ETS: Welcome back to she Pivots. I'm your host, Emily Tish Sussman. I'm so excited for everything we have in story this season, but I have to be honest that I'm entering this season in a bit of a different headspace, and I want to talk to you all about it, how it happened, and what I think it all means. I had the opportunity to join the Harris Walls presidential campaign, going back in the career that I had pivoted from so many years ago. So I ended up full time in my old career, living in a swing state, away from my family, working twenty four to seven and the result aside. In that moment, it was like a total mind fuck for me that it's taken me years to be okay with the fact that my political career was done, and then all of a sudden, I was back in it and I loved it. It made me think about how I've purposely adjusted myself to a lower stakes life where not everything is like winning a presidential campaign, which is about as high stakes as you can get. And I think there's also a part of me that really doubted whether I was capable of doing it or not. I hadn't been capable when I had left after having three kids in four years. That's why I left, So I really didn't think I would be just as good. But it turned out I was pretty much just as good as I used to be, and in some ways I was maybe even a little better. But I really couldn't believe that was my mindset. After talking with nearly one hundred women on Cheap Pivots about why they belong in the new space they carved for themselves, why did I not believe that I belonged in a space that I had mastered. As difficult as that was to realize about myself, it showed me so clearly that my work here isn't done. And as I looked for somewhere to channel all of this passion and energy I had on the campaign, I quickly realized that it's this, this podcast, this community, all you amazing women. This season will dive into the complex thought processes and feelings behind why women pivot and leave space for the often confusing and nonlinear experiences that come with our plot twists, and if we're lucky, we'll change the cultural conversation and empower more women to bet on themselves. It helped me prove to myself that my power doesn't come from the version of me in politics. It comes from where I am. It's not in some former version of me. It's within me, and wherever I go it comes to I'm excited to explore and to unpack what all of this means with all of our guests this season.
Monica Padman: Let's jump right in. Welcome back to she Pivots. I'm Monica Patton.
ETS: Welcome back to she Pivots, the podcast where we talk with women who dared to pivot out of one career and into something new and explore how their personal lives impacted these decisions. I'm your host, Emily Tish Sussman. Today we have a very special episode with podcast Royalty Armchair Expert co creator and co host Monica Padman. If you're a fan of her show, you know that Monica is a pro at getting her own guests to open up. But once I heard that she pivoted into podcasting after working as an actress and a babysitter on the side, I knew I wanted to have her in the hot seat when we book guests for she Pivots. I've always prioritized guests with diverse stories, and what I found so unique about Mindica's pivot was the way she got into podcasting. She leaned into the off ramp of being a babysitter slash assistant, and it was actually that choice that made her have this successful career. Going from babysitter to Kristen Bell's assistant and right hand woman paves the way for her to build Armchair Expert from the ground up with Dak Shepherd, and what started as a side project quickly became a cultural phenomenon, with millions of listeners tuning in each week to hear Monica and Dak's tackle life's big questions. Her role in the podcast isn't just about co hosting. Monica is a producer, creative force, and the heart of many of the show's most memorable moments. She's brought her unique voice to conversations about vulnerability, mental health, and what it means to truly connect with others. Monica's pivot is about more than her career. It's about embracing the unexpected and leaning into opportunities that align with who she is at her core, from aspiring actress to one of the most recognizable voices in podcasting. Monica's journey is proof that sometimes the road you didn't plan leads you exactly where you're meant to be.
Monica Padman: Hope you enjoy. My name is Monica Padman and I am a podcast creator, producer, host.
ETS: Okay, so we're going to bring it back and go back to little Monica. What was your childhood like? It seems like you always wanted to be in the entertainment industry. Were you always like running around and a wicked hab a lookite?
Monica Padman: No? No, I was not running around with any kind of hat on, maybe like a doctor's had, even though that's not a thing, a surgical mask. Maybe I was really really shy when I was young. My mom will tell you that I was just sort of attached to her hip and was probably annoying her all the time. Yeah, I was a really shy kid. But I was also very good at making friends. But I would do it in a way that was like one on one friendships, right, Like I wasn't going to pop up in front of the class and be class clown or get attention that way. But I would try to build these kind of intimate relationships with people. I think, even at a young age, I was just like, highly perceptive at a very young age what to do to make people around me happy or to be liked. So I was not very outgoing in that way, but I wanted to be. I think like when I was little, I definitely wanted to be a doctor. I don't know if I really wanted to be a doctor. I just was like, Oh, that's like the that's the way to get the affection of my grandfather probably, And yeah, I guess that was sort of me back then.
ETS: It didn't take long until Monica fell in love with the idea of Hollywood, and like most actors, she had the canon event of watching two very influential pieces of media.
Monica Padman: But I didn't really want to do anything in entertainment until I was in about eighth grade. I two events. I watched Goodwill Hunting and I started watching Friends, and I was obsessed with both of those to such a obsessive degree that I, you know, I had that feeling of I want to be doing what they're doing. I want to be a part of that. I didn't know it was acting. I didn't know anything. I just was so taken by it, and I knew I wanted to be in that world. And make people feel like I was feeling when I watched it. And then I started in ninth grade. I started in theater class, and that's when I really was like, oh, this is this is I like it. I want to do this.
ETS: At the time, this looked like it was going into acting and moving to la to make it happen. But hindsight is always twenty twenty, and Monica highlighted one key difference on how she now thinks friends influenced her.
Monica Padman: And then with friends, it was I don't think I really knew this at the time, but I wanted to be them. I think I wanted to live that life. I wanted to live the life that the friends were living, not not really acting. Even though I ended up, you know, I ended up like deciding, oh, I guess this is how you do that. I wanted to have like fun on set, I think is really what it sort of boiled down to. And I sort of figured out how to do that too, like work with my friends and laugh a lot and tell stories.
ETS: But she was not yet a world famous storyteller. So Monica headed to college to study theater in Georgia.
Monica Padman: At that time, I'm from Georgia. They had a Hope scholarship. So if you graduated high school with the certain GPA, I don't remember what it was at the time, maybe three eighth, three seven, I don't remember, but something like that, you qualified to go to one of the public colleges for free tuition. So my parents were like, yeah, so that's what you'll be doing. You will be doing that, and that's that, and all my friends were going to so it just made so much sense. The theater conversation was a conversation, definitely. I added a major. I added a PR major, so I doubled majored in college so that everyone could feel a little more calm about my prospects.
ETS: So then when you moved out, you did like the classic actor la thing like front desk, a soul cycle, babysitting. I cannot imagine the stories that you have from that. Let us send care please.
Monica Padman: Oh soul cycle was it was so fun and everyone, you know, everyone was young. We were opening up the Beverly Hills studio, so it was like this group of young kids. I was the oldest one and I think I was twenty five working at the front desk and you know, cleaning the shoes and I guess what's the nice I can't think of a nice way of saying. Dealing with the Beverly Hills clientele, which was very specific, and I actually developed a really, really, really intense amount of anxiety during that time working there because I was scared, like people would come out in the middle of class and like be like sort of half passing out. And it was on our little, like eighteen to twenty five year old front desk, you know, group of front desk workers to deal with this, and we you know, we were we had like train in CPR and all of these things, and it was it felt very scary. And one time we did have to like call nine one one, and it was this whole you know, to do. So so I left that job a little bit after that because I was feeling a little little overwhelmed. I was also babysitting throughout that entire time.
ETS: So it's during this time that you met Kristen and Dax through a mutual friend. How did that work?
Monica Padman: Yes, So we had mutual friends, so I would see them on a very acquaintance level at like parties and stuff, and you know, so we sort of knew each other's faces and said hello, but then I did an episode of House of Lies. I like booked an episode of House of Lies as it actually ironically as her assistant and when I saw you know, so when I got to said she was like, oh hey, I know you, and we were chatting a lot, and they had just had their first kid, so I she was showing me pictures and I was like, well, I also babysit all the time, so if you ever need a babysitter, all at your girl, And then they sure did.
ETS: So how quickly did it go from like babysitter kind of know you around, like we're in this together, like we're all in.
Monica Padman: Yeah. So I was date night babysitting for Lincoln, their first and then when Kristen was pregnant with Delta, which was like a year and a half year and some change later, they decided they probably needed more help and so they asked if I could come on full time, and so I did that, and that's really when it took off into you know, I was I worked a full day there every day and that then we were just all in and then I would stay over and we'd watch TV, we'd play games, and it just became like one big melting pot.
ETS: Were you still trying to pursue acting. Were you seeing this as like a holdover? You thought this is a career for me. I want to get into what your mindset was at the different phases, because something that I think about a lot is how do we define success by? How do we define our expectations? That's a great question. The answer is I was not satisfied and Slash. I was not thinking, oh, I think I'll just be like a nanny now forever.
Monica Padman: That wasn't my thought process. I was still acting. I was doing a lot of commercials at that time, and when I first started with them, I said, and I really hesitated that. Actually at first I was like, I don't know if I should go full time because how am I going to go to auditions? How am I going to do my job? And so I brought that up to them. I said, I really want to say yes, but I also need to be able to leave if I have an audition, and they were like, we'll make it work. So I was still able to be pursuing acting, and I think that was maybe why the whole thing worked, because I was still pursuing my thing, yet I was getting a lot of validation from this other job, and I did love being there, and it was a very homey kind of we are a village vibe that I really really really liked, and those kids feel like my kids. So it just all, you know, I think it was a really specific alchemy that made it work. I started out as the babysitter. Then I moved into assistant. Once their second went to school went to preschool, they wanted to keep me around, but obviously there was no kids in the house anymore. So she said, do you want to come on as my assistant? And so I did that, and then as as I was doing that, I was also writing stuff for her and you know, becoming a producing partner with her. But then I was also still doing some of the old things, like there just weren't clear delineations because we were just figuring everything out as it was going. And so at one point I did have to say, hey, so I can't do that other stuff anymore. This role has progressed sort of unknowingly, you know, We've just like been going through the motions and now I'm I'm here and I'm doing this level of job, so I can't also be doing that level of job, and that was a little bit of a hurdle, you know, at first, I think because understandably so Kristen was like, well, yikes, but I need that other stuff done too, and you know, what do I do? But we figured it out. I think that's also the beauty of her definitely, is she's very open to hearing things like that and understanding what's important to her and who is important to her and how to make that person happy and give them what they deserve. So I think like at first, when she's saying, oh, yikes, after a day, she's like, yeah, them actually makes sense, so let's figure this out. And so, you know, there there was times like that.
ETS: Was there ever awkwardness about the fact that you were trying and not having the same level of success in the same industry that they are in or they were in.
Monica Padman: No, because they were at such a different level. So it wasn't like I was comparing myself to them at all. I was already I was a huge fan of both of them before. I loved Parenthood, I loved Ronica Mars, So I wasn't like, oh, they're working a lot and I'm not. You know, it just felt like we're at very very very different stages in life in general. I mean they're babysitting their children too, So I think that all helps. What's changed in our lives over the past ten years is that you know, like now I have changed in position a little bit in life, and it doesn't feel like we're in a very different stage. And so we've all sort of adapted to this like growing shifting dynamic. But first, no, it wasn't hard at all. It was like, oh, yeah, these people are extremely successful actors. That's what I entered into. It wasn't like I saw the rise. And they're both dreamly generous and would really do what they could for me a lot.
ETS: You know.
Monica Padman: Dax cast me in chips like early early when I was just like date night babysitting.
Speaker 3: You know.
Monica Padman: Kristen if she had something and there was like a part that she could sort of slop me and she would do that. They did a lot for me.
ETS: As her responsibilities grew with Dax and Kristen, Monica still had her sight set on acting and hadn't yet seen that her pivot could be around the corner. When we come back, Monica tells us how Armchair Expert was born, how did it actually turn into let's do a podcast?
Monica Padman: Like what were those steps? Yeah, And it was early days. It was twenty seventeen. Dax has gone on a few podcasts and really enjoyed it. Just thought it was like a really fun medium of nice antidote to the two minute story where you hit your beats and you get in, you get out, and so he just liked it. And he came home one night I think Kristen and I were working or playing a game, probably more likely, and he said he wanted to try doing a podcast, and I said, oh, I can probably try to help figure out how to do that. And so I started looking into other people who had podcasts and doing research and I met with this couple that I know that had a podcast, and so, you know, doing all of that, and then it was like, yeah, let's try it. We brought Rob on to help with the technical stuff, and it was really just like, let's just see how it goes. There was talk about expectations like we had none. We had none, truly, and I know that it sounds weird now so many years later, because it's grown into such a fruitful business and we're so lucky and ironically, like now our expectations are too high, but they started at zero and it really really helped us on the ride because we could really enjoy it. At first, it was like, whoa, what is going on? This is so exciting, Oh my gosh, people are listening. Oh wow, instead of like not enough people are listening, or oh we need this, so we need that. We were just shocked and happy. We launched in February of twenty eighteen. We launched with three episodes, Kristin. My guest is the lovely Kristen Belle Ashton Kutcher.
Speaker 4: Today I get a chance to thank the person who started my career, Ashton Kutcher and Joy Bryant. I am joined by my TV wife, Joy Bryant, you know her from Parenthood, Get Rich or Died Trying Antoine Fisher.
Monica Padman: We put all three of those out at once and it was a pretty big audience immediately, but then it did also continue to grow and grow and grow, which we were again surprised by. Even we had if we had guests that were lesser known, we would still notice like, oh, everyone's still listening. That's interesting, and that's good. That that that means it's about more than just whoever's coming on if we were learning so much as we were doing it. But yeah, it was. It was. I think it was a pretty quick, big audience that continued to build on itself.
ETS: Did you see any particular moments of really big growth where were like, oh, that's interesting.
Monica Padman: I want to say yes, because I just listened to acquired and I want to sound really business y, but I we we were not business y. Like we we were not paying that much attention to that, like oh my gosh, it was a big big you know, jump here or dip here. We just weren't. We were just doing our thing. We were asking people to come in who we thought were fun and cool for us. The one of the biggest early moments was when Katie Curic's team reached out to us. That was the first big moment. It's like, oh my god, somebody's asking us if they can come on. That was the first time that happened, and that at this point many years later, that's pretty much how it happens completely. We still reach out to people every now and then if there's like a you know, person we're really excited about, or who's on our mind. But for the most part, we have you know, requests come in, and that was the first time it happened, and so for us, we were like, we were just very excited, and that for us was growth, Like that's how we were measuring it, sort of like, oh, people want to come on, that's cool.
ETS: Armchair Exburg quickly became the number one podcast in the world, boasting guests like Natalie Portman, Tom Hanks, Brookshields, and Hillary Clinton. And for anyone who isn't familiar with the show, Monica serves as co host, producer, and editor. But getting comfortable with each of those titles and roles took time.
Monica Padman: Well, okay, so when we first started, we didn't know anything, Like you know, the first episode with Kristin, I'm sitting there like I'm sitting on the couch and I don't say anything. We don't know what we're doing, we don't know how, we don't know what we're doing. And I was I was so anxious for that whole first chunk of time that I wasn't saying enough, or I wasn't inserting myself enough, or am I just like the girls sitting on the couch for no reason, like what everyone's probably so confused And I think to an extent, a lot of that is true. And we were having people on this show that I really wanted the approval of, or had been wanting the approval of for so long. I remember when we had Judd Apatow on, I was so in my head because I loved him and his movies and everything he did. And I'm you know, I'm still an actress at this point, and I'm thinking, Oh, I don't want him to think there's just this like dud on the couch. I want him to think I have this shiny personality and like me. And so I was in my head a lot during that time, and I think once, well, first of all, there's like a sort of well known turn of events, and that we moved my chair so I was sitting on the same couch as the guest. When we had Jake Johnson on, he who was like, I can't see her. I want to see her. Can we move this around? And so we pulled a different chare up. From then on, we had a different configuration and that helped so much. Where now I sit by Dax, and I think as I just got more confident the more we did it, I also started to really understand my role as like as a producer on the show. I edit the show. I you know, I I do a lot for it. And I started to feel that, like, oh, I am extremely valuable here, so I don't have to prove myself on these episodes. Maybe not everyone will know my purpose, but I do and Dax does, and that is really all I have to kind of care about. And then when I started to get more confident, I did just start chiming in more or I felt fine to not. We also started to sort of come to the conclusion over time again all this is so trial and airy, and it's just like over time, I was understanding that my role there is mainly to be the voice of the audience. So I don't watch the tele like for the promotion piece. I don't watch the television show or read the book or do anything like that because I need to be the one also as the editor who knows when things are getting esoteric, if the audience would definitely say wait, what or what who's talking to? What about? What? So I'm also there as that sort of eye that I think the audience wants. And again when I knew that, that also gave me sort of like a place to plant my feet, which was very helpful.
ETS: And so as you became more confident in your role in the show, did that increase your satisfaction? Is that being the way that you spent most of your time, like, were you still working on out their hustles outside ventures trying to act successfully acting?
Monica Padman: No, I think you're right. I think as as my confidence grew and as the show was starting to grow even more, especially when we you know, we signed a deal with Spotify, it became one hundred percent my sole focus. I don't act anymore. I mean I'm not like I'm done acting, but I certainly don't have time to go be a series regular on a show at this point. You know, we have three shows. At one point we had five shows. We've done a ton of limits, did series and continue to do that. So we've just sort of expanded in that world, in the podcast world, which has been so fun and challenging. Back to a challenge, I mean, I didn't even when I moved to La podcasting wasn't a thing. I didn't know what it was like the idea of moving to this city and this is now my job when it wasn't even on my radar when I came out here is such a bizarre turn of events. But yeah, I think my satisfaction definitely got I mean I'm really just like sitting here thinking, like, am I satisfied? And I really am. I'm really proud of everything we've done and will continue to do, And yeah, I haven't really thought about that, but yeah, well.
ETS: Then maybe this will be a Solly question. But like, do you remember if there was a moment when it flipped for you and you were like, this is the only thing that I do and I'm happy about it.
Monica Padman: I don't remember if there was like a certain moment. I don't remember thinking, oh, I don't have time to do the other thing. That's really bad. I think I thought, oh, wow, I don't have time to do this other thing, and I don't really miss the other thing, so that's interesting, Like this is much more fulfilling. This is giving me my own voice and a way that is really fun and the element of discovery is really interesting to me. So yeah, I don't think there was a moment. I think when we signed the deal with Spotify, it was clear just from the outside in the value of the show. I mean literally, there was a number a numeral value to it, and it did make me very clear, although I think I was probably clear before that, but at that point, one hundred percent like, this is our job, this is our company, you know, this is our legacy. Really like there's it all sort of became clear.
Speaker 3: As is his co host on Armchair Expert, which goes to Spotify on July first, with President Obama, Monica Padman is here.
ETS: Okay, you've put out nearly eight hundred episodes. How do you put out so much content? That is so much?
Monica Padman: It is so much? Well, we have two Armchair show, you know, two interview shows a week. We have our celebrity guest on Monday, and we have our expert guest on Wednesday. And then we added a show. We added Armchair Anonymous, which is my personal favorite, where we talked to our listeners and that's on Friday. So it just adds up. And we've been almost doing it for seven years. And as I said, we also had, you know, we had a show call Flightless Bird that ran for multiple years, and we did a show Sync that ran for a year. Many limited series ten episodes series. I did one with Kristen one with Jess Rowland, you know, we just we've sort of run the gambit on trying stuff out and it just adds up.
ETS: After the break, Monica's journey comes full circle as she reflects on how she is still keeping the dream young Monica had all the way back in eighth grade alive. But You've said, I'm getting to do what I wanted to do, but in a different package.
Monica Padman: Yeah. When I was watching Friends and Goodwill Hunting, and I was thinking, I just want to be a part of something that is making people feel moved or feel connected or learn something about yourself via what you're watching. That's one piece mixed with watching Friends, and I'm thinking I want to do that. I want to have fun all day long. They are all really they're actually friends. They're laughing the bloopers, blah blah. You know. Ah, That's how I want to spend my life. That is how I spend my life. I work with my best friend. We laugh NonStop. We put out a product that is honest and real, and I think people connect with that. And so I'm getting to do this. You know, when I think back to my original goals of what I wanted when I was watching those things, I'm doing it. And I'm so I'm so grateful for that.
ETS: So what is one thing that you at the time you thought was like a negative or a low point, and now in retrospect you see it as having really launched you or changed your perspective to where you are now.
Monica Padman: Well, definitely at the beginning of the show, when I was not talking and I was really in my head about it, I told Dax. I was like, oh, I feel like I'm just sitting there and you know, I don't know what to do and I don't want to not talk. And he said, you know, I understand all of that, and we can. Let's work on that together, let's figure it out. But also, I'm telling you that this is special and I don't want you to miss it. I don't want you to not be here for this and be in your head about what you're doing wrong or could be doing, or what it could be or couldn't be. Like you need to feel this, And I heard him, and I do.
Speaker 3: So.
ETS: After over eight hundred episodes, millions of downloads, and a new career path, I had to know. How does Monica think about success now?
Monica Padman: I think when you enter the entertainment industry and at all you have to start redefining what success means in general, because it takes so long for anything to happen, if anything happens at all. So in order to succeed in LA at all, you have to have a flexible mind when it comes to success and happiness. I was told really early it got some really great advice early to fill out the rest of your life, Like it can't just be about booking auditions or acting like you have to fill out the rest of your life. You need to have friends, go out, you need to go to restaurants, you need to do it all like your life is still happening. And that was really helpful to me because even when I think back at like the Soul Cycle time, I was also so happy, like we were playing, you know, we were having big game nights, and I think maybe at that time I was happy, but I didn't feel successful. And when I moved over to be with Kristen and Dax, when I started showing what I could do so more than just after like the Nanny, but when I was writing stuff for Kristin or when I was able to like flex my skills, I did feel sick successful and I felt very satisfied. This new layer of success happened after that, which is like a financial one right where it's like, oh my gosh, like we've hit this thing and we're hitting these things, and now that we're in that, it's definitely the least satisfying version of the success along the way, which is ironic and odd, and it's going to sound really bad. People are going to be mad at me for saying that, but it's the truth, Like chasing these numbers is the least satisfying thing. Do you think you'll pivot again? I mean, life is long, so you know, I have no idea what the future holds. I'm trying my best to be more and more comfortable just sitting with that, like I don't know. I don't know what's going to happen. You know, we we know for certain we have some more years of doing this. We're in another deal and we'll see after that how we're all feeling. There is a lot I still want to do in addition to I love writing and I want to put some real focus and energy there. I love fashion. I'd love to do something in that space. So there's you know, there's things I want to check off the list, but as far as like a massive pivot, we'll have to see.
ETS: Thank you so much for joining us, Monica. I have loved having you on.
Monica Padman: This was so fun. Thank you so much for having me. This was such a delight. I'm very honored.
ETS: Monica still co hosts and produces Armchair Expert while also working on her show SYNCD. Monica lives in the LA area, and, like us, is devastated at the immense loss experience from the LA fires. We reached out to Monica to see if she wanted to share any organizations that are close to her heart, and these are the organizations that she recommends. Path LA World, Central Kitchen, the Los Angeles Fire Department Foundation, Habitat for Humanity, for Greater Loss Angels, and two one one LA. Visit Monica's page on She Pivots the podcast for the links. You can keep up with Monica on Instagram at mL Padman. Thanks for listening. Thanks for listening to this episode of She Pivots. If you made it this far, you're a true pivoter, so thanks for being.
Monica Padman: Part of this community.
ETS: I hope you enjoyed this episode, and if you did leave us a rating, please be nice.
Monica Padman: Tell your friends about us.
ETS: To learn more about our guests, follow us on Instagram at she pivots the Podcast, or sign.
Monica Padman: Up for our newsletter where you can get.
ETS: Exclusive behind the scenes content, or on our website she pivots the Podcast Talk to You Next Week special thanks to the she pivots team, Executive producer Emily eda Velosik, Associate producer and social media connoisseur Hannah Cousins, Research director Christine Dickinson, Events and Logistics coordinator Madeleine Sonovak, and audio editor and mixer Nina pollock I endorse Tea Pivots