Speaker 1: Welcome.
Speaker 2: It is Verdict with Center, Ted Cruz, Ben Ferguson with you, and we're doing a hybrid show this morning with the Ben Ferguson podcast as well because I'm on family vacation in Cabo. But when the Big Beautiful Bill happens, you do exactly what we're doing right now, and that is give you the latest, no matter where we are in the world of what's happening and how we got the deal done. Center, I have a feeling you are running on a very little sleep. Did you pull the all nighter?
Speaker 3: I definitely did you and I are recording this podcast at ten thirty seven pm Texas time on Tuesday night. I last slept on Sunday night. We were up at nine am Monday morning. On the Senate floor, we began consideration of the One Big Beautiful Bill under the reconciliation procedures. When you take up reconciliation, which as you know, you and I have talked about before, is the principal exception to the Senate filibuster rule. The ordinary rule in the Senate is you need sixty votes to pass legislation, but budget reconciliation is a special process that you can pass legislation with only fifty votes. But part of budget reconciliation is you have unlimited amendments, and that whole process is what's known as vot rama. We started at nine am Monday morning. We went all day Monday, we went all night Monday, we went all morning Tuesday, and we finished the whole thing at right about noon on Tuesday. And then I went and headed to the airport, got at a one o'clock flight, flew back to Texas. I'm home tonight in Texas and have yet to go to sleep. As soon as we finish this podcast, I am going to I've got a date with my bed, and I intend to be unconscious, very very soon.
Speaker 2: I feel bad for you, but welcome to how the sausage is made. So I have a lot of questions. I know everybody else is wanting to ask the same thing before we get into what is in the bill when this voter rama is happening.
Speaker 1: You're one of the youngest guys in the Senate.
Speaker 2: Your stamina is a little bit better, I would say, just ags and others. Do people sleep in their offices? Do you guys hang out? Do you decide to have dinner? Do you order pizzas. Do you guys go to the to the basement rooms that you guys have? How tell us how everybody feels the time.
Speaker 3: So, yes, all of the above. And there is a wide age variation in the Senate. I'm fifty four, I can pull an all nighter and I'm just fine. Look, Chuck Grassley is ninety. We've got a bunch of senators who are in their eighties. And I will tell you, particularly for the older senators doing an all nighter weighs upon them. This was the longest voterama in history. Some of this was Democrat delays. Some of this was just the fact that that Senate Republican leadership was scrambling to get the bill ready. One of the things to understand is the timeframe of this bill moved very quickly because President Trump announced he wanted this done by July fourth, and he was leaning on Senate leadership and House leaders to get it done. And so during the day we're taking I think we took something like forty seven votes in the twenty seven hours it took. And so there are periods of downtime. There are periods in between a vote when they're preparing the next vote, where they're revising statutes, revising amendments, they're also getting determinations from the Senate Parliamentarian. They're also getting scores. In order to have an amendment, you have to get a score, which is the Joint Committee on Taxation or the Congressional Budget Office will determine how much a particular provision will cost or how much it will save. Before you can vote on it in voter rama, you have to get that score. So during the day, yes, there are senators who are sitting back in the cloakroom, sleeping, either on a couch or in a chair. They're senators who go down to their hideaways. Every senator has what's called a hideaway, which is a smaller office in the US Capitol building. And most of us have a couch or two couches in the high away. And so senators would go and you know, get a twenty minute nap there. But and you would see you would see pages kind of a sleep behind the Senate floor. It's going long and furious. In terms of food, the food tends to be fairly lousy. It's kind of different. People host it. They'll bring in they'll bring in pizzas, they'll bring in sandwiches. One tradition that I started when I first got to the Senate is anytime we do an all night vodama, in the morning, I bring in McDonald's breakfast and I just give it to all the Republican senators. So I had seventy five egg mcmuffins and sausage m mcmuffins and breakfast burritos that just showed up about five point thirty in the morning. And you know, you know, I got to say, there are few things better after an all night or than than than Mickey D's breakfast. And I'll tell you ben some advice. And an old friend of mine gave me always always always pick up the breakfast check and you get you get some good will from you exactly right.
Speaker 1: All right? So do you guys hang out kind of in groups?
Speaker 2: And I asked this because like everybody kind of has their friends group that they hang out with, do you kind of have a text thread and say, hey, we're all over here, Hey, what do you want to do now? And I asked this for another reason. There are different centers that like to play different games. You, for example, love to play foosball.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: There there is a foosball table somewhere in the Senate. Do you guys like have games like that while you're just waiting in between?
Speaker 3: No, it's it's mostly just sitting around. Sometimes you'll be sitting on the Senate floor at your desk. Sometimes you'll be standing in the back of the Senate floor. In the back of the Senate it's what's called the cloakroom. The cloakroom has a couple of couches and probably twenty kind of big comfy chairs. A lot of us will sit back in the cloakroom, and then people will sort of huddle at different places. But it it is a little bit. I mean, you you hang out tipic with the folks that are your closest friends. But look, it's not that big a body. They're only one hundred of us, So you end up hanging out with a lot of your colleagues throughout the course of twenty seven hours.
Speaker 1: In a weird way.
Speaker 2: Is it kind of nice to see the Senate and come together in that way where you can actually be friendlier with somebody and chat with it. Does it build relationships at all?
Speaker 1: Long term?
Speaker 3: You know? Sure? I guess I wouldn't mind doing it without the all nighter at this point. You know, when I was nineteen twenty twenty one, I probably pulled one or two all nighters a week in college. And you know, I'm in a stage in life where I'm not eager to do all nighters anymore.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: All right, How close were we to this bill being in jeopardy? I asked that because there was a headline that came out and then it started kind of being run around nine o'clock yesterday evening, eight o'clock Central. It set up to six GP centers hold out on the big beautiful bill, and there was word that the president was working the phones. Was that a bunch to do about nothing? Or was it really whipping votes happening in the evening?
Speaker 3: Absolutely throughout the whole process, this was incredibly close. It was nip and tuck. I'll tell you. Tuesday morning, you know, we thought maybe we're going to get out there five or six in the morning. So I originally had an eight to twenty flight. Well, eight twenty came and went. Then I had an eleven am flight, and eleven am came and went. I ended up getting on a one pm flight, and so that and that was true for everyone You had senators who for Fourth of July, one of my colleagues was going to Hawaii, his wife and kids were already there. You had people flying all over the place for Fourth of July, but nobody could leave. So they're canceling their plans because we were supposed to be out this weekend. And this dragged on longer. And part of the reason it dragged on longer is it wasn't clear where the votes are. And so let me talk about some of the elements of what's in this bill. Probably the single most important thing that is in this bill is we extend the twenty seventeen Trump tax cuts. That's a big deal. When we passed those tax cuts, we passed them under reconciliation, but they only lasted They were only scheduled to last ten years, and so if we did nothing on December thirty first of this year, the tax cuts would expire, which meant on January first, there would be an automatic four trillion dollar tax increase. Your taxes would go up, My taxes would go up, the taxes of working Americans across this country would go up. That would have been devastating to the country, and so we had to pass this bill to extend the Trump tax cuts. Beyond that, we made historic investments in securing the border. We put one hundred and fifty billion dollars into securing the border, into building the wall, hiring border patrol agents, hiring ice agents, building detention facilities and detention. This is an investment. There's never been an investment like this at this order of magnitude. One of the great mandates out of this election was secure the border, and this bill provides the funding to enable President Trump to continue doing so. That is absolutely historic. On top of that, we also had a massive investment into rebuilding our military, an additional one hundred and fifty billion dollars into our military to bring it into the twenty first century, and in particular to invest in things like hypersonic weaponry, to invest in more subs, to invest in more ships, to invest in the Golden Dome, which President Trump rightly is advocating, missile defense for the homeland to keep us safe. That investment is in there as well. Incredibly important. Another component of that is investing in the Coastcard twenty four billion dollars in investments in the coast Guard. That means, among other things, building new polar ice breakers. Right now, China is kicking our tails in the Arctic, and and this is going to bring ship building back to this country and give us the ability to build ships here at home and have icebreakers so that we can defend our national security. All of those investments are enormously important.
Speaker 2: You know, Centater One that I think one of the most important things about this bill, and one of the things that you advocated for and I've advocated for, and it's something the present very clearly ran on, was making the Trump tax cuts permanent. This was a massive tax cut for the American people. Now, I know the media doesn't want to talk about that. I know they want to say that none of this is going to have a major impact on our economy, but it is in a ginormous way, especially for lower and middle class Americans. How catistraphic would it have been if this bill did not get passed When it comes to just basic tax policy, in these skyrocking taxes, without this.
Speaker 3: Bill, well, look, a four trillion dollar tax increase would have been enormously detrimental to the economy. Many of those taxes were on small businesses, their business to tax deductions for things like investing in new factories, investing in new equipment, and those deductions produced jobs, They raise wages, they incentivized deploying capital, and so if those taxes were to go up, you would end up seeing jobs go away. In twenty seventeen, when we passed the Trump tax cuts, we saw enormous economic prosperity. We saw the lowest unemployment in fifty years, and the lowest Black unemployment ever recorded, the lowest Hispanic unemployment ever recorded. And so if we did nothing, we would reverse those gains by having a massive tax increase. Now, ben the Democrats talking point, which every one of them said throughout this process, and which the media repeated, is this is tax cuts for billionaires. Now, I'm going to give you a hyper technical legal term for what that line is. That would be called a lie. What this did is maintained current tax rates. So the lie that it's tax cuts for billionaires is the Democrats say, well, if we do nothing, there's going to be a massive tax cut on everyone, a tax increase on everyone. And since this kept the tax rates exactly the same as they are today, the Democrats and media lie and say that's a massive tax cuts for billionaires. Everyone is paying the same rates. But as you rightly noted, where we provided additional tax relief was not at the top end of the income scale, but it was middle class and working. It was President Trump's blue collar agenda. So what are some of the new tax cuts that are in this provision? Number one, no tax on tips. That's my legislation. I wrote that legislation that is in this bill. That's going to benefit waiters and waitresses and bartenders and barbers and hair stylists and taxicab drivers and everyone who's working and getting compensated on tipped income. That is real and meaningful relief. Also included in this is no tax on overtime, and also included in this as tax relief for seniors getting solid security. All of those those are not going to millionaires and billionaires. They're going to working Americans. And in fact, the Joint Committee on Taxation put out an analysis of the distributional impacts of these tax cuts. They found that people making less than fifteen thousand dollars a year would get a sixteen point four percent cut in taxes, and they're paying very little. People making between fifteen thousand and thirty thousand a year would get a twenty seven point one percent cut, people making between thirty thousand and forty thousand a year would get a nine point five percent cut, and people making forty thousand to fifty thousand a year would get a seven point two percent cut. So those are our real and meaningful tax relief. And by the way, those numbers compared to the impact for people at the top end, those making over a million, was three percent. And mind you, that's not a cut for them. That's just saying that they don't have their taxes skyrocket automatically. They stay at exactly the same level they are today. Those that is real, meaningful middle class tax relief.
Speaker 2: You know, you go back to the campaign and that legislation that you just mentioned, the no tax on tips, and Donald Trump talked about how he wrote it down in a napkin after I think it was, if I remember correctly, outing in Nevada, yep. And they was just saying, this is a great idea I'm gonna write down. Yeah, he was in Vegas, and there's so many people in Vegas that work on tips. I can't tell you how many different people have talked to me about this that work in an industry that heavily revolves around tips. Uber and lyft drivers are a great example of that. I've had a lot of them talk to me about it. When they find out what you do, They're like, oh, man, this would change my life because it would it would allow me to keep so much more of my own money while you're trying to make it. If you've food delivery, you do it. I do it right, Uber Eats, whatever it may be. That's another example of where this can have a huge impact on someone giving them an instant pay raise, especially when you need it. Look, I taught tennis for years and tips are a large part of your salary. You knew that, but like you want to talk about giving Americans an instant pay raise, especially when you're starting out or you're living more paycheck to paycheck. This could have a catastrophic positive impact on our overall economy, especially for people in these jobs. I don't think people understand what a big differences can make.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's gonna make a big difference to a lot of people who need the relief. And I've had the same experience where people really see that. As President Trump and a Republican Congress delivering on our promises. You know, there are other elements in this bill. I got to tell you I'm particularly gratified because I had a lot of big victories that are included in this bill. So I mentioned no tax on tips. That's my legislation that's in there. We've talked before about spectrum wireless. Now, no, no, what does that mean? Every electronic device you have, your cell phone, Wi Fi, your laptops, streaming, satellite, everything operates over electromagnetic spectrum, and different bandwidths are assigned to different forms of communication. Of the most valuable spectrum, the midband spectrum, the federal government controls sixty percent of it. I wrote into this bill a mandate that the federal government must auction off to the private sector eight hundred megahertz of spectrum. Now what does that mean. That's going to do a couple of things. Number One, that's going to generate about one hundred billion dollars to the federal government. That's real money that goes to the taxpayers that can pay down our debt, pay down the lower the deficit. Those are real dollars that come into the federal government. But I'll tell you, Ben, that's not the biggest advantage. The biggest advantage is it is going to unleash billions of dollars of new investment and create hundreds of thousands of jobs because this is about winning the race for six G and beating China. And I got to tell you three months ago, nobody in Washington thought we would get spectrum auction in this bill. I wrote it. It's in there, and that is going to have a massive job creation impact. That's in this bill.
Speaker 2: You talk about. No one thought it was going to be in there. There was a lot of people lobbying trying to keep that out, and you stuck to your guns on this one.
Speaker 1: That's part of the I think the success story of this bill.
Speaker 3: It is. And I will tell you Ben, the two provisions that personally I care the most about that are in this bill that I think will be transformational our school choice and the Trump accounts. Both of those were my legislation that I wrote. And I told this story of the podcast. A little over a month ago. Senate Republicans we all went on a retreat and we were talking about the Reconciliation Bill and what we're going to do. And I stood up and I said to my colleagues, I said, listen, there are a lot of big and important things that we're doing in this bill, that we need to do in this bill, and I think that's good. And I think that's great. We auto at least pause and ask about legacy. Ask about what lasting difference we're going to make. Ask about in ten, twenty thirty years, what are people going to remember that is in this bill? And I made the case to my colleagues for two different provisions, neither one of which were in the bill at the time. Number one school choice and number two Trump accounts. Let's start with Trump accounts. Under this bill, the federal government will create a private investment account for every child in America, and it will seed that account with one thousand dollars for every newborn child in America. That money, then, parents and friends and family can invest every year in a tax advantage vehicle. That money is invested in the S and P. Five hundred to broad based equity. There are two massive advantages of this. Number one, every child in America is going to experience the incredible benefits of compound growth. What does that mean? Little girl is born, next year she's born, she has this private investment account open for her. It's seeded with one thousand dollars, and her parents or family or parents employers contribute five thousand a year every year. If you assume the historical rate of growth of the S and P five hundred, which is seven percent, by the time that little girl turns eighteen, she will have one hun one hundred and seventy thousand dollars in that account. And if she continues contributing five thousand a year, by the time she turns thirty five, she will have seven hundred thousand dollars in that account. That is massive. These are four oh one k's for kids, And think about how four oh one k's changed how we retire, how we say for retirement. This now gives the power of compound growth to every kid. But number two, this also will create a new generation of capitalist. Every child will be an owner, an owner of the largest employers in this country. That is a big deal. If you're tired of seeing all these kids that hate capitalism, that think socialism is a good idea, that think Mondami up in New York is boy, that sounds great. Let's elect a communists well. Having a new generation of capitalists who are owners and have skin in the game. I think in ten twenty thirty years, we're going to look back and say that change this country for the best. Are those Trump accounts. I wrote the legislation. It's in the bill, and it was a fight to get them in the bill, but we kept them in the bill.
Speaker 2: You know, you talk about financial literacy is how I was described it by a school teacher recently that said, I listened to you and the Senator show, and when you guys are talking about these savings accounts at birth and what this could do. They said, it also will allow us to then have curriculum. Yes, it will be for financial literacy, because we'll have something we can actually look at kids and say, this is what you have. We can show you your report, we can show you the power of comtown interest, we can show you what the tax savings look like. We can show you how to plan for your future. And then things like credit card debt and how to balance a checkbook and how to save and why you don't want to take out high interest loans become a reality and understandable to these kids because they can see what happens on the opposite of that when you are saving money and watching it grow. And to go back to the point you were making, this could fundamentally change an entire country number one, but also can change an entire generation. When you talk about generational wealth, which everybody wants for their kids.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no, that's exactly right. And what you're talking about there is one of the real drivers of the wealth gap we have in America is that wealthy parents teach their kids how to invest, teach their kids how to save, teach them financial literacy, and that learning that perpetuates the wealth gap. And many low income parents don't themselves have a terribly high degree of financial literacy, so they don't teach their kids about it. They're not investors. A large percentage of Americans don't own a single stock or bond. You know, now, you're gonna end up in ten years, you're gonna have a ten year old boy who pulls out his phone and opens the app for his Trump account and sees how much money he's gotten. That count and it'll be broken down so it'll be the S and P five hundred, but he'll look and say, hey, wait, I own one hundred bucks of Apple. I own seventy five bucks of Boeing or fifty bucks of McDonald's. And that is a different thing when a ten year old says when he goes to McDonald's and orders a big mac, and he says, wait, I'm one of the owners of this company, and he gets to understand that, you know, a portion of those profits are accruing to his benefits because he's one of the owners of the company. That is transformational. And listen, rich kids accumulate capital all the time, but this is allowing low income kids, the kids of single moms who would never own a stock and bond otherwise, to begin accumulating earlier, and then a huge accelerator on this. So I'll tell you that the entire price tag of the bill was in the trillions, the price tag of this So they're three point seven million kids born on average in this country each year, a thousand bucks a year for that is three point seven billion dollars. So that's thirty seven billion dollars over ten years in the in the scope of this bill. That is a very small amount compared to the overall size of this bill. But that tiny amount is like priming a pump. Because one of the things we're going to see is we're going to see employers contributing to the accounts of the kids of their employees. Think about four oh one case when four Wait, that's.
Speaker 2: Not a theory. That's not a theory. I want to hold on. I want to be queer. That's not a theory you're talking about. This is a reality because you've actually talked with CEOs of companies who are saying they want to do this.
Speaker 3: So there is a CEO Council of Invest America and it's a bunch of major CEOs in this country who have said, if you create these Trump accounts, we will contribute to the accounts of the kids of our employees. We will match it. It's shared by Michael Dell. It's shared by a Texan. Michael is a good friend. Michael has committed that Dell is going to contribute to the counts of the kids of all their employees. And think about four oh one K. Look, four oh one K is just a provision in the tax code, and when it passed, it changed how America saves for retirement. There is right now today trillions of dollars invested in four oh one k's And without exaggeration, I think in twenty years we will see trillions of dollars invested in Trump accounts. That the multiplier effect there is really potent. And I think it will become an almost standard employee benefit, just like if you get a job at any big company, you're going to get a four oh one K contribution or match. I think this will be another standard employee benefit, and so it really unleashes savings early. That's a big deal. And then Ben, I want to talk about another provision that I.
Speaker 2: Was fighting, and by the way, I I yeah, I want to say one more thing about this real quick. Yes, just so people understand you when you talk about this. A great example of this. You know my three boys, and I'm made a deal with all of them. I said, Hey, whatever you say for your first car, I'm going to match it. If you want to drive a hooptee, you can drive a hooptee. If you want to drive a nicer car, I'll match whatever you say. But but you're going to.
Speaker 3: Have one exactly.
Speaker 1: And my Hooptie is my first car.
Speaker 2: When it's like a couple grand and you're and it barely makes it down the road.
Speaker 1: My first car was a Honda with one hundred eighty.
Speaker 2: Seven thousand miles it is with no conditioning, and I loved it.
Speaker 3: By the way, it is hooptie, like a Memphis word or something. I'm just I'm not sure that's English.
Speaker 2: It's I that's just that's the word that when I grew up in Memphis they called if you had a car that wasn't very nice, it was referred to as, oh, that's a nice hooptie.
Speaker 1: So what was your first car? Was a dialect that I grew up with, Honda Prelude, Prelude.
Speaker 2: It was nineteen nineteen eighty eight, one hundred and eighty seven thousand miles on it, and I could and I could afford it because it had a busted ace and it took the old R twelve, which was hard to find and more expensive.
Speaker 1: I remember this like it was yesterday. And I bought that.
Speaker 2: Car for twenty six hundred dollars and I was and I loved it, by the way, very proud of that car.
Speaker 1: But the point was to and by the way, my first car said look, you're gonna have ownership in this. What was it?
Speaker 3: My first car was a nineteen seventy eight Ford Fairmont, which which we called the Green Bomb, and it was actually my grandfather's car. And when I turned sixteen, my grandfather gave it to me. Ha he and he was kind of a gruff old irishman and he said, boy, stick your hands out. So I stuck my hands out and he put a car key in each hand, said happy birthday, and it was you know, they'd had it for eight years, so it was their car. And we called at the Green Bomb and I drove all my buddies in high school and we got to do a lot of trouble in that car.
Speaker 1: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: Well, I said to my son, I said, look, you can spend money on frivolous things and you'll have instant gratification. I said, Or you can save your money and I'll help you invest it in stocks. Well, my son now owns Lockheed Martin, not much of it, but he owned some of it. He owns Ford because he thought that was a good stock that had been around. And now every day when he comes home from school in the summer, he's like, hey, how did my stocks do today?
Speaker 1: And it's changed his mentality.
Speaker 2: As we're on family vacation, I told all the kids, I said, hey, you can get one cool thing while you're here, whatever you want to be, here's the price range. And literally two of my three boys are the same thing to me today. Hey, if I don't buy anything, can I put the money in stocks and save it for my car?
Speaker 1: When you have those conversations with a six year.
Speaker 2: Old and an eight year old, that you realize that now money is making sense to them. That's why I'm so excited about this legislation. I hope people thirty forty, fifty sixty years from now, when we're both gone, go back and they say, you know what, when Ted Kruz did this and got this in there, it changed people's lives for the better. So I want to say, sincerely, congratulations on making sure that's made it in there, because it's huge. Because that's not the only thing that was transformative in this bill. Something you've been champing now, I would say it's part of the legacy of your career is school choice. And there's some big stuff in this bill also on school choice.
Speaker 3: So school choice has been my passion for thirty years. I've been very active of the school choice movement. In twenty seventeen, when we did the first Trump tax cut, I authored the legislation that expanded college five twenty nine savings plans, so now parents can save for K through twelve education. We got that through. It passed, and it was at the time the most far reaching federal school choice legislation that had ever passed. And there are millions of kids now whose parents save for K through twelve education using five twenty nines. This time around, I took five twenty nine and I expanded them. I expanded what you can spend them for, and I raised the cap. It used to be you could spend ten thousand a year from the account. Now you can spend twenty thousand a year. But that actually is the smallest piece on school te that would be huge in any other year. But what we got in this year is the federal government will now grant a federal tax credit dollar for dollar for every taxpayer up to seventeen hundred dollars. So, ben you pay taxes every year you pay more than seventeen hundred dollars in taxes when this goes into effect, if you write a seven yes, so if you write a seventeen hundred dollars check to a scholarship granting organization in Texas, you will get a seventeen hundred dollars credit on your taxes. In other words, it's dollar for dollar, it disappears from your tax liability. What this will do is this is going to unleash billions and billions of dollars of new scholarships for K through twelve education in the states. And the way it operates, every state has to choose to opt in, so Texas will opt in. I suspect a number of Blue states will not opt in because the teachers' unions will not want them to. They will not want scholarships for kids to be able to go to the school of their choice. And the way we wrote the rule, the state, the law, the state has to opt in. But Texas will have scholarship granting organizations and any taxpayer can write a check up to seventeen hundred dollars a year and get a full tax credit on their irs what they owe. That is going to result in millions of kids across America, many of whom are stuck in failing schools. Schools they're not learning to read, they're not learning to write, Schools where there's violence there drug dealers, Schools where their future is really in peril, and they're suddenly going to have the ability to get a scholarship, to go to the school of their choice, to get a real education, to get a better education, to be safe, to not be subject to violence. This is I think school choice is the civil rights issue of the twenty four century. This has never happened before. And I gotta tell you, I fought tooth and nail. This almost got stripped out of the bill about five different times. And I made clear I'll shut this whole bill down if we don't get school choice in there. And and and this is I could not be more excited about about any provision in this bill than the impact school choice is gonna have for for the next next generation.
Speaker 2: So on these two issues, school choice and also the savings accounts, when does that start to become a reality timeline? There's there's a lot of people that say, hey, we pass bills and then things that were supposed to happen don't happen. They get undone because there's a new present that comes in, or you see a Senate flip or the House flip, whatever it may be. So so how sure are we that we are going to see the fruits of this fight and this labor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, these are both gonna happen, and they're both gonna happen in the next year. For the Trump accounts, I wrote into an effective date of one year from the signing, So if it's signed on July fourth, these will start on July fourth, twenty twenty six, our nation's two hundred and fiftieth anniversary. And I think that's something particularly fantastic. I'm quite confident President Trump will make a big deal about the facts that these accounts are being opened on our nation's birthday, or if it ends up being signed at a slightly different date somewhere honor about our nation's birthday, a great celebration. Same thing. The tax deductions are going to start, I believe next year on the on the school choice tax deductions. So these will happen. They will happen quickly. Now one question people are asking, what happens next. The Senate passed this, what happens next, Well, we sent the whole bill to the House. They have two choices number one, so they're coming back in in session. They can take it up and pass it. And if they pass the bill that we just passed, it will go to the President and he can sign it, and he said he wants to sign it on July fourth of this year. So if the House passes what the Senate passed, that'll be the end of the process and the President will sign it. The second thing they can do is they can say, Okay, we passed a bill, the Senate passed a different bill. We need to work out the differences between them, and that's called going to conference, and the House could insist we go to conference. I don't know which one they're going to do. There are some real differences in the Senate right now there or in the House right now, they're having fights. There's some aspects of the Senate bill that are really good, there's some aspects of the Senate bill that are not great, and so it's going to be a question of what can get two hundred and eighteen votes in the House. I know the Speaker wants if he can to take up and pass the Senate bill and just send it to the President. That's what the President wants also, so that may happen. If that doesn't happen, then we'll go to conference. And I think conference would take the month of July for us to work out the differences, and my guess is we would pass the final bill at the end of July, right before August.
Speaker 2: So this is one of those big moments that I think we should all enjoy.
Speaker 1: Elections have consequences.
Speaker 2: This time it was for conservative values and for kids to have a better future in education or savings accounts, and for tax cuts so that Americans that work hard can keep more of their own money. On a scout of one to ten, and nothing's perfect, how proud of you or of you are you with this bill? There's a lot of people that are saying, well, there's this, or's that, or does this look? Yeah, there was some compromises, no doubt that had to be made. You got a tight, you know, a very very slim majority that you're dealing with here. But overall, how happy are you with what the American people are now getting?
Speaker 3: I think there are many very very good things in this bill. I wish we cut spending significantly more. I was fighting hard to cut spending significantly more. I went to President to Trump with three trillion dollars of spending cuts we could do. I was urging my colleagues. I prevailed in some of those arguments, but not all of them. I wish we'd shown more fiscal restraint. That would have made me much happier. Look at six am on Tuesday, we were near the end of the amendments, and the question was could we get to fifty Republicans. They're fifty three in the Senate now. Susan Collins was a no. She is the most liberal of the Republicans. She did not like some of the reforms on Medicaid. The Democrats and the press are saying we slashed medicaid. That is a lie. We actually are spending more un medicaid every single year. What we did was slightly decrease the rate of growth of Medicaid in the future, and in particular, we increased efforts to fight waste, fraud, and abuse and to remove people from the Medicaid roles who don't qualify. And we also put in place a work requirement, which is really important and I think actually benefits people. If you look at the history of work requirements for federal welfare benefits, it ends up helping the recipients by getting them back into the workforce, which is ultimately much better for them in their families. So so, but anyway, Susan Collins did not like the reductions in spending on that side, so she voted no. Tom Tillis, a Republican from from North Carolina, also did not like the Medicaid changes and so he voted no. And so with fifty three Republicans, we could only lose three. The two other votes that were in play were Lisa Murkowski and Rand Paul and they were both between six am and noon. Nobody knew which one which one we would get if either, But if we didn't get one of them, this bill was going down because if four senators voted against it, four Republicans, we were at forty nine and it failed. So the consequence of which road we went down was really consequential because Lisa, after Susan, is the most liberal, demoderate Republican in the conference, and so Lisa was bargaining for a bunch more spending. She wanted a ton of spending, particularly at Alaska, and that was the price of her vote, and she was going back and forth. Rand on the other hand, Rand was always going to be no, always going to be a no. And Rand said at the end he would be a yes if the debt ceiling was not extended. We extend the debt ceiling throughout President Trump's term in this bill. That was a very high priority for President Trump. Rand said he would vote yes if we shortened the extension of the debt ceiling to September thirtieth. So we just did a couple of months of the debt ceiling. Now, the consequence of that would mean we'd have to come back in September thirtieth and address the debt ceiling again, and that would mean we'd probably have to negotiate with the Democrats and make a lousy deal with with Chuck Schumer. But between six am and noon, none of us knew which direction they were going to go. Were they going to go the direction of Lisa Rakowski or were they going to go the direction of Rand Paul. At the end of the day, Lisa is the one who got to yes. But it was literally up till the moment she cast her vote, we didn't know for sure. And she ended up She ended up increasing the Rural Hospital Fund by fifty billion dollars. She ended up dropping the Medicaid penalty for states that that that that are giving medicaid to illegal immigrants. She ended up delaying the work requirements for food stamps for Alaska, and the cost of that was billions and billions of dollars. Interestingly, if Rand had said yes instead of Lisa, we would have ended up spending much less. But the consequence of Rand being a no is that it drove It made Lisa the swing vote, and the price of her vote was billions and probably hundreds of billions more in spending and and so you know, I mean that that's where votes have consequences.
Speaker 2: Incredible, Well, it certainly is interesting to see your take on this. I'm glad that we were able to do the show. You deserve to get some sleep now that it's uh after midnight Eastern and uh and after the vote rama. But I I'm glad that we were able to unpack all of this for everyone because a lot of people have the same question, how did this happen? What did we get that was good? Are there things that we got taken advantage of? Is this gonna help the country when it's gonna hurt it? I think think we answered a lot of those questions. So don't forget download Verdict with tech Cruz wherever you get your podcasts to do this three days a week also my podcast as well, the Ben Ferguson Podcasts. You can also listen to that each and every day as well, and the Sin and I will see you back here in a couple of days