Speaker 1: Welcome to Chopping It Up.
Speaker 2: I'm your host, Mike Halon, the senior Restaurant and food Service analyst at Bloomberg Intelligence. Our research and that of bi's five hundred analysts around the globe can be found exclusively on the Bloomberg terminal. Today, we're joined by Andrew Smith. Andrew is the managing partner and co founder of Savory Fund, the private equity investor in the restaurant space. Thanks for joining the pod.
Speaker 3: So excited to be here finally. Listen to all your other ones though, Mike, and they're really really good. So I'm actually just excited to chill out with you this morning.
Speaker 2: So dude, same same, Yeah. Yeah, I've been looking forward to doing this since I met you at the uh the Black Box. Yeah, the Box Panels.
Speaker 3: That was a cool event too. They did a great job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they always do. Man.
Speaker 2: And one of the tidbits I got from when we were on that panel, I think you made a mention to the fact that you you you're you know, you're a race car driver.
Speaker 1: So have you been out on the track recently or well.
Speaker 3: Not recently, but man, every single day I wake up. I actually I collect a little bit too. And so whenever I passed any of my cars that I collect and I was like, gosh, dang it, I got to get back out on the track. But yeah, I I raised Porsche and Audi for four and a half years and some of the funnest times. It was like one of those checkboxes in my life and I did it. So yeah, it was fun.
Speaker 1: It's very cool.
Speaker 2: So what what's your all time favorite car to race and is there one that you're like dying to drive but you haven't yet.
Speaker 3: I think my all time favorite card to race has been the GT four Kman Porsche. But my the one that I want to I want to race is uh yeah, the Ferrari Challenge Car, so the two ninety six Challenge car. But I drive those, but I don't race them. And man, racing them would be very expensive.
Speaker 1: I'm sure insurance would be pretty expensive.
Speaker 3: They don't even ensure of Mike, you hit the wall, you're paying for it, so there's no expense.
Speaker 1: So a very high replacement cost, very high replacement go. Yeah, awesome, very cold.
Speaker 2: All right, what's what inspires you to start the Savory Fund and what's unique about the way it operates?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Mike, my career started actually in tech, if you can believe it. Nineteen ninety eight I started my first company. And I think it's funny when I say this to people because it really does age me. I mean, I know you can see me. But I do have a few grades now, Mike. I think I've earned those. They're hard earned. But I started my first company nineteen ninety eight. It was streaming media. Can you believe that? Like you think about that in our lifetime, like it hasn't the streaming media and like video on our phones and TV, it hasn't always existed. And the answer is no, it didn't always exist, and the Internet was fairly new with stream media in nineteen ninety six, seven and eight, I started streaming media company. So that's where I started my impetus and my entrepreneurial career was. Then I built and sold out to a public company, and then I started another company that was in financial software and then construction software. When I was doing my last company, which was a construction software company that was private equity backed, my wife of at the time, how many years is that was? Ten years we were married, We had two toddler boys, and she says, hey, I want to do something different than just be a stay home mom. I'd like to do a business or whatever. And I said, well, great, what would you like to do. You've been such a great support to me. And she's like, I'd like to open a restaurant. I'm like, oh, my hell, that has the stupidest idea, Like why would you ever do that? And I had all these fallacies in my head about the industry, which most people do that don't really know the ETHNB industry, And what came out of my mouth, Mike was I think it's a great idea, and I would love to support you, and I think we should definitely do that. And for that reason, I'm married for twenty five years now, Mike. But yeah, I supported her. And she opened up her first restaurant in two thousand and eight, and believe it or not, it was like the worst time in the world for tech and the stock market and banks and construction, and so my life was on fire. And she opened up her first restaurant and to my surprise, it was absolutely slammed. It was so busy, and I'm like, how's that fair? Like why is my life on fire now? And she's like crushing it and The one thing that I was so impressed with was after a few months of her being in business, I remember looking at her p and l her finances and I'm like, holy crap, what is that? And she says, Andrew, that's called profit because I had never seen that before my whole career. Mike is a tech CEO and founder. And so, to shorten up the story, the following year, I sold my tech business. We actually stabilized it and we sold it, and I called her up and said, Heed, I'd love to join you and see what this is all about. So we really started our business career sixteen years ago was just kind of try something together, do something together. And boy, our whole career Mike has been a series of moonshots. We kind of said, well, let's do five of these, and let's do ten. It was a bakery and cafe concept at the time. We ended up doing fifty of them. So that was kind of like one of those moonshot stories where it's like, wow, we just built one hundred million dollar business just because it was serendipitous, and we really started building this an amazing team behind us. We got into Little Caesars program and they had eighty seven Little Caesars, and then we started having brands come to us and say, hey, what you're doing with these other brands, could you do for us? And we had this incredible ops team, we were operators, and so we said, yeah, I think we could probably do it with other brands too, and so we started making investments in twenty and seventeen. In twenty eighteen, and that was really the pivot of our previous company to the Savory Fund, where we decided to take really our operational background, our team, our playbook of growth and apply it to emerging brands. And instead of doing it with just the bank of Andrew and Shauna, we decided to do with others that we know and trust. And so we raised a Savory Fund one in twenty eighteen, or Savy Fund two, which was a absequent one hundred million dollar funds will both back to back on hundred million dollar funds in twenty twenty one, and then we just launched fun three for two hundred million dollars to beta this year.
Speaker 1: Very cool.
Speaker 2: Why don't you talk to me a little bit about your process of identifying potential investments.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the process is actually pretty easy. People think that's really really hard. But Mike, you and I are were patrons of restaurants, right, and it's really easy when you go in to a restaurant, right when you walk in to go, wait a second, there's something really good here. And then you go through the process or you order, or you sit down and you're served, and when you leave, you think, well, they have everything there, the sites, the sounds, the smells, that everything was hit, like all my senses were hit and they did it amazingly. Those are the brands we all remember, and those are the brands that we typically are talking to. And it's interesting that most people would probably step over them because they're not multi regional players yet. But if you look under the underbelly of that business, most of the businesses we look at they've been around for ten years, fifteen years, and they have six to fifteen units, and there are these unbelievably successful brands, but most are just not looking at them. And so for us, we think, well, why have they not continued to grow? And we realize it's because it's just a different skill. There's a skilled gap for me to start something, and there's a skill gap mostly for founders to take things from call it ten units to one hundred units or ten units to fifty units, and it's really the skill that we have as a team. So when we identify brands, we look for the ones that are typically stepped over but are absolutely evolving that flavor segment or the segment of emerging brands within that area, and we approach them directly. So, Mike, if you had a restaurant, we would call you up and say, listen, we think the world of your brand and the concept, and we'd love to meet. I'd say ten out of ten times we get the founder to respond and meet with us. So it's been very, very fun to meet with the founders across America. We diligent sixteen hundred brands. Can you believe that it's been a few Yeah, so yeah, we just look for the ones that are kind of stepped over, but the ones that are really doing something very unique and kind of show their head above the rest of the crowd.
Speaker 2: That's cool, and that's is that kind of the target for brands around ten units, is that that's typically what you're looking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say we go down to as low as five and you know, I think five to ten units, you start to get data that you can actually underwrite and look at and say they have they done enough to scrub off the startup phase, the fad phase, the well it's just is this just cool right now, but it's not going to be very cool three or four years from now. I think it gives them time to evolve through some cycles. Yeah, and typically during cycles you see the most out of a brand, out of the leadership team, out of a founder, right, So we like to get to the point where we kind of see them go through a couple of evolutions or cycles. So yeah, we like five to ten units kind of the call it five to fifteen years.
Speaker 2: All right, Cole, is there something more to like, you know, figuring out what trends are hot and discerning a fad versus you know, outside of just maybe staying power for that particular brand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there is. I mean obviously there's some data. There's a lot of great data. And if you look at even the group that you and I were talking about earlier with black Box, I mean there's great data out there that we followed to see where consumer trends are spending their money. So yeah, we know that there's some flavor segments out there right now, especially that we're very interested in that they're hot, that they're being disrupted. If you think about, you know, the Asian category, for instance, Mike as an example, you know, we all grew up going to eat at the little hole in the wall shop that's really, really, really good Asian food, you know, a Chinese cuisine or a you know, a Thai cuisine. But they're starting to go out because the second generation, we home G two and G three, they just don't want to take over. They want to go something else with their lives, and so they're really faced with either trying to sell it to someone that will take it or just shut them up. So we've watched that data the last several years, and if you look at the King of the Pin, I mean it really is Andrew over at Panda Express. I mean, he's crushed it. It's something that we all have to just stand there and revere him for what he's done. But there's a lot of disruption in that category with the single shops, and so we think that something like that is very interesting to us. So we've looked at a lot of Asian concepts recently and it's incredible to see that you're and my dollars. If there's a good shop around us, we're spending money there often. I mean, it's on the pin wheel of options. And so that's kind of an idea of where we start focusing because we feel like that trend will be interesting for the next several decades.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I feel like if it really fits in with the growth of delivery because it travels so well, right.
Speaker 3: For sure, it does travel well. I mean, who doesn't like a cold noodle, even totally warm?
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's very cool. I had a Sheish State on the pod recently, you know, Ashish.
Speaker 3: Of course I know that she's he's my banker's great.
Speaker 1: He's great for he.
Speaker 3: Worked with me on buy and he also helps me with on the cell side, so he's great. Harrington Park's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's awesome.
Speaker 2: So yeah, he was on the pod and he mentioned there's significantly more demand for the franchise ors versus company owned chains right now and that we've kind of had that shift. You know, I'm sure it depends on the brand, But when do you think a change should start looking at franchising? Is it at ten units, twenty five units, fifty units? When when should that you know, new muscle be worked on. Yeah, I think that he knows what he's talking about.
Speaker 3: I think that there's been a shift to franchise or models where people want to buy the franchise or because they can, they can push the expense and the cost and the risk of growing and developing those brands off to the franchisees. And the reason why they're doing that is because it's expensive right now. Everything's expensive to build. Real estate's expensive. Interest rates are high, so it's expensive to service that debt. So you really push that risk adjusted return off to the to the you know, the franchise e, and then for years, the franchise or you can kind of sit back and relax and take royalty. The problem is with that, though, is the cash on cash on some of these brands is so high. Why would you Why would you push that off to the franchise Z If you, as a corporate owner have such good returns and you have good build costs, you have no problem staffing your stores, you have the hype, you're in the right flavor segment. I actually believe that there's buyers for all types of brands in all different I would say chapters of their growth, and they don't always all have to be franchise or franchise y relationships. I also think that a lot of the amazing brands, and we've seen this too, Mike, there's been a lot of amazing brands where they have really screwed up their business because they went franchising too soon and they didn't really have a very good under belly or undercaracter foundation, whatever you want to call it, to their main business, the hub. And so for me, I always feel like, no matter if you go franchise or not, Like, we franchised a brand that we've been involved with for many years and we still own a significant majority of Swig drinks, and Swig you know, went out, we built fifty five sixty corporate stores, had this unbelievable cash flowing business. We were in the game, we were operators, and then we flipped the switch to say, well, let's start franchising to kind of protect our turf and still be the leader in dirty Sodas because it's the original concept creator of dirty Sodas. And we sold five hundred and fifty franchises and we're still adding twenty five units in corporate a year to be in the game with the franchise ese. But the franchisees that we got were like, well, since you know what it takes to be a you know, a store operator, an owner and operator of this business, we believe you more. We trust you, We're going to be in this together. And the other thing is we don't depend on them for franchise fees and royalty fees. I think that there's a disconnect between you and me, Mike. If you're the franchise O or I'm the franchise e, you have no thing, but I'm paying you every single month, and you're so dependent on it. You don't really care about my success. You just need my franchise fees and my royalty. Yes, So that for us, we just we don't think it's wrong to franchise. We have franchise businesses. It's just when do you franchise? Is really the position that we take.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting, you know, we think it's very important to have skin in the game for a franchise or for sure, and the most successful growth franchise or as we've seen Popeyes, is one that really comes to mind, or ones that care about their franchisees and have a good enough relationship that the franchises will share the P and L data and the franchisors will actually you know, help them make more money.
Speaker 3: Right, do something about it, right, Like I think that people that are enfranchising sometimes fail to understand you're not selling them something. They're not paying you for something, and for how great you are. There is a partnership. So it's just like getting an LLC document and signing it to get other. In my mind, you're both in bed together. Now you're partners. You're married for a period of at least ten years. On these franchise agreements. How would you treat your partner and how would you treat your spouse? Sir? How you want to treat your franchisees the same way. You want to be in partnership with them. And if they're not successful, you're not going to be successful. So we you know, within the Savory platform we have we have twelve brands, and within those brands, we have two of them franchising and others that are right on the verge of potentially franchising. But across the board, Savory will always have skin in the game. We will always have a foundational corporate body of stores to pay for team, to pay for innovation, to pay for technology, to pay for support, and not have the dependency on franchisees to do that for me. I want to do that for them. I don't want them to do it for me.
Speaker 1: Awesome.
Speaker 2: Any thoughts on cosmics, you know, cosmics interesting?
Speaker 3: Listen. I'm from Chicago and so I was born and bred in the Golden arch, you know days, And I think that the thing about mcdonn well that none of us can ever say anything about is how I think transformational their brand really is. I mean, they've gone through so many evolutions as that brand, and you know, they have some smart people over there. The thing I like about it is they've kept thinkings simple at McDonald's. Of course they add things in and out, but you know, I still eat the same freaking meal if I go to McDonald's as I did when I was a kid. Right, So, when I saw them spin out and do cosmics, I in my mind, I thought, man, that seems in my mind like a little bit of an offshoot. And it's also they're grasping for straws. In my mind, I think you should just stick with what you are as golden arches and introduce some things on your menu there. I think Cosmics is something that's interesting because it's also paving the road for new innovation within the segment of Hey, I just want to quick treat and I want to go grab something real quick, and I don't want to have a full menu. But I think Cosmics has got too big of a menu. I think that they should go, you know, more simple. It's hard to stay simple, Mike, and he says that several times in this industry, simple is hard. I mean, look at in and out how simple they've been all these years, and they crushed it. It's been hard for them to stick with X. They've been putting, you know, put pressure has been put on them to add things over the years, and they just haven't. And so I think simple is hard, and I think Cosmics not too simple. But I'll tell you this right now. It's impressive that they're going for it, and I actually think it'll be a success. But they have a long way to go to figure out what that's going to be and what it will look like across the country if they decide to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. I have a question about site selection. Is it difficult.
Speaker 1: For some of these hot emerging brands.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm sure there's there's a pretty significant competition for sites.
Speaker 1: I know what there is in the fast casual side, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Let me tell you why it's hard, though. I think it's probably a little different than what other people think. That that is, first and foremost, I've built I don't know, hundreds of millions of dollars of real estate from ground up. So I've bought land, built the buildings, put my concepts in them. I've also ground least take the land, I'll put all the improvements and put a building on it. I don't own it, but now the landlord does. I've also just done regular TI build out. I will say that, you know, since I've been in the industry the sixteen years that I have been, I came into it kind of during a recession, you know, in two thousand and eight, two thousand and nine, I've gone through kind of the pole years. We kind of hit the epidemic or pandemic, which slowed everything down. And then now we've kind of been in this new evolution of the industry of well, what's next. And I think that people don't really know what's next. And when I say that, as far as on the real estate, there's a lot of new product coming where people are going, which is the sprawl areas, the suburbs, where there's new people coming in in droves because they're living certain geographies and they're going to new geographies like Dallas and Houston and others that are just exploding, and so there's new product coming out of the ground. But what has made real estate super super hard over the last three years is one cost of construction and supply shortage. That was a huge, huge problem twenty twenty two, twenty twenty three, and I think everybody felt it cost to build something was up forty to fifty sixty sometimes one hundred percent, which is ridiculous. So you just can't make investment decisions that make sound, you know, return earns with that cost increase, and so I think it slowed everybody down from building new buildings, so there's not new product coming out of the ground. And then it's made people kind of overpriced or gouge people that are looking for land. So where you're trying to ground lease, you could use the ground lease something for sixty seventy eighty thousand to put a swig on it, and now everybody thinks, well, it's worth one hundred and twenty five hundred and forty five hundred and fifty a year, and I don't think that the landlords understand that's not sustainable. And so I think we're going to go through kind of a cycle right now where you're going to see a lot of people growing fast and then a lot of stuff coming back on market to flip it to someone else to sublet or take it off their hands because you just can't sustain those prices. So it's it's I think there's a big shake up right now in real estate. There is product out there, it's either old or dilapidated, and you have to regentrify it. Ground leases are very very expensive, and so we're just being disciplined and not overpain because we think that people are going to turn around and try to release it because they can't make money at those prices. And then construction costs have finally come down, mic so we're starting to see new projects that have been mothballed for the last couple of years start up again, and so we think that the next eighteen months there will be new projects to actually start negotiating on. But you're right, if there's a building, there's five, six, seven, eight lois that are in that, you know that owner's hands and he can play us all off of each other and try to get the best price, and kudos to him, you can do it. I would just say to all my counterparts in this industry, mic, stop screwing each other by, you know, raising the prices more and more and more. Let's just all be disciplined and say this is what works for us, and let's keep the prices down because we're doing it to ourselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's really interesting.
Speaker 2: You know, what we're hearing is that some of these public chains are really driving up the prices of real estate because they're you know, public, and we're again in that Wall Street pressure to grow at you know, mid to high single digits every year. You know, obviously that's impacting the prices.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I guess one of the benefits, you know, of being a private company is that you don't have that quite that pressure and you can be a little bit more patient with the real estate, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can. And I sometimes I wonder, I mean I own a lot of that stock in some of these public companies because I'm intrigued with them. I think they're doing an incredible job. But as I sit there, even as a shareholder and read everything that's going on, I think, are we, as investors or the public, let's just say, the street, do we care more about the unit count or the quality of the units? So is it quality over quantity, right? Or is it quantity over quality? And I think the problem is is that we we lean more on growth of units, so get more roofs out there built, And in my mind, I think that we're all backwards on that. Having you know, some of the greatest brands out there that have done incredible work over the last five ten years, the Sweet Greens, the Caavas, the Chipotles, you know, any of them. There's a certain point in time you have to make money. You got to make really good money too. And I can say that because we've made really, really good money on our brands, and I'm never hesitant to say I'm going to pause and perfect and get my profits up versus adding more roofs. And I think that the street mic as you know, they're like, well, you need to grow a twenty five or thirty five percent clip a year with more and more roofs. I wish the rhetoric would be and the interviews would be, how are you doing and have you increased profits and have you got a better customer sentiment so that you're a stabilized business. Instead it's just how many more units always every year? And it's like stupid because they are they're driving up the cost. You know, I go to a couple centers in Boston and I'm trying to say this because you're you're up in those neck of the woods. Love Boston. Boston's amazing, right, and there's so many beautiful places that we would love to grow. One of our brands in the DMV called South Block that's doing just an incredible job in the DMB, And I thought the DMB was expensive. You up to Boston, You're like, you know, yeah, the rents one hundred and fIF they're two hundred foot there. I'm like two hundred foot, Like Gucci can't afford that, Like what are you talking about? So yeah, I think that we're kind of lost our damn minds on what we think is realistic, and then people are pissed off when they have to spend ten dollars on a drink. It's like I the rent is you know, ridiculous, and so if we don't cool it, we're all going to be paying for it anyway. All right.
Speaker 2: Industry traffic has been an issue amid all the price increases that have been implemented. You know, customers are becoming more discerning with their dollars, the spreads widening between winners and losers. What can brands do to retain the customers that they have and help increase traffic in this environment?
Speaker 3: Yeah, this, and we're not immune to it. Savory is dealing with the same thing. I don't think anybody can say that they're immune to it. We have, you know, a portfolio of a dozen brands, like I told you, and we have some that are down in traffic, some that are flatten, some that are up. The thing that we're realizing we're trying to get the other ones that are down in traffic up. Of course, like everybody is that the consumer is fairly fit. And I think that with the consumer, they're not as loyal as they used to be. They're putting dollars where they feel they're getting the most value for their money, and they're dumping the brands that they feel like they're getting gouged. What we see is with one of our brands, you know, getting a good value and getting a lot of food. Let's just say weight to your dollar.
Speaker 1: Is more than one way to measure value.
Speaker 3: Absolutely there is that. I think there's this perceived value of I got a lot more from my money, so IM going to come back. And so I think the indulgent brands are winning right now for us, and I think for others as well. Where it's it can still be a larger price for a didem that they're buying, but still the perceived value is still higher for what you're getting. But indulgent brands, habitual brands and brands that are repetitive brands, you can eat a lot of it and you don't feel like it's something that's you know, for special occasions only. Those are the ones that are getting the traffic. It's just the bottom line. So I think it's going to come back, yes, But I do think that the American dollar is getting squeezed right in everybody's pocket. And because it's getting s these people are looking for value or they're putting it in the indulgence. So a snack in the afternoon. For right now, a lot of people are saying, well, I'm just grabbing a drink and a snack and that's their lunch. And so we're losing traffic to lunch because there's snack options out there now too. That when I say snack, not sugary like you know, unhealthy snacks. It can be a healthy snack with a you know, a flavored drink. But at the end of the day, I think people are substituting eating out like they used to with indulgent snack times and then value plays. That's just what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know what's interesting and right now is everybody's trying to court those you know, gen Y and gen Z customers, and they tend to be very fickle and not very loyal.
Speaker 3: Right They're not loyal, and I think that we're all pushing for someone that is going to be loyal. The loyalty programs help quite a bit because we can watch what they're doing. But I will say the loyalty programs, where those fickle customers respond is when you actually offer them up some sort of a deal, right Like, if you come and do this, it's a bugo on this day, or if you come on this day, it's a fifty percent off, or they're using the old programs to actually go places to get value, right. So if you do that too much, then you're going to devalue your brand. Then you're just hurting your margins in the bottom line anyway. So you got to be really careful not to coop on the hell out of your brand, and you want to be very very careful to not just give away your profit because then you're working for nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, we talk about it all the time.
Speaker 2: We saw that in the Great Recession, the chains that we're doing a lot of couponing train their customers that the food wasn't worth the price on the menu, and they would only come with a coupon in hand, whereas like a chain that had everyday value tend to do a lot better in the short and the long term.
Speaker 3: That's right, short and long term. And I think that there's some brands that I'm like man Man that is actually a fairly expensive burger, that's a really expensive bowl of food or whatever, they don't discount, and today they're some of the better brands out there. I mean, people know that they're going to get a good value and it's good quality, and I would just be very careful about overcooponing your business.
Speaker 2: Yeah, speaking of everyday value, Brinker's done a good job at Chili's right, they're ten ninety nine to three for me and throwing shade at the fast food chains for how expensive their value meals have become.
Speaker 3: It's been incredible. And like I said, people think always that casual dining is kind of like the dining breed. It's such a large segment of this industry, as you know, Mike, and how many of us don't go to sit downs. I mean, I don't think there's Americans that don't go sit down, have a table side server from time to time and eat a meal there. So I just think that people can't write that off. We definitely are looking at that market to make new investments, Mike. Is the casual dining now? Is it going to be defined dining where the papa is seventy five and one hundred dollars a person? No, But I do think Americans want to go out and still have a nice meal at Chili's, right, Like they still want to go sit down and have that experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's a lot of relevant emerging chains too, Like Lazy Dog comes to mind.
Speaker 3: Right, Lazy Dog has done a great job. Right.
Speaker 2: So on a previous life, you're a tech CEO and using your restaurant experience, what do you think are some of the most exciting new restaurant technologies out there? What needs do restaurants really have that you think can be filled with new and up and coming restaurant technologies.
Speaker 3: It's really interesting you say that, because we are approached a lot of times by technology, of course, because they want to sell to one of our brands and then get all of our brands because it's we're growing them all. So I think it's pretty interesting for them to get Savory and so we have a kind of a front seat that a lot of the different technologies that are coming out. And I feel like there's been so much tech. I remember when we when I got into this industry, like sixteen years ago. I remember getting our catering orders if you call it, or your daily orders on a fax machine. Like I can't even believe that was within my lifetime within the food and beverage industry. And I have people I know in this industry They've been in this industry industry for thirty years, and I'm like, holy crap. If I was getting them on fax machines, what were you guys were getting them on like scrolls, Like what the hell? It's just crazy to know how fast, you know, things have evolved in chas in this industry. Of course, the pandemic pushed more technology in this segment, food and beverage segment than ever before. We had this slide that was presented to us the other day of all the new tech in the industry and had hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of logos right on this sheet. And the problem for us as operators and the food and beverage segment is it's overwhelming. You don't even know which ones are going to help you, which ones are going to actually fine tune the business, make it more profitable, bring more business, make your customers more happy. So I do think that there's got to be a Darwinian shakeout also within the tech sector, within F and B, and I think that it will happen. I think it's already starting to happen. Because the tech industry is underwater right now, they're all swinging for it. I feel like it's a knife fight for all of them right now to raise money to continue. I think several of them that probably couldn't really get customer matching will probably fall out, and that's okay, I mean that's just what happens. But I will say that the ones that we're most interested in are the things that we have to do that a technology can simplify and reduce cost out of and reduce human intervention. So do I think AI is really intriguing in this industry, Yes, but we've been looking at AI every day. I feel like talked about AI this year like it's a new thing. AI has been talked about for years, right, Mike, and I think that AI has got a long way to go on how it's going to work to help our industry because it's such a touch point hospital it's hospitality, so there's so much high touch with our customers and within the restaurant that I don't think AI is going to take us out of this industry or take our consumers away from brick and mortar. But I do think AI is going to be interesting. And I think that robotics have a place, but they're just so far from from where we need them to be they're so expensive, and I don't think that they've nailed it yet. We're looking at a couple right now that we're very intrigued with, but it's just not there yet. So I think that some are too early still, and I think early adopters are testing it, and I think we'll wait for them to do that. I think AI is interesting, but I think it's also early adopting, and there's a lot of technology that is just on the base of chat, GPT and others that it's like, well, you really don't have anything unique in AI. It's just you're using chat GPT to do what you're doing. So I think there's going to be a shakeout. I think that their technology arena is still a little early in F and B, but we are still very very interested in using a lot of it where it's going to replace maybe some human intervention and reduce cost of other things. One example would be that we use and we actually invested into as well as eighty six repairs.
Speaker 1: You know, your.
Speaker 3: FMM or your FM costs and a business are so high that if you can do things to track, manage dispatch and get costs down on your facilities and maintenance costs. That's something we all have to do. It's a sucky thing you have to do in this industry, but you have to do with all of your brick and mortar locations, and CAPEX is expensive, and so using a technology like that has reduced our costs on facility management. And we're going to look at technologies to do things like that within every single line out. I'm in the middle of our P and L because technology should make a lot of those things better.
Speaker 2: Okay, good stuff, And I can't I can't end this until I talk to you about Detroit Stop Pizza because I'm a huge fan. Every time I go to Vegas, I visit Pizza Rock. I don't know if you oh yeah pizza. Oh my god, it's so good.
Speaker 3: And when you go in there in the semi staring you in your face, you kind of feel like you're a rock star. Right yeah.
Speaker 2: So one of your one of your investment companies, right via three one three Yes, sells Detroit Stop Pizza, Right yeah.
Speaker 3: It was. It's cool because I gotta be very careful because I'm from Chicago, mic so I'm an impost buying in troyt Hell pizza company. I gotta be honest, man, it is so damn good. I was a consumer, honestly. I was in I was in Austin, and whenever we're in a city, we always asked locals, Hey, where do you go with, where's the best pizza, where's the best Indian food, or where. So we always want to find out if we're looking at different flavor segments. And they said, oh, my gosh, you got to go to Via three one three, And the cool thing was is VIA three one three. I speak Spanish too, I'm bilingual, and so I heard VIA and I'm like, oh, that's by the way of And three one three is the area code over from Chicago, which is three one two. And I'm like, oh, it's by the Way of Detroit. And I'm like, it's Detroit style pizza. So I knew what it was, but most people don't understand that it's the area code of Detroit and it's by the Way of Detroit. My partners, Brandon and Zane Hunt, two brothers that lived and grew up in Detroit. We're done in Austin. They both had different jobs and they're like, there's not pizza like this here, and so they started out of the trailer and when they were serving the square pizza with the sauce on top and explaining what you know, Detroit Stale pizza was, people said, well, what is this and they said, well, it's Detroit style pizza. And they did that, Mike, fourteen years ago, thirteen years ago, Detroit style pizza was not really a phrase. When you were in Chicago, you just called it pizza. Yeah, And when you're in Detroit, you just call it pizza. You don't call it Detroit stell pizza. In Detroit, they were really the ones that coined the phrase Detroit stele pizza and they're actually identified as that and they're looked at as kind of the pioneers of Detroit Stell Pizza. So we made an investment a couple of years back. We're opening up stores twenty one to twenty five this year. We already opened up a couple this year and so we're getting close. Man, it's it's fun to it's fun to see that one grow because it's an unbelievable product, unbelievable story, and we're just honored to be working on that one with Brendan and Zane Hunt. Very cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's dope, man. I mean, I my buddy introduced me to the Pizza Rock. I'm thinking it was probably right before the pandemic, you know, And to think in just a few years now, Pizza Hut is selling Detroit.
Speaker 3: Crazy, right. I remember when they came out with it, there was the you know, the promo for it, and I was with Brendan and Sane and we're like, well, we should go get some and see if it's good. I mean, we like pizza. And when we go eat other pizza to another Detroit style, if it's good, we're like, you guys, phenomenal job. I mean, we can't serve everybody. I mean, there's so many damn people on the earth. And so we go and try other people and we compliment. And the cool thing we've run it and saying is they're so pro everybody winning. I just love how they view everybody. And so we went and got Pizza Hut. We sat in my office and Savory and we all ate a piece and we all kind of looked at each other and a couple of people were like, well it's pretty okay, and there's like I don't really like it, and so it's just fun because yeah, pizza comes out with it's like Detroit style. It's like you're grasping.
Speaker 1: For sure, man, And it's awesome.
Speaker 2: And you know, you know to the point you made about everybody winning, and you know it is such a fragmented business and you know you don't you're not. It doesn't have to be a knife fight with every restaurant on the plot, all right. And I think that's what's beautiful about this industry. And I'm sure that's part of the reason why you've been drawn away from tech and into restaurants. Man, it's just filled with a lot of great people.
Speaker 3: It is, you know, tech. I always told people, they're like, why did you come from tech to food. I'm like, I don't know. I think that I'm going to my career and food and beverage. I've loved it so much. And you know, in tech, you all hold your cards so tight, right, and you're like, well, what are you working on? And they or I can't tell you. I'm like, I'm not even building the same type of tech as you. And in this industry it's so different because it's like, like, what are you doing? You tell me the brand you're doing and the food and it's amazing, and I'll share you what I'm doing, and I'm telling you how well I'm doing and where I'm successful and where I'm not. It just is so open and free flowing. It's one of the reasons why six years ago I started the Restaurantology Conference, my own conference where we put it on. We pay for everything. We don't have anybody there pitching anything, or any vendors or nothing. We have six hundred operators come and we just tell them everything we're doing. We have no secrets because I care that everybody wins, even there's people that compete with some of my brands are there. And then after in the hallway and during lunch when we feed everybody, they're all talking to each other and sharing what's working and what's not working. In my mind, nothing there has hurt anybody's business. It's only helped each other's business because we only learn from each other and we all want to improve. Can't feed everybody, you know, none of us can. So I agree, that's why I really have enjoyed this industry. I guess I'm going to stay in at my good stuff. Man.
Speaker 2: Well, listen, we're lucky to be in the industry, and the industry is lucky to have you, man.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that very much. Thank you, Mike.
Speaker 1: Be sure thing all right?
Speaker 2: So where can our listeners go to find out more about Savory Fund and find your podcast?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Savory fund dot com is pretty easy. And then Restaurantology podcast is just on Apple, Spotify, everything else. And you know what I'm doing on that one is I'm just talking to some of our founders and telling the story. We're talking to some of our team and sharing things that we talk about at Restaurantology, tips and tricks, what was working for us, what's not. We have nothing to hide. We're telling everybody what we're doing. We want everybody to win. So unfortunately people can believe that if they want, but truly I want everybody to win.
Speaker 2: Good stuff and the big thanks to the audience for tuning in. If you liked the episode, please subscribe and leave a review. Check back soon for a conversation with Jeff Chandler, the CEO of Hop Dottie
Speaker 3: Stan