Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Joining us now live from Capitol Hill is Republican Senator John Kennedy of Louisiana. He's a member of the Senate Banking Committee as well as the Budget and Judiciary Committee. Senator, Welcome to Bloomberg TV and Radio. It's great to have you on balance of power, especially on a FED day, of all days. If the FED didn't hike today, are you concerned that they might have to do so just ahead of the midterms.
Speaker 3: Well, they might. I guess I'd make two points. Number one a shot blue shide of the big picture. I wouldn't trade the American economy right now for any economy in the world, not China, not Germany, not anybody in Europe, not Canada.
Speaker 1: Number two.
Speaker 3: I think the FED didn't hike because they don't know what to do now. They're not gonna come out in front of the American people and Shay, we don't know what the hell to do. But they're a clairvoyant. They have to wait for the future like everybody else.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: The FED under Chairman Powell cut rates because they were worried about the labor market.
Speaker 1: Labor market's okay, it's.
Speaker 3: Not great, but we had we're not adding a ton of new jobs, but nobody's being laid out relatively laid off relatively speaking. But we've got inflation and it's caused about three things, and no particular Uh. Number one, all this AI spending. They're spending billions of dollars. I hope those guys know what they're doing, because they got to pay the money back. Number two to unless their extent tariffs. When when imports cost more, that contributes to inflation. But number three, the energy costs. I mean, you don't you know, you don't have to be on Stein's cousin to to figure that out. And so they want to just watch it and wait a little bit more. And that's what I would have done, just wait and see it and get a little bit more data. But let me say this, look, inflation is pernicious. You cannot let it get out of control. And I know the Fed supposedly has a dual role inflation, price stability, and full employment, but its main role is inflation. And they're going to have to if we don't get control of it, they're going to have to raise rates. Now I'm not saying that's going to make me happy, but they can't let this inflation get out of control.
Speaker 4: A lot of folks thought he would hike that the FED would hike rates. Today, I can't imagine what the market would have done in that world. Senator, what do you make of the performance today? Could he have communicated things differently? Because this market reaction is viscerally You've got a thirty year at five point two percent. I'm kind of scared to think of what's going to happen tomorrow morning.
Speaker 3: Well, let me say it again, the people at the FED are not clairvoyant. They have to wait on the future like the rest of us.
Speaker 1: Number two.
Speaker 3: I don't want to overstate this, but sometimes the economists that at the FED remind me of those late night psychic hotlines.
Speaker 1: Since you see on TV. I mean, they're about as accurate because they just don't know.
Speaker 3: But the Chairman can't come out today and say, hem if I know, you know, we know inflation is a problem, but we're not sure it's going to come down because we're not sure about what's going to happen in Iran.
Speaker 1: But that's the truth. That's what's going on.
Speaker 2: Well, on the subject of Iran, Senator, as I'm sure you well know, President Trump is threatening to retaliate against Iran after what the US described as a surprise attempted attack on US assets in Jordan. If we're responding to Iranian attacks, as Sentcom said was the case in the previous twelve days of strikes, we're just coming off of, is the US really in control in this theater.
Speaker 3: Very supportive of what President Trump has done in Iran. I think it was something we had to do. That's point one. Point two. There are limits to American air power. I don't have the intelligence that the President has, so I don't know about the additional strikes. But I think the two most effective things we can do right now.
Speaker 1: To get road to.
Speaker 3: Control to behave is number one, the sanctions on a sale of oil and number two that blockade. I think we're just going to have to starve them out now. That's going to be painful because energy prices could go even higher, and nobody wants that. I don't want that, but we we can't. Our credibilities at stake, and Iran is dangerous and we have to do something about it. I don't support putting true on the ground, and I'm not convinced. But again, I don't have the information that all these extra strikes are doing any good. But I know one thing at Blockade. If you leave it on long enough, Iron's going to have to start shutting down its wells because it's got no place to put its oil. And once Iran shuts down those old, old wells, they may not be able to get them going again. And I would if we can stay of the course a few more months, I think Iron will be easier, not easy, but easier to deal with. But you also have to remember that you're dealing with the son of Sam or Charles Mansk. These people are not just modeling insane.
Speaker 4: Well, that's why you have the chorus of call them iron hawks, who say that let's not play around at the negotiating table. We need to finish the job militarily. Senator, I know you're paying a little less than the national average in Louisiana said three sixty eight according to Triple A. But if there's a few more months of this, that puts a smack dab right around election day, Right, what does that mean for the midterms?
Speaker 1: Well, it'll be painful as hell.
Speaker 3: But number two, you can't you can't always look I'm mindful. This place is political as hell. Politics is in the blood of everybody here, kind of like herpes. Not me.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think sometimes.
Speaker 3: You've got to you gotta you've got to try to.
Speaker 1: Do the right thing.
Speaker 3: And I wish the President and his team could do a little better job of messaging about why we're in Iran and why we're staying the course. But he's the president and I'm not well.
Speaker 2: The President, of course, wants people around him that are of his selection when it comes to his cabinet, and he has told you and your colleagues on the Ishara Commedian Committee in the United States Senate that he would like Todd blanche to go from acting to the Attorney General of the United States. To your knowledge, Senator, will you be voting on his confirmation in the committee tomorrow? What is the status?
Speaker 3: Well, if I'm cold to vote, I'm going to vote yes, and I'll be glad to explain why if you care to hear it.
Speaker 1: Do you expect too, I don't know if we're going to have a vote.
Speaker 3: John Cornyn has requested the paperwork to resolve this issue of the Anti Weaponization Fund. John's a good senator.
Speaker 1: I know him well.
Speaker 3: He's he's a he's serious as an aneurysm about this.
Speaker 1: He's not going to back down.
Speaker 3: And if I were mister Blanche, I would give Corning what he wants. If he doesn't, he's not going to be confirmed. I'm not saying I agree with Senator Cornyn, but I know Senator Cornyn and he's not backing down. So that's where we all are. If I had to bet, i'd say we're not voting.
Speaker 4: Wow, well, this is quite a moment we're in, senator, And I understand that when you're not in Washington, you're a substitute teacher at McKinley Magnet Middle School teaching government and civics to public school students. Talk to us like your class for a moment.
Speaker 1: Well is this going?
Speaker 3: Well, Senator, I've been doing this for fifteen years, and I substitute teach. I try to do it three times a year. We need substitutes badly. They'll even take politicians. You ought to try. You ought to do it, and it'd be a real substante.
Speaker 4: What's our civics lesson?
Speaker 1: Professor?
Speaker 4: How is the system working right now?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: Every school's different, if you're lucky. No, I mean Washington.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, I mean Washington.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not going to tell the kids this, but right now, as we're talking off the air, this place is a total cock up. As they say in England, it looks like the happy hour at an airport Chili's. There is no plan right now. I say that gently, but there is no plan. President wants one thing, a majority leader, who I support, wants another. Only the majority leader can put a bill on the floor. If it were up to me, I do it differently. I would put I mean, there's this mantra of we've got to work it out with the Democrats and we've all got to be happy. Look that's where that's where God made votes. You're not gonna make everybody happy. And I'd vote on the budget resolution. I'd call a vote on the Ron sanctions bill the final vote. I'd vote on a clean Sea R. If Senator Schumer wants to shut government down, he can vote no on a clean Sea R. I would vote Lafaiza renewal, I would have. I'd vote on all of our pending business. And I'm prepare to stay as long as we have to, if that means missing.
Speaker 1: The August break, so be it. We all to get our work done.
Speaker 3: But for six months I've been in meeting after meeting after meeting. That could have been an email to discuss these bills and who's happy and who's sad? What are my Democratic friends going to do? At some point, you got to vote, and we're not doing nearly enough voting and way too much talking. Well, in Louisiana, we'd say we're doing a lot of a lot of chopping, but no chips are flying.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll tell you what, I'd love to meet you in that classroom someday. I want to hear what you're saying to the students. And I'm sure you'd love to get back to Katahula as soon as.
Speaker 3: These kids are great. These kids are great. We learned something every time I do it.
Speaker 1: Well, we're glad to have you, Senator.
Speaker 4: We've been looking forward to this for longer than you know, and I hope this won't be the last opportunity were again. I'm Kennedy of Louisiana. Thank you for being with us on Blueberg TV and radio. It's great pleasure.