Speaker 1: Hey, the folks, it is Monday, August tenth, and it's almost hard to believe thirty years after his death, someone for the first time is being tried in the murder of two Pac Shakur And with that, welcome to this episode of Baby and TJ. It's my sophomore year of college when he was killed. Never forget that and when that all went down. I remember where I was on campus when I got the news. Actually, you've been there. I was just riding in the car past Reynolds Razorback Stadium.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: I didn't even think I was going to say that until this moment, but it was such a moment. He was such a star rogues. Nobody has been tried in his murder.
Speaker 3: Which is crazy.
Speaker 2: That was thirty years ago, nineteen ninety six. You remember where you were when you heard the news. Do you remember how you felt.
Speaker 1: I think it was shocked. At the time. He was such a huge star and such an influence and everything I was doing day in day out with music. He was everything him and Biggie with everything rap wise. So yeah, I think shock at the time. He was twenty five, I was We were talking about it this morning, like wow, I realized he was so young.
Speaker 3: He what were you twenty twenty one? So I mean I was.
Speaker 2: Nineteen years old, you were nineteen, Like that's in your age. He's someone who just was a little bit older than you enough that you could be looking up to him. And was it ever a source of frustration over these years that no one was ever held accountable? You know?
Speaker 1: And I remember what jumps to mine now is there's a joke that Chris Rock tells about how police don't really care when it's a rap killing or it's black on black. He said, when a black eye kills another black it's a black victim, all police have to do is just put a demo tape in his pocket and just say, oh, it's a rap killing, let's get out of here. Really, they joke about it to us a way, but I think we've become Look it's been thirty years. You get to a point. How he got shot ropes. I don't know how you can get more witnesses to a shooting, then the Vegas Strip after a Mike Tyson fightd in Tyson's heyday, I don't know how you get more. So all these things come together to you, like, what the what the hell, and you get resigned to the fact we're never gonna know for you.
Speaker 3: Sure, I was just gonna ask you.
Speaker 2: My next question was, did you ever think that this day would come?
Speaker 3: And the only reason why.
Speaker 2: This day has come not because of detective work, not because of a police officer, that one detective who wasn't gonna let this go and reopened a cold case and followed the evidence. No, it had nothing to do with that. We're here today because the dude wrote that he did it. He went on podcasts talking about how.
Speaker 3: He was involved.
Speaker 2: Literally the evidence and the reason why we're here today is because Dwayne Keith Davis said it was so his words, his own words are literally.
Speaker 3: The evidence in this case.
Speaker 1: That's telling and Robes it is the strongest evidence they're probably going to have in this case. But it is yes, Wow, wild Robes to think that thirty years later, and here's the kicker, folks. He's not the trigger man. He's not accused of being the trigger man. There's no suggestion of him being the trigger man. Instead, this is the guy who, as he tells the story and its prosecutors say, now he is the one who provided the gun and orchestrated the whole thing, that.
Speaker 3: The mastermind who provided the weapon.
Speaker 2: Essentially, I believe the charge specifically is murder with a deadly weapon with the intent to promote, further or assist a criminal gang. So he is being charged with murder in the first degree, and that we've seen this happen in other cases. Certainly, you don't have to be the person who pulls the trigger, and in fact, oftentimes the person who orchestrates it masterminds it. Think about a murder for higher plot, the folks who are in charge of the plan tend to get the biggest punishment rather than even the gunman himself. But everyone else who was in that car who could have pulled the trigger isn't even here to talk about it.
Speaker 1: Yes, but the guy we are talking about is Dwayne Keith Davis. He's sixty three years old now, but he is a former gang affiliated guy who was running in some circles I guess back in the day we'll get into. But his trial is starting today jury selection. I guess I've seen different ranges rogues how long this is supposed to go this week. Summer's saying a few days, and some say all week.
Speaker 2: Not with the jury selections. I mean, look, this is going to be I don't know. Maybe you get folks young enough, they're not they don't have a memory of when it happened, how it happened. I'm curious what the strategy will be between the prosecutors and the defense team based.
Speaker 3: On what type of jurory you would want seated.
Speaker 2: People who were around at the time, people who weren't around at the time have no clue. But this is I know that the trial itself is expected to last a full month, but jury selection, who knows, it's a couple of days. It depends on just what their school of jurors would be like. In Vegas, it seems like a transient community. Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't feel like, Yes, you might have some lifers in there, people who've lived and grew up in Vegas, but it just seems like a place people.
Speaker 3: Arrive at they don't actually come from.
Speaker 2: So I'm curious, you know, I don't know, Like, I'm not sure what you wouldn't even need a change of venue because I feel like people are always coming and going from there.
Speaker 1: And this is going to be another expected to be a high profile Ropes. They have lottery for the seats in there again, so a lot of people are going to be trying to get in there and see. What is a trial that you know, Like you were just saying, Robes, I never thought we'd see, and a lot of folks never did. Someone is being tried for the murder of Tupac's records. This guy, though, wrote a book, a memoir, Robe that came out in twenty nineteen that kind of reopened this case. We don't want to take anything away from police. Obviously they had to do plenty of detective work, but this was the impetus for them taking another look. Robes.
Speaker 2: That's right the title the book, Compton Street Legend twenty nineteen Memoir. Do you think when he was writing this that he had any thought that this could implicate himself? I mean, look, when OJ Simpson wrote if I did it, he could at least still stand on the fact that he wrote if I did it.
Speaker 3: There's no if.
Speaker 2: In this he goes in detail and describes what he says happened that night. And how would he not think by writing this he wouldn't be held accountable for what he is detailing.
Speaker 3: What happened that night. How did he think that this wasn't going to implicate him.
Speaker 1: Maybe he didn't get good advice. Maybe he thought this was just a tall tale nobody was really going to listen to. Maybe he didn't think they were paying attention. Maybe he still thought there's no evidence. So I'm fine, I do not know. But Ropes, if you got away with a crime for damn near thirty years, the last thing you do is to say, hey, look at me, I got away with it for thirty years. Go sit down. This is crazy, and it's there was some debate about whether or not that would be allowed in and his some of his words and every Yep, it's all in there.
Speaker 2: All admissible, including some of the podcasts he did. I mean this was the book, yes, But then he was promoting the book, so he's talking about what he wrote. So not only do you have his written word, you actually have his verbal word as well. And he claims that, yeah, he provided the gun, that he threw it in the back seat. That's fairly damning given the charges he's facing.
Speaker 1: And reminder, you go back or this was September seventh, ninety six, Tupac. A lot of people, this is a very famous picture is the last photo of Tupac that was taken. But you see him sitting in the passenger seat of a black BMW. You see big Sug Night over in the driver's seat looking straight ahead, and Tupac is actually looking at the camera. It's a hell of a shot.
Speaker 3: It really even look.
Speaker 2: And you know, I'm not I was never a big rap listener, wasn't really into any of this, but I knew that photo.
Speaker 3: That photo is iconic.
Speaker 1: So it's in that the moments that followed that, apparently they stopped in an intersection, a white Cadillac pulled up, gunfire erupts. Tupac is shot four times, but it was some six days later that he actually died at the hospital. Now, this was the motive in all that role their surveillance video out there. Tupac was involved in a scuffle. The group he was with entourage had ganged up on beat up a guy who was with a rival gang. We see that, and that apparently set them off. Retaliation must happen and a plan was put in place, and the guy behind that plan is the guy going on trial today.
Speaker 2: Wow, and look that is the motive. And we mentioned earlier at least I touched on this. The folks who were in that Cadillac where the fires came, the firing or the weapon I guess was fired from. Everyone who was in that car is dead except for Davis, the defendant. So Orlando Anderson, that was the nephew. What was his uh, he had a nickname. I actually loved all of their nicknames. I did appreciate that. But he was the one who they were basically defending his honor, correct, and it is believed. I think most people speculated or have speculated that he is the one who may have actually pulled the trigger. But he died a few years years later in another shootout in Compton, correct, So he's not there to talk about it. His name was Baby Lane Orlando Baby Lane Anderson. That was his nephew. The other folks in the car DeAndre Smith. His name was DeAndre Freaky Smith. He died of natural causes I believe complications due to diabetes. And then Terry bubble Up Brown with in the car as well. He died as well in a shootout. So no one in that car where the shots came from is alive today except for the guy on trial.
Speaker 1: So kind of the only person left that you could could actually be tried decided to write a book like.
Speaker 3: In the he has no one to worry about it.
Speaker 2: If he was afraid of ever being called out as the mastermind, if he was afraid of ever facing the consequences for what happened that night. Anyone who could have actually told on him in a real way, who was in that car, they're dead. So the only person who could convict him is himself. And that is exactly what is appearing to being, that is appearing to have occurred, or is occurring right now.
Speaker 1: Now. He has claimed this was all kind of just fantasy. It was all kind of made up. It was just fiction.
Speaker 3: It was an fiction, this posture, okay.
Speaker 1: Trying to sound like a big man as possible. They don't have evidence of it.
Speaker 2: What he say he's going to say that he falsified his memoir, Yes, just to make it all sound good for the publisher.
Speaker 3: Which version were we supposed to believe?
Speaker 2: Because if you're saying you were lying or embellishing in your book already now you're not lying or embellishing to protect yourself.
Speaker 1: Already sold all the copies I'm going to sell.
Speaker 2: So I wonder how much that payout was and if it was worth it. Now that he's been sitting in prison for a couple of years awaiting trial.
Speaker 1: Do you remember you weren't much of a rap listener then nineties, but that was the heyday, right those Snoop DOGG came along, Tupac and Big all that stuff was going on. Do you remember any semblance of an East Coast West Coast rap rollery as.
Speaker 2: Okay, yes, yes, East Coast, West Coast, Yes I do. I wasn't again at all. We've documented how little I listened to rap in the nineties.
Speaker 3: But I was aware of that.
Speaker 1: Yes, Okay, I'm scared. No, I'm not going to ask your follow up, but please to that point, robe something that this thing that happened, everybody knows the Kendrick and Drake beef. Okay, the most famous one prior to that would have been the East Coast West Coast rap rivalry. They were dis tracks flying back and forth, some of them more famous than others. But because these guys on the East Coast and West Coast romes were actually affiliated with real street gang members, when a fence was taken through words that was the same as a fence being taken on the street and it got deadly. It absolutely did. This is all in that Sean Diddy Colmes was right in the middle of all this building up this East coast versus Tupac's West coast, and people were dying, babe over a thing we saw with Kendrick, and imagine that getting deadly.
Speaker 2: So I have Actually it's so funny. Just know I've heard before we even knew this trial was happening, You've talked a lot about that. And when we and you were, obviously as so many people were into this Drake versus Kendrick, I kept thinking, like, thank god, it's just about music, It's just about downloads.
Speaker 3: It's just it has you know.
Speaker 2: It's not about bullets. And I did think about that, how far we've come. I mean, what is it we're lessons learned in the nineties that how does why doesn't it bubble over now like it did then? Because we're not talking about street gangs affiliated with record labels.
Speaker 1: You don't have, yes, this same level of gang activity in the US that you had back then, I mean eighties, nineties talking heyday time, the mom so you don't have any of that. But no, the image and they were trying to get a lot of that out of wrap. They even had like a summit, like a piece summit between the East and West. After these guys, Tupac and Biggie got shot within six killed within six months. Wow, twenty five and twenty four. So that's okay, we can't have that. So yes, beefs bubble up. But that was just this was a part of what was really a dark and a sad time for music when two of the biggest stars who took hip hop worldwide and a major way are dead before they even get going.
Speaker 2: What's crazy is though, now you've got Sug Knight who was in the car and Diddy who was a part of all of it, and they're in prison for unrelated incidents. But still it's you know, you think about just the aftermath of all of that now present day, and now you've got Davis on trial and been in prison for the last couple of days years.
Speaker 3: I mean, when you think about it, it's.
Speaker 1: Discots from that era crazy. And you mentioned Sug and you mentioned Diddy. Stay here, how do those two play into this trial? And yeah, could Sean Diddy Holmes be transferred from one prison to a court room to testify.
Speaker 2: Welcome back everyone to Amy and TJ. And we are talking about a trial that begins today on Monday, a trial that has been thirty years in the making. We are going to possibly see justice from nineteen ninety six taking place. At least you're going to see someone finally being held accountable for the death of Tupac Shakur. And it's not the man who necessarily pulled the trigger.
Speaker 1: I think crazy after all this somebody's on Tromper's murder. No, not the guy who actually shot him. No, that's not the case. This is a guy who's accused of providing the gun. This is the same guy here we're talking about Davis Dwayne Keith Davis Ropes. He has claimed in the past that Sean Diddy Holmes offered him money to kill Tupac.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he did.
Speaker 2: He's in his book, this book we've been talking about, this memoir that has gotten him into so much legal trouble. But yet in that book he wrote that Sean Diddy Coombs wanted sug Night and Tupac Shaker dead and offered him money to kill them. Now, Diddy has denied any involvement in that shooting. Has he specifically denied even making the request.
Speaker 1: You know, I haven't seen officially, but I'm sure he had no. There's nowhere where he's admitted that, yes, I was, I inquired about killing someone. I sure did. No, so obviously not. But es it was that kind of serious back then, like lives were at stake. That thing got ugly and we were eating it up, and it was good for sales, and who's going to have the next record? And you know what, we couldn't just have them uploaded, They couldn't fire them off. It took months before it made the way to you. So you're the anticipation. You're waiting, who's going to say the next thing? Man, these dudes, I mean TUPI had a disrecord. He said, my faux foe, make sure all your kids don't grow you know, it's just wrap woo. But these guys were firing off stuff to each other. And Tupac was before he was remember before he was killed. He was shot here in New York at a studio that he always blamed bad Boy and Diddy and crew for. He never forgot shot five times.
Speaker 2: If you know, it's crazy, because obviously words are weapons. We talk about this all the time, But to think that those words were actually turned into bullets, I mean, truly that it one thing led to another.
Speaker 3: Now, Diddy is not from what I gathered on.
Speaker 2: Any witness list, but certainly there has been a lot of inquiry as to whether or not he could or would testify in this case. It doesn't seem likely. But what about Shuge Knight. That's the one that I'm confused by. He's in prison right now serving a twenty eight year sentence for running over and killing a Compton businessman outside of a burger stand. But that was back in twenty fifteen. He has said previously that he would not testify in Davis's case, But I was just curious, like, couldn't they compel him to?
Speaker 1: He's forced to.
Speaker 2: He's literally the only living witness, or at least who was in that car other than Davis, who's still alive today. It seems like you would want him to test Yeah, why wouldn't he testify? That certainly would be a spectacle for sure. And he's not being quiet. I mean he's talked about Oh Comb's like Diddy during that trial. He was talking to reporters from prison non stop. So the dude likes to talk, so I'm just curious why he wouldn't want to testify in this case.
Speaker 1: Maybe he's got something.
Speaker 3: If you all could see the look on DJ's face.
Speaker 1: HM, there's so many stories out there about Shoe Knight. I've even sitting here. I'm not going to say anything, but we just have to take the fifth.
Speaker 3: That's almost like what your face looked like.
Speaker 2: I take the fifth. I'm not gonna even go further on that. Roes, please do talking about sign right?
Speaker 1: All right with that, folks, we're keeping an eye on a lot of stuff today. I want to update you here. We'll be following. Of course, we always appreciate you spending time with us. I'm TJ for my dear Amy. Robog will talk so
Speaker 2: M