Speaker 1: You know what I did yesterday, Jesse, in the span of twelve hours. In the span of eight hours, I appeared publicly with Mac Brown college football legend, college football Hall of Fame, or a saint of an individual former national champion. And I appeared with Brandon Walker. The extremes of the human condition never more pronounced than my life what I experienced yesterday. And I'm going to talk about the latter of which a lot later in the show where jampacked. We're high a top of glowing downtown Nashville, Tennessee. Beautiful sunset underway outside. And look the reason I got to push all that stuff TI later in the show, is it's college football playoff prediction time. It's conference championship prediction time. Last year, I was looking at the calendar. We waited too long. Frankly, I think I got influenced by some things that I heard in August, and that doesn't matter, and so I want to get it out of the way early, and we're gonna do it tonight. We're gonna do it to lead the show off. Also, the rankings came out today from the coaches, and the coaches are telling you some things without telling you some things, or either their sids who filled the ballot out in their place, or telling you some things. There is one of the more egregious teams placed in the top twenty five that I ever remember in the modern era, and we all know how far that goes back. I've got a ton of fall camp stuff, not like practice intel yet, cause most camps are just opening up or haven't opened up yet. But I got my eye on a lot of things. We're finally about to put pads on and you start figuring out some of this depth chart stuff. All that, plus I will give my own personal recount of my appearance last night, my debut appearance, my hosting duties, basically on the maiden voyage of the Brandon Walker College Football Show, the second edition. The first failed, and so this is the second edition of the Brandon Walker College Football Show. They're watching us in Lakeland, Florida. They're watching us in Danville, California, Saint Paul, Minnesota, Porter Texas. Look, we're way over halfway to a million subscribers. Now. I don't know what's gonna happen the day we get there, but we got a little ways to go, and I just want to crank up the community service early. We do a lot of community service on our end. The only service we ask for in return for this free college football show, which we do multiple times per week, is please subscribe to the channel and then humbly but forcefully, steal the phone of five of your friends and family and close relatives and have them do the same thing with that. We are off. This is a really important show because it's time to pick some winners. It's time to make some predictions. It's time to nail myself down. And it's August fourth, and you know what that means, Jesse. I don't like predictions, frankly, because they set me up for failure. Think DJ Lagway, number one quarterback in SEC circa twenty twenty five. This never works out well for me. I went oh in five maybe and six picking it's Indiana last year. So take this with an entire factory of salt. And so what I'm thinking about doing is, you know a little strategy called hedging. It is early August, and I am gonna make predictions tonight, and I'm not writing them in pencil. I'm writing them in dark pencil, but still irasable because if I hear some stuff in fall camp. I want to be able to er right before the season starts. So I'm gonna give you my conference winners. I'm gonna give you my playoff predictions. I'm gonna give you my national champion right here in front of God and Bradley and everyone. But I just want to leave myself a small crack in the exit door over here. With that in mine, Let's talk conferences first, and in no particular order. The ACC won the draft, and so the ACC is gonna go first tonight. Look, there's no reason to break these games down because number one, they may not happen, but number two, even if they do, they're like four months five months away. But congratulations to Mario Cristoball in Miami. They're gonna finally do something that many said would happen a lot, but in actuality has never had happened, and that is Miami winning the ACC. Now, to quickly remind you the odds over a FanDuel. Right now, Miami is the overwhelming favorite to win the league. What's very interesting is who's theoretically number two in this conference. Well, the answer is two teams. SMU and Louisville had the exact same odds to win the ACC. Right now, I slightly, ever so slightly lean SMU to face Miami in the ACC title game, which probably means Jesse, probably not definitely means that SMU, who knows when on the road and beat Louisville. They do play early in the season while the rest of the Free world has their eyes focused on Oxford, Mississippi. You know, SMU and Louisville play that week two. I think on a Saturday, Jesse, we want to check that. Anyway, gimme Miami versus SMU and the ACC Championship game and gimme Miami over SMU. More on what that means from Miami and SMU in just a second. Next up the Big twelve, the Monster Energy Big Twelve drafted second, and I think we're going to have a rematch from what we had last year, at least in terms of the matchup itself. Texas Tech, even without Brendan Sowsby, is still the pretty overwhelming favorite to win this league. Then it's a little drop off in Brigham Young, then it's a little drop off further and Utah. And there was a rumor that went around not just the Big twelve. But the whole country last year that I was anti Brigham Young. Some people made harsher accusations than that. Some people went down roads that were not comfortable going down on this show, on this campus, at this university. Anyway, I heard all of it. And I also watched American Primeval, which is it's a tough watch, but I think a necessary watch because it put the fear of God and me at least when it comes to Brigham Young. A dude ran a different way back then, and so I think maybe I want to lean Brigham Young slightly right now to win this league over Texas Tech. Joey McGuire enjoys this. He'll enjoy it more than any Brigham Young fan enjoys this. So I'm doing favors for everyone here. But I think that when you go through what they went through last year, which is they lost to one team twice. I was on hand the first time when they played in Lubbock, and then they got another shot against them in Texas Tech was just a better team. And then you go home to Provo for the entire offseason and you just think about it, and you got all your players back, and then here comes Jesse's private jet from Penn State in and they're like, Kalani Staki, we want to hire you, and he says no, and Jesse has to go home empty handed only to cash in with Matt Campbell. So all's well that ends well there, and it's just you got another shot. That group of guys has another shot. I like Brigham Young and so I'm gonna slightly lean them right now to win the Big twelve. Next up, the Southeastern Conference still gonna field sixteen teams this year, and they're gonna give it the good old college tribe right now. The odds in this league league Georgia the favorite, Texas behind them. Actually that know, Alabama had moved up to third. Jesse, is that new is is that odds movement? Okay, well it's Bama third, LSU fourth, LSU and ole Miss are tied. LSU, ol Miss and OU tied for fourth. Okay, Well again, I'm going to talk about this more later when we talk about the rankings in the show. But how do I think this conference is going to work itself out? Well? In early August, before we've really got an intel anywhere, why overthink the room. This is Georgia's league. This has been Georgia's league, and even though Texas has had multiple shots at him, it's remained Georgia's league. And every single time there's this giant dust cloud during the week, folks hyping themselves up. I've fallen victim to this at least once or twice. I've picked Texas over Georgia, not three times, though, and it's always Georgia. So why overthink the room? Give me Georgia against Texas, and give me Georgia over Texas. And you know what, if I hear some hot rumor, if I think Rashem bay Else is going to single handedly up in this entire dynamic, If I think Cam Coleman is going to up in this entire dynamic, Hollywood Smother's about to run for fifteen hundred, including one forty eight and three scores against Georgia and up in this dynamic, I'll change my pick. But I don't know that yet, nor do you. So let's just yield the floor to Kirby Smart until we have reason to think otherwise. And then in the Big Ten, or as they're calling it, America's new College Football Conference patent pending, Ohio State's the favorite to win this league. Oregon's a hot team, Jesse. You see how many people are picking Oregan to win this thing, and then Indiana just hohm. Coaches don't even have them top five. It's just say good for you, guys, but it's it's you peaked last year. Great story, but now order is restored. Okay, USC's fourth, Michigan fifth, Penn State sixth. And there's a big drop off by the way after the top three that fits right in line with perception. We'll see what reality is. So here's where my head's at right now. I think Ohio State's going to be really good, so does everyone else. I think Indiana is going to be really good, and so does most everyone else. I think we're gonna have a logjam here of one lost teams. That's kind of how I would envision the Big ten playing out right now. And I think it'd be those three teams at the top there and the way that I think the tiebreakers would work, and who I think it would send to Indianapolis right now is Ohio State in Indiana, which is a rematch of last year. Give me a different winner in that one. This is tentative, so This does not count as me picking against Indiana. Also, if I send you to the conference title game, am I really picking against you? I don't think so, but reasonable minds can disagree there. Ohio State over Indiana as of early August is where I'm leaning in the Big ten. So our recap in the conference picture, our recap is Notre Dame was the best independent. I shouldn't know ute that. Congrats to the Irish. Miami wins the ACC, Brigham Young wins the Big twelve, Ohio State wins the Big Ten, Georgia wins the SEC. There's no big shot there. That's three favorites, and then Brigham Young's the number two on the odds board in the Big twelve courtesy of fan duel. Now gets a little fun, and it also gets a little interesting, and frankly gets a little tricky as we try and figure out how this seeding would look. So, as you may have heard, Notre Dame's not in a conference, so you have zero context clues as to how good they were by looking at that lineup. But I'll tell you how good they were. They went undefeated, So they're number one overall in the playoff rankings. I would think Ohio State would have to be number two as a result of them being the best team in the best conference. I would say Miami third and I put Georgia fourth. And the reason Georgia would be fourth here is I'm I'm just not sure even the SEC champion is making it through the SEC unscathed, maybe even two losses. But I'm thinking there's a greater likelihood that Georgia emerges kind of like they did last year, kind of beat up conference champ. But Miami if their only loss is on the road at Notre Dame and Notre Dame's your number one team, I just think that resume may be good enough. Where Miami just won a conference title, they look good in the process, I think they may lock down the number three spots. So Notre Dame, Ohio State, Miami, Georgia is your one through four. This is where I got to figure it out. So Indiana, if they lose the Big Ten championship game, they're not dropping far. And I think maybe they only drop behind Georgia as a result of Georgia being a conference champ. So I've got Indiana five, I've got Texas six, So I think it's kind of a similar vibe to last year, where your teams that were participants in the Big Ten and the SEC championship games they don't drop much, if at all. And then we got to figure out what the committee does with Big Twelve champion Brigham Young, and I also had to figure out if we could have two Big twelve teams. Now, I played with this scenario for a second. I thought to myself self, what if Texas Tech goes undefeated regular season? What if Brigham Young's only loss is at home to Notre Dame and they go to the Big Twelve title game and Brigham Young wins. At that point, do I think Texas Tech is gonna go from being an undefeated top five team to all the way out of the rankings. I don't think they would. So to be very clear, if that's like one loss Brigham Young against undefeated Texas Tech and Brigham Young wins it, I think you got two Big twelve teams in the playoff. I think maybe there's one more blemish for Texas Tech. Therefore, I think Brigham Young is your seven seed. I guess the better way to put that is the Big Twelve chance is your seven seed, and in this case, it's Brigham Young and I think Texas Tech dropped out, which is kind of a wild scenario, But in this scenario, that's how it worked out. Give me Oregon at eight, Oklahoma at nine, LSU at ten, USC at eleven. Certain staff members are shaking their head. You want to doubt Lincoln Riley good, you've been very successful over the last half deck Gabe, that's about to come to an abrupt halt. Put that eleven seed in your pipe and smoke it. Jesse not in the building though. And then twelfth is Boise State. Look, we threw army and navy around. Who else did we throw it? We threw UTSA, we threw unlv I tossed New Mexico in. There was some Billy Napier smoke at JMU for a little while. Still is fire's not out in there for the time being. Let's put let's put Boise State in the G five seed there the obligatory G six excuse me, G six twelve seed. I don't think if you're listening on podcasts and you're a visual learner, I don't quite think you understand what just happened here. Because it's time to look at the bracket, and I don't quite think people understand what it means. If, for example, Brigham Young is the seventh seed and LSU is the ten seed, I'll tell you what it means. It means LSU playing a playoff game in Provo, Utah in December. It means the greatest clash of cultures in the history of this country. I'm talking about revolutionary war up to and including everything that's ever happened in the history of this country. If people from Thibodaux, Louisiana storm Provo, Utah, We've never seen anything like it. That is irresistible force, that is immovable object, greater than any WrestleMania ever gave us. And that's not even to determine the outcome of the game. That's just who survives and kind of makes it to the game, so to speak. So we've got LSU Brigham Young playing in round one. This would give us USC at Texas in round one. I've got Oklahoma going on the road to Oregon and then Indiana as a result of being the five seed, which again in this brief history of the twelve team playoff era, that's been the spot you want to be in. They draw Boise. So how would this shake out? Firstly, up in Eugene, this is Dan Lanning's shot. Okay, Dan Lanning, I think he just had a really good year. He's the eight seed, Okay, So he's in the playoff and they've been bounced emphatically two years in a row. They've got to win that game. I think they do. So I think Oregon over Oklahoma is how i'd pick it right now. Again, I've got entire of August, or the entirety of August changed my mind. Indiana would route Boise. LSU goes into Brigham Young and I think they leave a part of their soul there. But I think they win the game because they just be better. You also got to understand, and more on my thinking here in a second. If LSU's made the playoff, that means Laying got that group of players to come together, and that means they gelled, they coalesced, and they're probably clicking pretty good by this point. USC at Texas in round one's awesome. It's a uniform game. It's Lincoln Riley coming home. Although Lincoln Riley's a West Texas guys, I don't think he would call Austin home and I don't think they would welcome him home. And I don't think it matters because they're gonna lose to Texas. So give me Texas over USC. But Lincoln Riley made the playoff, Jesse, so y'all can shut up, no hot seat, Lincoln Riley made the playoff. That's what we needed from him. Playoff or bust. Well, playoff, so no bust again. If you're listening on podcast, there are some of us out here who fought against playoff expansion. I'm one of them. I also freely admit to you I think the sport of college football has grown into twelve teams being perfect because the top of the sport got flatten like play dough. And so as a result, look at the second round of this playoff. These are your matchups. If you're listening somewhere driving around in Waterloo, Iowa, this would be Oregon going to Notre Dame. This would be Georgia going to Indiana. LSU goes to Ohio State, Miami goes to Texas. Oh no, they don't, do they No, I'm messing with you, No they don't. That's the way it should be. We should have two rounds of playoff games on CAMPI plural of campus, but we don't, so we still get awesome matchups. They're just going to be in sterile NFL stadiums because that's how we do the playoff right now. But nevertheless, Oregon, Notre Dame, Georgia, Indiana, LSU, Ohio State in Miami, Texas. I guess if you could hand pick the lineups, maybe you could make some tweaks here and there and improve it, but you can't improve that by much. Like that's an insane second round there. So I'll take Notre Dame over Oregon. That's my one seed, and they're sitting there rested, they're ready to go. They've got last year still fresh on their mind. And what that would mean for Oregon, we can figure that out. That's well down the road. I think I'd go Indiana over Georgia. What I'm thinking there is if Indiana is in the playoff, they had the first round game and then they get Georgia and this spot historically is not being good. Indiana is the only team that's figured out how to play rested in the playoffs. Georgia has suffered twice in two years in this role. So I think they make it a third year, because in this scenario, that means Josh Hoover ended up being really good, and that means I've got Indiana maybe the best coaching staff in the country, if not one of the top two, top three in the country. Georgia staff not bad either, But if Indiana is humming by that point, you probably have an edgicate quarterback. I would guess, Okay, LSU and Ohio State. I'd lean Ohio State. And that's just an organization thing. That's just They've got a bunch of folks who have been there, done that, and are trying to do it again. That's Julian saying second time around. I just think I'd lean them at the moment. And Miami in Texas, that's that's really really tough. But I'm gonna lean Texas ever so slightly. Right now, I'm gonna lean Texas. That's a fifty one to forty nine coin flip virtually in my mind. Right now, your final four is Notre Dame Indiana on one side of the bracket, Ohio State, Texas on the other side of the bracket. What a time for the State of Indiana. Just what a moment. This is the biggest occurrence since the birth of Larry Bird. I would say, in this state of Indiana, I think Notre Dame wins this game right now in August. And on the other side, I think I would very so slightly lean Texas. I think that combination of players plus them getting on a role in the postseason at its best is a really, really tough out and Notre Dame Texas is an unbelievable national championship game. Coin up in the air it lands Notre Dame. Notre Name won the national championship in August. Would that schedule Jesse not battle tested at all? Imagine a team with that kind of schedule winning it all. It's almost like the schedule didn't matter once the playoffs started. So, and I want to emphasize in early August, that is how I see this entire picture playing out. Now here's the nightmare scenario. The nightmare scenario is, this is a perfect bracket and I mess it up in late August because I see something going to some practices, I read some things on some message boards, I get influenced by corrupt members of the staff, and all of a sudden, I got Penn State with a first round by somehow having won the Big ten. I'm trying to guard against it. It's what I'm saying. But none of us are perfect. None of us are perfect, and even when we are, kids, coaches and officials can screw it up for you famously, That's happened to me a lot. If people don't know that, I picked one hundred percent winners last year in games that kids, coaches and officials did not screw up. So prayers up for us. All, all right, let's move on. Coaches pole drop today. I don't know if you heard this. Let me make sure this screen is right there we go, So the coaches pole drop today, Top twenty five. Some of it makes sense. Some of it is so bad. I thought that we were looking at typos. I thought it was I thought we were getting punked dead serious. Now not in the top five. But there is a team in the top twenty five that defies all conventional wisdom, and I can only think it's wizardry at work. I'll talk to you about it in a second. So your top five, Ohio State's number one. That's pretty supreme. Respect the top five. For the record, I couldn't see I don't think anyone's going to rank Georgia number one. I could see someone ranking any of the other top six number one, so Ohio State, Oregon, Georgia, Texas. Notre Dame is the top five, Indiana with six, Notre Dame at five. I'm not going to argue a coach's poll in August. I would just humbly love to know what's the explanation there, because I think Notre Dame belongs higher than five. So what's the explanation? Best I can tell? I think some coaches held it against them that they opted out of the bowl game. I think there's some of that residual, and that's fair, that's the way you feel. I think some other coaches look and say, I don't like their schedule. Translation, I wish I had that schedule, and I think they just took it out on him, knowing it won't matter anyway. And so it's the best I can tell. That's why Notre Dame's ranked number five, Indiana's number six. I lived this life last year, so you don't have to. Don't do this to him. Don't let Kurt Signetti get you in his crosshairs. He will ruin you. I was showing Jesse a film, a Johnny Depp film earlier today called Secret Window. Good movie. Jesse doesn't believe in movies, and so he hasn't seen it. Read the book, Jesse, and there's a crazy guy who, as it turns out's not real spoiler alert, twenty five year old movie. And he looks at Johnny Depp at some point and he says, I will burn your life and everyone in it like a cane field and a high wind. The reason I remember the line is that's essentially what Kurt Signetti told me last year every time I picked against him, and you people hashtag you people have the audacity to put this man sixth when the teams that he went three and oh against last year are ranked one to two. Have we learned nothing? No, not we I learned. I won't have them outside the top five, but the coaches do, and you guys actually have to face him. That's the crazy part. I just get to sit here. Miami's at seven. Fair Does that conclude Tier one? This is a growing point of debate in the college football ethosphere. Right now, Are there seven teams and then the end of Tier one? Or could you make the argument for like an a and M, or An Oklahoma or Old Miss. My Tier one stops at seven. That I don't know that there's a massive drop off. It's not like a touchdown differential on a neutral field. JP Pole coming soon. But the coaches have A and M at eight, Oklahoma nine, Ole, Miss at ten, Bama eleven. So you know in any rankings in the preseason, there's gonna be this kind of glob of Tier two SEC teams, those conditional teams. And I think they kind of got it right here. In fact, LSU's thirteenth. I'm gonna skip over Texas Tech for a second. I'll come back to him, A and M, Oklahoma, Ole, Miss, Bama, LSU. That means seven of the top thirteen in the coaches poll are SEC. The coaches are in the tank for the SEC. The coaches are drunk on SEC bias. Everybody is. These are like a bunch of IF then teams. Basically, Texas has a lot that they have going for them. These other teams like Bama Wood, the quarterback situation in the run game did oh for LSU, A and M all the talent they lost to the draft, got a lot of turn on the offensive line. Oklahoma same thing run game. How good is Matier this year he comes back from injury. A lot of if and any of those teams, if those ifs get answered in the affirmative, they could be fringe national championship contenders. I think that's fair. Texas text at twelve, which begs the question where would they be if they had sores By? I was wondering, if they have Soresby, do the coaches rank them top ten? My guess would be a Round nine or ten. They're at twelve with Will Hammond. Okay, we move on. Fourteen, sixteen, seventeen, nineteen, and twenty two are Big Ten teams, so it's kind of weird when you look at the Tier two of the SEC. Just below them begins the Tier two of the Big Ten. Now we don't know if this is going to be reality, but if I had to do my Top twenty five right now, I think it would feel somewhat similar. And that is I think the top of the Big ten's better than the top of the SEC. Then I think the second level of the SEC is probably a little bit better than the second level of the Big Ten. That's why answering that question is one of the most important storylines in college football this year, because if that's wrong, if an M and Oklahoma, Alabama, Ole, Miss LSU, some combination of those kind of crap out, and Washington is a surprise team this year, Bryce Underwood just balls out of his mind at Michigan, USC really is a playoff caliber team. Penn State goes ten and two or better, Well, that up ended the whole sport because that means the top of the Big Ten and the second tier of the Big Ten we're better. Or do we have a total inverse effect? Is the top of the sec better and then there's a huge gap and then the Big Ten's Tier one and Tier two kind of snuggles between the secs one and three. I don't know, but I would think it kind of works out this way where you've got USC in there, Michigan, Penn State, Washington, and then I was at twenty two. I think it's kind of fair so far. I don't have a big problem with all of this, and mixed in between there you've got Brigham Young at fifteen, SMU's in there at twenty. I think maybe just maybe I'll go a little higher than that on Smull. We'll see that works out. Tennessee's in there, Tennessee, seeing some opinions on them, seeing Tennessee start to have a little bit more spark, which is interesting. We'll see how that quarterback battle plays out. Is very much a quarterback battle right now, Jesse, Is this a typo at twenty three? Because I see the Clemson Tiger pond. Certainly that can't be reality. Certainly you meant to put something else. Certainly this is just a graphical oversight. No, they're telling me that the coaches ranked Clemson twenty third. Drugs. Dabo himself had to have looked at this when it came out and said, who's really twenty third? Though they're like, no, sir, we're ranked based on what I've got to think the sit down Dabo did with us on the Speaker series had to be watched by enough people that they just got roped in. I'm not saying Clemson Mago eleven and one for all I know, but there is no basis for the most hardcore of Clemson fanatics on this planet to rank that team in the preseason, so much so that Clemson Addict friend of the program on Twitter said, if we're being one hundred percent honest, with ourselves, like brutally honest seven and six team coming off of nine players getting drafted. We're only ranked to give LSU a ranked win and we won. The SEC media machine thinks they're slick. Now, I want to remind you this is not the Associated Press Top twenty five. These are the coaches. So there's a growing conspiracy that the coaches are in the tank for the SEC. I don't even know who all votes on this, but like, just picture Bob Chesney if he's an AP voter saying, what do I want to do here? I think I want to rank Clemson because four months later it's going to help you in the eyes of the committee to have had a ranked win in Week one, Go Bruins? Is that really the conspiracy right now? If Clemson addict says it, who am I to push against it? I can't believe. I can't square Clemson. It's hard for me to scare in the top thirty. Number twenty three is insane. Houston's twenty four of Missouri's twenty five. So the teams that aren't here Louisville, Arizona, Illinois, Illinois again, you're kinda I don't have a problem if you're projecting with your ranking, So like if Illinois had a good year last year but they lost a lot and you're gonna bump them down. Okay, but what are you projecting with Clemson? Is my whole question. I don't want to get two up in arms about this because it is August fourth, after all. But neither of the Arizona's are in there. Florida's not in there, Auburn's not in there. And you may be thinking to yourself, well, those aren't good teams. Those shouldn't be ranked. Okay, but you see who is? Is my point. Great job, coaches. I got big news on this piece of paper that Jesse has freshly printed off so recently it's still a little warm, and he has put in my hand Paystatemateial dot com is your one stop shop for all things wardrobe has been for a while. A mountain of new items are about to get dumped in there, by the way, not that the old ones are bad. We've still got a ton of good stuff in there. The football is coming, shirts are moving and moving in a big way. I'm just telling you, Alex has got some new stuff that is about to roll off the assembly line. However, that's not the big news, although it is big news. The big news is last year, a lot of people, as it turns out, in our audience, are designers, and they wanted to design shirts. We just didn't have time. It was the middle of the season and it was one of our off season projects. That's why Jesse took a break in July to get his hands around this sort of thing. So you wanted your shot, and you got it. So we're about to launch our first ever merch design contest, and there are cash prizes involved here, so you really need to pay attention as of midnight tonight. Tonight is Tuesday, August fourth, so if you're listening to the replay Wednesday, it's already live. As of midnight tonight, paystatematerial dot com. The design contest will launch. We're gonna run this thing for fourteen days. That's how long we're gonna take submissions. Then there's gonna be a seven day period where the best ones are gonna be available literally on the website. Your mom and dad can buy them. In fact, I would encourage your mom and dad to buy them, because we're not gonna choose the winners of the design contest We're just gonna kind of choose who makes the cut, and then the audience is going to choose based on their purchasing who wins this thing. And then there are cash prizes for one, two, and three. These are not small numbers in these cash prizes. There's more on the graphic than there is on the paper. Oh well, I thought we were Jesse says, we're actually giving out more money than is written on this piece of paper. And there's a lot of this is my money. We're giving out a lot of money. I'm giving out a lot of money. That's fine. That's fine. It's just going to come out of someone's paycheck, but that's fine. So I would strongly encourage everyone who reached out last year and you know who you are, or if you didn't reach out last year and you just think you're really good at designing stuff, this could be pretty lucrative for you at the very least, and hopefully eventually for me one day. All right, let's move on. What a day last night. That's not how I want you to intro it. Pres when you cut this in a little while, We've got a lot of friends of this program. We've got some people we don't care for We've got some people who have been outright hostile towards us in the past, but that doesn't mean that we have to completely ignore opportunity and Brenda Walker Burger King Brandon, as he's kind of become known, is someone who we've been familiar with for a long time. Brandon Walker and I have corresponded behind the scenes and what I would call a hostily cordial manner in the past. He said some things about me publicly. I've said some things about him publicly. Most of what I've said has been true. Most of what he said, I think is more a defense mechanism than anything else. It's kind of like the kids saying I'm running away from home. I'm never coming back. He doesn't mean. It's just what else is he gonna say? He's seven? What else is Brandon Walker gonna say in a lot of these situations. But here's the thing. He used to have a show. It went away, some conflicting opinions as to why, but it went away, and now it's back. And so I got an offer. I got an invite to Barstool headquarters in Chicago. A couple of weeks ago. People thought I was going up there for Big ten media days. It was great. No one asked why I was in Chicago. But I didn't go up there for that. I went up there to go record a lengthy ninety minute sit down with Brandon Walker for his debut show, which happened Monday night, and it's like two hours forty five minutes total. Probably not a great idea because his voice was shot in the first twenty minutes. I don't know if you saw that or not. A lot of you did big viewership on this show, but it was the debut, and I wanted to go up there and I wanted to participate. And I've got some more news about how that's not quite finished yet. But I also got to tell you there's some other people I know up there that work in that Chicago office. And one of the highlights of my trip was not Brandon Walker. I would not call Brandon Walker the highlight of the trip. Our good close personal friend Ben Menz I think was probably the highlight of my trip. And Mensi suffered an injury a few weeks ago. He's been hobbled, he's been on the shelf. But you know what, nothing is impossible, and so one of The first pieces of audio and video that I want to play for you is sort of Brandon Walker recapping the scenes when I first walked in the building. And I got to say, for a dude who stretches the truth a lot, this is very accurately told story. Let's roll it.
Speaker 2: Ben Mince and Big t Ben Mintz broke his leg. Ben Mince broke his leg three weeks ago and has not moved an inch. Yeah, since we can't get him to work, we can't get him. He has to be led to the bathroom to pee. People have to hold it for him. They gotta wipe him, they gotta do everything. We have to send a crane into to bathe them every night, and he is useless. You show up, Ben Mince jumps out of his chair and he skips. He skips to you, like, oh my god, Josh Pate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't have to hold that. The boom marm will hold it up. So I walked in and Mince Mince drug a peg leg all the way he has all the way, yelling let's.
Speaker 3: Talk about pep tides. Talk to you about peptides. We'll talk later. Well, you gonna be Nashville for all, Miss Lola, we'll talk later.
Speaker 1: Mens is sitting there all sud He goes, I don't know that you can appreciate the moment if you don't know Ben Minz, and you can't really appreciate at the moment. It is the most surreal thing because I knew about Mens's injury. It's been well documented and I have seen the videos, and I like, I thought for a little while the dude would never walk again. And I walked in that building and you're like taking your sunglasses off because it's bright outside, You're adjusting your eyes, and boom, this was captured. This is like still photography images of when I first walked in. So there's Menzi that unmistakable posture, and he's a he's in a boot there, he's in a walking boot, like an Alabama running back after the LSU game. And then we start walking down the hallway because Brandon walker like we're on kind of a time crunch, and so he's trying to peel me away. And in that picture on the right, MENSI tried to chase us down the hallway a little ways. So that's that's an accurate portrayal of what happened there. Amazing trip though, amazing encounter there. Get well soon, MENSI. We're all pulling for you. So anyway, this was a wide ranging conversation. You can find it over on the Brandon Walker College foot I'll show YouTube channel what a combo of words coming out of my mouth here on the show. But here's the thing, okay, and it's gonna happen a lot, I would imagine, because he's doing a solo show. As we all know, I am very measured and calculated and responsible with the words and predictions that come out of my mouth because I hold myself to account. If I pick Indiana to go oh and six and they go six and oh, I'm throwing the clown nose on. Okay, So we do a health the inventory, and I try to keep myself honest. Branda Walker lives in a fantasy world. He is a high air balloon with absolutely no sandbags. And so sometimes when you finally get face to face with that kind of person, you can get them on tilt really quickly, and you can see that they're about to go a direction because it's in the eyes. You can see it in the eyes. You can read the body language and what you do at that point is you just nudge them. So Mississippi State comes up last night, and I'll just give you a quick example. This happened like one hundred times over the course of ninety minutes, but one of them was Mississippi States. His team. Mississippi State's over under win total is four and a half at FanDuel. Right now, with that information on the top of mind, let's hear how Brandon Walker thinks the Bulldogs are going to do this year.
Speaker 2: We might have some things percolate down there.
Speaker 1: You're gonna go to a bowl to Mario Taylor, Yeah, I know who he is. I've read the preview magazines. You're gonna go to a bowl.
Speaker 2: Well, went to a bowl last year.
Speaker 1: But so, I mean, what is the standard this year? Like we're cooking some things. Everyone speaks in these hypotheticals. Eight wins? Are you high? Eight wins? Eight?
Speaker 2: And you know what, we got Oklahoma and Alabama coming in back to back. We're getting one of them.
Speaker 1: You got that right? Eight and four minimum, at least eight and four, and either OEU or Bama fall victim to Mississippi State. And it's not like I'm down on Mississippi State. The way to handle. This is the over unders four and a half. Let's call six and six, but no, we got to go eight and four. So it's important to get that sort of thing on the record early. So that's on the internet now. You can't get rid of that. That'll lift forever. It's no different than that kid from Texas catching that dagger touchdown pass right in his face and the live broadcast catching him right there in the corner of the end zone. The lights are on. No one's home dead behind the eyes which came up, by the way, and I got him to discuss it on record at length. So here's the heartbreaking part that sometimes happens in life. The heartbreaking part that you can only imagine if you get into the media business is some people you like, some people you're indifferent on, and some people you despise. And you would think, oh, the folks you like, those are the ones you have chemistry with, and oh, man, the folks who you can't stand, Oh, you'd never be oil and water. No, no, no. The heartbreaking part is when you love folks but you have no on air chemistry with him, and then you turn around and you sit down with that and it just clicks you know how it is, Jesse. The heartbreaking takeaway from all this is it was great. The feedback we got was incredible, to the point where I'm happy to announce right here on this show tonight that that was only the first half of a home and home. There's no buy out here. You can't go Indiana, Notre Dame. You can't get out of this one. And so I'm not going to give you exact dates, but it'll be in August. It'll be later this month. Think about these words, Jesse. Take tike camera one, Bradley, think about these words on this stage, in this physical space. Brandon Walker in studio for part two of whatever you want to call what happened last night. Subscribe to the channel, please, both of them. We move on. They're watching us in State College, Pennsylvania, Franklin, Tennessee, Daytona Beach, Florida. We do have great news to report. It's a little delayed. Frankly, we should have talked about it the other night, and I just forgot. So we had a question about a rivalry, a rivalry I grew up on, A rivalry that should be eternal, evergreen, should never die. USC and Notre Dame is back after a brief absence. It won't be played this year, or next year or the year after that, but the good news is it's coming back in twenty thirty. So one of you asked, how am I supposed to feel about this? You know, am I supposed to celebrate that it's back? Or am I supposed to be mad that I got to wait to twenty thirty? Well, one thousand percent celebrate that it's back. I mean, this was a historic rivalry that it looked like we were going to lose, and now we do get it back. It's in twenty thirty. You can be mad that it's come to this. I was, I know I was. I view rivalries in the kind of light that I don't even view the playoff in. I don't even view the content up to the National Championship game in the same light. It's like the Pope meme. Man, I'm holding Notre Dame USC here above and beyond the college football playoff logo because I grew up like that, I was raised like that. I was raised properly, and so rivalries mean everything to me. It's the very bedrock and foundation of college football. Rivalries should be more secure than Fort Knox, and yet we let people touch them and we let people mess around with them. And it is my opinion, if I were college FOOTBA commissioner and everything I just said goes, I wouldn't care who the ad at Notre Dame is or USC is, or the head coach at Notre Dame or USC. At any given point in time, you sign up to be part of Notre Dame. You're signing up to play USC every year. You sign up to be part of USC, You're signing up to play Notre Dame every year. Case closed. And if you don't like that, the answer is not, oh, let's rework the schedule. The answer is head on down the road and go somewhere else, Go coach somewhere where you do have full autonomy over the schedule. But it just so happens that this is ordained. Okay, you don't get to touch this. It's like the sky is blue, water is wet. Notre Dame in US see play every year and if you don't like it, that's a you problem. And if it messes up your path to the playoff, your head's in the wrong place. So I'm not casting a spurs and s here you remind me to tell you who I had to ignore a call from Jesse. It's unbelievable. So rivalries are everything to me. So yes, I was irate when this happened, and yes I'm very happy that it's back right now, here's what we have to resist. Okay, and this is a cautionary tale. It's not the last time we're going to have to deal with this. I want to make sure everyone understands. Playoff brain rot is a very, very big danger to college football. Playoff brain rot sounds like this, we got to make the playoff no matter what. And that means that if we got to soften our schedule to do it, so be it. And if this rivalry has been played for five hundred years, but moving it would help us go to the playoff, and so be it. No, no, no. And then there's this group of fans that I think have fallen victim to playoff brain rot. And that group of fans no particular group here, but a generic group of fans, feral in nature. They wander the college football landscape. They say, well, why should they play that game if it makes their path to the playoff tougher? Because it's college football That's why that's it. I don't have bullet point two, three, four and five because it's college football, and it happens. This is the whole nature of the sport. It happens. Now, I do get the logic. I do get it, just like Sark last year, Sark came to the end of the year, Texas is nine and three, they don't get in the playoff, and he looked and he said, now, wait just to second, we could have easily scheduled Abilene Christian in Week one instead of Ohio State. And it's a fact in his opinion. It's a fact in his opinion that had we just won fifty to nothing and then done everything else the rest of the way just like we did, would be in the playoffs. That is true and irrelevant because that's not how a competitor should think. But there is merit to the logic of it. So my gripe is not merely with people who want to do away with historic pillars of this sport in advancing their playoff likelihood. I also I also look at the entire rankings process. There's a big difference. Now, there's a big difference in when we get to the end of the year, and do we think that the resume justifies making the playoff? I'm starting way way way way back in like the table of contents in this book, not on chapter nine. The table of contents is how does a playoff committee operate? How should they operate? And to me, what I would tweak is the way resumes are judged, because I think there should be a world where there's a nine and three team And I don't mean last year's Texas, but I mean any given year if someone loaded their schedule up and they go nine and three against it, and there's another p four that went eleven and one. I want to live in a world where there's room to put nine and three over eleven and one, because if you thought that just loading up on creempuffs was going to be this double barrel middle finger to the system, which is basically what Indiana's doing when they're out of conference schedule. Mind you, it's an embarrassing situation that Indiana's in right now. But you know what, there's like a part of me that can't even blame Indiana because number one Indiana can do no wrong right now. But number two Indiana's looking to say, hey, man, we already played in the Big Ten. If we take care of business in conference, it don't matter if we play three high school teams out of conference. You won't box us out of that playoff Watch and see, and you know what, you won't playoff committee.
Speaker 2: Won't.
Speaker 1: It may happen as soon as this year. What if Indiana's ten and two this year didn't play anything with a pulse out of conference, and they're being compared to a comparable ten and two, maybe even a nine to three from somewhere. You're not gonna keep them out. You won't playoff committee, won't. They know they won't. They've spoken publicly about it, so you know, until that dynamic changes a little bit, you're gonna deal with playoff brain rot as the basis and the foundation of the logic for some of these decisions. Anyway, I am glad we got USC and Notre Dame back. I hope this is the last time we have to deal with that, but it won't be okay. Transfer a portal was a buzz this past year, and we didn't have a post spring portal window. So I kind of like that world that we live in. But also now that fall camp's opening up, like it gets real. So we find out when you look at the industry composite, you look at the on three portal rankings and you think you know, but then after every single year we look back at that top fifteen, top twenty, and inevitably there were guys that you expected to be impact players that weren't. And this is like the great period of unknown where we're trying to figure out, like LSU goes and get Sam Levitt. Is Sam Levitt gonna be a true difference maker at quarterback? Is Sam Levitt a guy that if LSU draws like Texas in the SEC championship game, which would be a second time they played him this year, or if they're playing Ohio State in like a quarter final and it's twenty four to twenty four and quarterbacks got to go win a game. Can he do it? Jordan Seaton? How does he pan out? Because that's a big deal for LSU because they were the worst team running the ball in the league last year and there was some woeful historic powers in terms of rushing numbers in the SEC, but LSU was the worst. But LSU tried to make moves to correct that. So that's a top off tackle I think he was the best offensive tackle in the thing, and Peek was the only other one that could have maybe challenged for that, and he got hurt. So they were lasting the sec and rushing last year. They are making moves definitively to try and upgrade that. They got Uman Meellen, Yeah, I gotta say it slow. They got Jordan Ross. I mean, those are two really, really big time edge players. So if lsu falters this year, it won't be for lack of immediately trying. At Miami. This is kind of a story every year. Miami's very active in the portal, Damon Wilson kind of coming in. I think it may be the wrong way to look at it to just say, well, Miami, everything about them depends on how much they can replenish the lost production of Reuben Bayin and a Key mesidor they lost twenty two sacks. Well, Damon Wilson only had nine last year. First off, no one only has nine sacks. That's the first thing. The second thing is, it's not like the rest of the teams of carbon Copy. What if Miami, oh, I don't know, maybe is only eighty two percent as effective in their pass rush as they were last year, but they're better in the secondary, especially at corner, better ball skills and oh, by the way, they got Darien Mensa down there now and he's an upgraded quarterback. That's a what if. I believe it, So it's kind of a prediction for me. But technically it's a what if. What if they don't have to be exactly what they were? What if they're more than one or two ways to skin the old cat? As Memo would say, and Morio Christovaul would also say, Cooper Bark coming in just casually pairing an eleven hundred yard receiver last year with Malachi Tony, first world man. That's the world Miami lives in. And Texas of course, this is the most all in of all in teams in the portal. Going to get in cam Coleman. Cam Coleman, there's a world this year where he matches his career production Jesse did we say around the thirteen hundred career for cam Coleman right now? Somewhere around there. He could have thirteen hundred this year. So I mean Ryan wingoes on that team. They're loaded. They went and got smothers, they went and got really brown two tailbacks most teams out there would have died to have one of them. But also Rasheem Biles one of my favorite players out of the transfer portal huge addition at linebacker, he's not going to catch the ball, he's not running the ball, he's not throwing the ball, so he's not going to get as much attention, but man, the mentality they need to play with. Or in other words, when you think back to Texas Georgia games and you think about Georgia just having a little more of that, Rashee Biles is one of the kinds of guys that you bring in in order to, you know, maybe change that dynamic a little bit. Indiana had the number one portal class in the country per On three, and it was a small class, but it was a really really high impact class. Josh Hoover, of course, at quarterback. Hoover, you know, if you think about Curtis Rourke two years ago and then them upgrading to Fernando Mendoza, I'm not gonna say those are the two bookends of the scale because it's possible that Josh Hoover's better than Fernando Mendoza. Who knows, that'd be tough, but I'm asking if he's between those two, where is he on that scale, little Born Rourke or a little closer to Fernando Mendoza, because really that's kind of what it comes down to here. And they went and got Nick Marsh, the Eric Singleton of the Big Ten as I like to call him, And by that I mean Nick Marsh is a potential superstar caliber player that was just in the wrong situation last year. And there are a few truths in an uncertain world. But I promise you he's in the right situation at Indiana and there are a lot of passes to be caught there. I was gonna say a lot of balls to go around, but that would have been an early August immunity and we don't want to do that. We don't we want to take ourselves down that road this early. So I get the vibe and got the vibe when I was talking to Sig when I went up there, as you remember, you were setting up the cameras and I was asking them about Hoover and Signetty just said, we got what we need there. Yeah, I think we got what we need there. Well, that's the only scouting report I need. So the other guys I mean Drew Mestemaker did this hall in general that they brought in at Oklahoma State. Just taking Drew Mestimaker, who was a forty eight hundred yard forty plus touchdown guy last year, could end up being the best quarterback in the country this year, and hardly anyone has him on his radar unless you're a Diehore college football fan. Caleb Hawkins also transferred up there from North Texas. That's a fourteen hundred yard rusher last year. That team in general is gonna be fun to watch because there are going to be some people out there who halfway know what they're talking about in the sport that pick Oklahoma State to play for a conference title, and that would not be the biggest shock in the world. Justice Haynes's gone from Bama to Michigan and and now to Georgia Tech. And if you think about what Georgia Tech doesn't have, you think about Haines King being out the door, and then the offensive coordinator is gone, and probably the guy that would have been the starting quarterback is gone, and you think about some of the portal moves they made elsewhere trying to gain size. Overall, there's a lot of uncertainty. Justice Haynes is certain he's a good player. He may lead the acc guys, he may lead power for in total carries, because I can promise you he got paid to come down there and they were going to get their money's worth out of Justice Haynes. Eric Singleton, I just mentioned him. This is a guy who at Georgia Tech two years ago, was a really good player, went to Auburn last year and did what everyone did at Auburn last year, which was disappear. And now he pops back on the scene at Florida, playing with Dallas Wilson, playing with Vernell Brown, playing with Aaron Filo, who I think will win the quarterback job there. Eric Singleton's a really good player and he is not alone down there, and he can be a really really good breakout player this year. And then rock o'beck who has Jesse you know, he's he's like I'm trying to think of who I want to compare him to. It's like the it's like the new cam rising guy who's just been around forever and he's your quarterback. Now you own him. He's your quarterback, so whatever he does, you do. You guys are one and the same this year, fourth year starter at quarterback, veteran running backs, veteran tied end, kind of a veteran team. Guy's got an old team up there, Jesse, that work for Indiana. So those are some of the impact portal players that I've got an eye on. Not an exhaustive list. Obviously, it's a beautiful time of year. Camps are open, fall camps opening all over the country. And I got to tell you, this quarterback situation in college football from a preseason standpoint, is unlike anything I remember in my lifetime. I was just looking like I opened my notes app this morning and I just started writing names of quarterbacks. And this is not CJ. Bailey's not even on this list, as I got pointed out to me, DJ Lagway is. But I just wrote some names, and I don't know, that's like twenty or thirty names there of guys who are notable. And I told Jesse earlier today, take the top ten, Go go to the heismanods at FanDuel. Take whoever they have ranked top ten. Take them off the board, and think about the names who were still there. If you take the top ten quarterbacks in terms of preseason heismanads off of that list, You've still got John Mattier, Marcel Reid, Leonora Sellers, Demon Williams, will Hammond, either Austin mack or Keelan Russell, Bear Bockmeyer, rock O Beck, Drew messen Maker, Kevin Jennings. Austin Simmons was slated to start for Lane last year. This is an insane quarterback year, which means the potential for week by week upsets greatly increases because any of those quarterbacks hot on any given Saturday, could theoretically beat almost anyone else. It's gonna be credible, incredible, And if you think about the best of them filtering out over the course of a season, think about what the playoff bracket would look like, not even predicting the teams, just kind of think about the quarterbacks in the bracket. So that obviously is something to watch in fall camp. There are some quarterback battles that I really have my eye on. I think the Alabama quarterback battle is the most important one in the country. So Keilan Russell, Austin mac Now I do owe you this. We're just going to delete this if it doesn't come to be. But I think I went through spring, and I thought Kielan Russell would be the starting quarterback there, and my feel nothing's changed since spring. But my feel is Kielan Russell still ends up being their start or like by November or something like that, and he may start Week one, who knows. I do think there's some legitimacy to the theory that's floated around that if you have a little more trust in Austin Mack, you start Austin Mack understanding that from a psychological standpoint, from an ace in your back pocket standpoint, you don't have the toughest open to the season. They play East Carolina, they go to Kentucky, they got Florida State at home, and then they get into conference plague at South Carolina. Point is, look we saw last year with Bama. There is no gimme, but they should start five and oh should start five and oh. But if anything goes sideways at any point, I think you want to be able to say, all right, it's time to start Keeling Russell like that feels like the start of a new season. If you do that. I'm not saying that's the way it'll go, but I think this quarterback battle is plenty competitive enough where that's the way it could go. Camp I think opens there tomorrow at Tennessee George McIntyre and Faison Brandon. My default stance in spring was it's George McIntyre's job to lose, and I still think that's the case. I just think it's razor tight because I think Faison Brandon is going to do a lot in fall camp, and he's only going to get better, but he's going to do a lot in fall camp to I think challenge there. I think the fallback for Hypel either way is, hey, we got a pretty good offensive line here, we got a pretty good ground game here. The jury is still out on how good they'll be defensively year one under Jim Knowles. But if you think about the style of team, you're not probably asking either one of these guys throw the ball fifty times a game. You're looking for the best decision maker. You're looking for the guy with the best poise, and if that's a true freshman by the time week one rolls around, so be it. And you're not married to that decision that you make in week one, but the one that has a lot of people scratching their head right now and I'm with you. It's Clemson Top twenty five. Clemson, the twenty third ranked team in the country according to the coaches, is in a situation where ch Chris Vzina has been there how many years Jesse three and he has not taken the job yet, and Tate Reynolds is there. And look, I'll be honest. When we went through spring, I listened to the feedback from Clemson and I kind of took this as a cosmetic quarterback battle. That's how I looked at it. We have them every year, but I don't think it is that. As we get closer to fall camp opening there, that just feels like a battle where I'd still pick Vezina to win the job. I just he hasn't taken it yet. And remember, Garrett Riley's not the offensive coordinator there anymore. So you got both guys learning a new system. And there's some people around that program that would tell you, hey, Tate Reynolds maybe fits the Chad Morris offense a little bit that Chris Fhazina does. It just feels kind of weird. I don't know. I thought that'd be locked up already. And here's the other thing to keep in mind they open against LSU at LSU and that offensive line to be generous, it's probably in the state of flux coming into the year. It's not the place that I would want to go to figure things out. And so whoever gets the start there, you got to keep in mind it could be rocky in week one, So quarterback battles, that's something to watch. The hot seat thing, which I kind of talked about the other night, but since fall camps are opening, it's a good time to just remind everyone. Pete Nkos did a really good job sort of summarizing all this over on on three dot com earlier today, yesterday or today. I saw it this morning, so yes, yes, of course, Mike Norvel's on the hot seat at FSU. Dave A Randa at Baylor. Yeah, the whole Belichick thing at North Carolina. Not a lot of sand left in the old outlass there, I don't think. Mike Loxley at Maryland. Yes, a man through Chris Creighton on here. Tough times at Eastern Michigan, but that's not who I wanted to talk to you about. I wanted to talk to you about Luke Fickle at Wisconsin. So Luke Fickle has had the worst quarterback injury luck of any major head coach over the last few years. Luke Fickle did not do himselves any favors with how he filled out his offensive staff when he first got there a few years ago. That's ancient history. Can't do anything about that. Now. He's tried to rectify it since then. Here's what I'm trying to tell you. Unlike some of these other guys, if Luke Fickle gets fired this year, and I were North Carolina or someone like that, I'd go after Luke Fickle in a second, cause Luke Fickle's not a bad football coach. He got down the wrong road too far.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I look at these situations where maybe you turned down a dead end road and you just don't have enough gas to get back to the main road. So but if I could just get this car back to the main road and fill it up a little bit, it'd be fine. It'll run fine. Luke Fickle. All I'm trying to wait and see is did he get down that dead end road too far? And if so, and if he gets fired, Luke Fickle would be in high demand. Like Pate State has an opening, I would very aggressively go after Luke Fickle. But I don't know that's how it ends up. This year. You got their schedule Jesse by chance, the Wisconsin schedule. I didn't ask for it. But hopefully it's just in the system. I think they may be okay this year. They open it against Notre Dame in Lambeau, so I would guess they lose that game and then they're off everyone's radar for a couple of weeks. They play Western Illinois Eastern Michigan, and then the next time you see them would be at Penn State Week four. Now, I'm gonna tell you right now, Jesse's people have penciled that in as a W. And the only W you should be penciling in is the Wisconsin logo because there's nothing given about that day. You need to be careful. You need to be careful. All I'm saying is they do not play Ohio State, they do not play Michigan. I'm having to scan it in real time. They do not play Indiana, they do not play Oregon. Check me on that, but I think that's accurate. It's a far cry from this time last year when we did the strength of schedule rankings, which Rhet Lashley is a huge fan of preseason strength of schedule rankings, and Wisconsin was like a runaway number one without a close number two in the Big Ten. Things have changed. I think I think Luke Fickle's gonna be okay. A lot of people disagree with me on that. Also, the first year head coaches getting ready to open these fall camps. Lane Kiffin of course at LSU. Kyle Whittingham is the head coach at Michigan now, which I know is old news, but it's kind of something you have to remind yourself of every now and then because of everything that's happened up there. Matt Campbell of course at Penn State. James Franklin at Virginia Tech. Here's I want to ask you, Jesse and everyone else, because Jesse can't speak for himself. Do any of those guys make the playoff this year? Take Lane out of it. Let's just pretend Lane's a different category. Are we gonna have first year head coaches or a head coach singular or plural here in the playoff? I think we're going to I just don't know who, And we're taking Lane out of it again because that's a different category. Like Morgan Scalley at Utah, he technically is a first year head coach, even though he's been there for a long time. I mean, what if summer all just it all came together for him, What if he made the playoffs? What if Billy Napier at JMU making the playoffs while Florida doesn't would be a poison pill for a lot of people in Gainesville. So yeah, fall camps opening, It's a beautiful time of year. I'm extremely excited. And then I pull this up, this story in case you can't tell, I've moved on this NCAA suspension of Arian Carter. I wanted to wait a couple of days on because this is a pretty family friendly show and I don't want to blow up in front of the kiddos. And so Sammy hit us, and I'm going to answer this question tonight. He said, how much of a joke is the NCAA for suspending Arian Carter for a plane ticket? Don't they have better things to be working on? Great question, No they don't. There's no other rule that they have on the books that they can actively enforce. So this is kind of what it's come down to they have to lick the old innex finger and flip past the first nineteen chapters of the NCAA bylaws. And they get down to something they think maybe they won't get taken to court over And this kid let an agent pay four hundred dollars for a plane ticket. Put him in prison, put him, get him out of here, put him in prison. So what happened here? For those of you who haven't been following this story and think that this is a joke, it is, but it isn't. Arian Carter really good player for Tennessee. He tested the NFL waters and what happened was he had an agent, because everyone does now, and that agent purchased him a four hundred and twenty seven dollars plane ticket. We don't know if it was round trip or not. And then he decided not to go to the NFL and he paid back the four hundred and twenty seven dollars to the agent. Case closed, except that it's not. Because the NCAA got wind of this and they were like, finally something for us to do, and they came down hard on Arian Carter and they suspended him three games actually, and Tennessee appealed the ruling, and I think the appeal was something like, you can't be serious, and the NCAA said, okay, fine, two game suspension. And apparently that's where we are right now. Here's what's wild, what's wild? And again, I'm about to speak in pure hypotheticals, because there's no way that the purely hypothetical scenario that I'm about to paint would ever actually happen. But if Arian Carter's agent would have just gone charged Tennessee a forty thousand dollars consultation fee and then handed a lot of that money to Arian Carter, would be fine. Again, not that that ever happens in the real world, strictly hypothetical, but no, no, no, Instead he bought the kid a four hundred let's round up to five hundred. Why not bought a five hundred dollars plane ticket, prison, prison or suspension, whatever comes first. So Josh Hypel spoke on this today. I said, this is a family friendly show, but there is going to be some language mixed into this SoundBite. And I did not have Bradley and Crewe edit it for content because it's just too accurate. So they asked Josh Hypel at his first press conference of fall camp today. What's the latest here? How do we feel about the Arian Carter suspension? And here's just a bunch of facts from Josh Hypel.
Speaker 4: The ruling that came out from the NCAA, the two game suspension, I truly believe is bullshit. You look at the landscape of college football, the rules from nil everything. I think the ruling is completely outdated.
Speaker 1: Oh, but it's a rule, Josh. Don't you know? It's a rule. Even if you don't like the rule, we got to enforce the rules. Hey, did you know that it's illegal to coast down a hill in the state of Tennessee? Did you know that it's illegal to shine shoes after one pm on Sunday in New York State? Be careful? Did you know that, Jesse? I didn't either. You know why because there are some laws that we collectively as a society have understood are laughable and we don't enforce them. The NCAA is not familiar with this concept whatsoever, and so they're still enforcing nineteen ninety seven logic based ruling in twenty twenty six. Do you understand there are teams paying over forty million dollars to their roster this year. Legally, you can't do anything about it. And Arian Carter said, maybe I want to go be a professional athlete. Four hundred and twenty seven dollars plane ticket. Oh, actually, you weren't supposed to give me that. Let me pay it back, suspension. Here's why I can't be a head coach. And this is really the only reason I'm not a college football head coach. I'd play him anyway. That's why I can't be a head coach because if I'm Josh Hipel, I don't really care what my legal team tells me. I'd ocur my ad tells me. Truthfully, Danny White would probably be on board with me doing this. I'm like, Arian, you're in Week one. Just see what happens, because clearly, when you step to the podium and you talk that way about the governing body of the sport, you don't have any respect for them. No one has any respect for them. In fact, I know Tennessee is going to be playing at home week one. Tennessee could play on the road. Tennessee could probably play in Tuscaloosa. I think it was man who was it? It was Andy Staples. I believe. But I can't remember which show, but they floated a scenario the other day. They were saying, if you were to take this to trial in a Gainesville courthouse or a Tuscaloosa courthouse, Tennessee would probably even win there, because that's how egregious this is, So it couldn't be me. You want to know why Josh Heipel gets paid a lot of money, It's not even because he can dial up game plans so well. It's because he has to just like grit his teeth and deal with this nonsense. And yet Tennessee is still going to be probably pretty good this year. But if you don't believe that, you can go to FanDuel right now and prove me wrong. FanDuel the exclusive odds provider of our show. Several games are up over there now. Like some of you love to go old school, you just love to bet the games. Others of you say, no, I think I want to go bet No on Texas Tech making the playoffs, or yes on Oklahoma State making the playoffs. Look, I don't care because wins are wins, So value is value. You go find it wherever you can. But over at FanDuel right now there's a robust college football market and beyond. I'm just I'm a college football guy. So that's what I'm looking at. And not that FanDuel has anything to do with this per se, Actually they do. Ramanudle Express is about to chuck its way around the bend. Ramendal Express is on its way back. We have fed so many families with the Romanudle Express. And I know some of you are new around here and you have no idea what I'm talking about. You will, you will in time. And there is a new Ramen Noodle Express T shirt that is coming to the paitstatemateial dot com store. That is my favorite design of any design we've ever generated around here. And it's so simple, so good. I may wear it on air and I've never worn a design T shirt in my life on air. Sign up for FanDuel at FanDuel dot com backslash CFB promotion must be twenty one plus and present in select states for Kansas and affiliation with Kansas Star Casino, or eighteen plus and present in Washington, DC. First online real money wager only ten dollars first deposit required. Bonus issued is non withdrawable bonus bet that expires seven days after receipt. Do you have a gambling problem? If so, call one eight hundred gambler, or visitfanduel dot com backslash RG call one eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven, or visit CCPG dot org backslash chat in Connecticut, or visit MD Gamblinghelp dot org in Maryland. Hope is here, visit gambling Heelplinema dot org. Or call eight hundred three two seven fifty fifty for twenty four seven support in Massachusetts. Or call one eight seven seven eight Hope, n Y. Or text h op E n Y in New York. All right, last Lead Bowl prediction season rolls on around here. I made my predictions earlier. It's time for you to make your predictions. And if any of these ranked nine point five or boulder on the boldness scale and it hits, you win a chalice of supremacy. We gave away three of them last year, which means there were chaali instead of chalices. Let's see what we have tonight from Nashville, Tennessee. Three words lsu. Actually it's four words because we don't say natty because I think it's disrespectful LSU wins the national championship. This is from tweeting an elon until he gives me one million legal name. So this is a nine point five. But it's not insane to think ls you could win the national title. Yes, there is a lot that has to come together for them, but you know my philosophy on this. If you're predicting a single team to win the national title from this far out, it's like trying to sink a half court shot. The rim is the same size as if you were shooting a layup, The ball's the same size, but just the percentages drop significantly. Big basketball guy. So if they get in the playoff, then obviously it's a game changer. Well for two reasons. Number one, because you're in the playoff, which you have to be to win the national title. But number two, if they're there, that means it all worked. So like, if if you tell me LSU's gonna get in the Plaoff, that's kind of like Miami making it last year. Once Miami made it in, anything's possible. But they've got to make it. And I know by SEC standards, this is a workable schedule, but it's still a hard schedule. So give me a nine and a half on them winning the whole thing, because even if they make the playoff, they're gonna have to play two or three of the best in the country and that's just tough, not impossible, but tough. Next up, Jared from Mechanicsburg, PA. Penn State wins all of its games en route to Matt Campbell's first playoff appearance, so close a couple of years ago. This is a nine point five. Remember, Penn State is not its schedule. Penn State is a team who plays its schedule, and they're over underwin totals nine and a half right now. But we're calling for him to go twelve. And oh, I believe in Matt Campbell implicitly some say I got him hired, not me, but some. But do they win everything they should? So let's take a look at their schedule? Do they win all the games they should? You know, the Marshalls and Temples and Buffalo is a man I forgot. I haven't looked at their schedule in a while. This is Indiana esque. This is pretty rough, but that's okay. It goes to the big ten.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: No one gets to take shots at the Big ten, right now it's so comforting having that patch on your chest. Anyway, eventually they will be less than a five touchdown favorite when Wisconsin comes to town. Northwestern. These are games they're supposed to win, though, Minnesota and Rutgers later in the year at Maryland. So Purdue, if we are to assume they win all the games they're supposed to, that gives them to about nine and oh, and then we got USC at Michigan and at Washington. Those are the three games that are still in a state of balance here, and I just got a tough time seeing this. I also have a tough time assuming that the schedule is going to be as big a cake walk outside of those three as other people are suggesting, just because that's not how the sport works. So that's a nine and a half twelve and oh. Penn State, though, would be very entertaining because that means they're going to the Big Ten title game, and who knows what happens there, but they're in the playoff either way if they make it that far. Next up, we have some controversy out of Lynchburg, Virginia in the ACC. SMU wins their first ACC championship before Miami I don't like it. I love it. I'm not picking it, but I love the I love the spirit of this prediction. It's a nine point twenty five Jesse, you thought I should go higher, right, You didn't think I should go higher. You think this is accurate at nine point twenty five, So you don't think it's You think it's bold, but it's not insane. It's because you doubt Miami's ability ever win a conference title. They haven't. I haven't won it yet. Cursed, did you say that. I didn't say that. Cursed. Wow. Miami is the overwhelming odds on favorite to win this league right now, but you know what, that doesn't mean much. I think they're gonna win the league. But that doesn't mean much either in a one off scenario, Kevin Jennings gets hot. He beat Miami last year. Mind you, these teams played last year. We were there, We were on the field there in Dallas, and it was it was like a rainy game early then it was complete Blue Sky's second half. We talked to George Bush that day, Senior, So an eventful day there in Dallas. Look, here's what I want to point out. This is a big time schedule alert, red flag double warning situation. Look at SMU's schedule right now, it's on your screen, and if you're listening on podcast, this can't happen. How do you let this happen? SMU plays at Notre Dame November twenty first, they then play at Stanford November twenty eighth, back to back road games to end the year, and if they're in the conference title game, that means it's a third straight road game because they have to play it in Charlotte. So think about being in Dallas. You fly to South Bend and back, you fly to Palo Alto, California and back, and then you fly to Charlotte and back. This could have happened to Miami last year. The ACC schedule makers had Miami playing back to back road games to end the year last year. But Miami just said, okay, a little work around here, let's just not make the conference title game and still play for a national title. But this, this prediction says SMU wins the ACC. So on top of probably playing Miami, they're gonna have to play Miami and beat them. Having been on the road three times in three weeks. That's hard. I changed my mind Jesse it's a nine point five. I'm gonna bump it up to a nine point schedule dynamics, I'm gonna bump it up to a nine point five. And lastly, this will raise some eyebrows. Taco Cat from Westchester, PA. Indiana will one hundred percent not make the playoffs this year. There's not a lot of wiggle room and one hundred percent I think this is a nine point twenty five because here's really what it takes. Indiana has a dog water out of conference schedule, so if they lose two conference games, throw their schedule at Bradley whoever punches that thing in there. Let's just walk through this for a second. Let's say Indiana goes ten and two, because they're not going to be bad. But let's say they go ten and two. Their losses let's just say are Ohio State USC or like Ohio State at Michigan. But my point is, let's say the teams they beat, like USC and Washington. Let's say those end up not being good teams this year, so there's not really signature wins to hang their hat on, and they get docked for playing North Texas some dude named Howard and Western Kentucky and out of conference play, and it's like Vandy. Last year. Vandy was ten and two, but it was just a log jam of teams and they get left out. Now it's really tough to envision this, I know, because you've got the I don't believe in defending national champ, but you've got last year's national champ being left out if they're on the bubble. But that is kind of the way this could go. I still think it's unlikely, so I'm going to make this a nine and a quarter. But if they do get left out, that's how I think that would happen. Great show tonight, in case you can't tell, we are back to three shows per week and that will last until January, so we're locked in. Do me a quick favor check and see if you're subscribed to the channel. If you are, thank you if you think you are, and or if you're not, just looking subscribe because it's free and it doesn't cost anything, it doesn't sign you up for anything. It just helps us and so we always get a big influx of new audience this time of year, so we just kind of want to keep the show the same as it's always been and we want to keep that indefinitely, so subscribing to the channel helps us out. Appreciate you guys so much. We'll be back here Thursday night. Until then for director Bradley, Producer Jesse, I'm Josh Bate. Have a great rest of your eating and God bless. Sign up for FanDuel at FanDuel dot com backslash CFB promotion must be twenty one plus and present in select states for Kansas in affiliation with Kansas Star Casino or eighteen plus and present in Washington, DC. First online real money wager only ten dollars first deposit required. Bonus issued is non withdrawable bonus bet that expires seven days after receipt. Do you have a gambling problem if so called one eight hundred gambler or visitfanduel dot com backsloe RG call one eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven, or visit CCPG dot org backslash chat in Connecticut, or visit MD Gamblinghelp dot org in Maryland. Hope is here, visit Gambling Heelpline MA dot org or call eight hundred three two seven fifty fifty for twenty four seven support in Massachusetts, or call one eight seven seven eight Hope, n Y. Or text h O p E n Y. In New York