anything because they're definitely tipsy and they're getting along quite well. But you know, we're getting that scene for reasons to come. But what did you think of them in the limo and you're rubbing her leg? Did you notice that?
Speaker 1: It's a very special scene for me because it encapsulated how I feel about Lauren and how I feel about that relationship, the Luca Laureley relationship. And I'm going to share something. I don't know if she would want me to share this, but it's a you know, her mother had had just passed away, her biological mother had just passed away, and nobody, and she was so strong and such a pro about it, and she knew she had to film this very intimate scene with me, and I just really wanted to take care of her in that scene, which is you know, I mean, I've done it before in other scenes, but I especially felt so empathy, such empathy for her going through that and then still having to soul drawn and stick to a schedule and you know, be in a scene. And it was a fun scene, right, definitely a fun scene. She didn't have to carry the scene, and she was as bubbly and as wonderful as she always is. So for me that I mean, I just fell deeper in love with her, you know, as a friend, because of the strength that she was showing through that entire day in production, having just found out that, you know, horrible information. And look, I apologize if if this is too much information. I apologize to her if she doesn't want that out, But I just I just want to say how much respect I have for her ability to just sort of just soldier on, you know, like the show must go on. I will deal with this in my own way, and very special scene for me, it's one of my it's actually my one of my favorite scenes that I've ever done with her, just because of the strength and the professionalism that she showed throughout that entire scene, and that you know, it was a limos scene, so it was like, you know, it was it didn't take forever to do the scene, but you know it took a couple hours, right, three or four hours? Three hours? Man?
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, it's a sweet scene. You really think that there you two are a couple. You're like, oh my god, I totally just the whole interaction and then the physicality of it because I didn't even at first notice, but you're like rubbing her leg and it's just the body language and the way you are. You're like, oh, that's that's why I think people love you guys as a couple, meaning it endures decades and decades and you're still like one of the favorite couples from television is because it so real.
Speaker 1: From the moment I met her in Toronto, I just I just I really wanted to just take care of her. You know. It's just I had this there's this instinct you have with people and what's the vibe about? And it's just that I just really liked her and I thought she was really charming and funny and all of that great stuff that you need to make good you know, to make good scenes with. And it was always just a very you know, just just just a very warm, very protect almost protective kind of a feeling I have for her and for her through that entire process. So anyway, that's so cool. Yeah, but I I that's why I uh. To me, that scene ranks right up there with the first time we see them together in Luke Steiner and you know, I need coffee. You said, you're an attic.
Speaker 2: That right, That's so sweet. That's so cool.
Speaker 1: So hats off to her for being such a pro.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's a great scene. You'd never know because she seems it's such a great scene. And then we follow it up with this sort of even better scene. But I was okay, So you then cut to you guys are in the bed upside down, which I was like, it's happening and the clothes are everywhere. Now, I at first, I think.
Speaker 1: The outside down thing was meant. It was meant to show you that it was a really.
Speaker 2: Wild night, right, what drunkie wild?
Speaker 1: Right? It got primal, right, like she stated, as long as we like the risk episodes X ray.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Now. I was confused, and maybe it was just me why she was so freaked out when she left. I did not get that. I did not get it at first, did you guys?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, because of the articles coming up.
Speaker 2: No, it's because she realizes you didn't have safe set. Oh yeah, right, So she was so freaked out and weirded out, and I was like, what is going on?
Speaker 1: She saw all the clothes thrown down in the primal nature.
Speaker 4: Of what yeah, and she acted as if it was like a one night stand there.
Speaker 3: I was just like, right, right, what woke?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's an every night stand, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: And we'll get to this eventually. But I have some thoughts about that, like, in particular, well.
Speaker 2: Should we talk about should we talk about it now or.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about it?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm like, what so, because there's a few scenes that like lead up to what I want to talk about it?
Speaker 2: Right, so we'll keep going Because I was very much like, what is going on? Why is she so weird it out? And then when we find out, I'm like, she's not sixteen, Like she knows what she's doing. So then I was like she's not on the pill, Like are they trying some methods that are a little dicey? Like anyway, we'll get to that. So okay, So then we see Rory with the bags and she's gotten the decorations from doceies and Laura lies kind of mad because the decorations sort of suck, but whatever, and then all of a sudden it's happening and Suki comes out of the house and is basically going into labor, and it was kind of funny. Rory's like, I can't watch this is did anyone like you? Yeah, the whole thing was weird because it's like, I never knew Rory to be freaked out by like birth, and like it's not like the baby's coming out at that moment, and it's.
Speaker 5: Like the second kid, Like Suki already has a kid. We've been through this.
Speaker 1: You know why I think they did that. And that's interesting, Tara that you bring that up, because I watched the episode. Now I remember Rory being kind of weirdly grossed out by anything having to do with birth, and I think now I know why they did it, because I think it was a very odd choice overall thematically, that laurel ized character would have to be so concerned about getting pregnant with Luke Luke's child in the first place. Why is that a problem for Laurel. I so if you have, because it just seems odd. It's a love story. They're together, they've destined to be together. And now she has some dialogue that says, well, I just you know, I just got rid of you, Rory, and I'm having enjoying my first moments as a free woman. I understand that. I get that, But you're talking about, you know, the seminal relationship, your life with a man, and it's working out, and she doesn't want to ruin it with a baby. What's she talking about? I mean, it just it doesn't seem just to track. So I think they do the Rory gross out stuff to make her, you know, anti Luke baby stuff seem kind of reasonable, not such a stretch.
Speaker 2: Maybe the only reason I think it was somewhat tracking. And I'll give that it's been a it took a big left turn a couple an episode or two ago. When she's you know, Richard says, the guy's coming that wants to buy the inn, and he may want to you know, bring you on as a consultant and you'll travel the world. And as we talked about we got kind of intense about it because I've always said there is a life that she doesn't live, meaning she never wants the Gilmour life. She doesn't want that, and she loved her Stars Hollow life, but it's that middle life. And we kind of talked about this that seems intriguing to her. And I think she's panicking because a baby prevents that choice. She doesn't get to travel, she wouldn't get to travel. I don't think it's about Luke. I think she's a very admitted.
Speaker 1: It's a big it's a big decision. I agree that's a big life changing decision. It is.
Speaker 2: And she's been raising a kid for sixteen eighteen years, sorry not sixteen, pardon me, eighteen nineteen, almost twenty one years now, but it has to start all over again.
Speaker 1: Is this really the writers taking a position on how they feel about children having children, because it's not. You know, they're sort of sucking everybody in to believe that this is the magical, you know, confluence relationship of the universe happening in Stars Hollow between these two you know, these this Romeo and Julia type of situation, you know what I mean. Yeah, and then it comes time to consume and perhaps a baby on the way, and it doesn't create joy in her. It creates trepidation, fear, and anxiety that's not consistent.
Speaker 2: And I think it's only not consistent because she's got this potential opportunity to have an experience she hasn't had. Right, like she loved she obviously made the choice to have Rory and raise her and leave home and build this life and stars hollow. But now she's launched Rory, right, She's fully got her launched essentially, so now she's like, oh, maybe it's me time now and I can think about traveling or doing all these things with my work or that I'm passionate about why she's.
Speaker 1: Like, Okay, now I get that, But why is she wasting Luke's time if she's not all in?
Speaker 2: Okay, I think she is all in in the relationship.
Speaker 1: She knows that that guy is s'sham house because he wants to have he wants to fill it with children.
Speaker 2: She doesn't know that. She just thinks.
Speaker 1: He's carrying around a horoscope and as wallet, you're the one eight years. I suffered three years. You dated all the bumps her and with her.
Speaker 2: That's her?
Speaker 1: What do you mean that's her? That's that's he. She knows how he feels.
Speaker 2: About her, yes, but she doesn't know that he wants kids.
Speaker 1: Oh, for God's sake, of course she doesn't.
Speaker 3: He never talked it.
Speaker 2: They've never talked about it.
Speaker 1: Gosh, guys, come.
Speaker 3: On, I'm on your page, Scott.
Speaker 1: She's wasting guy's time at this point, that reveals she's wasting his time. I don't that's like a guy conveniently being in a relationship with a girl who's obsessed with him, and she's just wasting his time because she doesn't really want He doesn't really want to have kids with her. He already had a.
Speaker 2: C I don't think it's necessarily occurred to her how serious Luke is about a family. I do not think she knows that.
Speaker 1: If she's, if she hasn't made inferences, drawn inferences from his behavior and the type of guy he is and she stupid and she's not.
Speaker 2: They've they've touched on it a couple times, right, There's been a couple moments where they it was subliminal or even a little bit more than subliminal. But they've never really like sat down and said, are we going to have kids? And she's only what thirty two? How old is she now? She's like two, No, no, she's thirty five, thirty six. Yeah, I guess you're right that they the clock is ticken.
Speaker 4: But what I was gonna say earlier is there's obviously a divide that's going to be happening soon, like because as you as we can all tell, Luke is all all one hundred percent in like fully invested, wants to buy this house. It's pretty clear that he wants to like have a family. However that whatever that looks like to them, he wants to have a family and start building something more with Lorli. But then you see Laura Lai, who is very freaked out about the thought of even being pregnant. And I thought that her conversation with Rory was very enlightening because Rory was like, it's Luke, this is a good thing, right, And she couldn't even be like, you know what, yeah, you're right, this is a good thing. Like, So it just made me, it just made me like backtrack a little bit and be like, does Laura I really want this. I don't know.
Speaker 1: She's having a good time. Obviously they have a good chemistry. She's maybe she's just biting her time. Who knows. But it was an odd reaction, odd reaction in the face of somebody, like a loop dance.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I don't know, because.
Speaker 1: I just think that guy puts his cards on the table. I mean, you know where you're stand through.
Speaker 4: But even if you're like, why isn't he putting the Twickham house on the table? That's the only thing I'm still not understanding.
Speaker 1: Talk because he doesn't because he wants to surprise her. It's the big romantic move, it's the big imagine. He's taking a big risk. It's a big risk. It's a huge risk. But he's at I guess at this point he's a bit delusional. Isn't he thinking that this woman is in love with him?
Speaker 2: Is he?
Speaker 1: I mean, he's crazy about her. He finally got the dream woman, finally. I don't know that he's and he's We've already seen this in a couple of scenes where he realizes that he's just sort of not up to snuff, up to Gilmore standards, and he's willing to just continue to bludget, go through this gauntlet, this sort of Gilmore gauntlet, and just deny. And he's living in a state of denial basically, isn't he. And he's not going to discuss it with her out of out of this romantic ideal that he has, you know, that is his north star. Get the house, marry me, you know, this kind of thing, and let's have children in boom. It's all going to happen for him. That's his path for his life. This is what he wants. He has no doubt, and he's just barking up the wrong tree. I guess I don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, it's complicated, right, it's complicated because I think about it too, like, and I don't want to speak for all women. I can only speak for some women, I guess, But like, think about this, you're no, just go.
Speaker 1: Ahead and speak for all of them.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, speak for all of them. So you've just launched your kid off to Yale. Right, they're in their sophomore year, Sorr. I think I said freshman earlier, but I meant sophomore. So you are in this relationship, but it's not it's it's a newer relationship, even though you've known the person forever, right, because it's they're not even like at their year right yet. I can't remember when the kiss was, but we're coming up on maybe that, and suddenly you're pregnant. I think any woman would be freaked out. I think just anyone would be freaked out.
Speaker 1: She loves not if she loved the.
Speaker 2: Guy, Danielle, when she really.
Speaker 1: Loved the guy, if he was the be all and end all, and she loved him and really appreciated what he has been to her and her daughter.
Speaker 2: And she'll say, Danielle and her husband, he's not good enough for her. No, I don't think so, Danielle.
Speaker 1: Maybe she just maybe she's just too insecure to be with somebody that is that solid.
Speaker 2: Possibly that's you're more accurate.
Speaker 1: There, But she probably wants to sabotage your own life again and keep sabotaging relationships because that's what she's used to.
Speaker 2: That's probably correct, Scott. But Danielle, when you found out you were pregnant, even though you're married and you were like planning this, were you freaked out?
Speaker 4: I wasn't freaked out, to be honest, No, I wasn't. I was just like, WHOA Okay.
Speaker 3: Let's do this.
Speaker 4: But I think it I think it's all relative. To be completely honest with you, I think it depends where you are in your life. Like my husband that I've been with for the last eleven years of my life, if I found out year one into dating him that I was pregnant right at twenty three years old, I'd be like, Okay, this is not cool.
Speaker 3: But you know, like if if I was dating.
Speaker 4: Him now in my mid thirties, I'd be like, Okay, well, yeah, I want to spend the rest of my life with this.
Speaker 3: With this guy.
Speaker 4: This isn't the worst thing in the world, But it all depends. It all depends on your relationship and where you're at.
Speaker 2: Because maybe I'm an idiot, but I do have some sympathy for Loralai being a bit wigged out because she's just not this is not the vision she's got for herself right now.
Speaker 1: I think she needs this, right I think she needs some control.
Speaker 2: She's definitely intrigued by this prospect of someone coming in and buying the in and finally, for once she's got financial security and then she's going to have this job where she travels all over the world to ends and consulting with him. There's something that's like, she's very interested in that. I don't know, so I digress. We move on.
Speaker 1: Too, well, and that's what she'll have and she won't have this guy. Well, she's not gonna she's not gonna get both. You think he's gonna wait around while she rejects the Twickham House and says, no, I don't want to have a baby, and I'm going to go travel the world and do this thing and take this money. I mean, it's going to completely change the whole dynamic of the relationship. I mean, what's he supposed to do?
Speaker 2: Hard for me to answer that totally know what happens, Danielle, What do you think.
Speaker 3: Say Thatikin Scott?
Speaker 1: What that He's just gonna sit back and, you know, be that guy on the sideline and where she goes off and sells the inn and starts traveling and does a travel show and becomes a big celebrity or whatever. He's just gonna sit around and flip his pancakes and wait for her to come back. His whole life is like, well, she's in Paris. I'm sure she's having a great time. Anyway, Kirk, let me get into another argue, stupid argument about you with one cent raise on the price a toast. You know, I mean it's like his life compared to what hers would become. I mean, come on, that would end the relationship.
Speaker 2: Danielle and Scott. I have respect for somebody in loralized position that's like, you know what, I don't want another baby. I want to do It doesn't It doesn't lessen the love she has for Luke. If she doesn't want another baby, I agree, in my opinion.
Speaker 4: I agree, it's just they aren't on the same page, correct, But they could.
Speaker 2: They might be able to get on the same page even if they're not on the same page. And I don't know what that means. It might mean she doesn't want to have another baby right now. It might mean she never wants to have another baby. It might mean Luke might have thought of children but wants the relationship with her more. I don't know what it is that's for them to figure out.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you, guys question. You think Luke would stand in front of a bullet.
Speaker 2: For I do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he'd surrender his life for those two, wouldn't he. I do you think maybe he deserves a baby.
Speaker 2: I just don't think it works like that.
Speaker 1: I agree it works, it doesn't work like that, but in Luke's brain it does work like that. That's what you're not getting.
Speaker 2: No, Because here's why I think he loves her. He might have had this vision right of the Twickham House and you know, two kids, a boy and a girl. You know, this life with Laura I blah blah blah. But I think he would adjust that vision that he has because what he really wants is her. And I believe that at the end of the day, like he's like, you know what I want is work a minute.
Speaker 1: When you truly love a woman, you want top procreate with her.
Speaker 2: That's not true. Nope.
Speaker 5: I think there are a lot of people who don't want kids though.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean even Eastern our engineer, fully in love with his wife, been together for a long time, they don't want kids.
Speaker 5: I have a friend who's been in a relationship for like six years and they're madly in love, want to get married, but they don't want kids and on the same page.
Speaker 4: But I do think it's important to be on the same page something. And I think that's the disconnect with Luke and Lorlai, right, now.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right. Some people want to have kids, have a family, do that more than anything, so they have to find somebody that's on the same page as them. Now, there are also times when somebody wants to have kids, right, but then they fall in love with somebody who doesn't want to have kids, and they may decide I like Big and Carrie. Big and Carrie perfect example, they thought about having kids, they decided not to. And even if either of them sort of to do, they made that decision. And I think that can happen too, where somebody is with somebody and if one doesn't want kids and the other one does, sometimes it doesn't ruin the relationship. They just change what they want.
Speaker 1: I can see that. Yeah, I guess it's it's it's different.
Speaker 2: I think for you, you wanted kids so much.
Speaker 1: Oh, I want to children from the time I was twenty.
Speaker 2: Right, And there's a lot of people like you. There's a lot of people like you, and so for those people it does seem a little foreign when someone doesn't want kids. And Lorla has a kid, so that's the other thing. She's done it and now she's just like I'm on to chapter two, and I don't know exactly what that holds, but I don't know that she's right now ready to have another kid.
Speaker 1: So February of twenty twenty four, Lake Tahoe, the ski event at four I am all in dual slalom race will be taking place. You're you're you're right that there are plenty of people that that are in love and they don't want to have kids, and they have their reasons for that. I suppose you're right. I just just in this circumstance though, in this magical circumstance between these two star crossed unlikely lovers, she doesn't want to have a kid with them. For me, it's I get it because it doesn't track storytelling wise.
Speaker 2: It weakens seeing wise. I disagree. Again, I disagree, but here's why, because I'm coming from a place where I am Loreli right, I want to be Loreli. I don't have kids. So I get her positioning where you're coming from a place of being you, even though you also portrayed Luke, where you are so passionate and love having a face family so much that you're putting that into Luke too. Because that's what we do with Gilmore girls, we put our own perspective and our own feelings into it. And I see that, I see your perspective, and I think you might be right that Luke wants that so badly. Also because you I also see clearly why Lorelai was freaked out and sort of happy to not be pregnant, because that's my perspective in it.
Speaker 1: So you're saying that she still loves Luke intensely without needing to have a child with.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right. He's the love of her life. He is he is the love of her life.
Speaker 1: But I guess it's all how you define love. I think people have different definitions what love for them means. For me, it always makes we make little versions of ourselves. That's the ultimate expression of love for me. It doesn't, I think, have to for everybody else.
Speaker 2: And I also think that that's totally accurate what you're saying. I think that that is everybody and for But I also but I, even coming from another place, can see that as a version and get it. I'm like, yeah, that totally is true, but then so is this version. They're both two things can be true even if they seem totally opposite.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, it's like I get it. I think Carrie and Big have had a true love, just like Luke and Loralai or just like Ross and Rachel. I mean, we could name all these characters right, each one sort of being a different incarnation. But love can be so many different things.
Speaker 1: What's your ski boot size?
Speaker 2: Before we get to that, which I will We will do that, Danielle. I would love your quick prediction. And we still have more talk about on what you see for Rory, just because I'm so curious and I'll keep my mouth shut.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, at the end of this episode, I take it that they get arrested. That's my what I think happens. Okay, So with that deying, Just with that being said, I think that Logan takes the fault for it, even though it's Rory's fault, and the Gilmours get really upset about that and kind of like, why is this man getting you in trouble? And then I think the Huntsburgers are like, why are you Why is this girl making you get into more trouble? You know, like that kind of thing, and I think the family start to divide the two of them.
Speaker 2: That's what I start to see an interesting.
Speaker 3: I want to know if I'm right or wrong.
Speaker 2: This is so okay, So we've got more to talk about, but I do have to give a quick shout out to the color orange. Did anyone notice that Loralai was wearing a massive amount of orange in this episode? And I like it that the dress was orange. And then now as Suki's having the baby, she's wearing the orange white blazer with the orange piping, with an orange shirt. And then when we go back to the Gilmore, she's wearing an orange sweater again.
Speaker 1: All right, that's gonna do it. Everybody. Listen, We're going to do a two parter, So this is gonna end part one. Thanks for downloading, best fans on the planet. We will see you next time for part two. And remember we and I I'm all in. Stay safe everyone, everybody, and don't forget Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.