Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: ALBERTA. Muslim is a newly minted president of Saint Louis fed Wall Street experience with Tutor investments out of the LC. The PhD from Pennsylvania are Michael McKee in conversation with Alberto Busslim.
Speaker 3: So we're within reach of the dual of the dual mandate goals UH and Monterrey policies well positioned. It's moderately restrictive and appropriately so because inflation is running above our target and therefore interest rates are above the neutral rate. So that's the backdrop. Also, policy could be you know, the the h could be accelerated, could be slowed, or could be paused. So there's some optionality depending on how the environment and the outlook evolve. So that's that's the backdrop for the semi where I can speak about myself. I'm keeping all my options open. There's more data coming we have, you know, CPI, pp I, unemployment, Retail sales PMI. There's a lot of data coming between now and the December meeting. So I'm going to wait till I see that data, until i can be assured in which way I'm leaning. So I think I'm keeping you know, optionality for December in my in my assessment, but I do think in the in the broader arc of what we're trying to do, the broader arc is we want to continue to bring inflation down towards two percent while supporting the labor market. And in that broader arc, you know, it doesn't have to be a linear process where you're going in that direction. No matter what you know, the economy needs to tell us how fast to go or how slow to go. And right now I see an economy that is growing above potential, Labor markets have full employment, inflation is above target. My assessment of risks around the dual mandate have as I said that the risk that inflation may have stalled, may be stalling, not the central scenario, but there's a risk of that have increased since September. And you know, all those things, plus uncertainty about where the final destination is the neutral rate, and uncertainty about productivity trends, all those things suggest to me that the time may be coming to consider the possibility of slowing down or possibly pausing.
Speaker 1: What is it that you want if the economy is speaking to you, what is it that you want the economy to say, that will help you make a decision. If we have data come in as forecast on Wall Street, as anticipated by you're fed forecasts, are we at the kind of place in the economy where you would be comfortable pausing.
Speaker 3: I think what I would like to see going forward is with rates above their neutral level, because inflation is above two percent. I would like that to continue to exert downward pressure on inflation. And as that is happening or expected to happen, that then interest rates can come down to neutral. So that's what I would like to see. Of course, we need to look at the other side of the dual mandate, which is the labor market, and the labor market looks looks pretty healthy. As I said of my remarks, I am watching the gross flows, so the unemployment rate is rather low, consistent with full employment. But if you look underneath that, the gross flows and the labor market have slowed materially, and it's important to keep an eye on that to make sure that that's not a sign of a potentially this or the adjustment labor market. I think the chances of that at present are low. As I said, businesses are healthy there is a little reason for layoffs to begin to happen. But I'm attentive to that side of the mandate.
Speaker 1: Also, what are the CEOs in your district telling you about their employment plans? What are you hearing?
Speaker 3: So they say that the labor market has normalized relative two year or two years ago when they had meaningful labor market labor shortages where hiring people was difficult, where they had to pay up for new hires. That has normalized, so the labor market is more normal. Some CEOs, particularly CEOs that have to employ a lot of skilled labor, are still reporting shortages of skilled labor and still having to pay up to replace folks. They are reporting, for example, that turnover in the labor market that they observe has come down, consistent with the aggregate data that I that I talked about minute ago. There are more job applicants per vacancy, so the labor market has eased and it's getting easier to fill positions. They report wage gains in the three and a half to four percent range, which is consistent with the aggurate data. And that's yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: It sounds like you're describing something that would fall into the category of soft lending or goldilocks.
Speaker 3: You know, I try to stay away from labels like goldilocks or soft landing. You know, I just I think of very clinically and I think, you know, we have a dual mandate and we have to hit that dual mandate. I don't try to put labels around it. I know folks in the press love to put labels on it, and that's fine. You know, I think the as I said when I began the remarks, you know, the achieving the dual mandate is within sight. You know, if you look at headline PC inflation is three above target, which is within the margin of error, within the standard deviation. If you look at the labor market, you know, the unployment rate is at four point one percent. That's below a level a natural rate. So we're getting rather close. But the job isn't done, and you know, we're very committed. I am committed. My colleagues are very committed to finishing that job.
Speaker 1: I take it from the way you've set this up that you think policy is restrictive now is it significantly so?
Speaker 3: So context before we began to using cycle in September, I think one could one could say policy was either restrictive or perhaps very restrictive. A way to think of it is the policy or rate was above by some margin what policy rules will suggest to you that it should be. And you can see it in the economy when you look at the housing market, when you look at low modern income households which are under financial pressure. You can see it in small businesses that are levered, also having financial and financing pressure. So you can see it in different parts of the economy where the restrictiveness wasn't is binding. We've begun a process of recalibration and we've brought down the interest rate by seventy five basis points. In my assessment, I think, as I said of my remarks, we're getting closer to a policy rate consistent with those policy rules. So that policy rule doesn't mean you're at neutral. It means you are at neutral plus a premium for the fact that inflation is still above target. So I think policy is still restrictive. I think it's moderately restrictive. I tend to look at very broadly at things, and you know, if you look at businesses or households that have access to capital markets, financing, or have savings and wealth in capital markets, that part is rather accommodative, you know, rather supportive. Capital markets are rather supportive, so financial conditions are accommodative there. If you look at businesses or households that don't have access to capital marks, that need to finance themselves in banks and don't have wealth effects, So not on the fans cancide, but on the investment side, cannot avail themselves of wealth effects, you know, those folks. For those folks, businesses or households, Manterrey policy is rather restrictive. So on balance, I think it is still restrictive. You know, given the Materrey policy that you think is optimal, what is the outcome for the economy. You know, there are several Well, how do we do that? Let me go through process. How we do this is we take a lot of input from an array of models. We take a lot of input from talking to businesses and households all over the country. We talk to professional forecasters and understand you know, their perspectives. So we take a lot of input into this and there's always uncertainty, and how we manage that uncertainty is, you know, we have the baseline scenario and there's balance of risks around them, and we write those down and we submit them, and some Wall Street analysts have gathered all that balance of risk data that we submit, that all the reserve banks submit, and they're you know, making statements about the reaction function of the FED based on that balance of risks. So, so going to your question, there are several several policies that have been proposed during the campaign and look like they're going to be implemented over the course of this year and next year and perhaps the years to come. I think we cannot wait until all that uncertainty is resolved to continue our SUPM forecast. So we have to continue to do our job and continue to do the s A P forecasting, which is and input into our decision making every quarter. And as we progress over time, that resolution of uncertainty about you know, which policies, what are their contours, what is the timing of the policies, the sequencing, what is the net effect on demand, on supply, on prices, on quantities you know will be revealed. Now we can't. I think I think it would be not good service to the people that we serve if we abstained from engaging in s a p forecasts between now and the time that that resolution of that full uncertainty is is is achieved, which could take a year or two. Uh So we're going to gradually absorb information as it as it as it is available to us and incorporate, uh, you know, new policies into our forecast. One the contours of those policies are understood, and we can quantify things and understand how they affect would affect the dual mandate.
Speaker 1: Well, you're looking are you going to say you're data dependent in terms of what the new fiscal policies might be? Are you going to be able to make estimates of what's going to happen and react on those.
Speaker 3: So my staff is already making, you know, doing exercises of you know, for different tariff configurations, how might that affect the economy, for different fiscal configurations, how might that affect the economy. So we're beginning to exercise our muscle memory or or you know, forecasting muscle in terms of understanding so that when you get the final configuration of these policies, we can then go back to all these exercises that we are beginning to do and understand. Okay, given what we have to take those as inputs, to take those policies inputs, and then go and analyze how that could possibly affect our dual.
Speaker 2: Many goals Alberta mus still in the Saint Louis fed in conversation with Michael Keith