Speaker 1: Hi, everybody.
Speaker 2: Welcome to another edition of Packers Unscripted from Packers dot Com. I am Mike Spofford, joined as always by my partner in crime, Weston Hodkwitz. We're coming to you hear from our studios at lambeau Field to preview the Week two matchup. It will be the home opener for the Green Bay Packers Green Bay against Indianapolis Sunday noon Central time, kickoff at lambeau Field. And what's when you look at this Colts team that's coming in here, coming off a tough loss of their own in Week one, twenty nine to twenty seven to division rival in their case, the Houston Texans. The biggest difference of course being that they don't have a quarterback injury to deal with like like the Packers have. But Anthony Richardson, a young quarterback, a first round pick last year by the Colts, showing a lot of promise and finding his way, and this is going to be a challenging matchup for certain for the Packers.
Speaker 3: Well, if you look at what happened last week and the matchup that they had against the Philadelphia Eagles, in some ways this is such a reflection of that with what you're getting in the Indianapolis Colts because you have home run hitters on the outside of Michael Pittman. Junior Alec Pierce went off last week and certainly you know Anthony Richardson nine completions for over two hundred yards in addition to being their leading rusher in that game against Houston. It just shows you how dynamic he is. And before the injury last year, I thought he was a guy that had gotten off to a really strong start and it had flashed in all the ways that you wanted to see him flash out of the gates. Ultimately, it wasn't enough to win. Ultimately, they weren't able to get Jonathan Taylor going. But many of the same threats that the pass had to be leary of with the Philadelphia Eagles are also present now with the Colts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Richardson, It's interesting because he just has five NFL starts under his belt at this point. But a couple of things to point out with regard to that in four of those five starts, he has at least one rushing touchdown as a quarterback. So that is definitely something you have to be aware of, and it's certainly something the Packers prepared for as you mentioned with Jalen Hurts and the Philadelphia Eagles last week. So you have to believe some of those same concepts, if from the game plan, are going to carry over from week one to week two. I pointed this out. You already hinted at it. I pointed it out in our three Things video that we shot with Larry on Wednesday after practice. Two hundred and twelve passing yards for Richardson against the Texans, one hundred and seventy one of them on three completions. He hit Alec Pearce twice for fifty plus yards, one of those was a sixty plus y touchdown, and then Ashton Doolan also had a fifty plus yard touchdown.
Speaker 1: In that game.
Speaker 2: So you have to be wary of the big play against against the Colts because Richardson has shown even though he is a guy, you have to be concerned where he's going to tuck and run. Maybe there'll even be some design runs for him that kind of thing. He will also step back and let it rip. I mean he will let it fly and try to try to gash you deep down the field. And then if nothing's working with Anthony Richardson, Oh, yeah, they have a guy named Jonathan Taylor they can turn to in the backfield. He as you said, he wasn't really able to get going against the Texans last week, but we have certainly seen games over the course of his career when he gets going. He is a tough guy to slow down. He's one of the running backs in this league that can control a game and control tempo from start to finish. If that Colts offensive line is winning the line of scrim.
Speaker 3: It's weird that, like the thunder and lightning combination that they've kind of built there with two very big he han beings relative to their position. Richardson, you have a guy that's over six three, two hundred and forty pounds that can run a four to four and then an Jonathan Taylor guy that really packs upunch at two hundred and twenty six pounds, and you know, we saw it a number of years ago with him. There was a reason why there you know, there's a little bit of that holdout last year, but why they were so it was so important for them to keep him locked down for the long term. In this day and age where maybe running backs aren't getting those huge contracts anymore because he really was the guy that fired that offense for so long, and yeah, they weren't able to get it going against Houston, and credit to the Texans and everything that they've been able to do there and the way they've rebuilt that thing in one year's time. It's not an easy front to run against. But all that being said, with Taylor's ability to run between the tackles and Richardson's ability to make things happen with his feet, that there's just always that big play waiting to happen. And for Green Bay and Matt Lafuller talked about it this week, there were so many things they did well in terms bottling up Jalen Hurts and even to some extent, containing Saquon Barkley. But when those guys, specifically Barkley on the ground, found the open lane, found the opportunity, he was able to really capitalize that and make the Packers really pay for their mistakes. That's what you have to avoid with Jonathan Taylor, because, yeah, three yards and a cloud of dust looks really good coming off of the performance against Houston, But if your linebackers aren't where they need to be, if your gaps aren't being filled that you're not in the alignment that you really need to be able to execute with unless you're gonna make some open field tackles. It makes your job difficult and a guy like Jonathan Taylor doesn't make that any easier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you look at the Packers' performance against the run last week, and specifically against Barkley, twenty four for one oh nine, that's a that's a big game for a running back. One of those runs was a thirty four yarder, right, and again they all count, you know, that's why the average is the average. But I think the other, the other part part of it is that thirty four yard run by Barkley came in the second half. It's one thing if you, you know, if you kind of slip up in the run defense early and a guy gets an explosive, aya are right, you settle down, you know, you work on bottling him up. When a guy busts a big one in the second half like that, it kind of starts to ruin everything you've done up to that point, right, And certainly on that final drive for the Eagles, they were they were having their way and controlling the ball, but speaking.
Speaker 1: Of the running game.
Speaker 2: When you look at Indianapolis's defense, this is a unit that gave up two hundred plus rushing yards to the Houston Texans, the bulk of those coming from Joe Mixon. And you know, it's not going to be as simple as, oh, okay, well, the Packers should be able to line up and run the ball against these guys, et cetera, et cetera. Because A, if the Colts have a bad game like that against the run, they're going to spend all week working on the corrections and working on getting it fixed. And then b, of course, with the Packers most likely turning things over to Malik Willis, the Colts game plan will be, you know, defensively will be based on defending Malik Willis and perhaps trying to say, okay, we're not going to let Josh Jacobs and Emmanuel Wilson do what they did against the Eagles and put the ball more in Malik Willis's hands. So, but the way the Packers ran the ball the last three quarters against the Eagles, the way the Colts did struggle to defend the run against the Texans, I think that is something to watch very very closely in this matchup on Sunday a lambo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because Joe Mixon being able to get one hundred and fifty nine rushing yards in his longest carry in that game was thirteen yards, just speaks to how you're right about the second half the Packers gave up that big gash to Berkley. It can be really demoralized though, on the other aspect of that, when a running back just continually in an offensive line man handles you the way that they did to be able to have that type of production, to average over five yards of carry and not have that explosive play, that is sort of booing all those statistics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a ground and pound type of performance by Joe Mixon. And we saw him do that in Cincinnati at times too, but he started this twenty twenty four season doing that for Houston, getting a big win over the Colt Yeah.
Speaker 3: And when you look at Indianapolis's defense and Matt le Fleur was given a ton of credit to Gus Bradley. Certainly, that tree, that quarterback excuse me, that defensive coordinator tree that sprouted from Seattle, the different types of alignments that they had before this Robert Sala defense kind of took things over in the league that the Seattle Seahawks were the bell of the ball and they were the team that was kind of putting all these guys out there. Gus Bradley became a head coach in this league because of that. This front is interesting in that you have DeForest Buckner who's been doing it at a high level for so long. He's a face of that defense. They put a lot of resources into acquiring him. You'd imagine the mindset in trying to turn that boat around this week is going to be again what probably guides not only their game planning but also their correction and to the Green Bay Packers standpoint, and it is probably veering a little bit too much into the keys to victory of it. But with Josh Jacobs, hopefully everything works out. I believe that was the back injury. That was a back issue that made up limited in practice on Wednesday. But with Josh Jacobs and the motions and the sweeps that the options you have with Jaden Reid, the Packers showed a lot of promising things on the ground against Philadelphia. All things considered, against Vic Fangio and that defense, you have to be able to continue to build upon that with potentially not having the downfield threat of Jordan Love or at least the consistent threat of Jordan Love in the backfield as far as the signal calling goes. So Josh Jacobs could be the Packer's best friend in this game. And if I'm Green Bay, I see what Mixon did last week. We have our own franchise back here too. If he's available and can take that full allotment of reps, that would be my number one counter to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you just wonder how much of the cold struggles against the run against Mixon against the Texans, how.
Speaker 1: Much of that was was.
Speaker 2: Ex execution and how much was potentially schematic because they were more worried about c. J. Stroud and and and those Houston receivers beating them downfield, and they gave up a little bit too much against the run. And you know how this can go in games, Wes, once something like that gets going. Yes, you try to make adjustments, but making adjustments can be is easier said than done, right. I mean, a team, a team gets, you know, Houston gets that running game going with Mixon and they feel like, Okay, we can really lean on this we can really pound away with this guy to set up everything else we want to do offensively, and it can be tough to stop. So were the Colts issues more execution, were they more schematic? Probably a combination of the two as usual. But again that's that's definitely something to watch. I do want to get to our keys to victory here. Oh, one other thing you mentioned, you mentioned to Forrest Buckner on this this Colts defensive line. I believe they had was it, four sacks against the Houston and Texans. Yeah, and those four sacks that didn't even include a handful of pressures by their rookie first round pick in that pass rush lie it to Latu from UCLA. I believe he played, you know, thirty some snaps and and according to uh some of the statistical metrics, was credited with five pressures. Yeah, like thirty snaps. Now he didn't get he didn't get any sacks, he didn't get anything else on the on.
Speaker 3: The bizarre, bizarre game. Five pressures, no stats though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, he had nothing in the he had nothing in the traditional statistics that go into the UH UH into the game book. But but five pressures and thirty snaps while his teammates were also racking up four sacks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a this is.
Speaker 2: A defensive front that U that can get some things done. So but yeah, let's get to some keys to victory here in a minute. But I'll take care of some sponsor business for a serious XM. NFL Radio delivers hard hitting analysis and up to the minute NFL news that true football Finatal need twenty four to seven, three sixty five and ed cousin Subbs. We have something for everyone, like our Wisconsin cheese curds, mac and cheese, golden fries, and creamy shakes, all paired with your favorite sub or sub in a bowl. Cousin Subbs fifty plus years of better. All right, looking at the Packers and the keys to victory, what's it going to take to pull this game out? Assuming that Malik Willis is the starting quarterback, Matt Laflair has not officially ruled out Jordan Love. He says the door remains open for him to potentially play at the time that we are taping this episode. We will see what happens by the time we get to the end of the week. But if it is Malik Willis, I think you know, it's stating the obvious right that it puts that much more of a burden on the Packers running game. On Josh Jacobs on Emmanuel Wilson, you mentioned the changeups the end to round stuff with Jaden Reed. The other changeup you potentially throw in here is designing some runs for Malik Willis, you know, which is not something you would do on a regular basis with Jordan Love, but it might be something that's a little bit more of a staple of the game plan with a quarterback lake Willis.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: I think getting and it's you know, I mentioned last week getting that running game going for the play action game and all of that. I think the I think it's not even so much just about the play action game in this matchup. It's about it's about getting the running game going and having that to really be able to lean on throughout the course of the game, the way the Houston Texans leaned on their running game against the Colts last week.
Speaker 3: So first and foremost, I do want to show respect to the Colts defensive front because, as you said, Buckner, I thought got off to a good start last week. Quity Pay is a guy that could have really disrupt a football game if you let him do that. Now, I think the Packers have to feel okay on that side of things because the guy he'd be lined up against Zach tom who is probably one of the top performing right tackles in the league. Last week, when you look at some of the metrics and some of the stats that have come out about that, I felt really good about Zach in how he showed out in Brazil. But I mean I've been even more impressed watching some of the film and Pro Football Focus and some of these other NFL next Gen stats talking about how he performed in one on one pass coverage. The guy's a hit like, he's solid, So you hope that you can go tit for tat with them in the pass game. The run game is where this game is going to be one though. If you go back to the stats last week, Mike, there were three players with double digit tackles for the Indianapolis Colts in that game. All three of them were defensive becks. If you are able to generate that much statistics against the defense, it shows you you're doing something well because it means you're beating the defensive front. It means you're beating the linebackers and you're forcing them to make tackles at the second and third level at the defense. That's where Green Bay needs to get to. And when they struggled early in that game against the Eagles, it was because they weren't able to get a hat on a hat with a lot of those backers and things were getting washed out in the front. Being able to build on some of the successes they had in the second half is going to be inner to this victory. The other aspect of it, I think is going to be the motion. It's going to be the pre snap stuff. It's going to be working end around, it's going to be building pass combinations off of those end of rounds. They probably could have gotten more of that in Brazil, But as I was talking about an insider inbox Calm, if you watch the game, there was a lot that they developed off of that early Jaden Reid play and there was a lot of pass concepts that were built off that. And Tucker Craft was mentioning this at is Locker this week and that you are going to have opportunities to get open in the passing game, but you got to earn those with what you do in the run game early, and that's what Green Bay is going to have to do in this game to come up with a victory against the Colts.
Speaker 2: Well, you mentioned Kraft. When you look at the one downfield reception he had that broke for a nice, big explosive play for the Packers. That's all set up not only by the run and being in the same formation and then running it as a play action pass, but Tucker Craft is coming off the line of scrimmage and selling that he's blocking the linebacker right, He's got his head down, he's put you know, he's about to put his arms up like he's gonna block, and then like, oh, here I go, you know, bang, and then the ball is on him. He makes the catch, and that's all set up because of what you're doing running the ball, and all of those little things play into getting the execution there on the defensive side of the ball. Just looking at what the Colts did in Week one against the Texans, and certainly with you know mentioning Saquon Barkley busting a thirty four yard run against the Packers, AJ Brown with the sixty seven yard touchdown on the opening possession of the second half. Packers defense has got to limit the big plays. You can't let Anthony Richardson throw the ball over top of you in this game. And and I think, I think defensively. I think defensively, if the Packers limit those big plays and they give themselves more chances to get off the field, they won't get into, you know this, this real negative time of possession area that they got into against the Eagles.
Speaker 1: Over the long run, you have.
Speaker 3: To make Anthony Richardson pay for the incompletions. I'm not saying you have to pick off every ball, but he was nine to nineteen in that game with an interception. If he's allowed to get into a rhythm in a lot of ways. It is what exactly what happened with Jalen Hurts last week where he got off to a rough start. Second pass of the game got intercepted by Xavier McKinney. Packers are rolling. He got to be able to not allow him to get into that type of pattern. Now, Hurtz is a different type of quarterback and that he is more of a possession based quarterback. He could throw the ball and not that Richardson can't. But Richardson, this was sort of his mo last year too. He's a guy that you know potentially is going to be like a fifty four to fifty five percent completion percentage quarterback. It's just the way he plays the position. It's a lot of the downfield stuff. He's going to try limit the explosive plays. It starts with stopping the run, but limiting the downfield explosives. You cannot let them beat you that way. And I would take notice of what Alec Pierce did. Man. I mean, this guy had a lot of buzz coming out of Cincinnati a couple of years ago. People were very excited about him. A guy that rose throughout the draft process ends up going in the second round to the Colts. And if you think about dynamic play from quarterbacks like Richardson in the National Football League, it's what they're able to do with their receivers across the middle. Pierce having that type of that background, that is going to be something Green Bay has to be leary of, whether that's gonna be on Keishaw Nixon or you know, Jabon Bullard. The Packers making sure that they don't hurt you in the same way that Houston got hurt in that matchup.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's all that attention on Michael Pittman, and rightly so he gets the big contract and all that, you know, now becoming a big money, highly paid receiver. But who are the guys that made the big plays for Richards in a Week one? It was Pearson Doolin, you know, the essentially the number two, number three guys. However you want to however you want to order them. The other thing I'll say, when I look at this game, and obviously you know a lot of a lot of what we talk about here, you're trying to fix. You're trying to change things from what happened in Week one. The Packers weren't a good team in Week one in the sub and change instances because you know, early in the game, you know, the Packers get the two turnovers, they're in, they're in the red zone. They aren't able to capitalize those. They end up settling for field goals on the flip side. The one time the Packers turned the ball over, the Green Bay defense didn't respond, and when the Eagles had a short field twenty twenty five yards whatever it was, four or five plays they were in the end zones, had a touchdown, and you know so again when you when you win the turnover battle three to one and be a plus two, but the points off takeaways is just nine to seven, also plus two, that's not going to get it done. And that that's where being a better team in the sudden change, both when the sudden changes are positive for you or the sudden change is a negative for you, you have to be able to respond better in those situations. And I thought, I thought those situations alone played a huge factor in how the Week one game against Philly turned out for the Packer.
Speaker 3: That was a football game. I mean, it's that same, It really was. There was a lot of things that the Packers and Eagles kind of erased one another on in terms of both the explosive plays and also the regrettable ones. It isn't also like a game like where the Packers had so many more penalties than the Eagles. Dead sure, certainly they ended up winning that side of it. They had more of them, but it wasn't like astronomical. Everything was relatively even. The total offense in this game was within four yards of each other, with green Bay coming out on the better half of it. It came down, as you said, the sudden change, the adversity defense offense taking advantage of that punching things in. That's where you have to make sure that you are able to respond the right way. And I think that's also why Xavier McKinney had kind of the message that he did after the game and kind of reiterated this week at his locker as well, and that there's still a lot of confidence the Packers defense needs to still remember who it is and still carry itself with that swagger. As I even wrote in the off season program, everybody's got a plan, the Mike Tyson thing. Everybody's got a plan until you get punched in them out. Packers took a couple on the chin in Brazil. It's can you not allow that to a affect you and take this next matchup for what it is and having that short memory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, it's a big It's a big week, a big moment for a for a bounce back performance from Green Bay's defense, especially considering what's going on on the offensive side with Jordan Love most likely missing this game. So before we go, Wes, we'll take a look around at some of the other Week two matchups. Thursday Night Football, Nothing like a big division matchup right away in Week two Buffalo against Miami, both of these teams pulling off come from behind victories in Week one, Buffalo traveling down to Miami. This is you know, quite honestly, this is kind of a fun one. Josh Allen against Tuataga Bai Looa in Week two on Thursday night football. It should be pretty entertaining.
Speaker 3: I mean, honestly, It's been one of the most fun, if not the most fun division in football the last couple of years, just based on everything that's happened. Certainly you don't have Tom Brady in there anymore, but just seeing how all these other teams have had these different storylines has helped it. Miami is just they're not the greatest show on turf. I don't want to start that whole thing, but I mean, just how exciting that the brand of football they play, it's it's it lends itself to prime Bacon matchups.
Speaker 2: Miami strikes me as this team and we'll see the Packers are going to play them obviously Thanksgiving night at Lambeufield. It's going to be it's gonna be coming up with that receiving corps. You know, Essentially the guys at the top of that receiving core, Tyreek Hill and Jalen Waddle and a quarterback like Toua. Miami just feels like a team that can play this rope adope game where you can you can bottle them up, you can hold them down, you can think you've got control of things, and the next thing you know, Tyreek Hill is catching a pass and running eighty yards for a touchdown and completely changing a game. I felt like the Jacksonville Jaguars felt pretty good about where they were in that game, and then all of a sudden, Tua and Tyreek land a haymaker, and then things had had suddenly shifted and the Dolphins had the ability to do that against anybody on the other side. The Bills, you know, kind of a new receiving corps. They're trying to figure some things out. On offense. They still have Josh Allen obviously, but a lot of transition going on in Buffalo, and they fell behind early to Arizona and then just came roaring back.
Speaker 3: More than any of the year, I think this really is going to be on Josh Allen's plate. I mean, they've had some pretty big changes especially on the defensive side of the ball in Buffalo, and Josh Allen is the constant, that's the guy that they've been trying to make this jump, trying to make this leap, and in some ways it kind of felt like this year is a little bit of a reset for the Bills, trying to see if they can kind of regal, regather the troops to make a run here. But that's certainly going up into Miami is going to be a huge matchup right off the bat.
Speaker 1: For them on Sunday.
Speaker 3: Four.
Speaker 2: Very interesting here four matchups on Sunday that pit NFC versus NFC and where both teams are one to zer heading into week two, And I'll just rattle them off here for you and I'll let you comment on what you feel is Worthwhile New Orleans is at Dallas, Tampa Bay is at Detroit, San Francisco is at Minnesota, and Chicago is at Houston. Four matchups NFC versus NFC, all those teams are want to know, it's kind of interesting the way the way that all felt it did.
Speaker 3: And Tampa Detroit is probably my game of the week because one of those teams, assuming there isn't a tie one of those teams going to two and oh is gonna be really big for their season, because when you look at the Buccaneers, there was a lot of people out there, like, hey, Kirk Cousins is in Atlanta Falcons. They put a lot of resources in, they signed a lot of veterans that they're trying to make something happen this year. Whereas Tampa Bay, it's like, Okay, they're sticking with Baker, what can they do with them? And now they come out the gate looking great. Breaker Mayfield looked exceptional last week. I mean watching Mayfield play the way that he did in that game in contrast to everything that was happening in Cleveland. And again, one situation is not like the other, but just seeing how he's remade himself, going from a guy that was a plug and play starter with the Rams a couple of years ago to a dude that now led you know, Buccaneers of the playoffs and appears to be the the next guy in Tampa after the transition from Tom Brady. Now he's going to be going up against a challenging Detroit defense and on the other side of it, the Lions had to outlast you know that opener is seeing exactly what they have going up against Tampa Bay. I think that's a huge litmus test for both those teams. And then one of them gets to t and oh, I mean you talk about trying to prove what they did last year is no fluke. Well, they're off to a good start.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Tampa Bay going back to Detroit just eight months after they were there for a playoff game. That's a that's an NFC playoff rematching that one. San Francisco at Minnesota. It's easy to forget because of how everything kind of spiraled downhill for the Vikings last year after the Kirk Cousins injury. But the Minnesota Vikings beat the San Francisco forty nine Ers at us Bank Stadium in the early stages of last season, So you know, the forty nine ers certainly remember.
Speaker 1: That, and all dartarly curious.
Speaker 3: Sam Darnold's starting against thety that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's another interesting having been with the Niners last year as a backup.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, he was one of the reasons why they're Niners were kind of able to keep this thing going. Well brock Party was out, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, credit to him.
Speaker 2: I'll be interested to see what the Bears now, you know, Caleb Williams going from Game one to Game two. Tough matchup for them going down to Houston. You know a lot of excitement about the Houston Texans with Stroud and that team, and they're coming off of a Week one division victory and they were, you know, the surprise team to make the playoffs in the AFC last year. So that'll be another fun one. I'll want to oh versus one and Oh. But the one that is squarely on our radar is two teams that are trying to avoid going to zero to two in the Colts and the Packers, And that will be a Sunday noon kickoff. You're ready for some noon football, Ready.
Speaker 3: For some noon football Lambeou Field. You know, a couple guys were asked about that's the traditional TV questions that get asked about. Hey, you can tell. I mean, yeah, they got the one preseason game at Lambeau, but they've been on the road quite a bit and now being able to actually get this feeling, get this start. Unfortunately, looks like it potentially won't be Jordan Love running out of the tunnel first for the Packers. But still I just think any Sunday at Lambellfield, especially when you get those new kickoffs, you get the smell of brats in the air, you can't beat it in Green Day Wisconsin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it should be a good day.
Speaker 2: Well, with that, we'll call it a wrap on this edition of Packers Unscripted and be sure to follow all of our coverage of the team and everything with regard to Sunday as home opener at Lambelefield. We'll have it all for you on Packers dot com for Wesi and Mike. Thank you for tuning in everybody. We will see you next time.