Speaker 1: You're listening to I Choose Me with Jenny Girl. Gabrielle Carterras has been fighting for workers' rights for decades. No matter what industry you're in. Gabrielle has some solid tips for finding your voice, standing your ground, and supporting one another along the way. You won't want to miss this. People really look to us as women who made it in a tricky time in the industry, and I'm not really sure if it's that much different now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would imagine it's not.
Speaker 1: Can you please help our listeners, no matter what industry they are in, stand up for themselves. Let me ask you, in the negotiation process right out of the gate, should women always ask for more money? What's the smartest way to do that?
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, it depends what you want out of the negotiation, and negotiations not only about money, right, So if you're saying that women are paid less than men and that women should demand to be able to have equal pay equal pay, then I absolutely, but that's not always what it negotiation is about. But so there can be many things. But yes, I think that it is very important and it's not just a woman. I think men should demand it as well. But anybody who does commensurate work to somebody. Yes, we should all be paid fairly and it shouldn't matter about our sex. That this is a question for me as enraging. I mean, it's just it doesn't make sense to me at all. If my work is really good, regardless of my sex, and this person's work is really good, we should be paid. I don't want to have to go in have to make a deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's ridiculous that we have to fight to have equal pay.
Speaker 2: It's disgusting, it's terrible.
Speaker 1: I mean, especially when it's you know, but our apples to Apple's, like we've all had the same experience. We both bring so much to the table.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and I think it's actually when the whole thing I told you about with Luke and I, for me that was like a that was a really aha moment in my life.
Speaker 2: Right yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So don't be afraid.
Speaker 3: Or be afraid. Fear is not a bad thing. I think we all have fear. It's learning to let fear walk by your side. You can walk side by side with fear and still do things in your life you don't. Fear is something that dissipates only when we move forward. It doesn't you can't push it away. So you can be afraid but still know that you have value. You can be afraid and you can still go and be clear about what you deserve. And you don't have to have shame about that, right, you know. I mean, we don't have to apologize for the work that we do. I mean it's one thing to say I want you to pay me, but I'm not going to show up.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to do a very good job.
Speaker 3: But if you're showing up and you're doing that job, that shouldn't be a question. That should not be a debate. Yes, So you can have fear, I'm not going to stay, don't it fear. Regardless of your fear, know that you have value and that nothing will change unless you ask for it. Nothing will change really unless you ask for it.
Speaker 1: So true, once you're in a job and you're feeling discriminated against or harassed in some way, who do you go to? Do you go to human resources? Because I've been told that human resources are there for the company, not so much the individual.
Speaker 3: I think it depends on the company. I just I hate blanket stuff, so I can't say there are other HR there's people I know who work in HR who are very high integrity, and they are really they're doing the work of HR. But just like in any place, you can be in another place that's not like that, but if they're not doing it. Look, I'm the kind of person if something really bothers me, I'll be loud and proud. So I can't. I know that that might not be the path of everybody. But even like when I was injured, and you know it was you know, the producers were so terrible me. The producer who was so bad I went public. He couldn't believe I went into the press and there were a lot of repercussions for that. He gave out my personal address, He did all these things that the courts found him, you know, to be wrong, and he was fine for But I say be proud and loud, and if you think you can't, that's only a thought that we don't have to let our fear be the thing that stops us again. It can exist at the same time as you walk forward.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: It's so good to remember that two things can exist at the same thing. Yeah, So, do you have any suggestions or maybe people should try different ways like to document things to protect themselves before they go into report something.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, I always think it's not only good to write down information to be specific, but it's also I respond, I keep bring up my case. But that was a big movement for me, a moment because I won that case after nine years.
Speaker 1: No, that was a long battle.
Speaker 3: It was a long battle. I say every email that is sent to you and that you keep everything. I journaled from the minute I got injured I started to journal. It was five years later that they were able to look at my journal to get information on people that I could never remember, the names that I was so sure i'd remember right at the time, like I'll never forget this. Well, guess what I forgot. But it was all in writing. So yes, you should write everything down, write dann what people are saying. If somebody says something to you and it's not in writing, you can confirm the conversation in an email or a text. You could say I just wanted to reiterate, or say I heard you when you said this. I want to make sure I was hearing that correctly. Do really keep a track of everything because time can go for a while and you could always be able to fall back to that documentation. And also it helps to release you. I think the more you document, the less you hold on to it emotionally and perseverate over it. I think it gives you room to think beyond. So it's important to document.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, that's good. Supporting one another is vital in any kind of work environment, and so often we're pitted against one another as actors competing for the same jobs, the same press, etc. Do you have ideas for people so that they can forge relationships and alliances at work, so there is that support, that community, that group. You know, when when you're not just keeping it inside like you did, or like I did.
Speaker 3: Asks people to lunch, you know, take a moment. That's two bad people only working on the computers at home.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: One of the most wonderful things I think can be the work environment. It doesn't always have to be hostile, but I think that being able to be honest, to stand up not only expect people to stand up for you, but stand up for them right. You want to mirror the thing that you want to have have and for you, it's really important and so I think that you know, take a moment away from yourself, look at the person. You did a great job today, or I really admired when you said that one thing. I'd love to talk to you more about that. I think that we make it less about ourselves more about the other and about us. I think that garners a really much healthier environment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, I love that.
Speaker 4: I'm Kristin Davis, host of the podcast Are You a Charlotte? The most anticipated guest from season three is here the Tray to My Charlotte. Kyle McGlaughlin joins me to relive all of the magical Tray and Charlotte moments. He reveals what he thinks of Trey giving Charlotte a cardboard baby?
Speaker 1: Why would I bring her a cardboard baby?
Speaker 2: As literally, I was like, this doesn't track for me at all.
Speaker 4: When he found out Tray's shortcomings, I'm.
Speaker 2: Kind of excited to talking about.
Speaker 1: You know, I think he's the guy's time in Central Park.
Speaker 2: You know, he's probably be some.
Speaker 1: Surgery stuff, you know, And I was like, all this kind of stuff going on, and they were like yeah, yeah, yeah, fine, and they said, but he's impotent, And I was like, he's.
Speaker 4: Impotent, and why he chose not to return to and just like that, they came and presented an idea and I was like, I get I see it.
Speaker 2: It's so kind of a one joke idea.
Speaker 1: You don't want to miss this.
Speaker 4: Listen to Are You a Charlotte on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 5: Hey, it's Wilfredll and Sabrina Bryan.
Speaker 6: From the podcast Magical Rewind and we have a very special guest on this week's episode. He's the mastermind behind some of your favorite movies like Hocus Pocus, Newsy's, The Descendants, and of course High School Musical. Yes, it is the one and only a living legend director Kenny or Tega.
Speaker 5: We sit down with Kenny to talk about his incredible career and the legacy he's created with his choreography and films.
Speaker 6: You seriously will not want to miss this one.
Speaker 5: Listen to Magical Rewind on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcast Yes.
Speaker 1: When did the intimacy coordinator come into play?
Speaker 3: God, so we're in twenty twenty. I think first of all, the intimacy coordinators existed on the stage. That was something that existed in theaters because they needed to find a way to make it work on stage to look like you're having sex and not have sex. Than when the Harvey Weinstein moment came, and that was so look at people spoke out for the first time saying, not only he did stuff, but you started hearing stories the me too movement that nobody had heard before, and so there were.
Speaker 2: Actors who talked about it.
Speaker 3: We started talking on a global level around the world about this was happening in every country, and women were starting to admit that, yes, this had happened.
Speaker 2: Men had talked about it happening.
Speaker 3: And then we started talking about this intimacy coordinator thing. HBO had started doing it and owning it for their productions because they had more hyper exposed work, and then we started to talk amongst each other. Then started bringing in intimacy coordinators from theater who started to do it into you know, film, and then we said, but what about TV? Because TV is much more explicit now than it was when we started.
Speaker 2: We talk about how different, you know.
Speaker 1: I feel like a grandma when I thought, oh.
Speaker 3: My god, they feel like we had we didn't have you sell your phones then. But anyway, so it's but so that's it started. I think in twenty twenty, twenty nineteen. Oh god, it's been too I can't tell you the exact year that we really started to work on that. Now, I mean sag after. You know, they've just now made intimacy coordinators a category, a category, which is amazing. They're represented, they get great, I mean that gosh there, I think right now in negotiations actually with them, you know, for them to have you know, so they can figure out the wages.
Speaker 2: And all that. It's amazing.
Speaker 3: I can't believe that it started as a concept when I was in the presidency and the evolution it's taken through you know, fran Dresher when she was president and how it grew and then now we're you know, Sean Aston is there and I'm excited to see. It's so interesting to see the birth of something.
Speaker 1: Right, especially something like that, like as an actress, having had no support other than a male director and a male co star during those intimate scenes where we have to portray certain.
Speaker 2: Friend of a crew of one hundred men usually.
Speaker 1: But it's not that way anymore, thank god. It's much more diverse. But back in the day, yeah, I would have felt so much more comfortable if I had an intimacy coordinator, just somebody there, somebody say has a different perspective, is not trying to get anything from you.
Speaker 3: And so have you able to say something I'm not feeling comfortable about this? You know, well, how would you feel comfortable? Let's talk about that. Or intimacy coordinators aren't also just for a hyperds those sex scenes. Think about somebody who has to play a pedophile. We talk about this all the time, and they have to do it with a child. They're not doing anything, but even that you know, and you you're a parent, and that feeling that you have about that, and I don't know how to how to reconcile, like how do I make it so that the child doesn't feel and how do I make sure they have a voice? Like I am telling you it is one of the greatest things that is being put into our work.
Speaker 1: I think so too, Yeah, I definitely think so. What's one piece of advice that you live by every day?
Speaker 3: Be true to yourself, Be true to yourself, Be true to yourself, be true to yourself.
Speaker 2: Everybody.
Speaker 3: You might hear a lot of different this is what's done and this is what it's done.
Speaker 2: Be true to yourself. In the end, it's all make believe.
Speaker 1: Right, That's the thing you always hear. Well, this is how we do it.
Speaker 3: This is how we've always done it, This is how they do, this is what they want, this is what they're looking for, this is what they want.
Speaker 2: Are you okay with that?
Speaker 1: And you're like I, I guess everybody everyways doing it.
Speaker 2: Ye, be true to yourself, Be tu yourself.
Speaker 1: It's very good advice. So you just gave an actor, no advice.
Speaker 2: I just shared a thought with a friend.
Speaker 1: Any other last words for those working hard everywhere?
Speaker 2: Bravo, bravo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what else can you say? Thank you for your time on the pod with me. I so appreciate you being here. And so many people are out there working really hard in the entertainment industry, so you are amazing and everybody really appreciates all the work that you do.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I really appreciate being here, and I appreciate every single person who's really out there putting it out there. Yeah, because it makes a difference. It makes a difference.